NHL caves....hockey is not for everyone...no more specialty jerseys during warmups

NHL were 98% of the players had no problems with wearing pride jerseys.

NHL responds with standing with the 2% who did.

NHL pro Russia
NHL pro gambling
NHL pride jerseys are where we draw the line!!!

This move by the league will end up on the ash heap of sport’s history.
Those stats are my issue, very KHL vibes*. And, as a lifelong hockey fan, a deal breaker. It reminds me of a quote from NOT Bob McKenzie (Julian actually) about the problem with present day hockey: “The sport is way too niche, has too many gatekeepers, promotes a sh*tty culture, isn't diverse enough, and hasn't changed its reputation among casual fans and outsiders.” Well said sir. It’s getting easier and easier to walk away from this sport and maybe that’s a good thing.

*the whole Russian situation –holy effing shiz. I was a lurker on reddit for way too long last weekend. Don’t know the rules of the 2.0 site and true to form, just keep things light, so, my comments will end here.

giphy.gif

The Irony in this article is everywhere. "Wonderful" timing on this as well.

NHL, players unveil inclusion coalition, hopeful to make hockey more diverse​

The NHL Player Inclusion Coalition is the latest step in a process started in the summer of 2020 when the police killing of George Floyd led to a worldwide reckoning on matters of race. It also comes on the heels of Pride night incidents around the league, when a handful of players refused to wear rainbow-coloured jerseys for warmups, prompting the league to drop all plans for teams to wear any themed uniforms.

"It's no secret that this is a sport that struggles with diversity and inclusion sometimes,'' retired U.S. star Meghan Duggan said at an event in Nashville, Tennessee. "That's why this group is here: to continue to push, to continue to make recommendations, to continue to have players step up and be public allies.''

Commissioner Gary Bettman said the goal of the coalition was to "provide the NHL with insights regarding equality and inclusivity that only the players can give us.'' NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh expects the coalition to "continue to do some amazing things for young people'' all across North America.

"Hockey players deserve a world without a doubt to know that hockey's for them,'' Carter said.

The announcement came a day after league MVP Connor McDavid said he was disappointed by the NHL's decision to drop Pride jerseys, Duggan shared that sentiment and said she and the group would try to work forward rather than just be mad about the move.

"We're not going to roll over and not celebrate Pride nights and not welcome that community into hockey,'' she said. "We're just going to do an even bigger event.''
Gary said the NHL needs insight regarding equality and inclusivity that only the players can give!?!?!? This guy just said that?!?!?
Gary, 98% of your players were/are on board with wearing a pride jersey....they made that VERY clear........but the NHL needs more insight.......ok.

I was glad to see some players stand up and say something about this change of policy. Regardless of whatever topic these jerseys stand for i.e. cancer, favorite non-hockey team night, heritage, etc. the view of few should not drown out the views of many. Like people here pointed out, these jerseys are auctioned off and raise money for various organizations. Are they losing out on the money? I would also like to know if ALL special theme warmup jerseys are also canceled?

Don't worry, hockey is still for everyone. Just because the NHL is walking back on this tape usage doesn't mean that youth and beer league hockey across the world aren't still thriving with just as much diversity and inclusivity as it was before this announcement.

Don't worry, hockey is still for everyone. Just because the NHL is walking back on this tape usage doesn't mean that youth and beer league hockey across the world aren't still thriving with just as much diversity and inclusivity as it was before this announcement.
Makes sense.

The top tier league in the world...that one everybody strives for to watch or play takes the stance of hockey is NOT for everybody.
The top tier league just can't imagine it's players and fans having to deal with LGBTQ pride in a public stance.
The top tier league that is in charge of growing the sport, just can't have their fans and players subjected to rainbow colored tape or rainbow jerseys.

Meanwhile your inhouse youth hockey and beer league fellas are cool with LGBTQ peeps.
These peeps understand completely why the NHL is not cool with LGBTQ peeps.
They understand why the NHL won't take a stand for them.

Everything is all good. There is no problem here.

I'm sure LGBTQ peeps are perfectly fine with the NHL banning pride tape and jerseys, because you know.....they understand.
Right?

Here's the real troubling thing: Bettman (NHL) / Owner(s) did the math on this.

Just how "bad" is the NHL's research on its fans and the league's concerns over TV ratings and in-game attendance........if they did the math and ultimately decided this was the better financial outcome for the league and its owners?

The NHL sure likes to operate like its 1973.

Based on the reaction to the announcement of no more warm-up jerseys for specific causes, you would have thought the NHL had banned gays from the sport. In fact, there is no reason why anyone with same-sex attraction cannot play hockey at any level, including the NHL. As a fan, I don't care who they're attracted to, but rather how well they play the sport, period. I'm certainly fine with keeping the military and Hockey fights cancer nights, as these are causes that 99.999999% of everyone supports. That is not at all the case with the homosexual lifestyle (separate and distinct from merely having same-sex attraction), which "Pride" nights seem to celebrate. That is something that many, myself included, do not support. The recent backlash against Target, Bud Light, and the Dodgers is evidence of this.
Uhhh, so not trying to flame, but I think the "lifestyle" vs orientation comments you've made here demonstrate the point of why these kinds of events are needed. I don't want to get into a debate or try to explain here, but someone's got to point out the irony...

