PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Azagthoth
June 26th, 2008, 06:37 AM
So I made it down to the City of Orange yesterday afternoon once I got out of work. Hollingshead has Russian River's Pliny the Younger/Elder and the Blind Pig IPA on draft. I went with Pliny the Younger and immediately knew without hesitation that its the greatest double IPA on the face of this planet. It is a completely unreal brew and I can't really say much about it other than go try it while they still have it.

I brought home with me the following:

(2) Sierra Nevada - Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ales
Greenflash - Nut Brown Ale
Lagunitas - Hairy Eyeball
Jolly Pumpkin - Calabaza Blanca
Mad River - Scotch Porter
New Belgium - 2 Below Winter Ale
Weltenburger - Anno 1050
Weltenburger - Hefe Weissbier Dunkel

BeerMan
June 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Az, you forgot the 31.

BeerMan
June 26th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, he throws some pretty epic tastings. What's really cool is that when I go over there, I can try anything in his whole collection that I want. I've had some really really rare stuff.

Stone's '02 Vertical?

Azagthoth
June 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Az, you forgot the 31.

You know, I am pretty sure now that the traditional Firestone Pale Ale has now become the "Pale 31 California Pale Ale". Just a little different name change and bottle design.

Azagthoth
June 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Anybody going down to the Lost Abbey tomorrow? They are releasing "Isabelle Proximus" which is a collaboration brew, brewed by The Lost Abbey, Russian River, Allagash, Dogfish Head, and Avery. It's supposed to be a Geuzey sour beer.

Bottles are $30 / 750 ml corked finish. I am thinking of grabbing 4 of them. One to consume in the next couple of weeks, a couple to let age, and one maybe to sell later if such a demand for them occurs.

Genghis John
June 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I tried the Firestone 31 yesterday. Not bad. I still think the Double Barrel Ale is a better beer

I also tried the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. I tried this on Mitch's recommendation. Damn that is a good beer. At 12% it packs a punch. I am going to stock up on this ****

Arrogant Ba$tard
June 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Tickets for the Stone 12th Anniversary are on sale now. Too bad I can't go this year.

Fooferah
June 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Stone's '02 Vertical?

I didn't open that. Have a heart, man!

psychopuck
June 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Wow, that is saying a lot. I trust your word and will give the 31 a shot sometime.

I love the Stone Pale, but if Firestone's is better.......

I liked the 31. Mitch & I had it the Bevmo tasting a couple of weeks ago.

Arrogant Ba$tard
June 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I didn't open that. Have a heart, man!

You can buy a bottle of 02 Vert at The Freakin Frog in Las Vegas but it will cost around $200 a bottle.

Fooferah
June 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think it's more about HAVING it than drinking it, because it is supposed to be pretty bad, right?

BeerMan
June 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
well, '02 is very rare. even Sam at the Stuffed Sandwich had been in the hunt for it. kinda like a holy grail, at least it was to him.

Diehard
July 3rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9420/424zw8.jpg

I thought this beer was pretty damn good. I liked the malty flavor.

Azagthoth
July 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
I had "Levud's" Batch 1 from The Bruery last night. The Bruery is a new brewery located in Placentia and I was pretty goddamn impressed with this one ! 11% abv belgian strong pale ale and just delicious ! As good as it was, give this another year or two to age and it will be unbelievable.

It's good to know there is a new brewery close by that is actually worthy :) The bottle cost me $16 and is very limited so get it while you can !

Genghis John
July 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.dogfish.com/media/beverage/medium/Immort_Ale.jpg

After trying other Dogfish beers I have to say I was expecting too much with this one. A very very good beer. But so far the Palo Santo is the best Dogfish beer I have tried

Arrogant Ba$tard
July 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Stone just released their 12th Anniversary - a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Release date - July 7. Not sure if it is in stores yet. They are serving it at their anniversary event in August.

Azagthoth
July 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Stone just released their 12th Anniversary - a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Release date - July 7. Not sure if it is in stores yet. They are serving it at their anniversary event in August.

I picked up a case yesterday.

Arrogant Ba$tard
July 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I picked up a case yesterday.

I just went to my local Bevmo and they don't have any in yet.

Azagthoth
July 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I just went to my local Bevmo and they don't have any in yet.

Better keep checking on a daily basis because I think its pretty limited..... the BevMo here only got 5 cases, and are now down to 4 thanks to me :)

sonnyboy11
July 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I picked up a growler of IPA from Rock Bottom Brewery last weekend in SD. VEry nice. Plenty of hops and long finish.

I also picked up a sixer of the Firestone IPA from Bevmo. My first time trying it. I liked it but it doesn't quite have enough bite for me. A little smooth for an IPA IMO IYKWIM TTFN. :30smile:

Azagthoth
July 9th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Fed Ex should be here today with the following:

Russian River Beatification x 3 375 ml
Russian River Redemption x 3 750 ml
Russian River Supplication x 3 375 ml

Cost me just under 200 bucks all said and done, ouch ! But it is well worth it and very hard to come by until the distribution improves down here. Thank you stimulus check !

Over the weekend the Achel Trappist Extra was a fine treat ! One of my new favorite trappist beers and damn near close to the greatness of Chimay Grande Reserve. I also had the St. Bernardus Prior 8 which is pretty good for a dubbel (not my favorite style).

Arrogant Ba$tard
July 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Cost me just under 200 bucks all said and done, ouch ! But it is well worth it and very hard to come by until the distribution improves down here. Thank you stimulus check !

Over the weekend the Achel Trappist Extra was a fine treat ! One of my new favorite trappist beers and damn near close to the greatness of Chimay Grande Reserve. I also had the St. Bernardus Prior 8 which is pretty good for a dubbel (not my favorite style).

It almost would have been cheaper to drive up and visit Russian River. manybeers:

DougW8
July 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM

The Russian River Supplication is one of my favorites. It ages very well, so you may want to put some away.

sonnyboy11
July 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Russian River brewing co. makes a fantastic beer. Last time I was bellied up to the bar at Stone Brewery, I went ahead and diverged a little from the draft list and ordered up 750mol of Russian River Damnation. Excellent brew! I'd love to get my hands on some Supplication.

Fooferah
July 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
The Russian River Supplication is one of my favorites. It ages very well, so you may want to put some away.

Seconded.

Azagthoth
July 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I actually ended up with 6 of the Beatifications. My order came in today :)

How are the Beatifications? I goofed when I ordered and accidentally put 2 of those in the quantity section. I wish it would have been the Supplication instead, but oh well - both are fine beers !

So what I got was

3 Supplications
3 Redemptions
6 Beatifications

Azagthoth
July 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM

I shoved those 3 far in the back of my fridge. I'll drink one within a few weeks (I do believe that most beers should be tried both fresh and aged) and let the other 2 sit for about a year.

I've also got the Beatifications in the back next to them, as a friend told me they age nicely too. I'll also be drinking one of those soon, and determining if I want to use a couple of the extras as trading chips.

Apparently the Redemption is on the lighter side, so I'll probably move through those pretty quick unless I am advised not to by somebody that is familiar with the beer.

Finally, I've also got a Temptation that's in the back which I am going to open up when my good buddy gets back in town from Ohio.

Azagthoth
July 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Russian River brewing co. makes a fantastic beer. Last time I was bellied up to the bar at Stone Brewery, I went ahead and diverged a little from the draft list and ordered up 750mol of Russian River Damnation. Excellent brew! I'd love to get my hands on some Supplication.

The Damnation is really good, and pretty easy to find out here in stores.

Its nothing though compared to some of the other ones I've had:

Pliny the Younger
Temptation
Russian River IPA

WingHater
July 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM

I already picked up a case. I will crack the first bottle tomorrow night & let you know how it is.

BeerMan
July 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I need to pick up the case soon

irisher
July 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but nevertheless:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/2293249909_b2a321969b.jpg?v=0

http://www.beernewsletter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/lagunitas-censored-ale-copy.jpg

rinkrat
July 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I might wander far and wide but I always gravitate back to Newcastle Ale.

sonnyboy11
July 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I might wander far and wide but I always gravitate back to Newcastle Ale.

Newcastle is a nice one to have as a 'staple'. I rarely pass one up.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but nevertheless:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/2293249909_b2a321969b.jpg?v=0

http://www.beernewsletter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/lagunitas-censored-ale-copy.jpg

Yup- the choir we are! But I have a couple of comments anway :tape2:

I like Ruination's taste, but as they say on the bottle, you cannot drink it with food. I often find myself hammering a good burger or even some fresh sushi with my brews so Ruination just doesn't make it into my fridge very often. I am starting to think I might like the Stone Old Guardian barley wine the best out of their brews. It's strong, but the taste is smooth and seems to work very well with a large variety of eats.

Lagunitas Censored is an excellent beer. But for some reason I prefer their edgier brews- in particular the Hairy Eyeball. That one makes you do funny things in public. :ko:

BeerMan
July 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Lagunitas Censored is an excellent beer. But for some reason I prefer their edgier brews- in particular the Hairy Eyeball. That one makes you do funny things in public.

the Hairy Eyeball usually makes an appearance at the microbrew festival at the Santa Anita racetrack.

that stuff is pretty good, but be forewarned. a few Hairy Eyeballs made henry jump over the fence and race with the horses.

he finished 2nd. true story.

sonnyboy11
July 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
the Hairy Eyeball usually makes an appearance at the microbrew festival at the Santa Anita racetrack.

that stuff is pretty good, but be forewarned. a few Hairy Eyeballs made henry jump over the fence and race with the horses.

he finished 2nd. true story.

Oh I believe it! I've said this before- do NOT get the Hairy Eyeball on a hot day and start slamming them. You will live (and even that's questionable) to regret it.

Azagthoth
July 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I like Ruination's taste, but as they say on the bottle, you cannot drink it with food. I often find myself hammering a good burger or even some fresh sushi with my brews so Ruination just doesn't make it into my fridge very often. I am starting to think I might like the Stone Old Guardian barley wine the best out of their brews. It's strong, but the taste is smooth and seems to work very well with a large variety of eats.

Lagunitas Censored is an excellent beer. But for some reason I prefer their edgier brews- in particular the Hairy Eyeball. That one makes you do funny things in public. :ko:

I'm not the only one out there who thinks the recipe got tweaked around in the Ruination. I remember it being much better back in the day. It's pretty much a hop bomb (well use to be anyways) but does work really well with the Stone Beer Mac n Cheese at the Stone restaurant. Old Guardian is spectacular, and one of the best barleywines out there. My favorite alltime beer is indeed a barleywine - the Bigfoot from Sierra Nevada. Rogue's Old Crustacean is good too, and the Behemoth Blonde from Three Floyds is among the best.

I've said before, I'm really not a big Lagunitas guy - but lately I've had some luck with a few of their brews. I loved the hell out of their Cappuccino Stout ! A very well crafted brew. Their Censored was surprisingly good, and I was really fond of the Hairy Eyeball.

