Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 80

Thread: Letter from the Kings - Jan 28, 2019

  1. #21
    Classic player
    VCRW's Avatar
    Karma: 1074677763
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,012
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Well Luc, I have one question: WHO is to blame for this debacle?

    You can't blame Deano. He's been gone a while now.

    You knew "the cards" you had to work with when you and your boy Rob came on board.
    So, WHO is to blame for the wasted seasons of couch roulette, poor asset management, and poor deals/trades?

    Someone has to be accountable for this.
    The idea that this season's results were some sort of a "surprise" that came out of left field is not going to wash well.
    Astute fans know/knew better.

    The idea of "we will diligently and tirelessly work to execute our vision." is pure crap.
    Your "vision" was a DISASTER.
    Please... this is still Lombardi’s mess. That said, this will be the season & offseason when Blake shows his mettle... or not.

  2. #22
    All Star
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2127751647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2172 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Please... this is still Lombardi’s mess. That said, this will be the season & offseason when Blake shows his mettle... or not.
    It WAS Deano's mess. Blake stepped in and made it worse for two seasons.

    Hired the wrong coach, then hired another wrong coach.

    Made bone-headed moves like Phaneuf, Kovy, & Hags.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show has been a mess and a complete waste of 2 seasons.
    They were not honest with the fans, and made little to no attempt to address the Deano disaster.

    You can't say Rob at the helm for the last two seasons made Deano's mess "better'.
    He dug a "deeper" hole over two seasons. He wasted 2 seasons of valuable time.
    We could have been two years ahead on the re-build.
    Instead, it appears we are going to start at year 3.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show have PLENTY to blame.
    Yet, Luc makes it appear like it was all some huge surprise and he, Rob, Dan are not responsible.

  3. #23
    First Kings game 12/30/67
    spudboy's Avatar
    Karma: 1079000
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

    Default

    I wouldn't call the Hagelin move a mistake. Moving Pearson at 4 mil, this year and next year, while he had 1 point in 17 games, and was a -9, probably wasn't easy. Plus, Hagelin could draw something, as a rental.

  4. #24
    Classic player
    VCRW's Avatar
    Karma: 1074677763
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,012
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    It WAS Deano's mess. Blake stepped in and made it worse for two seasons.

    Hired the wrong coach, then hired another wrong coach.

    Made bone-headed moves like Phaneuf, Kovy, & Hags.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show has been a mess and a complete waste of 2 seasons.
    They were not honest with the fans, and made little to no attempt to address the Deano disaster.

    You can't say Rob at the helm for the last two seasons made Deano's mess "better'.
    He dug a "deeper" hole over two seasons. He wasted 2 seasons of valuable time.
    We could have been two years ahead on the re-build.
    Instead, it appears we are going to start at year 3.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show have PLENTY to blame.
    Yet, Luc makes it appear like it was all some huge surprise and he, Rob, Dan are not responsible.
    Please... it's very simple to understand any team's hope to sustain the successes from past seasons. I can't think of a single sports franchise that has won championships that has not tried to hang onto the glory too long. They all want to keep the coffers full and butts in the seats.

    It's very clear from all that has come from Luc & Rob is that ownership wanted to keep hope alive. It now is equally clear that the entire organization is committed to change.

    Embrace the future.
    Last edited by VCRW; January 29th, 2019 at 04:10 PM.

  5. #25
    All Star
    Ice24's Avatar
    Karma: 1254000
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2216 Post(s)

    Default

    Hags a mistake? Expiring contract, giving away someone that was 1 for the 18 games. Great move!

  6. #26
    All Star
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2127751647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,479
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2172 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Please... it's very simple to understand any team's hope to sustain the successes from past seasons. I can't think of a single sports franchise that has won championships that has not tried to hang onto the glory too long. They all want to keep the coffers full and butts in the seats.

    It's very clear from all that has come from Luc & Rob is that ownership wanted to keep hope alive. It now is equally clear that the entire organization is committed to change.

    Embrace the future.
    You make my point all the more clear.
    Deano preached hard and fast about not getting caught up in that trap of chasing the championship and hanging on to the glory for too long.
    Then, and we may never know why, went EXACTLY against what he was preaching about and played the dumb game of trying to hang on to the glory for too long.

    It's the reason why he was canned.

    Then the Luc/Rob/Dan show comes on the scene, and what do they do? The exact same thing Deano was fired for.

    Wanting success is one thing. Continuing to make the same dumb moves that got the guy before you fired is a whole other level of stupid.


    The Luc/Rob/Dan show of "keeping hop alive" was a lie that they were more than willing to sell to the fans for profit.
    Truth be told Luc/Rob/Dan were not remotely honest on the state of the franchise, and how they relayed it to the fans.

    If you don't believe that, then you can only then believe that they are the biggest bunch of management clowns in the league.

