Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1769 Post(s)

Default 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Although we've been discussing all of this ad naseum since we **** the bed to start the year, with the impending deadline coming, and the fact that we know that Blake is intending to sell based on the Muzzin deal, I thought it would be best to start a general thread for all the Peeps we're going to move.

My list is as follows (In the Order of my thoughts about them being traded):

Toffoli
    Martinez
    Thompson
    Hagelin
    Quick
    Carter
    Lewis
    Kovalchuk
    Brown
    Forbort
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3526 Post(s)

I would think the betting mans list of highest probability of shipping out would be:

Hagelin
    Thompson
    Martinez
    Leipsic
    Lewis
    Clifford
    Kempe
    Fantenburg
    Forbort

The will to trade everyone else has to be pretty high to overcome their odds of moving them before the deadline. Most of the retained salary transactions are more likely in the summer.

Time wounds all heels.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

I've said it all season, the player that they really should try to move is Quick. This is not a reflection of his ability or his contribution to the Kings. It's purely a matter of salary/years and the very real possibility that he continues to get injured yearly. Move him now while he's healthy and worth a really good return.

I should also add that any player going UFA next season MUST be moved for whatever they can get. Stockpiling assets is all they should be thinking about this trade season.
    Last edited by Stormy2213; January 30th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2134 Post(s)

With the rebuild "apparently" coming, you gotta move Quick. He is not the future. His cost/term must be moved.

Wish we could move Kovy, but that 3 year deal will haunt the Kings.
    Phaneuf....well nobody is going to want him....another albatross.

Pretty much anyone else on the roster should not be that hard to move.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Although we've been discussing all of this ad naseum since we **** the bed to start the year, with the impending deadline coming, and the fact that we know that Blake is intending to sell based on the Muzzin deal, I thought it would be best to start a general thread for all the Peeps we're going to move.

My list is as follows (In the Order of my thoughts about them being traded):

Toffoli
    Martinez
    Thompson
    Hagelin
    Quick
    Carter
    Lewis
    Kovalchuk
    Brown
    Forbort
    I think Martinez stays now that Muzz is gone. Gut tells me that Toffoli is safe, don't remotely see them dumping Brown. Everyone else on that list + Kempe & Fantenburg, yeah, I could see them all gone. The Carter dynamic (I'll retire if you try to trade me) could be a big issue. I think Kovy and Dion will be tough to move.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3526 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy2213 View Post
    I've said it all season, the player that they really should try to move is Quick. This is not a reflection of his ability or his contribution to the Kings. It's purely a matter of salary/years and the very real possibility that he continues to get injured yearly. Move him now while he's healthy and worth a really good return.

I should also add that any player going UFA next season MUST be moved for whatever they can get. Stockpiling assets is all they should be thinking about this trade season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    With the rebuild "apparently" coming, you gotta move Quick. He is not the future. His cost/term must be moved.

Wish we could move Kovy, but that 3 year deal will haunt the Kings.
    Phaneuf....well nobody is going to want him....another albatross.

Pretty much anyone else on the roster should not be that hard to move.
    Moving Quick would simply be the equivalent of a Gaborik for Phaneuf move. Not only would we lose out on the LTIR protection, but we'd be subject to potential recapture penalties. On an assets for future outlook I don't see what return is out there in a goalie market to make that work. Maybe if the cost of the salary retention is equal to the recapture you could mitigate your risk but again who's coughing up a price worth that? Remember Jimmy Howard is sitting out there as a rental and the last true number 1 goalie move was Blues overpayment for Ryan Miller.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Moving Quick would simply be the equivalent of a Gaborik for Phaneuf move. Not only would we lose out on the LTIR protection, but we'd be subject to potential recapture penalties. On an assets for future outlook I don't see what return is out there in a goalie market to make that work. Maybe if the cost of the salary retention is equal to the recapture you could mitigate your risk but again who's coughing up a price worth that? Remember Jimmy Howard is sitting out there as a rental and the last true number 1 goalie move was Blues overpayment for Ryan Miller.
    Trading Quick would take the next 4 years of $5.8 mil off our cap which might mean we might need to carry some of that expense in retaining some of it but not a given. There are a few team that have both room to fit Quick's full contract and a "Black Hole" type need in Goal such NYI , PHI. Paying down might increase the return but the cap relief may be worth taking less.
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    370 Post(s)

I don't know why everyone puts Toffoli on top of the trade list. We got no true snipers, (Kovy too old doesn't play well with any line). I know he is not scoring much but he gets his chances , he is just snake bit just like any sniper goes through droughts. I keep advocating for Toffoli to play with Kopitar. They are both similar in style as they like to set up plays via cycling and not off the rush. Iafallo could be the horse on that line retrieving and tipping pucks. I know they played together for short amount of time. Hopefully Aaron has some analytical stats on them that he can share. Now that Muzzin is gone why cant WD play DD with Martinez for few games. He is pretty smart on breakouts and much more capable than forbort. I remember when Muzzin and DD would crush the competition when paired together. I feel like DD is rotting with Forbort as an anchor.
    Last edited by gokor84; January 30th, 2019 at 01:57 PM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3526 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Trading Quick would take the next 4 years of $5.8 mil off our cap which might mean we might need to carry some of that expense in retaining some of it but not a given. There are a few team that have both room to fit Quick's full contract and a "Black Hole" type need in Goal such NYI , PHI. Paying down might increase the return but the cap relief may be worth taking less.
    Say Quick says Eff you guys I'm going home, now you get 4 years of 1.8 million recapture penalties, or 3 years at 2.4 if he decides he want that 7 million dollars coming next year but after that he doesn't care to be an LTIR bitch. So you offer to trade him with something like 2 million retained as an incentive to move him. At best he's pulling what, a second round pick and maybe a b level prospect? You want 4 years of 2 million in cap for a 2nd and a maybe?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingSteve View Post
    I think Martinez stays now that Muzz is gone. Gut tells me that Toffoli is safe, don't remotely see them dumping Brown. Everyone else on that list + Kempe & Fantenburg, yeah, I could see them all gone. The Carter dynamic (I'll retire if you try to trade me) could be a big issue. I think Kovy and Dion will be tough to move.
    If it's true, "the I'll retire" threat is a bitch move that should be circumvented via high priced NHL lawyers. If you wanna retire and you're able bodied, the player should take the hit financially, not the club. Although, there is always a chance of collusion to have players "reach an agreement" and retire with payments behind closed doors I suppose.