Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakers 2019-2020 Thread (Hey, Maybe We Can Win This Time With Anthony Davis)

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

Default Lakers 2019-2020 Thread (Hey, Maybe We Can Win This Time With Anthony Davis)

Anthony Davis acquired for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks ? including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft, per Woj.

They will have space for another max contract and kept Kuzma, which I guess was a key given his low contract.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3692 Post(s)

Sad that Ingram is gone but it had to be done. Keeping Kuzma is huge though!

Losing all those 1st round picks sound bad but at the same time this is the Lakers we're talking about. Enough losing. Let's start winning and those will be super late 1st rounders in the future for New Orleans.

Now we'll see who we can attract in free agency.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

From what I've reviewed online, here are some more details.

The trade will be official on July 6. Lakers can't make the deal now and get the chance to sign a max free agent. It would have been ideal for the trade to go down in late July as the way the CBA works, the Lakers would have had more cap space then.

Davis has a $4 million trade kicker which he can waive. No word on that, but it hurts the team if he doesn't, so I'm guessing he does. If he waives the kicker and if Wagner and Bonga are both traded, the Lakers can get within $500k of a max slot.

In addition to the #4 pick in this draft, the Lakers' 2021 first round pick goes to New Orleans if it’s in the top eight. If not they’ll get an unprotected first in 2022. New Orleans has the right to swap first round picks in 2023 (only happens if they have a better record than the Lakers that year). New Orleans get an unprotected first in 2024, with a right to defer it to 2025.

Did New Orleans bend the Lakers over on this? Absolutely. But reports are that the Lakers are going to pursue Kawhi now. If he signs, it would certainly be worth it.

If this all pans out, the Lakers will have to renounce or trade everyone else so they will be left with a roster of LeBron, Davis, Leonard and Kuzma. They will have the room exception, which is $4.76 million. Everyone else will need to be signed to minimums. I could see Caruso and McGee coming back. Then you fill out the roster with vet players chasing a title.
    Last edited by HeadInjury; June 16th, 2019 at 09:56 AM.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3692 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    In addition to the #4 pick in this draft, the Lakers' 2021 first round pick goes to New Orleans if it’s in the top eight. If not they’ll get an unprotected first in 2022. New Orleans has the right to swap first round picks in 2023 (only happens if they have a better record than the Lakers that year). New Orleans get an unprotected first in 2024, with a right to defer it to 2025.
    Interesting. So we keep the 2020 no matter how good or bad it is. So New Orleans is pretty much banking on the fact that the 2021/2022 and beyond picks are top picks because by then Lebron is done and if some crazy chance Davis doesn't sign an extension, then they'll get the upper hand easily.

Meanwhile for us is to just freaking win. Enough losing already.

So long GS doesn't continue their super team we should be good.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    Interesting. So we keep the 2020 no matter how good or bad it is. So New Orleans is pretty much banking on the fact that the 2021/2022 and beyond picks are top picks because by then Lebron is done and if some crazy chance Davis doesn't sign an extension, then they'll get the upper hand easily.

Meanwhile for us is to just freaking win. Enough losing already.

So long GS doesn't continue their super team we should be good.
    The cap numbers make my head hurt. But I think half of we was go after Kawhi/Kyrie/kemba/other hard, the other half was spend the remaining money on guys like patrick beverly/seth curry etc. And of course the third half of me says I don't comprehend all the salaries/figures so let it just play out and see what happens.
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; June 17th, 2019 at 08:09 AM.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

Lakers made a trade with Orlando to acquire the 46th pick in the draft and selected Talen Horton-Tucker, a 6'4", 240 pound guard from Iowa State with an insane 7'1" wingspan. He is said by some to be a first round talent, but is obviously not in the greatest shape. He was the youngest player in the draft and does not turn 19 until Thanksgiving.

Lakers have also signed Mississippi State forward Aric Holman, a 6'10" senior, who shot 38% from the three, and UNC Wilmington center Devontae Cacok, a 6'7" senior, who averaged 15.2 points on 59 percent shooting and 12 rebounds per game. Both of these guys will play in summer league but don't have guaranteed contracts.

Rumors abound that Kawhi Leonard is not really considering the Lakers. The Lakers have $23 million in cap space now, $27 million if Anthony Davis waives his trade kicker. They can get further cap space by finding a third team to take Wagner and Bonga as part of the Davis trade. That would get them close to the $32.5 million max spot. But if I were them, assuming Kawhi isn't coming, I would try to sign 2-3 good players with the cap space instead of trying to add another max player. They will also have a $4.76 million room exception to sign another player once they run out of cap space. Right now, the roster is LeBron, Davis, Kuzma, Wagner, Bonga and Horton-Tucker, with Alex Caruso and possibly Jemerrio Jones to be added. Some talk of McGee, Rondo and Stephenson possibly returning too. Just say no to Rondo. McGee as Davis' backup would be pretty good.

Edit: Lakers have also signed Gonzaga guard Zach Norvell, a 6′ 5″ sophomore, to a two-way contract.
    Last edited by HeadInjury; June 21st, 2019 at 08:45 AM.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

The Lakers have an agreement with the Wizards to trade Wagner, Bonga and Jemerrio Jones. Lakers are also including a 2022 second round pick.

So we are down to 4 players: LeBron, Davis, Kuzma and Horton-Tucker.

Davis has also agreed to waive his trade kicker.

The Lakers now have $32 million in cap space.

If they sign multiple players using that space, they actually will have a little more space because for each extra player signed, one of their cap holds at the league minimum is eliminated. Those are about $900,000 each.

All of this hyperventilating in the media, particularly ESPN, about how the Lakers didn't understand the salary cap was total BS. New Orleans had to agree to the Lakers including this trade in the Davis trade. That was the plan all along. New Orleans just didn't have any use for Wagner, Bonga and Jones.

Reports are that Kawhi Leonard is going to meet with the Lakers, Clippers and Raptors next week in Los Angeles.
    Last edited by HeadInjury; June 27th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post

Reports are that Kawhi Leonard is going to meet with the Lakers, Clippers and Raptors next week in Los Angeles.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)

Yesterday was nuts. Quite a bit of money thrown around. Lakers really going all in on getting Kawhi. Seems like KL's team doing their due diligence on the Lakers FO, and "hopefully" where there's smoke there's fire.

Danny Green/Seth Curry possibility waiting to see what KL does? If he comes to LA maybe they follow? (if they can wait a week). I should say if he comes to the Lakers, not LA.

Sounds like Iguodala may get bought out, could go after him?

Pure offseason entertainment.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    451 Post(s)

The contracts being handed out are truly nuts. If Leonard does end up picking the Lakers, we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign anyone of note who is now gone. If he goes elsewhere, we will have missed out on a few good players.

It is interesting that none of the Lakers free agents have signed elsewhere. Rondo, McGee, KCP, Stephenson and Caruso. Only Bullock, who was a rental, has left so far. I think there's an agreement for KCP to come back, either for the minimum or the room exception. He was paid $30 million over the last two years for no apparent reason and he shares LeBron's agent. If I understand correctly, he can be re-signed one year from now for more than the vet minimum if he re-signs this year.

Lakers did sign guard Troy Daniels to a minimum deal yesterday. He shot 40% from the 3 last year and his % on wide-open 3's is much higher. You would think he'd get a lot of kick out passes if defenses are trying to deal with LeBron, Davis and hopefully Leonard.

In past seasons, I've recapped summer league, but after watching about 10 minutes of the first game yesterday, there is no point in doing that. They were awful and the guys there are competing for G-League contracts. Our lone draft pick didn't play due to an injury.