  7. #27
    1st Scoring Line
    hokiecat's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,927
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1284 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    It WAS Deano's mess. Blake stepped in and made it worse for two seasons.

    Hired the wrong coach, then hired another wrong coach.

    Made bone-headed moves like Phaneuf, Kovy, & Hags.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show has been a mess and a complete waste of 2 seasons.
    They were not honest with the fans, and made little to no attempt to address the Deano disaster.

    You can't say Rob at the helm for the last two seasons made Deano's mess "better'.
    He dug a "deeper" hole over two seasons. He wasted 2 seasons of valuable time.
    We could have been two years ahead on the re-build.
    Instead, it appears we are going to start at year 3.

    The Luc/Rob/Dan show have PLENTY to blame.
    Yet, Luc makes it appear like it was all some huge surprise and he, Rob, Dan are not responsible.
    Please... it's very simple to understand any team's hope to sustain the successes from past seasons. I can't think of a single sports franchise that has won championships that has not tried to hang onto the glory too long. They all want to keep the coffers full and butts in the seats.

    It's very clear from all that has come from Luc & Rob is that ownership wanted to keep hope alive. It now is equally clear that the entire organization is committed to change.

    Embrace the future.
    This.

    Dumping Pearson was a plus not a minus. Two years of solid drafting. Signing guys like Iafallo, Brickley, and Cal as college FA have been excellent moves.

    It took leadership to long to realize the Cup era was not sustainable but overall the moves the past 2 years are far better than Deans last 2 years.

  8. #28
    All Star
    Helvetica's Avatar
    Karma: 1048492647
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1687 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    It matters. We aren't privy to the various courses they could have discussed prior to the year, but we do know that the Phanuef, Kovalchuk, Pearson and failed Pacioretty deal show that they most definitely had a mistakenly optimistic view of their chances.

    This season may have either opened eyes or reinforced previous concerns. Either way, they made a series of poor choices that made the problem worse before making one decision to help.

    Moving Hagelin and Thompson for mid-round picks is expected. If Blake goes further than that by finding creative paths to move the more problematic players/contracts, he will deserve a lot praise in my book.

    However, he is still playing from behind at this point, and that house money won't come into play until Carter, Phaneuf, Kovalchuk or Quick are dealt. Those will be difficult negotiations, and will be the true test of his abilities.
    But like you said, we aren't privy to the various courses discussed (seems obvious based on what they did though). It certainly appeared that they decided to do what they could to give the team one more shot at redemption. With respect to the rebuild though, i'm not totally convinced that the kovalchuk and phaneuf deals really matter. If they work out, the team is in a better position to compete. If they fail, they rebuild, and neither of those two contracts really matter. Pearson was a pretty poor decision, they all were, but i can at least understand the rationale.

    I think at this point, it should be expected that Carter gets dealt. Phaneuf will probably rot here. Kovalchuk could potentially be traded after next season (unlikely right now). And there have at least been rumors of Quick's departure. The way I see it, both Lombardi and Blake have made some missteps, but those decisions haveto be placed in context. The team wasn't far removed from winning, and i'd assume ownership wanted to press on.

    Either way, does anybody really expect this rebuild to happen in 2 years? I think 3 is minimum, in which case the phaneuf and kovalchuk contracts simply cost money. If Blake does in fact, stop short, and we don't see the moves that need to be made, then yeah... **** that. But so far, it appears he's decided to take the plunge. What im hoping to see are some additional trades, and potentially have the Kings take on another **** contract for picks, provided it isn't of the 3+ variety.

  9. #29
    Classic player
    VCRW's Avatar
    Karma: 1074677763
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    16,012
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    You make my point all the more clear.
    Deano preached hard and fast about not getting caught up in that trap of chasing the championship and hanging on to the glory for too long.
    Then, and we may never know why, went EXACTLY against what he was preaching about and played the dumb game of trying to hang on to the glory for too long.

    It's the reason why he was canned.

    Then the Luc/Rob/Dan show comes on the scene, and what do they do? The exact same thing Deano was fired for.

    Wanting success is one thing. Continuing to make the same dumb moves that got the guy before you fired is a whole other level of stupid.


    The Luc/Rob/Dan show of "keeping hop alive" was a lie that they were more than willing to sell to the fans for profit.
    Truth be told Luc/Rob/Dan were not remotely honest on the state of the franchise, and how they relayed it to the fans.

    If you don't believe that, then you can only then believe that they are the biggest bunch of management clowns in the league.
    An organization usually discovers a plan is “dumb” only in hindsight.

    I am pleased that the light has finally come on.

    And I reserve any long term anger for one event in the recent past: the foolish contract for Kopitar. And that was all Lombardi.

  10. #30
    2nd Scoring Line
    Joe Laviguer's Avatar
    Karma: 1386152
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

    Default

    Bottom line: Blake is in way over his head. He needs to be the next to be let go before any other move. No more old boys club and loyalty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •