1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    That is a long career in the NHL for the type of player he was. He did well for himself.
    It's just surreal as I finally hit that time in my life where I'm older than the players that are retiring and I still consider them my age!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketheKing View Post
    It's just surreal as I finally hit that time in my life where I'm older than the players that are retiring and I still consider them my age!
    I've started realizing my age when I see players playing and I remember watching their dad play at THEIR age like Kurtis Macdermid's dad Paul who was probably the best bodychecker in the league with Hartford.

Earl

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1581 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    That is a long career in the NHL for the type of player he was. He did well for himself.
    Yeah he did
    Kubrick
    The Kings roster is like a late stage game of Tetris. What they really need is a long skinny piece but all we keep getting are Kyle Clifford and Nate Thompson shaped blocks.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    508 Post(s)

Good move by the Kings. Dion's best days were long gone. He seems like a good guy, but he can't play.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Yeah he did
    Not bad for sloppy seconds.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)

I for one am not a fan of the way contract structure has evolved in the NHL.

Today every player good enough to sign a long term deal ends up reviled by fans, ridiculed by the media, resented and treated like a disease by their own teams because nobody can maintain a consistent level of play long enough to match their contracts. Honestly, it makes following the sport kind of a ****ing drag, man. Save this game from itself again, and let players age with a shred of dignity. Max term is too long and AAV sets everyone up for failure.

How fun is it hating your team's legendary players and the GMs who signed them to long term deals? Cheering for waivers, and getting pissed about buyout strategies and cap ramifications? Calling somebody a bum because he's no longer a top 6 forward but still gets paid like one? And don't tell me to just ignore the business side, that's not possible. None of the personnel decisions would make any sense at all if taken out of that context.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    I for one am not a fan of the way contract structure has evolved in the NHL.

Today every player good enough to sign a long term deal ends up reviled by fans, ridiculed by the media, resented and treated like a disease by their own teams because nobody can maintain a consistent level of play long enough to match their contracts. Honestly, it makes following the sport kind of a ****ing drag, man. Save this game from itself again, and let players age with a shred of dignity. Max term is too long and AAV sets everyone up for failure.

How fun is it hating your team's legendary players and the GMs who signed them to long term deals? Cheering for waivers, and getting pissed about buyout strategies and cap ramifications? Calling somebody a bum because he's no longer a top 6 forward but still gets paid like one? And don't tell me to just ignore the business side, that's not possible. None of the personnel decisions would make any sense at all if taken out of that context.
    Exactly, that's what I've been saying. Two to three-year max contracts should be allowed in the new NHL. This will prevent clubs from shooting themselves in the foot with heavily depreciated assets and prevent other teams from driving up crazy retirement contracts through ridiculous bidding wars.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1581 Post(s)

I hope max contract length does get down to 4 years, 5 if re-signing.
    But the players union won't go for it. Until the guaranteed money in the extra years doesn't mean much (what's happening now in the NBA), players won't give it up easily.
    Kubrick
    The Kings roster is like a late stage game of Tetris. What they really need is a long skinny piece but all we keep getting are Kyle Clifford and Nate Thompson shaped blocks.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

This is why the "its only a million cap hit after year 2 and doesn't really matter" argument does not resonate with me. I realize that the Kings will likely not contend over the next year or two at least, but the combination of Phaneuf and Richards hits with possibly a lower than expected cap in future years, cannot in any way be a good thing and could very well hamstring the team when trying to sign players during that time, even to longer term deals since the AAV hits from day one.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...95573274828800

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2165 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    I hope max contract length does get down to 4 years, 5 if re-signing.
    But the players union won't go for it. Until the guaranteed money in the extra years doesn't mean much (what's happening now in the NBA), players won't give it up easily.
    Stay tuned for a looooong lock-out.
    The next CBA "negotiations" are going to be a doozy!