Thread: Doughty Not Considered Elite Defenseman Anymore

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    472 Post(s)

Doughty hasn't been on an Elite team in at least a few years. Hmm.

Cause Mitchrock said so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    He's not having fun playing anymore. It became a job
    agree

Hobo with a slapshot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    He's not having fun playing anymore. It became a job
    Like a lot of the guys with big contracts wearing our team sweater, complacently skating on bad roster teams. Meh.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Somewhat human nature, early days, desire, drive, youth, determined to earn the big contract. Achieves the big, long term contract. Older and no longer playing to earn the big contract naturally translates into a decrease in determination. Some big contract players have the capacity to maintain the drive and energy, some don't, some excel in spurts. Donut has become a spurtee, choosing his moments. May account for the McDavid and Kane remarks, he plays them hard.

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1230 Post(s)

How long is someone expected to be elite? DD has busted his ass for this team and been a part of two SC’s. Played more minutes and most recently babysat new guys as they came up. Does he need to be elite at this point? Does he need to mature and be a solid influence and be a mentor.... yes. Would almost any team take him for the rest of his career yes. He’s in his 12th year, how many players have been considered elite for that long, so he merely has descended to great. I will be concerned when he becomes serviceable.

3rd Line Role Player
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenhole View Post
    Does he need to be elite at this point? Does he need to mature and be a solid influence and be a mentor.... yes. Would almost any team take him for the rest of his career yes. Hes in his 12th year, how many players have been considered elite for that long, so he merely has descended to great. I will be concerned when he becomes serviceable.
    Does he need to be elite at this point... Well getting paid $11M per, second highest paid D and 13th highest paid NHLer, he most certainly should be elite. I'm not even sure if Drew is still 'great' but at $11M per, is being 'great' enough?

Would almost any team take him for the rest of his career? I'd like to think the answer is no. He has 7 more years to go at $11M per so I highly, highly doubt any GM would even go near that.

IMHO Drew's is going to be one of the most untradeable contracts around. Worst than Shea Weber and Seabrook's toxic contracts, way worse.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)

Seems to me he's outright cost us a number of games the last few seasons and has lost that McEnroe-esque ability to use his temper to his advantage.
    Don't turn around, wo-ao!
    Der Kopitar's in town, wo-ao!

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1740 Post(s)

Honestly, and I think this is part of the reason why I wouldn't want him as captain... he seems like the sort of player to play up (or down) to the moment. From what i've seen of him the past two seasons, which is admittedly not nearly as much as seasons past, he's looked disinterested. He relies so much on his emotional connection to the game, that i'm not even surprised that he's been bad the past couple seasons. There's simply nothing to play for. On any given night he's looked either completely disinterested, or trying to do way too much.

In some respects, i agree that he isn't elite. But i suspect he'd look like a completely different person on a team that was competing.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

He is an elite whiner.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    Ugh, knew I shouldn't have looked at LGK today, I knew it. Yes he's elite. He is a defenseman who can turn around a game and take it over. But, he didn't carry these sub par teams to the cup so he's not elite, right guys? Elite player on a not-elite team, what do you expect? Every other team in the league would do anything to have Drew Doughty on their team. I have no problem with someone posting the link to read the opinion, but when all of you jump in with nearly unanimous "yeah he sucks now," it reminds me what LGK is all about. See you in six months guys, lol.
    There is a quite a difference between not being elite and sucking. Doughty isn't elite anymore but that doesn't mean he sucks either. He is still very good (at times) but I think he tries to do too much (because he doesn't have the supporting players around him) and it actually brings his game down. He cannot do it by himself and his game suffers because of that. He is very good but not elite anymore.