PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hatter
July 10th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I read multiple books at the same time so here is what I am reading this week:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393050939.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An oddly compelling, often hilarious forensic exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem.
LINK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393050939/qid=1089484090/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-4557160-6545403)

And also

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1582342474.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dedicated as ever to exploring life's dark and deviant sides, Stahl shows his heart in this sad, wild, uproarious faux memoir of silent film star Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle

Any Lovers of Stahl's Perv: A Love Story or Plainclothes Naked Will be thrilled at the idea of a new Stahl novel!

Ack I almost forgot:

Kingdom of Fear : Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century
by Hunter S. Thompson

Liceroni
July 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I just finished

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/0446605239.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Read the book, don't watch the movie!!

Now I'm reading

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0385511612.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

TBrown33
July 10th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Just finished Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code...if you haven't read it yet, do so. Amazing novel.

Liceroni
July 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Just finished Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code...if you haven't read it yet, do so. Amazing novel.

I've had that book for a while now and read about 20 pages. I just can't seem to motivate myself to continue reading....I'll get through it sometime....

High Priestess
July 10th, 2004, 12:28 PM
I've had that book for a while now and read about 20 pages. I just can't seem to motivate myself to continue reading....I'll get through it sometime....

I am going through the same thing as you. I have the book and started it, but it hasn't grabbed my attention enough for me to be unable to put it down.

Logman
July 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Angels & Demons.

DougW8
July 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Just started Angels & Demons today.

Winsomemore
July 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Einstein The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark

http://www.absolutefigures.com/alberteinstein/img/038001159x.gif

Link O Rama (http://www.absolutefigures.com/alberteinstein/books/clarkeinsteinlifeandtimes.htm)

Amie, this book rocks!!! Thanks again!!!!

Fisch
July 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
http://www.terrygoodkind.com/covers/NEcover.jpeg
Sword of Truth Series: book 8 by Terry Goodkind
http://www.ericvanlustbaderbooks.com/images/books/cover_tears.jpg
The Pearl Series: Book 2 by Eric Van Lustbader
and
Bruce Sterlings, Heavy Weather

TBrown33
July 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Trust me, you're really going to want to keep reading it. It's brilliant.

hkysbck
July 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I couldn't put the book down when I started it. It really got me thinking about how much I didn't know about Jesus and how much of it was really true. However, many people who read it(including me) were disappointed with the ending.

I'm currently reading My Life. I find it is going slowly but I'll stick it out and finish it eventually.

Kings Nut
July 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1880418592.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

next will be:

http://www.space-frontier.org/Media/HighFrontiercov.1.292h.gif

pug
July 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I am partway through all of these....

The Harry Potter books (3rd right now)
Middlesex...Jeffrey Eugenides
Delusion of Satan...Frances Hill
Under the Black Flag (the Romance and Reality of Life Among Pirates)...David Cordingly
Just a Couple of Days...Tony Vigorito
Lamb...Christopher Moore
Angels and Demons

I have a really hard time reading one book at a time.

Rob2716
July 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I'm on the library waiting list for Angels and Demons, but do stick with the DaVinci Code. I had a hard time putting the book down and found it quite fascinating.

I took Selmar's suggestion from one of the Harry Potter threads and began reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman today. I also just finished reading Hidden Prey by John Sandford.

BillZBubb
July 10th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I am almost half way through the first book of TLOTR. It seems as if everyone but me read this in their teen years. I guess I read the Dune series instead.

Rob2716
July 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I am almost half way through the first book of TLOTR. It seems as if everyone but me read this in their teen years. I guess I read the Dune series instead.

You're not alone. I haven't read any of the LOTR books. Not only that, I haven't seen the movies either.

Panic
July 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM
You're not alone. I haven't read any of the LOTR books. Not only that, I haven't seen the movies either.

:eek:

Truth is I wasn't a huge fan of the books. Only got through 1&2 and stopped halfway through 3 before the 1st movie came out. Saw the Fellowship in the theaters and then finally finished the third. The books were all a tad on the tedious side to me but amazing characters and basic plot. The movies are personal favorites of mine.

I'm actually reading an old book right now that I bought a year or so ago and lost in the shuffle of too many other books to read. False Memory by Koontz. Impressive so far. Creepy, realistic and moving along nicely.

pnzrgren
July 10th, 2004, 09:43 PM
The poet in exile, Red storm rising, and Fighting techniques of a panzergrenadier.

Puckfan33
July 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I'm reading Love's Blood by Clark Howard. I don't know if we have any true crime fans here but this is one of the best true crime books I've ever read & I've read quite a few.

MOOSE42
July 10th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Autobiography:
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence

Biography mixed with Historical Fiction:
Black Ajax by George MacDonald Fraser

Science Fiction/Fantasy:
Various collections of short stories by Roger Zelazny

Non-"Literature" reading:
The Weak Interaction in Nuclear, Particle and Astrophysics by K. Grotz and H.V. Klapdor

King of NY
July 11th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Tortilla Flat (Big Steinbeck fan but not even close to his best work)
Outline of the Law of Contracts by Conway (Bland and tasteless as stale crackers)

possum
July 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Was referred to Mary Karr's memoir "The Liars' Club." (Wow!) Just finished today and am starting on her second, "Cherry."

Before these, I just reread Louise Erdrich's "The Bingo Palace." She is so unbelievably amazing. Last week finished her "Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse." "Love Medicine" is my favorite.

girl4kings
July 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM
just finished the story of Herman Being. It was a required reading for my music class, but the story within the book was very good and kept me wanting to read more.

fonze
July 11th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Im reading

The fire from within
Carlos Cataneda

its a book in a series, although I dont read them in specific order, My friend gives them to me in a order he wants me to read them .. its kind of wierd but he always picks out good books for me, he seems to have more time to look for good books.

Mrs. Yog
July 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Oh, KingsNut..
Song of Susannah is absolutely WONDERFUL. I re-read Desperation yesterday and today to re-familiarize myself with some of the symbols in SOS.
Given the mixed reviews for Da Vinci code, I think that I will pass. I want a book that I can immerse myself into, without noticing that time is passing. Doesn't sound like that's the book I want to read next.

heidster
July 11th, 2004, 09:15 PM
hatter,
If you like Stiff,which I loved, there's also a new one similar to it called Corpse, and one I just finished called Death's Acre about the Body Farm.

Nazgul
July 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM
A collection of HP Lovecraft's short stories. I have't read any Lovecraft before. Very interesting stuff. I love authors who create whole worlds (or universes)...

BoobyTrap
July 11th, 2004, 10:10 PM
i just finished:

the lovely bones ~ anne sebold
master and commander ~ patrick o'brian
the goblet of fire [for like the 4th time just cause i was bored]
digital fortress - d.brown

i've just raided my best friend's personal library so now i have plenty of books but right now i'm reading:

the end of the affair - graham greene
the sixth hp book (cause honestly i've only read it once and in twenty -four hours, so i'm reading for detail now)
homicide: life on the killing streets - david simon
daniel deronda - george eliot

wilcarjer
July 11th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I recently finished Angels & Demons. Very good, quite a page turner. Now I'm reading The Bourne Supremacy before I can see the movie. Very different from the movie. It was written in the height of the cold war, but the movies are based on the character and are written to fit into the current decade.

I'm also relistening to The Great Hunt, book 2 in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, since it takes like a decade for this guy to write a book. So far he's up to 10 books and looks like at least another 2 to go, plus the 3 prequels he is going to write Good fantasy series.

We listen to books on tape in the car, especially during hockey season, since we live in Ventura. Good way to spend long drives

Birddog126
July 11th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I just started Dan Brown's Digital Fortress. So far so good.

Fooferah
July 12th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I have 10 pages to go on Order of the Phoenix (it's about 1642 times better than Goblet of Fire)... then I will probably start Angels & Demons... although I do have Under the Black Flag sitting around that I still haven't read.

possum
July 12th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I'm also relistening to The Great Hunt, book 2 in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, since it takes like a decade for this guy to write a book. So far he's up to 10 books and looks like at least another 2 to go, plus the 3 prequels he is going to write Good fantasy series.

My family has read this series (and started again, as you say). We just finished the prequel "New Spring" and it's a great, fast read. Didn't know we were in for more prequels. Thx for the word.

Redhead
July 12th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Juggling both:

Hottentot Venus by Barbara Chase-Riboud
and
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy

chaingunsofdoom
July 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Currently reading (and almost finished) Star Wars: Medstar 1 - Battle Surgeons by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345463102.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Star Wars meets M.A.S.H, set during the Clone Wars. Great character writing. Book 1 of 2.

KingOMiami
July 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM
"Redemption" Book 3 of the Dhamon Saga...part of the Dragonlance universe

Canuck
July 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0316096199.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I read Lucky as a result of being so moved by "The Lovely Bones".

This too is an incredibly powerful book. It's a true account. Makes me shudder when I think about it.

wilcarjer
July 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM
My family has read this series (and started again, as you say). We just finished the prequel "New Spring" and it's a great, fast read. Didn't know we were in for more prequels. Thx for the word.

Yeah "New Spring" was good, liked learning more about Moiraine and how she met Lan. The next prequel is supposted to be about Tam and how he got his heron marked sword. Jordan said he is going to concentrate on the the original series before finishing the prequels.

sgvkingsfan
July 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM
High Times

Ziggy_33
July 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I just borrowed Children of the Flames from my sister this past week and I'll start reading it today. She decided not to read it because it was too much for her. It's about Dr. Josef Mengele, a Nazi doctor, and all the things that he did to people. From what I am told, it can get into a lot of detail that might be hard for some to read.

I would much rather read about something that actually happened, then to read fiction. I guess I just want to learn about things that have happened and try to understand the events better.

Black Hawk Down and The Cell are great examples.

slapshot22
July 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
damn, i had a whole long reply, and my stupid computer ate it. :(

i'm almost done with The Time Traveler's Wife. very good!!

shadowalk
July 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Just finished Machine Crusade one of the latest Pre-Queels to the Dune series, and reading Second Foundation, 'cuz I didnt read Asimov as a kid. And going to buy Hefs Little Black book tommorrow

darthrob13
July 13th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Currently reading 2 books.

"Democracy in America" by Alexis de Tocqueville
and
"Six Not So Easy Pieces" a collection of lectures by Richard Feynman

The first is the essential starting point in any inquiry into the basics of American democracy, and provides a view of the process that is over 150 years old. This lets one see how things have changed.

The second is an edited transcript of lectures given by Dr. Feynman, at Cal-Tech, 1961-1965. It is stunning how brilliant this man was. Another great read about/by him is "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman".

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0451528123.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0201328429.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393316041.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

D :SpiningDe

Canuck
July 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I just packed these two books for my next flight later today:

I have never read this one before:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0446310786.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And then some "hopefully" interesting political stuff:

http://www.fyilondon.com/photos/75210.jpg

Fooferah
July 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Wow, To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely one of those you somehow missed when you were a kid! Canuck, I think you'll like it... lots about social justice and doing what's right whether or not it's popular. And remember that Scout's little friend was based on her real life childhood friend, Truman Capote.

Canuck
July 13th, 2004, 09:16 AM
I've picked up and read several books that my friends here South of the Border had to study in school - books that you all in the States here are often assigned as required reading.

I have been very pleased with the results.

Slaughterhouse Five
Lord of the Flies
The Catcher in the Rye

That kinda stuff. I'm getting there - I want to be able to understand all literary references in conversation!

Fooferah
July 13th, 2004, 09:24 AM
It seems like there is this whole sub-genre in American required school reading based on private boys' schools. Another one to go along with that is A Separate Peace. I don't know why there are so many of them... I guess it probably had to do with where the predominant authors were coming from in the middle of the 20th century.

Fingolfin
July 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I started reading Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams recently, which prompted me to pick up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again.

- Fin

Jack&Coke
July 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM
I'm about halfway through my third Jack Keroauc book, "Big Sur".

spanky
July 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I'm about 2/3 of the way through John Irving's "The Fourth Hand".

Last book I finished was Irving's "A Widow for One Year". I was surprised to see in the LA Times this morning that the first part of that book has been turned into a movie that's coming out, called "A Door in the Floor".

I'm kind of picky about books and authors now, I just don't get much time to read any more. I have several books backed up.

darthrob13
July 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM
It seems like there is this whole sub-genre in American required school reading based on private boys' schools. Another one to go along with that is A Separate Peace. I don't know why there are so many of them... I guess it probably had to do with where the predominant authors were coming from in the middle of the 20th century.

I hated "A Separate Peace".

Fooferah
July 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I hated "A Separate Peace".

That's what one of my friends says too... she absolutely detests it. I liked it, from what I remember.

Kingsqueen
July 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I'm currently reading a book by English author SIMON CLARK, called "Blood Crazy". It's a horror book...and my first of Clark's. I would say the story is
*somewhat* similar to the movie "28 Days Later"....but Clark adds a great deal of humor to his horror. I'm only on page 138 of 394, but so far, so good.

I'm always on the prowl for some good (trashy even!) horror/thriller books, so
if anyone has a personal recommendation (besides the requisite Stephen King or Anne Rice), I'm "dying" to know. ;) Thanks!

spanky
July 14th, 2004, 08:03 PM
That's what one of my friends says too... she absolutely detests it. I liked it, from what I remember.

All I remember was "Blitz Ball", the game in which the rules were made up on the fly.

The second is an edited transcript of lectures given by Dr. Feynman, at Cal-Tech, 1961-1965. It is stunning how brilliant this man was. Another great read about/by him is "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman".

I received that book as a gift from one of my college professors. Enjoyed it tremendously. Feynman ended up serving on the comission that studies the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I don't know exactly how accurate the folklore is, but he supposedly developed his experiment for testing the fragility of the failed O-rings at freezing temperatures by putting a small rubber ring in a glass of ice-water during a commission meeting.

vrmdlm
July 14th, 2004, 10:13 PM
I have just finished a couple of great books read with my book club. They are:
The Piano Tuner (rent the movie Appocalyse Now to go with it)
Middlesex
We also read the Da Vinci code, which is not a great book in and of itself. The things it discusses, such as the Knights Templar and Opus Dei are fascinating if you do additonal research on the Web. It makes the book more interesting.
I am also reading Teaching Lolita in Teheran, a fascinating story and best seller

Liceroni
July 14th, 2004, 11:22 PM
I just finished "Bleachers", now onto my next book.....hmmm.....maybe "Angels and Demons" finally or "Paradise Lost".

Fisch
July 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Just finished the GoodKind book Sword of Truth:Naked Empire and Sterling's Heavy Weather...made the Lustbader book the bathroom book :).

Started Thomas Harlan's Wastelands of Flint.

Cid_MCDP
July 15th, 2004, 12:53 AM
i read the new non-fiction book from chuck palahniuk last night. it's a bunch of essays on all kinds of stuff. i really liked it, but then i'm a big chuck fan anyways.

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
This collection from shock novelist Palahniuk (Choke; Lullaby) is an eye-opening look at the raw material that goes into Palahniuk's fiction, as well as proof that the novelist's art is derived from keen observation and recording of details. Often these are as grotesque as a closeup in a horror film (e.g., in talking to a group of wrestlers enduring Olympic tryouts, Palahniuk focuses on their injuries, both physical and emotional). Half the essays are magazine assignments and include insightful profiles of rock star Marilyn Manson, indie-movie queen Juliette Lewis and a high schooler who wants to explore space via a homemade rocket. Others offer the author's impressions of a demolition derby, the Rock Creek Lodge Testicle Festival and life aboard the USS Louisiana. Palahniuk often philosophizes, dwelling on the effects his fiction has had on "reality," especially the obsession his fans have had with his novel Fight Club. Palahniuk is fixated on the transformation of life's raw material into fiction and the writing process itself, which he sees as having the potential for self-fulfillment. (Incidentally, Brad Pitt, who played Fight Club's protagonist, emerges as Palahniuk's alter ego, and a number of the essays play on this theme, creating a patchwork memoir.) Palahniuk's fans will undoubtedly revel in the secrets the author reveals. Newcomers might initially feel queasy, but they're likely to warm up to his visceral prose and come to enjoy it.

link: Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385504489/qid=1089878103/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-4162840-1248000?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

darthrob13
July 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I received that book as a gift from one of my college professors. Enjoyed it tremendously. Feynman ended up serving on the comission that studies the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I don't know exactly how accurate the folklore is, but he supposedly developed his experiment for testing the fragility of the failed O-rings at freezing temperatures by putting a small rubber ring in a glass of ice-water during a commission meeting.

It was better then that.

A Morton-Thyocol (sp?) spokesman had just finished speaking to the press about how it couldn't have been the O-Rings.

Feynman proceeded to twirl a piece of o-ring in a glass of ice water. He took it out a little latter, and broke it on the table.

Brilliant man, and a brilliant scientist.

Kings Nut
July 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I started reading Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams recently, which prompted me to pick up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again.

- Fin

no set of books has every made me laugh more the the Hitchhiker's saga. Everytime I pick them up I'm in stitches.

NAU97
July 16th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I am finishing I, Robot and starting The Order of the Phoenix again.

Fooferah
July 16th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I don't know if I can bring myself to finish reading Angels & Demons. Here's a guy who is writing about stuff that would take tons of knowledge and research. He's got Illuminati, history, art, religion, and some damned complex science. Then his characters are being searched by the elite Swiss Guard, who is satisfied they are not a threat after listening for a dial tone on the woman's cell phone. A dial tone. On a cell phone. I don't think I can buy into the rest of the book.

lagwagon0
July 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM
SInce every book I read(practically) fits into the same genre....

Im reading Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen, an oddly funny mystery

Fisch
July 19th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Just finished "The Trigger" by Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell.
-interesting examination of the dogma of firearms and what happens when a technology is discovered that renders nitrate based weapons useless and how the society is forced to deal with it. This is a socio-political drama wrapped in pseudo-science. I give it a 3.5 out of 5 rating.
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0553104586.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just finished Thomas Harlan's "Wasteland of Flint". Interesting premise but overall an average book. 2.5 out of 5
http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/03_sept/bk_wastelandofflint.jpg

Just started S.L. Viehl's "Blade Dancer"
http://www.sff.net/people/slviehl/images/cover_bd.jpg

Fisch
July 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Just finished "Blade Dancer", I put it on par with her other books from her StarDoc series, utilizing the same universe. An easy read. 3 out of 5.

Starting L.E. Modesitt, jr's "Archform: Beauty"

shab
July 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Pretty funny stuff. His essay on Christmas is worth the price of the book.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743246276.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Canuck
July 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM
http://images.chapters.indigo.ca/covers/books/480/0676974805_b.jpg

Ranks up there as one of my faves. Seriously a can't put it down kinda book.

Dodger21
July 20th, 2004, 09:03 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1586212230.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Canuck
July 20th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I LOVE David Sedaris. Funny, funny guy! Good choice Dodger.

Me Talk Pretty One Day had me laughing out loud a lot.

Liceroni
July 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM
http://www.vstore.com/products/m597/p850597/large.jpg

High Priestess
July 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Bought Big Fish by Daniel Wallace. Always wanted to see the movie, so I figured the book had to be pretty good. It's an easy read and quite enjoyable book. Almost done and will either get back to Da Vinci Code or Siddhartha.

chaingunsofdoom
July 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Just started:
Annihilation by Philip Athans (book 5 of 6)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0786932376.01._PE32_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Nice Amazon.com pic... 32% off. :)

Typical Fantasy genre book series. The first 4 books of the series were really well-written (hopefully this one is too).

SMT
July 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I just finished reading
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0679747044.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I want to read the Surely you must be joking... book soon.

Currently reading 2 books.

"Democracy in America" by Alexis de Tocqueville
and
"Six Not So Easy Pieces" a collection of lectures by Richard Feynman

The first is the essential starting point in any inquiry into the basics of American democracy, and provides a view of the process that is over 150 years old. This lets one see how things have changed.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0451528123.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0201328429.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393316041.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fisch
July 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Just started:
Annihilation by Philip Athans (book 5 of 6)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0786932376.01._PE32_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Nice Amazon.com pic... 32% off. :)

Typical Fantasy genre book series. The first 4 books of the series were really well-written (hopefully this one is too).

Worth picking up? Though fantasy and sci-fi are all I read, I tend to read everything but these type of series. Never bought a Forgotten Realm, Magic, Star Wars, Star Trek, RoboTech book. Almost picked up a FR, Salvatore book, but couldn't find the first so passed again.

Do all the FR books take place in a shared universe?

Knight
July 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I am re-reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Waitng for the fourth book to come out.

chaingunsofdoom
July 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Worth picking up? Though fantasy and sci-fi are all I read, I tend to read everything but these type of series. Never bought a Forgotten Realm, Magic, Star Wars, Star Trek, RoboTech book. Almost picked up a FR, Salvatore book, but couldn't find the first so passed again.
I'd say it would be worth a shot to give Book 1 a try since they are in paperback format already... then if you don't like it you can try something else. :) If you'd like to read about Dark Elves first, check out R.A. Salvatore (more info below).

The authors of this series have new trilogies that started this year (it might be a year between books though), which were all good reads:
* Richard Lee Byers (wrote Book 1, new trilogy starts w/ "The Rage")
* Thomas M. Reid (wrote Book 2, new trilogy starts w/ "The Sapphire Cresent")
* Lisa Smedman (wrote Book 4, new trilogy starts w/ "Venom's Taste"))

If you are looking for recommendations for the Star Wars series, I can also help you out with those.

Do all the FR books take place in a shared universe?
Yep, the FR books all take place in the same shared universe. Like any series they have some good books and some bad ones. I've read a lot of them so if you have a specific title in mind, I've probably read it. Some good ones:

1) R.A. Salvatore's first 2 trilogies (he's great at action writing, good w/ characterization, famous for Drizzt the dark elf and the creation of the FR Dark Elf lore):
* The Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland/Exile/Sojourn)
* The Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard/Streams of Silver/The Halfling's Gem)

Note: I've heard people say that the new collected editions have many printing errors and typos, so I'd suggest finding a cheap paperback copy.

2) anything by Elaine Cunningham (OK action writing, great characterization, good at writing elf stories, dabbled in Salvatore's Dark Elf realm with a trilogy)

BTW, http://www.wizards.com has more about books and authors.

Fisch
July 21st, 2004, 04:05 PM
Put down the L.E Modesitt, jr book "Archform: Beauty", left it in the 'office' for when I check my 'stocks'. The first 20 pages were a little boring, something I wasn't expecting from him.

Started and finished Robert Charles Wilson's "Blind Lake" instead.
http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2003/0308/Blind%20Lake/0765302624.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I had read another book of his called "Darwinia" which I found pretty enjoyable, so I grabbed this with the intent to have a good read. I found it to be just that. Decent story and characterizations. 3.5 of 5

Hatter
July 22nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Theeee deadpan grandfather of post-modernism
http://www.thirdmind.org/gallery/image_archives/burroughs.jpg

first to name him - collect 1000 points

BoobyTrap
July 23rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04021314011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7390000/7398908.jpg

i've got a lot books to get through from the library and friends but i picked this up and finished it in about an hour. i thought it was an excellent read and now worth the $10-11 at sam's club.

anyone else read this?

wiley33
July 23rd, 2004, 04:12 PM
Just started Lovely Bones.......I could read it in one night!

PooFlinger
July 23rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Banana News!
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10019000/10019320.jpg

wilcarjer
July 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
http://www.vstore.com/products/m597/p850597/large.jpg

We've listened to all the Left Behind books, except the last one, Glorious Appearing. Waiting for the nonabridged audio version.

Fisch
July 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Started Donald Moffitt's book, "Second Genesis".

Deadair28
July 23rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
I am almost done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Before that, I read A Clockwork Orange. Next, Im going to start The Rum Diary.

Hatter
July 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
I am almost done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Before that, I read A Clockwork Orange. Next, Im going to start The Rum Diary.

Good lord this sounds the summer when I was 15 ;)

Deadair28
July 23rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah well Im only 22. Besides, I didnt really read anything in high school, so I thought I'd catch up on some reading! These books are more intresting than the "required reading" of yester-year.

Hatter...I just re-read my post, and it sounded really defensive. It wasnt meant to be! Its good to know that there are Kings fans that are also fans of HST!

Hatter
July 24th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Yeah well Im only 22. Besides, I didnt really read anything in high school, so I thought I'd catch up on some reading! These books are more intresting than the "required reading" of yester-year.

Hatter...I just re-read my post, and it sounded really defensive. It wasnt meant to be! Its good to know that there are Kings fans that are also fans of HST!

Yeah my friend I was not , nor would I ever put anyone down for their choice of what to read or when they get around to it. Maybe I should have added "good time good times" to the end of my post :snicker . I am glad that you are reading such great books. I will message you with a list of books that I think you will also like. Oh and Yeah I love Hunter S. Thompson, Hell I named my son after him.

possum
July 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
By the way Hatter, that's one smart cookie you've got there too! When I asked about his name at the prospect game, he corrected my bad pronunciation by saying "That's Hunter with a T!" In my slight Southernese, it came out sort of "Hu'nner." What a cool guy. :)

Fooferah
August 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM
I am partway through all of these....

The Harry Potter books (3rd right now)
Middlesex...Jeffrey Eugenides
Delusion of Satan...Frances Hill
Under the Black Flag (the Romance and Reality of Life Among Pirates)...David Cordingly
Just a Couple of Days...Tony Vigorito
Lamb...Christopher Moore
Angels and Demons

I have a really hard time reading one book at a time.

I am now reading Under the Black Flag as well. Have you finished it yet? It's very interesting so far, and I've already learned quite a few new things, like the difference between buccaneers, privateers, and corsairs. Lots of history, and you can really see where our perceptions of pirates come from, and how it's changed over the years.

Huntin4Dux
August 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Currently, I'm reading "The Instruction Manual," as H.I. McDonough called it...

http://visualhistory.freewebpages.org/_webimages/Dr.%20Spock%20Book.jpg

Liceroni
August 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM
I'm reading through "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" nice and slowly.

I also just bought "A Time To Kill" so I'll probably read that again. :)

Puckman
August 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I'm re-reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William S. Shirer.

Fascinating book.

Canuck
August 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I'm reading through "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" nice and slowly.

I also just bought "A Time To Kill" so I'll probably read that again. :)

Both of those books - EXCELLENT.

Liceroni
August 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I really liked "A Time To Kill", but I think I still like "The Rainmaker" better. :)

Cid_MCDP
August 4th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Just started Lovely Bones.......I could read it in one night!

that's pretty cool. my wife bought it last summer. i read it after she was done with it. interesting premise.

Canuck
August 4th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Lovely Bones - another winner.

Read "Lucky" by the same author if you get the chance. Fascinating. Disturbing, but fascinating.

Dodger21
August 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
The Koran

INFIDELS!! ALL OF YOU!

Frolov24
August 4th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Halfway through "The Sicilian" by Mario Puzo.

Nicesave39
August 4th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Good trash novel.....Trading Up by Candace Bushnell of Sex and the City fame.

Euchrid
August 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Just finished re-reading The Wastelands and am starting The Wizard and the Glass, once I finish that I'll buy Song of Susannah and finish the series.

Kings Nut
August 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM
http://www.aclockworkorange.com/book2.gif

Anybody? anybody? I seem to remember seeing parts of the movie around twenty years ago, but not the whole thing. Any opinions on it?

Nazgul
August 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Doing my annual reading of Lord of the Rings. Though technically I never finished last year's annual reading, so I'm doing that before I can do this year's. Mid-way through Two Towers, if anyone's that interested.

I think I'll read The Stand next...

Puckman
August 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Anybody? anybody? I seem to remember seeing parts of the movie around twenty years ago, but not the whole thing. Any opinions on it?

great movie! A classic. Go rent it or something, it won't disappoint.

Euchrid
August 5th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Classic book. Some people find the slang he uses (there's a dictionary in the back) a little hard to grasp at first, but once you get used to it, it's no problem and it reads pretty fast.

Kings Nut
August 6th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Classic book. Some people find the slang he uses (there's a dictionary in the back) a little hard to grasp at first, but once you get used to it, it's no problem and it reads pretty fast.

It did take me a bit to translate the dialogue, learning a new language. But I think I'm getting used to it.

KingHaim
August 6th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Eight by Katherine Neville :clap
The search for the montglane service and the power it possessed.
It is 2 story?s in two different time (France 1700 during the france revolution, NY 1970). clearly there is some connection between the two story?s (beside the montglane service) that I am anxious to uncover.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail
One of dan brown research book for the da vinci code.
It is research base on parchments found in france that leads to the Knights Templar, the Prieure, the crucifixion, and the Holy Grail.
I occasionally read this book I have finished chapter 3 a month ago and did not return to the book since then.

Mr. Bill
August 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Second book in the Sword Dancer series by Jennifer Robeson

Always something by Edgar Allen Poe.

PooFlinger
August 8th, 2004, 10:22 PM
I'm reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. REeally good so far. About 200 pages into it.

Kings Nut
August 14th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Finished A Clockwork Orange. Glad it had the extra chapter in the end where Alex grows up.

now I'm in...

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/5670000/5674582.gif

5Hole
August 14th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Deception Point by Dan Brown. So far so good, will check back when it's done in a couple days and let everyone know....

Canuck
August 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
http://images.chapters.indigo.ca/covers/books/226/0006392261_b.jpg

I *just* started it on Sunday afternoon - about at Chapter 12 I think. So far, excellent.

BoobyTrap
August 17th, 2004, 12:26 PM
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6310000/6318438.gif

Oscar Wilde's Complete Short Fiction

i've been reading this every now and then. it's got really great stories to read to children at bedtime especially 'the happy prince' and 'the nightingale and the rose.'

Cid_MCDP
August 17th, 2004, 12:41 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0312328257.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

good so far... pretty funny too.

chaingunsofdoom
August 17th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Started another SW Novel yesterday... Star Wars: The Cestus Deception by Steven Barnes... good stuff so far.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345458974.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fisch
August 18th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Started John Ringo's "Legacy of the Aldenata: Hell's Faire (book 4)". Military Sci-Fi.

Fisch
August 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Started Scott Westerfeld's "Risen Empire"

PooFlinger
August 20th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Just read R is for Riccochet by Sue Grafton. Story moved a lot quicker than usual for her. Nice change.

C-Note420
August 23rd, 2004, 01:30 AM
A Storm Of Swords by George R.R. Martin.
(Book Three of the Song of Ice and Fire Series.)
DAMN GOOD BOOKS

Euchrid
August 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Finished Wizard and Glass, so now I'll have to go buy Song of Susannah and finish off the series. In the meantime I started Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut.

PooFlinger
August 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Need to pick up a book this weekend. I may reread something first.

Rob2716
August 28th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I just finished the Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. It's the third book of his Dark Materials series (book 1 - The Golden Compass, book 2 - The Subtle Knife). I got these on the recommendation of an LGKer in one of the Harry Potter threads. Anyone who enjoys the Harry Potter books might like this series as well. I like the Harry Potter books much better, but the Pullman books were a nice read and gave me a little bit of a children's fantasy fix while waiting for the new Potter book to come out. Check these out!

Now that I finished this series, I will start reading Angels & Demons, finally, by Dan Brown.

KingHaim
August 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Just finished ?The Vanished Man? by Jeffery Deaver
this time Lincoln and Amelia are after deranged magician/illusionist who uses famous illusionist tricks to kill and to mislead the police.
overall enjoyable but not as good as ?The Stone Monkey?.

P.S for the next book Amelia camaro is going to be red (I am not going to like that).

Kings Nut
August 30th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Finished Ringwolrd

now it's time for...

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/5230000/5239228.gif

luvzig
September 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I picked up The Secret Life of Bees over the weekend and am halfway through. Excellent book so far -- has anyone read it?

Canuck, thanks for the tip on Lucky. The Lovely Bones was one of the most moving novels I have read in a while, so I will be picking Lucky up next.

Also, David Sedaris is hilARious. I love "Me Talk Pretty One Day."

Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread and had to catch up! :)

Fisch
September 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Started and finished over the long weekend,
Kristen Britain's
"Green Rider" and "First Rider's Call"
Jennifer Wingert's
"Grasp the Stars"

started,
Donald Kingsbury's
"Psychohistorical Crisis"

Canuck
September 7th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I picked up The Secret Life of Bees over the weekend and am halfway through. Excellent book so far -- has anyone read it?

Canuck, thanks for the tip on Lucky. The Lovely Bones was one of the most moving novels I have read in a while, so I will be picking Lucky up next.

All of the ones you mention - I have read.

The Secret Life of Bees is just a wonderful, wonderful book.

Me Talk Pretty One Day was my first Sedaris book. You will also love Naked as well.

Lucky touched me even more than The Lovely Bones. Lucky is a true story - chilling.

johnmac44
September 8th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Princes of Ireland - Edward Rutherford

LUCky2085
September 12th, 2004, 12:02 AM
I read multiple books at the same time so here is what I am reading this week:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393050939.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393050939/qid=1089484090/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-4557160-6545403)

And also

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1582342474.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Any Lovers of Stahl's Perv: A Love Story or Plainclothes Naked Will be thrilled at the idea of a new Stahl novel!

Ack I almost forgot:

Kingdom of Fear : Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century
by Hunter S. Thompson

Bull-isht Hatter, you can't read "Big Boy Books!!!"

BoobyTrap
September 12th, 2004, 01:43 PM
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8040000/8041534.gif

i was reading this until i gave it to my mom to read on the plane flying back to california. i hope it's better than 'blow fly.'

but anyway, i wanted to post cause i've been without internet access for a week since school started. i'm going through withdrawls!!! :)

ROBZILLA
September 16th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Green Eggs and Ham

King Taco
September 16th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Just finished reading Cover Up.....
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8140000/8142403.gif

....which was a "wonderful" read about the failings of the 9/11 Commission....it also gave me more reasons to hate the Bush administration.

Now, I'm starting on Five People You Meet in Heaven.
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6600000/6608934.gif

Kings Nut
September 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
here it is again...

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/3580000/3589649.gif

Logman
September 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I'm currently reading a book about The Carlyle Group.

King Taco
September 19th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Just finished Five People....moving on to Da Vinci Code...

What's the book's title, Log? I'm interested...

Logman
September 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM
The Iron Triangle
Inside the secret World of the Carlyle Group
by Dan Briody
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Fisch
September 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Started and finished
David Drakes "Goddess of the Ice Realm" Lord of the Isle's Series

Started Michael Stackpole's "The Grand Crusade" last in the DragonCrown War series.

lagwagon0
September 23rd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson

Kings Nut
September 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1880418622.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Canuck
September 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Once you're done with these, if you haven't already, try "Memoirs of a Geisha".

Lucky Life 420
September 28th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Gravity's Rainbow by Tomas Pynchon

Garryking
September 28th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Only book I have ever read is "The Kidnapping of Freddy Heineken", so that was my last book.

King Taco
October 4th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Perhaps I'm the last person to read Angeles & Demons, but so far so good.

ImA1032
October 4th, 2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.hyperionbooks.com/bookcovers/gaspingcov.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1401300065/104-7688555-7119926?v=glance)

chaingunsofdoom
October 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Currently reading The Confusion by Neal Stephenson (novel #2 of 3).

I'm about 500 pages in with 400 to go (each of the 3 novels is ~900 pages each). It's a really long trilogy, but it is a great read.

Winsomemore
October 5th, 2004, 09:38 PM
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Einstein" by Gary F. Moring, M.A.
Guess I'm on a learning binge.

Kings Nut
October 7th, 2004, 01:55 PM
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6790000/6792767.gif

a timely book, especially after watching both SpaceShipOne launches in the last two weeks.

DougW8
October 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM
http://www.bobdylan.com/i/news/newbooks_below.jpg

Winsomemore
October 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
http://www.bobdylan.com/i/news/newbooks_below.jpg

I'm going to buy it tomorrow night or Saturday. Any comments?

DougW8
October 8th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I'm going to buy it tomorrow night or Saturday. Any comments?

Just started it, but it's great to get his perspective. Volume one starts with his arrival in New York, and the signing of his first contract with Columbia. I'll give a longer review when I get through a little more of the book.

Winsomemore
October 10th, 2004, 07:30 AM
OK. Picked up Bob's "Chronicles Vol. 1" yesterday at Waldon (30% off plus another 10% for being a Waldon Book Club member) and the paperback of Anne Rice's "Blood Chronicles" (missed it in hardcover somehow). The Rice book is (supposedly) the last book she will write in the Vampire Chronicles series.

Gotta lot of reading to do!

ImA1032
October 10th, 2004, 07:52 AM
http://www.wrigleyvillesport.com/istarimages/p/p-27299!GEN.jpg

Winsomemore
October 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Just finished "Chronicles Vol.1" by Bob Dylan. Extremely satisfying read. Hope he is at work on "Vol. 2".

Just starting "Blood Chronicles" by Anne Rice. I missed this in hardcover so I picked up the paperback. Supposedly the last in the Vampire Chronicles series.

Nazgul
October 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Mid-way through The Stand. Coughing people have finally stopped making me paranoid. Now I just hate Vegas more than ever...

Fooferah
October 19th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Just finished "Chronicles Vol.1" by Bob Dylan. Extremely satisfying read. Hope he is at work on "Vol. 2".

Just starting "Blood Chronicles" by Anne Rice. I missed this in hardcover so I picked up the paperback. Supposedly the last in the Vampire Chronicles series.

Do you always read in themes?

I'll take Books With Chronicle In The Title for $1000.

Fooferah
October 19th, 2004, 03:21 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743453913.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So far it seems kind of like a cross between Bridget Jones and High Fidelity.

Euchrid
October 19th, 2004, 03:24 PM
The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories - HP Lovecraft

Winsomemore
October 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Do you always read in themes?

I'll take Books With Chronicle In The Title for $1000.

Wow. I didn't even realize that till you pointed it out.

Finished "Blood Chronicles". Definitely not up to the standards of, say, "The Witching Hour" or "The Vampire Lestat" but even mediocre Rice is pretty good.

If you haven't read any Rice before don't start with this book. It brings to a climax 28 years worth of storytelling.

kingsfan28
October 20th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I've got 2 going right now:
Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe
http://www.astromax.com/images/nightwatch.jpg
This is a great book if you want to learn about astronomy.

Clive Cussler:
Inca Gold
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0671519816.01._SCTZZZZZZZ_.gif

DLEOS91745
October 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson

9-11 & Terror and War, both by Noam Chomsky

Marx in SoHo- Howard Zinn

gescom
October 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
The Republic

-interesting... one thing to know what we think, another to know why we think it.

Rob2716
November 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Recently finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. Another entertaining book. I really like the way this guy writes. Not up to the standards of Angels & Demons or Da Vinci Code, but what is? I'm on the library's waiting list for Digital Fortress and can't wait to read that one.

Also read Remembering the Osage Kid by Mardi Oakley Medawar on recommendation. Successful Osage business man writes his autobiography and, upon his death, leaves his story and funeral preparation responsibilities with a man considered to be an enemy. Very interesting read as the enemy learns about his nemesis, but also a lot about his own life. I enjoyed this very much.

Currently reading The Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle about the lives of two couples coming together. One couple illegal immigrants, while the other is upper-class American. I'm only 100 pages in, and it has kept my interest, but somewhat wary of the socially relevant message I'm sure will emerge from this story.

Fooferah
November 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Recently finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. Another entertaining book. I really like the way this guy writes. Not up to the standards of Angels & Demons or Da Vinci Code, but what is? I'm on the library's waiting list for Digital Fortress and can't wait to read that one.

The stories are fun, but I think Dan Brown's writing style sucks... particularly in A&D. Either it improved by DVC, or I got used to it enough not to notice.

I'm reading this:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04083114011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8200000/8202873.jpg

Fooferah
November 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
I wish someone would post medium sized book cover pics. They are either gigantic, or too small to figure out what it is.

Liceroni
November 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM
I'm in a John Grisham phase....again....

I just finished reading "Skipping Christmas". Short read, pretty predictable storyline. I don't know if I'll spend the money to watch the movie, even though it was the preview that propelled me to read the book.

Now I'm reading
http://www.fantasticfictionimages.co.uk/images/n4/n23638.jpg

Rob2716
November 2nd, 2004, 09:44 AM
The stories are fun, but I think Dan Brown's writing style sucks... particularly in A&D. Either it improved by DVC, or I got used to it enough not to notice.

Perhaps it's just a matter of taste, but it takes a bit for an author to really hook me and get me to find time to read his story or to stay up til 2/3am because that's the only time I can find to keep reading. I've done that with the three Dan Brown books I've read, and we'll see if that continues when I get Digital Fortress. I read Da Vinci Code first and it took me a little while to get into it, so maybe his style does take some getting used to. As soon as I started reading Angels & Demons, I couldn't put it down.

