1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    682 Post(s)

Default The Future is Bright?

Does it bother anyone else that the Kings are dead last in the league and the Ontario Reign are also DEAD LAST in the AHL.

Doesn't look to promising for LA. Both teams are the laughing stock of their leagues.

This can also be a sign to change the system. It's obviously not working in the NHL and AHL.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotherCastle View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that the Kings are dead last in the league and the Ontario Reign are also DEAD LAST in the AHL.

Doesn't look to promising for LA. Both teams are the laughing stock of their leagues.

This can also be a sign to change the system. It's obviously not working in the NHL and AHL.

I wouldn't worry about it. Blake's impact or grading will begin this summer when he tries to right this ship. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he inherited quite a salary cap mess. Chemistry is the very hard to quantify on paper. Either players mesh with eachother on a line or they don't. I honestly can care less how the Ontario Reign do. We're not going to simultaneously bring up 10 plyrs from that roster and plug them in. I think we have some great prospects assuming they make the team next season (Ex: Clague, Vilardi (healthy i hope), Kupari, JAD, Brickley, Walker, etc.) We also have to come to the realization that we're expected to have a few down years to reload, every team is going to go through it. Look at the Hawks, They're trying to get rid of Keith and Seabrook on the backend.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2350 Post(s)

The cupboard being bare is actually good since the rebuild just can’t be delayed any longer. Nobody in Kings brass can even consider “rebuilding on the fly” or dealing good prospects for bandaids because there’s almost nothing there. The only option left is scorched earth with the NHL roster and rebuild from the ground up.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

In other words, it's 2006-7 again.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2350 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05/29/93 View Post
    In other words, it's 2006-7 again.
    Kinda. Kopitar and Doughty aren't going anywhere. Blake has to resist the urge to build around them and instead use them as supplemental pieces moving forward. Clear the path for the next wave of franchise players and use the experience that Kopitar and Doughty bring to help guide the next generation.

SHOOT!
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Kinda. Kopitar and Doughty aren't going anywhere. Blake has to resist the urge to build around them and instead use them as supplemental pieces moving forward.
    well, they aren't going anywhere fast either...

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian20 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Blake's impact or grading will begin this summer when he tries to right this ship. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he inherited quite a salary cap mess. Chemistry is the very hard to quantify on paper. Either players mesh with eachother on a line or they don't. I honestly can care less how the Ontario Reign do. We're not going to simultaneously bring up 10 plyrs from that roster and plug them in. I think we have some great prospects assuming they make the team next season (Ex: Clague, Vilardi (healthy i hope), Kupari, JAD, Brickley, Walker, etc.) We also have to come to the realization that we're expected to have a few down years to reload, every team is going to go through it. Look at the Hawks, They're trying to get rid of Keith and Seabrook on the backend.
    I agree with this.

The future is not bright right now, nor is it particularly bleak. We have some good players still. Goaltending depth is good. We don't have enough prospect depth but there are a few nice pieces. We obviously lack elite prospects but we will probably have a couple of shots at getting at least one over the next two drafts. I agree that this summer (plus this deadline) is the real test for Blake. What he's done so far has been pretty promising to me, but on a minor scale. That he didn't try to buy at last year's deadline told me he has his head screwed on straight. Really hard to criticize him for his first year as GM given what he inherited. In year two, the Kovalchuk signing hasn't worked out but at least the guy can still play and our coaching hasn't helped I'm sure. The Muzzin trade was his first significant transaction and he did fine, depending of course on who gets selected with Toronto's first rounder.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Regarding Ontario, the first thing that sticks out is there are 0 veterans on defense, and too many at forward.

Anyone who could possibly be considered a D prospect is getting a chance. But how beneficial is it for Kale Clague to be learning the pro game from Lintuniemi? Definitely like to see them bring in at least one Vinny LoVerde type next season.

Meanwhile, the top 3 forwards have spent most of the season up with the Kings and figure to stay, so all you've got is Rempal, Grundstrom, and Scherbak! 2 out of those 3 have a pretty good shot at making the Kings next fall, so the AHL group needs a big infusion of talent.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    704 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Regarding Ontario, the first thing that sticks out is there are 0 veterans on defense, and too many at forward.

Anyone who could possibly be considered a D prospect is getting a chance. But how beneficial is it for Kale Clague to be learning the pro game from Lintuniemi? Definitely like to see them bring in at least one Vinny LoVerde type next season.

Meanwhile, the top 3 forwards have spent most of the season up with the Kings and figure to stay, so all you've got is Rempal, Grundstrom, and Scherbak! 2 out of those 3 have a pretty good shot at making the Kings next fall, so the AHL group needs a big infusion of talent.
    Let Phaneuf mentor them Down in the A, since he's useless in the Nhl.

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2131 Post(s)

So who's the Hughes the Ontario Reign are losing for?