PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Stormy2213
July 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Heading down south to SD for the weekend, planning on hitting up as many breweries as possible... So far Stone, Green Flash, and Ballast Point are on the must-do list. Which others do you all recommend?

I'd suggest AleSmith, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey as well.

Chateau Bow Wow
July 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'll 2nd Port and Lost Abbey, I was there last weekend for their Christmas in July celebration. They were releasing the Santa Little Helper, pretty good stuff.

Watti
July 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM

I'll 2nd Port and Lost Abbey, I was there last weekend for their Christmas in July celebration. They were releasing the Santa Little Helper, pretty good stuff.

Oh yeah, forgot AleSmith, that one's on our must-visit list too. Will definitely add Lost Abbey, and if I can manage to stumble there, will visit Port too.

Thanks! :cheers:

Edit: Actually, aren't Port and Lost Abbey one in the same? :think:

Stormy2213
July 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, forgot AleSmith, that one's on our must-visit list too. Will definitely add Lost Abbey, and if I can manage to stumble there, will visit Port too.

Thanks! :cheers:

Edit: Actually, aren't Port and Lost Abbey one in the same? :think:

Yes, they are. 155 Mata Way in San Marcos.

Azagthoth
July 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Heading down south to SD for the weekend, planning on hitting up as many breweries as possible... So far Stone, Green Flash, and Ballast Point are on the must-do list. Which others do you all recommend?

Alpine & AleSmith for sure.

P. Diddy
July 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, they are. 155 Mata Way in San Marcos.

which is 3 minutes away from my house :)

Stormy2213
July 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Color me jealous!

DRGinLBC
July 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Can you pick me up a bottle of Red Poppy?

Genghis John
July 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Pliny Lovers, like Stormy, be sure to try this beer

http://www.simplybeer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ballastpoint_sculpin2.jpg

Azagthoth
July 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Sculpin > both the Elder and Younger.

DRGinLBC
July 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Sculpin > both the Elder and Younger.

Wow...that's a questionable call. To each is own.

Sculpin is defiantly good...don't get me wrong. Actually have 2 in the fridge right now for this evening!

In stock at the LB BevMo if anyone is looking. $7.99

Stormy2213
July 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Pliny Lovers, like Stormy, be sure to try this beer

I will seek that out. Thanks for the recommendation. On a side note, this last Wednesday the Pour House cracked open a case of Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Aroma like pink grapefruit and oh so damn smooth and tasty. It's a limited release seasonal so if you can find it now, grab some. It's delicious.

Lagunitas Brewing Company (http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/littlesumpin.html)

Stormy2213
July 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have to get down to La Habra in the next couple of weeks to visit a customer. I know that area as well as I know Eva Mendes.....Is there any place there to get a great beer or two after my meeting? Thanks in advance.

Azagthoth
July 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Wow...that's a questionable call. To each is own.

For sure man!

I just think that the Sculpin is a little more original/adventurous and stands out from most IPAs. The Plinys are amazing, but I find them at the top of what you can expect for a standard IPA/Double IPAs.

I give them all A's :)

Big Red
July 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM
can anyone recommend a good stout for stout floats? I've tried Young's chocolate stout and like it but I'm also interested in trying others.

BeerMan
July 31st, 2010, 12:32 AM
can anyone recommend a good stout for stout floats? I've tried Young's chocolate stout and like it but I'm also interested in trying others.

Murphy's Stout comes to mind. I know that there are pubs in NY that would have it on tap, so if you have a growler, you should not hesitate in filling it up with Murphy's.

what about Guinness? get the ones in a can.

Big Red
July 31st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Murphy's Stout comes to mind. I know that there are pubs in NY that would have it on tap, so if you have a growler, you should not hesitate in filling it up with Murphy's.

what about Guinness? get the ones in a can.

I've tried Guinness and Murphy's before too but as far as beer flouts go, I think that Young's has the edge IMO. I was just wondering what other stouts were out there. Would an oatmeal stout work well in a float?

Stormy2213
July 31st, 2010, 08:38 AM
I've tried Guinness and Murphy's before too but as far as beer flouts go, I think that Young's has the edge IMO. I was just wondering what other stouts were out there. Would an oatmeal stout work well in a float?

I've never tried a beer float but I had an pretty tasty porter from Sprecher last night - 20th Anniversary Generation Porter. It's made with cocoa and raspberries. It literally tastes like raspberry truffle so in my mind, it might very well make a good match with vanilla ice cream.