I don't think I've read a single John Grisham book. Have a particular favorite, Licerony?

Kings Nut
November 5th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Finishing this...

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04081312011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8090000/8099134.jpg

Very riveting. Better than the movie.

Next is...

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/1200000/1208992.gif

Iwan2r0ck
November 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Combat: The War With Japan

Winsomemore
November 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Just started "The Da Vinci Code". It grabbed me right from the start. Mystery, intrigue, interesting characters, descriptive environments and I'm only on page 30.

Rob2716
November 8th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I finished Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle. The story is basically the lives of two couples and how the two worlds perceive each other. One couple is upper-class white, the other Mexican illegal immigrants. Yes, stereotypes galore with the white couple's big problem in life is seemingly the devaluation of their property due to a day labor meeting area near their neighborhood. The lives of the Mexican couple could have been a part of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. Everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. It was quite an annoying read.

Anyway, on to better... I got to read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown this weekend. Once again, he gets my attention with his story and has me reading practically non-stop. It's about as good as Deception Point. Something entertaining to read, but doesn't have that thought-provoking element in Da Vinci Code. I've read and enjoyed all four of his books, and now I must wait until his next book comes out.. assuming he's working on one.

I don't know what is next on my reading list. Perhaps it's time to browse through this thread again and try one of the books you guys have read recently.

Fooferah
November 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I've read and enjoyed all four of his books, and now I must wait until his next book comes out.. assuming he's working on one.

He is. It will be set in DC, about the founding fathers and the freemasons.

Kitten
November 8th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Started reading Friday Night Lights - i want to read it before seeing the movie
then purchased Trace by Patricia Cornwell yesterday. didn't realize a new Scarpetta novel had come out and i had to have it. i figure i'll plow through it in 4 days and then finish up the other one.

Hockey RN
November 15th, 2004, 11:42 PM
The Screwtape Letters- CS Lewis and
The devil wears prada- Lauren Weisberger

gescom
November 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM
The Screwtape Letters

ha funny... i just pulled that out to read it again after watching that PBS special about CS Lewis and Freud...

Hockey RN
November 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
ha funny... i just pulled that out to read it again after watching that PBS special about CS Lewis and Freud...

Really? Zad recommended it to me. I'm enjoying the read.

Hipcheck
November 16th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Might as well weigh in.....

Right now its Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut and a bit of Keroauc's Desolation Angels. Just finished Bukowskis Post Office.

I really need something new to read just havent had time until recently.

High Priestess
November 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Finished "He's Just Not That Into You" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. A great book that every woman should read.

Reading "The Voodoo Queen" by Robert Tallant that I got in New Orleans. It's a novel about Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau and her life in New Orleans.

A-FROGIRL
November 16th, 2004, 06:29 PM
So I'm gonna jump on in:

Just read this week James Patterson's London Bridges.. I've been reading his stuff for over 10 years and it gets better and better.

Also just finished today "Memoirs of a Geisha". Really well writen. I didn't realize it was fiction until after I finished it.

Iwan2r0ck
November 17th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Combat: WWII-The War With Japan and The Finishing School-Earning the Navy SEAL Trident.

ImA1032
November 17th, 2004, 02:49 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1581602782.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/089141536X.03.LZZZZZZZ

KingBiscuit
November 17th, 2004, 04:09 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743211987.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Story of World War II : Revised, expanded, and updated from the original text by Henry Steele Commager

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743211987/ref=lpr_g_1/104-0243419-7089538?v=glance&s=books

Every chapter has many entries from those involved in each battle. It makes for a chilling and vivid account of WWII. I just read a several page account of a crewman that was trapped in the capsized USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor. He was one of the 32 that was rescued after being trapped for 25 hours. He even wondered if he got out, if the Japanese had taken full control of the harbor...There are accounts from infantrymen, to special agents...Russian, Englishman, Japanese, American, German.

Nazgul
November 17th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Just started reading Dune. The plan it to read the whole series (minus those his son wrote)...

Winsomemore
November 25th, 2004, 09:12 AM
"Angels and Demons". This book is just as good as, if not better than "The DaVinci Code"...as someone already said.......

Winsomemore
November 27th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Starting Dan Brown's "Deception Point".

HockeyDad
November 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Just finished "Cold Mountain", which shares very little with the movie (the movie is pretty much a total and unnecessary rewrite of the book). Excellent book!

lagwagon0
December 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Getting ready to start London Bridges by James Patterson. Two out of the last three books(3rd Degree and The Lake House) Ive read by him were entirely subpar for him so hopefully this one is better. Also noticed someone is reading Kiss the Girls. That and Along Came a Spider are the two of the Cross series I havent read(which is why I should never see movies first). I'll have to go back and read those.

As to what I just finished. I read The Prince of Beverly Hills by Stuart Woods(new) which is pretty good. It's obvious he's running out of stories after all the years. I followed that by reading his much earlier book Run Before the Wind(1983). If you havent read this guy its very fast paced writing rarely believable but always entertaining(now read 27 of the 29 fiction books he has written).

Winsomemore
December 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Finished Dan Drown's "Deception Point". Excellent.

Just starting his "Digital Fortress". Also looks like another winner. This guy is great.

BeerMan
December 4th, 2004, 07:08 PM
The Approaching Storm - Norma Waln

Fooferah
December 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers/1-4000-3170-2.gif

At first I was having trouble reconciling the characters with the timeframe in which the story is set. I'm getting used to it, though. This is supposedly considered to be somewhat of a contemporary classic. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's certainly interesting. If you like F. Scott Fitzgerald and the other early 20th century ex-patriot type stuff, you might give it a try. It seems to be set in the 1990s (I think), but the characters are straight out of Gatsby or something by Hemingway.

Euchrid
December 7th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick. Very quick read, only took two days. The book is the basis for Blade Runner, but VERY loosely. The two have very little in common, and the book is much more along the lines of Brave New World or 1984 and not nearly as violent as the movie. Good book.

Nicesave39
December 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz - decent story, quick read, typical Koontz with a little Stephen King feel to it

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - pretty funny, enjoyed it

Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom - classic Judy, great story, fun to read

I'm just starting the Lovely Bones now.

Catman39
December 8th, 2004, 10:58 AM
What am I reading right now?

The back of my cereal box.

Annapurna
December 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
The Plot Against America, by Philip Roth

So far, so good :)

Gina
December 8th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Finished "He's Just Not That Into You" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. A great book that every woman should read.

I haven't had much time to read lately - but I read this in a night. Great stuff, for sure. Required reading for all you ladies out there!! :) And if you miss the book, you can catch the movie soon enough.

LINK (http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=11649)

Canuck
December 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz - decent story, quick read, typical Koontz with a little Stephen King feel to it

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - pretty funny, enjoyed it

Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom - classic Judy, great story, fun to read

I'm just starting the Lovely Bones now.

I've read all of these - you're freakin me out!

Vortex
December 8th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Just finished reading "The 5 people you meet in heaven."

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and get The DaVinci Code and...

http://bluepoint.egenet.net/sagan/contact.jpg

Iwan2r0ck
December 9th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Shadow Warriors Inside the Special Forces by Tom Clancy with General Carl Stiner (Ret.) and Tony Koltz. I'm also still reading Combat: The War With Japan.

Vortex
December 11th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Just finished the DaVinci Code. It was pretty interesting...I liked it. I think now I'm going to have to go out and buy Angels and Demons. I'm also going to grab (on the recommendations of this thread) Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. In fact, I think that's going to be the one I start next...

Winsomemore
December 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Just finished the DaVinci Code. It was pretty interesting...I liked it. I think now I'm going to have to go out and buy Angels and Demons. I'm also going to grab (on the recommendations of this thread) Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. In fact, I think that's going to be the one I start next...

You have impeccable taste.

Winsomemore
December 19th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Can't speak highly enough about Dan Brown. Finished all four of his books and wasn't disappointed at all.

