Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stadlere View Post
    Again, you would be acquiring a high draft pick with him and only have him for like half a season on then you would be picking up additional future younger assets. Not sure why this would be bad. You are not competing for anything next year, so accumulating draft picks and prospects is the key right now.
    The Kings cannot afford Marleau without sending a contract back. Toronto needs to cut their cap as well.

What this tells you is that it won't be that kind of deal where a poor team eats a contract for a pick. It will be that infamous "hockey deal".

Toronto wouldn't touch Phaneuf in a million years. So, it could be a Toffoli for Marleau trade, a Kovalchuk for Marleau with the Kings retaining $2 mil per kinda thing.

Either way, the help would be minimal, negated by having another older player en route to retirement on a team with no hope to win. That is a recipe for the exact kind of malaise that has been harming the team.

The team needs hunger, not yet another player milking their post-dessert cappuccino.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stadlere View Post
    Again, you would be acquiring a high draft pick with him and only have him for like half a season on then you would be picking up additional future younger assets. Not sure why this would be bad. You are not competing for anything next year, so accumulating draft picks and prospects is the key right now.
    I guess on paper (and putting money aside)you can make that work if you force it, but it is not worth it to me for something as arbitrary as team morale. Every competitive team has youthful enthusiasm on the ice, the Kings management makes a move to add a former king killer in his thirties, dope.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    814 Post(s)

I think Blake should listen to any and all offers.

I wouldn't think Marleau is the focal point for the Kings; to take him on, the Kings should get a significant piece back to work towards a rebuild.

Otherwise it makes no sense.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    The Kings cannot afford Marleau without sending a contract back. Toronto needs to cut their cap as well.

What this tells you is that it won't be that kind of deal where a poor team eats a contract for a pick. It will be that infamous "hockey deal".

Toronto wouldn't touch Phaneuf in a million years. So, it could be a Toffoli for Marleau trade, a Kovalchuk for Marleau with the Kings retaining $2 mil per kinda thing.

Either way, the help would be minimal, negated by having another older player en route to retirement on a team with no hope to win. That is a recipe for the exact kind of malaise that has been harming the team.

The team needs hunger, not yet another player milking their post-dessert cappuccino.
    Agreed with most of your points, but Lebrun said they were discussing and it stalled. I’m assuming the stall is on the maple leafs side because Blake asked for a high pick or to take Dion back. Doesn’t hurt to listen and ask. That’s what I’m guessing Blake is doing.