Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I hear that right about Ontario?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)

Default Did I hear that right about Ontario?

I have this issue that I may have read about on this site (?), or perhaps not.

Maybe I am even mistaken?

I recall reading somewhere a while back that the Kings had their minor league players move from
    the Ontario area down to south bay, to be nearer to the Kings' training facility.
    This happened last year, as I remember reading.

is that accurate?

Are the Ontario players having to COMMUTE from south bay to their "home" games in Ontario?

If this is true, that's a problem, and may have contributed to Ontario having the worst record in the AHL last season.

Ofcourse, maybe it's not true, and I just dreamed it, or something.

What's up with this situation?
    Last edited by triplcrown; July 9th, 2019 at 02:43 AM.

2nd Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

The Kings have invested in these prospects for their NHL Success whether that is scoring and winning (Regular Season/Playoff/Championships) for the Kings or being traded to bring in players who who will help the kings win games (Regular Season/Playoff/Championships).

Player Development for future NHL > AHL Success

By moving the Ontario team to El Segundo these players can get more ice time. Having 3 sheets of ice available throughout each day that the Kings own and more chances for the young players to learn from the NHLers is a good thing.

Also, AEG is probably pushing this a bit to capitalize on further profitability of the AEG arena while decreasing the AHL teams costs of business.

I'm sure the commute is a team bus to and back from games. Its minor leagues they bus around a lot. No way they let players self drive 60+ miles in chances of LA/IE traffic.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3663 Post(s)

San Jose is the only other one that shares practice facilities the same way I think. At the moment you have to wonder how much having the A so close to the N team can cause a distraction. I'm not familiar enough with the east coast programs to know if any of them replicate the same practices in regards to facilities. You also have to wonder about the cost of living for these guys, it doomed the SF bulls to have echl guys trying to live near enough the Cow Palace. In any case it's hard to be part of the community if all you do is show up for games.

Win it again..for Tanner!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)

all the young guys get to live the beach life. and that can be an extra magnet for players wanting to be in LA.

jammer's overlord
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3037 Post(s)

They should make Kopi, Carter, and anyone else who is underperforming go live in Ontario and have to commute on their own to TSC in the mornings like the rest of us schlubs!! Then they would appreciate what we fans go through to make enough money to buy tickets and how we spend hours on the freeway just trying to get to Staples to watch a game!

If you're gonna stop me, you're gonna have to whack me - Jim Fox 1/5/19

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

My understanding is that they bus out to Ontario the night before most games and stay in a hotel. So traffic isn't much of an issue.

However, the whole situation seems to be a compromise that has no shortage of both pros and cons. Certainly makes it easier to share facilities and have frequent callups for guys on the fringe of trying to establish their NHL careers, but also could make the whole process seem a bit more mundane. By the end of year 2 they should have a pretty good idea how well it's working.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Interesting question.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1795 Post(s)

They're living the high life on the beach, versus 4 to a shanty of an apartment, sleeping on the floor, eating Subway Sandwiches, 3 times a day?
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5074 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    They're living the high life on the beach, versus 4 to a shanty of an apartment, sleeping on the floor, eating Subway Sandwiches, 3 times a day?
    What ever happened to earning it?

While I agree with Soup's assessment that the beach life may be part of the sell to undrafted free agents or collegiate kids like Iafallo and Petetsen, most of those prospects are drafted and don't have any choice in where they are sent. If a foreign kid needs that kind of enticement to come over and develop in the AHL on the beach instead of Rancho Cucamonga, yeah, you do understand, but is that the kind of kid you want to cater to?

I dunno, I think a rougher road to the NHL helps more than it hurts.