PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

UnholyGoalie
September 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Depends on what you mean by "money's worth". I've been to beer festivals with similar setups (though not quite as pricey) and gotten enough damage done within the first 20 minutes to justify the price.

BeerMan
September 1st, 2013, 11:38 PM
Finally got my hands on the Anderson Valley Burbon Barrel Stout. Definitely on par with all the beers I've had from Kentucky. Worth a taste if you like the barrel flavor beers.

this. ^^^ it has quite a creamy taste.

sonnyboy11
September 2nd, 2013, 01:56 AM
I long ago gave up drinking beer... or anything for that matter... based on price (value) vs sheer volume. The LABW opening event is appealing because Union Station is awesome, there will be a lot of great and possibly rare beer, and there will be similarly minded folks abound appreciating the atmosphere. How much will I actually drink? Dunno. And don't really care. Still, I understand it's not exactly the cheapest event out there.

BeerMan
September 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
for your interest
Craft brewers find it’s best to do business outside of L.A. (http://www.presstelegram.com/lifestyle/20130902/craft-brewers-find-its-best-to-do-business-outside-of-la)

glad to hear of Pacific Plate opening last Friday, their initial opening day was supposed to be back in May. damn red tapes, kinda surprised they had to go to LA rather than Monrovia to work out the issues.

DRGinLBC
September 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Anyone going to the OC Brew HA HA on Saturday? The wife and I are going for my birthday. We got a VIP pass a while back.

OC Brew Ha Ha | Orange County's Premier Craft Beer Festival (http://ocbrewhaha.com/)

UnholyGoalie
September 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, and if it has, my apologies. Can't wait for next year!

Firestone Walker Brewery details plans for Venice location - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-firestone-walker-brewery-venice-20130905,0,143739.story)

BeerMan
September 7th, 2013, 03:04 PM
awesome. no longer got to drive 2+ hours to get to Buellton for their food and beer.

notbob
September 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S. - TheStreet (http://www.thestreet.com/story/12029745/1/10-fastest-growing-craft-breweries-in-the-us.html)

jammer06
September 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S. - TheStreet (http://www.thestreet.com/story/12029745/1/10-fastest-growing-craft-breweries-in-the-us.html)

Can't recommend the draughthouse in Austin enough if you have to kill time there. Great place to try brews. 512 is a great place to start with Austin beers too.

mitchrock
September 11th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Great article. Some of those beers look tasty. Especially the Jasmine IPA.

DougW8
September 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM

I was lucky enough to try some of the beers from 10 Barrel Brewing when I was in Vancouver Washington a couple of years ago. I was sitting at small pub in Vancouver, WA with one of the brewers. Real nice guy, and happy that they are seeing growth.

Stormy2213
September 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Here is a shameless plug (forgive a proud dad!) - my daughter, who is a big time Kings fan, just got hired as retail manager there - so if you go in, be sure to buy something from the shop!

And when I head down there eventually, I'll report back on what I tasted. :drinks:

BeerMan
September 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
she'd be in good company. a handful of employees there are hockey fans.

sonnyboy11
September 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM
LABW events are posted

Events - LA Beer Week 2013 (http://labeerweek.com/event/)

Besides the opening gala I am also hitting the Bottle Room/Allagash night. D

Doing this tomorrow with some friends to get prepared! :cheers:

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1234960_514453918637624_206183766_n.jpg

UnholyGoalie
September 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Drinking the first pumpkin beer for the new season. Anderson Valley Fall Hornin', which I'd never seen before and it's in cans which I like. Good stuff. Deeper and darker ala DFH Punkin' and the spices are not overdone.

Fisch
September 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
here's some of the different ones in the last couple of months, all but the Abita, Old Numbskull and Monk in the Trunk were on tap

Abita Brewing: Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat
Alesmith: Cream Ale
Alesmith: Horny Devil
Alesmith: Old Numbskull Barley Wine
Allagash: Black
Ballast Point: Even Keel Am. Pale Ale
Ballast Point: Sculpin
Bear Republic: Black Racer IPA
Bear Republic: Crazy Ivan Belgian IPA
Bear Republic: El Oso Am. Amber
The Bruery: Humulus Lager
Brouwerij Duvel Moorgat: Marcedous 10
Brouwerij Rodenbach: Grand Cru Flemish
Brouwerij van Steenberg: Monk's Cafe Flemish
Brouwerij Verhaege: Duchesses de Bourgogne
Dogfish Head: Festina Peche
Inlet Brewing: Monk in the Trunk Organic Amber Ale
Kiuchi Brewing: Hitachino Dai Dai IPA
Lost Abbey: Framboise di Amarosa
Lost Abbey: Witches Wit
Maui Brewing: Mana Wheat
Modern Times: Black House
Modern Times: Blazing World Am. Amber
Modern Times: Fortunate Islands Am. Wheat
Modern Times: Lomaland Saison
Modern Times: Oneida
Ommegang: Witte
Port Brewing: Amigo
Port Brewing: Mongo
Russian River: Blind Pig
Russian River: Damnation
Societe: The Apprentice IPA
Societe: The Harlot
Societe: The Madam
Societe: The Publican
Societe: The Pupil Am. Pale Ale
St. Archers: St. Archers IPA
St. Archers: Pale Ale
Stone: Gotterdammerung

Stormy2213
September 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Restocked the fridge this weekend. Too many choices brought home so I just reached into the fridge and pulled the first bottle I touched to drink while making some raspberry jam. It turned out to be the Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company. I'm not really a fan of Uinta beers, except for the Sea Legs Baltic Porter, so the gf picked this one out, not me. And I'm glad she did. All I'll say is **** YEA to this one for launching into Autumn. What a flavor bomb - malty, spicy, heady - all kinds of stuff going on in this sucker that it just screams out Halloween/Thanksgiving season. I HIGHLY recommend finding this and paying the high price for it. It's totally worth the $15. Good, good stuff. And it weighs in at 10.3% ABV thereabouts. You can't tell it's that heavy at all.

DMAN3474
September 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Societe: The Apprentice IPA
Societe: The Harlot
Societe: The Madam
Societe: The Publican
Societe: The Pupil Am. Pale Ale

Ive heard good things about their beers, how were they?

The new stone enjoy by comes out today. The last one was real tasty!!

Fisch
September 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ive heard good things about their beers, how were they?

The new stone enjoy by comes out today. The last one was real tasty!!

Societe's were very good with the Harlot so far my favorite, 6.4abv I think. I've had about 10 of them from the last keg my local spot had. Such an easy drinking beer. They're still pretty new so they're trying a bunch of different IPA variations.

San Diego and Craft Beer is pretty kick-ass.

UnholyGoalie
September 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Restocked the fridge this weekend. Too many choices brought home so I just reached into the fridge and pulled the first bottle I touched to drink while making some raspberry jam. It turned out to be the Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company. I'm not really a fan of Uinta beers, except for the Sea Legs Baltic Porter, so the gf picked this one out, not me. And I'm glad she did. All I'll say is **** YEA to this one for launching into Autumn. What a flavor bomb - malty, spicy, heady - all kinds of stuff going on in this sucker that it just screams out Halloween/Thanksgiving season. I HIGHLY recommend finding this and paying the high price for it. It's totally worth the $15. Good, good stuff. And it weighs in at 10.3% ABV thereabouts. You can't tell it's that heavy at all.
That's good to hear, I have a bottle from last year and just bought two from this year, all on the educated guess that I would like it as I've never tasted it. Gonna crack open the one from last year sometime in the next few weeks.

Fisch
September 23rd, 2013, 11:00 PM
My buddy got a few Almanac: Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine's...Farm To Barrel he really likes but they're pricey.
I've only tried a Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale...not really my thing...but I do love some pumpkin pie lol.

UnholyGoalie
September 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
That one isn't the best the style has to offer. If you dig pumpkin you owe it to yourself to try some others. I think the Sam Adams pumpkin beer is usually well received. For pumpkin beers that tend towards the darker try Anderson Valley Fall Hornin', Dogfish Head Punkin', Uinta Punk'n. Some are better than others.

BeerMan
September 25th, 2013, 09:52 PM
just a heads up, the beer festival has returned to the Santa Anita racetrack this coming Saturday the 28th.

alas, such a bad timing as I and others will be in Vegas by then.

oh, and SA will host Oktoberfest for the first time on October 12. I plan on going.

BeerMan
October 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM
hey storm, the wench and I are going to be up in the RR area at the end of this month. it'll be a brewery trip/honeymoon for us.

you're near there or what?

DRGinLBC
October 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Anyone here heard of this festival?

Ultimate Beerfest - Orange County (http://www.ultimatebeerfest.com/eventinfo.cfm?id=3)

The website looks wack! I like festivals, but if I'm paying $50 to drink easy to obtain beers...

They don't even tell you how many tasters you get. Hmm.

Stormy2213
October 2nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
hey storm, the wench and I are going to be up in the RR area at the end of this month. it'll be a brewery trip/honeymoon for us.

you're near there or what?

I'm in SLO so quite a ways from RR area. I am on the way if you take 101 though! Firestone in Paso is a nice break from driving....... ;-)

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
ah, who is it that lives up north?

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
KRBC is holding a lottery for their Citra DIPA bottles.

a snippet from the newsletter:

Pumpkin, GABF and yes, Citra
For all you Citra fans out there, you have to wait. For all you Pumpkin fans, we will be releasing Pumpkin ale later this month. We are planning our annual "tap the pumpkin" party on Sunday, October 20th from 2-6 pm. We'll have pumpkin carving for the little kids, pumpkin beer for the big kids, pumpkin food and, well, a band with no pumpkins involved. Come on out and enjoy.

We will soon begin our annual pilgrimage to the Great American Beer festival in Denver. If you were lucky enough to get tickets, we will be pouring JO, Class V, Single Track, Dirty Hippie and Class X on the floor. We should be at the booth most of the time, so come on by and say hi.

OK, Citra is scheduled to be released on Friday, October 25th. We are doing things very differently this time. First, we will be holding a lottery for the Citra Bottles. To register for the lottery, go to the following link

KRBC Citra Lottery Extravaganza (http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/483950)

details of the lottery are as follows. You have from Friday, October 4th until Sunday, October 13th to register for the lottery event on Brown Paper Tickets. This is an internet only event, just register and cross your fingers.

From the list of people that register, we will have a random lottery draw to see who will qualify to buy bottles. If you win the lottery, you will be notified by e-mail, then you can go on Brown Paper Tickets to purchase your Citra Bottles (up to 6 bottles). Your e-mail will have all the details, but you must purchase between Sunday, October 20th and Thursday, October 24th.

You must pick up your bottles at the brewery between Friday, October 25th and Sunday, November 3rd.

Please note: only one entry per person into the lottery; you will have to provide a drivers license number and that number will have to match your lottery entry when you come in person to pick up your bottles. No exceptions. You may not have a friend come and pick your bottles up for you and we will not ship or hold bottles. Worse than that, you will not get refunded your money. So Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseee do not register for the lottery event if you will not be able to come to the brewery in person between October 25th and November 3rd.

This is a fairly simple system, so don't try to make it too complicated.

1. register on BPT for your chance to buy Citra (between Oct 4th and Oct 13th)
2. If you are selected, buy your bottles on BPT (between Oct 20th and Oct 24th)
3. Come pick up your bottles in person at KRBC (between Oct 25th and Nov 3rd)
4. Drink fresh and enjoy.

Citra will go on draft on Friday, October 25th and will be served draft only (no growlers) on a first come, first serve basis. It typically lasts about 2 to 3 days, but there are no guarantees on that. There is also an extensive list of rules and regulations on the BPT page, so go ahead and read those too before you contact us with any questions. And no, we won't let your buddy come pick your beer up for you. And no, we won't mail you your beer. And no, there won't be any Citra left over from people not showing up in Kernville since the rules are so clear that nobody would make that mistake after reading all this stuff.

That's all for now, and good luck in the lottery!

Cheers,

The Crew

Kern River Brewing Co.

BeerMan
October 3rd, 2013, 09:08 PM
oh, and SA will host Oktoberfest for the first time on October 12. I plan on going.

for $5 you can walk into the race track and enjoy a sunshine filled day with aunthentic German music blaring in the background!

but wait, for $45 extra you can also walk into an aunthentic German party filled revelers with whom you can join with 2 aunthentic German beers in an aunthentic Oktoberfest stein of your own while dancing the day away with German music blaring in the background! oh and you get an aunthentic German pretzel thrown in!

but wait!! for $50 more, you can do all of the above and get food from a local eatery plus you get to drink more than TWO! aunthentic German beers while dancing away the day with a pretzel in your aunthentic leiderhosen pocket along with other revelers rocking out to the aunthentic German music blaring in the background!!!!

BUT WAIT!!!! you can have all this to yourself for a special 50% discount made exclusively for you if you use the promotion code of, what else??!! GERMAN!!!

nahhh. it might rain that day.

UnholyGoalie
October 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM
FYI, FW Velvet Merkin and Avery Rumpkin are one shelves right now. Both are pricey, especially Rumpkin, but I would recommend picking up if you can swing it. Today has been very expensive for me. This Avery The Kaiser is helping to dull the sting.

BeerMan
October 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
well, my wench found a better deal for the Oktoberfest at Santa Anita. $38.50 per VIP package on the Gold Star website. this is becoming too complicated.

http://www.goldstar.com/events/arcadia-ca/oktoberfest-at-santa-anita-park

Fisch
October 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Allagash: Hugh Malone
Bruwerij Dilewyns: Vicaris Tripel-Geuze
Dogfish Head: Birra Etrusca
Ninkasi: Oktoberfest
Ninkasi: Tricerahops
Modern Times: Roraima
Stone: Enjoyby 10.25.13

Stormy2213
October 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Fant?me Saison D'Erez?e - Printemps - savored this Saturday afternoon in Morro Bay, overlooking the Bay in 80 degree weather. De-li-cious! I wish I had had the foresight to get some creamy, smelly cheese to go along with this. Wow. Earthy, a bit of smokiness, musty, nice dry tart finish. I'd gladly drink this again and again and again and again......

notbob
October 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Pop Chart Lab --> Design + Data = Delight --> The Magnificent Multitude of Beer (http://popchartlab.com/collections/prints/products/the-magnificent-multitude-of-beer)

mr. kuckoo
October 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM
KRBC is holding a lottery for their Citra DIPA bottles.

a snippet from the newsletter:

Pumpkin, GABF and yes, Citra
For all you Citra fans out there, you have to wait. For all you Pumpkin fans, we will be releasing Pumpkin ale later this month. We are planning our annual "tap the pumpkin" party on Sunday, October 20th from 2-6 pm. We'll have pumpkin carving for the little kids, pumpkin beer for the big kids, pumpkin food and, well, a band with no pumpkins involved. Come on out and enjoy.

We will soon begin our annual pilgrimage to the Great American Beer festival in Denver. If you were lucky enough to get tickets, we will be pouring JO, Class V, Single Track, Dirty Hippie and Class X on the floor. We should be at the booth most of the time, so come on by and say hi.

OK, Citra is scheduled to be released on Friday, October 25th. We are doing things very differently this time. First, we will be holding a lottery for the Citra Bottles. To register for the lottery, go to the following link

KRBC Citra Lottery Extravaganza (http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/483950)

details of the lottery are as follows. You have from Friday, October 4th until Sunday, October 13th to register for the lottery event on Brown Paper Tickets. This is an internet only event, just register and cross your fingers.

From the list of people that register, we will have a random lottery draw to see who will qualify to buy bottles. If you win the lottery, you will be notified by e-mail, then you can go on Brown Paper Tickets to purchase your Citra Bottles (up to 6 bottles). Your e-mail will have all the details, but you must purchase between Sunday, October 20th and Thursday, October 24th.

You must pick up your bottles at the brewery between Friday, October 25th and Sunday, November 3rd.

Please note: only one entry per person into the lottery; you will have to provide a drivers license number and that number will have to match your lottery entry when you come in person to pick up your bottles. No exceptions. You may not have a friend come and pick your bottles up for you and we will not ship or hold bottles. Worse than that, you will not get refunded your money. So Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseee do not register for the lottery event if you will not be able to come to the brewery in person between October 25th and November 3rd.

This is a fairly simple system, so don't try to make it too complicated.

1. register on BPT for your chance to buy Citra (between Oct 4th and Oct 13th)
2. If you are selected, buy your bottles on BPT (between Oct 20th and Oct 24th)
3. Come pick up your bottles in person at KRBC (between Oct 25th and Nov 3rd)
4. Drink fresh and enjoy.

Citra will go on draft on Friday, October 25th and will be served draft only (no growlers) on a first come, first serve basis. It typically lasts about 2 to 3 days, but there are no guarantees on that. There is also an extensive list of rules and regulations on the BPT page, so go ahead and read those too before you contact us with any questions. And no, we won't let your buddy come pick your beer up for you. And no, we won't mail you your beer. And no, there won't be any Citra left over from people not showing up in Kernville since the rules are so clear that nobody would make that mistake after reading all this stuff.

That's all for now, and good luck in the lottery!

Cheers,

The Crew

Kern River Brewing Co.

Shhhhhhhhh...........

I'm kidding...but hey, maybe we should collaborate. If I get to buy a few, I'm willing to share. Just sayin'

Enjoying my second JO right now

notbob
October 11th, 2013, 10:05 AM
http://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/images/2013/09/PSC1013_WN_046.jpg

The TapIt Cap screws onto a growler and prevents beer from going flat after the bottle is opened. To fill a glass, a user injects carbon dioxide from an attached canister and releases the spigot. A pressure-release valve keeps the growler from bursting.

The Goods: October 2013's Hottest Gadgets | Popular Science (http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/gallery/2013-09/goods-october-2013s-hottest-gadgets)

DMAN3474
October 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/images/2013/09/PSC1013_WN_046.jpg

The Goods: October 2013's Hottest Gadgets | Popular Science (http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/gallery/2013-09/goods-october-2013s-hottest-gadgets)

It will fit on my KRBC, El Segundo Brewing, and ladyface growlers but not my Stone :(

Fisch
October 13th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Anthem Cider/Wandering Aengus Ciderworks
Maui Brewing: Pau Hana (Czech Lager)
Ninkasi Brewing: Radiant Ale (am pale ale)
Port Brewing: Hot Rock (Euro Dark Lager)
Samuel Smith: Old Brewery Pale Ale (bottle)

Azagthoth
October 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Best pumpkin ale hands down. Much better than the BA Smashed Pumpkin (although the non BA version is stellar).

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server900/b0811/products/2013/images/2535/Jacked__00229.1347495722.1280.1280.JPG

Stormy2213
October 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Best pumpkin ale hands down. Much better than the BA Smashed Pumpkin (although the non BA version is stellar).

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server900/b0811/products/2013/images/2535/Jacked__00229.1347495722.1280.1280.JPG

That's what I think too, and I'm not a pumpkin ale guy much at all. Have already gone through 3 bottles this season - not a cheap beer to secure either.

UnholyGoalie
October 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Looking forward to see how it stacks up to Rumpkin. I've tried Smashed Pumpkin twice and didn't enjoy it at all. And this is coming from someone who's a pumpkin freak and rarely finds not one thing redeeming in a beer.

Azagthoth
October 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Picked up a Barrel Aged Velvet Merkin last night at Total Wine in Rancho Cucamonga. There are probably about 8-12 bottles left on a shelf towards the back.

DRGinLBC
October 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Opened a bottle of this last night with the wench. I'm not really sure what to think. Good if you like coconut (which I do). Would I buy it again? Probably not.

http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The-Bruery-Cacaonut.jpg

We also picked up a bottle of this to age a bit. Anyone had it? Thoughts?

http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-bruery-white-chocolate.png

Stormy2213
October 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Picked up a Barrel Aged Velvet Merkin last night at Total Wine in Rancho Cucamonga. There are probably about 8-12 bottles left on a shelf towards the back.

Snagged 2 bottles for the cellar the other day. Added it to the 16, Sucaba, Parabola, and 2012 Double DBA. One of these days I'll stop staring at them and start drinking them. That is the point, isn't it? :cheers:

Salty Dog
October 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
California breweries, led by Beachwood, dominate beer fest - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-california-breweries-beachwood-great-american-beer-festival-20131014,0,7935568.story)

Azagthoth
October 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Opened a bottle of this last night with the wench. I'm not really sure what to think. Good if you like coconut (which I do). Would I buy it again? Probably not.

http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The-Bruery-Cacaonut.jpg

We also picked up a bottle of this to age a bit. Anyone had it? Thoughts?

http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-bruery-white-chocolate.png

I too was let down with the Cacaonut. Not bad by any means, just seemed like it was lacking body even though its in the 15% range. Doesn't have the mouthfeel like other drinks in that range would have. The White Chocolate though..... GREAT beer!!

DRGinLBC
October 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I too was let down with the Cacaonut. Not bad by any means, just seemed like it was lacking body even though its in the 15% range. Doesn't have the mouthfeel like other drinks in that range would have. The White Chocolate though..... GREAT beer!!

This is good to hear. Thank you. We have another bottle of Cacaonut. Maybe I can offer it up in trade. :)

Azagthoth
October 18th, 2013, 02:15 PM
This is good to hear. Thank you. We have another bottle of Cacaonut. Maybe I can offer it up in trade. :)

So do I :) Wish I would have saved the money and got 3 more Black Tuesdays instead :(

BeerMan
October 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
well, I didn't win the Citra lottery, but my wench did. I hope she's gonna share some with me.

mr. kuckoo
October 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
well, I didn't win the Citra lottery, but my wench did. I hope she's gonna share some with me. I was just selected off the waitlist...cheers!!

sarf
October 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
If anybody wants to get their hands on some Heady Topper and is near West Covina, Stone Liquor is getting a big shipment of that stuff.

DMAN3474
October 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Going to KRBC later to pick up citra and some other goodies :keg::bananadance::cheers::sign_beer::dancingyx::d ancing-broccoli::drinks::turkey:

Stormy2213
October 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper on the shelves already. It's great stuff. And from what I hear only one case of the bourbon barrel aged SLH will hit the county so I'll be scouting for that, hoping to get my hands on at least one.

DRGinLBC
October 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM
F me.

Tonights menu...getting rid of the 2009's in the cellar.

2009 Founders Nemesis - Didn't like...at all
2009 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Potent but held up very well
2009 Green Flash Silva Stout - Excellent

Feeling buzzed now. It's my wife's 31st b-day...thought we'd do it right.

UnholyGoalie
October 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mmmm, Silva Stout. Had a couple pours of it at Tony's Darts Away on a random weekend a year or so ago. Very good stuff.

DMAN3474
October 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Went up to KRBC on Friday. The Citra was awesome but the bourbon stout was AMAZING, tasted like bourbon candy goodness.

UnholyGoalie
October 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, Class X is phenomenal. Maybe it was the time and setting of the one time I had it but I'd put it up in the top 3, and maybe even top 1 of bourbon barrel stouts I've ever had.

Stormy2213
October 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah, Class X is phenomenal. Maybe it was the time and setting of the one time I had it but I'd put it up in the top 3, and maybe even top 1 of bourbon barrel stouts I've ever had.

Agreed. In my top 3, that's for sure. Hard to choose between Class X and a Black Xantus or Velvet Merkin. Damn, if it weren't so early in the day AND me having to work I could go for something like this right now!

BeerMan
October 29th, 2013, 10:33 PM
so, that booze road trip that my wench and I took for our 1st anniversary was a blast.

Friday, on the way to Monte Rio (west of Santa Rosa) we pit-stopped at Firestone in Paso Robles where we ordered a set of Tap Room exclusive tasters: unfiltered DBA, Pivo Pils, Hefeweizen and IPA. all were great but I got a growler filled with the IPA which I have enjoyed since arriving home last night.

