PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Just chiming in here that the Kern River Brewing Just Outstanding IPA is exactly that. It's like a slightly less bitter Pliny the Elder. Easier to drink on a hot day at the pool.

Azagthoth
September 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
It's like a slightly less bitter Pliny the Elder.

Perfect comparison!

psychopuck
September 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I had one of these last night. Very good balance of flavors with a hint of citrus. I will be going back for more.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/harvest-SOHEM_bottle.jpg

mitchrock
September 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I had one of these last night. Very good balance of flavors with a hint of citrus. I will going back for more.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/harvest-SOHEM_bottle.jpg

Love that beer!

Bogey
September 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Beer tasting tonight was organic ales from a Vermont brewery called Wolaver's.

Otter Creek - Wolaver's (http://www.ottercreekbrewing.com/wolavers.html)

1. Pale ale
2. India pale ale
3. Pumpkin ale
4. Brown ale
5. Oatmeal stout

First taste of the pale ale and I was on board.
They described it as creamy and malty with a hoppy finish.
Hoppy often times equals bitter.
Not this one.
Bought a six pack.

The India pale ale was similar but with a hint of spicy.
Also very good.

The pumpkin ale was right in line with the other two.

The brown ale had more of the bitter hoppy finish that I'm not a fan of and the oatmeal stout tasted like they scooped out a porta-potty and stuck a cigar in it.

psychopuck
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Where was the tasting at?

Bogey
September 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
Where was the tasting at?Whole Foods market El Segundo.

Beer tasting every Sunday and Monday, 5-7PM.
Usually they have the same event both days.

Tue-Sat they have wine tasting, also 5-7PM.

Each is accompanied by a decent spread of eats and often, if you stay long enough, one of the dudes there whips us some paninis.

$5 for beer tasting, $10 for wine.

Well worth it.

BeerMan
September 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
I really need to get into the beer tastings. unholygoalie has been trying to get me into it at Vendome's. someday, bud, someday.

Azagthoth
September 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
and the oatmeal stout tasted like they scooped out a porta-potty and stuck a cigar in it.

Don't give up on stouts yet, trust me. You'll develop a taste for them over time. I hated stouts in the beginning, but now a Russian Imperial Stout at 10% ABV + is a preferred & easy drinking brew that I would consume daily if I had the opportunity to.

Bogey
September 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Don't give up on stouts yet, trust me. You'll develop a taste for them over time. I hated stouts in the beginning, but now a Russian Imperial Stout at 10% ABV + is a preferred & easy drinking brew that I would consume daily if I had the opportunity to.I won't give up on stouts.

Had a very nice oatmeal stout at the Manhattan Beach Brewery a couple weeks ago.

Wolaver's was just nasty.

UnholyGoalie
September 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
My first stout was Guinness, which I've found is about as easy going as it comes. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is yummy and basically just like Guinness with a dark chocolate aftertaste. Moylans Dragoons Dry Irish Stout may just be my favorite, right up there with Stone Russian Imperial Stout, but Dragoons is smoother and not as intense. Lagunitas Cappucino Stout was very nice.

Had a sixer of Shipyard Pumpkin Ale last weekend. First pumpkin beer of the season, woooohooooo!!! Tasted just like a faint pumpkin pie with the characteristic cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. I liked it but I had another pumpkin beer last year that I remember being better with a stronger beer presence and a pumpkin base without tasting like pumpkin pie.

Edit: OOOH! If you can get your hands on Victory Storm King, try it!

Azagthoth
September 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
My first stout was Guinness, which I've found is about as easy going as it comes. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is yummy and basically just like Guinness with a dark chocolate aftertaste. Moylans Dragoons Dry Irish Stout may just be my favorite, right up there with Stone Russian Imperial Stout, but Dragoons is smoother and not as intense. Lagunitas Cappucino Stout was very nice.

Had a sixer of Shipyard Pumpkin Ale last weekend. First pumpkin beer of the season, woooohooooo!!! Tasted just like a faint pumpkin pie with the characteristic cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. I liked it but I had another pumpkin beer last year that I remember being better with a stronger beer presence and a pumpkin base without tasting like pumpkin pie.

Ahhh, good ole' Storm King :) That is some seriously good stuff! Elysian's "Night Owl" is easily the best pumpkin beer that I've had. Try out The Bruery's "Autumn Maple" for a great fall beer. It literally smells like Thanksgiving! Maple syrup, molasses, spices, & yams :) :) :)

That Cappucino Stout from Lagunitas is one of the greatest out there, and for 4 bucks a pop last time I checked! It's insane how cheap that stuff is, and I would gladly dish out $10 for a bomber of that stuff.

Chateau Bow Wow
September 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Guinness 250: Brewery celebrates anniversary - Sep. 24, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/24/news/companies/guinness_250_anniversary/index.htm?postversion=2009092414)

Maybe I'll drink a Guiness tonight to help celebrate.

nick_nautious
September 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Guinness 250: Brewery celebrates anniversary - Sep. 24, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/24/news/companies/guinness_250_anniversary/index.htm?postversion=2009092414)

Maybe I'll drink a Guiness tonight to help celebrate.

regular guiness is better than the 250th edition fyi and alot cheaper

UnholyGoalie
September 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The one pint of Guinness 250th I had left me disappointed. Don't feel the need to revisit it when regular Guinness always hits the spot.

UnholyGoalie
September 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/xbssi.jpg
Deschutes Black Butte Porter – This beer poured out a very dark brown with a redish hue when put up to light. The aroma was dark and heavy on the malts and I expected a very good drinking experience. The taste was just as the aroma. Heavy on the malt with a sweet chocolate tone. There was a slightly bright bitterness in the finish but this has receded and it’s very smooth. I’ve never really had an impulse to use “bready” as a description before but that sums up this beer very well. Superb! This is definitely going in the top 5!

Azagthoth
September 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/xbssi.jpg
Deschutes Black Butte Porter ? This beer poured out a very dark brown with a redish hue when put up to light. The aroma was dark and heavy on the malts and I expected a very good drinking experience. The taste was just as the aroma. Heavy on the malt with a sweet chocolate tone. There was a slightly bright bitterness in the finish but this has receded and it?s very smooth. I?ve never really had an impulse to use ?bready? as a description before but that sums up this beer very well. Superb! This is definitely going in the top 5!

This is one of the best, and most underrated beers on the market! Aside from its greatness, it is so cool that you can get a 6'er of it at most supermarkets for under $10 bucks! Convenient and readily available :) It's awesome that it's a 5.5% ABV brew, making it a great session beer. Full bodied, lacks nothing, and easier to put down than so many other beers. It's definitely an all year round beer too. Hot summer late afternoon? Refreshing! Cold winter night? Fitting!

Azagthoth
September 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I had Victory's "Baltic Thunder" and that was good stuff! I've never had a Baltic Porter, and it was truly a great first time experience. I also had the Sierra Nevada "Estate Brewer's Harvest Ale" which was pretty damn good, but not worth $10.99. I understand why it was priced so high (all the ingredients came from the SN estate) but still, not worth the price. Their regular harvest ale is far better in both terms of overall drinkability and price.

Highly recommended is the John Henry "3 Lick Spiker Ale"! I was blown away by this stuff! It's an American Strong Ale that uses bourbon chips of some sort during the process. I say that, because I am pretty sure it wasn't barrel aged, but definitely had the barrel aged taste! Simply delicious and you would have no idea it was 9.1% ABV. Too damn good and easy to put down!

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Finally cracked open a Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron that I've had for about a year and a half. It was amazing! The perfect blend of malt, woodyness and muted alcohol punch. At 12% ABV, I was expecting it to taste more like a barleywine. KJ/OBJ was right. This beer kicks ass.

rinkrat
October 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
The 7/11 was out of Newcastle so I tried Shock Top.

It tasted like rotten celery, I swear. Terrible beer. Looking closer at the lable it says it's brewed by Michelob.

Avoid if possible!

Crapgame13
October 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It was Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale. You might not have seen it because it was at the bottom of my post that day, and I didn't have a pic of the bottle/label, like I did for all the others I listed. I believe my sister picked that one up at Hi Time, so I don't know if it's readily available everywhere, but you should be able to find it at a decent shop.

BevMo carries this

just back from Philly..if you can't have it on draft, it's the next best thing

erastus
October 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm really digging the "Hoptober" by New Belgium Breweries.

Stormy2213
October 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
FYI, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is out already, at least up here in SLO County. Seems awfully early in the season but given that this is my all-time favorite beer, I'm certainly not complaining! 2 12-packs in the fridge, short 3 bottles that I had last night. Damn good stuff. I can't wait for the colder nighttime weather. It just seems weird to be having a Celebration Ale when it's still 70 degrees outside.

soyokaze
October 26th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Stormy2213: Totally agree with you on this one. Another freaking gem from the folks at Sierra Nevada! Slightly hoppy, but smooth going down and does not leave a hoppy bitter aftertaste either! Strangely enough, I found this at Target in North Hollywood. I think it's Victory and Lankershim? Right next to the Payless and Popeyes. I was surprised to see this there, so I ended up picking up two 6-ers.

Azagthoth
October 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Celebration Ale is one of the greatest ever.

Stormy2213
October 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Celebration Ale is THE greatest ever.

ftfy:drinks:

Azagthoth
October 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
ftfy:drinks:

Cheers to that!

The Bigfoot still reigns over everything to me, but Celebration is always a safe bet :)

Azagthoth
October 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I went to The Bruery's "Black Tuesday" release last night and was able to get 3 bottles! I was 9th in a line of over 300 people! It was a hell of a turnout, and these bottles are already up at $100/bottle on e-bay. The hype for this beer is insane, but rightfully deserved in my opinion. I was able to get a taste of it in the tasting room last night, and at 19.5% ABV you would have absolutely no idea, as it is very well masked! This beer is for those who, like myself, consider ales like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout the standard for all beers :) This thing is a monster with 4 balls. If you are into stuff that is above and beyond, and just over the top - seek this beer! If you like bourbon barrel aged beers - hunt this one down!

I am sure they sold all of it last night, since there were only 1,000 bottles available. The good news though, is that they'll be releasing this again next year. I am going to open up one bottle in the near future with a few buds that want to try it, and will give it my all to let the other two sit at least 5 years to see what some age does to them. They'll be just fine considering they're almost 20%ABV, and it will be interesting to see what time does with them.

I also had the Two Turtle Doves on tap and that was delicious! I need to re-evaluate it, since I sampled that after the Black Tuesday. It's a Belgian Dark ale with toasted pecans and wow!!! It's a must have is all I can really say and I expect it to be even better with a fresh palate.

Chocolate Rain out of the cask was also brilliantly done. It's a special version of the Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs. Very chocolatey and comparable to the Southern Tier Choklat (back when it used to be good) but so much smoother and like silk running down the back of your throat. Word has it, that it'll be next year's Black Tuesday release and at 23% ABV!

DRGinLBC
October 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I went to The Bruery's "Black Tuesday" release last night and was able to get 3 bottles! I was 9th in a line of over 300 people! It was a hell of a turnout, and these bottles are already up at $100/bottle on e-bay. The hype for this beer is insane, but rightfully deserved in my opinion. I was able to get a taste of it in the tasting room last night, and at 19.5% ABV you would have absolutely no idea, as it is very well masked! This beer is for those who, like myself, consider ales like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout the standard for all beers :) This thing is a monster with 4 balls. If you are into stuff that is above and beyond, and just over the top - seek this beer! If you like bourbon barrel aged beers - hunt this one down!

