It's now 12PM. That's it?????

Time is on our side; I believe there is a song by that title.

A cover released 58 years ago (sigh) by the Rolling Stones . . . .

(There was an earlier version by the Stones that was released in late '64.)

There's absolutely no point in making a big trade at this point in the season. This team isn't a Cup contender but they are a playoff squad. Let the kids get a taste of the Playoffs and get them hungry to take the next step and add another piece this Summer.

my biggest concern at this point, is that by doing nothing, they may end up missing the playoffs due to an abundance of injuries. Im not advocating for high priced rentals, but there were a few defensemen dealt to today fro 3rd and 4th rounders that may have been worth pulling the trigger on. I dont have much info about Flecher, but that deal looked like the type of deal you make juuuust in case you don't land the guy you were after.

Im reserving judgment until the end of the season, but if this team misses the playoffs by a few points, i think you have to look back and wonder if a mid tier rental might have been worth it.

I believe they do miss the playoffs. Maybe Blake knows some of these players won't be back and they have no chance without them. I do believe this team knows what it takes to make the playoffs as they have shown during the last three months. Injuries happen, however not your entire defense. Let's see what happens with these young players. These last 20 or so games are great for these young players, as they are the playoffs. Win you're in!

Listening to the Satellite NHL channel this afternoon and the conversations they were having about which contenders did what for their chances at the deadline was a pretty harsh reminder for how NOT in that conversation we are.

It's been fun speculating about making the playoffs, and sure anything can happen in the postseason, but even before all the injuries making the playoffs was still going to be a training exercise.

my biggest concern at this point, is that by doing nothing, they may end up missing the playoffs due to an abundance of injuries. Im not advocating for high priced rentals, but there were a few defensemen dealt to today fro 3rd and 4th rounders that may have been worth pulling the trigger on. I dont have much info about Flecher, but that deal looked like the type of deal you make juuuust in case you don't land the guy you were after.

Im reserving judgment until the end of the season, but if this team misses the playoffs by a few points, i think you have to look back and wonder if a mid tier rental might have been worth it.

It will be heartbreaking if this team misses the playoffs but their remaining schedule is favorable and I think you just roll the dice on that. 8 games against SEA, CHI, and ANH and they all just got even worse after deadline.

Moreover though, every asset counts, including 3rd and 4th round picks. Serious offseason trades are inevitable and you never know how valuable an extra pick can be in a deal, or how much more it matters internally if the 1st and/or 2nd are traded already.

And if they miss, as important as making the playoffs is the moves to be made this summer are more important yet.

It will be heartbreaking if this team misses the playoffs but their remaining schedule is favorable and I think you just roll the dice on that. 8 games against SEA, CHI, and ANH and they all just got even worse after deadline.

Moreover though, every asset counts, including 3rd and 4th round picks. Serious offseason trades are inevitable and you never know how valuable an extra pick can be in a deal, or how much more it matters internally if the 1st and/or 2nd are traded already.

And if they miss, as important as making the playoffs is the moves to be made this summer are more important yet.

i agree with pretty much all of that, but again... if they miss by a few points, I think you have to really wonder if it might have been worth it to trade a 3rd/4th. Yes the schedule is favorable, but you've also just lost your top pairing D. Obviously it's a gamble., but to me, i'd pay that extra price to make the playoffs. I think they can still make it in, but i also think they've earned some help given the situation.

But maybe it doesnt matter. Maybe they gamble and win. Maybe Stecher turns out to be more valuable than a 7th rnd pick. Maybe they get what they want, pay virtually nothing, and it's a win/win. Im willing to wait and see how it all shakes out. *fingerscrossed*

Well....

4xa54s.png

Listening to the Satellite NHL channel this afternoon and the conversations they were having about which contenders did what for their chances at the deadline was a pretty harsh reminder for how NOT in that conversation we are.

It's been fun speculating about making the playoffs, and sure anything can happen in the postseason, but even before all the injuries making the playoffs was still going to be a training exercise.

LISA DILLMAN from THE ATHLETIC sums it up pretty well: "Los Angeles Kings: The Kings added one small piece Sunday — defenseman Troy Stecher, giving up only a seventh-round pick — to bolster their depth to the right side, where there’s concern over how long Drew Doughty’s wrist injury may keep him out. The reality: They were never going to be major players at this deadline, knowing that while their team is improving, they were not in the same position as any of the genuine Stanley Cup contenders, beefing up for a championship run. By preserving cap space, they can take another big swing in free agency this summer, depending on who (Filip Forsberg, maybe?) gets to market"

I believe they do miss the playoffs. Maybe Blake knows some of these players won't be back and they have no chance without them. I do believe this team knows what it takes to make the playoffs as they have shown during the last three months. Injuries happen, however not your entire defense. Let's see what happens with these young players. These last 20 or so games are great for these young players, as they are the playoffs. Win you're in!

They have 2 games vs Edm, 2 vs Calgary, 1 vs Minn, 1 vs Colorado, 1 vs Nashville...games they will be very challenged to win given the current lineup issues. IF they won the remaining games (they won't), they would get another 24 points which would get them to 100 points and very likely a playoff game. The thought has been that they need around 94pts for a playoff spot so not a lot of wiggle room...that's basically 3 additional losses assuming they don't squeek out any wins against Calgary, EDM, Minn, Colo & Nash.

At the end of the day, even if they fail to make the playoffs, we should all consider this season to be a significant sucess and big step towards the future. Had the injuries not piled up at one time, we may not be worrying as much about making the playoffs.

Happy Birthday!! Now **** off.

On Top Chef they call it the birthday curse, whomever has a birthday...they get eliminated on the next challenge. Pretty sure(lie) Bravo has a version of "Happy Birthday!! Now **** off" apron, knife-set, t-shirt and wine online.

I'm fine with no blockbuster trade acquisitions made by the Kings. The prices were way too high. The window is not open. Summer is a better time with UFAs signings. I know there's a chance that they don't make the playoffs, but better to be patient then be...Vegas (now that's a cluster****!) If Kings did their job in drafting and developing, then their window will open. You add key pieces (ala Carts, Richards, Williams) and maybe a goaltender (because I'm not too confident about the Kings' pipeline) and you're a Stanley Cup contender!

LISA DILLMAN from THE ATHLETIC sums it up pretty well: "Los Angeles Kings: The Kings added one small piece Sunday ? defenseman Troy Stecher, giving up only a seventh-round pick ? to bolster their depth to the right side, where there?s concern over how long Drew Doughty?s wrist injury may keep him out. The reality: They were never going to be major players at this deadline, knowing that while their team is improving, they were not in the same position as any of the genuine Stanley Cup contenders, beefing up for a championship run. By preserving cap space, they can take another big swing in free agency this summer, depending on who (Filip Forsberg, maybe?) gets to market"

I really like the 'new' Lisa. Last year, when the team was far worse, she was talking about making moves to get Ekholm from Nashville even though we were far from 1 top-4 D from being a contender. Being patient has worked well for Blake. Even if it pains me to type it. It also sucks being patient in 2020-21, but we're reaping the benefits now.

This wasn't the year to make big trades. Kings still aren't poised to make a cup run, and until they are, hold onto the assets. But that window may open this summer and I actually expect Blake to make a big deal with the Kings giving up some good prospects (Grans, Turcotte?) for a scorer

i agree with pretty much all of that, but again... if they miss by a few points, I think you have to really wonder if it might have been worth it to trade a 3rd/4th. Yes the schedule is favorable, but you've also just lost your top pairing D. Obviously it's a gamble., but to me, i'd pay that extra price to make the playoffs. I think they can still make it in, but i also think they've earned some help given the situation.

But maybe it doesnt matter. Maybe they gamble and win. Maybe Stecher turns out to be more valuable than a 7th rnd pick. Maybe they get what they want, pay virtually nothing, and it's a win/win. Im willing to wait and see how it all shakes out. *fingerscrossed*

I get you - you very clear about reserving judgment until after the regular season anyway. I think the trade to reward players is compelling for sure, but I also wonder what a stick tap to them it is to say we’re banged up on a generational level but we trust you enough to get through this.

Last edited:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom