PPG Paints Arena | Pittsburgh, PA

Ugly Holiday Sweater Theme Night

Last Seasonís Meetings:

01/12/19 ó Penguins 2, Kings 5
    12/15/18 ó Kings 3, Penguins 4 (OT)

**GAME TIME - 4:00PM PST**

TV:**Fox Sports West @ 4:00**

Radio: LA Kings iHeartRadio app

Please remember, DO NOT post links to Live Game Streams in the GDT or anywhere else on LGK

McLellan, Doughty, Luff 12-12 Postgame Quotes

Read more quotes and articles at Jon Rosen's Blog here

Todd McLellan, on the win:
    One, it was on the road. Itís been said and written and talked about as far as road goes, and it was a good road win for us. Grind it out. The way we won was a lot more checking than cheating, which is always a good thing, too. We got a power play goal. I thought the faceoffs down the stretch after the first period went our way and we had the puck a little bit more than we did in the first and that helped us as well. Again, a good team effort, great goaltending. You need all those things to win, especially on the road.
    McLellan, on the improvement compared to where the team was two weeks ago:
    Well, two weeks ago I didnít think we were that bad, either. Our game has improved incrementally and slowly but not dramatically over two or three weeks. Weíve been playing the same game, we just havenít been getting the wins or a bounce here and there. Maybe now itíll start to go our way, but I think the group is improved immensely from day one at training camp through the first four or five days in a lot of different areas, and weíre making progress. Finding some rewards every now and then with wins is always reassuring.
    McLellan, on whether thereís motivation for scratches to do what they can to stay in the lineup:
    I sure hope there is. Boy, if you get your foot back in the door, you better not relax or take any shifts off, and that doesnít mean you have to go out and play nervous or afraid. Make mistakes, thatís OK, but do everything in your power to keep your spot in the lineup, and as I said before, guys donít always come out because theyíre playing poorly. We like to keep other players alive for a lack of better term. Rotate players in and out so they get to experience it. But Luffer held his own in practice. He worked hard and when his number was called he had a good night tonight.

Drew Doughty, on Jonathan Quick:
    He played great. I didnít think he had as much work tonight as he maybe did in the Rangers game. There were some bigger saves there. I thought that tonight was a whole team effort, but Quickie always plays solid and so does Soup. Itís about time we could win a game for Ďem.
    Doughty, on his assist on Jeff Carterís 5-on-3 goal:
    It was just a big seam, and open seam. It was an easy play Ė great shot by Carts. Heís the one that made that happen. I donít know how you one-time it from that kind of direction. It was a tough one-timer, so it was a great shot. [Reporter: Are you looking for that particular play like right when you get the puck, or off the faceoff?] Usually we just kind of go D-to-D and I give it down to Kopi and then we start our plays, and today I decided I was either going to shoot it or try to make a play, and then if nothing was open, Iíd give it down to Kopi, so we changed it up a little bit.
    Doughty, on what the team improved on since the last Anaheim game:
    They outplayed us in the first last game, and we were chasing the game after that, and I thought we outplayed them even though we lost in the second and third period, and tonight was kind of the other way around. The first period was kind of even, we just had the score on our side, and then that second period I thought was ours and then the third I thought was kind of theirs. Pretty even game.
    Doughty, on whether the team is beginning to buy in:
    Yeah, but weíre still not scoring enough goals. With two goals in this game in this league anymore, I mean, I know we did that in the past, but it was a 2-1, 3-2 league back then, and now it seems to be more of like a 4-3 league, s o we need to score more goals. Instead of it being 2-0 weíd have liked to get up 3-0 and then really put the game away, but at least we battled this out and got the win tonight. Itís better than letting the team back in it and having to go to overtime, which we had done in the past. Even though we have too many losses, weíre improving all the time, everyoneís getting better individually and as a team. Itís exciting, but weíve got a lot of work to do.
    Doughty, on Kurtis MacDermidís fight with Nic Deslauriers:
    It was a good, safe respectful fight. The guys on the bench were pumped up. Iíll keep telling Dermie all night, you know, Ďgreat fightí and whatnot. [Reporter: What does he say when you say that?] (Deep voice) Thaaaaaaanks.