I am sure they sold all of it last night, since there were only 1,000 bottles available. The good news though, is that they'll be releasing this again next year. I am going to open up one bottle in the near future with a few buds that want to try it, and will give it my all to let the other two sit at least 5 years to see what some age does to them. They'll be just fine considering they're almost 20%ABV, and it will be interesting to see what time does with them.

I also had the Two Turtle Doves on tap and that was delicious! I need to re-evaluate it, since I sampled that after the Black Tuesday. It's a Belgian Dark ale with toasted pecans and wow!!! It's a must have is all I can really say and I expect it to be even better with a fresh palate.

Chocolate Rain out of the cask was also brilliantly done. It's a special version of the Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs. Very chocolatey and comparable to the Southern Tier Choklat (back when it used to be good) but so much smoother and like silk running down the back of your throat. Word has it, that it'll be next year's Black Tuesday release and at 23% ABV!

I was around the middle of that line. When I got to the register (4 hours later), there were 200 bottles left. They did end up selling out with about 100 people still in line. I would have been PISSED! The wife and I both picked up 3 bottles. Looking forward to cracking one next weekend with a buddy of mine. The other...will age away.

That line was stupid. Hopefully they learn from this years turnout and use that knowledge for next years release. And hopefully when they say to start forming a line at 4:30 next time, people will actually follow that rule. That was directed toward you. :)

Enjoy!

Azagthoth
October 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I didn't start the line, so whatever :)

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Had a Firestone Walker Black Xantus on tap last weekend in Santa Barbara. Black Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels. Very limited run. They did one keg for Union Alehouse. It was $18 for a half pint. Bourbon and coffee with a hint of cherry.

mitchrock
November 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Had a Firestone Walker Black Xantus on tap last weekend in Santa Barbara. Black Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels. Very limited run. They did one keg for Union Alehouse. It was $18 for a half pint. Bourbon and coffee with a hint of cherry.

But was it any good?

Fooferah
November 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
LOL nice one AZ!

I’d done a little research about Partridge in a Pear Tree, and was truly amazed by the beer scholarship out there.

“The bourbon is ever so forthcoming as the fruit and syrupy counterparts ambush the palate only as the bourbon begins to etiolate,” someone named azagthoth rhapsodized on beeradvocate.com. “The butterscotch and toffee sanction the back end of the sip while leaving you absolutely enthralled.”

If you can interpret what azagthoth said, please let me know.

In the Register today. Are hand-crafted beers worth the price? - Fast Food Maven : The Orange County Register (http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/17/booze-on-a-budget-are-hand-crafted-beers-worth-the-price/42161/)

mitchrock
November 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Can anyone interpret Az?

Azagthoth
November 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
But was it any good?

Black Xantus was quite a let down IMO.

Azagthoth
November 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Oh ****! I'll have to e-mail this guy, as that was indeed my review BUT he took it from my Barrel Aged Partridge In A Pear Tree review (hence me mentioning bourbon) and not the regular version of Partridge In A Pear Tree. No wonder the guy was thrown off, haha!

Jeeze, I only wrote that review on the beer a few days back. That was quick!

nick_nautious
November 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
had a 6 pack of this... not bad for a xmas style brew
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/ANCHOR.jpg

Stormy2213
November 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
had a 6 pack of this... not bad for a xmas style brew
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/ANCHOR.jpg

Ha, another all-time holiday favorite. I haven't seen it in stores up here yet. I'll have to take a run to Sandy's in SLO later today to see if they got any. I always love the Anchor Holiday brew as a counter to the massive quantities of SN Celebration I drink. The malty spiciness of the Anchor is ALWAYS very satisfying on a cold night sitting by the fire. Always. When I get back I'll post any of the other holiday brews that I find.

UnholyGoalie
November 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Had a few new ones (to me) last night at a bar. Unibroue Chambly Blonde (I think the name was). White ale, very nice. Good flavor and spice without beating me over the head with intense spice the way many others of this style do. Unibroue Chambly Noir, quite nice, dark, and flavorful. I liked! And to top it off, Belhaven Scottish style Ale. Bliss in a glass! MMmmmmmm!

DougW8
November 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm heading to Pittsburgh next week and plan to check out a few brews that I don't find out here. I noticed several of the restaurants serve beers from Great Lakes. In particular I've noticed the Elliot Ness and the Burning River. Anyone here try them? Suggestions on other beers from Eastern based breweries?

mitchrock
November 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
You'll have to let us knowhow they are Doug.

Went to Stone World Bistro on Saturday. Had the Sawyers's Tripel from the 22 oz bottle. Not the best tripel. Was missing the sweet aftertaste I usually get from a tripel. An okay brew.

Had the Levitation served from the cask an it was amazing! Probably the best thing I've had there yet.

Filled up my growlers with Cali-Belgique and Ruination.

Azagthoth
November 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm heading to Pittsburgh next week and plan to check out a few brews that I don't find out here. I noticed several of the restaurants serve beers from Great Lakes. In particular I've noticed the Elliot Ness and the Burning River. Anyone here try them? Suggestions on other beers from Eastern based breweries?

Immediately comes to mind:

Smuttynose
Southampton
Brooklyn
Arcadia
New Holland
Weyerbacher

Great Lakes cranks out some fantastic ales, but I haven't had the two that you mentioned.

Azagthoth
November 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM
You'll have to let us knowhow they are Doug.

Went to Stone World Bistro on Saturday. Had the Sawyers's Tripel from the 22 oz bottle. Not the best tripel. Was missing the sweet aftertaste I usually get from a tripel. An okay brew.

Had the Levitation served from the cask an it was amazing! Probably the best thing I've had there yet.

Filled up my growlers with Cali-Belgique and Ruination.

The re-brew of Sawyer's Tripel isn't nearly as good as the original was. Levitation on cask would be interesting!

DougW8
November 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Immediately comes to mind:

Smuttynose
Southampton
Brooklyn
Arcadia
New Holland
Weyerbacher

Great Lakes cranks out some fantastic ales, but I haven't had the two that you mentioned.

I'm already on the lookout for Brooklyn since I have had some of their beers in the past. Thanks for the suggestions.

BeerMan
November 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM

I had the Shipyard Pumpkin the other day. great stuff. also tried the Storm King. another great stuff.

DMAN3474
November 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
i am to lazy to look through 130 pages so if anyone posted this before... well just deal because i love this beer

http://www.gooseisland.com/filebin/images/products/full/bourbon-county-stout-new.jpg
http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/bourbon_county_stout/59.php

Stormy2213
December 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm starting to sink my teeth into all the holiday offerings of late with a heavy emphasis on Celebration Ale and Anchor's Holiday Ale. But I've got a few large bottles stashed that I started to hit last night. I figured I'd start with the first one I grabbed and that was the Affligem Noel Christmas Ale (750 ml bottle). Knowing from previous years that once I popped the cork that I'd have a major overflow of foam, I opened this one over the sink. I wasn't let down on the overflow front. I lost a couple of ounces easily. But you aren't reading this b/c you want to know about what happened when I opened it. On to what the beer was all about.

Let's just start by saying that I LOVE Affligem Blond. Easy to drink, flavorful, and great on a hot summer afternoon. But we're in the middle of cold nights and warm fires so my expectations are for a brew that fits in to that sort of atmosphere - heavier, headier, and heartier. With high expectations I sat down by the fire with an imperial pint glass of the Noel Christmas Ale. The smell quickly reminded me of some homebrews I've had over the years - not a bad start. The color was right (of course it was, there is artificial caramel coloring added - says so right there on the label......). The mouth-feel - check. But the flavor. I'm struggling to find the words. I think the best way to put it is with a question - what flavor? What a MAJOR LETDOWN. Boring, no character, no malty goodness, no sweetnes, no spiciness, pretty flat (which was surprising given all the foam spit out at opening) - pretty much a whole lot of nothingness. It was fizzy. It tasted like a Belgian Ale, albeit a very weak and BORING Belgian Ale.

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. Based upon this one bottle I would highly recommend NOT buying this particular Christmas Ale. It's not anywhere near what a Christmas Ale should be like. Not even close.

BTW - I tossed half the bottle b/c it really was so boring that I only drank about half of it over an hour. What a waste of money. Let's hope that the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale is better!

Stormy2213
December 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Next in the holiday lineup....tonight I poured a Bateman's Rosey Nosey Holiday Ale. I wasn't expecting much as the ingredient lineup was fairly pedestrian - Maris Otter pale and crystal malt, wheat malt, and E. Kent Goldings hops. It comes in at 5% ABV so it's hardly a winter warmer. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice orange/brown/red color with the thinnest off white head. Not much on the nose except for a malty sweetness. The mouth-feel is that of a session ale and come to think of it, the flavor works out in that direction as well. Carbonation is nice - it's not a "gassy" ale. Lightly carbonated in fact. Not much in the way of hops in this one - but than again, I'm coming down off of a slight cold so my nose might be off some. Not too bad a beer at all - in fact it's a really enjoyable ale. Malty, nutty, no alcohol burn. I'd drink this again, many times. But overall, not really a holiday ale by my book. Too much like an everyday, I'd drink this after work type ale. But would I recommend this ale? Yes, very much so.

O'Fuego
December 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Anyone in here live in the Seattle area? I think I've seen a couple of you on here. Anyway, if someone would be willing to send me a 6er of Pike's Place Brewery Pale Ale I would obviously pay for it, shipping and comission...but most importantly I would be eternally grateful and buy them a beer next time I'm up there. Thank you in advance.

The Lurker
December 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Heading down to the San Diego area this weekend to finish off the last micro brewpubs that I haven't been to. Alpine Brewing, Ballast Point and maybe Oceanside Aleworks. Will make the mandatory Stone visit of course.

Our longtime family-friend Mark is the brewmaster/owner of Oceanside Ale Works.

I wish I lived further south because their beer is quite good and their Fri/Sat tastings are quite fun. They have a Summerfest and a Winterfest where they have bands/food, etc....

Oceanside Ale Works (http://www.oceansidealeworks.com)

Azagthoth
December 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Next in the holiday lineup....tonight I poured a Bateman's Rosey Nosey Holiday Ale. I wasn't expecting much as the ingredient lineup was fairly pedestrian - Maris Otter pale and crystal malt, wheat malt, and E. Kent Goldings hops. It comes in at 5% ABV so it's hardly a winter warmer. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice orange/brown/red color with the thinnest off white head. Not much on the nose except for a malty sweetness. The mouth-feel is that of a session ale and come to think of it, the flavor works out in that direction as well. Carbonation is nice - it's not a "gassy" ale. Lightly carbonated in fact. Not much in the way of hops in this one - but than again, I'm coming down off of a slight cold so my nose might be off some. Not too bad a beer at all - in fact it's a really enjoyable ale. Malty, nutty, no alcohol burn. I'd drink this again, many times. But overall, not really a holiday ale by my book. Too much like an everyday, I'd drink this after work type ale. But would I recommend this ale? Yes, very much so.

Since you are sampling all of the holiday ales, I would strongly advise against the Ridgeway x-mas beers. They are all utter crap and a complete waste of money! They include the Bad Elf, Insanely Bad Elf, Santa's Butt, etc...

