Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cause Mitchrock said so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

Broadcast hockey analysts and broadcast reporters are literally nothing but gossip columnists and have nothing beneficial to offer anyone.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1062 Post(s)

There's been a strong push from the ownership/business side ever since AEG took over the team. Naming Dave Taylor as the GM was the first step in that. They called the shots, he did what they told him to do, and the team was mediocre at best for a while.

The only time ownership's voice was almost completely muted was when Lombardi took over. And that was mostly because he had the balls to listen to them, go through the motions of looking like giving them what they wanted, but at the same time completely ignoring them. You wanna win while rebuilding? Awesome! Totally doable! Here's a fresh 20 goal scorer, a former high pick, and a 30 game winner! You wanna go after Kovalchuk? Will do! I'll fly him and his wife out, give them a tour, make a video presentation, and make sure he knows how casual we are by basically ignoring him the entire time!

Meanwhile, Luc was over in another office removing colors from the team and making sponsorship deals for mustache cream and some chiropractor to sponsor the powerplay. And since the team was winning, finding new ways to sell space on the walls or over the PA system was an easy gig. They sold out almost 300 games in a row.

And with Lombardi leaving, Blake and Luc (with Stevens) was the opportunity to have continuity - keep was what working and generating tons of cash. As long as everything was the same, they could just tweak it and they'd be right back on top!

So, yeah, back in 2008, I'm not surprised to hear there was a difference in thinking between the business and hockey side.
    Last edited by darby; April 29th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)

I wonder which parking lot they would choose to host a Parking Lot Party in 2019? I'm going to go with Lot C, the top level since its open air.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1782 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotherCastle View Post
    Luc and Blake need to pack up and go play road hockey in a busy street
    No need, Blake has a rink in his backyard...on the strand....
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom