Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)

Default Valencia Ice Station to Close Permanently

https://www.icestation.net/news/public-closure-faqs

Traffic is too slow to bury this in the hockey player forum.

Now for my personal rant.

I get it running a rink is hard however;

The Kings need to step and subsidize this rink. The Kings say they support local hockey but only recently they stepped up to save a few rinks. The Ducks saved almost every rink south of Lakewood. Let's not even compare the Kings and Ducks about long term support for girls hockey in So Cal. (I begged the Kings in the past to help save the Hermosa Beach roller rink. The best they could offer was a few clinics at the rink).

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Word/rumors around the Ice Station was that the Kings did make an offer a few year's back but the owner's refused the Kings offer and other offers from local business men who are hockey fans.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1366 Post(s)

Somebody has to buy it.
    I say that because it is true (hopefully the Kings get it because there is a huge market for the western valley teams) and because it is why my heart wants (me and my son skate there).

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Bad deal all around...many great young hockey players from in house teams, travel Mites to Junior A clubs and all the great coaches and employees who are out of a job.

I've got Myxomatosis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)

That’s a real bummer to hear — I played there a few times in the mid 2000s, and from what I remember it was a pretty nice rink for it’s time.

fantastic hair.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    The Kings need to step and subsidize this rink. The Kings say they support local hockey... Let's not even compare the Kings and Ducks about long term support for girls hockey in So Cal.
    can confirm. as much as it pains me to see my kid in orange (or jade and eggplant), the lady ducks program surpasses the LA lions’ in regards to quality of coaches and how much effort and time is invested in development and fundamental skills.

Hell yes.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Used to play there and while it was probably the best local rink around not in El Segundo, in all the years I played there I never heard one good thing about the management.

My goal is to stop yours
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

I used to LOVE that rink!! Stepping right onto the ice out of your dressing room. When IceOn in Valencia, BEST ICE IN SOCAL, closed I didn't want to play at Panorama, or Iceland <-- The ice was crooked, small, and water dripped onto the surface from the pipes above. I never pivoted from front to back at high speed during pickup, I learned that lesson hard. Neither here nor there, Ice Station is a good facility, in a not likely to get your car jacked neighborhood. Too fing bad. Kings should step up, like they did with Pano. Ice station is a hell of a lot nicer.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2292 Post(s)

Truly sad for all the kids in the area!, My son only played there one time and I thought it was a nice facility. Where is the closest ice rink, Panorama City or Burbank?

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Very sad to hear the news. I spent a LOT of time there when my kids were playing hockey. It was a great tournament site. Nice neighborhood, good restaurants down the road and a clean facility as far as rinks go. Valencia and TSC were about the only rinks north of Anaheim where upon leaving my first thought wasn't "where's the hand sanitizer?" A reasonably good pro shop too.

If the Kings are serious about growing youth hockey in SoCal they need to save this rink.