Genghis John
July 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I tried a few more Dogfish heads last night

http://newyorkbrew.com/images/dogfishhead_burton-baton.jpg

The Burton Baton

Wow this was a good beer. It's an oaked Imperial IPA. I really liked this beer. I know it's going to be tough to get again but I really liked it

The Aprihop
http://www.dogfish.com/media/beverage/medium/ApriHop_bottle_4pk.jpg

I went in to this with very low expectations and was really wrong. This was a very good beer. Not as fruity or hoppy as I expected. I generally do not like fruited beers at all but I was pleasently surprised here.

That being said I think the Palo Santo is still their best beer that I have tried from Dogfish Head

Azagthoth
July 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I love the Burton Baton, and have an Aprihop in the fridge waiting to be consumed :)

Genghis John
July 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I love the Burton Baton, and have an Aprihop in the fridge waiting to be consumed :)

Which do you like better the Burton Baron or the Palo Santo?

I could see you really liking or really disliking the Aprihop

Azagthoth
July 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Which do you like better the Burton Baron or the Palo Santo?

I could see you really liking or really disliking the Aprihop

I haven't been able to come across the Palo Santo. Hopefully I'll get to the Aprihop soon, but I also have about 30 other beers to choose from in my fridge lol and even more in the cupboard that are aging at a nice temperature.

I think Dogfish Head is pretty cool and very unique, but the only one I really liked and would drink on a regular basis if it weren't so expensive would be the 90 Minute IPA. Perhaps the Burton Baton as well.

Genghis John
July 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I haven't been able to come across the Palo Santo. Hopefully I'll get to the Aprihop soon, but I also have about 30 other beers to choose from in my fridge lol and even more in the cupboard that are aging at a nice temperature.

I think Dogfish Head is pretty cool and very unique, but the only one I really liked and would drink on a regular basis if it weren't so expensive would be the 90 Minute IPA. Perhaps the Burton Baton as well.

Bevmo has the Palo Santo. Mitch and I can both get in it OC. AB$ has found it as well. I am going to assume he got in the same place

It might not be a bad idea to call a Bevmo in like Brea and see if they carry it

Genghis John
July 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
I have the 120 minute IPA this weekend. Nothing like I expected. The 21% alcohol content numbs your taste buds and you barely taste the hops. The beer also knocks you on your ass.
I tried a sip out of the bottle like 2 hours later(after the alcohol evaporated) and it was hoppier than ****!

I recommend you drink this beer when you are home alone and the power goes off

Azagthoth
July 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Last night was the new Hugh Malone from Allagash. What an amazing beer ! It's a Belgian style IPA (which I've only had once, and that was Stone's). I really urge everybody here to try it while you can, it is a very special one and up there with the best IPAs & Double IPAs I've ever had. It's got an interesting taste and somewhere in between those two styles if you will.

rinkrat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Coranado Idiot IPA

This **** is a full bore in your face sour hopped up IPA and is not for the timid.

Coronado Island IPA

This is pretty darned good too but not nearly as intense at the Idiot IPA. That **** curls your hair.

Azagthoth
July 23rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Through a trade, today I will be acquiring an Isabelle Proximus. That was the special release which was a collaboration of brewers from Avery, Russian River, Allagash, Dogfish Head, and The Lost Abbey. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and it's going to cost me 2 Russian River Beatifications. Totally worth it IMO.

I've got to try that Idiot IPA, Rinkrat. Sounds nice !

Azagthoth
July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
*MAJOR PURCHASE*

Okay, I just placed an online order for the following:

Brew Dog Paradox Caol Islay
Brew Dog Paradox Glen Grant
Brew Dog Paradox Glen Moray
Brew Dog Paradox Imperial Speyside
Brew Dog Paradox Macallan Sherry
Bridgeport Old Knucklehead
Deschutes Bachelor ESB
Deschutes Bond Street 20th Wit
Deschutes Cascade Ale
Deschutes Green Lake Organic
Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Deschutes Street Hop Henge
Dick's Imperial Stout
Dogfish Head Immort Ale
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre
Dogfish Head Red and White
Eel River Ravens Eye
Mikkeller Black
Nogne 0 Imperial Stout
Nogne 0 IPA
Nogne 0 Winter Ale
Nils Oscar Imperial Stout
Rogue Red Fox
Rogue White Crane
Roque XS Brewers Ale
Skagit Trumpeter

Genghis John
July 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
*MAJOR PURCHASE*

Dogfish Head Immort Ale

How many of these did you get? I noticed that I like this beer more each subsequent time I drink it.

BTW Old Knucklehead is a great beer. One of Bridgeport's better brews.

Azagthoth
July 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
How many of these did you get? I noticed that I like this beer more each subsequent time I drink it.

BTW Old Knucklehead is a great beer. One of Bridgeport's better brews.

1 of each. If this purchase is smoothe n easy, perhaps I'll use them again and pick up some more. They had more DFH that i'll pick up next time.

Liquid Solutions: Purveyors of World Class Beer, Tea and Coffee (http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/home/)

BeerMan
July 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
good lord, look at what we've turned Az to!

this kid used to stop at 7-11s to pick up 48ers of some fizzy yellow beers every day or so. upon our interventions, we've helped him graduate to a bona fide beer aficionado in a very short time!

Az is now ten steps ahead of most of us. this brings a tear to my eye.

Genghis John
July 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
good lord, look at what we've turned Az to!

this kid used to stop at 7-11s to pick up 48ers of some fizzy yellow beers every day or so. upon our interventions, we've helped him graduate to a bona fide beer aficionado in a very short time!

Az is now ten steps ahead of most of us. this brings a tear to my eye.

It's awesome isn't it?

Azagthoth
July 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
So I scored an Isabelle Proximus and a Deadnaught IPA. Had those on Friday night and good lord were they fantastic ! Especially the Isabelle.

Arrogant Ba$tard
July 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
*MAJOR PURCHASE*

Okay, I just placed an online order for the following:

Brew Dog Paradox Caol Islay
Brew Dog Paradox Glen Grant
Brew Dog Paradox Glen Moray
Brew Dog Paradox Imperial Speyside
Brew Dog Paradox Macallan Sherry
Bridgeport Old Knucklehead
Deschutes Bachelor ESB
Deschutes Bond Street 20th Wit
Deschutes Cascade Ale
Deschutes Green Lake Organic
Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Deschutes Street Hop Henge
Dick's Imperial Stout
Dogfish Head Immort Ale
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre
Dogfish Head Red and White
Eel River Ravens Eye
Mikkeller Black
Nogne 0 Imperial Stout
Nogne 0 IPA
Nogne 0 Winter Ale
Nils Oscar Imperial Stout
Rogue Red Fox
Rogue White Crane
Roque XS Brewers Ale
Skagit Trumpeter

I just returned from a trip to Colorado (and Avery!!). Found a bunch of beers we can't get out here in California yet. I had a Deschutes 20th Anny Wheat (very disappointing) and a few from Dogfish Head (Raison D'Etre - very bad IMO. Way too sweet and syruppy and I hate sweet beers. It is brewed with Raisons but sucks compared to the Lost Abbey brews) and a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (Better but still very syruppy) I also got an Avery Samaels (very good and should only get better with age). I am cellering the other 2 in the Avery lineup (The Beast and Mephistopholes) I visited about 6 micro brewpubs in the rockies area. Colorado in the summer doesn't do IPAs worth crap (except Avery). They excell in Pilsners and lighter brews IMO. The trip to Avery in Boulder was the best part. Everything they put out is very good. Sampled about 9 on tap including a Nitro version of something I can't remember right now. I am really noticing the American micro producers are blurring the lines between the styles. I had an "IPA Brown" made with Maple Syrup from Tommyknockers that was pretty good. And I have been seeing Belgian IPAs popping up too. Leave it to America to create new tastes.

Genghis John
July 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (Better but still very syruppy)

That was the high alcohol content numbing your tongue

Azagthoth
July 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
That was the high alcohol content numbing your tongue

I tried one of those too on Friday. Strange smell, kind of like Shoe Goo. I'd like to see how this one does over some time.

rinkrat
July 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/files/1/img_5910_370581.jpg

DRGinLBC
August 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Anyone know where I can find this? Can I only find it at Stone?

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/images/08label.jpg

Azagthoth
August 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/files/1/img_5910_370581.jpg

That's a damn fine beer !

Azagthoth
August 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone know where I can find this? Can I only find it at Stone?

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/images/08label.jpg

The BevMo in Glendora has it, and so does Lone Hill Liquor which is also in Glendora. It was released on Monday, if I recall...

DRGinLBC
August 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
The BevMo in Glendora has it, and so does Lone Hill Liquor which is also in Glendora. It was released on Monday, if I recall...

Thanks. I'm headed to BevMo either tonight or tomorrow (Long Beach). I'll keep my eyes out.

Arrogant Ba$tard
August 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I just picked up 8 bottles of the Vert 08. It only seemed right.

BeerMan
August 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'll still be waiting for those Stone's limited releases in a few weeks. as I'm out in SFV, the delay is always that way.

I had the fortune of running into a representative from Stone's in Mammoth last weekend. great dude, he felt for me since he, too, has been frustrated at how the distributions pan out in my area. it's a logistical nightmare, says he. I would call BS on that, because, since the problems have been going on for years, they should have figured it out a long time ago.

mitchrock
August 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Picked up a 6er of Lagunitas Sirus and Maui Big Swell IPA. Haven't tried this year's Sirus yet. The Big Swell is good stuff had it with psychopuck at the beer tasting yesterday and really liked. A good beer in a can that's not a pub can. Shocking.

BeerMan
August 9th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Lagunitas Sirius is a sirius beer. I've had it and enjoyed it.

psychopuck
August 10th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I really liked the 888 from stone. I'll be getting some more to keep till 2012. I only have 6,7 & 8 in the collection right now.

mitchrock
August 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Need to pick some some 888 on Friday. MAy just put them straight in storage.

DougW8
August 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I picked up some of the 08 Vertical Epic, and Lagunitas Sirius as well. Haven't had a chance to sample either yet, because yesterday was a margarita day. Also picked up some 21st Admendment High or Hellwatermelon beer. I remember trying it a few years ago at a brewfest in Portland. Seemed to be a refreshing beer for a very hot summer day. The watermelon isn't as overpowering as some fruit beers. This stuff has been in short supply at some BevMo locations but Glendora has it. One unusual thing I notice about 21st Admendment beers is that it is craft brew in a can.

mitchrock
August 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I picked up some of the 0* Vertical Epic, and Lagunitas Sirius as well. Haven't had a chance to sample either yet, because yesterday was a margarita day. Also picked up some 21st Admendment High or Hellwatermelon beer. I remember trying it a few years ago at a brewfest in Portland. Seemed to be a refreshing beer for a very hot summer day. The watermelon isn't as overpowering as some fruit beers. This stuff has been in short supply at some BevMo locations but Glendora has it. One unusual thing I notice about 21st Admendment beers is that it is craft brew in a can.

Tried the 21st High or Hellwatermelon beer at Bevmo. Agree that is wasn't as bad as I imagined. Tasted like a fruit soda to me. Just not my thing. They had some at the BevMo in Cypress if you're looking for more. Just call them first to make sure they haven't sold out since Friday night.

Arrogant Ba$tard
August 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Tried one of my 8/8/8's and was very disappointed. It seems to me that they have created this brew entirely as a cellar beer. I am sure it will improve with age but right out of the gate, it just tastes "off".

DougW8
August 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Tried one of my 8/8/8's and was very disappointed. It seems to me that they have created this brew entirely as a cellar beer. I am sure it will improve with age but right out of the gate, it just tastes "off".

I haven't tried one yet, but I felt that way about the 07.

BeerMan
August 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
well,about ****in time, a local liquor store received cases of the 12th Anni's. I bought a case gleefully like a boy buying a huge box of Legos.

no 8-8-8 yet, though.

will crack open a bottle of 12th tonight.

BeerMan
August 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I really liked the 888 from stone. I'll be getting some more to keep till 2012. I only have 6,7 & 8 in the collection right now.

I have the 5, 6 and 7 in the closet.

BeerMan
August 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
here's my review of this 12th Anni edition: this **** puts hair on your chest.

had the whole bottle last night. served warm in chilled mug.

poured a motor oil-like consistency.

head was completely brown, and just a bit thin. body very very dark. a strong whiff of aroma resembled a rosy red wine.

good level of bitterness. a slight syrupy chocolate flavor. some hint of oatmeal

and... I forget the rest. I got bushed.

this stout is a wow. it's good ****.

Azagthoth
August 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
The 8-8-08 is spectacular ! It actually reminded me of the Hugh Malone from Allagash. I love the Belgian/West Coast hoppy cross which is a pretty rare style to come by. I had my doubts before opening it, because I thought the 07 and 06 were "ok" and not brewed for immediate consumption - but rather ones to cellar. That wasn't the case with the 08 for me ! I actually can't see it cellaring too well because the hop profile will probably diminish at a quick rate. I intend on enjoying as much of those as I can right now.

Recently I had BridgePort's "Stumptown Tart" which was damn near perfect. Such a classy brew. Midnight Sun's "Arctic Devil Barley Wine" was hands down one of the best barleywine style ales I have had in a long time. Safe to say it would make my top 5 barleywine list.

Dogfish Head's "Fort" was very good, but definitely a bottle that can be split between a group of people. I still have a ton of stuff to get to in the fridge, and just ordered another shipment of beers from the internet which should be arriving on Friday.

mitchrock
August 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Tried the 8-8-08 and liked it. Like the hint of hoppiness in it.

Cracked into my 6er of Lagunitas Sirius. This year's batch is better than last years. No after taste. Creamy and hoppy!

DougW8
August 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Still haven't tried the 08, but agree with your comments on the Sirius. I've been alternating between that and the Lagunitas Censored this week.

Arrogant Ba$tard
August 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I had another 8/8/8 and it was much better. I think I drank the first one too cold. Or perhaps I was hoping for a different taste. This new Belgian IPA style is taking a little getting used to.

GALLY
August 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I like Blue Moon and the summer style of it Honey Moon. I tried the fall Harvest Moon and wasn't that impressed.

Henry1515
August 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I really liked this beer I had from San Diego Brewing Co. . was a blueberry wheat, with just a little blueberry to it, very refreshing...

Azagthoth
August 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I had a few great beers yesterday in honor of my brother's birthday.

Oregon Trail Bourbon Porter - this was outstanding ! The bourbon flavor is such a nice compliment to a great tasting porter to begin with. At 10% ABV I wouldn't have had any problems finishing it on my own, it was that good! However, we did a tasting and everybody got to try it. I am looking into grabbing another one of those.

Fred From The Wood - another stellar brew! I think beer advocate has it classified as an old ale. The oak flavor is very present but not overpowering. Notes of leather and tobacco came to mind as well. One of the better beers I have had in quite a while.

Supplication - Damn is Russian River possibly the most consistent brewery out there? Christ it was good ! The cherry flavor was nice and overall made the beer come off less sour-ish than the Beatification and Temptation (those ones are damn near perfect though, don't get me wrong). I have 1 left but if I ever get the opportunity to buy some again - I will stock up !!!

DougW8
August 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I had a few great beers yesterday in honor of my brother's birthday.

Oregon Trail Bourbon Porter - this was outstanding ! The bourbon flavor is such a nice compliment to a great tasting porter to begin with. At 10% ABV I wouldn't have had any problems finishing it on my own, it was that good! However, we did a tasting and everybody got to try it. I am looking into grabbing another one of those.

Fred From The Wood - another stellar brew! I think beer advocate has it classified as an old ale. The oak flavor is very present but not overpowering. Notes of leather and tobacco came to mind as well. One of the better beers I have had in quite a while.

Supplication - Damn is Russian River possibly the most consistent brewery out there? Christ it was good ! The cherry flavor was nice and overall made the beer come off less sour-ish than the Beatification and Temptation (those ones are damn near perfect though, don't get me wrong). I have 1 left but if I ever get the opportunity to buy some again - I will stock up !!!

Have I not been raving about the Supplication for a couple of years? Even better when you put it away for a year.

Azagthoth
August 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Have I not been raving about the Supplication for a couple of years? Even better when you put it away for a year.

Oh you definitely have, its just such a hard beer to come by :) I was fortunate to grab a few and still have one left which I'll let stay in the fridge for a while.

mitchrock
August 25th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Finally ventured out to Stone's restaurant with my wife. Had a glass of the Stone Cali-Begique IPA. Nice choice to have with dinner. Followed it up with a glass of Stone's 12th anniversary for dessert. Good stuff. Even better on tap.

Picked up a 2 liter growler and had it filled with the 2007 Imperial Russian Stout. Still love this stuff.

Azagthoth
August 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Finally ventured out to Stone's restaurant with my wife. Had a glass of the Stone Cali-Begique IPA. Nice choice to have with dinner. Followed it up with a glass of Stone's 12th anniversary for dessert. Good stuff. Even better on tap.

Picked up a 2 liter growler and had it filled with the 2007 Imperial Russian Stout. Still love this stuff.

Yum, yum, and yum !

I really love this somewhat new IPA/Belgian crossover of a style. Allagash's "Hugh Malone" is probably the best example of the style, and Stone's 8-8-08 is definitely up there. The 12th Anniversary rules, and I'll bet even more on draft.

The Imperial Russian Stout from Stone makes my top 3 beers of all time. I've got 2 cases of it at home.

afrolover
August 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
All this talk of these fine beers makes me want to crack open a bottle from the cellar and it is not even 8am yet! I would have to say I am a huge fan of just about any hoppy Stone brew and also have developed a bit of an addiction to either Moylans Kilt Lifter, Double IPA, and Barleywine. But the beer that remains constantly on my mind- probably because I live too far to be able to get my hands on it- is Pizza Port Carlsbad's "Black Lie". Now that is a little taste of heaven! YUMMY!

mitchrock
August 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The cool thing is that my wife liked the wine selection and food at Stone's restaurant and is already planning a couple of trips back. Will probably go in November and at the end of the year. Was impressed by the collection of beer on tap. Wanted to try LAgunitas Sirius, but didn't get to it. Also wanted to have one of stone's Old Guardian's on tap. oh well.

irisher
August 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Enjoyed both of these last night:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/1608.jpg

http://eduardosmissen.com/images/graphic/thelonius.jpg

go
August 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
If you ever get up to Santa Barbara/Goleta, I recommend Hollister Brewing Company in Goleta, not far from UCSB.

I have tried the Red 42 from the recommendation of the server. Delicious.

http://santabarbara.com/dining/review_read.asp?pk_restaurant=1455

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16048/?view=beerfly&ba=barleywinefiend

BeerMan
August 31st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Enjoyed both of these last night:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/1608.jpg

http://eduardosmissen.com/images/graphic/thelonius.jpg

I'm waiting to open the Brother Thelonius ale that I got for my birthday last week.

rinkrat
August 31st, 2008, 08:58 AM
I love the Racer 5 IPA, one of my regular brews along with Green Flash IPA and Coronado Island IPA. I like to start with one of those huge Newcastles then chase it with an IPA, supplies the perfect buzz.

roenick
September 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Drank a few of these lately and they aren't half bad ...

http://www.gotbeer.com/content/user_1/sam_adams_summer_ale.jpg

http://www.genx40.com/images/2008c/sasa1.JPG

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM

Went to Stone last week and had a ton of great drafts. The Cali-Beglque was very very good. In fact, I got an email saying they bottled it and are only selling it at Stone until they run out. (They started selling it 2 days after I was there) They also have a combo-brew with Alesmith and Mikkeller called Alesmith/Mikkeller/Stone Belgian Style Triple Ale. I have got to find a way to get back down there ASAP.

One bad tasting note - the Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout was slimy. The only reason I tried it is because they don't bottle it and I didn't see it at their tasting room.

Azagthoth
September 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Went to Stone last week and had a ton of great drafts. The Cali-Beglque was very very good. In fact, I got an email saying they bottled it and are only selling it at Stone until they run out. (They started selling it 2 days after I was there) They also have a combo-brew with Alesmith and Mikkeller called Alesmith/Mikkeller/Stone Belgian Style Triple Ale. I have got to find a way to get back down there ASAP.

One bad tasting note - the Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout was slimy. The only reason I tried it is because they don't bottle it and I didn't see it at their tasting room.

Oh man, I LOVE the Sea Monster Stout ! I was lucky to get a bottle that was probably a year old and it was damn good. Did you have it on draft @ Ballast Point?

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Oh man, I LOVE the Sea Monster Stout ! I was lucky to get a bottle that was probably a year old and it was damn good. Did you have it on draft @ Ballast Point?

I had it on draft at Stone. Must have been a skunked beer line. The slimy taste was not good.

EddyTheEd
September 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Was in Michigan a few weeks ago and had Oberon for the first time. Nice wheat ale with a good orange taste. I don't think they sell it west of the Rockies though, and they won't ship.
Beamish was recently brought back to the Yard House and BevMo, my all time favorite stout imported out of Ireland. Real clean finish, like water.

rinkrat
September 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I got a bottle of some **** last night called "Hop Juice Double IPA" that said it was 9% but I swear after a little over half the bottle I was ****-faced. If you like the lethal IPA's try this one. Tastes like hop extract with a hint of citrus in the blend.

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/images/2B-HJ-Labl-1.9.gif

irisher
September 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Enjoying one of these right now.....actually, four of these:

http://www.genx40.com/images/beerblog/dfh90ipa1.JPG

Azagthoth
September 9th, 2008, 06:22 AM
90 Minute IPA is one of my favorites from Dogfish Head.

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
New beers coming to the Stone Brewery: KJ TAKE NOTE OF THE PALO SANTO ON DRAFT!!!!

Lagunitas- Sonoma Farmhouse HOP STOOPID, on Draft

New Belgium Grand Cru, On Draft

Anchor Brewing Old Fog Horn

Dog Fish Head Palo Santo, On Draft

Lagunitas Imperial Red, on Draft

Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale, on Draft.

Ballast Point Abandon Ship Smoked Lager, On Draft

Genghis John
September 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
New beers coming to the Stone Brewery: KJ TAKE NOTE OF THE PALO SANTO ON DRAFT!!!!

Noted!

Have you tried it yet? What do you think?

Genghis John
September 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
90 Minute IPA is one of my favorites from Dogfish Head.

Of the Dogfish I have tried, I would rank them this way

Palo Santo
ImmortAle
120 Minute
90 Minute
Midas Touch
Burton Baton
Aprihop

Azagthoth
September 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Palo Santo
ImmortAle
120 Minute
90 Minute
Midas Touch
Burton Baton
Aprihop

Mine would go something like this:

Fort
Red & White
Raison D'extra
90 Minute IPA
Burton Baton
Golden Era
Indian Brown Ale
60 Minute IPA
Immort Ale
Raison D'etre
Aprihop
Olde School Barleywine
Midas Touch
120 Minute IPA

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've only had -

120 minute IPA (bam! a buttkicker)
Palo Santo (can't wait to try my aged one to compare)
90 minute IPA (decent)
Midas Touch (interesting and different)
Raison d' extra (didn't like this at all. Too sweet for me)

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Anybody up for a caravan roadtrip down to Stone one of these Sundays?
Note: All "Lambic style" beers are 25% off on Sundays for those who like that style.

Genghis John
September 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Palo Santo
ImmortAle
120 Minute
90 Minute
Midas Touch
Burton Baton
Aprihop

Mine would go something like this:

Fort
Red & White
Raison D'extra
90 Minute IPA
Burton Baton
Golden Era
Indian Brown Ale
60 Minute IPA
Immort Ale
Raison D'etre
Aprihop
Olde School Barleywine
Midas Touch
120 Minute IPA

I've only had -

120 minute IPA (bam! a buttkicker)
Palo Santo (can't wait to try my aged one to compare)
90 minute IPA (decent)
Midas Touch (interesting and different)
Raison d' extra (didn't like this at all. Too sweet for me)

I like how different all of our lists are. AB$, let me know how that aged one comes out

Az why did your 120 rank so low, was it too sweet or did you expect to taste the hops more. I had a beer with dinner and then The 120 minute. That thing turned me into a blithering idiot and I called Mitchrock a few times and babbled nonsense to him.

mitchrock
September 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I like how different all of our lists are. AB$, let me know how that aged one comes out

Az why did your 120 rank so low, was it too sweet or did you expect to taste the hops more. I had a beer with dinner and then The 120 minute. That thing turned me into a blithering idiot and I called Mitchrock a few times and babbled nonsense to him.

Beware of KJ's drunken dials.

Azagthoth
September 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Before I begin, let me say I absolutely love beers that are way over the top and too much for most individuals to handle. Some good examples of what I am getting at, would be Mikkeller Black, Mephistopholes, Hop 15, Fort, Samael's Ale, etc....

First off, the 120 Minute IPA smelled identical to "Shoe Goo". Remember that stuff? As far as the taste went, there was zero hop profile, as it was dominated and over ridden by tons of sugar. It had no balance, no malt backbone, and was more or less a stinky smelling watered down type of sugar fluid. I would be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and sample it again, but the night my friends and I had it, we all had the same disgusted reaction. I have no doubts about how it was stored, since I placed it in my fridge and sat there ever since I bought it cold at Lone Hill Liquor.

Genghis John
September 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Before I begin, let me say I absolutely love beers that are way over the top and too much for most individuals to handle. Some good examples of what I am getting at, would be Mikkeller Black, Mephistopholes, Hop 15, Fort, Samael's Ale, etc....

First off, the 120 Minute IPA smelled identical to \"Shoe Goo\". Remember that stuff? As far as the taste went, there was zero hop profile, as it was dominated and over ridden by tons of sugar. It had no balance, no malt backbone, and was more or less a stinky smelling watered down type of sugar fluid. I would be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and sample it again, but the night my friends and I had it, we all had the same disgusted reaction. I have no doubts about how it was stored, since I placed it in my fridge and sat there ever since I bought it cold at Lone Hill Liquor.

I blame that on the high alcohol content numbing your tongue. Next time you get it pour some aside(like a shot glass full) and let it sit out for like 2 hours. You'll taste the hops.

I went back and took one last sip from the bottle after pouring it in a glass and it ws INSANELY hoppy. The hops were harder to get off my breath than cigar smoke

Azagthoth
September 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I blame that on the high alcohol content numbing your tongue. Next time you get it pour some aside(like a shot glass full) and let it sit out for like 2 hours. You'll taste the hops.

I went back and took one last sip from the bottle after pouring it in a glass and it ws INSANELY hoppy. The hops were harder to get off my breath than cigar smoke

Interesting ! Yeah, I figured the dominant sugar taste was because the insane amount of ABV. The Mikkeller Black was like that, and so was the DogFish Head fort, but they were much better crafted and pulled it off better than the 120. I guess what I am trying to say was that the malt and hop were more present in the other two after being poured cold.

I'll pick another up and let it sit for a couple of hours. Does that still taste alright though at room temperature? Id love to pick up the hop taste, but at that warm??? I'll take your word for it !

Hexisland
September 18th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Just tried Arrogant Bastard Ale...very good!
Mirror Pond Pale Ale...very good!
I love Guinness, but did not care for Smithwick's.

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM

First off, the 120 Minute IPA smelled identical to \"Shoe Goo\". Remember that stuff? As far as the taste went, there was zero hop profile, as it was dominated and over ridden by tons of sugar. It had no balance, no malt backbone, and was more or less a stinky smelling watered down type of sugar fluid. I would be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and sample it again, but the night my friends and I had it, we all had the same disgusted reaction. I have no doubts about how it was stored, since I placed it in my fridge and sat there ever since I bought it cold at Lone Hill Liquor.

That is funny. I thought the same thing about the Raison d"extra. Way to sweet, syruppy and smelled strange.

Genghis John
September 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Interesting ! Yeah, I figured the dominant sugar taste was because the insane amount of ABV. The Mikkeller Black was like that, and so was the DogFish Head fort, but they were much better crafted and pulled it off better than the 120. I guess what I am trying to say was that the malt and hop were more present in the other two after being poured cold.

I'll pick another up and let it sit for a couple of hours. Does that still taste alright though at room temperature? Id love to pick up the hop taste, but at that warm??? I'll take your word for it !

Hang on.. I think you misunderstood me.

If you pour a little aside and let that sit out the alcohol will evaporate and you will taste the hops and my lord will you taste the hops. You'll taste the hops for another week. DON'T drink the whole beer this way.

It sounds like you might have got a bad batch. The one I had didn't smell like Shoe goo and wasn't that sweet. AB$ has had both beers so he would be a better judge of that

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hang on.. I think you misunderstood me.

If you pour a little aside and let that sit out the alcohol will evaporate and you will taste the hops and my lord will you taste the hops. You'll taste the hops for another week. DON'T drink the whole beer this way.

It sounds like you might have got a bad batch. The one I had didn't smell like Shoe goo and wasn't that sweet. AB$ has had both beers so he would be a better judge of that

Getting bad bottles of beer happens. I really didn't like the 08/08/08 in the first bottle. I think it was skunked. I have enjoyed subsequent bottles.

irisher
September 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.brewerman.com/img/thesession/thesession_2_anderson_valley_double.jpg

Enjoying a Brother David's Double from Anderson Valley right now after about two hours of racquetball. Excellent way to wind down an evening and the price at BevMo is more than reasonable.

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.brewerman.com/img/thesession/thesession_2_anderson_valley_double.jpg

Enjoying a Brother David's Double from Anderson Valley right now after about two hours of racquetball. Excellent way to wind down an evening and the price at BevMo is more than reasonable.

That is some good stuff. I like the double better than the triple.

Azagthoth
September 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
I had The Lost Abbey's "10 Commandments" on Friday night and was let down. Such hype going into the beer, but the lack of carbonation killed what could have been an outstanding brew ! Flavor was great, but zero carbonation to give the body that Belgian crispness. :(

Oh, and the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA is a new favorite of mine ! Definitely in the top 5 for that style, just behind the Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada and Russian River's Blind Pig IPA.

BeerMan
September 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
ya know, I don't have a top 5 or 25 of whatever list of favorite brews. I'm not that kinda guy. I just drink what I like to drink so it would be cool to.... ya know.... make the list just once.

or maybe I should just avoid this thread once and for all.

ya dig?

great.

here's to great brews! :chums:

mitchrock
September 26th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Got a 6er of Kona's Pipeline Porter to take to Vegas. Good stuff.

Azagthoth
September 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
ya know, I don't have a top 5 or 25 of whatever list of favorite brews. I'm not that kinda guy. I just drink what I like to drink so it would be cool to.... ya know.... make the list just once.

or maybe I should just avoid this thread once and for all.

ya dig?

great.

here's to great brews! :chums:

My top 15 would go something like this:

1. Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot
2. Stone - Imperial Russian Stout
3. AleSmith - Speedway Stout
4. Sierra Nevada - Celebration Ale
5. Chimay - Grande Reserve (Blue)
6. Stone - Double Bastard Ale
7. Russian River - Pliny The Younger
8. Russian River - Pliny The Elder
9. The Lost Abbey - Serpents Sout
10. The Lost Abbey - The Angel's Share (Bourbon Barrel)
11. Three Floyds - Dreadnaught IPA
12. Stone - 10th Anniversary Ale
13. North Coast - Old Rasputin
14. Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde
15. Midnight Sun - Arctic Devil Barleywine

Genghis John
September 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
My top 15 would go something like this:

1. Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot
2. Stone - Imperial Russian Stout
3. AleSmith - Speedway Stout
4. Sierra Nevada - Celebration Ale
5. Chimay - Grande Reserve (Blue)
6. Stone - Double Bastard Ale
7. Russian River - Pliny The Younger
8. Russian River - Pliny The Elder
9. The Lost Abbey - Serpents Sout
10. The Lost Abbey - The Angel's Share (Bourbon Barrel)
11. Three Floyds - Dreadnaught IPA
12. Stone - 10th Anniversary Ale
13. North Coast - Old Rasputin
14. Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde
15. Midnight Sun - Arctic Devil Barleywine

Wow....I have to admit I am a little shocked not to see any Dogfish on there. I am like beerman. I like too many beers to make a list

irisher
September 29th, 2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.bov.ch/labels/USA/usa-bear-republic-big-bear-black-stout.jpg

In terms of body, a little thinner than most stouts I enjoy, but you can't argue with the flavor--and they've hidden the 8% ABV really well.

Azagthoth
September 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Bear Republic is solid! Their Racer 5 IPA rules.

mitchrock
September 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Pour 24 in New York New York is outstanding. Tremendouse beer selection on Tap. Psychopuck and I were drinking Ruination and loving it. Rob2716 had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. They also had Alaskan ESB on tap as well as many others. My favorite bar in Vegas. It's right noext to Coyot Ugly, so you get to check out the ladies lining up for that place. Good beer + eye candy = good times.

Azagthoth
September 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Pour 24 in New York New York is outstanding. Tremendouse beer selection on Tap. Psychopuck and I were drinking Ruination and loving it. Rob2716 had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. They also had Alaskan ESB on tap as well as many others. My favorite bar in Vegas. It's right noext to Coyot Ugly, so you get to check out the ladies lining up for that place. Good beer + eye candy = good times.

How did I miss this place? Well, usually we are pretty hammered by the time we make our way over to the NYNY. I've never noticed it before.

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Wow....I have to admit I am a little shocked not to see any Dogfish on there. I am like beerman. I like too many beers to make a list

I had some Dogfish for the first time last weekend. Midas Touch and the 90 Minute IPA.

although I thought the MT wasn't so bad, a bit sweet for my liking but it's good to sample something made from a recipe that is a few thousand years old. I like the IPA better.

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
How did I miss this place? Well, usually we are pretty hammered by the time we make our way over to the NYNY. I've never noticed it before.

that usually happens when you're hammered. ;)

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
my top 15 would go something like this:

*******! Lol

psychopuck
October 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM

We'll have to meet up next year. Here's the link.
Las Vegas Entertainment - Pour 24 at New York New York Hotel & Casino (http://www.nynyhotelcasino.com/entertainment/entertainment_pour24.aspx)

Azagthoth
October 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I feel like quite the dilated Demitrios after this past weekend that we spent in the Encinitas/San Diego area.

We started Friday night off right with a trip to Pizza Port Solana Beach and here were the highlights:

Port Tovarish Imperial Espresso Stout - Crap this was good stuff ! A very well done Russian Imperial Stout with incredible drinkability @ 11.00% ABV. The espresso wasn't prevalent, but rather a compliment to the brew and its creamy complexity. Damn smooth too and one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts out there. I hope this gets bottled at some point.

Port Low Tide Fresh Hop Pale Ale - This was great overall, and had one of the best finishes and aftertaste that I have ever experienced with a beer. I prefer the High Tide, but this one is a undoubtedly a contender in the fresh hop category.

Port Haruki's Rice Rocket - By far the best malt liquor I have ever tasted ! I had no idea going into this, that it was a malt liquor. Spank my ass and call me Ned !

The following were pretty solid brews overall from Port Brewing:

Stunna Shade Stout
Swami's IPA
Seaside Stout
Dawn Patrol Dark Mild
Cardiff Cream Ale
California Honey Ale
Baja Session Ale

Pizza Port also had some amazing guest brews:

New Belgium La Folie - ****in' A ! Best beer of the weekend, hands down. This one is very hard to get, and I am surprised that I found it on draft. The sour notes on this one weren't too overpowering, and complexity was displayed in its truest form. I really don't know what to say about this one, other than the cherry presence is great and is up there with Russian River's Supplication.

Alpine O'Brien's IPA - Excellent for an IPA ! Very drinkable and flavorful. I could easily see this one as a go-to session beer if it were available up my way.

Oskar Blues Ten FIDY - Oh baby !!! Talk about delicious :) I nearly came after trying this. An excellent Russian Imperial Stout with nothing short of complex characteristics. Initially I got a cocoa/brown sugar punch, which that stays until the very last sip. I would throw this one with some vanilla ice cream and chocolate cake - as it is a great dessert beer ! Nothing I could drink more than a pint of, because it is so damn filling - but so freakin' good !

We lefted Pizza Port and then proceeded down to Ballast Point afterwards. Talk about a fun place, but be prepared to dish out the bucks!!! $10 for two pint glasses, and $20 for a T-Shirt? Christ !

Onto the beer....

Abandon Ship Smoked Lager - Decent for what it was. Nothing too impressive but didn't make me gag either.

10th Anniversary Rocktoberfest Lager - Pass on this one. Very unimpressed and uninspired.

Pescadero Pilsner - This one was good ! Definitely held its own after everything that I had tasted at Pizza Port.

Schooner Ale - Yummy ! This is a crisp and satisfying fresh hop Kolsch, especially for coming in at 4.5% ABV. Very nice use of the cascade hop with an overall grassy & citrus punch. I got a 1 gallon growler of this to take back to our hotel room. It poured about 8-9 pint glasses and lets say we were all happy campers :)

Black Marlin Porter Whiskey Barrel Aged - Hell yes ! This is what I am talking about folks. I love the regular version, but this one ups it a notch or two. The whiskey aging compliments this very drinkable porter ever so greatly. I definitely got a growler of this (64 oz) and will probably be pouring that one this Friday night with some friends that are going to drop by.

The last brew I got to sample at Ballast Point was the Big Eye IPA Dry Hopped w/Crystal on Cask. Very goddamn good and something I would drink on a regular basis if I had access to it.

For 6 tasters, a 64 oz & 1 gallon growler, and 2 fills - the bill was just over $80. Not until we got back to the room, did I realize that I was overcharged for an extra growler fill! Oh well, it wasn't really worth driving 15 minutes back down to Ballast Point to get $16 back.

We went back to Pizza Port on Saturdee to try out the pizza and to grab a few more cold ones. They make what might possibly be the best pizza I have ever had. I would go back in a heartbeat simply for the pizza alone.

Genghis John
October 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I had some Dogfish for the first time last weekend. Midas Touch and the 90 Minute IPA.

although I thought the MT wasn't so bad, a bit sweet for my liking but it's good to sample something made from a recipe that is a few thousand years old. I like the IPA better.

You need to try the Palo Santo. Wayyyy better than the 90 Minute or the MT

Remember the Midas Touch is a hopless beer that is also brewed w/o yeast. The honey helps the fermentation so the beer is sweeter.

mitchrock
October 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Az, I almost came in my pants reading your beer review. Love you man.

Genghis John
October 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Good News! Dogfish is bringing more beers to CA next year. No word on what they are yet, but more will be available

kingsnation
October 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
For a great German beer you have

Bitburger
hofbura Munchner Original

BeerMan
October 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM
You need to try the Palo Santo. Wayyyy better than the 90 Minute or the MT

Vendome Liquor in Toluca Lake had that out for me to look at but I passed on it because it's a brown ale, which isn't my cup of tea. I'll give it a go next time I visit that place, if they have it.

Remember the Midas Touch is a hopless beer that is also brewed w/o yeast. The honey helps the fermentation so the beer is sweeter.

yep, I knew that.

Genghis John
October 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Vendome Liquor in Toluca Lake had that out for me to look at but I passed on it because it's a brown ale, which isn't my cup of tea. I'll give it a go next time I visit that place, if they have it.

I don't like brown ales either. Mitchrock actually convinced me to try it. Them calling it a brown is a bit deceiving. It's literally one of the best beers I have ever had

Azagthoth
October 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I don't like brown ales either. Mitchrock actually convinced me to try it. Them calling it a brown is a bit deceiving. It's literally one of the best beers I have ever had

Brown Ales are hit or miss, same with red/ambers. Although, I'd take a brown ale over a red any day of the week.

Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is phenomenal.

Here are some other great browns that come to mind:

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Hazelnut Nectar
Greenflash Nut Brown Ale
Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

I picked up a Nogne O Brown Ale from Holiday Wine Cellar last weekend in Escondido, and will report back once I have consumed it.

Genghis John
October 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Brown Ales are hit or miss, same with red/ambers. Although, I'd take a brown ale over a red any day of the week.

Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is phenomenal.

Here are some other great browns that come to mind:

Rogue Hazelnut Nectar
Greenflash Nut Brown Ale
Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

I picked up a Nogne O Brown Ale from Holiday Wine Cellar last weekend in Escondido, and will report back once I have consumed it.

Hey did you ever try the Palo Santo? I try to keep up with this thread but might have missed it......

Also how is the Sierra Nevada brown?

Azagthoth
October 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hey did you ever try the Palo Santo? I try to keep up with this thread but might have missed it......

Sierra Nevada Brown is great. Definitely go to Pizza Port Solana Beach since they have it on tap. I am pretty sure that beer isn't bottled anymore.

Still haven't come across the Palo Santo yet.....

Genghis John
October 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Still haven't come across the Palo Santo yet.....

The Brea Bevmo has it.

rinkrat
October 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Beer makes me feel all funny inside!

DougW8
October 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Brooklyn Brown is probably the best brown ale I've ever had, but it's only available back east.

rinkrat
October 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I just went to a BBQ for the LAist in Echo Park hills and besides all the amazing foods and tasty dips and some bartender sent by a booze company to make some Brazilian drinks, they had a keg of Craftsman beer from Pasadena. I've never heard of it but it was a quality dark golden brew with a nice taste and just enough bite. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed a few cups. :) :) :)

I wonder if they sell it in stores? Anyone seen it?

http://craftsmanbrewing.com/

jdkings24
October 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Steel Reserve

BeerMan
October 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I just went to a BBQ for the LAist in Echo Park hills and besides all the amazing foods and tasty dips and some bartender sent by a booze company to make some Brazilian drinks, they had a keg of Craftsman beer from Pasadena. I've never heard of it but it was a quality dark golden brew with a nice taste and just enough bite. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed a few cups. :) :) :)

I wonder if they sell it in stores? Anyone seen it?

Craftsman Brewing Company, Pasadena California Micro Brewery (http://craftsmanbrewing.com/)

their beers are ok. it's just a pub brewery.

edit: actually, Luck Baldwins would be the name of the pub that exclusively serves Craftsman beers, as far as I know. http://www.luckybaldwins.com/

Fooferah would have more info about them.

mitchrock
October 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Just picked up a 6er of Road Dog Porter yesterday. Good stuff.

drivelikejoewho
October 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM

This stuff friggin rules! I just buy random beers sometimes to see how I like them. I've tasted a lot of crappy stuff in my day but Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is wonderful!

This week I tried Red Rocket Ale and it sucked. My roommate bought Anderson Valley Brewing Boont ESB and that was actually really good.

BeerMan
October 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
This week I tried Red Rocket Ale and it sucked. My roommate bought Anderson Valley Brewing Boont ESB and that was actually really good.

you should try their Hop Ottin IPA

Tre West
October 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Mad River Jamaican Red Ale

Azagthoth
October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
you should try their Hoppin IPA

I second the Hop Ottin IPA. You can guzzle a 6 of those easily. One of my fav IPAs out there.

Tre West
October 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM
After reading this thread, I've decided to brew another beer. I have a Mr. Beer home brewing kit. The beer is good, and the alcohol content is high. I've brewed about 12-16 different types of beer. Ales, Hefs, Porters, Stouts..... I highly recommend purchasing the kit. It simple and fun. It may take a try or two to get your beer tasting right, but when you do it is very rewarding. Nothing like getting hammered by your own creation.

Genghis John
October 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I went to Pizza Port yesterday their Scotch strong Ale is ****ing good! Really ****ing good

Azagthoth
October 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Picked up a 6'er of the Sam Adams Winter Lager yesterday. This has been a favorite these past 2 winters and I HOPE they didn't tweak with the recipe, like how they did with the recent Summer Ale.

I also picked up a Speedway Stout from Alesmith to throw in the fridge for good measure :)

roenick
October 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Picked up a 6'er of the Sam Adams Winter Lager yesterday. This has been a favorite these past 2 winters and I HOPE they didn't tweak with the recipe, like how they did with the recent Summer Ale.

Report back on it please. This past summer I ran into the Summer Ale and liked it so I am on the Sam Adams band wagon now. As far as winter ales I can recommend this as well:

http://www.worldclassbeverage.com/images/prodimages/alaskan/lWinterBottle.jpg

Azagthoth
October 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
The Alaskan is a great, yet interesting one, Roenick !

Here is my latest haul from Liquid Solutions:

Brew Dog - Paradox Port Dundas
Dogfish Head - Punkin Ale
Elysian - Night Owl Pumpkin
Full Sail - SlipKnot IPA
Full Sail - Wassail
HaandBryggeriet - Dobbel Dram
HaandBryggeriet - Haandbakk
Harviestoun - Ola Dubh Special 12 Reserve
Harviestoun - Ola Dubh Special 16 Reserve
Harviestoun - Ola Dubh Special 30 Reserve
Lagunitas - Brown Shugga
New Belgium - Abbey Ale
New Belgium - Blue Paddle Pils
't Smisje - Fiori
't Smisje - IPA +
Wolaver's - Pumpkin Ale
Hale's - Aftermath Imperial IPA
Hale's - O Brien's Harvest Ale

Genghis John
October 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Dogfish Head - Punkin Ale

New Belgium - Abbey Ale
New Belgium - Blue Paddle Pils

Let me know how these are

Azagthoth
October 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Let me know how these are

Will do, my fellow Dogfiend.

I've never had a pumpkin ale before, this will be fun !

roenick
October 31st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Shout out to Az and any other partakers of the golden/red necter who may visit the Pacific Northwest sometime. When here make sure you visit the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville, WA. Great tour and very good beer. They went a bit commercial but they still have some decent brews.

http://www.peasedev.org/images/red_hook.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/beer/1/0/6/2/-/-/BT01.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1DPnSeC-t5g/SFhoiDpIKWI/AAAAAAAACXg/mq2F2u_9CVw/IMG_0844+copy.jpg

Azagthoth
October 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
I've had the Red Hook ESB which I REALLY enjoyed, and had a barleywine from them as well which was fantastic.

They might be a little to big to be considered a microbrewery, but their beer is damn good! That doesn't stop me from enjoying good beer. Come to think of it, Stone and Sierra Nevada aren't really microbreweries anymore, but I drink their offerings religiously. They aren't commercial like Widmer and Pyramid as far as I am concerned!

KBM
October 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm a fan of Widmer Hef so I tried their Holiday Ale called "Brrr" and it was interesting. Full bodied bitterness and a sweet finish. 7.2%. Try it! Ya might just like it.

http://www.thebrewsite.com/images/widmer-pr-scan.jpg

Azagthoth
October 31st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I am open to try any new beer, regardless of who brews it. I'll hold off though until I can find a single 12oz bottle of it (most likely from Hollingshead). I try to avoid buying 6 packs of new beers incase I can't stomach it.

Genghis John
October 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've had the Red Hook ESB which I REALLY enjoyed, and had a barleywine from them as well which was fantastic.

T

I like Red Hook's IPA

Azagthoth
October 31st, 2008, 09:59 AM
I like Red Hook's IPA

The Longhammer IPA? I don't think I've had that one before.

The fact that RedHook is pretty big doesn't bother me one bit. A lot of these micro breweries probably exceed the barrel production that qualifies them to be acknowledged as a micro, but as long as the beer is good then more power to em!

BeerMan
November 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
the Longhammer IPA is very good. clean and crisp for an IPA. my usual staple at the saloon across the street here.

btw, I finally got around to try the Dogfish Palos Santos. I came away not too terribly impressed with it, even though some of you have said that it is unlike the usual brown ales on the market which I wish to disagree.

mitchrock
November 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Az, if you like Redhook's ESB, I suggest you Try Alaskan's ESB. THink you'll be in for a treat.

sarah659
November 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
just finished a sixer of karl stauss amber lager for the first time because it was "new item in the area". eeeh, i didn't think it was great, but not terrible by any means. i felt it was right in between a pale ale and red as far as flavors go... closer to pale ale. if that's your thing go try it out.

mitchrock
November 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I find Karl Strauss to be an average brewery at best. Not suprised at your review Sarah/

Watti
November 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Red Hook is awesome, particularly the Longhammer :good:

Azagthoth
November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Az, if you like Redhook's ESB, I suggest you Try Alaskan's ESB. THink you'll be in for a treat.

That is one of the few Alaskan brews left that I haven't tried (ESB and the Smoked Porter). You were spot on with the Alaskan Stout recommendation so I have no doubt their ESB is incredible as well. Hell, all of their brews have been damn solid!

rinkrat
November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
The Longhammer is great and you can find it on sale at Ralph's a lot of times. One of the more affordable IPA's around.

Azagthoth
November 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
My brother and I picked up a bottle of the Autumn Maple from The Bruery tonight, in addition to Gift of the Magi from The Lost Abbey ! I absolutely cannot wait to try these.

Has anybody tried The Bruery beers yet? They are out of Placentia and are simply amazing brews. The Autumn Maple is a Belgian style brown ale brewed with yams, molasses, maple syrup, and spices ! Talk about everything that a fall seasonal beer should have :)

Azagthoth
November 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
So my brother, a friend, and I decided to split the Gift of the Magi & Autumn Maple last night!

The Gift of the Magi is easily The Lost Abbey's second best non-brewery only release (only behind the Serpents Stout). The booze is very present but not overpowering. A little more carbonation would have been nice, but by no means did it negate the wonderful aroma and flavors of this brew.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery was impressive. The aroma was sensational while the spices complimented the thickness and body of this brew. The carbonation wasn't very present, but to me that was a non-issue as the beer was just fine without it. The booze was somewhat prominent at 10% ABV so I am considering picking up 2 or 3 more to let age for several months. I highly recommend this beer !

Watti
November 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I can't seem to find the previous post where Azagthoth recommended Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout (edit: I think it was in a Trader Joe's thread, actually), but this is what I'm up to tonight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/mcphersonm80/samuelsmithsimperialstout001.jpg

It's not like it's difficult to find (see also: BevMo). I've seen it several times and never tried it out until tonight, always go for their Organic Lager or Nut Brown Ale. I was missing out...

:good: :drinky:

Genghis John
November 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/blogs/brew/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bourboncounty090_wuse.jpg

This beer means ****ing business. It's the equivalent of a Palo Santo (ale) in Stout form./

I lifted this review

From the Goose Island Brewery, Chi, IL. The one-thousandth batch recipe from the original brew-pub at 1800 North Clybourn. Aged 100 days in bourbon barrels.

12 ounce long-neck, 11% ABV, bottled 01/05/05. Label touts an ageable duration of 5 years.

Deep black, syrupy color with the darkest, red-brown head I've ever seen on a beer - a deep cherry wood color that settles quickly to a good collar.

Creamy vanilla and earthy clay notes in nose. Some chocolate and a mild oakiness.

Vanilla and chocolate notes that are immediately over-run by spicy alcohol flavor with a definite bourbon character. Finishing in an oaky whiskey aftertaste and lingering earthiness and chocolate.

Since the flavor on this beer seemed to beg for something sweet and chocolate, I had a small bite of Austrian milk chocolate at this point (less sweet in style than US milk chocolate). The chocolate seemed to subdue the bourbon notes of the beer some and bring out a more roasted malt flavor.

Heavy body with a velvet smooth mouth-feel, finishing very dry.

This is a very flavorful beer, very big - best savored on a cool or cold evening...very slowly - not for the timid.

This beer is nuts. The first sip finished with a hint of a chocolate covered cherry. A few later the finish changed to a vanilla (big time)

This is without a doubt the most unique beer I have ever had.

Azagthoth
November 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Where did you get that at KJ ?!?!?!

I need to get me some of that ASAP ! It'll go very quickly in stores.

Genghis John
November 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Where did you get that at KJ ?!?!?!

I need to get me some of that ASAP ! It'll go very quickly in stores.

Irvine Bevmo

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I recently picked up some bottles of:

Pliny the Elder
Blind Pig
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
Reisdorf Kolsch
Deschutes 20th Anniversary Porter
Avery Jubilee
Greenflash Le Freak
Yulesmith Holiday Ale (4th of July version)

Rediscovered this great place that gets some very hard to find brews. Osheas Brewing Supplies down in San Juan Capistrano. They also have all of the Allagash brews plus dozens of holiday belgians.

Azagthoth
November 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I recently picked up some bottles of:

Pliny the Elder
Blind Pig
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
Reisdorf Kolsch
Deschutes 20th Anniversary Porter
Avery Jubilee
Greenflash Le Freak
Yulesmith Holiday Ale (4th of July version)

Rediscovered this great place that gets some very hard to find brews. Osheas Brewing Supplies down in San Juan Capistrano. They also have all of the Allagash brews plus dozens of holiday belgians.

Both of the Russian River brews are spectacular and among the best in their league. I never cared much for Wipeout IPA from Port. The Double Dead Guy was a letdown for me, and I have been trying hard to get that Deschutes 20th Anniversary XX Porter. Let us know how that one is !

Le Freak is a wonderful beer, and the Yulesmith Summer Double IPA is one of the best out there. It'll be interesting to see how the hops are holding up at this point.

Azagthoth
November 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Well it looks like my order with Liquid Solutions fell through after some troubles with my debit card :( So, what was my answer to that? I stocked up on 15 or so X-mas beers last night, that's what I did !

British

Bad Elf
Criminally Bad Elf
Insanely Bad Elf
Lump of Coal
Reindeer's Revolt
Santa's Butt
Seriously Bad Elf
Very Bad Elf
Warm Welcome

Belgian

Kurstmutske Christmas Nightcap
Affligem Noel
St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
Gulden Draak Vintage
Serafijn Christmas Angel
Winterkoninske Winter King
Cuvee de Noel
N'ice Chouffe
Canaster Winterscotch
Scaldis Noel

Norweigan

Nogne O Peculiar Yule (this one isn't even up on beer advocate yet)

Genghis John
November 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Belgian

Kurstmutske Christmas Nightcap
Affligem Noel
St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
Gulden Draak Vintage
Serafijn Christmas Angel

Norweigan

Nogne O Peculiar Yule (this one isn't even up on beer advocate yet)

There are a couple of others that I can't think of right now.....

Scaldis makes an excellent Christmas beer. I think you would dig it.

http://web.mit.edu/~tcarlile/www/images/blog/491bushnoel.jpg

irisher
November 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Stone Smoked Porter + La Paloma Dominican cigar = goodness.

http://www.liquorama.net/ProductImages/stoneporter.jpg

Genghis John
November 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Scaldis came out with a "special" Chrsitmas beer. It is huge and has a cork. It looks almost just like this

http://web.mit.edu/~tcarlile/www/images/blog/491bushnoel.jpg

roenick
November 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
So the wife bought a case of Blue Moon for me from Costco and had a few with our pizza dinner tonight. Tried this one and I liked it ALOT:

http://www.frostygoodness.com/wp-content/photos/100_2672.JPG

This was about the best hefeweizen I have ever had.

This wasn't bad either as their winter ale offering:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/1594008196_72ca1841b3_m.jpg

And finally I tried the Pale Moon, which is their Pale offering. This isn't bad but it is about as fruity a pale as I have ever had. Bottle says it has "a touch of hibiscus and orange peel" and you can really taste it. (sorry couldn't find a picture of it on line)

mitchrock
November 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Blue Moon is pretty good. Good beer to drink while BBQing outdoors.

Azagthoth
November 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
What a beer involved weekend we had !

Friday night I experienced Goose Island's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout which can be purchased at Trader Joe's for $5.99. Absolutely wonderful!!! This is easily going to be one of my go to session beers when a 6 pack is appropriate for the evening. The body on this brew was great, very smooth, and the aroma/flavors were wonderful. I'd buy this stuff even if it were marked up to $10.99 for a 6'er.

We sampled a couple of beers on Saturday from Left Hand Brewing Company. From them, we had their Imperial Stout and the Sawtooth Ale which was some type of ESB or extra pale ale. Pretty decent stuff but nothing to go out of your way for.

Firestone Twelve was OUTSTANDING! This one is extremely complex but ever so brilliant. Notes of vanilla, tobacco, leather, and chocolate immediately come to mind accompanied by quite an alcohol presence. Perhaps it wasn't worth the $20 dollar for a bottle, but its value in the beer trading world is very high and my extra bottles of this stuff should yield some great brews in return.

Anchor's 2008 Christmas Ale was one of my favorites from Saturday's tasting. The body on it was so damn thick and extremely smooth. The smell is out of this world and very Christmas-y. I wasn't big on the 2006, and did enjoy the 2007 but this one blows the other two away. I highly recommend this one to everybody here.

We also had a Rogue Imperial Stout from 1995 and it held up pretty damn well considering how old it is. I also cracked open the Redhook Double Black Stout which was pretty decent. Had a nice aroma to it and a great presence of coffee, but the body was too thin. Had that not been the case, the flavors I do believe would have been more present and would have provided for an overall good beer. I also picked up a bottle of the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock so we gave that one a whirl too. Very good and interesting with the hints of Cocoa and vanilla. I wouldn't pay 16 for a bottle of it again, but if it were reasonably priced I'd definitely pick some up for a second tasting.

The disappointment of the evening was the Brew Dog Paradox Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. I forget what barrel was used (they make several types of this beer with different barrels they age them in) but christ.... this beer was so damn smokey it tasted like liquid beef jerky! Pass on this one.

Genghis John
November 24th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Firestone Twelve was OUTSTANDING! This one is extremely complex but ever so brilliant. Notes of vanilla, tobacco, leather, and chocolate immediately come to mind accompanied by quite an alcohol presence. Perhaps it wasn't worth the $20 dollar for a bottle, but its value in the beer trading world is very high and my extra bottles of this stuff should yield some great brews in return.

I am aging my other one. It's good but I agree not worth the $20.

mitchrock
November 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Az, I agree with your assessment on the Red Hook Double Black Stout. Liked the coffee taste, the body was weak. Will stick with Lagunitas Cappucino Stout. Much better brew.

BeerMan
November 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Pyramid's Thunderhead IPA
http://www.seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_clint/thunderheadipa.jpg

I picked this up at Ralph's the other day. never heard of it, all I could associate Pyramid with is their hefeweizens. so, being a huge fan of IPA, I just had to give it a try.

a hint of spice with some dry hops, with a sweet finish. not bad, not bad at all.

I'll still rate Longhammer IPA above this one.

Stormy2213
December 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Anchor's 2008 Christmas Ale was one of my favorites from Saturday's tasting. The body on it was so damn thick and extremely smooth. The smell is out of this world and very Christmas-y. I wasn't big on the 2006, and did enjoy the 2007 but this one blows the other two away. I highly recommend this one to everybody here.

Bogey just turned me on to this thread - where the hell have I had my head?

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from the Paso Robles Firestone Brewery so I'll start posting when they put something special out. I'm sure you're aware a lot of that "special" stuff will never see a bottle and only be available at the brewery. I'll try and stay on top of those and post.

And just to note, the Anchor Our Christmas Ale for this year is spectacular. I had 2 pints at Spikes in SLO the other night and was literally transported. Always look forward to what the brewers at Anchor are going to present for their Christmas Ale and I can't recall a year I've been letdown, ever.

I've also been pouring the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale down my gob an awful lot these last couple of weeks. Stocking up a case at a time and it's like a magnet for me. I can "hear" it in the fridge, calling my name come 4:30 everyday.

Glad Bogey pointed me in the right direction. Some serious beer guys here and man, nothing I like talking about more than beer - well, maybe hockey.

Stormy2213
December 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM

One of the best American browns available. Like most, if not all, of the Sierra Nevada line, it's just a very well made and tasty brew IMO. Makes a great session ale. Can be had on tap at The Shack in SLO.

Stormy2213
December 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Curious if anybody has tried the Green Flash Imperial IPA? I had it on tap for the first time a few nights ago and I'm normally a hop head for the most part, but man, I found this stuff to be awful. It may have been a bad batch or something but jeez, I was blown away at how bad it tasted. Anybody else have a similar experience?

mitchrock
December 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Curious if anybody has tried the Green Flash Imperial IPA? I had it on tap for the first time a few nights ago and I'm normally a hop head for the most part, but man, I found this stuff to be awful. It may have been a bad batch or something but jeez, I was blown away at how bad it tasted. Anybody else have a similar experience?

HAven't tried it. Just tried Green Flash Le Freak. Great stuff, simlar to Stone's Cali-Belgique, just a little lighter.

Another good bet right now is He'brew 12 Jewbilation. Hearty brew. Full of flavor, don't notice the 12% alcohol in it.

Stormy2213
December 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
HAven't tried it. Just tried Green Flash Le Freak. Great stuff, simlar to Stone's Cali-Belgique, just a little lighter.

Another good bet right now is He'brew 12 Jewbilation. Hearty brew. Full of flavor, don't notice the 12% alcohol in it.

Making a run to Sandy's in SLO tomorrow to stock up on all the holiday brews. I LOVE this time of year for beer. I'll seek the Jewbilation out and grab some if they carry it. I'm also hoping for the Scaldis Christmas brew and anything else out of the ordinary.

One thing I used to be able to get in the 80's was the Christmas brew Dos Equis made, Noche Buena ( may have been Buena Noche?). I haven't been able to find that forever. I have no recollection on whether it was good or not but always liked that I could buy a Mexican Christmas beer. Anybody know if they still make it?

DougW8
December 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Making a run to Sandy's in SLO tomorrow to stock up on all the holiday brews. I LOVE this time of year for beer. I'll seek the Jewbilation out and grab some if they carry it. I'm also hoping for the Scaldis Christmas brew and anything else out of the ordinary.

One thing I used to be able to get in the 80's was the Christmas brew Dos Equis made, Noche Buena ( may have been Buena Noche?). I haven't been able to find that forever. I have no recollection on whether it was good or not but always liked that I could buy a Mexican Christmas beer. Anybody know if they still make it?

The beer is still made, just not shipped to the U.S. anymore.

http://mexicanfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/noche-buena-mexican-christmas-beer.jpg

Stormy2213
December 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Just finished a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, one of my ale time fav brews, but for the game I bought a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottle of Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing. I normally get the "bomber" sized bottles this comes in but couldn't pass up the smaller sized portions. I highly recommend this Belgian Style Abbey Ale to those of you who haven't discovered it. Nice malty nose, raisiny/plum notes, very much in the Belgian Abbey Ale style. Reminds me of a Chimay Blue but the thing I love the most is that North Coast Brewing makes a contribution to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz for every bottle they sell.

Stormy2213
December 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Changed my mind. Just found a 1pt. 9.4 oz bottle of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale from last year buried in my fridge. Going to bring that up to cellar temp and pour! Oh man, this is going to rock.

EDIT: Oh, wow, WOW! This is some phenomenal stuff. This makes me ALMOST want to move to Wattou and join the brothers in their brewing efforts. I want to be pickled in this when I die.

mitchrock
December 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Just finished a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, one of my ale time fav brews, but for the game I bought a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottle of Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewing. I normally get the "bomber" sized bottles this comes in but couldn't pass up the smaller sized portions. I highly recommend this Belgian Style Abbey Ale to those of you who haven't discovered it. Nice malty nose, raisiny/plum notes, very much in the Belgian Abbey Ale style. Reminds me of a Chimay Blue but the thing I love the most is that North Coast Brewing makes a contribution to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz for every bottle they sell.

Big fan of Celebration ale myself. Thinking of picking up a 12 pack so I well stocked.

Azagthoth
December 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Changed my mind. Just found a 1pt. 9.4 oz bottle of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale from last year buried in my fridge. Going to bring that up to cellar temp and pour! Oh man, this is going to rock.

EDIT: Oh, wow, WOW! This is some phenomenal stuff. This makes me ALMOST want to move to Wattou and join the brothers in their brewing efforts. I want to be pickled in this when I die.

I had an 07 St. Bernardus Christmas Ale that I bought from Lone Hill Liquor and it was absolutely phenomenal! It ages nicely that is for damn sure. I stocked up on a lot of archived Belgian Xmas ales from Lone Hill Liquor and I would say that the N'ICE Chouffe and St. Bernardus were by far the best. I wasn't big on the Gulden Draak Vintage. The Affligem Noel was amazing, and I still have several left to try. The Canaster Winterscotch was a bit of a letdown unfortunately.....

mitchrock
December 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Fell in love with The Abyss by Dechutes last night. Love the coffee, chocolate, caramel taste.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/TheAbyss_bottle.gif

Picked up Jolly Pumpkin / N?gne-? / Stone Special Holiday Ale. Have not tried it yet.

Azagthoth
December 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Fell in love with The Abyss by Dechutes last night. Love the coffee, chocolate, caramel taste.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/TheAbyss_bottle.gif

Picked up Jolly Pumpkin / N?gne-? / Stone Special Holiday Ale. Have not tried it yet.

Where did you pick up The Abyss at? That is one of my alltime favorites!!!

The collaboration holiday ale is fantastic ! Very unique and you can really taste all 3 breweries in each sip.

Stormy2213
December 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I had an 07 St. Bernardus Christmas Ale that I bought from Lone Hill Liquor and it was absolutely phenomenal! It ages nicely that is for damn sure. I stocked up on a lot of archived Belgian Xmas ales from Lone Hill Liquor and I would say that the N'ICE Chouffe and St. Bernardus were by far the best. I wasn't big on the Gulden Draak Vintage. The Affligem Noel was amazing, and I still have several left to try. The Canaster Winterscotch was a bit of a letdown unfortunately.....

I have a couple of bottles of La Chouffe left over from last year as well! I need to stock up on this year's model and stash for next year. And I need to find more St. Bernardus. Spikes didn't have any but there is a cheese shop here in Paso Robles that sometimes gets it. Tonight I've got the Brother Thelonious or St. Bernardus Prior 8 to choose from. I love my options.

dgrycan
December 17th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Celebration Ale is very tasty this year. I only picked up a sixer - and only two left. :(

Azagthoth
December 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Celebration Ale is very tasty this year. I only picked up a sixer - and only two left. :(

Always a holiday favorite, and it ages very well too ! We still pick up 2006 Celebration Ales that totally rock. They're more malty and less hop, but its all good :)

roenick
December 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
We had a neighborhood Xmas party last night where we went to three houses for three course meal and gift exchange. It was awesome. Good food, good company and we got 7" snow during the evening so it made it very festive and put us all in the christmas mood.