DougW8
December 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Just back from a trip to Pittsburgh. Incredible city and some great food. Spent quite a bit of time on the Southside which is lined with bars. Went to a place called Fatheads on Friday which had a pretty good selection on tap, although a lot were West Coast brew which I avoided. Had some Great Lakes Elliot Ness. Nice ale with just the right amount of hops and a little hint of spice. Upstairs they had a Beer Union store and picked up a few bottles to take back to the hotel. They don't sell beer in grocery stores in the Pittsburgh area, so a little harder to find the bottled brews. Had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. That was one really nice stout. Nice rich brew with great chocolate flavor and perfect for the cold weather. Years ago, I had tried a Brooklyn Brown Ale, and wondered as to whether I would still have the same imprssion as I did back then. Nothing has changed, it still ranks as my favorite Brown Ale. Not as sweet as most of the Brown Ales on the market. Just the right amount of bitterness, made me wish I could bring a case home. The regular beer on tap at most retaurants is either Iron City or Yuengling. Iron City is nothing special, but fits in with the blue class atmoshere of much of the city. Yuengling was a surprise. May not be up with the top micro brews, but for a mass produced beer, it stands out. Nice light amber color, filled with flavor, not watered down like Bud, Coors and the like. One thing I noticed at both Mellon Arena and Heinz field, is that they don't sell what we call Premium Beer. It's either small or large with a large going for $7.75.

gescom
December 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
haven't spent any time reading this recently, so i ask for a bit of a breakdown... anyone got the goods in terms of brews for the Holidays?

i liked the Delirium No?l, so go from there!

Stormy2213
December 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
haven't spent any time reading this recently, so i ask for a bit of a breakdown... anyone got the goods in terms of brews for the Holidays?

i liked the Delirium No?l, so go from there!

Must haves - Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Anchor Merry Christmas Ale.

Avoid - Affligem Noel

OK to have - Bateman's Rosey Nosey

I have St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and Abbey du Val-Dieu Winter Ale in the fridge and will report back on those sometime later this week. Perhaps one of them in the next few hours.

I'd also love to hear about others that are out and possibly available in SLO Country.

BeerMan
December 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07nl4A30Qb8QR/610x.jpg

sorry, had to bring this up again. this is one fine IPA. I am enjoying it right now.

Azagthoth
December 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Just had FW 13. It's too early to compare to the 11 and 12, but so far I like them most in that exact order - 11, 12, then 13. They are all quality barrel aged blended beers that are somewhere between an Imperial Stout and an American Strong Ale and/or barleywine.

The Imperial Stouts and Barleywines have been getting the better part of me lately, during these cold winter days. Also, a heads up on the new Humulus XPA from The Bruery! I have never had a beer at 4.1% ABV that packs in so much hop and flavor that you would swear is at least a 5.5% American Pale Ale. Simply amazing.

DRGinLBC
December 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.kwaree.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/celebrator-doppelbock.jpg

Do it.

BeerMan
December 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.kwaree.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/celebrator-doppelbock.jpg

Do it.

I'll look for that this weekend.

DMAN3474
December 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.coneyislandlager.com/CONEY/ci_hb.jpg

really good beer

Bogey
December 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale

http://www.avbc.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/AVBC_6-Pack_Winter_Solstice.jpg

Malty, creamy, caramel-like goodness.

BleedingPurple
December 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
YUM!

http://beerobsessed.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sierra-nevada-estate.jpg

DMAN3474
December 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
so they had a mini beer tasting at bevmo yesterday (fridays 4-7 at the valencia store) the firestone rep was there. Seven beers $3.

Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Our Pale Ales (http://www.firestonewalker.com/index.php?c=our_pale_ales)

we went through the DBA, pale 31, and union jack. I wasnt a fan of the DBA. the pale 31 was much better, more hops, very smooth but had some good taste to it. out of these three beers the union jack IPA was my favorite.

the firestone rep told me that they own Nectar Ales too. Nectar Ales (http://www.nectarales.com/?page=home) he had the red nectar , and hemp ale out to taste. I didnt like the red nectar, but the hemp ale was quite interesting. It had an almost nutty ending to the taste.

There were two other beers he was tasting, I dont remember the last one (very underwhelming) but the 2nd to last one was great.the Anchor Steam Christmas ale was great Anchor Steam - Anchor Christmas Ale (http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/christmasale.htm) it had a bit of the "pumpkin spice" to it (the cinamon, nutmeg, ginger) but it was a really nice beer. i bought a 6 pack on the spot, and might go get more soon.

go easy on me, i am stil a rookie at figuring out all the flavors in beers and all that jazz.

UnholyGoalie
December 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Anchor's Christmas ale is quite nice! I have a the remains of a sixer of it in my fridge. I had a bottle of Trader Joe's 2009 Christmas Dark Ale last night and it reminded me a lot of Anchor's. My buddy told me it was brewed by Unibroue.

Azagthoth
December 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
so they had a mini beer tasting at bevmo yesterday (fridays 4-7 at the valencia store) the firestone rep was there. Seven beers $3.

Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Our Pale Ales (http://www.firestonewalker.com/index.php?c=our_pale_ales)

we went through the DBA, pale 31, and union jack. I wasnt a fan of the DBA. the pale 31 was much better, more hops, very smooth but had some good taste to it. out of these three beers the union jack IPA was my favorite.

the firestone rep told me that they own Nectar Ales too. Nectar Ales (http://www.nectarales.com/?page=home) he had the red nectar , and hemp ale out to taste. I didnt like the red nectar, but the hemp ale was quite interesting. It had an almost nutty ending to the taste.

There were two other beers he was tasting, I dont remember the last one (very underwhelming) but the 2nd to last one was great.the Anchor Steam Christmas ale was great Anchor Steam - Anchor Christmas Ale (http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/christmasale.htm) it had a bit of the "pumpkin spice" to it (the cinamon, nutmeg, ginger) but it was a really nice beer. i bought a 6 pack on the spot, and might go get more soon.

go easy on me, i am stil a rookie at figuring out all the flavors in beers and all that jazz.

Pretty impressive noentheless! You managed to enjoy most the Union Jack, which is arguably the best of the three Firestone beers you tried. And the Anchor Holiday beers rock, except the 2006. I love this year's, but probably wouldn't go for more than two of them in a sitting.

mitchrock
December 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I love the Red Nectar ale! Good stuff. Haven't had the Anchor Christmas in a few years.

Stormy2213
December 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Latest holiday brew I've had the pleasure of imbibing is the Samuel Smith Winter Welcome. I've always found Samuel Smith ales to be very delicious. Never had a bad brew from them in my life.

The Winter Welcome is something you will want to seek out if you like a to enjoy a brew that isn't too heavy on the palate or the stomach. It's almost a "session" beer to me in that it's got a light body and fairly low carbonation. The brew pours a nice light amber with a low head that disappears fairly quickly. The nose is lightly malted, maybe some honey and nutmeg with very faint hops. The mouth-feel is surprisingly "thin" given that most holiday ales load up on the malt and the subsequent "heaviness" is what strikes most as a signature of a holiday ale. Not this one. It's amongst the "thinnest" ales I've had - short of having some wreck of a homebrew. But don't let the thin body block your enjoyment. The taste is very much along the lines of the nose and the smooth maltiness is very satisfying. Take a long pull from your pint glass and savor the sweet malt and light hops. In varying degrees I've tasted caramel, some sweet citrus and even a bit of chocolate.

Overall, I was really happy with both 550 ml bottles I had. Tasty, clean, and not too heavy. One word of warning, if you are in the mood for a heavily spiced holiday ale, this one will let you down big time. If you want something that is more of a clean finishing, lighter ale that has a bit more ABV than your everyday ale, go grab this. Drink it now b/c I don't think this one is in any way going to age like other holiday ales.

BTW - loving the Anchor Christmas ale this season. It's become my everyday brew, strangely supplanting my beloved Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Tonight I've got a Delirium Noel on the menu. I'm not sure I can wait until tonight to open it though!!!

BeerMan
December 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
how about some Abitas?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sGkV0SudxMk/SVF70pqKYbI/AAAAAAAABJE/IH11A62kd8M/s400/abita.JPG

had this tonight. it did not disappoint me. can be found at Cost Plus World Market.

Stormy2213
December 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Any Alesmith fans out there? My cousin, who reps for Pyramid, recommended their stuff. I'd never had it before last night. I grabbed a couple of sips of their Anvil ESP from a buddy. From what I recall, it was like one of the best home brews I've ever had. And I LOVE homebrew so no dis intended. If I say "your beer tastes like good homebrew" I'm paying a high compliment b/c I know a lot of great homebrewers who make beer that beats most off the rack beers. So, any Alesmith fans out there? Tell me what I should try.

nick_nautious
December 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM
my older brother just gave me his old home brew kit for xmas, just need to pick up a few items from the home brew store and im ready to start my own batch woot!

Azagthoth
December 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Any Alesmith fans out there? My cousin, who reps for Pyramid, recommended their stuff. I'd never had it before last night. I grabbed a couple of sips of their Anvil ESP from a buddy. From what I recall, it was like one of the best home brews I've ever had. And I LOVE homebrew so no dis intended. If I say "your beer tastes like good homebrew" I'm paying a high compliment b/c I know a lot of great homebrewers who make beer that beats most off the rack beers. So, any Alesmith fans out there? Tell me what I should try.

Alesmith is exceptional in every way! The Speedway Stout is one of the greatest Imperial Stouts on the market. Horny Devil is damn tasty, the Grand Cru is definitely a special treat to savor, and the Old Numbskull rules. Also gotta mention the Wee Heavy Scottish Ale, and their IPA.

Try everything from Alesmith.

Genghis John
December 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM
my older brother just gave me his old home brew kit for xmas, just need to pick up a few items from the home brew store and im ready to start my own batch woot!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

http://www.howtobrew.com/images/home/htb3cover.jpg

Best Book ever

Read for free here
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction (http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html)

daxx
December 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm drinking Double Arrogant Bastard for New Years.
Partially because I'm a masochist and partially because I know no one else will drink it. My stash is safe.

nick_nautious
December 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

http://www.howtobrew.com/images/home/htb3cover.jpg

Best Book ever

Read for free here
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction (http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html)

cool thanks for the link, my brother is coming back into town on friday & gonna go to the brew store first thing saturday morning and he's gonna help me with my first one, cant wait :woot:

nick_nautious
December 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm drinking Double Arrogant Bastard for New Years.
Partially because I'm a masochist and partially because I know no one else will drink it. My stash is safe.

i was just at the stone brewery on saturday :beer1:

Azagthoth
December 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
i was just at the stone brewery on saturday :beer1:

We'd like to hear about it :)

nick_nautious
December 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
We'd like to hear about it :)

the place is beautiful, i went last year for my 2nd wedding anniversary as well, the beer is soooooo much better fresh on tap, the food could be better (the mac & beer cheese is a little bland for instance) but a very cool place to hang out and drink around the fire pits and the rock garden, didnt take the brewery tour this time because it was getting late and we were all hungry, but the tour is awesome

these are from last year
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF0023.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF0026.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF0035.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF0046.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF0036.jpg

im planning on going again soon as well and stopping by port/lost abbey up the road at the original stone location

nick_nautious
January 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
1st batch in the fermenter... beer should be ready in time for superbowl!

Genghis John
January 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
1st batch in the fermenter... beer should be ready in time for superbowl!

so 2 weeks primary
1 week secondary
bottle
then 2 weeks to carbonate?

What did you make?

nick_nautious
January 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
so 2 weeks primary
1 week secondary
bottle
then 2 weeks to carbonate?

What did you make?

should be around a month from saturday? i think the 30th, a week before... should be good for super bowl on feb 7th

made an irish red ale

Genghis John
January 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
should be around a month from saturday? i think the 30th, a week before... should be good for super bowl on feb 7th

made an irish red ale

Super bowl is 5 weeks from 1/2 (I know because I have the same target for a beer I am making)

Since you have 5 weeks, go with that schedule posted above if you are bottling.