Currently in the middle of "The Firefly" by P.T. Deutermann >link< (http://www.ptdeutermann.com/) .

http://www.ptdeutermann.com/images/index.htm_txt_Firefly.gif

His writing is very much along the lines of Tom Clancy. This novel concerns espionage, murder, government law enforcement agency politics. Very well written and interesting.

lagwagon0
December 19th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Follow Up: Finished London Bridges by James Patterson a few days ago. Enjoyed it like I knew I would but the worst Alex Cross book to date. Cross feels like an afterthought in this book and I thought just seems hastily written. Now moving on to Body Double by Tess Gerritsen.

Frolov24
December 20th, 2004, 04:34 PM
After I get it for X-mas, I'll be reading this: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0066214130.01._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This week, to better understand what's going on with the Dodgers right now, it's http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393057658.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Rob2716
December 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Can't speak highly enough about Dan Brown. Finished all four of his books and wasn't disappointed at all.

Just because I'm curious, how would you (and anyone else who has read all four Brown books) rank the four novels?

Mine:
1. Angels & Demons (by a hair)
2. Da Vinci Code
3. Deception Point
4. Digital Fortress

Oh... and in keeping with the topic of this thread, I'm currently reading Chicken Soup for the Golfer's Soul. Why?? Hell, I don't know why. I had nothing to do at lunch time, went next door to the library and that's what I came up with. It's actually okay. It's a collection of short stories, almost all of which are just a couple pages long. It's pretty convenient since I don't have time to sit down and read a full novel right now. I think I have "Along Came A Spider" by James Patterson at home and am hoping to start that once the holidays start winding down. It will be the first Patterson book I read, so if I would be better off starting with another title, please share the info.

Winsomemore
December 20th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Just because I'm curious, how would you (and anyone else who has read all four Brown books) rank the four novels?

Mine:
1. Angels & Demons (by a hair)
2. Da Vinci Code
3. Deception Point
4. Digital Fortress

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being his best:

1. Angels & Demons 10
2. Da Vinci Code 9.9
3. Deception Point 9.8
4. Digital Fortress 9.6

I agree with your rankings Rob. He hasn't written a bad book yet imho.

Winsomemore
December 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Follow up: Highly recommend "The Firefly" by P.T. Deutermann. Finished it tonight. If you like Tom Clancy and Dan Brown this book should be a good read.

Reaper
December 22nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
The Art Of War by Frederick the Great.

Chartrand
December 22nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
"Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson.

Kings Nut
December 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick. Very quick read, only took two days. The book is the basis for Blade Runner, but VERY loosely. The two have very little in common, and the book is much more along the lines of Brave New World or 1984 and not nearly as violent as the movie. Good book.

I find it interesting that Dick's works are good ideas for movies, but don't translate directly to the screen. Minority Report the book just seems like a treatment for the movie.

I just started
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/1280000/1286360.gif

So far I've like most of Crichton's work except for Congo and The Lost World (which was a sequel to JP the movie, not JP the book).

Winsomemore
December 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose".

Hockey RN
December 24th, 2004, 04:42 PM
He's just not that into you. Great call HP. True and funny read. Wow.

DougW8
December 30th, 2004, 06:18 PM

I'm reading this:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04083114011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8200000/8202873.jpg

I'm reading that now. If you like the Hitchhiker's Guide, you may like this as well, although some may find offernse in the subject matter.

Kings Nut
January 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I just finished

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8480000/8482874.gif

which was a lot of fun, especially looking at all of the "high-tech" stuff of the late sixties.

So now I though I'd read his next book...

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8480000/8482446.gif

Liceroni
January 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/schools/rica/mediacenter/theshining.jpg

hkysbck
January 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I'm halfway through "I Am Charlotte Simmons", liking it alot.

luvzig
January 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I just finished The Devil in the White City -- very interesting for those who favor true crime or historical fiction. It's non-fiction, telling parallel stories of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and a serial killer who uses the fair to his advantage. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it well-written, chilling, and full of fascinating historical facts.

DougW8
January 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I just finished The Devil in the White City -- very interesting for those who favor true crime or historical fiction. It's non-fiction, telling parallel stories of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and a serial killer who uses the fair to his advantage. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it well-written, chilling, and full of fascinating historical facts.

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.

Crownhed84
January 14th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Over halfway Through "The Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy, next will be The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson followed by London Bridges. I also have to catch up on my Clive Cussler.

roenick
January 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Ok I broke down and bought The Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers at a used book store. I want to re-read the trilogy that I read in high school. I am twenty pages in and it is as good as I remember (Bilbo/Frodo's birthday party is about to start).

The cool thing is the used book store that I went to had the Two Towers in an edition that was printed in 1965. I am looking for old copies, either paperback or hard, but the key is older editions. I am looking for some of the old drawings (in lieu of the new pictures from the movie) that accompanied the books at that time. If anyone has a good used book store to recommend I am willing to listen.

Thanks. Oh and "FRODO LIVES."

Fooferah
January 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Ok I broke down and bought The Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers at a used book store. I want to re-read the trilogy that I read in high school. I am twenty pages in and it is as good as I remember (Bilbo/Frodo's birthday party is about to start).

The cool thing is the used book store that I went to had the Two Towers in an edition that was printed in 1965. I am looking for old copies, either paperback or hard, but the key is older editions. I am looking for some of the old drawings (in lieu of the new pictures from the movie) that accompanied the books at that time. If anyone has a good used book store to recommend I am willing to listen.

Thanks. Oh and "FRODO LIVES."

How much were they asking for those old paperback editions?

Fooferah
January 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
I'm reading that now. If you like the Hitchhiker's Guide, you may like this as well, although some may find offernse in the subject matter.

I can't remember if it's actually somewhere in the back of the book, or if I saw it on his website, but Moore explains how he went through great pains to minimize any aspect of the story that would be most offensive, and concentrated on events that wouldn't really conflict with things in the Bible. He said he tried to stick to anything not covered, and in such a way that did not try to alter standard perceptions too much. I guess some people are definitely offended by anything though.

I think it is not so much a story about Jesus, as it is about Biff. It's about the lesser of two friends, trying to live up to the other's standards and accomplishments, and dealing with always being the one in the shadow. I would think it is something anyone with older siblings or friends who have been very successful would relate to.

It seemed to me that all through the story, if anyone did anything objectionable, it was Biff, and it made "Josh" seem that much better by comparison, especially in the way that he resisted becoming too like friends of questionable influence.

I actually think Moore handled the challenges inherent in the premise quite well.

Fooferah
January 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
I always see this in the bookstore:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04112409011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8740000/8741204.jpg

So I finally picked it up. Pretty good, though I'm not too far into it yet. But I just keep thinking how much funnier it would have been if Jen Sincero had written it.

roenick
January 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
How much were they asking for those old paperback editions?

The 1965 edition of Two Towers (with a very cool pencil drawing of Fangor Forest by Mr. Tolkien on the cover) was $1.65! The only uncool thing about it was a slight tear on the cover :k-crying:

The Fellowship was a new one with Frodo looking at Sting from the movie. It was in great shape (not that I will keep it) but it was $3.25.

I asked the guys at the counter if they had any hard backs and they said no and added that they are not seeing very many copies changing hands now. I just had to have that old edition. I am going to keep looking around and see what I can find.

I guess Tolkien made drawings of all the various places, significant landmarks, etc. that were originally used with the printings of the novels. They are kind of cool.

Gina
January 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM
So I finally picked it up. Pretty good, though I'm not too far into it yet. But I just keep thinking how much funnier it would have been if Jen Sincero had written it.

I really enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. It reminded me of a shoot I did a couple of years ago at a spa during a retreat with a bunch of magazine beauty editors. Some of those magazine people really ARE like that. Cute and fun mindless read, IMO.

Winsomemore
January 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Finished Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose". Really an amazing literary achievment but kind of a bummer if you don't speak Latin as it was sprinkled throughout the book. I think there is an edition that has translations but the version I got didn't have 'em.

Currently reading luvzig's recommendation. Erik Larson's "The Devil in the White City". Looks to be a great read.

Liceroni
January 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I finally finished "The Shining" on Friday. Good book. At times I was afraid to read at night because I didn't want to be scared before going to bed.

Now the search for the next book to read. Maybe I'll pick up "The Da Vinci Code" and give it another shot....only made it to about page 20 the first time.

gescom
January 31st, 2005, 12:23 PM
http://students.haverford.edu/east/east260/projects/turner/cover.jpg

i just started this one... Haruki Murakami is such a beautiful writer.

