Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Future is Bright?

  1. #11
    The One & Only
    rajuabju's Avatar
    Karma: 2257388
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,771
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

    Default

    Blake inherited a mess.

    Signing Kovy for 3 years messed it up even further.

    Brown's play has improved, but his contract is still an anchor.

    Phaneuf is barely serviceable as a 3rd pair guy.

    Kopitar is not playing like a $10M player.

    Carter has been INVISIBLE. Same as Toffoli.

    We're paying Mike Richards until 2069.

    There is no short-term fix available. Right now, there isnt even a long-term fix available.

    But hey, at least MATT GREENE comes off the books this year.. so there's our bright side!

  2. #12
    Enjoy the chaos
    King'sPawn's Avatar
    Karma: 4144000
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,550
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

    Default The Future is Bright?

    Again, the biggest bane in the Kings organization is the utter failure to develop the players. Here is their development and coaching staff:

    Director of player development: Glen Murray
    Player Development: Mike Donnelly, Sean O'Donnell, Jarrett Stoll, Craig Johnson
    Goalie Development: Dusty Imoo
    S&C: Jeremy Clark

    Ontario Reign Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Mike Stothers
    Assistant Coach: David Bell, Jaroslav Modry

    LA Kings Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Willie Desjardins
    Assistant Coach: Dave Lowry, Marco Sturm
    Goalie coach: Bill Ranford

    There aren't a whole lot of people involved in development or coaching which inspires talent or has shown results. And I still don't see how Adam Oates, who was hired as a consultant, has had any tangible results for players getting better.

    I still maintain the Kings have made some good picks, which suggest good scouting, but the development staff (especially with forwards) has yet to show a reliable ability to bring the best out of the staff.

  3. #13
    Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Trapper9's Avatar
    Karma: 4018500
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,164
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    585 Post(s)

    Default

    I disagree with Dusty Imoo and Bill Ranford, I think they have an excellent track record with developing goalies

  4. #14
    1st Scoring Line
    hokiecat's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,926
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1283 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Again, the biggest bane in the Kings organization is the utter failure to develop the players. Here is their development and coaching staff:

    Director of player development: Glen Murray
    Player Development: Mike Donnelly, Sean O'Donnell, Jarrett Stoll, Craig Johnson
    Goalie Development: Dusty Imoo
    S&C: Jeremy Clark

    Ontario Reign Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Mike Stothers
    Assistant Coach: David Bell, Jaroslav Modry

    LA Kings Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Willie Desjardins
    Assistant Coach: Dave Lowry, Marco Sturm
    Goalie coach: Bill Ranford

    There aren't a whole lot of people involved in development or coaching which inspires talent or has shown results. And I still don't see how Adam Oates, who was hired as a consultant, has had any tangible results for players getting better.

    I still maintain the Kings have made some good picks, which suggest good scouting, but the development staff (especially with forwards) has yet to show a reliable ability to bring the best out of the staff.
    I would agree with this. Aside from the goaltending coaches, we don't have staff with proven pedigree. I also don't like how most of the development team is part of the good old boys network of 90s/00's Kings. I worry about the hockey equivalent of academic inbreeding when most of the staff was on the same team. I'd like to see more outsiders to make sure there are various viewpoints.

    The Kings need to develop young, inexpensive talent if they are to return to the top of the standings. You look at the pieces that were added to the lineup in 2012 and 2014 to get us over the top. Where is the next wave of players like Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and Martin Jones?

  5. #15
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1979866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    417 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Again, the biggest bane in the Kings organization is the utter failure to develop the players. Here is their development and coaching staff:

    Director of player development: Glen Murray
    Player Development: Mike Donnelly, Sean O'Donnell, Jarrett Stoll, Craig Johnson
    Goalie Development: Dusty Imoo
    S&C: Jeremy Clark

    Ontario Reign Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Mike Stothers
    Assistant Coach: David Bell, Jaroslav Modry

    LA Kings Coaching Staff:
    Head Coach: Willie Desjardins
    Assistant Coach: Dave Lowry, Marco Sturm
    Goalie coach: Bill Ranford

    There aren't a whole lot of people involved in development or coaching which inspires talent or has shown results. And I still don't see how Adam Oates, who was hired as a consultant, has had any tangible results for players getting better.

    I still maintain the Kings have made some good picks, which suggest good scouting, but the development staff (especially with forwards) has yet to show a reliable ability to bring the best out of the staff.
    Seems like Nelson Emerson and Mike O'Connell had quite a bit more on-ice involvement, along with Donnelly, when the program was churning out quality NHL players. Not sure if face off specialist Stoll and skating specialist Johnson are working wonders at this point.

    In any case, my long term concern dating back 10 years now is similar to yours, I think. They knew how to teach 3rd liners to play the possession game, but they never knew how to develop top 6 players, specifically homegrown centers. Kopitar didn't need much, and since then you're looking at Shore, Dowd, Vey, and now Kempe and Amadio who haven't exactly hit potential.

  6. #16
    4th Line Insurance Policy
    Goon Squad's Avatar
    Karma: 1979866
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,195
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    417 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiketheKing View Post
    Let Phaneuf mentor them Down in the A, since he's useless in the Nhl.
    If he would embrace it like Moulson has, he'd be great there. More likely, he'd take the Scuderi/Setoguchi route and show up when/if he feels like it.

  7. #17
    2 Late to Change My Name
    HeadInjury's Avatar
    Karma: 2007862
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
    But hey, at least MATT GREENE comes off the books this year.. so there's our bright side!
    And the Mike Richards' recapture penalty has only one more year to go!

  8. #18
    3rd Line Role Player
    MBX5's Avatar
    Karma: 1030000
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    And the Mike Richards' recapture penalty has only one more year to go!
    But then there is a $700K-$900K salary cap hit that kicks in for him until 2024-2025.

  9. #19
    2 Late to Change My Name
    HeadInjury's Avatar
    Karma: 2007862
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5 View Post
    But then there is a $700K-$900K salary cap hit that kicks in for him until 2024-2025.
    It's worse than that. It actually goes until the 2031-2032 season. And the settlement payments were designed to increase after the recapture penalty ends. Still, there will be some additional cap room available beginning after next season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •