Brock Faber returning to college, not signing with the Kings

I know we have a lot of depth at RD but I'd really liked to have locked this guy down.
https://www.startribune.com/gophers-defenseman-brock-faber-announces-hes-coming-back/600164132/

Blake better push extremely hard to get him signed next spring. We don't want to lose him.

Agreed, it would have been nice to see him start developing on the Reign next year and begin making a push to the NHL. Despite our strength at RD, it seems like the Reign could really use him. On a side not, the Golden Gophers seem to do a really good job of keeping their player through to graduation.

My hunch is, a year from now the right side will look less crowded.

I'm surprised. I don't know that he has much to prove in college, but it's his life. Good luck to him.

I know we have a lot of depth at RD but I'd really liked to have locked this guy down.
https://www.startribune.com/gophers-defenseman-brock-faber-announces-hes-coming-back/600164132/

Blake better push extremely hard to get him signed next spring. We don't want to lose him.

100% chance that depth is exactly why he's staying in school. High end NCAA prospects in particular hate not having at the very least a greased runway to a regular NHL roster spot. Probably hard to remember now but it was an open secret that Jack Johnson was ready to return to Michigan if the Kings didn't gift wrap a spot on the NHL roster for him and let him burn a year off his ELC by signing him at the end of the 2006-7 season.

From all accounts Faber is probably going to benefit as much from staying with the Gophers in a leadership position and managing expectations there than if he was to sign and get in line in the A. I agree that it's always nervous time when these NCAA kids get closer to UFA by staying but the gophers run a good program and he's so self motivated that the skill side is going to take care of itself regardless of where he was playing.

Him staying is not a concern THIS year. Now, if he makes the same decision one year from now, then it's time to worry (and have serious discussions about where he'd like to end up in the NHL, and consider dealing him).

Would have been nice to have him play with the Reign but understand his decision. Given the glut of RD, any chance the Kings trade his rights as part of trade to get LD or Offense during offseason IF they have any concern he won't sign with them after his next college season?

I am ok with him finishing out school. I think he wants to do that for him, not trying to bolt from the Kings.

We'll, save his seat here when he's ready. ;)

I am ok with him finishing out school. I think he wants to do that for him, not trying to bolt from the Kings.

Agree. As I understand the rules, he could have decided to turn pro and we would have had only 30 days to sign him before losing his rights. His staying in school is not an indication that he doesn't want to be part of the organization. If that was the case, he'd just hire an agent, his college career would end and after 30 days he wouldn't be our property anymore.

I think it's good that he stayed in college. He just better not pull a "Fox" on us and sign with the rags (or any other team.)

Agree. As I understand the rules, he could have decided to turn pro and we would have had only 30 days to sign him before losing his rights. His staying in school is not an indication that he doesn't want to be part of the organization. If that was the case, he'd just hire an agent, his college career would end and after 30 days he wouldn't be our property anymore.

Not sure where you read that but it's not correct. The 30 day rule is for players in (or have completed) their 4th year of college. This is exactly what Blake Wheeler did to get out of playing for Phoenix, the team that drafted him #5 overall.

Faber was drafted at 18 and became a college student prior to June 1 following the 2020 Entry Draft. He is Kings property until the June of 2024 regardless of his NCAA status.

From the CBA:

Code:
8.6 Reserve List-Exclusive Rights
(c) College Players.

(ii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does
not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his
college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the
negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following
his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central
Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college
student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student
on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his
fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA
eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to 
graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to
retain such rights.

(iv) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in
accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college
student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry
Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the
graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive
rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth
June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days
after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a
bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona
fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the
Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth
year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is
scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in
the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the
exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and
including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a
bona fide college student.

Faber? College?

4fd0781bcdde04af300c6344eba59e6f.gif

Matthew Knies, another second rounder (TOR), just announced he's also returning to the Gophers.

Back
Top Bottom