Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: So Rob says...

  1. #51
    All Star
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2128016647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2227 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShow? View Post
    That is what I'm asking someone to provide. it's not there. It's made up by fans basing their opinions by what they see on TV.

    I also never said I thought he was a good captain. All I said was the argument is baseless
    Prove the negative you say? Come on now.

    It is true that we are basing the claims on what we actually see and "experienced"....along with quotes and statements regarding the condition of the team/coach environment under 3 coaches.....under Kaptain Kopitar.

    Your 90% of all the "great captain stuff he does" is a negative claim. You assume to be true so long as no evidence is presented to prove your 90% to be bogus.

  2. #52
    Team Melf.
    Dexter's Avatar
    Karma: 1023000
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6,969
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

    Default

    Captain Utah!
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

    http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

  3. #53
    2nd Scoring Line
    GimpyHip's Avatar
    Karma: 1220000
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Prove the negative you say? Come on now.

    It is true that we are basing the claims on what we actually see and "experienced"....along with quotes and statements regarding the condition of the team/coach environment under 3 coaches.....under Kaptain Kopitar.

    Your 90% of all the "great captain stuff he does" is a negative claim. You assume to be true so long as no evidence is presented to prove your 90% to be bogus.
    He is not asking you to prove a negative, simply to provide something to back your assertion other than, "because I, great hockey fan, know what a good captain looks like during the game." The only quote is him not using a traditional cliché in an interview after a game.

    Hey may well be a terrible Captain. He may be a great captain and is the sole reason they haven't lost every game. Like many things in professional sports, those of us on the outside have no way to know what goes on behind the scenes. That said, we pay for our tickets so you paid for the right to rail at him all you want. Just stop acting like this is a discussion over facts. This I an argument over whose opinion is better.

  4. #54
    Turn down the suck!
    GunShow?'s Avatar
    Karma: 1133000
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyhip View Post
    he is not asking you to prove a negative, simply to provide something to back your assertion other than, "because i, great hockey fan, know what a good captain looks like during the game." the only quote is him not using a traditional cliché in an interview after a game.

    Hey may well be a terrible captain. He may be a great captain and is the sole reason they haven't lost every game. Like many things in professional sports, those of us on the outside have no way to know what goes on behind the scenes. That said, we pay for our tickets so you paid for the right to rail at him all you want. Just stop acting like this is a discussion over facts. This i an argument over whose opinion is better.
    bingo!

  5. #55
    Just... just listen.
    darby's Avatar
    Karma: 3966644
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,273
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1100 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShow? View Post
    That is what I'm asking someone to provide. it's not there. It's made up by fans basing their opinions by what they see on TV.

    I also never said I thought he was a good captain. All I said was the argument is baseless
    Quote Originally Posted by GimpyHip View Post
    He is not asking you to prove a negative, simply to provide something to back your assertion other than, "because I, great hockey fan, know what a good captain looks like during the game." The only quote is him not using a traditional cliché in an interview after a game.

    Hey may well be a terrible Captain. He may be a great captain and is the sole reason they haven't lost every game. Like many things in professional sports, those of us on the outside have no way to know what goes on behind the scenes. That said, we pay for our tickets so you paid for the right to rail at him all you want. Just stop acting like this is a discussion over facts. This I an argument over whose opinion is better.
    Am I in the rooms? No. So is it just conjecture? Sure. Is this just my opinion? Absolutely. But I'm not gonna apologize for giving my "humble" opinion on a web site for discussing things.

    But I did lay out a line of evidence that I've drawn from my conclusions from, going back to when Dean first arrived. And I didn't even go into my opinions very much on him as a game leader. Does he have moments? Sure. Lots of guys do. Are they enough? I tend to say, "Not for the topic under discussion."

    And, as another poster stated, Kopitar was named Captain in June 2016, starting the 16/17 season under Sutter. Now, while saying the team quit under Desjardins is a bit harsh, given that he was an interim guy, the team did basically zone out under Sutter and Stevens. So I'd say the team only quit under two coaches on his watch.


    So far, all I've heard to show that he is a good leader is:
    1) He breaks his stick.
    2) The SJ Series.

    Not a lot. And to which I respond:

    1) Then Doughty and Quick should be wearing C's, D's, and E's on their sweaters.
    2) Valid point. He did drag the team along IN THAT ONE SERIES. Which was now more than five years ago. In a 13+ year career.




    I think Anze is a great player. I think he had the tools to be better. But he is arguably the single best all-around player the Kings have had in the past... 25 years.

    He will, and deserves to have, his number in the rafters at Staples when he's done (apologies to the Tiger Williams Contingent out there). My guess is he'll end up #2 in all-time points scored for the Kings, passing Taylor (1069) and Robitaille (1154). And he's way more than likely going into the Hall of Fame. The Kings have been lucky to have had him.

