All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CUP4LA View Post
    I wonder if they'll be able to unload Kovalchuk.
    Don't be silly, he's part of the "vision"!

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1687 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Well Luc, I have one question: WHO is to blame for this debacle?.
    Does it really matter at this point? They've turned the page like everyone wanted.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Does it really matter at this point? They've turned the page like everyone wanted.
    It matters. We aren't privy to the various courses they could have discussed prior to the year, but we do know that the Phanuef, Kovalchuk, Pearson and failed Pacioretty deal show that they most definitely had a mistakenly optimistic view of their chances.

This season may have either opened eyes or reinforced previous concerns. Either way, they made a series of poor choices that made the problem worse before making one decision to help.

Moving Hagelin and Thompson for mid-round picks is expected. If Blake goes further than that by finding creative paths to move the more problematic players/contracts, he will deserve a lot praise in my book.

However, he is still playing from behind at this point, and that house money won't come into play until Carter, Phaneuf, Kovalchuk or Quick are dealt. Those will be difficult negotiations, and will be the true test of his abilities.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Of course it matters.

Question: Did Rob/Luc/Dan (over the past two seasons) REALLY believe this team could be a contender?!?!? As if it were a "piece" or two away? They sure managed the team as if they believed that was the case, right up until about a couple months ago.

If they TRULY believed that.....sweet God in heaven!!!!! These are not the guys to run a rebuild as it shows they really have no clue!!!!

However, the more disgusting scenario is the one that fleeces the fans, and runs the team into the ground for profit by selling said fans on "we are still contenders" "we have a vision"....and all that nonsense. Going out and getting Kovalchuk. Selling Doughty's giant deal on the back of assurances that this team is nowhere near a rebuild.
    I have a feeling this was the case, and it has Dan's fingerprints all over it.

At the very least, the Kings have shown over the past two years that management has been inept. Inept management is not what is needed for a rebuild.

I've got Myxomatosis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

Well Luc, I have one question: WHO is to blame for this debacle?

You can't blame Deano. He's been gone a while now.

You knew "the cards" you had to work with when you and your boy Rob came on board.
    So, WHO is to blame for the wasted seasons of couch roulette, poor asset management, and poor deals/trades?

Someone has to be accountable for this.
    The idea that this season's results were some sort of a "surprise" that came out of left field is not going to wash well.
    Astute fans know/knew better.

The idea of "we will diligently and tirelessly work to execute our vision." is pure crap.
    Your "vision" was a DISASTER.
    I’m with you on your points, but there’s one intangible that I wonder about:

Was all this “We can win a Stanley Cup” bs from Rob/Luc the lip service they needed to get Doughty to sign long term?

I’m sure there was also willful ignorance of really assessing the team, but I wonder if they saw this inevitable collapse as a stronger possibility than they acknowledged publicly JUST so they could have their main piece in place before they dealt with the rot.

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Well Luc, I have one question: WHO is to blame for this debacle?
    Can't be Muzzin...now...

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)

The important thing is that the rebuild has begun. Hopefully they don't botch it.

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2336 Post(s)

These always work best of you read them in Luc's accent.

Out loud.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    835 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BDTR View Post
    I’m with you on your points, but there’s one intangible that I wonder about:

Was all this “We can win a Stanley Cup” bs from Rob/Luc the lip service they needed to get Doughty to sign long term?

I’m sure there was also willful ignorance of really assessing the team, but I wonder if they saw this inevitable collapse as a stronger possibility than they acknowledged publicly JUST so they could have their main piece in place before they dealt with the rot.
    I still say Doughty was/is smart enough to have seen what was on the ice and make his own judgement if they were good enough to win a cup (or be competitive). However, while I think that many folks saw that the team had issues, not a lot of people saw them falling this far.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    The important thing is that the rebuild has begun. Hopefully they don't botch it.
    I am more optimistic now than I was a few days ago for sure. Though, I was also more optimistic in December when Amadio, Luff, Wagner, Walker, Petersen and (occasionally) LaDue were getting bigger minutes. When they started to get some vets back and played better, those somewhat positive results were concerning given some of Blake's previous moves.

Muzzin's trade signals the correct intent, just as the Phaneuf/Kovalchuk/Hagelin moves signalled a mistaken intent.