1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1281 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    The Kings need draft picks so even getting a second while taking on an expiring contract is good news for the Kings. The Kings are headed to the cellar so anything helps.
    Exactly! If Blake makes this happen, I would be pleased rather than sad. The only downside is having Marleau taking up a roster spot that could go to a kid. But, being realistic, we don't have many forward prospects in the pipeline who are NHL ready. Help TO out with the salary dump for a pick or top prospect-- look at how Carolina got Tuevo for taking Bickell off of Chicago's hands years ago-- and then sell Marleau for a mid-round pick at the trade deadline by retaining a bunch of salary on him. At that time, bring up JAD or Thomas or whoever else has started tearing it up in Ontario.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3579 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Exactly! If Blake makes this happen, I would be pleased rather than sad. The only downside is having Marleau taking up a roster spot that could go to a kid. But, being realistic, we don't have many forward prospects in the pipeline who are NHL ready. Help TO out with the salary dump for a pick or top prospect-- look at how Carolina got Tuevo for taking Bickell off of Chicago's hands years ago-- and then sell Marleau for a mid-round pick at the trade deadline by retaining a bunch of salary on him. At that time, bring up JAD or Thomas or whoever else has started tearing it up in Ontario.
    Be realistic that roster spot can still go to a kid, this is just buying a pick

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Voynov for Marleau.

The Sharks need to replace Karlsson.
    The Sharks don't have Marleau.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5072 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Be realistic that roster spot can still go to a kid, this is just buying a pick
    The real expense is yet another veteran player with nothing to play for on.a team that needs to completely move away from old fat cats at the top.

What kind of example is that for kids? You already had four or five guys playing "who cares?" hockey last year. That number needs to be reduced, not inflated.

I am not sure an extra pick or two mitigates another lost of year of zero progress.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Can't the Kings trade for Marleau, take the draft pick, and waive Marleau at the same time? How does a NMC clause apply in this situation? I mean, it's essentially buying a draft pick and the I'm certain a team will take a flyer on Marleau if the Kings eat a portion of his salary. Obviously it would be nice to unload another contract at the same time. If Blake can pull this off, it will be really smart asset management.

I still reserve judgment on Blake. I feel GMs need at least 2-3 seasons to put their stamp on the team. It only took Sweeney 2 seasons to retool the Bruins on the fly.

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2310 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    The Sharks don't have Marleau.
    It's too early on Friday for me to have these kind of brain farts. Ugh!

Don't worry, my posts will make more sense after 5 pm tonight.

I still want the Sharks to take Voynov. They deserve each other.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3579 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    The real expense is yet another veteran player with nothing to play for on.a team that needs to completely move away from old fat cats at the top.

What kind of example is that for kids? You already had four or five guys playing "who cares?" hockey last year. That number needs to be reduced, not inflated.

I am not sure an extra pick or two mitigates another lost of year of zero progress.
    I was suggesting burying him Scuderi style

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

I actually like this idea and would favor it, depending on what type of draft pick the Kings could also get. Not sure what the Leafs would gain, except a slightly younger player with the hope of change of scenery revitalizing him. Also doubt the Leafs would want to deal with the Kings again so soon.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    564 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    It's too early on Friday for me to have these kind of brain farts. Ugh!

Don't worry, my posts will make more sense after 5 pm tonight.

I still want the Sharks to take Voynov. They deserve each other.
    Yay! Let’s get nuts dolphin. See you and raise you Voynov and TT for Pickles and Kane. Two *air quotes* thirty goal scorers and two ‘damaged goods’ defensemen swap. Boom, Bettman approved! I can do just as bad as Rob without even trying but my team is more fun to watch. Wonder how Wags, Kempe, Grundy and Leipsic would respond with Evander in the top six? My guess: inspired.

Do you think there is a parallel between Bran as King and Kopitar as the Captain of the Kings?