Here's the weird thing - it's celebrating their 20th anniversary (1985 - 2005) and it doesn't have a huge ABV so I would have thought it might not have held up this long. I'm assuming it's been in bottle for at least 4 years???? But it is fine, actually quite good, albeit just a little thin in the mouth-feel. I think it would be a good fit for what you seek.

Genghis John
July 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Guinness is too bitter.

You want a sweet stout.

Rogue makes an awesome chocolate stout

BeerMan
July 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Rogue's stout would make a great stout float

the oatmeal stout I had been using was from Firestone's brewery, stuff only available from their taps which I was very fortunate to bring my growler for on a couple of occasions during a trip to SF, and back. finished the last drop just last night over a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream. couldn't have gone better. those floats are amazing.

BeerMan
July 31st, 2010, 01:27 PM
btw, when Stone Brewery released the bitter chocolate oatmeal stout some years ago, those definitely made for a great stout float. they need to brew more of that. I am down to one bottle.

Fooferah
August 3rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
August 20-21 Stone will have their Smoked Porter with Vanilla Beans available for growler fills. That might make a tasty float.

Fisch
August 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
August 20-21 Stone will have their Smoked Porter with Vanilla Beans available for growler fills. That might make a tasty float.

Smoked Porter=yum
Not so sure I want to ruin my appreciation for the SP by tasting it with vanilla added.

ianmonsta
August 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
not sure if its been mentioned but, my current (for the past year or so) favorite.

http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/25/0001048125/16/img9135a5b3zik9zj.jpeg

UnholyGoalie
August 3rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Just had some of that on Saturday for the first time. To each their own, I found it a bit skunky and hop forward. For my tastes, I'd go with Kona Longboard Lager instead.

ianmonsta
August 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Just had some of that on Saturday for the first time. To each their own, I found it a bit skunky and hop forward. For my tastes, I'd go with Kona Longboard Lager instead.

Funny enough i prefer it over Longboard.

UnholyGoalie
August 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hey, more for me and more for you! :cheers:

mitchrock
August 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Been drinking Sam Adams Cream Stout lately and loving it.

Fooferah
August 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Smoked Porter=yum
Not so sure I want to ruin my appreciation for the SP by tasting it with vanilla added.

For a beer float? The vanilla is gonna rock it.

DRGinLBC
August 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
btw, when Stone Brewery released the bitter chocolate oatmeal stout some years ago, those definitely made for a great stout float. they need to brew more of that. I am down to one bottle.

I can still get you some.

BeerMan
August 5th, 2010, 09:59 PM
just placed an order at Bevmo for a couple of these...
http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/67697.jpg
had this just tonight. it is very good.

if you ever spot one at a store, grab a handful.

DougW8
August 6th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I just got back from a conference in Portland, which happened to coincide with annual beerfest. I'm still trying to convince my co-workers that I really did spend time at the conference. I'll give some reviews of some of the beers at the fest later, but Portland itself is great in that almost every restaurant has some microbrews available, and there are a lot of beers which are mainly available in that area. Laurelwood, is nice enough to have a brewpub right in the airport, so that you can bring a few brews back in your carry-on.

http://www.1000bottlesofbeer.com/images/60.jpg

Pretty decent beer, with a nice balance of hops and malt. At the beerfest, I tried the Deranger Imperial Red from the same company, and that was one of the best I tasted. This one is near as nice, but if you like amber ales, it is one you should try if you have an opportunity.

Stormy2213
August 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Had a 22 oz bottle of this in the fridge for a couple of weeks now and decided to partake yesterday afternoon. After a long weekend of cleaning up around the house and re-arranging my office I felt I deserved something that was high on the ABV and BUs. So I grabbed this over the Hop Head Red that I've usually got on hand. Well, I made the wrong choice. This one really let me down.

The pour showed fine - nice golden/orange color with a nice head that went away after a few moments. The nose was pleasant enough - citrus, a bit of pine, some of the grain present. So I'm thinking, great, this is going to be good. But it's not. It's pedestrian at best, bad at worst. The hop bitterness was there but it was a very astringent bitterness that was backed up by an off flavor that it took me awhile to identify. Ultimately I settled on "burnt" as the flavor that kept creeping in. Like they had added some roasted malt and kept it on the boil too long. I don't know. It just tasted like there was a burnt grain flavor in there, but I really think it was from the hops. I just don't know.