Saturday at noon we went to Russian River where the place was full of hipsters, so we took the patio table rather than wait 45 minutes to get seated inside. had the usual offerings of Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder. on RR's exclusive menu was Shadow of the Doubt Imperial Porter which was enjoyable. if there's a bottle of that around here, I'd grab it.

after RR, we stopped by Lagunitas where many people dressed in halloween costumes. I joked to my wife that I should have arrived as an hipster since Lagunitas lacked one. there we have cappuchino stout and imperial stout. holy **** were they both heavy, or seemed more so than what they had listed in %. it didn't help much that the tempurature in the tap room was uncomfortably warm and stuffy. above the table where we sat was a thermostat and it somehow was set at 86 degrees. the wife said that while I was at the bar ordering the drinks a staffer went up there to bring it down a notch. apparently the thermostat had a mind of its own as I saw the number increase to 87. needless to say it was a short visit even though a waitress brought us a complimentary treatment of cold water and pretzels. we tipped her nicely.

Sunday morning after my luckless flyfishing attempt on the Russian (it was cold and foggy, not ideal but I had to try), we set off for and hour drive to Anderson Valley Brewing Co. had the tasters of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout, Fal Hornin' Pumpkin Ale, Mendo Mello Estate Wet Hops Ale and Heelch o' Hops DIPA. I am now on the hunt for the bottles of the last two beers. I may never get tired of those!

and lastly, on our way back from AVBC, we made an unplanned stop at Stumptown Brewery in Guernville down the highway from the cottage where we stayed. we just happened to find the place as we drove past it every time. very nice looking with a silo out front so that was what caught our eye. had their Blimey The Wanker ESB and Rat Bastard PA. both were great for a small brewery. man, what a great place, even their outdoor deck overlooked the river. next time I go to the Russian, I'm camping out in their dining hall.

oh, and last but not least, KRBC could not be missed. besides, there was a 6er of Citras for the wench to claim. and their latest anniversary release, a coffee stout, was very tasty. too bad they couldn't fill the growlers with it, so I elected for the Class 5.

this is most likely the road trip that I will never want to take again. ever. so much driving around, so little beer tasting and fishing time.

Fisch
October 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
On Tap...

Allagash: Saison Rye, Saison/Farmhouse Ale
Ballast Point: Victory At Sea, American Porter 10abv (2011)
Big Sky Brewing: Moose Drool, American Brown Ale 5.3abv
Dogfish Head: Punkin Ale
Mike Hess Brewing: Solis Occassus, American IPA 7.5abv
Modern Times: Orderville, Wet Hop IPA
Port Brewing: Hop 15, American Double IPA
Port Brewing: Shark Attack, Double Red IPA

Azagthoth
October 31st, 2013, 06:39 AM
Sunday morning after my luckless flyfishing attempt on the Russian (it was cold and foggy, not ideal but I had to try), we set off for and hour drive to Anderson Valley Brewing Co. had the tasters of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout, Fal Hornin' Pumpkin Ale, Mendo Mello Estate Wet Hops Ale and Heelch o' Hops DIPA. I am now on the hunt for the bottles of the last two beers. I may never get tired of those!

Heelch O Hops is always in stock at Total Wine (the one here anyways). I've never picked up a 4 pack because there is no bottle on date. I guess it's a "hipster" thing now to rip on those who seek a bottled on date.....I've been burned far too often on IPAs that went to **** because I had no idea how old they were. IMO there's nothing wrong with a fresh IPA/DIPA with a strong caramel malt presence to balance the hops, but there is nothing worse than an oxidized/old IPA/DIPA that tastes like hot caramel even if served at 33 degrees.

Stormy2213
October 31st, 2013, 07:50 AM
Heelch O Hops is always in stock at Total Wine (the one here anyways). I've never picked up a 4 pack because there is no bottle on date. I guess it's a "hipster" thing now to rip on those who seek a bottled on date.....I've been burned far too often on IPAs that went to **** because I had no idea how old they were. IMO there's nothing wrong with a fresh IPA/DIPA with a strong caramel malt presence to balance the hops, but there is nothing worse than an oxidized/old IPA/DIPA that tastes like hot caramel even if served at 33 degrees.

Fully agree. If it doesn't have a date stamp somewhere, I'm not buying it. ESPECIALLY DIPA or IIPA. If a brewer is going to take the time and effort to make a DIPA/IIPA and expect to get paid a premium (and nearly all that are on the market do have a premium price), why they wouldn't make sure there is a date stamp somewhere is beyond me.

Azagthoth
October 31st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Fully agree. If it doesn't have a date stamp somewhere, I'm not buying it. ESPECIALLY DIPA or IIPA. If a brewer is going to take the time and effort to make a DIPA/IIPA and expect to get paid a premium (and nearly all that are on the market do have a premium price), why they wouldn't make sure there is a date stamp somewhere is beyond me.

Absolutely! I was at a local store a few weeks ago and the owner was recommending an IPA, so naturally I asked if there was a bottled on date - and a nearby beer-dick stocking up stuff turns and says "Oh, you're one of those bottled on guys". LOL.

UnholyGoalie
October 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Personally I think the fresh hop guys are a bit out to lunch, but that's my opinion. I've never looked for the bottled date and I doubt I ever will. I really don't care all that much about it and could probably count on one hand the number of beers I thought were "off" or not good. Just my thing, though. Your mileage may vary.

Just had Hangar 24 Gourdgous and Deschutes Black Butte XXV. Both were quite good. I just bought a bottle of Gourdgous and will have to pick up a bottle of XXV next time. I liked XXV more than XXIV which I thought was okay but not my cup of tea.

P. Diddy
October 31st, 2013, 09:59 PM

:0000000000000000000000

Stormy2213
November 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Is now on the shelves. One of my favorite beers of all time. Picked up a case yesterday and it won't last more than maybe 1 1/2 weeks here. Also picked up a couple of bottles of 6 Geese A Laying, a couple of 6 packs of Brown Sugga' and saw Rogue Santa's Private Reserve, Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome, and more Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper on the shelves. This is the time of year I'll go on a beer hunt daily just to grab all the good holiday brews. I love this time of year for beer!

UnholyGoalie
November 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I know, this is an expensive time for beer. Also looking forward to the new Anchor Merry Christmas ale which I hear will not be a spiced beer this time around. Also waiting for Sucks to come around, and I heard (though I could be wrong) that FW 17th anni is starting to hit shelves.

Tried my first Innis & Gunn beer yesterday. It was their Irish whiskey version and I'm partial to Irish whiskey. It was good but nothing crazy. Decent beer but not noteworthy enough for me to make a point of buying more.

Stormy2213
November 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I know, this is an expensive time for beer. Also looking forward to the new Anchor Merry Christmas ale which I hear will not be a spiced beer this time around. Also waiting for Sucks to come around, and I heard (though I could be wrong) that FW 17th anni is starting to hit shelves.

Yes, FW had the 17th Anniversary release party this weekend so you should start seeing it on shelves soon. And I haven't heard when Sucks is being released, but it should be soon as well. What have you heard about the Anchor MC Ale? I always love that there is that one spiced ale I can always rely on to surprise me and, usually, impress me. I hope they don't go the route of making an uber hoppy sort of heavy ale - there are enough of those. I want the crazy spice mix they always come up with.

DRGinLBC
November 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Headed to Firestone this weekend. First time. Woot!

DMAN3474
November 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Stout and oyster night at Tonys Darts away tonight in Burbank, mmmm

notbob
November 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Gonna check out Golden Road Brewery after meet the players tonight

DRGinLBC
November 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
My wife and I will be heading to the Firestone Tap Room for lunch this coming Saturday. Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring in Firestone bottles to open at the table? I have a bottle of 14th that I'd like to open for lunch.

I called but the girl who answered was clueless.

Thanks in advance.

BeerMan
November 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Headed to Firestone this weekend. First time. Woot!

bring back a growler of Tap Room IPA!

notbob
November 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Picked up a growler of GRB's new Better Weather IPA. At 9.5% i better share it with someone

DRGinLBC
November 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
My wife and I will be heading to the Firestone Tap Room for lunch this coming Saturday. Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring in Firestone bottles to open at the table? I have a bottle of 14th that I'd like to open for lunch.

I called but the girl who answered was clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Got an email back saying there would be a corkage fee. Lame considering I technically bought their beer. Anywho...

The Continental
November 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Notbob: Post a review when you can? I'm starting to see their cans in a lot of stores now. Personally, I don't care much for their flagship IPA but interested to know about their other offerings.

notbob
November 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Notbob: Post a review when you can? I'm starting to see their cans in a lot of stores now. Personally, I don't care much for their flagship IPA but interested to know about their other offerings.

They had more than a dozen different beers on tap. By Flagship do you mean the Point The Way IPA?

I'm not as knowledgeable about beers as most of you guys, but i thought the Better Weather IPA is quite different than the Point the Way. They packed quite a bit of flavor into BW IPA and its not just about the hops although they are definitely there in abundance. It clocks in at 9.5% alc

I also tried their Get Up Offa That Brown. It seemed fairly standard to me.

Overall they had a decent variety and i would like to go back and try some of the others.

UnholyGoalie
November 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I may have mentioned this before but they recently hired a new brewmaster and I expect they've reworked their recipes. Haven't been to the brewery in a while but I need to give it another shot and see if their brews have improved.

ETA: *burp*
http://i39.tinypic.com/beuerl.jpg

Stormy2213
November 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I may have mentioned this before but they recently hired a new brewmaster and I expect they've reworked their recipes. Haven't been to the brewery in a while but I need to give it another shot and see if their brews have improved.

ETA: *burp*
http://i39.tinypic.com/beuerl.jpg

Good ****, ain't it (I mean the Jacked....)? RE: GRB, well, I know somebody really well who knows beer about as well as I do and her experience is that their beers are good enough to drink, but nothing that anyone will ever rave about. In other words, about as good as the home-brew we can make ourselves.

BeerMan
November 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
RE: GRB, well, I know somebody really well who knows beer about as well as I do and her experience is that their beers are good enough to drink, but nothing that anyone will ever rave about. In other words, about as good as the home-brew we can make ourselves.

+1. I find that I enjoy going there for the casked beers more than for their usual offerings.

oh, and their pretzels rock the cashbah.

UnholyGoalie
November 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Oak Jacked was quite good. Reminded me a lot of Rumpkin.

I think GR's marketing far exceeds their quality. Not that their beer is bad by any means, but when you have so many great breweries in CA you either have to match up to them or get lost in the shuffle. GR gets lost in the shuffle, IMO. Heck, I much prefer Ladyface, a brewery with pretty much no marketing at all to GR.

Fisch
November 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Had some fun for San Diego Beer Week with the Alesmith's.

Alesmith Brewing: Decadence 2013, Dunkel Weizenbock 10abv
Alesmith Brewing: Double Dry-Hopped IPA 7.25abv
Alesmith Brewing: Evil Dead Red, American Amber Ale 6.66abv
Alesmith Brewing: Nautical Nut Brown, Northern English Brown 4.8abv
Alesmith Brewing: Single Origin Speedway Stout, Russian Imperial Stout 12abv
Alesmith Brewing: Winter Yulesmith, American Amber Ale 9.5abv
The Bruery: Tart of Darkness, American Wild Ale 5.6abv
Coronado Brewing: Idiot IPA, American Double IPA 8.5abv
Deschutes: Obsidian Stout, American Stout (Nitrogen) 6.4abv
The Lost Abbey: Gift of the Magi, Bi?re de Garde 9.5abv
The Lost Abbey: Lost and Found, Belgian Dubbel 8abv
Maui Brewing: Big Swell IPA, American IPA 6.3abv
Port Brewing: Hot Rocks Lager, Dark American Lager 6.5abv
Victory Brewing: Braumeister Pils, German Pilsner 5.5abv
Victory Brewing: Hop Devil, American IPA 6.7abv

DMAN3474
November 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mohawk Bend is doing the first annual IPA festival this weekend with 60+ IPAs on tap. The list includes:

Beer entries include:

Alesmith IPA – Death and Glory IPA – Almanac IPA – Hop Ottin’ IPA – Liberty – Angeleno IPA – Flying Ace IPA – Sculpin – Melrose IPA – Racer 5 – Islander – Drake’s IPA – Populist – Organic IPA – Grand Hill – Protector – Winter IPA – Hurricane Deck – Union Jack – Wolf Among Weeds – West Coast IPA – Wet Hop IPA – Just Outstanding – Hop Riot – Propulsion – Ladyface IPA – Hop Stoopid – Camel Corps – Indica IPA – Jamaica Sunset – Three Flowers – Mission IPA – Wet Hop Dreams 3 – Wet Hop Harvest IPA – Tongue Tickles – XXV Anniversary Session Ale – Delta Force – Mango IPA – Merry Taj IPA – Rubicon IPA – Pliny the Elder – Grape Ape IPA – Pupil – Big Daddy – St. Archer IPA – Stone IPA – Atticus IPA – Tap It IPA – Taps IPA – IPAX – Desperado India Pale Ale – Torpedo – Humulus Speciale

They will be doing a peoples choice award for best IPAs, every time you order a beer you will get a rating card and drop it off at a ballot box. They will also have other beer judges there.

