Some Reality Checks

Very interesting, the Kings had 26 outside shots in game 4. This guy claims on average 30 outside shots on goal are needed to score a single goal. So, lots of shot, but not much on scoring chances.

BTW, I was listing / watching the Edmonton Sports Radio Show on YT after game 4. They kept mentioning that someone had the slot shots at 8-7 Edmonton and they could not understand the big edge in "high danger" for the Kings. Looks like whomever they were referring to must have access to this site, which generates different stats from the other more public sites.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 14-44-55 (2) mike kelly nhl - Search _ X.png

In my opinion the 1-3-1 is effective if the team utilizing it has two things: 1) high level of discipline 2) are able to out-skate, or at least match, their opponents. Makes sense for the Kings to utilize the 1-3-1 considering Blake has focused heavily on making the team a fast skating / speed team. Problem, however, is that Edmonton has some skaters who are able to blow through it and once you are trailing a team on the scoreboard the 1-3-1 becomes very hard to stick with.

To your point, it does not restrict talent but does restrict creativity in the favor of discipline. Additionally the Kings have a bit of a mixed bag when it comes down to maintaining discipline. With the right team, though, the 1-3-1 is incredibly effective.
i dont discount the critique of their discipline. In fact i think that's been an issue for a couple seasons now, and it certainly was to various degrees this season. Discipline and consistency have been an issue for this team, although im not sold that necessarily becomes less of an issue using a different system.

i dont discount the critique of their discipline. In fact i think that's been an issue for a couple seasons now, and it certainly was to various degrees this season. Discipline and consistency have been an issue for this team, although im not sold that necessarily becomes less of an issue using a different system.
I think this is correct.
Systems are whatever. I am not ignoring them.

My main observation with the team this past season was consistency. Too many nights they showed up without acting like it mattered enough.
When the Kings cared they played well, almost all the time. They just took too many nights off.

I accept that there will be nights when the players just don’t have it. Maybe the schedule is unfriendly, maybe a illness making the rounds, the dreaded part of the schedule when motivation is hard to manufacture…
Regardless, this team had many games where they just didn’t compete.

Of all their shortcomings that was the one that stood out.

Does anyone else think one of the Kings biggest problems is their lack of adaptability, especially on the fly? And is it because of coaching or the players? Edmonton found a way around our 1-3-1, and also found a way to neutralize our special teams. But we had no answer for the changes they made & instead tried to do the same things over & over & expected different results.

Does anyone else think one of the Kings biggest problems is their lack of adaptability, especially on the fly? And is it because of coaching or the players? Edmonton found a way around our 1-3-1, and also found a way to neutralize our special teams. But we had no answer for the changes they made & instead tried to do the same things over & over & expected different results.
I think it is both. The Kings are supposed to live in the "system". I do not think that they practiced anything other than that until Hiller took over. We saw it with Todd the last two playoff rounds. He did not change up a single thing. No change up of the lines, nothing. Just keep pounding the same square peg into the round hole. One of these days it will go in.

In another post brought that the consistency issue could have been due to some players getting frustrated playing the 1-3-1. Today on "Locked-on-Kings" Jim Fox brings up this same possibility.

Last edited:
I wonder if Blake's considering moving away from the 1-3-1 has anything to do with Clarke being on the roster next year. The way the Kings have the 1-3-1 setup the RHD goes back to retrieve dump ins. That makes the RHD a target as he turns to get the puck up the ice. The puck then is normally moved over to the LHD and they (non puck movers) try to get the puck out of the zone with a long pass.

In another postI brought that the consistency issue could have been due to some players getting frustrated playing the 1-3-1. Today on "Locked-on-Kings" Jim Fox brings up this same possibility.

that would be both interesting and kind of concerning. Shows a lack of buy in, which is a problem.

The Kings will bring in a coach from outside the organization. Team needs a total reboot. The 1-3-1 will follow Hiller out the door.

The Kings will bring in a coach from outside the organization. Team needs a total reboot. The 1-3-1 will follow Hiller out the door.

This really needs to happen. I like Hiller, but we need a big change.

Back
Top Bottom