Ultimately, it didn't matter, because I ended up pouring the better part of the 22 oz down the drain. It's not often that I waste a beer like that. It just didn't cut it for me at all and I'm pretty sure it was not an off bottle. I think that they did poor job in trying to execute the style. IMO, they should give up and burn the recipe they used to develop this one. It was pretty damn bad.

NB - on Saturday I found a case of homebrewed porter I bottled in 2005. I put 2 bottles in the fridge in the hopes that it might still be good. After dumping the Speakeasy I cracked one of my homebrews. Without patting myself on the back too much here - DAMN! It's very, very good. So the afternoon/evening ended well enough as I got to enjoy the fruits of my own labor with a highly enjoyable porter.

nick_nautious
August 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
got a nice variety pack of ABITA beers from world market... i tried the Purple Haze raspberry wheat, which was pretty good, and the turbodog dark brown which was also pretty good, a bit roasty for me but still pretty damn good, gonna dig into the rest of it tonight

UnholyGoalie
August 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I had a bottle of Turbodog last weekend for the first time. Very nice chocolate malt character with this one! I'd by a sixer, no prob.

Stormy2213
August 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I grabbed a mixed 6 pack of Indian Wells Brewing beers from the Pour House. The owners wife had traveled through their neck of the woods and brought some back for us regulars to try out. She hadn't sampled them prior to buying. That being said, she'd have NOT bought them if she had tried them.

I had half a bottle of their Mojave Gold pilsner. Blech. What a crapload of awfulness. I thought the bottle was bad so I opened a bottle of the Mojave Red, a supposed American Red Lager. Double blech. So I have a feeling the other 4 bottles that I have (Marzen, Bock, Raspberry Ale, and Amnesia IPA) will be held in reserve for my non-beer loving friends who won't know that the beer they're drinking is absolute dog-sh** beer. I'm certainly not even going to try them.

OMG I'd have done better to pick up a 6 pack of PBR than these sorry excuses for beers. Highly NOT recommended - Indian Wells Brewing Company. Whomever the brewmaster is should burn the kettles, assuming he's not using a bath tub to brew in (not out of the question), and go into another line of business.

BeerMan
August 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
the only thing I like about IWB is their Lobotomy Bock. give it a try.

UnholyGoalie
August 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Went to Tony's Darts Away in Burbank last Friday. Cool place. A slight hipster vibe, but being that this is not the more trendy area of Burbank it's tolerable. Had Old Rasputin on tap for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Not exactly sure what it is but had a tangyness about it that reminded me of cheese. Surprisingly this is not the first time I've gotten that from a dark beer. Sweet potato fries are frickin' awesome. Downside was a wasted $6 on their jukebox and in 4 hours never heard one song I had picked and was subjected to the vocal torture of Kings of Leon instead. UGH!!!!

Over the weekend I shared a sixer of Asahi Dark (very nice! I would definitely buy again), Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale (also very nice, hoppy like an IPA without being too bitter), and a bomber of Requiem (love this stuff and it impressed the others too).

Stormy2213
August 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Went to Tony's Darts Away in Burbank last Friday. Cool place. A slight hipster vibe, but being that this is not the more trendy area of Burbank it's tolerable. Had Old Rasputin on tap for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Not exactly sure what it is but had a tangyness about it that reminded me of cheese. Surprisingly this is not the first time I've gotten that from a dark beer. Sweet potato fries are frickin' awesome. Downside was a wasted $6 on their jukebox and in 4 hours never heard one song I had picked and was subjected to the vocal torture of Kings of Leon instead. UGH!!!!

Over the weekend I shared a sixer of Asahi Dark (very nice! I would definitely buy again), Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale (also very nice, hoppy like an IPA without being too bitter), and a bomber of Requiem (love this stuff and it impressed the others too).

Lagunita Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is awesome. I love that stuff.

Genghis John
August 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Mitchrock mentioned he wanted to try this and I found it first

http://www.dogfish.com/files/imagecache/bottleGridSize/theobroma.png
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/theobroma.htm

This beer is awesome.

It is golden in color and has the perfect cocoa aftertaste.
This blows away any another Dogfish beer I have had.

mitchrock
August 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Tried 2 great brews at Beachwood BBQ last night. First, Psychopuck and I both ordered Port's Mongo. Great double IPA!!!!! Psychopuck continued the IPA route and got Alesmith's IPA.

I went in a different direction and got Allagash 2010 Fluxus. INFREAKINGCREDIBLE. To me it is up there with Dogfish Head's World wide stout. over 10% alcohol, dark stout flavor with a nice chocolate sweetness. BLISS.