Los Angeles IPA Festival (http://www.laipafestival.com/)

jerseydevil
November 22nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
I do not have an educated palate. Don't do microbrews/craft brews etc...I am a beer drinker.

That being said, I tend to like Newcastle. Not as a mainstay, but as something I go for when I want to enjoy...the darkness. Bitter, heavy, nutty...whatever you wanna call it. As a fan, I give their attempts to diversify a shot. The first one I tried...summer ale...was nice. Golden, drinkable...biggest con was that it had the heaviness to remind you of the name. I get it, but mixed feelings. Then Werewolf. Nice. Kinda red...kinda Killians. Cool name/design, but not enough for me to be a fan. They have gone Winter ale...and Founders ale...but I skipped both because I just felt that, so far, they hadn't really done any better than the mother of it all...the old Brown.

And then THIS

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/cabbie_zps7a81cfba.jpeg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/cabbie_zps7a81cfba.jpeg.html)

I was craving something dark. Fully planning on a 12er of Brown...and I spied this at Smart and Final. ok...this is clearly a shot at a Guiness type beer. AND I hate Guiness. TOOOOOOOOO bitter. Mud. This is a great DARK beer. Not too dank/heavy, and basically Brown without the nutty light flavors. Four of these went down nice and smooth. Like the Brown, the more room temp...the better. I gotta stock up on this un. It's lovely.

UnholyGoalie
November 23rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
...I am a beer drinker.

We're all beer drinkers here, JD.

jerseydevil
November 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
We're all beer drinkers here, JD.

Meant no disrespect...just come in here and feel inadequate because I drink stuff you can buy at the local Rite Aid.

UnholyGoalie
November 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
No offense taken. Some people take beer way too seriously. Sadly I used to be one of them before I wisened up. Or should I say, weizened up.

SirJW
November 23rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Nothing new but had this on tap a few weeks ago and really enjoy it. Not too bitter just sweet enough.Have had it in a bottle since, the tap is better.

http://www.ballastpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/beers-calico-primary-image1.png

UnholyGoalie
November 23rd, 2013, 10:18 PM
FW Velvet Merkin. Not as creamy and chewy as I was hoping for, then again if it was it would be called Parabola. Despite it's thinner body, the beer does the bourbon, vanilla, and brown sugar thing nicely.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ewcm1k.jpg

BeerMan
November 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM
need to find this year's Deschutes Abyss

mitchrock
November 24th, 2013, 05:24 PM
need to find this year's Deschutes Abyss

Check with Total Wine. The one by us had some in the back. Only 1 per customer.

sonnyboy11
November 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Here's my current line up for the Thanksgiving. Nothing spectacular but pretty excited about the BeerBera and the Kvasir.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/sonnyboy11_Speedy/IMG_0766_zpsfbcbc2dc.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/user/sonnyboy11_Speedy/media/IMG_0766_zpsfbcbc2dc.jpg.html)

BeerMan
November 25th, 2013, 07:19 PM
the HR at work got an Affligem gift pack of dubbel and belgian blond ale plus a globe glass. he called me over to his office via the PA so I could give him pointers on what to expect. he mainly drinks Budweiser so I hope that those beers will convert him. I suggested that he go visit Lucky Baldwin's, as they have that kind of beers on tap every day, just to get started.

annnnnd I expect him to share some of the Affligem with me soon!

UnholyGoalie
November 25th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Belgian beers, especially the lighter styles tend to be good intro beers for those not into craft beer. I'd tell him to drink the blonde first and if he digs it go for the dubbel.

JGON85
November 26th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Just had some New Belgium Accumulation White IPA and good god was it delicious! So smooth and flavor for days

This was at Dog Ha?s Biergarten in Pasadena, only $4 during social hour

Also got into Green Flash West Coast IPA lately, and glad they have them at the Tapha?s.. 7% ABV is enough to tide me over for 2 periods

notbob
November 27th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Went to Ladyface last night and tried just about everything. Blind Ambition was my favorite.

P. Diddy
December 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
I do not have an educated palate. Don't do microbrews/craft brews etc...I am a beer drinker.

That being said, I tend to like Newcastle. Not as a mainstay, but as something I go for when I want to enjoy...the darkness. Bitter, heavy, nutty...whatever you wanna call it. As a fan, I give their attempts to diversify a shot. The first one I tried...summer ale...was nice. Golden, drinkable...biggest con was that it had the heaviness to remind you of the name. I get it, but mixed feelings. Then Werewolf. Nice. Kinda red...kinda Killians. Cool name/design, but not enough for me to be a fan. They have gone Winter ale...and Founders ale...but I skipped both because I just felt that, so far, they hadn't really done any better than the mother of it all...the old Brown.

And then THIS

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/cabbie_zps7a81cfba.jpeg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/cabbie_zps7a81cfba.jpeg.html)

I was craving something dark. Fully planning on a 12er of Brown...and I spied this at Smart and Final. ok...this is clearly a shot at a Guiness type beer. AND I hate Guiness. TOOOOOOOOO bitter. Mud. This is a great DARK beer. Not too dank/heavy, and basically Brown without the nutty light flavors. Four of these went down nice and smooth. Like the Brown, the more room temp...the better. I gotta stock up on this un. It's lovely.

As a guy who just a few months ago was drinking natty ice and coors light, just find a beer you like and go from there. i started with bud light platinum, which lead me to stella, which lead me to blue moon, which lead me to hangar 24 orange wheat. if you are ever in the ontario area, check out the restaurant wing nuts. its like buffalo wild wings but good, and they have great beers on tap.

BeerMan
December 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hangar 24 is the bombdiggity!

WestCoastIPA
December 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Just had some New Belgium Accumulation White IPA and good god was it delicious! So smooth and flavor for days

This was at Dog Ha?s Biergarten in Pasadena, only $4 during social hour

Also got into Green Flash West Coast IPA lately, and glad they have them at the Tapha?s.. 7% ABV is enough to tide me over for 2 periods

Did someone say WestCoastIPA? :beerchug:

I do love the stuff!

Stormy2213
December 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm hearing Lagunitas Sucks is out now. Be on the look out and load up.

DRGinLBC
December 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'm hearing Lagunitas Sucks is out now. Be on the look out and load up.

It's currently on tap...so you may be onto something. :)

TAPROOM | Lagunitas Brewing Company (http://lagunitas.com/taproom/)

Stormy2213
December 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM
It's currently on tap...so you may be onto something. :)

TAPROOM | Lagunitas Brewing Company (http://lagunitas.com/taproom/)

Well there's that. And then there is this - my cousin (look closely) just posted this shot of a store he just filled...... :beerchug:https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1465273_10202485521009727_51390377_n.jpg

Dexter
December 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I got some Miles Davis Bitches Brew from Dogfish. Bitches love Miles Davis.

Salty Dog
December 6th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Well there's that. And then there is this - my cousin (look closely) just posted this shot of a store he just filled...... :beerchug:https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1465273_10202485521009727_51390377_n.jpg
I don't think I've had anything from Lagunitas that wasn't excellent.

DRGinLBC
December 6th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Was just at BevMo. There were stocking the shelves with BCBS 4 packs. There were about 30.

Torrance (Rolling Hills) location.

BeerMan
December 7th, 2013, 12:16 AM
BCBS? sorry, got liquored up for the night and
d can't think hard.

jammer06
December 7th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I just have to put forth that Pyramid had become my go too mass produced micro. I drank curve ball all summer and was looking forward to the return of their snowcap but I'll be damned if I haven't really enjoyed their fascinator. It's hard to make lots of beer taste the same and also taste good. I give them very high marks.

Stormy2213
December 7th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I don't think I've had anything from Lagunitas that wasn't excellent.

That would be correct! :fan:

daxx
December 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for doing a holiday themed beer tasting? I currently have the following beers:
Delirium Noel
Choufe N'oel
Anchor Steam Xmas
Sierra Nevada Celebration

There's going to be about 8 people at this, 7 of which have never tried beers like this. I'm going to be talking with them about the beers and the brewing process in general. In the past I've found quite a few more holiday selections, but this year has been a little slim. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Chris

mitchrock
December 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Daxx, Sam Adams Old Fezzwig is a good choice to add.

DougW8
December 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Trader Joe's had AleSmith's YuleSmith Holiday Winter Ale as of a couple of weeks ago. Check at Lonehill Liquor in Glendora too, as they usually have a good selection. Scaldis Noel wouldn't be a bad choice too.

UnholyGoalie
December 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
St. Bernardus christmas ale. I remember it being a great blend of a tripel and a quad. Also Deschutes Jubelale is a great malt forward easy drinker.

DRGinLBC
December 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
BCBS? sorry, got liquored up for the night and
d can't think hard.

http://mikesbrewreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/bourbon-county-stout.jpg

mitchrock
December 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
http://mikesbrewreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/bourbon-county-stout.jpg

Great stout with a knockout punch.

UnholyGoalie
December 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Oh, also The Bruery's Christmas release is on shelves, so that's an idea as well.

Stormy2213
December 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Drove up to Hayward today and got my keg of Lagunitas Sucks for the holidays. Can't wait to get that sucker chilled down. Yay me! :kong:

The Continental
December 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Deschutes makes a holiday brew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

daxx
December 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Think this enough for 8 people?
6 Geese-A-Laying - The Bruery
Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 11.50% ABV

Affligem No?l - Brouwerij Affligem
Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 9.00% ABV

Christmas Ale - Brouwerij St. Bernardus
Quadrupel (Quad) | 10.00% ABV

Delirium No?l - Brouwerij Huyghe
Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 10.00% ABV

Anchor Christmas Ale - Anchor Brewing Company
Winter Warmer | 5.50% ABV

Samuel Adams Winter Lager - Samuel Adams Beer Company
Bock | 5.60% ABV

Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue Ales
American Amber / Red Ale | 6.00% ABV

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
American IPA | 6.80% ABV

Sixth Day - Goose Island Beer Co.
American Brown Ale | 8.30% ABV

YuleSmith (Winter) - AleSmith Brewing Company
American Amber / Red Ale | 8.50% ABV

Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing
American IPA | 6.20% ABV

Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Milk / Sweet Stout | 9.00% ABV

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/daxx1313/0D04840D-5A97-4ED6-997B-A3B18CA4ACE9-10379-000003F88A7D7A39_zps6c497a81.jpg

UnholyGoalie
December 15th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I would say so. Half those beers are very high ABV%.

daxx
December 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I would say so. Half those beers are very high ABV%.

Tried the Yulesmith, 6 Geese and a Leffe Brown yesterday at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, and I now have a slight hangover.
Basically what I'm saying is that I'm ****ed. If I get a hangover from three beers (two of which are on my docket) I'm going to be a mess the day after.

Stormy2213
December 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Think this enough for 8 people?

Yes, that is plenty. Though I'd polish off that Celebration 6 pack by myself if I were there......:manybeers:

Stormy2213
December 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Found this on tap locally - cannot get enough of this stuff. This is the perfect holiday ale - hell I'd have it year round. Nice malty sweetness with loads of spices dancing around your palate. I got coriander, cardamom, toffee, banana, dried fruit, and a faint bit of citrus in the last glass I had. I've been back 3 times now b/c it measures in at 10% ABV so 2 tulip glasses and I'm done. I strongly recommend this one, particularly if you can find it on tap. I've yet to find it in bottle, but when I do I'll be stocking up. I imagine this one will lay down and continue to evolve for a few years. Ommegang — Brewer of Belgian-Style Beers in America | | Brewery Ommegang (http://www.ommegang.com/#!limited_release)

P. Diddy
December 23rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Re Introduced my self to La Fin Du Monde this weekend <3

daxx
December 24th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Re Introduced my self to La Fin Du Monde this weekend <3

I always get horrible heartburn when I drink that beer. I don't know what it is, but some of the bottle conditioned beers just absolutely kill me. This is one of them. I really love the beer, but i have three sips and I am down for the count. Anyone else have this problem?

