Thread: Mike Richards Appreciation Thread

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

I too was giddy when we traded for Richards. Philadelphia still thinks they won that trade, but Simmonds and Schenn are elsewhere and Philly hasn't yet won a cup since the trade. Carter was the proverbial icing on the cake.

I said it then and I'll say it again, No Richards = No Cup for L.A. in 2012 and for sure not in 2014.

Although I know he fell out of favor, his jersey deserves to be hung in the rafters. Obviously, because players with a smaller impact on the franchise are hanging there now...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    931 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vindogla View Post
    I too was giddy when we traded for Richards. Philadelphia still thinks they won that trade, but Simmonds and Schenn are elsewhere and Philly hasn't yet won a cup since the trade. Carter was the proverbial icing on the cake.

I said it then and I'll say it again, No Richards = No Cup for L.A. in 2012 and for sure not in 2014.

Although I know he fell out of favor, his jersey deserves to be hung in the rafters. Obviously, because players with a smaller impact on the franchise are hanging there now...
    No way does his jersey belong in the rafters for 4 or so years with the team. That's reserved for the Kopi, Brown, Luc, Gretzky, etc. type players. Who had a smaller impact that's up there now?

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingSteve View Post
    No way does his jersey belong in the rafters for 4 or so years with the team. That's reserved for the Kopi, Brown, Luc, Gretzky, etc. type players. Who had a smaller impact that's up there now?
    Robert Blake

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Robert Blake
    Hey, I started the thread, but I agree with Steve - I don't think Richards gets his number retired. He wasn't here long enough, and his contributions on paper in his short stint didn't really warrant it. He wasn't, like, a premier player in the league, even in his best season. He was really, really good. And we should know how vital he was in terms of his intangibles to the team. But he didn't have the numbers.

And the guys up there are NHL greats, not just Kings greats. The only possible exception to that statement is Rob Blake.

That being said, Blake played over 850 games in 14 seasons for the Kings, scoring over 500 points. When he retired, he was the all-time highest scoring defenseman in Kings history, and the only one to ever win the Norris with the Kings. Doughty only passed him in points this season, and is the only other Kings dman to have won the Norris. Blake was also part of the team that went to the Finals in '93 and was a 5-time All Star as a King. So it's not like he doesn't qualify to be up there.

By contrast, Richards played a total of just over 300 games for the Kings, 61 of which were in the playoffs. In those games, he scored 170 total points. Raitis Ivanans played 19 more regular season games for the Kings than Richards did. And just to compare, Richards had played over 500 games with Philly, 63 of which were playoff games, for a total of 399 points.

Meanwhile, Brown is closing in on 1200 games with the Kings, Anze 's getting close to 1100, and Doughty's already over 900. And Quick has over 300 more appearances than the next goalie on the list, the guy who's already got his number retired (729 vs 414). Anze, Brown, and Doughty are also the 4th, 8th, and 9th all-time scorers in Kings regular season history. Quick is either #1 or #2 in wins, SV%, and GAA.

So, I love the guy. I'll be there when they do a Legends Night. No one should overlook him. But a banner seems a bit much.
    Last edited by darby; April 8th, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    543 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    So, I love the guy. I'll be there when they do a Legends Night. No one should overlook him. But a banner seems a bit much.
    I certainly agree with all points. Sure Richards won two Cups here but he wasn't around nearly long enough. Hell, I still think Blake deserved his less than Butch Goring (IMO) and even Blake deserved it more than Richards did.

jom

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    852 Post(s)

Robert Blake
    To throw my 2 cents in...

FIRST) If you watched Game 6 and 7 of the '93 Toronto series...Blake was an absolute beast. I mean - he was freakin' awsome.
    SECOND) Way back in the fall of 2011 - I must have been wearing Kings gear (probably a cap) when a dude approached me to inform me that we "got a great player...our captain" - Obviously a Philly fan...he couldn't say enough good things about Richards.

Turns out that dude was right.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    To throw my 2 cents in...

FIRST) If you watched Game 6 and 7 of the '93 Toronto series...Blake was an absolute beast. I mean - he was freakin' awsome.
    My wife and I went to every home playoff game that year but two and yes Blake was a the definite Norris contender back then. We all thought we were going to finally win the Cup that year. We had Wayne, Jari, a good goalie and a true #1 QB on the PP and fiercest hitter in the league outside of Scott Stevens.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    706 Post(s)

robert blake
    ha!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    931 Post(s)

Robert Blake
    Got it...another anti-Blake post. Hall of Fame Dman, most of his career with the Kings. Belongs in the rafters.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    706 Post(s)

Got it...another anti-Blake post. Hall of Fame Dman, most of his career with the Kings. Belongs in the rafters.
    Fair enough Steve but the way the question was phrased, Vin gave a solid "A" joke as the response. I say cut the guy/girl some slack.

While we're here and typing I do in the future want to explore the idea that COVID-19 saved Blake's job. Not today of course (obvi) and I'll site the Athletic article in January "rumor" and lump him in with other questionable future chopping block victims (e.g. Julien?) if the season had progressed as scheduled. So, if you're going to be angry at someone, *wave* *wink*, Hiya buddy.