Vortex
February 5th, 2005, 12:06 AM
This past month (January) I finished two books...

http://www.pointsouth.com/apologia/dilorenzo_debate/reallincoln.jpg

This one's a winner. Pretty much shreds apart the myth of Lincoln as being a heroic type president. It's kind of disheartening in a way, but it's still a very good read.

http://www.johnmcwhorter.com/images/authenticallypb.jpg

This one was a solid read as well. The author (John McWhorter) writes with a conservative slant, but it wasn't anything too over the top or unbearable for us libs. :)

I haven't decided what I'm going to read next, but I'm tempted to delve into the LOTR trilogy. (I've never read any of them)

go
February 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Anybody read Jared Diamond's Pulitzer Prize Winning Book "Guns Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies"

He just came out with another book titled "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed"

Liceroni
February 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM
"Catch Me If You Can" was an easy and entertaining read. Now I'm reading "The Da Vinci Code" and I'm going to finish it this time...really.

girl4kings
February 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Charlotte's Web for my childrens lit class

ibleedkngs
February 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
This Thread is still alive???????????

girl4kings
February 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
reading never ends....

Liceroni
February 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Reading is good for you. :)

Fooferah
February 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
It's fundamental.

Euchrid
February 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. Good fast read, real fast - it took me 2 days. Not as good as Da Vinci Code, but still an entertaining page turner.

DougW8
February 13th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I just finished "a Country Doctor's Casebook" by Roger A. Mac Donald M.D. Now I'm starting the sequel "A Country Doctor's Chronicle" They are filled with anecdotal tales of a doctor practicing medicine in the far north of Minnesota from 1948-1980. I bought the books at a silent auction last week benefitting a church camp where I worked during my high school years. The doctor splits his time between Minnesota and La Verne these days, and attends my church (I use that term loosely, since I set foot there for the first time in 10 years last week). I bid on the signed copies thinking I would send them to my uncle who lives in Minnesota. I'm thinking now, I may keep them. Some very thoughtful tales of life in the country. Very quick reads, with short chapters, so easy books to pick up when you have a few minutes. Now, I find my uncle is coming to visit this next weekend. Maybe I'll at least let him read them while he's here.

Rob2716
February 13th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I've had money and refinancing on my mind quite a bit lately, so I picked up "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert R Kiyosaki, which was recommended by a friend.

I'm about halfway through it, and it's a pretty interesting read so far. Kinda puts debt and expenses in perspective. Wish I had this available to me while I was in college. I might have sidestepped some of the financial difficulties I put myself into. Definitely something I'll have to re-read when I teach my kids (when I have them) about money and finances.

Rob2716
February 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Finally finished "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". It was an interesting read and might be helpful to any one of you entertaining the thought the investing or just getting a different perspective about the meaning of money. At the very least, it will be thought-provoking.

Still on a bit of a financial kick, so now I'm reading "The Rich and How They Got That Way" by Cynthia Crossen. Appears to be short stories of some of the wealthiest people at different points in history.

joker
February 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Holy Bible - King James Version - Just finished the Book of Esther

mitchrock
February 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Just read Moneyball and really enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see how Depodesta runs the Dodgers front office.

My wife just picked up Disney War for us to read.

hkysbck
February 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers

roenick
March 2nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Ok as I noted earlier I started the Lord of the Rings trilogy again (read it in high school). I forgot how much I enjoyed it and what an incredible writer Tolkien was. He was a master of story telling. Here is one simple example:

Now they laid Boromir in the middle of the boat that was to bear him away. The grey hood and elven-cloak they folded and placed beneath his head. They combed his long dark hair and arrayed it upon his shoulders. The golden belt of Lorien gleamed about his waist. His helm they set beside him, and across his lap they laid the cloven horn and the hilts and shards of his sword; beneath his feet they put the swords of his enemies. Then fastening the prow to the stern of the other boat, they drew him out into the water. They rowed sadly along the shore, and turning into the swift-running channel they passed the green sward of Parth Galen. The steep sides of Tol Brandir were glowing: it was now mid-afternoon. As they went south the fume of Rauros rose and shimmered before them, a haze of gold. The rush and thunder of the falls shook the windless air.

Sorrowfully they cast loose the funeral boat: there Boromir lay, restful, peaceful, gliding upon the bosom of the flowing water. The stream took him while they held their own boat back with their paddles. He floated by them, and slowly his boat departed, waning to a dark spot against the goldenlight; and then suddenly it vanished. Rauros roared on unchanging. The River had taken Boromir, son of Denethor, and he was not seen again in Minas Tirith, standing as he used to stand upon the White Tower in the morning. But in Gondor in after-days it long was said that the elven-boat rode the falls and the foaming pool, and bore him down through Osgiliath, and past the many mouths of Anduin, out into the Great Sea at night under the stars.

Aragorn and Legolas go on with a song of tribute to Boromir and Gondor but I think you get the idea of what I am talking about. Tolkien was a true master of his craft. If you are thinking about reading them for the first time or again like me, you won't be sorry. Also sorry if my geekness shows but this is really as good as I remember it being - lol!

Now on to Two Towers and battle of Helms Deep and Shelob ....

spanky
March 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I finally finished "The Fourth Hand" by John Irving. I never get tired of him. His female characters are getting to be really intersting.

shab
March 11th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Since I'm trapped in jury duty for a long trial, I've had time to both read and contemplate my lack of freedom. Besides, what's with politicians (from all sides) & world leaders--along with teenagers, workers, employers, athletes, militia types, criminals & terrorists--all throwing around the word "freedom" so much? They cannot all mean the same thing. So, I decided to pick up a book to look at this from a historical perspective.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0393319628.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

orpheus
March 12th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I am ashamed to admit it, but I've never read Kurt Vonnegut. So I am know reading Slaughter House 5. Interesting book thus far. I will read more of Vonnegut's work after I am finished with this book.

DTis#1King
March 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Angels & Demons.

I read this a few months ago, a little out there in some of the things that happened in the book, but overall very good = prequel to "The Da Vinci Code".

I finished "The Da Vinci Code" a few weeks back, instantly makes my top 5 all-time list. They are making this into a movie with Tom Hanks as the main character, should be a great fit for him.

Currently I am breezing through "The Mallorean" by David Eddings, it's the 2nd series of two, the first is "The Belgariad" = both are fantastic - I read both series a while back, think Lord of the Rings done light with plenty of humor.

luvzig
March 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I finally finished "The Fourth Hand" by John Irving. I never get tired of him. His female characters are getting to be really intersting.

Love John Irving. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is one of my favorite books of all time.

BoobyTrap
March 29th, 2005, 08:47 AM
i picked up 'sahara' by clive cussler while i was chilling out at newark airport waiting to go home for spring break. this is the first time i've read any of his stuff. i wanna know if he's got any other good books out.....recommendations? or did i just totally waste 9 bucks reading his stuff.

Rob2716
March 29th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Back into fiction and picked up "The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/theruleoffour/ (http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/theruleoffour/)

Similar to Dan Brown/DaVinci Code, except it's college-aged men researching the hidden message in a complex book. It's actually pretty good. I haven't had much time to read lately, but I've been making time to read this one because it's entertaining me that much. Not nearly as thought-provoking as DaVinci Code, but definitely interesting. Check this one out.

Vortex
April 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
On the recommendation of a historian who posts on another board I visit, I picked up "American Sphinx - The Character of Thomas Jefferson" by Joseph J. Ellis.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/9e/7d/0679764410-books-resized200.jpg

Hockey RN
April 2nd, 2005, 03:49 PM
The Four Agreements~By Don Migel Ruiz

A quick fast read and should be manditory for everyone on this board.

roenick
April 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM
i picked up 'sahara' by clive cussler while i was chilling out at newark airport waiting to go home for spring break. this is the first time i've read any of his stuff. i wanna know if he's got any other good books out.....recommendations? or did i just totally waste 9 bucks reading his stuff.

Any of the early Dirk Pitt reads are good (Raise the Titanic etal.). The latest installments of the series didn't interest me although I have read that Sahara was good (back to the basics of the series). I read like nine of the other ones. I will take a look and see what it was I have read, what was the best of the bunch and get back to you.

I am just finishing "The Return of the King" in the Lord of the Rings. Really, really great ending to the triology. Different, and not in a bad way, from the movie. Just can't get enough of this story.