Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Default Oral History of the Frenzy

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/an-or...00000012127387

Kind of a fun read, but I wonder how much they cut. Obviously they aren't going to be able to reach everyone to comment, but it would have nice to hear a little more about their thoughts on the Stumpel goal. And I'm not sure how you talk about the game winner without even mentioning Deadmarsh creating the turnover. Good oral histories tend to be pretty long and comprehensive, and this one is, well, not. But hey, better than nothing.

I was in my third year of law school at the time, and that night I was at a bar in Urbana, Illinois. Wednesday night law school dart league. I was running to the phone booth to call my dad back in Temple City after every goal.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Will never forget that game/series. So great. Should have beaten Colorado in the next series too. That was a special team.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    509 Post(s)

IL: First goal you still felt like you had some hope. We were playing with house money, we had nothing to lose. Losing against Detroit was something everybody expected us to do, but just getting that goal, you get your momentum out of it. We had no pressure of winning or losing because people didn't expect us to do that. We knew we had a better team than people gave us credit for and that's something that the guys fed off of. We knew we were underdogs and we wanted to prove the world wrong.
    Doesn't this quote kinda seem representative of Lappy's approach to his whole career? He was one of my all time favorite players for exactly this reason. He wasn't afraid of ANYTHING.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

I was never able to go to any live games during the 2 Cup runs so for me this was the best Kings game I’ve ever experienced live, along with the actual series winning game. The energy in Staples for those games were incredible. I also remember that we beat them badly in game 5 in Detroit. I think they were too stunned by what happened in game 4.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    I was never able to go to any live games during the 2 Cup runs so for me this was the best Kings game I’ve ever experienced live, along with the actual series winning game. The energy in Staples for those games were incredible. I also remember that we beat them badly in game 5 in Detroit. I think they were too stunned by what happened in game 4.
    That's not the way I remember game 5, although the Kings never trailed. Ziggy scored about a minute into the game, and I remember the first period going pretty well. Lappy got one early in the second, but Detroit made it a one goal game less than a minute into the third, and I kind of remember the Kings hanging on for dear life toward the end. I looked up the box score. Wings outshot the Kings 15-4 in the third! Only two penalties in the entire game, too.
    http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030165.HTM

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    That's not the way I remember game 5, although the Kings never trailed. Ziggy scored about a minute into the game, and I remember the first period going pretty well. Lappy got one early in the second, but Detroit made it a one goal game less than a minute into the third, and I kind of remember the Kings hanging on for dear life toward the end. I looked up the box score. Wings outshot the Kings 15-4 in the third! Only two penalties in the entire game, too.
    Yep. Game 5 was 3-2, Kings, in Detroit. Hardly beating them badly.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    You’re right, it was only 3-2. Memory is a tricky thing.