UnholyGoalie
December 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
It could be the yeast or sugar content. Tripels tend to be very sweet.

UnholyGoalie
December 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I figured it's an appropriate time for this.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2r792cp.jpg

BeerMan
December 25th, 2013, 11:27 PM
me being down for the count with a food poisoning, I find myself jealous that you all are enjoying some holiday brews.

drink on and be merry!

UnholyGoalie
December 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear that, Beerman. Get better soon!

BeerMan
December 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
just came across a cease-and-desist letter from Golden Road brewery to a small startup brewery in Nebraska, Goldenrod. Goldenrod is Nebraska's state flower.

here are two logos side by side:
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/c97.36.447.447/s200x200/540126_431844600234217_190130751_n.jpghttp://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Goldenrod-Brewing-Nebraska-225x207.jpg

maybe the guys in Omaha should have done a bit more research. what say you?

me? while I have a problem with GRB's bullying tactics, I'd think that stumbling into a liquor store half-blurry-eyed-drunk looking for one or the other will get me the opposite of either.

DougW8
December 29th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Was up in Monterey last weekend and went to Post No Bills in Sand City. Definitiely a place to check out, with some really nice beers on tap, as well as a nice chilled bottle selection. I had the Bourbon County Barleywiine which was very nice for the style. I prefer stouts to barleywine, but at 12% it didn't disappoint. I also had a sample of the El Toro Ghost Chili Golden Ale. While it certainly had some heat, it was really quite drinkable and was a pleasant surprise.

daxx
December 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM
It could be the yeast or sugar content. Tripels tend to be very sweet.

I read up on it online and it turns out that I have an issue with yeasts in bottle conditioned beers. The solution is to make absolutely certain that the beer has settled upright and it is really friggin' cold when its poured. The first I can dig but the second I don't really understand why. Well, it worked! I had the beer tasting and did so without incident. All of the beer had settled and I enjoyed them thoroughly.
Also, I had a hunch that the beer we had wouldn't be enough, and I was right. A few more people showed up and I'm glad I added to my supply. I bought another Delirium Noel and another Affligem Noel.
I also added the following beers (links below)

Tetravis (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/91144)

Lucifer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1534/54445)

Old Guardian (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/78551)

Generally speaking, all of the beers went over really well. Most of the people had never tried a Belgian and a few were familiar with the beer styles other than yellow pi$$ stuff.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/daxx1313/BEER_zps30f75673.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/daxx1313/media/BEER_zps30f75673.jpg.html)

Because we only had one bottle of some of the beers I had to make a measuring device that was relative to the glasses (see the orange tinted liquid next to the Celebration bottle on the left) but someone kept drinking it thinking it was another beer. So to remedy this I had to make a god awful concoction of Tapatio and some old white wine. My hope was that the person would take a sniff and know it wasn't beer. Turns out I was right. Whoever it was stopped drinking my measuring device.
Good times had by all.

Stormy2213
December 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM
I read up on it online and it turns out that I have an issue with yeasts in bottle conditioned beers. The solution is to make absolutely certain that the beer has settled upright and it is really friggin' cold when its poured. The first I can dig but the second I don't really understand why. Well, it worked! I had the beer tasting and did so without incident. All of the beer had settled and I enjoyed them thoroughly.
Also, I had a hunch that the beer we had wouldn't be enough, and I was right. A few more people showed up and I'm glad I added to my supply. I bought another Delirium Noel and another Affligem Noel.

Generally speaking, all of the beers went over really well. Most of the people had never tried a Belgian and a few were familiar with the beer styles other than yellow pi$$ stuff.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/daxx1313/BEER_zps30f75673.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/daxx1313/media/BEER_zps30f75673.jpg.html)

Because we only had one bottle of some of the beers I had to make a measuring device that was relative to the glasses (see the orange tinted liquid next to the Celebration bottle on the left) but someone kept drinking it thinking it was another beer. So to remedy this I had to make a god awful concoction of Tapatio and some old white wine. My hope was that the person would take a sniff and know it wasn't beer. Turns out I was right. Whoever it was stopped drinking my measuring device.
Good times had by all.

Well done!!!

Stormy2213
December 31st, 2013, 10:05 AM

Good times had by all.

Well done!!!

UnholyGoalie
January 1st, 2014, 12:28 AM
Happy new years!
http://i39.tinypic.com/i3gady.jpg

BeerMan
January 5th, 2014, 01:09 AM
http://youtu.be/xClXKMhcFr0
I can smell it from here.

Bogey
January 5th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Sam Adams Imperial White.

Best beer I've ever tasted.

daxx
January 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Sam Adams Imperial White.

Best beer I've ever tasted.

I'll have to give it a shot. I'm a big fan of Sam beers.

BeerMan
January 13th, 2014, 01:26 PM
http://f.cl.ly/items/1A311a182s241y0l3A0O/PCL-MegaBrew%20(1).jpg
http://f.cl.ly/items/1A311a182s241y0l3A0O/PCL-MegaBrew%20(1).jpg

edit: the link should give you a larger version. if not, let me know.

Stormy2213
January 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
OK, I missed out Saturday because I was in Big Sur enjoying the Summer weather - so damn, Spike's, the original BEER PLACE TO GO TO IN SLO, apparently have owners who get beer (I haven't been there in 2 years because it sucked the last time I was there and I've been going since 86). They did a Stoutfest Saturday and had 48 different high ABV stouts on draft. I was lucky enough to head down this afternoon and partake of a few. I got KRBC Class V (because it's one of my favs all time), Drake's Drakonic Imperial Stout, and Mad River Bourbon Barrel Aged Steelhead Stout - all 3 high quality, would drink a ton more b/c it's so good beers.

I could have had more, but the keys in my pocket said not to..... Tomorrow we'll be back for more. They have most of the 48 stouts still available - and we're talking Alesmith Speedway Stout, Firestone Walker Parabola and Velvet Merkin (yes, the real ****, not the Merlin you get in 6 packs), Stone/Farking/Wheaton W00T, Lagunitas Highwest Barrel Aged Cap Stout (the ****ing BOMB), Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper (genius in a bottle), SN Narwhal, Old Rasputin Imp Stout, Deschutes 2012 Obsidian, Drake's Bourbon & Zin Drakonic, DFH Bitches Brew, Ommegang Game of Thrones, and Ballast Point Sea Monster Imp Stout - amongst them. We don't get to see many of these on draft around here.

So I've move on to Clown Shoes Imp Stout here at home. Damn good stuff as well.....

BTW, went to Big Sur for 2 days and enjoyed Summer-like weather here in the off season - probably heading back up next weekend - life sucks :-)! Stayed at Fernwood, as we usually do, and the bar there had Lagunitas Highwest Bourbon Cappuccino Stout on draft from the Lagunitas take over a few weeks ago. They were trying to blow the keg so they were selling it for $4/pint. Karaoke night has never been so much ****ing fun! If you ever head up that way, be sure to PM me. It's a 2 hour drive for us, but we LOVE going to Big Sur.

UnholyGoalie
January 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM
This stuff = pretty good.
http://i43.tinypic.com/zmli03.jpg

Been trying to make it out to Ladyface for their anniversary festivities. Missed out on their anniversary glass sale because I was camping. Was planning to go there for lunch today but a meeting got in the way. Yeesh. Kinda sucks not working down the street from them anymore.

notbob
January 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM
This stuff = pretty good.
http://i43.tinypic.com/zmli03.jpg

Been trying to make it out to Ladyface for their anniversary festivities. Missed out on their anniversary glass sale because I was camping. Was planning to go there for lunch today but a meeting got in the way. Yeesh. Kinda sucks not working down the street from them anymore.

I was just there a week ago

BeerMan
January 31st, 2014, 07:39 PM
Kern River Brewing Co is throwing another Citra DIPA lottery. get a ticket at KRBC Citra Lottery 2014 (http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/571900)

drawing ends Fen 9. Citra to be picked up Feb 21-March 2, if you get picked.

as you can recall last year, my wench was one of the lucky few so we got ourselves a nice surplus.

UnholyGoalie
February 1st, 2014, 10:00 PM
If you ever wanted to know what a barrel aged Coors Light would taste like, trade for one of these:
http://i62.tinypic.com/s5xzic.jpg

BeerMan
February 2nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
If you ever wanted to know what a barrel aged Coors Light would taste like, trade for one of these:

does it mean that we need to avoid it?

UnholyGoalie
February 2nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Yes. I received it as part of a beer secret santa on another board I post on. While it fails in nearly every respect, I did find it interesting to see what the barrel aging does to a beer without any real beer taste coming through. The mild flavors of bourbon, oak, and vanilla came through, and, well, that's about all that beer gives you. Next time I have a barrel aged imperial stout I think I'll be better able to separate the barrel notes from the imperial stout notes.

If however, there is someone out there that's a complete newb to craft beers and is intrigued with the idea of what bourbon barrel aging does, that beer is pretty much ideal in that circumstance. I don't know where it's distributed, though. The person who sent it to me is located in Indiana.

BeerMan
February 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Azogthoh would have been the perfect candidate, but we turned him too soon. ;)

Stormy2213
February 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM

Yes. I received it as part of a beer secret santa on another board I post on. While it fails in nearly every respect, I did find it interesting to see what the barrel aging does to a beer without any real beer taste coming through. The mild flavors of bourbon, oak, and vanilla came through, and, well, that's about all that beer gives you. Next time I have a barrel aged imperial stout I think I'll be better able to separate the barrel notes from the imperial stout notes.

If however, there is someone out there that's a complete newb to craft beers and is intrigued with the idea of what bourbon barrel aging does, that beer is pretty much ideal in that circumstance. I don't know where it's distributed, though. The person who sent it to me is located in Indiana.

Here is what I found > Where to buy Kentucky Ale (http://www.kentuckyale.com/distribution).

Doesn't get very good marks with BA for anything either.

mitchrock
February 3rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Picked up a 6er of Horn Dog Barley Wine by Flying Dog. LOVE IT. Sweet, powerful gives me potent farts. Happy Monkey.

Fisch
February 4th, 2014, 11:50 PM
the latest beers I've had, again most on tap... :)

Acoustic Ales: Wet Hop XPA (nitro tap) 6.4abv
Alesmith: Lil' Devil Belgian Pale Ale 5.95abv
Almanac Brewing: Golden Gate Gose 5abv
Drakes Brewing: Denogginizer American Double IPA 9.75abv
Figueroa Beer Co: Danish Red Lager Vienna Lager 5abv
Bear Republic: Cher Ami Belgian Pale Ale 4.7abv
Bear Republic: Double Aught Czech Pilsner 5abv
Bear Republic: Late Harvest Lager Oktoberfest 6.3abv
Bear Republic: Racer X American Imperial IPA 8.3abv
Big Island Brewhaus: White Mountain Coffee & Coconut Porter (bottle)
Brouwerij Bavik: Petrus Aged Pale Ale Flanders Oud Bruin 7.3abv
Cass Fresh (Korean, Bottle)
Firestone Walker: Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout 5.5abv
Green Flash: East Village Pils
Green Flash: Green Bullet American Double IPA 10.10abv
Koshihikari Echigo Beer (Japanese, Bottle)
Manzanita: Riverwalk Blonde
Maui Brewing: Coconut Porter 6abv
Modern Times: Southern Lands 100% Brett Yeast IPA 6.9abv
Mother Earth Brewing: Cali Creamin' Cream Ale 5.2abv
Noble: Pistol Whip'd Pils Czech Pilsner 4.2abv
Ommegang: Rare Vos Belgian Pale Ale 6.5abv
Port Brewing: Board Meeting Brown American Brown Ale 8.5abv
Port Brewing: Santa's Little Helper Russian Imperial Stout 10abv
Saint Archers: Experimental Pale Ale 5.2abv
Stone: Enjoy By 12/13/13 American Imperial IPA 9.4abv
Stone: Levitation Ale w/Green Tea Leaves American Amber Ale 4.4abv
Stone: Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-Smoked Saison 10.4abv (memorial beer for Matt, a Stone Brewer)
The Dudes Brewing: Double Trunk American Imperial Ale 10.8
Victory Brewing: Dirt Wolf American Double IPA 8.75abv

daxx
February 5th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Recently I've been consuming the Better Weather IPA from Golden Road here in LA, and it's pretty damn fantastic. I think it's 9.6% alch, but it sure as hell doesn't taste like it. It has lots of fragrant hops that give it almost a sweetness and finishes with the IPA flavors everyone knows and loves. The malt flavors are there but the're a bit masked by the hops.
very good beer!

notbob
February 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
the latest beers I've had, again most on tap... :)

Acoustic Ales: Wet Hop XPA (nitro tap) 6.4abv
Alesmith: Lil' Devil Belgian Pale Ale 5.95abv
Almanac Brewing: Golden Gate Gose 5abv
Drakes Brewing: Denogginizer American Double IPA 9.75abv
Figueroa Beer Co: Danish Red Lager Vienna Lager 5abv
Bear Republic: Cher Ami Belgian Pale Ale 4.7abv
Bear Republic: Double Aught Czech Pilsner 5abv
Bear Republic: Late Harvest Lager Oktoberfest 6.3abv
Bear Republic: Racer X American Imperial IPA 8.3abv
Big Island Brewhaus: White Mountain Coffee & Coconut Porter (bottle)
Brouwerij Bavik: Petrus Aged Pale Ale Flanders Oud Bruin 7.3abv
Cass Fresh (Korean, Bottle)
Firestone Walker: Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout 5.5abv
Green Flash: East Village Pils
Green Flash: Green Bullet American Double IPA 10.10abv
Koshihikari Echigo Beer (Japanese, Bottle)
Manzanita: Riverwalk Blonde
Maui Brewing: Coconut Porter 6abv
Modern Times: Southern Lands 100% Brett Yeast IPA 6.9abv
Mother Earth Brewing: Cali Creamin' Cream Ale 5.2abv
Noble: Pistol Whip'd Pils Czech Pilsner 4.2abv
Ommegang: Rare Vos Belgian Pale Ale 6.5abv
Port Brewing: Board Meeting Brown American Brown Ale 8.5abv
Port Brewing: Santa's Little Helper Russian Imperial Stout 10abv
Saint Archers: Experimental Pale Ale 5.2abv
Stone: Enjoy By 12/13/13 American Imperial IPA 9.4abv
Stone: Levitation Ale w/Green Tea Leaves American Amber Ale 4.4abv
Stone: Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-Smoked Saison 10.4abv (memorial beer for Matt, a Stone Brewer)
The Dudes Brewing: Double Trunk American Imperial Ale 10.8
Victory Brewing: Dirt Wolf American Double IPA 8.75abv

How did you like Figueroa's Danish Red Lager. I have been drinking that quite a bit lately

daxx
February 7th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I had a glass of White Rabbit Imperial White last night at the Eagle Rock Brewing Co tap room. It was pretty damn tasty and was a whopping 11%. I'll post a pic when I figure out my new phone.

jammer06
February 7th, 2014, 01:53 PM
For all you cookie holics out there

Beer Pairings for Girl Scout Cookies | Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine (http://www.beerandbrewing.com/beer-pairings-girl-scout-cookies/)

Suggestions from The Beer Chicks include these pairings:

Caramel DeLites (aka Samoas) with Maui Brewing Co.’s CoCoNut PorTeR
Tagalongs with Wells & Young’s Brewing Company’s Banana Bread Beer
Thin Mints with Kiuchi Brewery’s Hitachino Nest Beer Espresso Stout
Trefoils with North Coast Brewing Co.’s Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Central Track’s Melissa Mackaly suggests these pairings:

Samoas with Founders Brewing Co.’s Dirty Bastard
Thin Mints with Great Divide Brewing Co.’s Yeti Imperial Stout
Do-Si-Dos with Founders Brewing Co.’s Imperial Stout

Suggestions from the Brooklyn Brewshop include these pairings:

Thin Mints with Bootlegger’s Brewery’s Mint Chocolate Porter
Tagalongs with Brooklyn Brew Shop’s own Peanut Butter Porter
Dulce de Leches with Revolution Brewing’s Mad Cow Milk Stout
Lemonades with Brooklyn Brewery’s Sorachi Ace

And finally, Flying Dog Brewery includes the following pairings with its own beers:

Trefoils with Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout
Do-Si-Dos with Lucky SOB Irish Red Ale
Samoas with Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA
Tagalongs with Gonzo Imperial Porter
Thin Mints with Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout

jammer06
February 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM

It's pretty much the coors light of burbon ale's in kentucky. There's far better examples of the beerstyling there. Sorry you got that one.

Salty Dog
February 7th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Had one of these that I got for Xmas last night. Packs a punch at 10% but tasty.
http://craftbeersocial.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/slh1-jpeg-scaled1000.jpg

BeerMan
February 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Kern River Brewing Co is throwing another Citra DIPA lottery. get a ticket at KRBC Citra Lottery 2014 (http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/571900)

drawing ends Fen 9. Citra to be picked up Feb 21-March 2, if you get picked.

as you can recall last year, my wench was one of the lucky few so we got ourselves a nice surplus.

deadline to enter is tonight. get on it if you want to win a chance to bring home some Citras!

1300 have entered so far, but only 25% of them will be selected. the winners will be notified by Feb 12.

Ecoh72
February 10th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Long time reader first time poster in this thread.

Of course, hop bombs and IPA's are big on my list, but I really like coffee, chocolate and roasty dark brews too. Currently also brewing small batch(1 gallon due to space constraints and variety) home brews. I like sampling really odd or complex beers, like a lot of the Stone Quingenti Millilitre series, but the bottles are generally kinda hard to find.

Anyways, I'll update with what I really find tasty from my recent Let's Pour order or any other local trips. I live right down the street from Ladyface and The Lab yet haven't visited either yet (I know, I know, but at least I've had Wolf Creek's stuff). Anyways hello and cheers! :cheers:

DougW8
February 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Not a beer, but had a chance to sample some Ballast Point Vodka. Pretty good stuff, as they start to venture into small batch spirits.

The Continental
February 15th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Got the mrs a bomber of Hanger 24 Vinaceous for Valenersary day. I was skeptical if shed like it, the sample I had at the brewery was less than good. Suprisingly, cold and out of a bottle instead of on tap, it exceeded both our expectations and I would definitely buy this again.

DMAN3474
February 24th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Pliny the younger started getting released at a few places down here over the weekend. I know Tonys Darts Away in BUrbank is going to have it on tap tomorrow.

mitchrock
February 24th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Koko Brown by Kona Brewing has been a nice suprise. The toast coconut taste works well in the brown ale.

BeerMan
February 24th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Pliny the younger started getting released at a few places down here over the weekend. I know Tonys Darts Away in BUrbank is going to have it on tap tomorrow.

38 Degrees in Alhambra got invaded by hoards of PTY worshippers. some spent 6 hours in line.

I think Lucky Baldwins will get some on tap soon. hopefully no wait in line.

UnholyGoalie
February 24th, 2014, 07:43 PM
If I have to wait more than 20 minutes in line for a beer, well, I won't be drinking that beer.

daxx
February 25th, 2014, 08:32 AM
38 Degrees in Alhambra got invaded by hoards of PTY worshippers. some spent 6 hours in line.

I think Lucky Baldwins will get some on tap soon. hopefully no wait in line.

I think I need to investigate this

BeerMan
February 25th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I think I need to investigate this

this coming weekend, daxx. Saturday in old town and Sunday at the Trappiste. tickets go on sale at 1pm at each location on those days respectively. both open at 8am. you may find me at the Trappiste.

DougW8
February 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Eureka tapped it last night and sold it as part of a taster with Pliny the Elder and Damnation. Unfortunately, my beer drinking days are probably at an end due to some health issues. All I can say, is it has been a hell of a beer drinking ride, with well into the thousands of beers sampled over the years. I may still have a sample here and there,and I need to decide what I will do with my bottle of Black Tuesday. I need to at least taste it.

UnholyGoalie
February 26th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that, man. Hope it's not too serious.

DRGinLBC
March 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Anyone here home brew?

Stormy2213
March 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Eureka tapped it last night and sold it as part of a taster with Pliny the Elder and Damnation. Unfortunately, my beer drinking days are probably at an end due to some health issues. All I can say, is it has been a hell of a beer drinking ride, with well into the thousands of beers sampled over the years. I may still have a sample here and there,and I need to decide what I will do with my bottle of Black Tuesday. I need to at least taste it.

Hate to hear this. Best wishes towards your long term health.

Stormy2213
March 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Anyone here home brew?

It's been years, but I still have all my gear. Want to borrow it?

DRGinLBC
March 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Looking to buy an extra corny keg.

BeerMan
March 14th, 2014, 11:06 AM
my bro-in-law does. he just bottled the IPA using citra hops stuff. think he got the recipe off of Kyle from KRBC.

UnholyGoalie
March 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Yesterday Blue Palms was pouring Guinness through a randall of cherries and coffee beans. Without a doubt it was the tastiest beer I had yesterday.

BeerMan
March 18th, 2014, 07:21 PM
dannng that sounds good.

Ecoh72
March 20th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Anyone here home brew?

I do! My pops and I just bottled a pale ale and are moving out coffee stout to its secondary tomorrow (and we are adding some whiskey!).

We brew gallon batches currently but are destined to move up to a bigger system before the end of the year..

DRGinLBC
March 21st, 2014, 08:36 AM
my bro-in-law does. he just bottled the IPA using citra hops stuff. think he got the recipe off of Kyle from KRBC.

Wanna share?

BeerMan
March 21st, 2014, 05:27 PM
once I get a handful. the bastard can be sneaky. a few times he'd done the Joe Jost's pickled eggs, I have yet to obtain a single one.

then agin, as he knows of my love of beer, especially KRBC's, I expect him to realize that I will disown him if he pulls that crap on me.

UnholyGoalie
March 21st, 2014, 09:46 PM
A little beer porn:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2vrwjz9.jpg

DougW8
March 26th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Interesting listing of the LA County craft breweries. I happen to agree with #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) , very innovative, with a great selection for every taste. Even though I am not drinking beer these days, I thought I would still share. Link: (http://www.rantlifestyle.com/2014/03/26/top-10-los-angeles-craft-beer-breweries/)

The Continental
March 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I think talked about here before. . BJ's Tatonka Stout. Very mellown not too rich, a little malty but no bitter after taste. A buck cheaper than the Guinness if you're on a budget.

DMAN3474
March 27th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Interesting listing of the LA County craft breweries. I happen to agree with #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) , very innovative, with a great selection for every taste. Even though I am not drinking beer these days, I thought I would still share. Link: (http://www.rantlifestyle.com/2014/03/26/top-10-los-angeles-craft-beer-breweries/)

Havent had either of the top two but love El Segundo Brewing. Great beer. And they will have their citra on tap at dodger stadium this season, big win for them.

Stormy2213
March 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Looking for craft beer centric pubs/bars/food joints and/or liquor stores that have epic craft beer selection Van Nuys and environs. I've got 4 days of work down there next week and want to enjoy places close by b/c I won't be able to get too far away. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

notbob
March 29th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Looking for craft beer centric pubs/bars/food joints and/or liquor stores that have epic craft beer selection Van Nuys and environs. I've got 4 days of work down there next week and want to enjoy places close by b/c I won't be able to get too far away. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Try prohibition burger on ventura and white oak or Stout in studio city. Both have good burgers and a decent selection of beers

BeerMan
March 29th, 2014, 10:40 PM
try Vendome liqour store on Riverside/Cahuenga in Toluca Lake. may be a bit out of your way but they have a great selection of beer, wine, spirits and cigars.

UnholyGoalie
March 30th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Bars:
Tony's Darts Away in Burbank Tony's Darts Away | All Craft. All Draught. All California. (http://tonysda.com/)
District Pub in NoHo District Pub North Hollywood California (http://www.districtpubnoho.com/)
Blue Dog Tavern Sherman Oaks Blue Dog Beer Tavern | Sherman Oaks (http://www.bluedogbeertavern.com/)
Taps! (not the brewery of the same name) Taps Valley Gastropub - Porter Ranch - Northridge, CA | Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/taps-valley-gastropub-northridge)
Blue Palms in Hollywood (take the subway from NoHo) Blue Palms Brewhouse - 6124 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028 - 323-464-2337 (http://www.bluepalmsbrewhouse.com/)
Verdugo Bar Verdugo Bar (http://www.verdugobar.com/)
Glendale Tap The Glendale Tap - Glendale - Glendale, CA | Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-glendale-tap-glendale)
Timmy Nolans Timmy Nolans (http://timmynolans.net/)

Breweries:
Ladyface LADYFACE ALE COMPANIE - ALEHOUSE & BRASSERIE (http://www.ladyfaceale.com/)
Golden Road Golden Road Brewing (http://www.goldenroad.la/)

Shops:
Vendome in Toluca Lake
Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks
Total Wine in Northridge
Bevmos around the area
Green Jug in Canoga Park area

Most important, PM me when you're coming. You're in my area. We can meet up for lunch or after work.

BeerMan
March 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM
subway stop for Blue Palms is Hollywood and Vine. head up to the ground level and head east on Hollywood. BP is just across the street from Pep Boys.

DMAN3474
March 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM
Boneyard Bistro usually has some good stuff Welcome to the Boneyard Bistro! (http://www.boneyardbistro.com/) and the thick cut bacon appetizer is pretty damn good

I like going over to tonys in burbank, havent been to Taps yet

Ecoh72
April 1st, 2014, 06:09 PM
I just stopped by the Stone Company Store in Pasadena today and picked up a growler of Tiger Cub Saison aged in white wine barrels. It's quite tasty, and only available on tap to my knowledge. The new Stochasticy Project beer was on tap too but it was a barrel aged belgian beer, a little too odd for me.

I also finally got a chance to try their Go To IPA, and honestly, I'm enjoying the session IPA movement. Pizza Port has a great one too, Ponto SIPA. I know some people are looking for the high ABV but it's refreshing to have something tasty and under 5% from time to time.

BeerMan
April 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM
http://youtu.be/pxj2GpSzIC0

why do I keep expecting this guy's voice to hit a high note?

mitchrock
April 3rd, 2014, 09:46 AM
http://youtu.be/pxj2GpSzIC0

why do I keep expecting this guy's voice to hit a high note?

Stone just did a collaboration with helium. Guess they all want to copy each others ideas again.

Been drinking Kona's Big Wave Golden Ale lately and love it. Like it even better than the Longboard Lager that it came in the case with.

P. Diddy
April 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Saint archer blonde is heaven

BeerMan
April 5th, 2014, 02:02 PM
8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately - Banoosh (http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/04/03/8-beers-stop-drinking-immediately/)

all the more reason to avoid the lite beers, but too bad about Guinness. I didn't think Ireland used HFCS at all.

UnholyGoalie
April 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
The use of isinglass as mentioned for Guinness might give a yuck factor to those who don't know what it is but I don't think there are any health implications related to it. If someone knows anything different let us know. To my knowledge isinglass is used as a filtration agent.

BeerMan
April 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM
you can't have an ICB without Guinness!

Stormy2213
April 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM
8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately - Banoosh (http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/04/03/8-beers-stop-drinking-immediately/)

all the more reason to avoid the lite beers, but too bad about Guinness. I didn't think Ireland used HFCS at all.

Meh. Irish moss aka carrageenan (seaweed) and isinglass (a form of collagen derived from fish bladders) have been used to clarify beer for centuries. Articles like this drive me nuts. They might as well have mentioned chemtrails and fallacies about vaccinations and autism. Of course the beers highlighted should not be drunk - but not for the reasons listed. They all taste terrible (if they have any taste at all) - shouldn't that be reason enough? :baby:

mitchrock
April 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Meh. Irish moss aka carrageenan (seaweed) and isinglass (a form of collagen derived from fish bladders) have been used to clarify beer for centuries. Articles like this drive me nuts. They might as well have mentioned chemtrails and fallacies about vaccinations and autism. Of course the beers highlighted should not be drunk - but not for the reasons listed. They all taste terrible (if they have any taste at all) - shouldn't that be reason enough? :baby:

If Stormy says I can still drink Guiness, then I'm okay.

On another note. Picked up a case of this year's Samuel Adams IPA-Hopology. Was sad to see they did not bring back the Baltic IPA. Replaced it with a Rye IPA. I am going to start with Third Voyage which is a double IPA.

mitchrock
April 7th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Has anyone here tried Firestone 805? They had cases of them at Costco, but was leery of purchasing without input from others. Firestone is very hit and miss.

Stormy2213
April 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Has anyone here tried Firestone 805? They had cases of them at Costco, but was leery of purchasing without input from others. Firestone is very hit and miss.

I'm a huge fan of Firestone, but 805 is their weakest beer so it's shaming the area code IMO. It's being pushed to try and capture the Blue Moon/Shock Top drinkers who want to venture into "craft beer". It's a blonde ale, low alcohol so also aimed at the emerging "session" beer market, i.e. you can drink a a lot more of these instead of just 2-3 Double Jacks. Where have you had a "miss" from Firestone? I think all their beers are fantastic - except for 805. But that's really b/c I don't care for low gravity blonde ales.

mitchrock
April 7th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of Firestone, but 805 is their weakest beer so it's shaming the area code IMO. It's being pushed to try and capture the Blue Moon/Shock Top drinkers who want to venture into "craft beer". It's a blonde ale, low alcohol so also aimed at the emerging "session" beer market, i.e. you can drink a a lot more of these instead of just 2-3 Double Jacks. Where have you had a "miss" from Firestone? I think all their beers are fantastic - except for 805. But that's really b/c I don't care for low gravity blonde ales.

DBA to me is way overrated. An average beer at best. Union Jack IPA isn't consistent. Same thing goes for Wookey Jack.

I'm glad I put the case of the 805 back. Don't mind a good Blonde Ale, but they are hard to find.

notbob
April 7th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I just had an 805 at the Kings game and they lost...enough said

Stormy2213
April 8th, 2014, 09:58 AM
DBA to me is way overrated. An average beer at best. Union Jack IPA isn't consistent. Same thing goes for Wookey Jack.

I'm glad I put the case of the 805 back. Don't mind a good Blonde Ale, but they are hard to find.

Well, with IPA's like Union Jack and Wookey (black rye IPA), if it's not fresh or at least fairly fresh, it's not going to taste like it is meant to taste. And I'm not sure DBA is overrated - it's one of those "it is what it is" beers and stands up well stylistically. But yea, there are other beer styles I'm more attuned to.

Not sure if you can get it, but if you can find Prairie Funky Galaxy - give it a try. It's advertised as a black farmhouse ale. It comes across as a cross between Lagunitas Sucks, fresh Wookey Jack, and maybe a hint of saison. It's just flipping weird, but in an amazing way. I love the stuff.

Stormy2213
April 8th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I just had an 805 at the Kings game and they lost...enough said

Exactly!

taz42
April 8th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I didn't sit down and read all of the recommendations here, as not a fine Beer judge but, for those guzzlers who'd like a change of pace once-in-awhile, This product is put out by Beer Co., but is called Cayman Jack Margarita. No mixes necessary, tastes exactly like one and you do line a glass with the salt if you prefer it that way. $9.99 for a 6-pack of the small clear glass bottles. It's real handy. 5.9% alcohol. Give it a try sometime. New item on the market.

UnholyGoalie
April 9th, 2014, 06:59 PM
My change of pace is a few fingers of Jamesons. Maybe some wine.

BeerMan
April 9th, 2014, 07:16 PM
cranberry-7up with vodka

Salty Dog
April 16th, 2014, 07:53 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-W5ELLbsRnO4/U02_QdEygqI/AAAAAAAAC2s/bpTgneQ-4_o/w774-h503-no/Screen+shot+2014-04-15+at+4.19.18+PM.png

notbob
April 16th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Quite the jump for Lagunitas. I know i contributed some.

Stormy2213
April 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM

Here is the counter to the terrible post that started this.....Sorry, that article got my dander up. I couldn't let it go! What's In YOUR Beer? Or, The Dangers of Dumbassery (http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/2013/08/18/whats-in-your-beer-or-the-dangers-of-dumbassery)

Stormy2213
April 16th, 2014, 09:08 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-W5ELLbsRnO4/U02_QdEygqI/AAAAAAAAC2s/bpTgneQ-4_o/w774-h503-no/Screen+shot+2014-04-15+at+4.19.18+PM.png

Redhook, Widmer, and Kona are a whole lot of meh. They are all part of the Craft Brew Alliance - majority owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. They have no business being on this list.

Salty Dog
April 16th, 2014, 09:22 AM
So did I. Still surprised to see them so far ahead of Stone. Or I guess, surprised that Stone wasn't higher I should say.

Salty Dog
April 16th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Here is the counter to the terrible post that started this.....Sorry, that article got my dander up. I couldn't let it go! What's In YOUR Beer? Or, The Dangers of Dumbassery (http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/2013/08/18/whats-in-your-beer-or-the-dangers-of-dumbassery)
That was a thing of beauty.

Stormy2213
April 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM

So did I. Still surprised to see them so far ahead of Stone. Or I guess, surprised that Stone wasn't higher I should say.

And these numbers are from before Lagunitas opened their Chicago facility. They have quite a ways to catch Shiner still, but it could happen!

Azagthoth
April 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM

No way Stone is that far down on the list - Greg Koch must have really good accountants, haha.

DRGinLBC
April 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM

Salty. Do you have a source for this?

Salty Dog
April 17th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Salty. Do you have a source for this?

Here you go - The State of American Beer - John Tierney - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/04/the-state-of-american-beer/360583/)

Stormy2213
April 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Off topic somewhat - if anybody else here is using Untappd, shoot me your user name via PM. I'll "friend" you or whatever it is on Untappd.

mitchrock
April 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Redhook, Widmer, and Kona are a whole lot of meh. They are all part of the Craft Brew Alliance - majority owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. They have no business being on this list.

So is Shiner.

JGON85
May 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
For you South Bay'ers, there's a LA Beer showcase going on tomorrow at the Eureka Tasting Kitchen in Hawthorne, ton of the local breweries are coming out (Smog City, Dudes, GRB and more). It's a good time to be a beer drinker in the South Bay :cheers:

American Craft Beer Week 2014: Your Guide to L.A. Events | Page 2 | Squid Ink | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly (http://www.laweekly.com/squidink/2014/05/12/american-craft-beer-week-2014-your-guide-to-la-events?page=2)

Stormy2213
May 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM
We've been very lucky this week. SLO trying to get on the "beer week" map and doing a f'ing great job of it. Won't rival SD Beer Week or SF Beer Week, but not too shabby for our little slice of paradise. I've made all events except for the Creekside event last night - that was b/c I was at the Grains to Glass event! IPA Fest and Stone tap take over have been awesome. The Sour Fest and SN tap take over I'm REALLY looking forward to. Here is the sour list for Saturday:

Anderson Valley Horse Tongue
Ballast Point Sour Wench
Bear Republic Tartare
Bear Republic Tartare Rouge
The Bruery Oude Tart
The Bruery Tart of Darkness
The Bruery Rueuze
Cismontane Marea Roja
Drake's Brette Davis Eyes
Firestone Walker Lil Opal 2013
Heretic Miscreant
Libertine Pub OhMan!
Libertine Brett Rouge Hibiscus
Libertine Chocolate Tarte
Lost Abbey Red Poppy
New Belgium La Folie
New Belgium Le Terroir
Stone Brewing Tiger Cub Saison w/Cherries

Check it out.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1175301_864335533581581_4075388511170208033_n.jpg

JGON85
May 16th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Err my gawwwwd! Over 84 breweries for SD have been confirmed :yahoo:

www.beercamp.sierranevada.com/festival/southwest_edition

http://s24.postimg.org/dwd0tq7ol/untitled.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

BeerMan
May 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Rogue founder and Oregon brewing pioneer Jack Joyce dead at 71 | OregonLive.com (http://www.oregonlive.com/beer/index.ssf/2014/05/rogue_founder_and_oregon_brewi.html)

:(

Leatherface
June 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
Saw a couple of lists of top craft breweries bandied about. I personally usually refer to the BA list;
Top 50 breweries of 2013 announced by Brewers Association | BeerPulse (http://beerpulse.com/2014/03/brewers-association-announces-top-50-breweries-of-2013-by-production-volume-2781/)

It removes all of the conglomerate/alliance breweries, along with Goose Island, to try and paint a true picture of top ranking.
Nothing here is really too surprising. If you ever get to see overlay maps of who really distributes where, and you realize that Lagunitas is available in gas stations in, say, Wyoming, its not a shock to see them so high.

Every year when this list comes up, I always chuckle to myself about New Glarus position. New Glarus is made and distributed only in the state of Wisconsin, yet it's a perennial top-20 brewery. Why? Its sold at ****ing Wal-mart on end caps all over Wisco, and they make incredible beer. I have a friend that is an uppity-up at Miller Coors and they regularly send me boxes of New Glarus, and guess what they're drinking at home...

In any event, if you're in or around Orange County, Bottle Logic is sort of the hot **** going right now, and with good reason. They mostly do straight ahead, no frills styles (IPA, DIPA, Saison, Wit, mole Stout) and a few special offerings with randalls and casks, but they just do everything exceptionally well, and their whole motif is appealing.

Also whoever said they're unimpressed with FSW stuff, wow. I don't think I've ever heard that. Matt Bryndlson is sorta the Dean Lombardi of beer, or something. He really can't do anything wrong.

Other favorite breweries right now are Almanac (Nor Cal, mostly sours and other barrel aged ales), Prarie (whom everyone loves) and I don't want to like them because of their bro-ish vibe, but much like Bottle Logic, Saint Archer is very good at making straight ahead, uncomplicated, traditional craft beer styles and doing it really, really, really well.

Also, here's my kegerator which presently has 5 gallons (well 3.5 now) of cantaloupe infused APA (1lb added during second ferm), triple dry hopped with cascade, chinook, and mosaic, and I am quite pleased with it.

Instagram (http://instagram.com/p/osGD6Jg1rT/)

BeerMan
June 2nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
Lagunitas has their own distribution system, which might explain why. they seem to have a better understanding of the beer map than does, say.. Stone.

Leatherface
June 2nd, 2014, 10:41 PM
Lagunitas has their own distribution system, which might explain why. they seem to have a better understanding of the beer map than does, say.. Stone.

Stone's business model these days seems to be more about distributing other folks beer. Green Flash and Ballast Point are falling into that mold as well. Easy money when you already have a developed infrastructure I guess. Hey, if Green Flash is going to help produce and distribute Alpine, and the quality doesnt drop off, I'm all for it. Likewise with Kern River and....I think Ballast? Maybe stone. Not sure.

daxx
June 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Kinda weird that this thread is almost 8 years old.

Leatherface
June 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
Kinda weird that this thread is almost 8 years old.

You're kinda weird. Hi Daxx.

mitchrock
June 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
No way Stone is that far down on the list - Greg Koch must have really good accountants, haha.

Stone is big on teh west coast not so much elsewhere. Lagunitas just opened up in Chicago not long ago after greatly expanding in Petaluma. Shiner (crap Beer) goes to all the necks in Texas.

daxx
June 4th, 2014, 12:53 PM
You're kinda weird. Hi Daxx.

You've known this for some time. Hi LT.

jerseydevil
June 6th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Nerd Beers for Pop-Culture Beer Geeks - Bon App?tit (http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/nerd-beers#.U5JEOHaj9gB.twitter)

BeerMan
June 6th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I neglected to report that KRBC had released their Citra stock last week. unfortunately, it is available only by pints. they have enough to hopefully last a month.

tomorrow I go on a road trip with the wench, my sis and her Citra crazy husband. will report back.

jerseydevil
June 7th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Booze Geek - Hopzilla, Dogzilla, Mecha Hopzilla: Giant Beer All-Out Attack - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/06/booze-geek-hopzilla-dogzilla-mecha-hopzilla-giant-beer-all-out-attack/)

Yeah, I know it's fairly 'typical' that I come in here and post Geek Beer stuff. What can I say? I likes what I likes.

BeerMan
June 7th, 2014, 04:14 PM
so yeah, hey, now I'm back home from KRBC and the trip was a success. in a sense, that is. while we sampled pints of Citra DIPA, we also tried their newest release, 8th anniversary (it's their 8th this week!) called Shuttle Bunny IPA. a whitish DIPA. not bad but I'd rather have a Dirty Hippie Red, their 6th anni. release which is not available, sadly.

oh, btw, they are nearly out of Citra as they're down to one keg. good luck if you decide to make a dash for it tonight or tomorrow.

brought home a bottle of JO and Class V as well as a growler of JO. the bottle is for a co-worker, you see.

in other news, good news, that is. the rumors of an expansion is now true. HUZZAH! more Citras in the near future! less parking in the back, however, which will be a bummer because on a busy day, parking will be hard to find. duh?

that is all. carry on. and cheers!

Leatherface
June 10th, 2014, 01:51 PM
so yeah, hey, now I'm back home from KRBC and the trip was a success. in a sense, that is. while we sampled pints of Citra DIPA, we also tried their newest release, 8th anniversary (it's their 8th this week!) called Shuttle Bunny IPA. a whitish DIPA. not bad but I'd rather have a Dirty Hippie Red, their 6th anni. release which is not available, sadly.

oh, btw, they are nearly out of Citra as they're down to one keg. good luck if you decide to make a dash for it tonight or tomorrow.

brought home a bottle of JO and Class V as well as a growler of JO. the bottle is for a co-worker, you see.

in other news, good news, that is. the rumors of an expansion is now true. HUZZAH! more Citras in the near future! less parking in the back, however, which will be a bummer because on a busy day, parking will be hard to find. duh?

that is all. carry on. and cheers!

Kernville is so small, you can really park anywhere and walk over. Just down that little road. Can always park across the street at the grocery store/bait+tackle place.
Citra is one of the best beers I've ever had, for sure. Was fortunate to win both lotteries for bottles this year. Took the opportunity on the first win to go up and get the bottles, passed on the second. It's definitely a hike to get there, even for six bottles of a DIPA that truly shames all others in flavor. Still it's fun, the drive from Bakersfield to Kernville is actually very pretty.

Love the brewpub though. Great food, good, relaxed vibe. Last time up made it a family road trip and took my kids, they had a blast at the little playground by the river, but beware of some of the mountain'folk that slink around there...

Also, kudos for getting citra on tap! Did they mention changing their distribution to Stone as well as the expansion? That's what I'd heard but not sure it's true. I know Alpine was picked up by Ballast Point around the same time I'd heard that...either way, Kyle is a genius, up there with Bryndlson et al.

BeerMan
June 10th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I did hear about their distribution agreement with Stone. since that time, I no longer see any KRBC stuff at my favorite liquor store. conspiracy, anyone?

UnholyGoalie
June 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM
In my experience finding JO seems to have gotten slightly easier over the past 6 mos. Like Pliny, the local shops seem to get an allotment say every month or so. Still not an easy beer to find by any means, but slightly easier. Still haven't seen an Class V and have never actually seen Dirty Hippie ever (don't know if they bottle it). I'm hoping with their expansion it'll be easier to get JO and we might see a return of Class V to the L.A. area.

DMAN3474
June 11th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I found JO at bevmo on the shelf not cold a couple weeks ago, grabbed a couple bottles. Was fine but when it stays cold like it is supposed to be (even says so to keep cold on the bottle) its 100x better

Leatherface
June 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
JO has been circulating the last week or so, down here in Orange County, Hacienda Beverage had it, I know for sure. I think Class V as well.
As for Pliny, thats a whole other deal these days. Provisions in the Orange Circle has had some 5/21/14 bottles this week. Most places I know of get it on Thursdays but it sells out fairly quickly. Gone are the days when I used to walk over to provisions (when it was owned by The Bruery) and pick up 3 or 4 randomly on a Saturday. Now its one-bottle limit everywhere and you basically can't have a 9-5 job and be assured of getting it.

BeerMan
June 11th, 2014, 10:01 PM
In my experience finding JO seems to have gotten slightly easier over the past 6 mos. Like Pliny, the local shops seem to get an allotment say every month or so. Still not an easy beer to find by any means, but slightly easier. Still haven't seen an Class V and have never actually seen Dirty Hippie ever (don't know if they bottle it). I'm hoping with their expansion it'll be easier to get JO and we might see a return of Class V to the L.A. area.

I don't remember DIrty Hippie ever getting bottled, but I have seen the previous anni releases in bottles prior to the 6th. I was able to bring the DH home in a growler, though.

if the JO has been making its rounds lately, then I ought to keep an eye out for it. problem is we've been cutting back on buying beers like there is no tomorrow. heh.

Leatherface
June 11th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I don't remember DIrty Hippie ever getting bottled, but I have seen the previous anni releases in bottles prior to the 6th. I was able to bring the DH home in a growler, though.

if the JO has been making its rounds lately, then I ought to keep an eye out for it. problem is we've been cutting back on buying beers like there is no tomorrow. heh.

Same, my cellar is getting out of control ( a literal cellar, I have a basement!)

I don't think Dirty Hippie has ever been bottled, nor has Sequoia Red, which is really too bad because that beer is remarkable.

Cheezer517
June 11th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Total Wine in Redondo Beach had JO a few days ago. It's probably gone now though. I've never seen Class V outside of the brewery. Dirty Hippie has been bottled before but also only available at the brewery.

BeerMan
June 12th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I have seen all 4 bottles as well as a Winter edition at that store in the past. these days now, zilch. :/

Cheezer517
June 12th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I have seen all 4 bottles as well as a Winter edition at that store in the past. these days now, zilch. :/

Winter Ale is fantastic.

By the way, any Alpine fans... The brewery has Bad Boy on tap right now. No growler fills though.

UnholyGoalie
June 13th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I scored 1 bottle of the KRBC winter ale a year and a half ago. It blew me away. I honestly thought it was one of, if not the best DIPA's I've ever had.

Cheezer517
June 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Probably been mentioned already, but as far as local brews go, Hop Tanker is in my top 5. I love ESBC.

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10375877_1457751324468417_411896581_n.jpg

UnholyGoalie
June 13th, 2014, 10:52 PM
I need to try that one. I had Blue House IPA and it was solid.

Celebrating with this one right now:
http://i59.tinypic.com/qxnkgh.jpg

Cheezer517
June 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Definitely try it if you're into citrusy, dank IPAs. There isn't a fresh batch out right now, unfortunately.

That Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stout is great. Really liked the barleywine version (Jack & Ken's Ale) too.

Was enjoying this amazing, mouth puckeringly sour lambic yesterday. I'm so glad to have found a great trading partner in Indiana who sends me some awesome Upland Brewing stuff.
http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10454051_244807019060229_1006902307_n.jpg

Leatherface
June 17th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Definitely try it if you're into citrusy, dank IPAs. There isn't a fresh batch out right now, unfortunately.

That Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stout is great. Really liked the barleywine version (Jack & Ken's Ale) too.

Was enjoying this amazing, mouth puckeringly sour lambic yesterday. I'm so glad to have found a great trading partner in Indiana who sends me some awesome Upland Brewing stuff.

Upland is amazing. Well done on the trading.

P. Diddy
June 18th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Anyone have a hookup with lost coast? I love their watermelon wheat they had at slater 50/50... Will trade a growler or 2 for a growler or 2 of any San Diego beer of your choice!

daxx
June 18th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I need to try that one. I had Blue House IPA and it was solid.

Celebrating with this one right now:
http://i59.tinypic.com/qxnkgh.jpg

I have a bottle of this at home in my fridge

daxx
June 18th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I wonder if Bud Light will do the beer promo again