Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Default Doughty Not Considered Elite Defenseman Anymore

According to this here:
    https://jfresh.substack.com/p/drew-doughty-is-not-only-no-longer

Do any of you buying into any of this?

Sure, there has been times Doughty seems to be slipping, but it's normal.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)

I haven't read it yet,but I don't consider him elite either. Is anybody who has watched him the last two seasons surprised? He's not that good anymore.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)

Being great involves having the ability to step up and carry the team. DD is real good at his position but not great at it.

Hobo with a slapshot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Stopped reading when he started invoking "analytics". If it's not clear by now that analytics in hockey (at least those publically available) are a total joke then I don't know what it is. Analytics (I don't even like that term because analytics should/could be a number of things that aren't stats, but now we just call stats analytics) are a very limited tool in hockey that got into mainstream acceptance likely from various owners seeing success from statistics in their core business or a sport like baseball that particularly lends itself to statistical analysis, there was a wave of nerds who took advantage of this statistical worldwide tide in hockey too. Hot takes using analytics is another way to generate buzz, too, so it's even useful in journalism. Unfortunately, more often than not those who remain in the public sphere continue to be wrong most of the time, or when they are correct they either say something trivial or of limited use on its own. There's zero evidence that any team that heavily relies on statistics produced anything worthwhile either (not that it couldn't, when you have an NHL budget even a group of people from LGK could theoretically produce a Stanley Cup winner).
    Last edited by nki; May 24th, 2020 at 02:45 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    Being great involves having the ability to step up and carry the team. DD is real good at his position but not great at it.
    100% bang on that first part.

Just to add to that though, his last worthy d partner was Rob Scuderi. Including Muzzin, Doughty has been babysitting ever since.

Norstrom / Blake. You'd think the latter would remember that top pair guys need to play with top pair guys.

The day the Kings get another one to play with Doughty will be the day everyone sighs "Doughty's back"

God is good, all the time
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    100% bang on that first part.

Just to add to that though, his last worthy d partner was Rob Scuderi. Including Muzzin, Doughty has been babysitting ever since.

Norstrom / Blake. You'd think the latter would remember that top pair guys need to play with top pair guys.

The day the Kings get another one to play with Doughty will be the day everyone sighs "Doughty's back"
    I see it the same way. I’m hoping that next season Bjornfoot is ready to play with Doughty. (No rush, only when he is ready to be an appropriate pairing) Drysdale could be an option too. (Provided the Kings end up picking him, of which there is a good chance) In Drysdale’s case, I would not play him next season unless there is a wow factor, and even then, he would have to play with Doughty. (Whenever next season is)

Cause Mitchrock said so
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

Felt he has not been elite for the last couple seasons. He has had moments, like the Maple Leafs game this year, but he takes IMO a lot of games off.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannybuoy1 View Post
    Felt he has not been elite for the last couple seasons. He has had moments, like the Maple Leafs game this year, but he takes IMO a lot of games off.
    He's not having fun playing anymore. It became a job

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Ugh, knew I shouldn't have looked at LGK today, I knew it. Yes he's elite. He is a defenseman who can turn around a game and take it over. But, he didn't carry these sub par teams to the cup so he's not elite, right guys? Elite player on a not-elite team, what do you expect? Every other team in the league would do anything to have Drew Doughty on their team. I have no problem with someone posting the link to read the opinion, but when all of you jump in with nearly unanimous "yeah he sucks now," it reminds me what LGK is all about. See you in six months guys, lol.