Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
    I feel reassured.

It might also be helping that I'm watching Kershaw with 3 K's in 2 scoreless innings so far.
    Yea, there's definitely talent in the system. You're initial thoughts were correct though, make no mistake the system has been thinned out.

Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

From Keith Law

jennnifer chicago: compare the potential of kershaw, schrezer and lincecum and there stuff and numbers please

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:36 PM ET ) Changing your user name doesn't make me more likely to answer, jeff/jennnifer/whoever. Scherzer's slightly behind the other two, and I've said before I see him as a reliever. Kershaw could be as good as Lincecum is now, but from the L side, three-pitch power pitchers with + curveballs. Lincecum's control improved in his early 20s, and I expect Kershaw's to do the same.

Liked
    19656 times
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

Looks like someone has some gender/identity issues.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Liked
    537 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

So, the Dodgers did a little bit better this year and will picking 17th in next years draft.

Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarf View Post
    So, the Dodgers did a little bit better this year and will picking 17th in next years draft.
    Also unlike last year if we sign a big name free agent who has been offered arbitration, we'll lose our 1st rounder.

I get around

Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Liked
    605 times
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Ned don't plan ahead. Ain't his style.

Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Watt had a nice season. Don't much about Perez. Hope the "off the field element" was worth it....

Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since we have a few days till the next game, I thought I'd get caught up on some prospect stuff.

This is from a chat on the Cali League.

Q: tom from nc asks:
    hOw close was Austin Gallagher, and what is the scouting report on him? could he be LA's 3b of the future?
    A:

Will Lingo: He's the kind of guy a lot of people mentioned as a solid prospect but no one was super-excited about. A lot of people think he'll have to move off third.

Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is from the Southern League top 20, a league rich in talent.

1. Clayton Kershaw
    LHP
    Jacksonville (Dodgers)
    B-T: L-L Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 220 Age: 20
    Drafted: Dodgers '06 (1)

The No. 7 overall pick in the 2006 draft, Kershaw's combination of plus pitches and advanced feel for pitching propelled him to the big leagues as a 20-year-old. Even in the SL, he was the league's youngest starting pitcher.

Kershaw's fastball sits in the low to mid-90s and explodes out of his hand. He has a knockout mid-70s curveball, a nasty big-breaker with two-plane depth and late action that grades out as a second 70 pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale. His curve is so good that even when he didn't snap off a good one, hitters often would chase it out of the zone or find themselves unable to check their swings.

His mid-80s changeup is a solid pitch with plus potential. The Dodgers had Kershaw focus on developing his change and throwing his curveball for strikes more often in the minors. His fastball command still needs fine-tuning, but he projects to have plus command in the big leagues thanks to clean arm action and a mechanically solid delivery that he repeats. His high three-quarters arm slot gives his pitches a good angle down in the zone. He also generates rave reviews for his poise, maturity and work ethic.
    14. James McDonald
    RHP
    Jacksonville (Dodgers)
    B-T: L-R Ht.: 6-5 Wt.: 195 Age: 23
    Drafted: Dodgers '02 (11)

After leaving spring training with a bit of a dead arm and getting off to a slow start, McDonald emerged as one of the SL's best pitchers. Lanky and athletic, he won't blow anyone away with his 88-92 mph fastball, but he does rack up strikeouts with his curveball and changeup.

While his fastball lacks plus velocity, his 74-77 mph changeup provides enough separation from his heater to keep hitters off balance. He'll throw his changeup when behind in the count and maintains his arm speed on the pitch, at times making it a well above-average pitch with sink and fade. His curveball is an average-to-plus pitch, and he can add and subtract from it as needed.

McDonald has clean arm action and raises his front side to create deception with all of his pitches. While he doesn't get himself into trouble with walks, he needs to improve the command of all of his pitches, particularly his fastball. A flyball pitcher, he lacks life on his fastball and gets hammered when he leaves it up in the zone.
    15. Ivan DeJesus
    SS/2B
    Jacksonville (Dodgers)
    B-T: R-R Ht.: 5-11 Wt.: 182 Age: 21
    Signed: Dodgers '05 (2)

DeJesus finished the season on a 23-game hitting streak, which propelled him to the SL's on-base percentage title at .419. Considered a steady player entering the year, he impressed scouts and managers with his steady improvement. His instincts and feel for all aspects of the game—no doubt the product of being the son of a longtime big league shortstop—help his athleticism and tools play up.

DeJesus always had plus bat speed, but he worked to shorten his swing and showed the ability to make adjustments not only during the season but also within individual games. He has excellent strike-zone judgment and squares up balls well. His approach is more geared to hit the ball to right-center, though he can use the whole field. While he shows occasional pop to his pull side, he'll need to add strength to be able to handle big league pitching.

Defensively, DeJesus' hands and feet work well. Though he's only a fringe-average runner, his instincts give him solid range. He has solid arm strength, but 17 of his 26 errors this season came on throws and some observers though he looked more comfortable at second base.
    Q: Martin from Los Angeles asks:
    Thanks for the chat, Ben. Great list although I was a bit disappointed that Scott Elbert wasn't in the picture. Was Elbert left off the list because he did not have enough innings pitched or has he fallen off the BA radar? In your evaluation of the league, did coaches and scouts feel that Elbert can recover his former top prospect status or is he destined to become Greg Miller 2.0?
    A:

Ben Badler: I think Elbert's has a chance to be a good power arm out of the bullpen. Maybe he ends up returning to the starting rotation, but given his command issues and his health history, my bet would be bullpen arm. I don't think he's Greg Miller, but I don't think he'll be what a lot of us thought he'd be pre-surgery.
    Q: ScottAz from Phx, AZ asks:
    McDonald has looked pretty good out of the pen for the Dodgers since his callup and working in short stints has boosted his fastball to 94 range. Do you think this is his ultimate role, or would it be a waste of a guy with 3 ave-above pitches?
    A:

Ben Badler: It's interesting to me that he's up to 94 mph in relief, because he was mostly 88-91 or so as a starter. He's still more valuable as a starter, just needs to fine-tune his fastball command and keep the ball down in the zone because of his lack of fastball velo and life and his flyball tendencies. If he comes out of the bullpen in the playoffs though, he could be dangerous, especially against guys who haven't seen his changeup yet.
    Q: Candice from New York City asks:
    Hi Ben! Is Ivan De Jesus, Jr. major league ready? His bat really excelled this year and his glove has always been above average and the majority of his errors were of the throwing variety which I'm sure can be corrected. Thanks!
    A:

Ben Badler: I think he's close and will have a chance to start in the big leagues next year. But if he doesn't, no big deal. I still think he's going to need to add some strength and maybe move to second base, where his throwing errors could be quarantined, but he's not far off with his bat speed, feel for the strike zone and instincts in all aspects of the game.
    Q: Eric from San Jose asks:
    Kershaw vs. Price - pros/cons and who will be better in the end?
    A:

Ben Badler: 1 and 1-A, for me. Fastball, breaking ball and changeup all grade out around the same, both athletic, both have clean arm action, both have great deliveries that they repeat, both should have above-average command, both get good reviews for their makeup, both have good size and good track records, both lefthanded. So there's a lot of similarities there. The two slight separators for me are that Kershaw is already having success in the big leagues and at a younger age, whereas Price has not. And perhaps slightly more important is that Price did miss six weeks or so in the beginning of the season with an elbow problem. Now, he's back to throwing mid-90s fastballs, but any elbow or shoulder injury is always worth remembering—and Price does throw a slider—so that's what set Kershaw just a tick above Price.