    But none of that necessarily makes him a good leader or a good Captain.


    "Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

  6. #56
    All Star
    Moog's Avatar
    Karma: 2128016647
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2227 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    Am I in the rooms? No. So is it just conjecture? Sure. Is this just my opinion? Absolutely. But I'm not gonna apologize for giving my "humble" opinion on a web site for discussing things.

    But I did lay out a line of evidence that I've drawn from my conclusions from, going back to when Dean first arrived. And I didn't even go into my opinions very much on him as a game leader. Does he have moments? Sure. Lots of guys do. Are they enough? I tend to say, "Not for the topic under discussion."

    And, as another poster stated, Kopitar was named Captain in June 2016, starting the 16/17 season under Sutter. Now, while saying the team quit under Desjardins is a bit harsh, given that he was an interim guy, the team did basically zone out under Sutter and Stevens. So I'd say the team only quit under two coaches on his watch.


    So far, all I've heard to show that he is a good leader is:
    1) He breaks his stick.
    2) The SJ Series.

    Not a lot. And to which I respond:

    1) Then Doughty and Quick should be wearing C's, D's, and E's on their sweaters.
    2) Valid point. He did drag the team along IN THAT ONE SERIES. Which was now more than five years ago. In a 13+ year career.




    I think Anze is a great player. I think he had the tools to be better. But he is arguably the single best all-around player the Kings have had in the past... 25 years.

    He will, and deserves to have, his number in the rafters at Staples when he's done (apologies to the Tiger Williams Contingent out there). My guess is he'll end up #2 in all-time points scored for the Kings, passing Taylor (1069) and Robitaille (1154). And he's way more than likely going into the Hall of Fame. The Kings have been lucky to have had him.

    But none of that necessarily makes him a good leader or a good Captain.
    :micdrop:

    Most people understand this. Apologists just can't wrap their heads around it.
    Kaptain Kopitar was on watch when his team quit and walked all over multiple coaches.
    MANY were screaming that Kopi should have never gotten that contract because he is not an elite - team leader player that would demand that kind of coin.
    They many were correct.

    Kopi is skilled no doubt, but he is no Captain.


    He's a good soldier. That's not bad, but it's certainly not Captain material. Let him wear an "A".


    ....but maybe if he broke his stick more and got more hits per game.......lol.

  7. #57
    3rd Line Role Player
    Psych3man's Avatar
    Karma: 1156000
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

    Default

    Ranking NHL microcores: Executives, scouts and a coach rate the core players for all 31 teams
    Craig Custance
    The Athletic

    It’s a concept that was coined by former Los Angeles GM Dean Lombardi when the Kings were at the peak of their power during the middle of the last decade. He called the trio of Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick the Kings’ microcore. The theory was pretty simple: Teams that build around high-end players at those three positions – No. 1 center, No. 1 defenseman and goaltender – should be in pretty darn good position to challenge for a Stanley Cup.

    That’s not to say other ingredients, like say, depth and scoring wingers aren’t important. But recent history suggests that elite talent in those three slots tend to equal high-end success. They’re also the toughest positions to acquire. A lot of teams can get two-thirds of the way there, but it’s hard to collect all three.

    25. Los Angeles Kings

    It’s easy to see why the Lombardi-led Kings were so dominant. When they were at their best, this microcore featured a player in each slot you could argue was one of the top three at their position. At worst. But it’s been a while since you could say that about these three. “If (Drew) Doughty was on the market tomorrow, I’d take Doughty. He can play better than he’s playing,” said a scout. “(Anze) Kopitar is still a top 10 player in the league if he was on a better team. (Jonathan) Quick – age is catching up to him but I’d still take all those guys.” Said another panelist: “Their top-end talent is good. It’s just not a great team. Kopitar is hit or miss, but when he’s going he’s still an elite player. Quick has fallen off. Doughty, in a different environment, is still an elite guy.”

    https://theathletic.com/1446088/2019...-all-31-teams/

  8. #58
    O Captain, My Captain!
    Kurisu's Avatar
    Karma: 4829085
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,158
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrankol View Post
    It's funny how many outside observers think they know better than the ones who are actually behind the scenes.
    You just accurately summarized the entirety of LGK.

  9. #59
    1st Scoring Line
    xvvvx's Avatar
    Karma: 1712243
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    968 Post(s)

    Default

    they both have nmc......

  10. #60
    1st Scoring Line
    xvvvx's Avatar
    Karma: 1712243
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    968 Post(s)

    Default

    so many armchair gms in here who have no clue

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •