Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    So who was at the 3:10 stick time at KHS this past Saturday? I know there were some LGKers there...HAD to be.
    I was at the Lakewood one this past Saturday. Does KHS have an online schedule of stick times?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2989 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    The switch, well I have always wanted to play goalie on ice. I was taking a break from beer league this season and my wife casually said, you should play goalie, there will be no shortage of ice time. What she meant by that was that I would complain to her about getting dicked over during our games regarding ice time. If we had a full roster (13-14 players) the wingers would get screwed over. Meaning, we always had 4 defensemen no matter what, we always had 2 centers no matter what. The wingers were left to rotate through themselves which led to getting to skate every third shift or so....which got old, QUICKLY!!! Many times we would rotate someone through the line in the first period, then they would go to the next line in the second period, then back for the third period. It got messy that way too, and if someone took a penalty, forget about it, it was bedlam. So in a nutshell, that is what prompted me to make the switch sooner than later, as I'm not getting any younger.
    Yet you don't make the move to D

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

I was at the Lakewood one this past Saturday. Does KHS have an online schedule of stick times?
    KHS usually has several stick times during the day, and some of them are actually outside of normal working hours. I don't really understand the weekday noon and 2:00 pm sticktimes, as who can make those?! But I guess the later hours are filled up with games and clinics.

Here's the link to the KHS schedule, and looking at it, I see a clinic titled "THE COMPLETE HOCKEY GOALTENDER" which is definitely something I've never seen there before. Could be right up your alley. Also, that clinic that I posted about in the other thread (adult hockey clinic), says goalies are free!

http://www.khsice.com/#!facility-schedule-/cle6

Appreciate your responses to my other questions. I think I've always had the "goalie mentality", played goalie in soccer as a kid, always wanted to play safety in football even though I never did. We had a floor hockey tourney in college that I played goalie in but wasn't particularly good (might have had something to do with having to use pillows as leg pads and the cutout from a case of beer as a blocker). But it's definitely something I think I'd like to pursue once I get a little better (and hopefully a lot more flexible). I've seen stories about guys in their 50's and 60's deciding to start playing goalie, granted those are probably rare cases, but I figure why not?!

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    As far as league teams, my hunch is that forwards are generally the better skaters and more skilled than defensemen (or defense-persons, since we're co-ed here!) Is this correct? In my learning of skating I'm getting better at going backwards but it's still a bit of a challenge as I have a hard time keeping momentum and seem to come to a stop after a few strides. I'm sure that's something I can improve on with a bit of work but I'm guessing that's a major emphasis when playing D.

Sound about right?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2989 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    As far as league teams, my hunch is that forwards are generally the better skaters and more skilled than defensemen (or defense-persons, since we're co-ed here!) Is this correct? In my learning of skating I'm getting better at going backwards but it's still a bit of a challenge as I have a hard time keeping momentum and seem to come to a stop after a few strides. I'm sure that's something I can improve on with a bit of work but I'm guessing that's a major emphasis when playing D.

Sound about right?
    At the lower levels the best players are most likely D-men and centers. If you're on a team that puts all their crappiest players in the back you're gonna have a bad time.

Usually if a guy is playing below his level he'll probably line up at D since it's no fun for anyone when a guy goes out and scores 5 goals by himself.

Wing is generally considered the easiest position and least liable position on a team. It's also great fun since it's about 80% offense at the bottom end.

Higher levels everyone plays their positions correctly and there's loads of fun for everyone because passes go everywhere and it's not a 1-2 man show.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

At the lower levels the best players are most likely D-men and centers. If you're on a team that puts all their crappiest players in the back you're gonna have a bad time.

Usually if a guy is playing below his level he'll probably line up at D since it's no fun for anyone when a guy goes out and scores 5 goals by himself.

Wing is generally considered the easiest position and least liable position on a team. It's also great fun since it's about 80% offense at the bottom end.

Higher levels everyone plays their positions correctly and there's loads of fun for everyone because passes go everywhere and it's not a 1-2 man show.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

I thought about it, but the D on that team have been there since before I joined the team.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Man, thanks for that KHS link! Its a bummer the COMPLETE GOALTENDER starts at 6:10pm, as I work until 6, in Irvine. It would be too hard to leave here at 5 to get over to Anaheim, geared up by 6:10. :(

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2989 Post(s)

I thought about it, but the D on that team have been there since before I joined the team.
    Its one of the few perks of playing D on a team. Nobody wants to volunteer, but we get all the ice.