Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period came on The Inappropriate Earl Podcast.........

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I don't think the dreaded "black hole" was ever meant to be considered a single season obstacle. It was the repetition of constantly picking in the middle of the first round while simultaneously never being considered a contender. In a single season anything can happen and where your team finishes in the standings can have just as much to do with the other teams in the division as how your team plays.

In regards to effort... giving a full effort is great and clearly more admirable than giving no effort or a lesser effort... BUT.... three men pulling a rope in one direction at maximum effort and three men pulling the same rope in the opposite direction at maximum effort gives you six guys giving maximum effort and not accomplishing anything at all.

Work smarter, not harder. Effort has to be applied to useful tasks in coordination with the rest of the team. Applaud the effort but don't suggest it's enough to justify ice time or a specific role.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    I mean I'll assume the team will bounce back to a degree under a no BS coach and like I said on the podcast I'm worried they'll slide into an 8 spot which is the no man's land no team wants as draft wise you end up with who knows? I don't think too many guys dogged it last year, Carter to me was the lone guy where I thought he looks like he's given up and I'll even cut him some slack given his injury. I don't see this team being nearly as bad as they were last year and although Kovalchuk didn't come over to maybe sneak into a 1st round exit, I'd assume he gives a full effort so worst case scenario he could get traded to a contending team?

I love talking hockey and I don't think we are arguing at all so fire away, after 20 years of stand up comedy I don't take too much personally!

Earl
    Understood. We've established that you love to laugh so channel that energy now. I think this team is a bad haircut away from 31st place. One hiccup, they'll fold. But, am hoping for the best just typing from the perspective of the of the last few years. No one is self motivated and playing with pride is just a slogan on a t-shirt. To quote Homer (Simpson, duh): "Prove me wrong Silent Bob".

Never thought we were fighting but as the sole member of burn this team to the ground, I was trying to be considerate insuring everyone is still having fun in their own way.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Understood. We've established that you love to laugh so channel that energy now. I think this team is a bad haircut away from 31st place. One hiccup, they'll fold. But, am hoping for the best just typing from the perspective of the of the last few years. No one is self motivated and playing with pride is just a slogan on a t-shirt. To quote Homer (Simpson, duh): "Prove me wrong Silent Bob".

Never thought we were fighting but as the sole member of burn this team to the ground, I was trying to be considerate insuring everyone is still having fun in their own way.
    My biggest fear is under a new coach the following players have better years:
    Carter-can't get worse
    Toffoli-contract year, trust me he'll have a better year
    Kovalchuk-I'll predict 25 goals with increased playing time and a new coach who likes offense
    Kopitar-I think will play better
    Doughty-new coach will spark him
    Quick-wants to prove he still has it and with the 2 kids nipping at his heals he'll play better
    Grundstrom-wants to prove he's a legit NHL'r

Now all this is just guessing but with the good goaltending we have no matter who's in net I see this as a bubble team and McLellan didn't come here to lose so he's motivated to let everyone know Edmonton wasn't him but the management for the most part. The reality is for the full rebuild to happen we need another Top 5 pick but if even half of my predictions come true out of bad luck I see us coming in around #8 which is the WORST position to hit when targeting a rebuild. Maybe we can do what the Rangers did and do a partial rebuild but even they had the #2 pick which we may or may not ever get given our luck with the lottery balls.

Earl

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3325 Post(s)

Now all this is just guessing but with the good goaltending we have no matter who's in net I see this as a bubble team and McLellan didn't come here to lose so he's motivated to let everyone know Edmonton wasn't him but the management for the most part. The reality is for the full rebuild to happen we need another Top 5 pick but if even half of my predictions come true out of bad luck I see us coming in around #8 which is the WORST position to hit when targeting a rebuild. Maybe we can do what the Rangers did and do a partial rebuild but even they had the #2 pick which we may or may not ever get given our luck with the lottery balls.

Earl
    Well, it's hardly ideal but it is not impossible to do well without having high picks. The last time the Blues had a top 10 pick was in 2008 (Pietrangelo at #4). They had a #1 overall pick in '06 and the last top five pick before that was in '89.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Well, it's hardly ideal but it is not impossible to do well without having high picks. The last time the Blues had a top 10 pick was in 2008 (Pietrangelo at #4). They had a #1 overall pick in '06 and the last top five pick before that was in '89.
    Oh for sure, I just think in the Kings case although they have a good amount of 2nd/3rd line talent in the pipeline they outside of Turcotte and possibly Villardi lack that high end super skilled forward which you can really only get in the Top 5 or so. They might have gotten lucky with the big Russian kid they got in the 2nd round(I wanted him at 22)but even with him it concerns me that a 51 goal scorer fell into the 2nd when outside of Caufield he was the clear cut best goal scorer in the whole draft.

Earl

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

The only way this team will be in playoff contention in January of this season is on the backs of rejuvenated veterans.

If that happens, they can finally be traded.

If enough of them are traded, this team will be sliding back down out of contention well in advance of season's end.

And that's where Blake's true colors will be seen. Will he still want to trade Jeff Carter when he's on a 36 goal pace? Will he still want to trade Quick when he's banked 15 wins? One can only hope so.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    600 Post(s)

I think Quick will be gone by the second month of the season. Someone will need him. Calgary and Winnipeg could have used him in the playoffs.
    I do think you get rejuvenated seasons from Carter Kopi and Toffoli. Getting the 8-10 spot in the draft is not always bad, check The Blackhawks and Rangers last year.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    I agree that the D needs to get fixed, but the big and slow tag really only applies to Forbort and MacDermid. Walker, Roy, and prospects all have decent mobility.
    Perhaps, but two is too many. Walker is definitely mobile and needs more PT next season.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waynet View Post
    Perhaps, but two is too many. Walker is definitely mobile and needs more PT next season.
    I don't think Macdermid is even in consideration for a D spot so I don't really count him in terms of slow pokes on the backend. He's probably 8-9 on our depth chart if you include guys like Claque and I only see him getting in a game here or there if it's against a bigger team like say a Calgary.

Earl

Keeper of Dewy's teeth
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)

I don't think Macdermid is even in consideration for a D spot so I don't really count him in terms of slow pokes on the backend. He's probably 8-9 on our depth chart if you include guys like Claque and I only see him getting in a game here or there if it's against a bigger team like say a Calgary.

Earl
    You may be right that he's the 9th best D on the roster...but I bet he makes the team as the 7th D. Two reason's for that...against certain teams (Calgary and Boston come to mind) having a tough guy on the ice might be a good idea. Secondly, MacDermid has to go through waivers, and I doubt they want to lose him