Thread: 1993 Kings-Leafs - The NHL vault is cracked open

Cause Mitchrock said so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)

Whenever I watch this game or series, I think how much the game has changed and how less physical it has become. Talk about 6 feet distancing.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Great game. Free to stream.
    https://www.nhl.com/video/1993-conf-...732/c-42901103

If you have time to read, Damien Cox has a great book on the subject:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love the book but I may be biased becuase he writes perfectly for my brain. Main topic, sidebar, main topic, sidebar, sidebar, main topic, sidebar, ... repeat. That's how I describe things too!
    Just read the book. GREAT READ!! I learned things I never knew about that series and time, which I remember all too well.
    Game 7 was in a class by itself, by far the greatest Kings moment until 2012.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannybuoy1 View Post
    Whenever I watch this game or series, I think how much the game has changed and how less physical it has become. Talk about 6 feet distancing.
    Six centimeter distancing. With elbows, hooks, slashes, more slashes, players falling, slashes, elbows. Blake was hitting everything that moved. Wendell Clarke was an animal...it was nuts....and both crowds were LOUD (especially in Toronto). Today the only that is loud is the sh**ty music they play between whistles.

You think this series was bad see if you can find some games in the last "Battle of Alberta" in 1991 (the one where Fleury scored an OT winner in game 6 and slid on his back down the ice). The teams nearly killed each other. Craig Simpson said he was surprised someone didn't die...it was that bad.

Yes...the game is quite a bit less physical.

jom

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)

Watched both games. Some thoughts:
    1) Mentioned above: slashing, hook etc etc. All over the ice...everywhere.
    2) Blake and Clarke
    3) How many ex-Oilers where there? The following year a bunch of them were on the Rangers Cup team also.
    4) I noticed the "touch up" rule was still enforced. I think very soon after they didn't allow that and it slowed the game down and scoring dropped significantly.
    5) You could see that clutching and grabbing had already started and with goaltending improving and the defensive minded NJD winning in 1995, along with #4 above were the main reasons goal scoring fell off a cliff. A sort of "perfect storm".
    6) Speaking of Blake: he was hitting everyone but if you looked at him you wondered whether he had just graduated junior high school.
    7) Jim Fox's voice sounded a lot younger too. Miller was the same as always.
    8) Speaking of TV: It was great having your local announcers call the games into the SCF. Today were are stuck with the NBC nimrods who do the games. It was always real shame that Miller couldn't call the playoffs in 2012 and 2014.
    9) When Clarke scored late to tie Game 6 I remember thinking at the time the Loafs were going to win....no doubt about...when I get that feeling I just KNOW. Well, the Great Hockey God in the sky decided that Gretzky didn't actually cut Dougie Gilmour.
    10) I also still think we saved all the Loafs fans from yet another embarrassing loss to Montreal in the finals. They would not have fared any better than the Kings did, IMO.
    11) It was really a series dominated by veteran players. The Kings seem to have the younger team (Zhitnik, Sydor etc) but it was mostly veteran players that were established on other teams before this: Watters, ex-Oilers, Ellot (sp?), Gilmour, Adreachuck (sp?) etc. Today it's not like that...the kids rule the show.

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

Thanks for the thoughts Jom. I was just amazed at how good Gilmour was. I know he was having a great season but he was amazing. And Clark getting the hat trick. Andreychuk was earning his Andreychoke label. He was pretty invisible in those games. That series was awesome to watch. I'd love to see game 1 again for the big fight at the end. Supposedly I've got the VHS tape laying around somewhere in the garage. McSorley was also making huge plays. These games were a great reminder in how he turned himself from an enforcer into a quality player. The post-game interviews were funny. Fox was kind of asking dopey questions and a lot of guys just played along. But McSorley was talking 200 words per minute. And that Forum locker room. OMG, there's another huge change compared to today.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)

One thing I forgot about how things are different: Nowadays those kind of hits are called (by whiners in my opinion) "dirty hits" by "cheap shot artists". Back then they were "hits" by "hockey players".

jom

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    509 Post(s)

I forgot completely, or never really realized, that Potvin was in goal for the Leafs. Heh.