UnholyGoalie
August 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Last night I had an Angel City Ale from Angel City Brewing. Nice beer. Similar to a darker domestic in that it was well balanced, crisp, and easy to drink. Pretty unoffensive all around.

Right now I'm working on a Mission Brewery Amber Ale. Took me about a whole 3 minutes to pour it because the head was so damn large and creamy (save the innuendo). Hazy amber/honey color with a very slightly skunky nose. Taste is better than aroma. Malty backbone with a small hop finish. More fuller bodied and flavored than the Angel City Ale.

Between the two I'd reach for another bottle of the Mission.

ROBUSTO
August 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I grabbed a mixed 6 pack of Indian Wells Brewing beers from the Pour House. The owners wife had traveled through their neck of the woods and brought some back for us regulars to try out. She hadn't sampled them prior to buying. That being said, she'd have NOT bought them if she had tried them.

I had half a bottle of their Mojave Gold pilsner. Blech. What a crapload of awfulness. I thought the bottle was bad so I opened a bottle of the Mojave Red, a supposed American Red Lager. Double blech. So I have a feeling the other 4 bottles that I have (Marzen, Bock, Raspberry Ale, and Amnesia IPA) will be held in reserve for my non-beer loving friends who won't know that the beer they're drinking is absolute dog-sh** beer. I'm certainly not even going to try them.

OMG I'd have done better to pick up a 6 pack of PBR than these sorry excuses for beers. Highly NOT recommended - Indian Wells Brewing Company. Whomever the brewmaster is should burn the kettles, assuming he's not using a bath tub to brew in (not out of the question), and go into another line of business.

That's too bad. IWB is a regular pit stop while cruising up 395 for some fishing. Last time I was there a worker handed me a Labotomy Bock right off the fill line. I always grab a sampler case. The only one I really did not like was the smoked porter.

I somewhat agree on the Mojave Gold though. Good if it is 110 degrees outside.

Genghis John
August 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
That's too bad. IWB is a regular pit stop while cruising up 395 for some fishing. Last time I was there a worker handed me a Labotomy Bock right off the fill line. I always grab a sampler case. The only one I really did not like was the smoked porter.

I somewhat agree on the Mojave Gold though. Good if it is 110 degrees outside.

Yeah then think of how bad a stout would be in that weather.
The ultimate test of a beer is the ability to drink at is room temperature.

Big Red
August 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
just had Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

if was so good.

ROBUSTO
August 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah then think of how bad a stout would be in that weather.
The ultimate test of a beer is the ability to drink at is room temperature.

Excellent point. The beer probably tastes better because I'm on vacation too. Just like that wine that tasted great at the winery but not so much at home.

ROBUSTO
August 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
just had Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

if was so good.

Never had a SS I did not like. I have not had the oatmeal stout in a long while.

TJ's still carrying it?

Azagthoth
September 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Got my ticket for the Black Tuesday release party! Anybody else going?

SirJW
September 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Divers discover 200-year-old beer in shipwreck - NYPOST.com (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/divers_discover_year_old_beer_in_uuPOlB5HW5WO4Poxw zVFIK)

Genghis John
September 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Divers discover 200-year-old beer in shipwreck - NYPOST.com (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/divers_discover_year_old_beer_in_uuPOlB5HW5WO4Poxw zVFIK)

I don't think that beer would be drinkable. It would have to be over 12% alcohol and the hops would pretty much be gone by then.

Arrogant Ba$tard
September 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Got my ticket for the Black Tuesday release party! Anybody else going?

I got one for the 5:30 session! This event plus the Reserve Society membership should net me 6 bottles.

Azagthoth
September 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
I got one for the 5:30 session! This event plus the Reserve Society membership should net me 6 bottles.

Same here! Except, I'll be at the later session. Cheers!

Leatherface
September 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Bruery is opening that Provisions store about a block from my house. Fairly excited for it.

mitchrock
September 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
The Bruery is overrated. Charge way to much for their wares.

Azagthoth
September 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
The Bruery is overrated. Charge way to much for their wares.

My Mitch boner that I proudly sport each and every day, has officially dropped a notch :( There is still some hope though, my good man.

mitchrock
September 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sorry Az, but it's the truth, they're an above average Brewery at best. Have regretted every purchase from them. Feel like they usually charge at leat $3 too much for each bottle. IF they had a quality like Allagash or Lost Abbey, then I wouldn't mind giving them the dough.

I will give them another chance when they open in Orange. HAve some friends that live by there that want to go.

Big Red
September 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

simply amazing. go get some people

KRAZGRL
September 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Without reading through 156 pages of recommendations (which will happen in due time though), I wanted to add some favorites of mine. Sorry for repeats.

If you ever get a chance in early February, go to Santa Rosa to Russian River for the release of Pliny the Younger (Triple IPA). Best beer EVER.

Other favorites:
Russian River's Pliny the Elder (Double IPA)
Russian River Consecration (dark Belgian sour ale aged in cabernet barrels)
Black Flag Imperial Stout (must try the Fresh Hop Edition - it has a green bottle cap)
Bootlegger's Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Stout)
Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich (Imperial IPA)
Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
Moylan's Imperial Stout
Moylan's Hopsickle (Triple IPA)
Lost Coast's Tangerine Wheat
Eel River's Acai Berry Wheat
Bear Republic's Racer 5
Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye
Dogfish Head Festina Peche
Dogfish Head 90min IPA
Almost all of the Stone Brewery's creations
And many, many, many more.

If you want a wicked black/tan... try it with Dogfish Head 90min & North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. :D

Breweries I've visited so far:
Bootlegger's - Fullerton
Skyscraper - El Monte
The Bruery - Fullerton
Oggi's aka Left Coast
BJ's
Rockbottom Brewery
Alcatraz Brewery
Anchor Steam - San Francisco
North Coast - Fort Bragg
Lost Coast - Eureka
Eel River - Fortuna
Bear Republic - Healdsberg
Lagunitas - Petaluma
Russian River - Santa Rosa
Ace Cider - Sebastopol
Third Street Ale Works - Santa Rosa
Moylan's - Novato
Marin - Larkspur
Miller - Milwaukee

Totally ready & willing to organize a LGK brewery meet.

UnholyGoalie
September 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Haven't had the pleasure of trying either of the Pliny's yet as they sell out lightning fast anytime a place gets some. Did score a bottle of Dogfishhead Theobroma that I'm looking forward to.

Last beer I had was Lagunitas Lucky 13. Very nice! Totally dug it.

Genghis John
September 28th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Haven't had the pleasure of trying either of the Pliny's yet as they sell out lightning fast anytime a place gets some. Did score a bottle of Dogfishhead Theobroma that I'm looking forward to.

That's a bad ass beer. My favorite Dogfish yet.

and KRAZGRL you have great taste in beer!

KRAZGRL
September 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Lucky 13 is a delicious red! Good choice!

I made the trip this past February and made it to the brewery at 10:30am the Friday they released Younger (the brewery opened at 11am). I was about 50 people ahead of me in line, many of whom were just buying growlers. Some spots opened up at the bar top and I was able to enjoy two 1/2 pints at the bar (they're a little over 11% abv, and this was before lunch) and then took a growler for the road. There were people there literally from around the world, not just across the US. I believe I overheard that someone there was from Sweden.

RR thought they would have enough beer to last the weekend. Ends up they ran out by 7pm.

That's a bad ass beer. My favorite Dogfish yet.

and KRAZGRL you have great taste in beer!

lol... thanks! I like to think of myself as a beer connoisseur. :biggrin:

I haven't had the chance to find that Dogfish yet. I'll definitely keep any eye open for it.

Another beer I forgot to add to my list.... Oskar Blues' Gordon. Pricy beer that comes in a can, but very tasty.

Stormy2213
September 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM

I haven't had a bad beer from Lagunitas. Enjoyed a Little Sumpin' WILD the other day. Beauty. They use a Westmalle yeast strain. It's got some nice fruit tastes in there and, like all their beers, very refreshing.

I found 2 6-packs of Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale today and grabbed both. In case you haven't had it, go find some. It's a great American Pale Wheat Ale. Great for the freaking hot days we're having. Guess what I'm drinking right now???????

Genghis John
September 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
lol... thanks! I like to think of myself as a beer connoisseur. :biggrin:

I haven't had the chance to find that Dogfish yet. I'll definitely keep any eye open for it.

Another beer I forgot to add to my list.... Oskar Blues' Gordon. Pricy beer that comes in a can, but very tasty.

You live in South OC right?

Bevmo and Total Wine carry it.

Total Wine is in the Tustin Marketplace over by Toys R us and Best Buy.
It's Bevmo with a better selection and lower prices.

I tell everyone this, if you are really a beer connoisseur, start making your own. It's easy , cheaper, and you'll learn that you can make better better than most breweries out there.