Matt Luff, on what was missing from his game during his prior recall:
    I just didnít have the jump in my game. I thought I was slow, thinking a lot. I think now since I went to Ontario and Stutts kind of sat me down after the hiccup against Colorado and missing a game against Tucson, Iím just kind of refocusing myself. I think moving forward from that game was really good, so going down there early kind of was a statement, so I donít really want that. I want to be a full-time player here.
    Luff, on his confidence, and how it was affected by leaving the lineup:
    Itís pretty good. I mean, itís been a couple games since Iíve scored, especially going back to Ontario, so it was a nice weight off my back. But I think it doesnít really matter. I think the big thing is weíre going to win, especially on the road here. Especially going into a big travel week, 10 days, itís important to make sure we start off right here, and thatís a big two points. In and out of the lineup, I think it just takes a positive attitude and when I get my chance just keep working hard.
    Luff, on whether itís hard to be scratched when heís might not be doing something wrong:
    I donít know. I donít really take it too hard. There are a lot of guys here, a lot of good guys that should be playing, and if theyíre not, and Iím not, I donít take it to heart. Itís the NHL. Iím pretty happy to be up here whether Iím playing or not. Of course you want to be in the lineup, but if weíre not winning games, at the end of the day itís about the team. If weíre winning, Iím out. Iíll just wait for my turn, and when I get in there, itís just about winning games with these guys.

Subject To Change

FORWARDS

Kings Injuries:

Alec Martinez (IR)
    Derek Forbort (LTIR)

Penguins Probable Lineup
    (courtesy of www2.dailyfaceoff.com)

FORWARDS

Former King:

Jack Johnson

GOALIE COMPARISONS

PLAYER STATS

PACIFIC & METROPOLITAN DIVISION STANDINGS

Today's Poll Question:

Jack Johnson is, miraculously, a +8 on this season, while Drew Doughty is -8. Couldnít think of a question to go with that weird stat, though, so hereís the question: The Penguins are #1 in HITS on the season (avg 30 per game). The Kings are 14th (21 per game) How many TOTAL HITS will there be in this game?
    You can take 2 guesses. +/-2 will get a point. Dead on will get 2 points.

Take your best guess in your post below.

The only prize is the glory of seeing your name in the next GDT if you get it right.

Previous Poll Winners:

Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed that Kopitar, Doughty, Getzlaf, & Fowler would only get 1 little point between them in the previous game:

Kurisu
    srm1105
    DRGinLBC
    notbob
    waynet
    CUP4LA
    LeftyKing
    Krussadams

Poll Win Totals

King Of The Mountain with 17 points:

LeftyKing

15 points

05/29/93
    srm1105
    Stormy2213

14 points

beady eye
    dannybuoy1
    notbob

13 points

waynet

12 points

AngelEyes
    hokiecat
    hornman
    pray4mojo
    Puckmaster
    Rusty
    VegasHockey

11 points

empire
    Kurisu
    SirJW

10 points

forum gold
    JWR
    MaxwellSmart

9 points

Butch19
    DRGinLBC
    jammer06
    John a90
    KHenry14

8 points

ChilledAgua
    CUP4LA
    Ice24
    Krussadams
    Liz4LA
    Rogie-Vachon
    rozzy

7 points

cokingsfan
    Dr. Tran
    emsomaso
    sonnyboy11
    TooCool
    vindogla

6 points

CIrvine
    Hockey53
    Joe Laviguer
    LAKingSteve
    Sevenhole
    VCRW

5 points

Craig22929
    JayWells24
    NotherCastle
    Nyssa42

4 points

GALLY
    Greg33
    Helvetica
    Rawley19

3 points

kingrussell
    Ragbone
    randdog

Bet your karma in geogirlís KARMA BETTING THREAD HERE

Any suggestions, pics, poll questions, etc. - email me at lgknyssa42@gmail.com

Photos courtesy of nhl.com.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)

Or

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)