1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

Default Draft Thread?

Don't we usually have a draft thread about this time? Especially with where we are in the standings. I wonder if it's the fact that last year we were so eager to get the #2 pick & then fell down to #5 . Or maybe with our current winning streak we don't know how high we'll climb in the standings. But the way I see it is if we could fall 3 spaces in the draft then we could rise 3 spots as well. So the ideal scenario is we keep winning games & then win the lottery.

Anyway, I don't know jack crap about the players except for a few names. So my opinion means nothing. But I'd love to get Quinton Byfield. Obviously Lafreniere is projected #1 & I'd love it if we got him. But I don't know, Byfield seems pretty amazing. I'm sure there are a lot of other guys who'd be great picks as well. I suppose wishing for certain players won't do any good until we know where we draft at. That way we don't get our hopes up over anyone.

Anyway, if anyone's got any knowledge or opinions on any draft picks I'd love to learn about them.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)

Realistically, I can see us passing up to 4 teams in the standings, but of that group only SJ is playing poorly right now. The Ottawa and Anaheim games this week will be significant.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3739 Post(s)

While this will be a stronger group than 2019, I think they will also require seasoning in the A before making their debuts

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Jamie Drysdale is supposed to be a helluva defensemen, rated even higher than Byram who went 4th last year

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...jamie-drysdale

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

Another player I thought of was Tim Stützle. I wonder if AEG owning a team in Germany might mean our scouts are following him a little closer. I think he'd be a good pick too. Although we should all learn how to type umlats in case we draft him.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psych3man View Post
    Jamie Drysdale is supposed to be a helluva defensemen, rated even higher than Byram who went 4th last year

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...jamie-drysdale

Last edited by triplcrown; March 10th, 2020 at 07:02 AM.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    852 Post(s)

Well - Chicago nearly made the playoffs in 2019 - and jumped ahead of the Kings in the draft...

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)

So I won't talk first rounders but certainly later round picks are interesting. These kids could be a ways away but they bring young, quick legs with good hands and vision. I have only focused on the WHL and will start with two kids that are rising quickly up Central Scouting's final rankings. I will post other guys I like later but will post about two guys I have seen quite a bit of off the Everett SilverTips.

C Gage Goncalves - this kid is the perfect example of a late bloomer. Think of him as more a 3rd or 4th rounder. Always had quick feet and decent hands but couldn't seem to put it together until this year, his draft year. Was really not doing much until after a 1/3 of the season and then everything clicked for him. It seemed to happen when he turned a puck over from an opponent at the blueline while on a 3v3 OT. He took possession, quickly spun, took two hard strides to the net and blew the puck past the netminder with a wrist shot high to glove side winning the game for Everett. His game is one of constantly moving finding open spots on the ice to occupy and get his shot off. He is also a great playmaker who has good vision and good hands and is always looking to get his team mates involved. He plays all situations and is highly responsible defensively. I would say he tops out as a 3C with moments of 2C if all goes well to get to the NHL. He will be a prime PK'er and possibly second PP unit. Fun prospect to watch. He is sitting on 33 goals and 38 assists with 5 games left in the regular season. One last thing is he is a key member of the #1 Powerplay unit, which can be lethal at times. He plants himself in mid-slot and one-times passes from the wing with devastating results (he's got 14 ppg so far this year) with his prime shot location of the top left corner.

D Kasper Puutio - Everett just made a major trade to get this defender at the trade deadline. He could be the highest drafted Tip possibly in the 2nd but definitely in the 3rd. A Finnish import who is a very high end skater. His quickness and quick feet are his main asset. They get him out of trouble often and he has killed more dump-in chances with his speed than I count. Takes very little ice for him to get to top end speed. Good size at 5'11", 181 lbs. and he will just fill out more. He has 5 goals and 23 assists but it is deceiving. Everett doesn't rely on him for offense from the blueline - they have Philly draft pick Wyatt Wylie who has 14/50/64 and recent C-bus signee Jake Christiansen who has 22/28/50 in 38 games - but want him to play well on the second pairing (Everett will definitely rely on Puutio next season when Wylie and Christiansen age out). He is reliable defensively and his quickness effectively clears the zone. Plays in all situations. The skating cannot be understated as it is nothing for him to use the spin-o-rama anywhere on the ice. He would be a very fun defensive prospect to have in the group. And he understands the North American game very well.
    Last edited by roenick; March 10th, 2020 at 10:40 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)

I posted this on another thread, but will post again, here:

Somebody probably said this earlier, but the Coronavirus,
    for all the harm it may do, has actually BENEFITTED the King's Draft situation.

When the season was suspended, the team was on a tear, and looked to have some momentum, too.

We were the 2nd worst team B4 the tear, but moved up to 4th worst in just
    a couple weeks of winning.

If we had kept winning (which seemed likely), we might have ended up at 5th, 6th or even 7th worst,
    sending us tumbling down the draft order.

As it is, it looks like we will stay 4th worst, so we will pick from 1st to 7th.
    Besides the picks we traded for, we will have the lottery pick, the 35th pick, the 66th pick, and the 97th pick.

Picks gotten from trades:
    In 2nd round, (from Vancouver)---around the 13th or 14th pick (meaning pick #44 or #45 ).
    Also in 2nd round (Vegas)-----around the 23rd or 24th pick (i.e pick #54 or #55 ).

In 3rd round (Columbus)----around the 20th or 21st pick (i.e. pick #82 or #83 ).

The 2020 Draft is supposed to be one of the best and deepest EVER.

Just a small silver lining to think about in the midst of this weird and scary crisis.
    Last edited by triplcrown; March 15th, 2020 at 07:27 AM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    619 Post(s)

Larry Fishers top 300 for March

1) Alexis Lafreniere (LW, Canada, Rimouski QMJHL)

2) Lucas Raymond (RW, Sweden, Frolunda SHL)
    3) Tim Stutzle (LC/LW, Germany, Adler Mannheim DEL)

4) Quinton Byfield (LC, Canada, Sudbury OHL)
    5) Jamie Drysdale (RD, Canada, Erie OHL)

6) Alexander Holtz (LW/RW, Sweden, Djurgardens SHL)
    7) Cole Perfetti (LW/LC, Canada, Saginaw OHL)

8) Marco Rossi (LC, Austria/Switzerland, Ottawa OHL)

I added 8 because Rossi is leading point scorer.

Here is his full list.
    https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nh...-march-fisher/