Stormy2213
September 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM

My daughter's BF brought home a bottle of Dogfishhead Bitch's Brew the other night. We found a spot that has that and Theobroma that nobody knows about.....Anyway, we loved the Bitch's Brew. Smoky, roasty, chocolaty, coffee flavors all wrapped up in a nice dark brew that just got better as it warmed from the fridge temp. Love it.

KRAZGRL
September 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
You live in South OC right?

Bevmo and Total Wine carry it.

Total Wine is in the Tustin Marketplace over by Toys R us and Best Buy.
It's Bevmo with a better selection and lower prices.

I tell everyone this, if you are really a beer connoisseur, start making your own. It's easy , cheaper, and you'll learn that you can make better better than most breweries out there.

I've been researching what it would take to get started for home brew. I have a few friends who all brew their own stuff - some of the best beer I've had in fact. I'm currently saving like mad for a downpayment on a home, so after that, I'll be more willing in taking a plunge into home brewing.

Aside from BevMo, I tend to go to Hi-Times for my beer. <3 The walk in beer fridge.

UnholyGoalie
September 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Lagunitas IPA and cappucino stout are very good. Little sumpin' sumpin' is quite excellent, gonna have to score another sixer when I run low. Only Oskar Blues beer I've had was Ten Fidy which is a very thick and viscous stout. Almost too much so. I prefer Stone IRS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Genghis John
September 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I've been researching what it would take to get started for home brew. I have a few friends who all brew their own stuff - some of the best beer I've had in fact. I'm currently saving like mad for a downpayment on a home, so after that, I'll be more willing in taking a plunge into home brewing.

Aside from BevMo, I tend to go to Hi-Times for my beer. <3 The walk in beer fridge.

Go to Total wine over Bevmo, especially for things like the Dogfish and Russian River.

You'll save up the $80 for a start kit like this in no time

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html

Big Red
October 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Spaten Oktoberfest

I'm loving it

Genghis John
October 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Has anyone tried the 10/10/10 yet?

Azagthoth
October 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Has anyone tried the 10/10/10 yet?

No, I will though eventually. I was disappointed with the 14th Anniversary and the last Vertical Epic, and am expecting the same with the 10-10-10 but I'll reserve judgment until I can sample some. I am interested though in seeing how the chamomile works in it.

Genghis John
October 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
No, I will though eventually. I was disappointed with the 14th Anniversary and the last Vertical Epic, and am expecting the same with the 10-10-10 but I'll reserve judgment until I can sample some. I am interested though in seeing how the chamomile works in it.

I think the last beer was conceptually a bad idea, but hey to each their own. Mitchrock liked it.

The 10/10/10 sounds much better. Tripels are one of my favorite beers, so I am looking forward to it

Azagthoth
October 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I think the last beer was conceptually a bad idea, but hey to each their own. Mitchrock liked it.

The 10/10/10 sounds much better. Tripels are one of my favorite beers, so I am looking forward to it

Absolutely man. If it was worth Mitch's money to him, I am glad to hear it!

I picked up my latest allocation from The Bruery - Gunga Galuna, Provisions Series Premiere, and the 100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple :)

rinkrat
October 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Free by mail Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass (plus $3 S/H if to TX or VA) (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1034259/)

Free Sam Adams Pint Glass

nick_nautious
October 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Free by mail Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass (plus $3 S/H if to TX or VA) (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1034259/)

Free Sam Adams Pint Glass

while i love the glass... it is VERY thin glass and mine broke just putting in the dishwaser

roenick
October 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM
So this is a new offering here in Seattle.

http://www.thebeerspot.com/blogs/images/1838.jpg

http://www.vivalabeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Original-Red22.jpg

It is produced by Elysian Brewing, which is a local brewer. The Men's Room is a local radio show on the KROQ style radio station here in Seattle. Men's Room is a crackup and I suggest you to listen to any of their podcasts. These guys are great.

Anyway about the red ale it is great. They just started bottling it and selling it in pretty much every store up here. Additionally a portion of each sale goes to Fischer House, which is a place set up for military families to assist them. I am a big fan of Red Hook ESB but the Men's Room blows it away in terms of smoothness.

Genghis John
October 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
while i love the glass... it is VERY thin glass and mine broke just putting in the dishwaser

top shelf or bottom shelf?

BTW-How is the homebrewing coming along?

Genghis John
October 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
The 10/10/10 is a good freaking beer. IMO The best Vertical Epic yet. If you like the Belgian's you should love this beer.

Drinking this showed me that Dogfish head's collaborations with Stone rubbed off on Stone a little.
I am going to age quite a few of these.

mitchrock
October 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Agree with Obe on the 10/10/10. Best epic yet. Reminds me of Goose Island's Matilda.

The 9/9/9 a yer later has aged well. The smokiness is coming out and adds a nice dimension.

Big Red
October 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
think I'll be able to find 10/10/10 in New York

Azagthoth
October 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I didn't see any 101010 at LHL or Bevmo over the weekend.

Genghis John
October 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I didn't see any 101010 at LHL or Bevmo over the weekend.

Total wine has it

You have two Azagthothfriendly locations now
Total Wine & More - Roseville, CA (http://www.totalwine.com/storelist.aspx?state=ca&store=1101)

Genghis John
October 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I finally got to try a Bootleggers brew.
Their Belgian Golden Ale.

Not bad but also not life changing. I have one of their Pale Ales chilling in the fridge and will probably drink it tonight.

Genghis John
October 20th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I had their Pale Ale last night. Solid, but unspectacular.

Azagthoth
October 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I finally got to try a Bootleggers brew.
Their Belgian Golden Ale.

Not bad but also not life changing. I have one of their Pale Ales chilling in the fridge and will probably drink it tonight.

I had a few of theirs (whichever the first few were that they bottled), one of them being the Belgian Golden Ale. I believe the other two were a hefeweizen and a rye IPA. All 3 bottles were infected and tasted like crap.

Their Black Phoenix was ****ing stellar, though!

Genghis John
October 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I had a few of theirs (whichever the first few were that they bottled), one of them being the Belgian Golden Ale. I believe the other two were a hefeweizen and a rye IPA. All 3 bottles were infected and tasted like crap.

skunked? or was there mold growing in there?

Note to Homebrewers: This is why sanitation is so important! :)

Watti
October 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Anyone know of any stores on the westside (West LA, Culver City, Santa Monica) with a good beer selection?

I know there's a BevMo on SM Blvd, and the Wine Rack off of Pico at the 405... there has to be others...

Azagthoth
October 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
skunked? or was there mold growing in there?

Note to Homebrewers: This is why sanitation is so important! :)

An infection that made them sour and drainworthy.

Genghis John
October 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
An infection that made them sour and drainworthy.

Sounds like a lactobacillus infection.

The only beer that we both had from them was the Belgian golden and mine wasn't sour like that, so yeah you got the infected bottles.

KRAZGRL
October 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM

Black Phoenix is effing A-Mazing! I have a bottle in the fridge right now. :)

Their Knuckle Sandwich is a REALLY good Double IPA too.

Genghis John
October 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM
I will have to try this Black Phoenix.
They did score points with me solely on the fact that I could peel the label of their bottle without having to soak it.

Stormy2213
October 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
I had 2 pints of this VERY FINE brew from Anderson Valley yesterday afternoon. I would highly recommend this one if you're looking for a malty, high gravity ale. It has a beautiful amber color and creamy head when drawn from the tap. The nose is malt, malt, malt, with some caramel and a bit of alcohol. Very smooth mouth-feel and it goes down very easily. It's one of those ales that you can get in trouble with very quickly as the 9% doesn't hit the palate whatsoever. Tasty caramel, toffee, honey, some grape-y/raisin-y notes. Just a wonderful, full bodied ale. I highly recommend grabbing this if you can find it. The Pour House in Paso Robles has it on tap right now. I'll have another one today after work.

mitchrock
October 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM
Had the 10-10-10 from the bottle for the first time. Tasted the grapes and fruitiness. Interesting, when I tasted it on tap, I mostly noticed the yeast. Great complex beer.

UnholyGoalie
October 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Stormy, that sounds awesome!

Stormy2213
October 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Stormy, that sounds awesome!

Try and find it. It's really an outstanding beer imo. It's that time of year where I crave heavier, lots of flavor beers. More malt than hops. It fits the bill in a big way.

Azagthoth
October 21st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Had the new Bruery RS beers over the weekend. The Gunga Galunga was my favorite. It's almost stout-like in appearance, and has the roast to go along with it. Roasted like a mother actually! The kaffir lime sounds odd but it works nicely with this beer. Med-heavy bodied, and easy to put down....I could have finished two with no problem. The carbonation was great, too.

Provisions Series Premiere is a belgian strong pale aged in bourbon barrels. Lots of complexity going on with this one, and I should have taken notes so I could pinpoint some specifics. I would give it an A though, and was easy as **** to put down at 10%. If you like barrel aged beers and BSPA's, find this one!

