Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Kings / Sharks whos in worse shape

  1. #51
    Bar room hero
    Kings Provisional's Avatar
    Karma: 16958846
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    8,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    916 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how Lombardi gets fired while Wilson and Poile keep their jobs. The NHL has some strange ways of determining who gets canned and who keeps their gig.

    jom
    Me as well!

  2. #52
    Dorkus Malorkus
    jom's Avatar
    Karma: 2062031
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,131
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Provisional View Post
    Me as well!
    This works for coaches too. The aforementioned DeBoer and...really how the HELL does Gerard Gallant get fired? Because DeBoer is available? Really? It's amazing how many stupid people run NHL franchises.

    jom

  3. #53
    All Star
    salami's Avatar
    Karma: 2766572
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    602 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    This works for coaches too. The aforementioned DeBoer and...really how the HELL does Gerard Gallant get fired? Because DeBoer is available? Really? It's amazing how many stupid people run NHL franchises.

    jom




  4. #54
    1st Scoring Line
    hokiecat's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,143
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1341 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how Lombardi gets fired while Wilson and Poile keep their jobs. The NHL has some strange ways of determining who gets canned and who keeps their gig.

    jom
    Jeez, talk about a recency bias. Allow me to refresh your memory:
    Sekera trade
    Lucic trade
    Richards debacle
    Voynov assult (and subsequent allowing to practice with the team once)
    capped out salary-wise, no picks
    missed playoffs 2 out of 3 years and lost the lone series 4 games to 1.

    Maybe get back to us when those teams miss the playoffs and follow it up with another bad season.

    Dean was awesome to beyond awesome and he helped build a championship culture (something I haven't seen from the Rob/Luc duo) but he made some signficant mistakes late in his tenure. The gift contracts for winning the Cup did us no favors (Brown and Gaborik being listed as among the worst in the NHL when he was fired).

  5. #55
    1st Scoring Line
    Bollocks's Avatar
    Karma: 1586012
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    612 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Jeez, talk about a recency bias. Allow me to refresh your memory:
    Sekera trade
    Lucic trade
    Richards debacle
    Voynov assult (and subsequent allowing to practice with the team once)
    capped out salary-wise, no picks
    missed playoffs 2 out of 3 years and lost the lone series 4 games to 1.

    Maybe get back to us when those teams miss the playoffs and follow it up with another bad season.

    Dean was awesome to beyond awesome and he helped build a championship culture (something I haven't seen from the Rob/Luc duo) but he made some signficant mistakes late in his tenure. The gift contracts for winning the Cup did us no favors (Brown and Gaborik being listed as among the worst in the NHL when he was fired).
    Not just the stupid trades for UFAs, he should've retooled the team when the time was right (after the 2nd Cup) instead. HUGE net asset loss when you consider trades he did vs. trades he could've done to retool the team.

    Also his insistence on drafting "character and tough" guys that left this team devoid of any real offensive and pacey talent in the pipeline also didn't help. Even with "big strapping bodies" approach you need some offensive juggernauts to carry the load, so I'm not sure what he was thinking.

  6. #56
    Jerseys need purple
    aragorn's Avatar
    Karma: 1641700
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Also his insistence on drafting "character and tough" guys that left this team devoid of any real offensive and pacey talent in the pipeline also didn't help. Even with "big strapping bodies" approach you need some offensive juggernauts to carry the load, so I'm not sure what he was thinking.
    Probably thinking that he could insert other huge defensive tough guys to fill the role of aging huge defensive tough guys. He just didn't realize how irreplaceable and special that team was. Plus with rule changes in the diminishing of ferocious hits, we may never see the like of it again.

  7. #57
    Dorkus Malorkus
    jom's Avatar
    Karma: 2062031
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,131
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Jeez, talk about a recency bias. Allow me to refresh your memory:
    Sekera trade
    Lucic trade
    Richards debacle
    Voynov assult (and subsequent allowing to practice with the team once)
    capped out salary-wise, no picks
    missed playoffs 2 out of 3 years and lost the lone series 4 games to 1.

    Maybe get back to us when those teams miss the playoffs and follow it up with another bad season.

    Dean was awesome to beyond awesome and he helped build a championship culture (something I haven't seen from the Rob/Luc duo) but he made some signficant mistakes late in his tenure. The gift contracts for winning the Cup did us no favors (Brown and Gaborik being listed as among the worst in the NHL when he was fired).
    Yeah, and no other GM (who still has a job) has done similar or worse. Right. What you've mentioned pretty much EVERY GM who ever had a job in the NHL has gone through the same thing. Every nit pick you can come up with has happened. I'm sorry but there are numerous GM's that should have been gone based your assessment of how a GM keeps their job. Poile, Wilson, Ken Holland....the list goes on. At least Holland won numerous Cups.

    Not only that there are many GMs that would have done the SAME EXACT thing with their trades and signings. Many times they come to regret it but still....Lombardi didn't do anything out of the ordinary that many GMs have done and continue to do yet keep their jobs. Recency bias...my ass.

    jom

  8. #58
    Registered Redophile
    King Ludwig's Avatar
    Karma: 89202000
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,502
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)

    Default

    Let's see now...

    Karlsson out for the season with an owie on his thumb...
    Couture out for six months to have his teeth cleaned...

    The Kings don't have soft players like this on the IR...

  9. #59
    1st Scoring Line
    hokiecat's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,143
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1341 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    Yeah, and no other GM (who still has a job) has done similar or worse. Right. What you've mentioned pretty much EVERY GM who ever had a job in the NHL has gone through the same thing. Every nit pick you can come up with has happened. I'm sorry but there are numerous GM's that should have been gone based your assessment of how a GM keeps their job. Poile, Wilson, Ken Holland....the list goes on. At least Holland won numerous Cups.

    Not only that there are many GMs that would have done the SAME EXACT thing with their trades and signings. Many times they come to regret it but still....Lombardi didn't do anything out of the ordinary that many GMs have done and continue to do yet keep their jobs. Recency bias...my ass.

    jom
    Lol.

    I give you a laundry list of mistakes after 2014 justifying the move and get 'every GM would have done that'. And the examples that you are citing like Nashville and Sharks haven't missed for 2 of 3 years. It certainly looks like Poile beat the sell by date on Subban. Again, Dean's problem was 3 years of mistakes, not a bad half season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •