21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Die Radio Die View Post
    Downside of his career? He's 30 years old. He played through a shoulder injury last season which is an absolute killer for home run hitters especially. The Juan Pierre signing last year was a joke and a HUGE overpayment. The Jones signing is a much more of a medium risk with high reward potential.
    Great points DRD.

The 2 year deal is huge. Sure Andruw is getting a ton of money but our commitment is only 2 seasons. It's not like he's going to be having the 5th highest average salary for 5-6 years or so.

Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingPurple View Post
    Spot On!
    plus Rowawd is seeking a five year contract, two years is much nicer. Much credit for Ned! Hoping to see an outfield of Kemp,Jones and Ethier.

Give Pierre to the Ranger for a bag of balls.

I get around

Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...now if only we can trade for Bedard & stay away from Rolen... I'll be pleased, very pleased.

Liked
    110 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

While I don't mind the signing I will be very upset if Kemp gets traded. He has too much talent. I just know it will come back to bite us in the ass.

Do anything it takes to trade Pierre. Just offer to eat some of his salary. ANYTHING. Just don't get rid of Kemp or Ethier.

All Star

Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Torii Hunter may not be in the prime of his career but he is leaps and bounds better than Jones. To pay that much money for a guy that started his decline in his 20's is laughable. Dude hit .222 last season people. Wake up!

Iron Duke

I like it!

Was listening to Colin Cowherd this morning (bleh), who thought this was a stupid signing of a "past his prime" player. Of course he rarely likes anything of this sort unless it's the Yanks or Red Sox doing it, so <shrug>.

Personally, I'd rather have a past-prime Jones over a healthy Juan Pierre any day of the week. As for his numbers last year, despite having Chipper, Francouer, etc..., it wasn't like he was real protected in that lineup until Texeira got there. Then again, I'm not sure he'll be all that protected in our lineup.

Oh yeah absolutely I mean UnderPressure's Avatar

Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck View Post
    Torii Hunter may not be in the prime of his career but he is leaps and bounds better than Jones. To pay that much money for a guy that started his decline in his 20's is laughable. Dude hit .222 last season people. Wake up!

God, why do you always have to compare the Angels' moves to the Dodgers' in every thread?

Iron Duke

Aside from 2000, Jones had arguably his two best seasons in '05 and '06, boasting an average .10-.15 lower than Hunter, but hitting more than twice as many home runs, and nearly 100 more RBI. The strikeout number are even comparable, aside from Hunter's very good 65 in '05. Hardly a guy on the significant decline.

I've always liked Hunter, but how you can argue he is "leaps and bounds" better than Jones is beyond me. Let's see how Hunter does off the artificial turf and outside the Homerdome. If Jones has a repeat of last season, I'll agree with you, but single seasons in baseball hardly indicate player trends.

All Star

Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    God, why do you always have to compare the Angels' moves to the Dodgers' in every thread?
    I was replying to an earlier post in which someone compared the Jones signing and saying it was better than the Angels plan of overpaying centerfielders on the decline. So, I wasn't the first. Also, for me to "always" compare Angels moves to Dodgers moves it would require the Dodgers to actually make some moves. In fact I think this may be the first Dodger move that I have commented on.

Oh yeah absolutely I mean UnderPressure's Avatar

Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I was replying to an earlier post in which someone compared the Jones signing and saying it was better than the Angels plan of overpaying centerfielders on the decline. So, I wasn't the first. Also, for me to "always" compare Angels moves to Dodgers moves it would require the Dodgers to actually make some moves. In fact I think this may be the first Dodger move that I have commented on.

They're both overpaid. But I'll take the shorter deal.

And uh...I don't like your fanhood.