Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Not to pick on you, but I'm surprised you have this stance, at least as far as Podkolzin is concerned. You seemed to be very excited about him and his maturity. Is he not someone you're interested in the Kings using their 5th overall pick on?
    For the same reasons I mentioned in the draft thread, no, this pick is so important not just in terms of the player quality, but also in terms of moral. They must hit on this pick, and given that there are comparable players at this pick position, I don't think the potential risk is something they can afford to take. If you are going to sell a rebuild to your players and fans, and expect them to take it to heart, you need results.

If Vilardi was no concern, sure, roll that particular set of dice. But he is a major concern. And the rest of their recent picks are a nice bunch of complementary players - some very nice. This team needs enthusiasm and forward thinking every bit as much as pure talent. They need to make as certain as possible that this choice makes an impact.

This kid seems to have a solid understanding of his own situation. He seems very mature. What if he decides in two years that he still isn't ready to make that move at 20? Hell, who knows what upheaval our country could be in two years from now. Maybe it isn't such an attractive climate for someone who seems so thoughtful and already disinclined to make his dreams the reality they could be right now? Maybe that's hogwash and he does come over in two years under the condition he avoids the AHL like Prokhorkin, but struggles to adapt like so many recent Russian high picks?

I don't see the need to take any of those risks. If you had a high impact defenseman and forward ready to make it, sure, but you don't.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Welcome to the thread Eeyore! I wasn't aware that you got notified when you are mentioned in a post. Truth be told, I was thinking of somebody else, but in his absence, you're subbing nicely.
    Answer the question, because I don't think you have thought this through.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2227 Post(s)

Might as well come back now since the Kings are in the tank. He has nothing to lose but games.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    For the same reasons I mentioned in the draft thread, no, this pick is so important not just in terms of the player quality, but also in terms of moral. They must hit on this pick, and given that there are comparable players at this pick position, I don't think the potential risk is something they can afford to take. If you are going to sell a rebuild to your players and fans, and expect them to take it to heart, you need results.

If Vilardi was no concern, sure, roll that particular set of dice. But he is a major concern. And the rest of their recent picks are a nice bunch of complementary players - some very nice. This team needs enthusiasm and forward thinking every bit as much as pure talent. They need to make as certain as possible that this choice makes an impact.

This kid seems to have a solid understanding of his own situation. He seems very mature. What if he decides in two years that he still isn't ready to make that move at 20? Hell, who knows what upheaval our country could be in two years from now. Maybe it isn't such an attractive climate for someone who seems so thoughtful and already disinclined to make his dreams the reality they could be right now? Maybe that's hogwash and he does come over in two years under the condition he avoids the AHL like Prokhorkin, but struggles to adapt like so many recent Russian high picks?

I don't see the need to take any of those risks. If you had a high impact defenseman and forward ready to make it, sure, but you don't.
    I'm sorry, I honestly forgot we discussed all this prior. Thanks for clarifying, and I agree.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

So a 30 year old wife beating defenseman who hasn't played NHL level in years, a guy who was blackballed from the second worst team in the league, a 26 year old rookie who has refused to play in the AHL and using your most important pick in ten years on a guy who has already stated that he is not ready to come to NA...

This is a good plan to you?
    As someone who has made mistakes in the past (and to clarify it wasn?t harming a women but ?harming? myself with substance abuse and addiction problems, along with facing a possible 3 to 10 years of hard prison time for allegedly having some Mary Jane on me in a right-wing state) it?s easy to judge someone based off of one, or in my case, a handful of stupid instances. And obviously you?re free to ejudicate as you please in your own court of opinion, but I just hope when one does this, that they cross examine someone else?s poor judgements, or terrible decisions, with their own dealings of regrettable blunders, or immoral actions. And when you do this, hopefully you can properly gauge not about how much regret you still hold, but instead how much you were able learn from the experience to never repeat the same mistake ever again and hopefully better yourself to becoming a better human being. Then if you?re still compelled to render a verdict, you can asses someone else?s moral path (post-incident) with your own. Try also putting yourself in their shoes to then formulate on how you would differ from the way they tried to remedy an agreegious ****-up that they would do anything to change or undo. You can say we are all justly, or at times unjustly forced to live with being prejudiced by our own actions and the way we cope with the instant reactions, but pointlessly dwelling on time travel is an erroneous impossibility, and therefore I hope that I?m not categorized by one of the many labels one could put on me. Aside from a few mistakes (which we?ve all made), through the ups and downs I can say I?ve accomplished my dreams of being a professional musician. Even after dealing with an intervention, sent away to rehab for 3 months, jumped into the 12-step program, got back home, stayed sober, and was essentially told like Voynov ?you can?t come back just yet, you gotta wait till next month? and next month eventually turned into never, and it took me a long time to digest losing my band, my fianc?, and all the materialistic things that came and went with it. I was overwhelmed by the miriad of emotions that subsequently came, blaming myself, drowning in my shortcomings, sick of everyone, all the while crushing my soul which I had just began rebuilding. Eventually I said I never want to feel that way ever again, and I worked my ass off to show everyone that I?ve changed and started my own band, and became even more successful after years of uncertainty. Moral of this story, I?d be a hypocrite if I didn?t throw in my 2 cents to try and show the other side from someone who has learned from their past, try to reserve condemning Voynov as a vicious women beater who should never ever be able to play in the NHL again, but as someone who did a heinous thing, had his legacy ruined, fired from his job, contract shredded, served time in prison, was basically deported, and been away from the NHL for over 5 years. We should all be given the chance to alter our path, feel its effect , then in-turn, positively affect everything coming after. I always say we should always learn from yesterday, if only to change yourself to be a better person today for tomorrow.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

