Blake Lizotte re-signs for 2 years $1.675M

This thread needs a spin-off conversation. Who was the Kings best / most favorite grinder? Lappy? Lewie? Lizzo? different skill sets, but all niche player favorites.

This thread needs a spin-off conversation. Who was the Kings best / most favorite grinder? Lappy? Lewie? Lizzo? different skill sets, but all niche player favorites.

Fun, pretty sure the big red dog needs a mention.

I think Patty Conacher wasn't ever my favorite but he might be the last guy that I pulled for as much as Lizotte. He didn't get pushed around very much at all though, guy was like 5' and I think played like he was 200lbs. Just a rock.

Another beauty from that era though is the immortal Gary Shuchuk.

I think I have to go with Lappy, considering his propensity for dropping the mitts in addition to everything else, plus the French accent. He always reminded me of Denis Lemieux.

I don't think he lacks skill, just size. The guy is a pretty good skater and has some passing skills, like he showed off last night. He will get stronger and bigger as time passes. He has great puck awareness and tenacity, however you have to have skill at that size to make it into the NHL.

Depends on what you mean by "make it into the NHL".

Nathan Gerbe 5'4" 435 games, 63 goals, 88 assists for 151 points...played until he was 33.
Conor Sheary 5'9" 433 games 102 goals 102 assists for 204 points...still playing at 29. Won 2 cups. How much skill he had is debatable.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right that a player has to have a minimum of skill. But not EVERY short player has to be Debrincat or Marchand.

Depends on what you mean by "make it into the NHL".

Nathan Gerbe 5'4" 435 games, 63 goals, 88 assists for 151 points...played until he was 33.
Conor Sheary 5'9" 433 games 102 goals 102 assists for 204 points...still playing at 29. Won 2 cups. How much skill he had is debatable.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right that a player has to have a minimum of skill. But not EVERY short player has to be Debrincat or Marchand.

Is it weird that I hear "Tiny Bubbles" playing in my head?

I know we are mostly talking about bottom 6 guys but I was kind of partial to Craig Conroy. And, I googled it, he's 6'2. Such a team guy. All business. Scored 22 goals on a ****ty team in '05.

I think I have to go with Lappy, considering his propensity for dropping the mitts in addition to everything else, plus the French accent. He always reminded me of Denis Lemieux.

Lappy had to be the most selflessly fearless player I can recall, to a fault. The guy would fight anyone, and join any scrum. His face in some of those seasons was just gruesome.

Is it weird that I hear "Tiny Bubbles" playing in my head?

I know we are mostly talking about bottom 6 guys but I was kind of partial to Craig Conroy. And, I googled it, he's 6'2. Such a team guy. All business. Scored 22 goals on a ****ty team in '05.

Physically, he's 6'2" but he talks like he's 4'11". I don't think I've heard a person say so many syllables in such a short amount of time.

Lappy had to be the most selflessly fearless player I can recall, to a fault. The guy would fight anyone, and join any scrum. His face in some of those seasons was just gruesome.
And that's not including the slapper he took off the mug.

Physically, he's 6'2" but he talks like he's 4'11". I don't think I've heard a person say so many syllables in such a short amount of time.

Heh. That's great but Conroy and Klatt have become an amalgam of one person in my memory of those teams. Can't hear the voice, both seem like they were 4'11 on the ice but Lizzo-esque heart for sure.

Going to side with Claws on the French accent being 98% of Lappy's charm (my dork friend used to describe him as either really having trouble translating his thoughts into english or possibly being special needs -all with love) the rest was that smile. Did he get a legends night? Can he get another one?

I’m going with Lappy. I loved Lewis & love Lizotte. But year in & year out Lappy gave everything he had. Also Lewis got to play on championship teams & who knows if Lizotte will get that chance. But Lappy had to endure some bad seasons with the Kings & still gave 100%.

Lappy for sure, Lizotte sure takes a lot of abuse out there from opposing players but just keeps going and sticks to his role/game. Awesome team player and seems like a really positive guy.

Lappy hands down, Clifford with a solid second place.

The kid got heart. Never gives up on a play and never takes a shift off. We are very blessed to have him. Overjoyed for him. You deserve it brother. Anyone else thinks he looks like Hawk from cobra Kai?

Back
Top Bottom