Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Stother's coaching cutting it in Ontario?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Default Is Stother's coaching cutting it in Ontario?

Not trying to make any trouble; Just asking the question to try and get a consensus.

Stothers has done great for us in past seasons (though not last season).

I like his personality and always enjoy his interviews.
    He seems like a smart hockey man and seems to be good at developing players.

But, although I never expected the Reign to dominate the AHL this season, I was expecting
    a better record than they have, and a PO appearance.

Currently, the Reign are 9-9-2 after 20 games, and have scored 52 goals versus 64 given up.

I believe they are 1-6 in their last 7 games, and are slumping badly after a good start,
    somewhat similarly to last season.

Unlike last season, IMO, Ontario "has the horses" this year to do much better,
    and should be a solid team in that League.

Has Stothers reached his expiration date?

Perhaps our young talent simply sucks, and he's just getting the best out of them that he can?

Or maybe, if Stothers is doing a good job of developing guys (as he HAS been doing, IMO), it just
    doesn't really matter what the team's record is?

Is Stothers having trouble coaching within the team's new system?

Could someone else do any better?

Again, I don't claim to know. I'm just seeking other opinions.
    Last edited by triplcrown; November 30th, 2019 at 05:07 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Well, the Reign won last night, with Vilardi setting up the winning score late in the game.

Maybe Gabe will save Stother's job, eh?

Heck, I'm not condemning Stothers; I'd like to keep him in the org, even if he IS relieved
    of AHL coaching duties at some point.

But the Reign needs to do better, IMO.

Maybe they will now with Vilardi finding his legs.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Oh well.

I guess not too many folks besides me are thinking about Stothers these days.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
    Oh well.

I guess not too many folks besides me are thinking about Stothers these days.
    I have thought about it, most specifically in regards to their recent slide. But I just don't know enough about the A and what goes on there to have an educated opinion. I will have to rely on others for evaluation.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    I have thought about it, most specifically in regards to their recent slide. But I just don't know enough about the A and what goes on there to have an educated opinion. I will have to rely on others for evaluation.
    Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do too.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

I feel likeI should go to more Reign games since I live in the IE. Of course the IE is huge & I live 50 miles away from Ontario. But I know I should do a better job of following the Reign.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    I feel likeI should go to more Reign games since I live in the IE. Of course the IE is huge & I live 50 miles away from Ontario. But I know I should do a better job of following the Reign.
    I suggest going to a game and then hitting the buffett restaurant, Luxe Buffet, afterwards.
    It's right near the aud where the Reign play.

It makes for a very satisfying day (esp if the Reign WIN).

http://www.theluxebuffet.com/index.h...SAAEgIU5_D_BwE

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I don't see an issue with Stothers. He's the right amount of toughness mixed with a dose of a grandfather wanting to take care of you and help you succeed as a pro. His assistant coach (back this year) Chris Hajt is also pretty highly regarded. Not sold on Modry as the D coach, it's not been so hot since he's been here, but that's another story. Maybe the one criticism is that he still clings to toughness (he was a tough guy for Philly back in the day) which often leads to way to many PP against (the Reign once again lead the AHL in PM's). He's got a few tough guys, but they are not good at hockey (Reddekopp, Imama and Doty) which often hurts the team. Of course, they don't play everyday either, and the AHL still has some tough dudes, so I get it.

I think the biggest misconception is Kings fan expectations at the AHL level. Many think that since so and so was a (fill in the blank) round pick, they are going to walk into this league men's pro league at 19 or 20 and show everyone how it's done. That rarely happens, and if you're that good down here to start, you should be playing in the NHL right now. Stothers has had to tell the media and the fans to hold their horses regarding having some of these players up the the Kings right now (Anderson, Bjornfot, JAD, etc) when in fact they have a ways to go in developing as a pro. And I agree with him 100%. I've been to about 90% of the Reign home games since they came to ONT, and I've learned a lot about what it takes for these guys down here to mature, get stronger and develop pro structure to their games. So besides the significant amount of pro rookies he has this season, most of the 2nd year players are not very good and won't be NHL players. So there is a depth issue due to the lack of Kings draft picks over many years. The ideal AHL team is a mix of solid AHL veterans, with some really decent young talent gelling at the same time. But depth is key. That wins in this league. The Reign have already lost Kempe who bailed for more money in the KHL, they have to decide soon on Bouma who is on a PTO with the Reign (25 game max and he's a good addition this year), and Frk has been solid. Sutter's game has fallen off considerably (he only has 1 goal) and Rempal, an AHL all-star last year has not scored once all season. And of course losing Luff, Grundstrom, Prokhorkin (players going back and forth) hurts the offensive depth considerably. Without Petersen, there is little doubt this team would be in serious trouble. Right now I would say they are about a border line playoff team if they can develop some consistent play and cut down the shots against, which is a huge problem, and the forwards on D are just as much to blame. The key for this current group is to grow together and maintain their compete at a high level, and that's been a mystery some nights. You can blame the coaches, but there is only so much they can do. Players have to execute.

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2385 Post(s)

Seems pretty obvious that the Kings blueline cupboard has a gaping development hole. The players that are the appropriate age/experience aren't all that good.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

If the team can at least stay above .500, then I'm fine with it.

But if they dip well below that level and plummet
    to the League's cellar again . . . ?