Got to try this from Deshutes Brewery in Oregon.

http://www.emailbrain.com/eb_members/26693/ftp/Jubelale08_sq.jpg

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2007/graphics/111507hh2.jpg

Can't find a good picture of the bottle on the web but that is the label and the brew.

mitchrock
December 21st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Drinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga right now. Nice sweet brew.

BeerMan
December 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
the Flying Dog IPA is pretty good.

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Drinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga right now. Nice sweet brew.

I had one of those not that long ago and it was way too drinkable for a barleywine haha. Great stuff man! I'd definitely buy some again.

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I have been hooked on Goose Island's Stockyard Stout as of late. Such an amazing session beer and only $6/6 pack.

I had the Nils Oscar and Dick's Imperial Stouts and they were ok, nothing much to write home about. Kind of hard to agree on them being Imperial Stouts, considering they fall somewhere in the 7% ABV category. Beer Valley's "Leafer Madness" was another new one I tried over the weekend and I wasn't too impressed. They call it an Imperial Pale Ale, but it was definitely past its peak.

Just picked up the Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog, Boris from Alpine which is a Russian Imperial Stout, and also grabbed Fred from Hair of the Dog.

psychopuck
December 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
This stuff is one of the best Holiday brews yet. Some Bev-Mos had it , but they're out @ HB & Cypress. Mitch brought some over last week & I've been searching for more.

http://blog.stonebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/specialholidaybottles.jpg

Salty Dog
December 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Celebration Ale is very tasty this year. I only picked up a sixer - and only two left. :(I bought a sixer and wasn't very impressed this year. Usually I really like their stuff, but there's still 3 bottles left and I haven't felt like drinking them. I did enjoy the Alaskan Winter Ale though. Made with real spruce tips so you know it's gotta be good!

Alaskan Brewing Company - Our Brew - Alaskan Winter Ale (http://www.alaskanbeer.com/winter.html)

BeerMan
December 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
This stuff is one of the best Holiday brews yet. Some Bev-Mos had it , but they're out @ HB & Cypress. Mitch brought some over last week & I've been searching for more.

http://blog.stonebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/specialholidaybottles.jpg

what beer is this? it's hard to read the labels in the pic.

Azagthoth
December 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
what beer is this? it's hard to read the labels in the pic.

Stone/Nogne O/Jolly Pumpkin collaboration holiday brew.

It's fantastic!

psychopuck
December 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Stone/Nogne O/Jolly Pumpkin collaboration holiday brew.

It's fantastic!

Ya, what he said. Sorry about that. KJ would love this. This is holidays in a bottle.

Genghis John
December 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Ya, what he said. Sorry about that. KJ would love this. This is holidays in a bottle.

I have been trying to find that... :lostit:

Azagthoth
December 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I have been trying to find that... :lostit:

Lone Hill :)

mitchrock
December 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
BevMo in Cypress has a butload of Stone's Holiday. Go get it.

SirJW
December 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6936/pbrog1.jpg

Sorry had to do it.

BeerMan
December 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
BevMo in Cypress has a butload of Stone's Holiday. Go get it.

and none at the Van Nuys BevMo ****hole. the clueless as always staff there have been helpless, as always. I would have to make a trek over the hill to the WeHo store, but not anytime soon.

SirJW
December 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Whole Foods has a lots of season craft brews right now...

rinkrat
December 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone tried Budweiser Ale? it looks like they ae going after the craft beers.

Genghis John
December 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Anyone tried Budweiser Ale? it looks like they ae going after the craft beers.

It's better than you'd expect. It's like a poor man's fat tire.

rinkrat
December 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I've been getting Nectar IPA at Ralph's on sale and it's real nice. Good thick IPA taste with a little sweetness like honey or something. Knocks you on your ass too, :)

http://www.nectarales.com/template_images/ipa_nectar_label.jpg

DougW8
December 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I finally made it out to Lonehill Liquors, which Az has been raving about. The place is overwhelming to say the least. Makes Bevmo's selection look like a local convenience store. Didn't go overboard today, since I'm pretty well stocked up, so I stuck to a few of my favorites and one that has slipped my by for a few years now.

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
Ommegang 10th Anniversary Chocolate Indulgence
Yulesmith Holiday Ale
Blind Pig IPA
Pliny the Elder (Have been meaning to try this for quite some time.)

Looked for the Stone Holiday, but didn't see it. Otherwise, just an incredible selection.

BeerMan
December 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Vondrome's Liquor in Toluca Lake has better selections than BevMo in Van Nuys. I wonder why I bother going to that VN store.

Azagthoth
December 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The Cappuccino Stout is killer Doug ! Did you happen to see Stan there?

DougW8
December 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
The Cappuccino Stout is killer Doug ! Did you happen to see Stan there?

Stan was not there today. Yeah, love the Cappuccino Stout, and have been looking for it recently. Had some of the Ommegang last year, and never made it back to Liquorama for more, so I was happy to get some of that as well.

mitchrock
December 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
HAd Capuccino Stout today on tap at Beachwood BBQ. Also has Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter oak from the cask. Stellar beer.

The BevMo in Cypress got a lot of stone in stock. Just drank a 2006 Russian Imperial Stout. Like how it aged.

Genghis John
January 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.brewbasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/north-coast-old-stock-ale-2007-2008.JPG

Good **** Maynard

mitchrock
January 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
BevMo in Cypress has some of Stone's Cali-Belgique in stock. Great stuff. Probably my favorite Stone beer.

To The King!
January 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_afCYDGKZ6gQ/SA63eNexMOI/AAAAAAAAAY4/EY6LRu2wy3s/s400/Lobotomy_Bock.jpg

Genghis John
January 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_afCYDGKZ6gQ/SA63eNexMOI/AAAAAAAAAY4/EY6LRu2wy3s/s400/Lobotomy_Bock.jpg

Even if it has been, it's all good
Posted via miniature horse

King Taco
January 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
HOLY ****, I just had a Moinette. I said G'damn, G'damn, G'damn...! It is mighty delicious with a cool caramel aftertaste.

jdkings24
January 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Pabst N.A.:kingsgirl:

Arrogant Ba$tard
January 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Even if it has been, it's all good
Posted via miniature horse

I will be drinking a lot of that in a few months. The Furnace Creek Inn in Death Valley carries it along with a Pale. Good stuff in the hot valley.

Tre West
January 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I just found a fantastic beer.

6.9% Alc.

Probably hard to find.

Anderson Valley Brewing Company: "Winter Solstice" Seasonal Ale.

THE BOMB!

Genghis John
January 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I just found a fantastic beer.

6.9% Alc.

Probably hard to find.

Anderson Valley Brewing Company: "Winter Solstice" Seasonal Ale.

THE BOMB!
Great beer. Stock up. It's seasonal and is going to be gone for the year very soon

Tre West
January 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Great beer. Stock up. It's seasonal and is going to be gone for the year very soon

I went to BevMo today, and found it by the 6 pack. So they still have it.

Tonight..... I will be happy.

BeerMan
January 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
over the weekend I had:
Rogue's Santa Reserve
TJ's Winterfest 2005

they're both great stuff, Maynard.

Stormy2213
January 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
over the weekend I had:
Rogue's Santa Reserve
TJ's Winterfest 2005

they're both great stuff, Maynard.

Agreed. And if you can still find it grab some cases of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Anchor Steam Our Christmas Ale. Both age nicely if you don't drink them soon.

Over the holidays I picked up a 6 pack of St. Bernardus Prior 8 and honestly, I wasn't impressed. The nose was fantastic but I found the flavor to be really lacking in any complexity - well, for that matter, it was really pretty boring. It wasn't what I expected after the wonderful aromas upon pouring. Oh well. It's not bathwater so the 3 I still have will be sitting in the fridge for one of those nights where I, heaven forbid, am out of beer.

Today I picked up a 12 pack of the Sierra Nevada ESB (Early Spring Beer) and yes, Spring has gotten here awfully early this year. It's been in the 80s in Templeton for over a week and today it hit 83. I just poured the first one and the hop aroma is very nice. Not too overpowering. And yes, oh yea, first sip confirms this is going to be a nice 12 pack. Good bitterness, really nice malt after the hop hit, mouthfeel is really nice. Reminds me of having a really fresh Bass Ale in London except with quite a bit more hops on top. Hey. I like this. I need to take a drive to Chico and spend some time at the brewery. Any Chico based LGKers?? It's been too long since I was last up there. Anyway, try and find it. I highly recommend to all you ale/Sierra Nevada lovers. Quality stuff.

BeerMan
January 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Agreed. And if you can still find it grab some cases of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Anchor Steam Our Christmas Ale. Both age nicely if you don't drink them soon.

I've had both. gave them a couple of years. they turned out great.

Genghis John
January 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/679.jpg

Nothing fro North Coast has ever disapointed me. This beer rules. I would put it up there with the 08-08-08 from Stone. Grab a 4 pack of this

Azagthoth
January 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM

Nothing fro North Coast has ever disapointed me. This beer rules. I would put it up there with the 08-08-08 from Stone. Grab a 4 pack of this

Oh man that is a great beer! It is much too easy to finish a 4 pack of those damn things, and you'll regret it the next morning! However, it is worth it :)

North Coast is criminally underrated.

Maddogg420
January 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM

Oh man, the 08-08-08 is insane. I'll have to try this North Coast stuff of which you speak.

Azagthoth
January 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, the 8-8-08 was pretty damn good. I didn't think much of the previous vertical epics, but the 08 blew me away!

Genghis John
January 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah, the 8-8-08 was pretty damn good. I didn't think much of the previous vertical epics, but the 08 blew me away!

I am aging a few and drink one every year(starting with 1/1/09) on New Years.
I will tell you that it did get better since August. I am really looking forward to 1/1/10 to see how much better it gets with age

BeerMan
January 24th, 2009, 03:49 AM
http://www.stonebrew.com/10th/images/newslettergarg.jpeg

if you still have this, go pour it in a chilled mug and enjoy.

Maddogg420
January 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Just had the Stone Cali-Belgie IPA. As my kitteh would say.. .NOM NOM NOM. Blend of west coast IPA with Belgian Ale. Hoppy, hearty, not too dry.

mitchrock
January 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Just downed a Double bastard. BURP!

Salty Dog
January 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Just downed a Double bastard. BURP!
I just downed a Double Chocolate Stout (Young's).

mitchrock
January 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I just downed a Double Chocolate Stout (Young's).

Good stuff

Salty Dog
February 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
If you like hoppy beers, you gotta give this one a try:

http://www.victorybeer.com/images/beer_hd.jpg

Had it at the Yard House the other night, very good and full of hops. They also had Tetleys on tap, which I haven't seen for a long time. Another damn fine beer.

Yesterday I got to try this also:
http://beernews.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/stone-sublimely-self-righteous.png
Very nice.

Azagthoth
February 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I tried 20 new beers on Saturday night. The highlights were definitely Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien and the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout! Stellar brews for sure.

I don't agree with the FKBS being in the top 10 overall on beer advocate, but it was still a damn good one that I could put down anytime/anyplace. I also picked up the Expedition Stout and Hopslam from Bell's over the weekend. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA was phenomenal, and also grabbed Southern Tier's Choklat which is going to be saved for a special occasion :) Tis one of my favorites!