An Irish Red is pretty low gravity so you should be in great shape by Superbowl.

nick_nautious
January 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM
had these while brewing saturday

duchy original organic english ale - made by wychwood, tastes like a version of thier "Fiddler's Elbow" just slightly different - very good
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/englishale.jpg

alesmith anvil esb - pretty good, sharp up front but pretty damn good
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/alesmithesb.jpg

also had a fiddler's elbow & a stone sublimely self righteous ale (12th anniversary ale)

rinkrat
January 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2675/3851253572_bafdee0638.jpg

I couldn't resist and tried the Humbolt Hemp Beer and it's terrible. Tastes like rotten vegtables.

afrolover
January 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Just returned home from a Firestone food and brew pairing at a local eatery/ watering hole. Many tastes of Unfiltered Double Barrel Ale, Union Jack and Walker's Reserve (Porter). But mostly enjoyed two pints of delectable Velvet Merkin! Life is grand!

BIG JOE
January 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Saw this at Bevmo and gave it a try. Has a strong rasberry flavor.
http://mustlovebeer.com/uploads_user/1000/1/951.jpg

The Velvet Merkin
January 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
). But mostly enjoyed two pints of delectable Velvet Merkin!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rs53-MPsJaI/R6UjmF0BG7I/AAAAAAAAE_U/sqZpIyWcOgE/s400/Shocked_Kidz_at_pc_sm.jpg

Fooferah
January 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hey, AZ...

Have you tried Lost Abbey Sinners 09? Pretty interesting blend.

DougW8
January 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hey, AZ...

Tell me more.

nick_nautious
January 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
had this last night... not too bad
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/marinblueberry.jpg

Fooferah
January 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Marin is a good brewery. I like several of their beers, and one of these days I will get around to visiting. I hear it's a nice little trip from SF.

Doug, it's Ten Commandments (aged in bourbon barrels), Gift of the Magi (aged in French oak barrels), and Serpent's Stout (aged in Port barrels).

Not sure where you stand on sour beers (I love them and really enjoyed the Stone Sour Fest last summer), but it definitely has some elements of that, along with stout characteristics. My all time favorite beer is Lost Abbey's Angels Share, which is aged in either bourbon or brandy barrels (depending on year), so I like that part of it for sure. But you really get an interesting mix with the Port in there.

I think it's kind of hard to explain, but you really know you're drinking something different.

mitchrock
January 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Going to Beachwood BBQ this Sunday with psychopuck. Hope they have some good brews on tap then.

DougW8
January 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Marin is a good brewery. I like several of their beers, and one of these days I will get around to visiting. I hear it's a nice little trip from SF.

Doug, it's Ten Commandments (aged in bourbon barrels), Gift of the Magi (aged in French oak barrels), and Serpent's Stout (aged in Port barrels).

Not sure where you stand on sour beers (I love them and really enjoyed the Stone Sour Fest last summer), but it definitely has some elements of that, along with stout characteristics. My all time favorite beer is Lost Abbey's Angels Share, which is aged in either bourbon or brandy barrels (depending on year), so I like that part of it for sure. But you really get an interesting mix with the Port in there.

I think it's kind of hard to explain, but you really know you're drinking something different.

It sounds like something I would really enjoy. I'll be on the lookout.
Mitch, I just spent a week in Seal Beach, and failed to make it to Beachwood once, to my sorrow. Love that place, and they always have something good on tap. Check out the Abbey on the other end of Main Street, between the two, you should be able to have almost anything you would like.

madgdv
January 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Its pretty cool seeing all these posts about good beers. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in setting up a Kings Game watching party with a bottle share. Everyone brings a 22oz bottle, 750ml or 2-12oz bottles of some craft beer.
I have plenty of good bottles to share.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed 22 ounces of Ballast Point Sculpin and I'm about to crack another one open.

nick_nautious
January 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Its pretty cool seeing all these posts about good beers. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in setting up a Kings Game watching party with a bottle share. Everyone brings a 22oz bottle, 750ml or 2-12oz bottles of some craft beer.
I have plenty of good bottles to share.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed 22 ounces of Ballast Point Sculpin and I'm about to crack another one open.

i would be down for that

IceBat
January 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Sounds fun.

DRGinLBC
January 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.crackedkettle.com/store/images/Santas-Little-Helper-New.jpg

Highly enjoy this.

Azagthoth
January 18th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hey, AZ...

I haven't, nor have I had any of the Sinners blends. To be honest, I have been utterly disappointed with the Lost Abbey's output over the last year and a half, with their inability to properly carbonate their beers. Tomme is a tremendous brewer with incredible capabilities, but until they fix their CO2 issues, I don't see myself spending another dime on their beer. I've probably spent over $100 over the last year on LA beers that were disappointing drain pours simply due to the absence of carbonation.

You have to be in the club to get the Sinners blend, right? Unless of course, you trade for it or something.

Arrogant Ba$tard
January 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Went to The Bruery's Reserve Society event Saturday. What a night! Some highlights: Partridge in a Pear Tree, 3 different Papiers (1 each aged in Bourbon barrels, Brandy, Rye), the new Oude Du Tart, Autumn Maple, Mischief, Two Turtle Doves, Rugbrod, plus many others I can't remember right now. I didn't stick around to get any Black Tuesday as the crowd was in line for that an hour early.

Azagthoth
January 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Went to The Bruery's Reserve Society event Saturday. What a night! Some highlights: Partridge in a Pear Tree, 3 different Papiers (1 each aged in Bourbon barrels, Brandy, Rye), the new Oude Du Tart, Autumn Maple, Mischief, Two Turtle Doves, Rugbrod, plus many others I can't remember right now. I didn't stick around to get any Black Tuesday as the crowd was in line for that an hour early.

I was there too! Were you at session 1 or 2 ?

It was amazing! All the free beer you could drink, and all the Beachwood BBQ food you could eat! The folks at The Bruery really went out for this! The highlight for me was the BA Papiers, with the Brandy being my favorite. I wasn't huge on the rye version, but the whiskey barrel was really damn good. The Dirty Beaver Juice Weekend was what I sipped on the most, and the Oude Tart is absolutely spectacular! I picked up 2 bottles of Mischief to take home, as I was really fond of that one and regret only leaving with 2 of them. Oh well. I've got 5 Oude Tarts at home to keep me busy for a while :)

madgdv
January 19th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I wanted to go to the Bruery event but didn't get paid in time to become a member. The Oude Tart sounds awesome. You guys try the chocolate bacon?

madgdv
January 19th, 2010, 05:48 AM
You have to be in the club to get the Sinners blend, right? Unless of course, you trade for it or something.

I love Lost Abbey beers. Yeah some of their beers are flat but their sours are amazing. Yellow Bus, Cable Car, Isabelle Proximus, Red Poppy, Cuvee de Tomme, Duck Duck Gooze and KT.

I've had Sinner's Blend without being a sinner.
Once with Ratebeer summer gathering and at a couple other beer tastings that friends shared it with me.

Azagthoth
January 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I love Lost Abbey beers. Yeah some of their beers are flat but their sours are amazing. Yellow Bus, Cable Car, Isabelle Proximus, Red Poppy, Cuvee de Tomme, Duck Duck Gooze and KT.

I've had Sinner's Blend without being a sinner.
Once with Ratebeer summer gathering and at a couple other beer tastings that friends shared it with me.

Right on man. The Isabelle Proximus was one of the best beers I've ever had. I traded two RR 375ml Beatifications for one of them. I loved the Red Poppy, and the Cuvee de Tomme (when it was carbonated). I still haven't had the Cable Car or DDG yet.

Do you know T0rino over on BA? I'm good friends with him and we're always trying to work out some good trade efforts to acquire lots of good stuff that isn't distributed here.

Azagthoth
January 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I wanted to go to the Bruery event but didn't get paid in time to become a member. The Oude Tart sounds awesome. You guys try the chocolate bacon?

The Oude Tart is outstanding! Very well balanced in terms of tart/sour for its style, thus upping the drinkability like crazy. It's comparable to RR's Supplication from the cherries used, and it will be interesting to see how the Oude Tart ages.

I don't eat bacon, but the people I was sharing a table with kept raving about the chocolate covered bacon! They made it sound awesome!

Arrogant Ba$tard
January 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I was there too! Were you at session 1 or 2 ?

It was amazing! All the free beer you could drink, and all the Beachwood BBQ food you could eat! The folks at The Bruery really went out for this! The highlight for me was the BA Papiers, with the Brandy being my favorite. I wasn't huge on the rye version, but the whiskey barrel was really damn good. The Dirty Beaver Juice Weekend was what I sipped on the most, and the Oude Tart is absolutely spectacular! I picked up 2 bottles of Mischief to take home, as I was really fond of that one and regret only leaving with 2 of them. Oh well. I've got 5 Oude Tarts at home to keep me busy for a while :)

Session 2. I love the Oude Tart and it is totally not my style of beer. I was bummed they didn't have any Melange that night. It is very good. I had it on tap there about 2 months ago. I think it was Melange #3.

Azagthoth
January 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Session 2. I love the Oude Tart and it is totally not my style of beer. I was bummed they didn't have any Melange that night. It is very good. I had it on tap there about 2 months ago. I think it was Melange #3.

Melange #3 ruled!

madgdv
January 22nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
Do you know T0rino over on BA? I'm good friends with him and we're always trying to work out some good trade efforts to acquire lots of good stuff that isn't distributed here.

Yeah, I know t0rin0 (Bobby R). He's a good friend of mine as well.
Been to many beer tasting with him.

I got to try Oude Tart last night at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood for the Bruery/Mischief & Cheese pairing. Awesome beer!

Melange #4 was the most murkierst beer I've ever seen.

Azagthoth
January 22nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I know t0rin0 (Bobby R). He's a good friend of mine as well.
Been to many beer tasting with him.

I got to try Oude Tart last night at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood for the Bruery/Mischief & Cheese pairing. Awesome beer!

Melange #4 was the most murkierst beer I've ever seen.

I love the Oude Tart...... Mischief is great too, and I should have grabbed some more bottles of it.

I haven't had the Melange #4 yet, but #3 was fantastic and up there with some of the Bruery's best. I believe they are supposed to bottle #3 at some point. To this day, White Oak is still by far my favorite release from them.

Fooferah
January 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, definitely not much carbonation in the Sinner. We had some bottles of it at my uncle's house, since he usually has us all over for a tasting a day or two after xmas (and again in summer). We did pretty much all dark/winter stuff. Sent us home with some bottles of Sinners and Cuvee as well.

Good to see some other sour fans around here. Did I mention Chili Wonka before? Awesome beer I had at the Stone Sour Fest last summer.

Azagthoth
January 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, definitely not much carbonation in the Sinner. We had some bottles of it at my uncle's house, since he usually has us all over for a tasting a day or two after xmas (and again in summer). We did pretty much all dark/winter stuff. Sent us home with some bottles of Sinners and Cuvee as well.

Good to see some other sour fans around here. Did I mention Chili Wonka before? Awesome beer I had at the Stone Sour Fest last summer.

Although not my favorite or "go to" style, I still enjoy sours/wild ales! Russian River seemed to perfect the style, and The Bruery's Oude Tart is right up there with the best - Beatification and Supplication, in my opinion. I really hope they continue on with the sours and the strong ales - as they've been damn near flawless thus far.

madgdv
January 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM

I had the Chili Wonka at the Stone Sour Fest. Not my favorite of the festival but it was damn good. Valley Brewing makes some killer beers. UberHoppy & Olallieberry Sour are awesome.

I couldnt believe how hot it was at the Sour Festival.

Stormy2213
January 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Just spotted this yesterday and grabbed a 6 pack. It's a golden bock. I'm a huge fan of SN ales but I've never really been grabbed by their lagers or wheat beers so my expectations were pretty low. Fortunately, this one is pretty good. It's not going to be a huge "go to" beer for me but it is a quality, middle of the road bock - along the lines of Shiner Bock with a bit more body. And that's not really a bad thing. I can see this being a summer beer for me.

Anyway, nice golden color. About a finger and half of head. Pleasant grainy/malty/yeasty aroma with some hops right up front. Medium body, not too light and not heavy. Good flavor, good balance from the hops with a slight astringency (which might put some off). But I'm ok with it. Good pilsner malt flavor - biscuity. Overall it's the type of beer I could easily sink a 12 pack on a long "let's get a bunch of yard work done" spring or summer day.

Fooferah
January 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I had the Chili Wonka at the Stone Sour Fest. Not my favorite of the festival but it was damn good. Valley Brewing makes some killer beers. UberHoppy & Olallieberry Sour are awesome.

I couldnt believe how hot it was at the Sour Festival.

No kidding! Was that heat just unreal or what? I thought I would be wrecked with all the heat and beer, but surprisingly all was well. ;)

Olallieberry is good stuff for sure.

I really need to get down there for some more of their events. Winter Storm looks fun... anyone been to that before?

Azagthoth
January 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I really need to get down there for some more of their events. Winter Storm looks fun... anyone been to that before?

Winter Storm is a hoot! I went 2 years ago, and would recommend going early on in the week to ensure that you get to sample lots of the archived beers before they run out!

nick_nautious
January 29th, 2010, 12:59 PM
gonna try my first batch when i get out of work, yay!

roenick
February 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Just bought this as I have been eyeing it at the local Safeway. Since it was Olympics I thought I would buy a sixer. Not bad at all.

http://barrybeer.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/about-us-bottle-glass2.jpg

redxalonso
February 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM
http://realbeerco.com/images/upload/beer_images/large/Chimay%20Red.jpg

Tried it for the first time. It's aight...nothing special.

Azagthoth
February 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
http://realbeerco.com/images/upload/beer_images/large/Chimay%20Red.jpg

Tried it for the first time. It's aight...nothing special.

One of my alltime favorites. I wasn't much fond of it upon my first try, but giving it a second shot after sampling more belgian style ales - I was left impressed and this one resulted as one of my favorite belgian ales.

Chateau Bow Wow
February 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Had some Pliny the Elder this weekend, it is very good. It's definetly in my top 10.

Azagthoth
February 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Had some Pliny the Elder this weekend, it is very good. It's definetly in my top 10.

That's a solid Double IPA, and especially considering its availability. Personally though, I think Alpine has the perfection of IPAs locked down, and as a result they got me back into appreciating IPAs again.

redxalonso
February 17th, 2010, 04:45 AM
One of my alltime favorites. I wasn't much fond of it upon my first try, but giving it a second shot after sampling more belgian style ales - I was left impressed and this one resulted as one of my favorite belgian ales.

In that case, I'll give it another go.

Azagthoth
February 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
In that case, I'll give it another go.

Try the other 2 Chimay beers if you haven't. The blue is my personal favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of them!

rinkrat
February 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I stopped drinking beer for a couple of weeks and my belly is shrinking.

Arrogant Ba$tard
February 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Went to the Bruery on Hallmark Day and tried their beer and chocolate tasting. Very nice. Drank a ton of and brought home a growler of Melange Sechs. Very drinkable.

There was a keg of Pliny the Younger at Tustin Brewing Company tapped on Monday but I have not had a chance to get there. Wonder if they have any left?

Azagthoth
February 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Went to the Bruery on Hallmark Day and tried their beer and chocolate tasting. Very nice. Drank a ton of and brought home a growler of Melange Sechs. Very drinkable.

There was a keg of Pliny the Younger at Tustin Brewing Company tapped on Monday but I have not had a chance to get there. Wonder if they have any left?

I doubt it. Word spreads quick on beeradvocate, and there have been dozens of PTY threads the last couple of weeks. Once word of mouth gets out, it's gone. PTY is good stuff, but there are better Double IPAs out there.

Watti
February 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Had New Belgium's new Ranger IPA the other day.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/drinkreport/files/2009/10/rangeripa1-287x300.png

Excellent. Well-balanced without sacrificing too much hoppiness, the malts really stood out without taking over, a little bit thin but overall very solid. :cheers:

nick_nautious
February 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
picture of me drinking my first batch of Irish Red (was very sharp up front at about 40ibu's but now that its been in the bottle for about 6 weeks its simply amazing)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF2270.jpg

also my brother from arizona came down over last weekend (he's the one who got me into home brewing) and we went to Port/Lost Abbey down in San Marcos... very very cool place to hang and drink (we took the stone tour since we didnt get to the last time he was out.

port's double red shark attack is delicious as always
lost abbey's gift of the magi... was magical haha

older brother in the coyotes jersey, me & the wife
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF2273.jpg

barrels everywhere
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF2274.jpg

barrels as tables & seats with grain bags on top
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF2277.jpg

we were gonna go to green flash cuz they closed at 4pm but we didnt have time after the stone tour & tasting and we were hungry

Cheezer517
March 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Pliny the Younger on tap at Naja's Place in Redondo Beach on March 21st.

nick_nautious
March 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
went to the arizona beer festival in tempe on sunday... found some new good beers, & some new bad beers.

moose drool & trout slayer from big sky brewing co.
black butte porter (even though im not a fan of porters usually)
left hand brewery (i think it was) had a great milk stout
firestones dba, hemp ale & red nectar were great (had dba before)
prescott brewery's cream ale
lumberyard's red (out of flagstaff)

and some bad ones. that take a normal... say... a blonde. and put a butt load of hops in it and make it taste like an ipa. then the same brewery's red, will look and taste exactly the same even though poured from a different keg.... hides everything the brewer did

UnholyGoalie
March 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mmmm, Black Butte is heaven in a bottle.

BeerMan
March 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Had New Belgium's new Ranger IPA the other day.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/drinkreport/files/2009/10/rangeripa1-287x300.png

Excellent. Well-balanced without sacrificing too much hoppiness, the malts really stood out without taking over, a little bit thin but overall very solid. :cheers:

I had that this evening. I thought it was bitter and dry. fortunately, I bought a 6er, so there will be more taste tests later on.

Stormy2213
March 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
...I thought it was bitter and dry...

I had the same experience. Doubt I'll have another. I really don't think New Belgium beers are worth a damn. Fat Tire is pretty much boring and sometimes outright terrible IMO. I don't get the attraction that folks have for it. Am I the only one?

nick_nautious
March 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
i dont like fat tire either, or ipa's for that matter

UnholyGoalie
March 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Fat Tire tastes much better on draft than in a bottle, more so than any other beer I've tasted. Quite weird, actually. FT is a good beer that I could keep knocking down pint after pint in a night (as I did 10 hours ago).

Azagthoth
March 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I had the same experience. Doubt I'll have another. I really don't think New Belgium beers are worth a damn. Fat Tire is pretty much boring and sometimes outright terrible IMO. I don't get the attraction that folks have for it. Am I the only one?

I had the opposite experience. I found the New Belgium Ranger IPA absolutely fantastic, and perhaps one of the better balanced IPAs on the market. It was far from bitter when put up against your west coast style IPAs (Stone, Green Flash, etc) and I found it nice as an alternative from the hop bombs that flood Southern California. Its more of a return to the traditional IPA before the west coast transformed them into hop bombs (not an insult, just a statement).

I have to step up and defend Fat Tire. New Belgium found a way with it to make a pretty good amber ale. To me, most amber ales aren't worth a damn, but Fat Tire is an exception. It's popular, so what? Sierra Nevada is popular too, and especially Stone - plus these special releases of Darkness, Kate the Great, and Dark Lord which result in hundreds to thousands of people lining up for these Imperial Stouts. It's a disappointment to see Fat Tire **** on by the "advocates" because of its popularity. Not saying that is your attitude towards it, but rather the community as a whole.

New Belgium has a nice assortment of ales and all decently priced.

Fat Tire
Mothership Wit
2 Below
La Folie
Trippel Belgian Style Ale
Mighty Arrow

Sometimes I'd rather pay 7 bucks for a 6'er of the Mothership Wit or Fat Tire for the night, as opposed to just one killer RIS at $15.

Depends on the situation, always. Fat Tire has its special spot, as much as a Black Tuesday does.

Stormy2213
March 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
It's a disappointment to see Fat Tire **** on by the "advocates" because of its popularity. Not saying that is your attitude towards it, but rather the community as a whole.

Totally respect your opinion on this. Far be it for me to not like a beer just b/c it's popular or mass produced. I drink a lot of Tecate and Modelo Especial in the summer b/c they're damn good beers. Actually, I've got an 18 pack of Tecate in the fridge right now, in cans too(!), and b/c I'll be working in the yard today most of those are likely to be gone by about 6 pm tonight! I drink Sam Adams Oktoberfest like it's water during the season. All mass produced and available EVERYWHERE. But they all hit the spot for me when I'm drinking them. And I know they don't get the respect of a lot of beer "snobs", but who cares? I consider myself a beer snob and I drink Tecate! Go figure.

With Fat Tire, it's really just a matter of taste for me. I've never "gotten" Fat Tire and most times I've had it I've just never found it all that appealing. And like I said, sometimes it's been quite awful. No big. There are lots of choices out there, fortunately, so it's all good. Cheers.

PS - had a bottle of Delirium Noel that I've had in the fridge for a couple of months last night. OMG. I can't even put into words. I was floored. It was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. What a phenomenal beer.

nick_nautious
March 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Totally respect your opinion on this. Far be it for me to not like a beer just b/c it's popular or mass produced. I drink a lot of Tecate and Modelo Especial in the summer b/c they're damn good beers. Actually, I've got an 18 pack of Tecate in the fridge right now, in cans too(!), and b/c I'll be working in the yard today most of those are likely to be gone by about 6 pm tonight! I drink Sam Adams Oktoberfest like it's water during the season. All mass produced and available EVERYWHERE. But they all hit the spot for me when I'm drinking them. And I know they don't get the respect of a lot of beer "snobs", but who cares? I consider myself a beer snob and I drink Tecate! Go figure.

same here, hot days, or when i know im gonna be drinking a crap ton, i dont give a crap, i drink some ice cold coors light. days where i wanna have 1 beer i drink whatever sounds good to have a pint or 2 to relax with be it sam adams (i prefer sam adams light), an arrogant bastard (which i had the other night), barleywine, newcastle, some of my homebrew, or whatever, gotta pick & choose your times and flavors, just picked up an old guardian stone barleywine im gonna get blitzed off of when i drink it and some more moose drool which i didnt really like at first but now that ive had a few its rather awesome

bottled my honey pale ale today, smelled delicious. and had my 2 week in the bottle brown session ale last night... not what i was expecting but still damn good none the less

BeerMan
March 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM

the Ranger is not that bad. I still prefer Just Outstanding and LongHammer over Ranger, as well as a number of other IPAs.

NB's 1551 is pretty good. but FT? not so much. IMO

I have yet to try the Noel Delirum.

Azagthoth
March 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
the Ranger is not that bad. I still prefer Just Outstanding and LongHammer over Ranger, as well as a number of other IPAs.

NB's 1551 is pretty good. but FT? not so much. IMO

I have yet to try the Noel Delirum.

I lost interest in IPAs a long time ago, but the Just Outstanding and most of the Alpine IPAs have gotten me somewhat interested in the style again.

kingkudu
March 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
If you are ever in San Diego, Pizza Port beer is the best!!

SirJW
March 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
OK what are the best St. Paddy's beers besides the obvious?

DRGinLBC
March 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/48505.jpg

Keep an eye out for this beer...might be gone by now. Cracked one the other night and was highly impressed.

Azagthoth
March 16th, 2010, 12:18 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/48505.jpg

Keep an eye out for this beer...might be gone by now. Cracked one the other night and was highly impressed.

I've had this in my fridge for a couple of months.... needa get crackin!

BeerMan
March 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
OK what are the best St. Paddy's beers besides the obvious?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M54XLqjBLNg/R89wTbcDWYI/AAAAAAAAAgo/7UvOuI6dn0E/s400/Smithwick%27s%2BIrish%2BAle.JPG

DRGinLBC
March 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I've had this in my fridge for a couple of months.... needa get crackin!

Let me know what you think. I'm heading down to SD this weekend and will be picking up a few to age.

Azagthoth
March 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Let me know what you think. I'm heading down to SD this weekend and will be picking up a few to age.

I'll be in SD too this weekend with 2 Ballast Point growlers, and 1 at Alesmith. Gonna be fun!

SirJW
March 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I know green beer is usually sludge but what beers come green @ the bars?

SirJW
March 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M54XLqjBLNg/R89wTbcDWYI/AAAAAAAAAgo/7UvOuI6dn0E/s400/Smithwick%27s%2BIrish%2BAle.JPG

Nice, looks good too.

C'mon Beerphiles we need more St Paddy's Day suggestions....

Stormy2213
March 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Nice, looks good too.

C'mon Beerphiles we need more St Paddy's Day suggestions....

Honestly, a good pale or IPA suits me any day. I avoid all bars March 17. This day brings out all the idiots and the idiot inside otherwise normal folks. And besides, I'm saving my liver for Cinco de Drinko (May 5)!!!!

SirJW
March 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Show us your favorite Irish pale ale or ipa.

UnholyGoalie
March 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/84771.jpg

Stormy2213
March 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Don't exist. I'll have a Guinness if I'm forced into having an Irish beer. Now an Irish coffee made with Jameson's is a whole different story.......

UnholyGoalie
March 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Drinking a .5 liter bottle of Ridgeway Lump of Coal Dark Stout and quite enjoying it.

BeerMan
March 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM

if you were taking a brewing class, you'd get a failing grade. ;)

IPA is Indian Pale Ale, ironically created by the Brits.

India Pale Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale)

nick_nautious
March 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
gotta nice Stone Old Guardian barleywine im gonna bust open later tonight

UnholyGoalie
March 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Happy a couple pints of Lost Abbey Serpent Stout. WOOOO boy! That was delicious! 11% ABV, FTW!

nick_nautious
March 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Happy a couple pints of Lost Abbey Serpent Stout. WOOOO boy! That was delicious! 11% ABV, FTW!

love their gift of the magi... oh and im wearing my lost abbey shirt atm..

DRGinLBC
March 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Highly suggest the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary that just came out. Enjoyed one this weekend. Picked up a couple more to age. Very nice. Found at BevMo for $10 a bottle (750ml)

http://barbeerians.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sierra30_logo.JPG

Arrogant Ba$tard
April 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Yo Az - The Bruery's Melange #3 is being bottled and will be in limited release next month! Reserve Society members will get first crack.

Azagthoth
April 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Highly suggest the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary that just came out. Enjoyed one this weekend. Picked up a couple more to age. Very nice. Found at BevMo for $10 a bottle (750ml)

I picked up 3 of these! Can't wait to open them.

Azagthoth
April 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yo Az - The Bruery's Melange #3 is being bottled and will be in limited release next month! Reserve Society members will get first crack.

Sweet! Where did you get the details? I saw them mention this a while back but haven't heard anything since. I think they're limiting this one to 3 bottles/RS Member.

DMAN3474
April 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM

My bevmo only had one bottle left so I grabbed it. Cant wait to open it

mitchrock
April 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Incredible stuff. Need to pick up more of these this weekend. BevMo in Cypress had a lot in stock on Friday.

DougW8
April 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM

I picked up a bottle at Whole Foods on Friday.

Bogey
April 11th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Super-High Alcohol Beer Heads to the U.S. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100411/us_time/08599197870500)

Stormy2213
April 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Super-High Alcohol Beer Heads to the U.S. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100411/us_time/08599197870500)

I wonder how it tastes? Picked up a 6 of Affligem blond yesterday. I'm on my second of the day to celebrate the Kings win and the end of the regular season. I love this stuff - though I prefer Leffe blond, I just couldn't find any. Good stuff on a windy, rainy day by the fire. I imagine that all 6 will be sunk by the end of the day and then I can get into my Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout for desert tonight. Good day all around!

Azagthoth
April 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'm so sick of Brewdog's consistency of releasing crappy beers.

mitchrock
April 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Tried Port Brewing's Hot Rocks Yesterday. It was great. Seemed even better than last year's batch. With the playoffs here, I'll probaly just get a case of an IPA to last me a while. Need to be cost efficient.

nick_nautious
April 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm so sick of Brewdog's consistency of releasing crappy beers.

i had their dogma the other day... wasnt very good imo, just kind of ordinary, wasnt what i was expecting

i did however pick up a russian river blind pig im gonna drink this weekend, and the ever-so good gift of the magi from lost abbey

Azagthoth
April 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM
i had their dogma the other day... wasnt very good imo, just kind of ordinary, wasnt what i was expecting

i did however pick up a russian river blind pig im gonna drink this weekend, and the ever-so good gift of the magi from lost abbey

Funny you mention the Dogma. It's the best I've had from Brewdog (I've tried about 15 of their beers), and that isn't saying very much at all! Their output is so overpriced and below average. Innovation and originality don't always guarantee greatness.

Has The Lost Abbey fixed their carbonation problems yet? I haven't purchased anything from them in a couple of years because everything has been so flat. Back when they were carbonated, some of their stuff was up there with the best on the market.

nick_nautious
April 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Funny you mention the Dogma. It's the best I've had from Brewdog (I've tried about 15 of their beers), and that isn't saying very much at all! Their output is so overpriced and below average. Innovation and originality don't always guarantee greatness.

thats the only one ive had, my brother and his wife said that dogma was their favorite of theirs as well but, i was not impressed at all

Has The Lost Abbey fixed their carbonation problems yet? I haven't purchased anything from them in a couple of years because everything has been so flat. Back when they were carbonated, some of their stuff was up there with the best on the market.

ive never had a problem with lost abbey or port, i had a pint in their tasting room a few weeks ago and everything was delicious, avant garde & the gift of the magi which are exceptional on tap, ill let you know of this magi i have isnt carbonated very well

i also brewed a strawberry cream ale on friday... gonna be sooooo amazing

Fooferah
April 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Even Brewdog's collaboration with Stone sucked.

Stormy2213
April 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
After enjoying my Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout the other night I sort of got into another Anderson Valley mood so I picked up a 6 of the Hop Ottin' IPA. I can honestly say I love this stuff. I've never had a bad beer from Anderson Valley Brewing Co. Hats off to the brewing team up there.

nick_nautious
April 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
gonna head out to green flash & alesmith this weekend :D yum

madgdv
April 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I posted this in "Home Ice" as well but I think the craft beer drinkers in this thread would be more interested in their Kings Playoff Watch Party.

Blue Palms Brewhouse on Hollywood Blvd will be showing "ALL" the Kings playoff games.
Thursday is 25? wing night.
Thursday will also be the LA debut of Marin Brewing Co - Brass Knuckle IPA 9.6% ABV @ Blue Palms.
They have 24 craft beers on tap, awesome food, easy access from the metrolink. Big Screen TV.
A bunch of us Kings fans will be there.

Blue Palms Brewhouse - 6124 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028 - 323-464-2337

Azagthoth
April 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM
After enjoying my Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout the other night I sort of got into another Anderson Valley mood so I picked up a 6 of the Hop Ottin' IPA. I can honestly say I love this stuff. I've never had a bad beer from Anderson Valley Brewing Co. Hats off to the brewing team up there.

One of the best IPAs out there!

Stormy2213
April 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Last night I started out cooking dinner - pan fried burgers using bacon grease (yea, a bit on the unhealthy side but damn fine tasting burgers) with ALL the fixings - and had one of the Hop Ottin' IPA. Beautiful beer. After the first I went back to the fridge for another but saw that I had a Stone Ruination that had been in there for about a month. I poured into an Imperial Pint glass and marveled at how pale in color it poured. I expected something a bit darker and really don't know why! Anyway, upon pouring the beautiful floral hit of hops infiltrated my sinus cavity and took residence there for the duration of the entire 22 oz bottle. Bliss. Pure bliss. Of course I'm a lover of "hop bomb" beers so this one was a winner before I poured simply based on the Stone label. But wow, the relative balance that the Ruination had, all the while being hop forward, was amazing. Add in that I was knocking back a greasy burger loaded with jalapenos and sharp cheddar - damn, I was in heaven. What a combo. GO GET THIS BEER!

daxx
April 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Beat me to it. I'd be willing to try it, but not at $50 some per bottle.

Azagthoth
April 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Just ordered my 3 bottles of both Barrel Aged Coton and Melange No. 3 from the Bruery :) They'll be ready in late May/early June!!!

nick_nautious
April 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
... I had a Stone Ruination that had been in there for about a month. I poured into an Imperial Pint glass and marveled at how pale in color it poured. I expected something a bit darker and really don't know why! Anyway, upon pouring the beautiful floral hit of hops infiltrated my sinus cavity and took residence there for the duration of the entire 22 oz bottle. Bliss. Pure bliss. Of course I'm a lover of "hop bomb" beers so this one was a winner before I poured simply based on the Stone label. But wow, the relative balance that the Ruination had, all the while being hop forward, was amazing. Add in that I was knocking back a greasy burger loaded with jalapenos and sharp cheddar - damn, I was in heaven. What a combo. GO GET THIS BEER!

bought a levetation sixer today... yummy

UnholyGoalie
April 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I posted this in "Home Ice" as well but I think the craft beer drinkers in this thread would be more interested in their Kings Playoff Watch Party.

Blue Palms Brewhouse on Hollywood Blvd will be showing "ALL" the Kings playoff games.
Thursday is 25? wing night.
Thursday will also be the LA debut of Marin Brewing Co - Brass Knuckle IPA 9.6% ABV @ Blue Palms.
They have 24 craft beers on tap, awesome food, easy access from the metrolink. Big Screen TV.
A bunch of us Kings fans will be there.

Blue Palms Brewhouse - 6124 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028 - 323-464-2337

Thanks! Blue Palms is a solid place! I've lost my memory there a few times. Only bad part I can forsee is that it's not very big, so it might be packed.

nick_nautious
April 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
flying dog - snake dog ipa - not bad cosidering im no a big IPA fan.... Green Flash west coast ipa not bad either

Azagthoth
April 15th, 2010, 06:41 AM
flying dog - snake dog ipa - not bad cosidering im no a big IPA fan.... Green Flash west coast ipa not bad either

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is fabulous! I still haven't had anything by Flyingdog that I can honestly say I enjoyed.

