490 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Barstow is cool and it has everything, but it's usually to early for lunch when we're passing there...
    Yeah, especially if you're leaving on a Friday, you want to try and leave before noon. I left at like 2 pm on a Friday once and it took me like 6 hours to get to Vegas. It blew. If I'm going up mid-week I don't usually leave till around 11 so it's 12:30-1 when I roll through Barstow. The later I leave, the more tempting it is to stop at The Hat in Rancho Cucamonga but I always feel weird stopping before I get over the Cajon.
    Last edited by Dana; September 20th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

KingsFanKat

Only been to the Mad Greek once, I liked it OK...should've tried it before my trip to Greece so I wouldn't compare it to the REAL thing! Didn't try the strawberry shake - but keep hearing about the damn things - supposed to be great (as someone here attested to). But I agree - can probably be hit or miss - I'd go back again, but it's not one of those "must" stops.

Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

[quote=Dana;1241968]
    Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Barstow is cool and it has everything, but it's usually to early for lunch when we're passing there...[/QUOTE

Yeah, especially if you're leaving on a Friday, you want to try and leave before noon. I left at like 2 pm on a Friday once and it took me like 6 hours to get to Vegas. It blew. If I'm going up mid-week I don't usually leave till around 11 so it's 12:30-1 when I roll through Barstow. The later I leave, the more tempting it is to stop at The Hat in Rancho Cucamonga but I always feel weird stopping before I get over the Cajon.
    We leave Orange at 9-9:30 ( by 10 at the latest) after we drop off our daughter at school so it's way to early for lunch once we pass bartsow... I found that leaving any later than 10 trouble starts, and the closer you get to noon or afternoon, forget about it....

1st Scoring Line BleedingPurple's Avatar

Liked
    8 times
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you're looking for an interesting cross-section of society, make sure to stop by the McDonald's in Primm.

Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wife and I stopped there, nothing special. I think we heard too much hype behind it, so everything was underwhelming. You can never go wrong at the Del Taco off of Lynwood. Far superior to any other Del Taco.

FlyinKIng

Quote Originally Posted by EddyTheEd View Post
    Wife and I stopped there, nothing special. I think we heard too much hype behind it, so everything was underwhelming. You can never go wrong at the Del Taco off of Lynwood. Far superior to any other Del Taco.
    Because thats the very first Del Taco ever!! They can get rude when its really busy though!

Liked
    0 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I went to Mad Greek it was nothing special. I just remember waiting forever for our food!

I'm looking forward to my stop at Del Taco in Barstow. =)

GreatSaveGerber

This is a wee bit off topic, since my favorite Greek spot is in downtown Long Beach, but George's Greek Cafe' (PINE_AVE_MAIN), close to the intersection of Pine and Broadway, is definitely a don't-miss.

Not only do Mr. GSG -- my husband of 20-plus years -- and I make the drive there from Placentia every couple of months just so we can gorge on their reasonably priced, totally-to-die-for gyro, saganaki, and dolmethes. (If we're smart and dine there on a Monday, we get to enjoy a bottle of wine for half price ... and much of their wine list consists of well-chosen, moderately priced Greeks.) My bad: I forgot to mention that the service is helpful and eager, the vibe is unfailingly festive (nearly every member of the wait staff and guest hollers "Opa!" every time some saganaki goes up in flames) , and you get your share of people watching for a month if you get outdoor patio seating.

Jan/GSG
    Last edited by GreatSaveGerber; September 18th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Liked
    273 times
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Been there once, I think it's a rite of passage if you do the LA-LV drive to try it at least once. I didn't think much of it. I usually stop to get gas and a bite in Barstow.

I did pick up a cool brass giraffe in Baker for my mom one trip. I don't know if that shop is still there.