1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1256 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Welp, after multiple back and forth posts, for some strange reason I cannot figure out, you seem to absolve Rob of any blame and responsibility for the current state of the Kings ON HIS WATCH.

I don't understand the logic where the the GM of a pro sports club gets no blame and has little to no responsibility for the situation of the club.

I don't get why you are twisting yourself into knots trying to show "good" deals and transactions that Rob has done over the past 2 years. (other than dealing Muzz....but that's not history, that is the present)
    His "best" moves are average moves. Sure he may have been aware that the cupboard was empty in terms of kids, but it's beyond shocking that Rob couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the "core" of this team was passive, older, and full of rot.
    Yet, he continued to rally around the "core".
    Did you read ANY of what Bollocks wrote? It seems like you've already got your mind made up that Blake sucks so you ignore the positive data points.

1. Didn't trade picks for rentals like Dean did at the end. So now we have Vilardi and Kupari, both on Pronman's top prospects list, as well as guys like JAD and Akil.
    2. Signed Brickley, Cal, Iafallo, Rempal for nothing but college FA chump change. Rebuilding the organizational depth that was gutted.
    3. Signed 70 and 73 to reasonable deals in both AAV and term. And then dumped 70 for Hagelin when he was underperforming and gave no indications of returning to his 25-goal pace from 2 years ago.
    4. Etc (not going to rehash)

You realize that the coaching job was very likely promised to Stevens for sticking around under Sutter. It would have been hard to renege on that deal and have any credibility in the hockey community. They did finish with 98 points last season, +12 from the year before, so the early returns on Stevens were good. They got swept in the playoffs but what if they had a healthy Muzzin and Doughty isn't suspended and they had another scorer in Kovalchuk? The Kings look awful now but most preseason predictions had them as a playoff team. 17-18 looks like fool's gold now but I don't think it was crazy to be optimistic.

Why would Rob burn it all down when the team had improved by 12 points year over year?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    571 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Did you read ANY of what Bollocks wrote? It seems like you've already got your mind made up that Blake sucks so you ignore the positive data points.

1. Didn't trade picks for rentals like Dean did at the end. So now we have Vilardi and Kupari, both on Pronman's top prospects list, as well as guys like JAD and Akil.
    2. Signed Brickley, Cal, Iafallo, Rempal for nothing but college FA chump change. Rebuilding the organizational depth that was gutted.
    3. Signed 70 and 73 to reasonable deals in both AAV and term. And then dumped 70 for Hagelin when he was underperforming and gave no indications of returning to his 25-goal pace from 2 years ago.
    4. Etc (not going to rehash)

You realize that the coaching job was very likely promised to Stevens for sticking around under Sutter. It would have been hard to renege on that deal and have any credibility in the hockey community. They did finish with 98 points last season, +12 from the year before, so the early returns on Stevens were good. They got swept in the playoffs but what if they had a healthy Muzzin and Doughty isn't suspended and they had another scorer in Kovalchuk? The Kings look awful now but most preseason predictions had them as a playoff team. 17-18 looks like fool's gold now but I don't think it was crazy to be optimistic.

Why would Rob burn it all down when the team had improved by 12 points year over year?
    It wasn't hard to see this team would be super difficult to turn around back into a contender without some major luck.

Speaking of luck...yes, let's not forget about Vilardi here, guys/gals. I think that any realistic potential for a turnaround was banking on him coming in and making an impact. They probably also hoped Carter and Pearson would be closer to their old self than they are now. Toffoli shat the bed for 2nd straight season, too. Kopitar decided to disappear again. DD has been patchy, too.

Their plan was optimistic and risky, but...you take risks in order to get something out of the bad situations.

In other words, yes, I'm absolving Rob of most of the blame. There's hardly anything to blame him for, other than not saying "f*** you" to Dan and leaving, but who in their right mind would do that and close his doors to his short lived NHL executive career like that? Oh, I'm sure Moog would. So if that hypothetical is out of the window, it's moot if Rob willingly agreed with this plan or not.

The fact that he didn't deal any assets away for rentals speaks to me that he anticipated there's a low likelihood of this playing out the way they hoped it would. This means he's not stupid and it also seems he's not a trigger happy puppet of Dan.

I think the problem here is that irrational hatred towards Rob that some of you here still hold...maybe subconsciously.
    Last edited by Bollocks; February 7th, 2019 at 12:27 AM.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4968 Post(s)

For the umpteenth time, Blake had AGREED to trade Anderson-Dolan.and the Akil Thomas pick WITH Jake Muzzin to Montreal. The only reason it didn't happen was Pacioretty refusing to agree to a six year $36 million dollar extension.

Had that trade gone down, there is no JAD, no Thomas, no Grundstrom, no Durzi and no extra 1st round pick for this upcoming draft. There would have been ANOTHER retirement contract.

That would have been a massive blow to the depth of the organization. That was just 7 months ago. That is where this organization thought they were despite all evidence.

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2134 Post(s)

Whole lotta revisionist history and "what ifs" going on around here.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

Per the Mayor:

"LA Kings are offering season ticket holders a price freeze for the 2019-2020 season AND 2020-2021 season (with automatic renewal)."

https://twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/1099100856413114369

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2134 Post(s)

Price freeze?!?!? lolz!

During the assumed re-build, the secondary market will be dirt cheap for quite some time.
    Why would people pay to renew for a "price freeze"?

Yea I know, management knows this as well and is trying to stop the bleeding as much as it can during a rebuild.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1256 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Price freeze?!?!? lolz!

During the assumed re-build, the secondary market will be dirt cheap for quite some time.
    Why would people pay to renew for a "price freeze"?

Yea I know, management knows this as well and is trying to stop the bleeding as much as it can during a rebuild.
    It is going to take more than a price freeze. Look at the Stubhub prices to Blackhawks @ Caps. $35 and up for a Saturday afternoon game. Dallas @ Kings = $15, Montreal = $12.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1036 Post(s)

As someone with a Die Hard seat and who was apparently set up for automatic renewal, that means my price is locked in at $18 until April 2021.

For me, that's still low enough to be able to skip games and not have to worry about recouping anything from the secondary market.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)

You couldn't pay me to fight traffic and watch this dribble at Staples. I'll take highlights on nhl.tv at my leisure until our product is watchable again.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    For the umpteenth time, Blake had AGREED to trade Anderson-Dolan.and the Akil Thomas pick WITH Jake Muzzin to Montreal. The only reason it didn't happen was Pacioretty refusing to agree to a six year $36 million dollar extension.

Had that trade gone down, there is no JAD, no Thomas, no Grundstrom, no Durzi and no extra 1st round pick for this upcoming draft. There would have been ANOTHER retirement contract.

That would have been a massive blow to the depth of the organization. That was just 7 months ago. That is where this organization thought they were despite all evidence.
    Elliot Friedman said Muzzin was not included in the trade.