1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)

I do think the League made a great decision here:

Last edited by triplcrown; May 30th, 2020 at 05:16 AM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1163 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    Is the lottery complicated though? It's still the top 3 picks among the bottom 15 teams. The only difference is because of the expanded playoffs we don't know who 8 of those teams are. Which is why there's a 2nd lottery when the 1st round ends. And if the 3 picks are all won by non-playoff teams then that 2nd lottery won't be necessary, Maybe you could say it's complicated in the sense that they could've just made those 7 non-playoff teams eligible for these picks. To me it's not complicated, just wrong. These bottom teams might have had the chance to make the playoffs but now won't. The least they could get is a chance at a top 3 pick without it being stolen by a team that did get a playoff spot. I know it's not going to be the Stanley Cup winner who gets a 1st overall pick but it's still potentially unfair.
    ha,ha, reading that reminds me of the old Abbott and Costello routine of "Who's on First, What's on 2nd and I don't know who's on 3rd"

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    542 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    From Day 1, every NHL draft lottery is nothing but a complete and total sham.

My prediction: One of the 8 playoff losers in Round 1 will win pick 2 or 3 or maybe both picks will go to playoff losers.

This "system" has been designed to do this. This way, there is more drama for a Phase 2 draft after Round 1.

There is ZERO chance that all top 3 draft spots will go exclusively to the 7 teams who deserve the top 3 spots.

I know. You don't get it. The process is confusing AF. Bettman explains it like a used-car salesman, it's the same as buying a used-car.

A joke of a league.
    The draft lottery is a joke. I have no clue what motivated the owners to come up with this non-sense. I'm not talking just about this year's lottery as this year it's complicated due to they underlying stupidity of what the lottery has been since 2015. Think about it. In the Conner McJesus draft of 2015 the Kings barely missed the playoffs. I'm sure we would have all been delighted if they Kings had got that 1st pick but would that have been fair? The team was only ONE year removed from a Cup and they get the next generational player? Really? That didn't happen but a good number of teams have jumped into those top 3 spots the last 5 years and in most cases it was unjustified.

Frankly, the whole idea of a lottery is kind of a joke. It was added in due to claims of teams "tanking" for the draft. You all should know that players do NOT do this...ever. Why would a player tank so their team can get a high draft pick who will then come in and take their job? That's non-sense. Now you could claim that the GM (management) could do this but, to me, if you start dealing vets that's the normal everyday process of losing teams. In fact, the only time I remember in the 46 years I've followed the sport that you could claim a serious breach of "ethics" here was in Pittsburgh in 1984 (Mario)...maybe.

To me they should just go back to the style of lottery where one team can move up but only, say, 5 places. That should cover any kind impropriety with GMs. Otherwise, this lottery is just a sham, IMO.

jom
    Last edited by jom; May 31st, 2020 at 10:21 PM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    555 Post(s)

I don't like that they didn't limit it to yhe 7 non playoff teams.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post

To me they should just go back to the style of lottery where one team can move up but only, say, 5 places. That should cover any kind impropriety with GMs. Otherwise, this lottery is just a sham, IMO.

jom
    100% agree, this makes way more sense and keeps the league competitive. In regards to this year, I don't think a team should make the playoffs and, if they do poorly, still get a lottery pick. That's the ultimate best of both worlds scenario which isn't fair to the other teams (both those who do not make the playoff and those who do well in the playoffs but do not win the cup).

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)

I say, just give the Kings the 4th pick and be done with it.

That way, we get either Drysdale or Stutzle.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post

That would be ideal, really can't go wrong with a top 4 pick (perhaps we'd even end up with Byfield)

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    555 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post

Not Koufax?