Arrogant Ba$tard
April 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Just ordered my 3 bottles of both Barrel Aged Coton and Melange No. 3 from the Bruery :) They'll be ready in late May/early June!!!

Me too. Can't wait!

Azagthoth
April 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Me too. Can't wait!

Hell yeah! The Coton should be amazing, especially in the BB Aged version. I've had Melange No. 3 and it's up there with Black Tuesday and White Oak :).

nick_nautious
April 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM
opening up my gift of the magi for the puck drop tonight

nick_nautious
April 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
went to alesmith & green flash yesterday

alesmith: super small place but had amazing beer, their wee heavy scottish was tastey, as well as their normal X, & ESB, their barleywine was also really good, very clean place, super cool staff

green flash: pretty small (larger than alesmith), super dirty, smelled of spent grain, staff was fairly rude about where people could and couldnt stand to drink when there were no signs saying otherwise. beer was decent if you like the same beer flavor just intensified as you went down the list (6 bux for their "flight" whcih was their 9 beers on tap in a row in 2oz tasters), only ones i partially liked were their porter & their double stout which just won silver at the world beer cup, but overall very disappointing

pics to come

mitchrock
April 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Had Goose Island's Matilda yesterday. A belgian style ale. Really good stuff. Came in a 4 pack. Found it at Bevmo.

Also, psychopuck got us the Stone-Firestone Walker-21st Amendment collaboration black ale. Good find. Can tase licorice, coffee and some smokiness to it. Very complex brew. Great stuff.

madgdv
April 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Beat me to it. I'd be willing to try it, but not at $50 some per bottle.

I got to try the Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink the Bismarck at the new Surly Goat bar on Santa Monica.
Interesting beers for sure.
I like Sink the Bismarck (41%) better than Sam Adams Utopias (27%).

nick_nautious
April 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM
alemsith
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/alesmith1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/alesmith2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/alesmith3.jpg

green flash
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/DSCF2540.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/greenflash1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/greenflash2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/greenflash3.jpg

nick_nautious
April 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
anyone goin to the game tonight? i can bring some of my brown homebrew if anyone wants to give it a try, very roasty, almost porter-ish

gonna leave at about 1pm

mitchrock
April 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Great pics from Alesmith.

DRice
April 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
http://www.thebeerinme.com/e107_plugins/reviewer/images/itempics/1_konawailuawheat.jpg

Liquid Aloha!

BeerMan
April 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
whoever mentioned Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, good call on that. great stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG JOE
April 24th, 2010, 09:15 AM
http://cpwm.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pCPWM-6305626v300x300.jpg

Chateau Bow Wow
May 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
Just had a bottle of Sofie, very tasty.

http://www.gooseisland.com/filebin/images/products/full/sofie.jpg

sonnyboy11
May 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
I motored down a couple of mugs of this on tap yesterday at Wurstkuche

http://www.sintbernardus.be/images/New/abt12.jpg

Sint Bernardus (http://www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html)

Excellent stuff.

UnholyGoalie
May 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Maui Brewing Coconut Porter. Sex in a can. I'm glowing. Need a cigarette.

mitchrock
May 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Been drinking Alaskan Amber as of late. Hits the spoty.

BeerMan
May 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.lacproducts.com/products/beer/Kilikia.jpg

DougW8
May 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
http://www.belgianfamilybrewers.be/pics/scaldispn.jpg

Celebrating with a few friends last night, and tried this. Excellent with an overall mellowness considering it has an ABV of 13%.

Stormy2213
May 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Had one of the Fritz & Ken's Ale from Sierra Nevada at the Pour House in Paso Robles. They're calling it a Pioneers Stout but it was pretty much an Imperial Stout for all "intensive purposes" (:10smile:). Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers (http://www.sierra30.com/#/fritz-and-ken-s-ale)

The Pour House is a jewel of a place hidden around the corner from the Firestone Brewery. Anybody into a great place to have great beer on tap needs to seek it out.The Pour House - Home (http://www.pasopourhouse.com/)

The beer was absolutely gorgeous - as I expected. Very dark, roasted flavors abound. It only got better as it warmed to room temp. I'm getting a case of this stuff next week. Seek it OUT!

Also, I can't wait for the Papazian/Ekhardt Imperial Helles Lager to be released. I still have my first homebrew book, Joy of Brewing, by Chuck Papazian. I'm sure it will be a dynamite brew.

Actually, I'm looking forward to all of them. I love the project they've put together to celebrate their 30th anniversary at SN. Hats off. Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers (http://www.sierra30.com/#/home)

BeerMan
May 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
http://www.maletis.com/images/products/Wildblue.png

more like a blueberry cider. too much fizz to be an actual beer or even a lager.

if you like cider, then this would be your chance for a taste test.

finished only two bottles, might as well use the rest in a few beer breads.

nick_nautious
May 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Black Sheep - Riggwelter - northern english brown ale - pretty damn good
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/2-3.jpg

Russian River - Blind Pig IPA - pretty good stuff
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/3-2.jpg

Rabbit's Foot Meader - Biere De Miele - VERY tasty

Alesmith - IPA - probably the best IPA ive ever had, not overly dry and not overly "over the top"

my strawberry cream ale came out amazing, even though i messed up my gravity readings but very very tasty

UnholyGoalie
May 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
SN Estate Brewer's Harvest Ale '09 - good stuff. Malty but the hops definitely had more bite (surprising for a SN, no?/sarcasm). Hazy amber color with fairly creamy mouthfeel and good taste and aroma of medium ale. I liked this one.

Azagthoth
May 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I had the pleasure of sampling some new beers on Saturday at The Bruery's Second Anniversary Party. The beer of the day was the 100% Barrel Aged Coton. Absolutely wonderful, and I got 3 bottles of it to take home. The Melange No. 3 was as great as I remembered it being, and I also got 3 bottles of that one as well. Its already going for 100 bucks on ebay, go figure!

The Coton is really nice and I picked up 4 bottles of that. Beachwood BBQ catered and the food was fantastic!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs309.snc3/29048_393407313561_323971168561_4035720_175983_n.j pg

gescom
May 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM
guzzled this little bastard down at the Back Abbey in Claremont a few nights back... really dug it!

http://www.beerme.com/graphics/brewery/0/551/22507.jpg

gescom
May 24th, 2010, 07:30 AM
oh, and this... was fan-f***ing-tastic!

http://www.belgiuminabox.com/shop/img/p/348-3107-thickbox.jpg

Stormy2213
May 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Got back from a very grinding trip to DC and had to make a trek down to Pour House yesterday afternoon. They just got a case of Pliny the Elder in so I had to partake. Knocked back 2 and hoping they still have some when I head back down Sunday. For those of you who have had this beer you won't be surprised when I say that this is the BEST Imperial IPA on the planet (and one of the best beers in the world). Hands down, no competition. All other Imperial IPA only try and measure up to this. Nectar in the purest sense of the word. Pure nectar. I can't begin to describe how utterly spectacular this beer is. The aroma alone elevated me. I won't try and describe it any further b/c I would fail to properly describe all that this beer is. Perfect. Flawless. Delicious. Heavenly. You get the drift. I can't wait to have another.

Also, the new Celebrator just came out and there are a bunch of beer festivals noted in the latest issue. Go find a copy and start making travel plans. I'm in for the Russian River Beer and BBQ Fest (Stumptown Brewery (http://www.stumptown.com/)) for sure (tix go on sale Tuesday) and maybe Mammoth (Home Page | Bluesapalooza (http://www.mammothbluesbrewsfest.com/)). I have to skip Avila Beach today - which is not a big deal since the festival has become nothing but place for all the Cal Poly students to come in and just drink themselves blind. Too many people, not enough good beers, and a bunch of idiot college students doing what college students do. I'm getting old.....

Lastly, if you're in the area tomorrow, Pour House is getting some beer geeks together to taste some of the beers they've stashed over the last year or so. If you have anything special, bring it on down and share. Have to drink from their glassware but he's welcoming those who want to try some of the more unique brews available out there. Getting our game on at 3 pm. And he's firing up the pit so BYOM (or something to share with the crew) if you want. Good times.

Azagthoth
June 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
I finally came across Pater 6 from St. Bernardus and it was most excellent! I'm not much of a dubbel fan, but this was an exception for sure. It was wonderfully crafted as are all of the ones from St. Bernardus.

I also picked up the Parabola from Firestone and was definitely let down. It isn't bad by any means, but I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between Parabola and the Black Xantus. They both tasted identical, and definitely not worth $15+/bottle.

Salty Dog
June 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
oh, and this... was fan-f***ing-tastic!

http://www.belgiuminabox.com/shop/img/p/348-3107-thickbox.jpg
Damn, I haven't seen that in years, good ****!

Anyone else try Newcastle Summer Ale? It's probably in this tread somewhere but I don't have time to search it out. Got a 12er the other day, much more hops and doesn't taste anything like Newcastle. It isn't bad, but I haven't made up my mind yet how much I like it.

jerseydevil
June 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Two beers from the Ralphs beer isle, which is about as adventurous as i am feeling these days...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/smithwicks_logo.jpg

Tried this on a recommendation, not bad. Nice and simple without the heaviness or dark rustwater taste of a lot of Irish ales. Minuses, kinda wimpy and a little bland.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/Red_Stripe_Light_theme_sized.jpg

I like Red Stripe original. This is a different taste than that. Imagine RS without the bitterness. My friend put it best, it's kinda a chick version of the original.

UnholyGoalie
June 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Smithwicks (pronounced "Smiddicks" according to a bartender at my favorite bar) is pretty good stuff. Not great, but not bad. Looking to hit up Blue Palms this weekend. Should have a few beers there I've never tried before.

BeerMan
June 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Two beers from the Ralphs beer isle, which is about as adventurous as i am feeling these days...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/smithwicks_logo.jpg

Tried this on a recommendation, not bad. Nice and simple without the heaviness or dark rustwater taste of a lot of Irish ales. Minuses, kinda wimpy and a little bland.

that's like saying SlapNutz is wimpy and bland. better watch out. ;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/Red_Stripe_Light_theme_sized.jpg

I like Red Stripe original. This is a different taste than that. Imagine RS without the bitterness. My friend put it best, it's kinda a chick version of the original.

so is the Corona Light.

Diehard
June 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6996/shocktopbottle.jpg

I liked this one, has a nice citrus aftertaste

Stormy2213
June 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6996/shocktopbottle.jpg

I liked this one, has a nice citrus aftertaste

File Shock Top with Blue Moon.......On the other hand, had a couple of pints of Green Flash Hop Head Red on tap at the Pour House yesterday afternoon. It was the perfect end to a nice day at the beach in Cambria yesterday. I was surprised that it was just what the doctor ordered given the near triple digit heat yesterday. The Amarillo hop nose made me want to chug the first one down quickly but I took my time and really enjoyed the balance this beer has. Seek it out hop heads.

http://www.beerme.com/graphics/brewery/2/2441/22222.jpg

DRice
June 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Liquid Aloha Festival in Huntington Beach this weekend.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/515/94/n130565106969569_7536.jpg

Orange County Liquid Aloha (http://www.ocweekly.com/microsites/liquidaloha-event)

BeerMan
June 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Liquid Aloha Festival in Huntington Beach this weekend.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/515/94/n130565106969569_7536.jpg

Orange County Liquid Aloha (http://www.ocweekly.com/microsites/liquidaloha-event)
I'll go if they have the Pipeline Porter
Posted via Mobile Device

UnholyGoalie
June 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
DRINK|EAT|PLAY BLOCK PARTY (http://www.drinkeatplay.com/blockparty/)

Just bought my ticket. Went to their LA Beerfest a couple months ago and had a blast.

DRice
June 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'll go if they have the Pipeline Porter
Posted via Mobile Device

I had some of that a couple weeks ago when we were in Kona. So good.

jerseydevil
June 13th, 2010, 08:24 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/Newcastle_Summer.jpg

As a massive fan of Newcastle this truly was an affront. Newcastle is what it is...DARK HEAVY AND DIRTY. Imagine Newcastle's (notsoevil) twin. This is light, with a nice, almost fruity taste...your everyday summer ale. Not worthy of sporting the Newcastle name, but not the crappiest beer I have ever gotten ripped on.

Azagthoth
June 14th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I went to an awesome tasting at my buddy's house Saturday. There was roughly 20-30 beers there, but the highlight of the tasting was definitely the Midnight Sun Sins Series beers! A couple of them (such as the Imperial Pilsner and lower ABV Belgian pales) had obviously peaked, but some of the stronger ones were still pretty damn good.

The best beer of the day was the Bullfrog Black Cherry Bomb. WOW !!!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9499/mssinsjune122010.jpg

jerseydevil
June 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I went to an awesome tasting at my buddy's house Saturday. There was roughly 20-30 beers there, but the highlight of the tasting was definitely the Midnight Sun Sins Series beers! A couple of them (such as the Imperial Pilsner and lower ABV Belgian pales) had obviously peaked, but some of the stronger ones were still pretty damn good.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9499/mssinsjune122010.jpg

As a bottle collector i really like those 7 deadly sin beers. The Bullfrog...did it taste of black cherry? If so it sounds good. Any idea where I can pick that up?

Stormy2213
June 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM

So, who was the smart guy who brought the Kirin? :crazymonkey: I got a full on LOL when I scrolled all the way over to the lower right.

Azagthoth
June 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
As a bottle collector i really like those 7 deadly sin beers. The Bullfrog...did it taste of black cherry? If so it sounds good. Any idea where I can pick that up?

My buddy and I had to trade for the Sins Series, which to my knowledge have been long out of production (we had to give up a lot of stuff for it, believe me). They were only brewed once, unfortunately. That is why the value of them are ridiculously high, but rightfully so considering they are Midnight Sun beers. They have an amazing line of brews, and are far better than Stone, Lost Abbey, etc... Some of their standard releases are fairly easy to come by from some of the online stores, but I doubt you'll find any Midnight Sun beers at BevMo or most liquor stores out here.

The Black Cherry Bomb was somewhere between an Imperial Stout and a Flander's Red if you ask me. It had some cherry notes, but nothing overpowering with respect to that and the sour/tartness. I'd say it leans more towards the Imperial Stout style, but it is reminiscent of the Cuvee De Tomme from Lost Abbey to a certain extent. You won't find this one because it was so limited to begin with. As of now, 80 people on the BA trading forums want it, and there are 0 gots for it. You could try e-bay, but I would imagine it'll cost you $80+ for a bottle.

The Kirin Ichiban was the Kirin Tanrei, and it was included in the tasting for the rarity of it's style (Happoshu).

Taken from beeradvocate:

"Japanese beer companies produce what's called "Happoshu," which is sparkling low malt beverage. Since the tax for Happoshu is much less than the tax for beer, happoshu is cheaper than beer. For that reason, Happoshu has become very popular in Japan. Happoshu classification occurs when an ingredient other than malt, hops, rice, corn, kaoliang, potato, starch, or sugar is used, or if the malt ratio is less than 67%."

I've gotta say, Japanese beers are quite underrated. They can make a "fizzy yellow beer" pretty damn good.

UnholyGoalie
June 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I kinda did a double-take at the can of Kirin. No dissrespect, though, I likes me some Sappies.

duchesse de bourgogne. Everyone seems to love it except me. Oh well. More for the rest of yall, I suppose.

Stormy2213
June 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The Kirin Ichiban was the Kirin Tanrei, and it was included in the tasting for the rarity of it's style (Happoshu).

I wasn't dissing it by any means. I just thought it stood out like a sore thumb, maybe as a joke. But your explanation makes perfect sense as to why it was there. And I agree on Japanese beers. I'm a fan, especially on a hot day where my normal hop addiction tends to give way to my need for a clean, refreshing, lighter tasting beer that doesn't taste like metal or corn. Kirin and Sapporo always come through. I'm going to have to try and find some of the Kirin Tanrei.

UnholyGoalie
June 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale – Dark brown in color with a sparse head. Very nice hoppy/floral aroma. Hop-forward taste with a bite and bitterness but not too crushing. Slightly balanced by malt but this is a hoppy beer. I’m liking it though as a contrast to the maltier beers I usually go for. Even though this is pretty hoppy, I like this beer.

O'Fuego
June 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm just drinkin some Boddington's right now...its like Guinness light. And it was on sale...the Guinness wasn't.

Azagthoth
June 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Had the Stone 14th Anniversary on Saturday night.

Waste of money. English IPA's aren't very interesting to begin with, and all they did was really hop the style up with very little malt presence to provide any balance. It tasted like hoppy water, to be honest.

Arrogant Ba$tard
June 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Crap. Deschutes Black Butte 12 bottles are crap. Some Abyss 2009 might be as well.

After Abyss complaints, Deschutes disposes of Black Butte XXII bottles | Beernews.org (http://beernews.org/2010/06/after-abyss-complaints-deschutes-disposes-of-black-butte-xxii-bottles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+beerpulse+%28Beernews.org+%C2 %BB+The+Craft+Beer+News+Leader%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

BeerMan
June 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Had the Stone 14th Anniversary on Saturday night.

Waste of money. English IPA's aren't very interesting to begin with, and all they did was really hop the style up with very little malt presence to provide any balance. It tasted like hoppy water, to be honest.

maybe if you age them well enough, they'll come out fine.

BeerMan
June 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Crap. Deschutes Black Butte 12 bottles are crap. Some Abyss 2009 might be as well.

After Abyss complaints, Deschutes disposes of Black Butte XXII bottles | Beernews.org (http://beernews.org/2010/06/after-abyss-complaints-deschutes-disposes-of-black-butte-xxii-bottles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+beerpulse+%28Beernews.org+%C2 %BB+The+Craft+Beer+News+Leader%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

I had a Black Butte out of a tap at a local watering hole last week. didn't turn out bad at all. must have been the previous release.

my guess is that Deschutes had a dirty tank?

Azagthoth
June 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
maybe if you age them well enough, they'll come out fine.

That was certainly the case with the Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (12th Anniversary). But the 14th is an IPA, and will not age. In my experience, IPAs peak very quick and are best consumed fresh. Age will do nothing beneficial to an IPA in my opinion.

Arrogant Ba$tard
June 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I had a Black Butte out of a tap at a local watering hole last week. didn't turn out bad at all. must have been the previous release.

my guess is that Deschutes had a dirty tank?

It was just their bottles. Kegs were fine.

UnholyGoalie
July 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Founders Breakfast Stout = hell yes!

My head is swimming a bit right now.

SirJW
July 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
1.99 @ traders
http://beernews.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mission-st-hefeweizen.png
Mission Street Hefeweizen, Brown Ale coming to Trader Joe's | Beernews.org (http://beernews.org/2010/04/mission-st-hefeweizen-brown-ale-coming-soon/)

Very good just the way I like a Hef.

Genghis John
July 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
1.99 @ traders
http://beernews.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mission-st-hefeweizen.png
Mission Street Hefeweizen, Brown Ale coming to Trader Joe's | Beernews.org (http://beernews.org/2010/04/mission-st-hefeweizen-brown-ale-coming-soon/)

Very good just the way I like a Hef.

They are both good beers. Especially the Hef.

Stormy2213
July 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Slightly OT - me and a buddy are going to take a trip up to Healdsburg to visit some old college friends and to just get out of here for 3 days. We plan on hitting a couple of breweries/brewpubs in the area. So far we've ID'd the following 4 as can't miss: Bear Republic in Healdsburg, 3rd Street Aleworks and Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, and Lagunitas in Petaluma. Do any of you have suggestions for other places that are within that 30 some odd mile radius that are can't miss beer places? BTW, we'll probably hit Toronado in SF on the way up or back as well. Much obliged all.

KEVINATOR
July 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM
dubble bastard ale, by the stone brewing company in san diego. It's thick like syrup and has a real ale taste.

BeerMan
July 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
dubble bastard ale, by the stone brewing company in san diego. It's thick like syrup and has a real ale taste.
have you try the Oaked ABA yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Genghis John
July 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM

Did you misspell Dubbel? or Double?

Because a Dubbel is a completely different style of beer.

Azagthoth
July 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Did you misspell Dubbel? or Double?

Because a Dubbel is a completely different style of beer.

If The Bruery and Stone ever did a collaboration (hope it never happens) I must admit that "Dubbel Bastard" would be very fitting!

Genghis John
July 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
If The Bruery and Stone ever did a collaboration (hope it never happens) I must admit that "Dubbel Bastard" would be very fitting!

Yes! They would be tricky to produce though.

Some of those Stone collaborations have been great. That tripel they put out with Victory? Around Christmas a few years back rocked. That Kona coffee beer was acceptable.
I am not a fan of that Saison they did with Dogfish Head with Parsely, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme though.

Azagthoth
July 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yes! They would be tricky to produce though.

Some of those Stone collaborations have been great. That tripel they put out with Victory? Around Christmas a few years back rocked. That Kona coffee beer was acceptable.
I am not a fan of that Saison they did with Dogfish Head with Parsely, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme though.

The only collaborations I enjoyed were the ones with Nogne/Jolly Pumpkin and the Juxtaposition. I thought the Kona Coffee one was crap, as was the one they did with Alesmith/Mikkeller (I think that was their first one when the Belgian IPA trend was taking off).

16scores
July 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38376048/ns/us_news-weird_news/

BeerMan
July 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
just placed an order at Bevmo for a couple of these...
http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/67697.jpg

BeerMan
July 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
$765-a-bottle beer sold in dead animals - U.S. news - Weird news - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38376048/ns/us_news-weird_news/)

yeah, but are you recommending them? are you one of the few lucky buyers? and if so, how was it?

Azagthoth
July 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Brewdog is nothing but a gimmick. They make ****ty beers, over and over.I'll give them consistency when it comes to drain pours, thats about it!

Fooferah
July 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Slightly OT - me and a buddy are going to take a trip up to Healdsburg to visit some old college friends and to just get out of here for 3 days. We plan on hitting a couple of breweries/brewpubs in the area. So far we've ID'd the following 4 as can't miss: Bear Republic in Healdsburg, 3rd Street Aleworks and Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, and Lagunitas in Petaluma. Do any of you have suggestions for other places that are within that 30 some odd mile radius that are can't miss beer places? BTW, we'll probably hit Toronado in SF on the way up or back as well. Much obliged all.

Probably hit Toronado? That should be definitely hit Toronado!

Stormy2213
July 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Probably hit Toronado? That should be definitely hit Toronado!

Yes, I know, it should be. But it all depends on the timing of us leaving OR how hung over we are the day we have to drive back.....

Watti
July 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Heading down south to SD for the weekend, planning on hitting up as many breweries as possible... So far Stone, Green Flash, and Ballast Point are on the must-do list. Which others do you all recommend?