So are we doing Prokhorkin Predictions yet?

Cool. I'll start.

Training Camp plus 20 regular season games (he'll play in 11 of them). After his ninth healthy scratch, and sitting on 4 goals and 1 assist (all from the first 3 games), the two parties will mutually terminate his contract, just like that kid in Vegas last year, Shipachev. Yep. Too specific?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)

Here's how Prokhorkin stacks up in comparison to rest of his leagie:

https://www.quanthockey.com/khl/seas...ers-stats.html

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)

OT, but ...

Sheesh. How many goals will Podkolzin score in that league (KHL)?

50?
    75?
    100?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3616 Post(s)
    Last edited by jammer06; April 30th, 2019 at 06:32 AM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    573 Post(s)

Answer the question, because I don't think you have thought this through.

So a 30 year old wife beating defenseman who hasn't played NHL level in years, a guy who was blackballed from the second worst team in the league, a 26 year old rookie who has refused to play in the AHL and using your most important pick in ten years on a guy who has already stated that he is not ready to come to NA...

This is a good plan to you?
    Question quoted for context.

Here are some things to consider:

1: Criminal behavior makes no impact on playing ability. Right or wrong, guilty or not guilty, debt to society paid or unpaid, Voynov is still a world-class, right-handed puck moving defenseman who played for the Russian Olympic hockey team.

2: Despite the assumed conflict with a piss-poor coach pro-tem (who is now gone), Kovalchuk put up 16 goals and 18 assists in 64 games last season. That equates to 20+ goals and 23+ assists over 82 games. He also played for the Olympic hockey team. He's known for his work ethic and is a good locker-room guy. Blake seems to want to see how he performs under another coach.

3: Nikolai Prokhorkin, aside from also playing for the Russian Olympic team, has seen his game mature in the KHL. Last year he put up 41 points in as many games. If he signs with the Kings and is successful, it demonstrates that the team may have learned that marinating in the KHL isn't the equivalent of disappearing north of the wall. #unclebenjen

4: Podkolzin would be competing with Kakko for 2nd overall if he wasn't committed to the KHL for 2 years. His reason for not wanting to come to North America is exactly the same as Prokhorkin's.

If (and I realize the impact of the word "if") Blake was to sign Voynov and Prokhorkin, while sticking with Kovalchuk, he might also plan to leverage those relationships into a commitment from Podkolzin to come to North America after 2 years. It's a pretty strong position to turn the #5 pick into possibly the 2nd best talent in the draft.

From Podkolzin's perspective, the potential to play and room with, and learn from three national heroes might be very appealing, especially if one of them followed the exact path that he sees for himself.

So, to answer your question, it depends.

You must consider that as much as we read on the web, we see only a fraction of what is really going on. At some point we have to trust that the people who do have all the information are making good decisions based on that information. Keep in mind that the team needs to remain profitable under Blake for him to keep his job. The only way to do that is to win or keep fans on the hook with the promise of winning. Considering that Voynov and Prokhorkin can be had for a song compared to their value, and that Kovy is likely going nowhere, and assuming intra-organizational relationships are sound and that team Podkolzin is willing to make and follow through with certain assurances, yes, it seems like a good plan.

If Blake is the lumbering, mouth-breathing goon many of us see him to be, then he likely won't have done his homework and could very likely end up driving the team toward more years of mediocrity while missing out on a blue-chip prospect. If this is the case, it's not a good plan. If it was you or I making the decision based on what we know, it's not a good plan.

My point is that as much as we like to talk, neither you or I have real insight to the conversations that are taking place or the relationships that exist...and this is with embedded reporters. The conversations that take place during board meetings, player interviews, ad-hoc meetings in the back office, and especially at draft interviews will never see the light of day. My point is that there's potential for this team to be improved based on the scenario discussed above; we just can't and don't know.