Thread: ***LA Kings @ Calgary Flames GDT 10/08/19 6:00pm on FSW***

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)

Very entertaining first period and very entertaining finish. Fun to see Drew get the game winner.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

McLellan's style favors the young. That first period was the model of how he wants this team to play, and that second period was what happens when half the team poops out after 30 minutes. Pucks start getting lofted out to center ice, neutral zone possessions start turning into dump and change instead of hit the man in stride at the offensive blue line. You can see, though, that there's a good template in place. Just have to bide our time while certain players are phased out and others phased in.

MacDermid impressed me by taking the initiative and going right at Lucic. So often the best you can hope for is that someone on the Kings will at least react to liberties being taken. He seized a moment in the game when the Kings could take it to Calgary, something that hasn't happened in years.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    804 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    McLellan's style favors the young. That first period was the model of how he wants this team to play, and that second period was what happens when half the team poops out after 30 minutes. Pucks start getting lofted out to center ice, neutral zone possessions start turning into dump and change instead of hit the man in stride at the offensive blue line. You can see, though, that there's a good template in place. Just have to bide our time while certain players are phased out and others phased in.

MacDermid impressed me by taking the initiative and going right at Lucic. So often the best you can hope for is that someone on the Kings will at least react to liberties being taken. He seized a moment in the game when the Kings could take it to Calgary, something that hasn't happened in years.
    Yes, we've been lacking balls for many years on this team. And of course Clifford would be the first to throw hands but he has concussion issues so I don't blame him either.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)

I already stopped watching the Kings games this year because this is a total Todd Mclellen team, which means...Kings still suck. Then I saw a highlights of Drew Doughty's game winner, and he celebrated like he won and important playoff game....made me laugh how pathetic this team is that they win one game and think they are actually good...BAHAHAHHA

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post

Hmm. So I thought about your post for a full day and landed here: Todd is the only one with a plan. He’s created a system geared toward the youthful players to be successful but keeping the roster/lines as is due to (I’m assuming) management orders (read: sell tickets to the “like” people, because those are the players they “like”), therefore exploiting the vets weakness forcing management’s hand.

*evil laugh* Todd you make me so happy I could kiss you. =)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)

Todd's system does not favour young people. He had the youngest team in the NHL with like 5 first overall picks on it, and they were bottom feeders. Todd sucks, he knows how to lose, that's it.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    804 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotherCastle View Post
    I already stopped watching the Kings games this year because this is a total Todd Mclellen team, which means...Kings still suck. Then I saw a highlights of Drew Doughty's game winner, and he celebrated like he won and important playoff game....made me laugh how pathetic this team is that they win one game and think they are actually good...BAHAHAHHA
    That wasn't a happy "accomplishment" celly, that was a total "Screw You" in your face moment by the ever maturing Doughty. The other kings rushed in more or less to quiet him down and contain that display...Just look at the other players that are putting their mitts over his mouth and turning him away from the crowd!

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

Todd's system does not favour young people. He had the youngest team in the NHL with like 5 first overall picks on it, and they were bottom feeders. Todd sucks, he knows how to lose, that's it.
    One does not simply ...

walk to Mordor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Edmonton is irrelevant. Lucic, Kassian, Maroon. How young and fast were they?

TMac's system, as it can be observed today, is optimized for relentless speed and a puck that doesn't stop moving. The veterans all pooped out halfway through the Calgary game, and they hadn't recovered by the next night, ergo his system favors youth because they can keep that up for 60 minutes.

There are no perfect coaches. Not Babcock, Quenneville, or Sutter. McLellan knows enough to get this team back in order. Will it happen? Maybe and maybe not, but it would be naive to expect anything good to happen this season while there are this many immovable veteran contracts on the books.

If his comment last night about certain players we've counted on (i.e. veterans) not belonging IN THE LEAGUE didn't put a smile on your face like it did for me, then you just may not find anything much to get excited about this year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Hmm. So I thought about your post for a full day and landed here: Todd is the only one with a plan. He’s created a system geared toward the youthful players to be successful but keeping the roster/lines as is due to (I’m assuming) management orders (read: sell tickets to the “like” people, because those are the players they “like”), therefore exploiting the vets weakness forcing management’s hand.

*evil laugh* Todd you make me so happy I could kiss you. =)
    I think he has to do everything in his power to coax those veterans into raising their own trade value. Looks like it's working well enough for Kovalchuk and Toffoli, not so much for Quick and Carter! If those guys don't play well enough to be traded, there's going to be a very weird looking Ontario Reign team next season!