It's not "Hockey is for those who are good at it so I can ignore everything else about them I object to"... That's not inclusive; it's blind.

"Hockey is for everyone" is about just that, everyone, regardless of your bias towards their race, gender, orientation, or dare I say "lifestyle" that everyone is welcome.

I also think you underestimate the number of people who are not very comfortable with the nationalism needlessly injected into sports. ;)

Seeing as this is not Facebook, that's where my comments on the subject will end. Have a nice day!

The good news about this is that some players don’t agree with this. Connor McDavid says he wants it reversed. And Scott Laughton said he’ll use the Pride tape anyway. And it’s reported that at least 1 team has bought a case of Pride tape. So if players & even teams defy the league & have Pride tape for warmups that would be a great thing.

We have resistance.

Gee, who could have seen this coming?!?!!?

A league soooooo out of step with its players.

It took only one player.....just one. Thank you Travis McDermott. Class act!

NHL is run by gutless chumps.
They have proven they don't care either way. They just want to appease the ones who scream the most.
The NHL is in constant appeasement mode with ZERO moral compass. The NHL cares nothing about social issues.

The NHL cares only about $$$. They are spineless hacks.

They couldn't leave it alone. All they had to do was stick up for the "little guy, the minority, the outcast".
But nope, they had to ban pride jerseys and rainbow colored tape, because somebody clutched their pearls.

Hockey is for Everyone is a lie, brought to you by the NHL.
It's a catchphrase for them. They have shown they don't believe it and don't really care.

Get over it, dude. Your temper tantrums are always epic; maybe you’re just not cut out to be a hockey fan. Perhaps the WNBA is more your thing.

Get over it, dude. Your temper tantrums are always epic; maybe you’re just not cut out to be a hockey fan. Perhaps the WNBA is more your thing.
Not cut out to be a hockey fan you say?

So to be a hockey fan, you got to be ok with banning pride tape, and hockey not being really for everyone.
That is a hockey fan. Am I right?

To be a hockey fan, you have to be ok with the head of the league having zero moral compass.
You have to be fine with a league that is morally vapid.

True hockey fans don't ask for the league to do better and lead by example.

Hockey fans do not stand up for everyone, just certain groups and people.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Tell me, what do you know of WNBA fans?
What makes them different from hockey fans?

Do tell!

Gee, who could have seen this coming?!?!!?

A league soooooo out of step with its players.

It took only one player.....just one. Thank you Travis McDermott. Class act!

NHL is run by gutless chumps.
They have proven they don't care either way. They just want to appease the ones who scream the most.
The NHL is in constant appeasement mode with ZERO moral compass. The NHL cares nothing about social issues.

The NHL cares only about $$$. They are spineless hacks.

They couldn't leave it alone. All they had to do was stick up for the "little guy, the minority, the outcast".
But nope, they had to ban pride jerseys and rainbow colored tape, because somebody clutched their pearls.

Hockey is for Everyone is a lie, brought to you by the NHL.
It's a catchphrase for them. They have shown they don't believe it and don't really care.

So to be a hockey fan, you got to be ok with banning pride tape, and hockey not being really for everyone.

To be a hockey fan, you have to be ok with the head of the league having zero moral compass.

Do tell

Do tell!

Do tell!
I'm simply saying that in light of your abject disagreement with the league on issues of such critical importance to you, perhaps a league that prioritizes social issues over quality of the sport is for you. I went with WNBA as opposed to NBA because you seem to need the sensitive touch only a woman can provide.

As far as the NHL is concerned, the league (which operates a business in a free-market economy) disagrees with you. Maybe, just maybe, they see that sports can be a refuge from the inundation of social "justice" causes you and your loudmouth ilk love to complain about.

Honestly, I don't give a sh*t about pride night/tape whatsoever.

I just don't like you and your incessant bitching about EVERYTHING. Maybe you just don't realize that LGK is not your fugging therapist.

Here's another nugget: when you bitch about everything, nobody hears anything. I'm out. Carry on, dark cloud; just do it elsewhere.

Dumba rips NHL over Pride tape debacle: 'They follow and try to save face'

Arizona Coyotes defenseman Matt Dumba ripped into the NHL after the league rescinded its decision to prohibit Pride tape, questioning why the ban was in place to begin with.

"Why is that even a thing?" he told The Athletic's Eric Stephens. "Why did they have to do that in the first place? You'll never get the answers from them. You'll never get the answers for that. That's just something I've come to understand. They don't have answers for a lot of things that they do. They follow and try to save face."

This seems like the best scenario for everyone.

If one wants to participate they can and if they don't want to, they don't have to

Back
Top Bottom