The 100% barrel fermented Autumn Maple was nice despite the lack of carbonation. It is among the spiciest beers I have ever tasted! Nicely done in that regard. I would take the Barrel Aged Autumn Maple (released last fall) over the barrel fermented version, but I still have 2 left and will drink them without hesitation.

Joining and renewing the Reserve Society was one of my best decisions. All of these special releases have been phenomenal! Melange No. 3, Barrel Aged Coton, Black Tuesday, Barrel Aged Partridge In A Pear Tree, Gunga Galunga, BA Autumn Maple, - ok I am thirsty now :)

Stormy2213
October 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Had the new Bruery RS beers over the weekend. The Gunga Galunga was my favorite. It's almost stout-like in appearance, and has the roast to go along with it. Roasted like a mother actually! The kaffir lime sounds odd but it works nicely with this beer. Med-heavy bodied, and easy to put down....I could have finished two with no problem. The carbonation was great, too.

Provisions Series Premiere is a belgian strong pale aged in bourbon barrels. Lots of complexity going on with this one, and I should have taken notes so I could pinpoint some specifics. I would give it an A though, and was easy as **** to put down at 10%. If you like barrel aged beers and BSPA's, find this one!

The 100% barrel fermented Autumn Maple was nice despite the lack of carbonation. It is among the spiciest beers I have ever tasted! Nicely done in that regard. I would take the Barrel Aged Autumn Maple (released last fall) over the barrel fermented version, but I still have 2 left and will drink them without hesitation.

Joining and renewing the Reserve Society was one of my best decisions. All of these special releases have been phenomenal! Melange No. 3, Barrel Aged Coton, Black Tuesday, Barrel Aged Partridge In A Pear Tree, Gunga Galunga, BA Autumn Maple, - ok I am thirsty now :)

What sort of spice notes are in the Autumn Maple? That sounds like a great sitting by the fire reading a good book beer. Well, so does the BSPA! Gotta look for those around here.

SirJW
October 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Anyone know of any stores on the westside (West LA, Culver City, Santa Monica) with a good beer selection?

I know there's a BevMo on SM Blvd, and the Wine Rack off of Pico at the 405... there has to be others...

Whole foods has a great selection.

Azagthoth
October 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM
What sort of spice notes are in the Autumn Maple? That sounds like a great sitting by the fire reading a good book beer. Well, so does the BSPA! Gotta look for those around here.

Cinnamon and clove!

Not spicy, but the yams are very prevalent in this beer and are much fitting for Thanksgiving or sitting by the fire!

BeerMan
October 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM

Whole foods has a great selection.

Cost Plus World Market is another option.

UnholyGoalie
October 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Had a bottle of Victory Baltic Thunder last night. Pretty good stuff. On the label it referred to the beer as a dark lager, yet it was a porter. Don't know how that works, but regardless it was very much like a porter without the creamy maltiness that I had expected. Dark color with the typical roasted malts/chocolate/coffee tones but a less viscous and thinner body. Good stuff.

UnholyGoalie
October 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
RR Blind Pig IPA. Not my style. More for you hop heads.

DougW8
October 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Blind Pig is one of my favorites, but today it was the 10-10-10. Ha dit last week on tap at the beer fest in Claremont, and it is every bit as good out of the bottle. Lucked out that the little liquor store at the end of my block received a case.

BeerMan
October 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM
the beer market up the street from my house has a good stock of 10-10-10. need to grab a couple of bottles soon.

BeerMan
October 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
btw, if you can find a Kern River Pumpkin Ale, grab some. I had a couple of pints at EJ Malloy's (on Broadway in LB). it was pretty good. kind of like Buffalo Bill's, but with a different spice.

SirJW
October 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Anyone try the Sierra Nevada XXX Anniversary?

Azagthoth
October 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Anyone try the Sierra Nevada XXX Anniversary?

I've had two of the three XXX Anniversary beers. The Imperial Stout is excellent. Very roasty, lots of coffee, and pretty complex overall. The barleywine is surprisingly roasty (normally barleywines are more caramely and sweet) but it works nicely. Really easy to drink for a 10% brew, and should definitely age nicely.

Their third XXX is an Imperial Helles Bock, if I recall. Still need to try that one, but didn't want to pay 15+ for a bottle when I saw it. If I can find one for ten, I'll go for it.

SirJW
October 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I saw one for 9.99 at Whole Foods, didn't get it though cuz I couldn't tell what type it was.

Stormy2213
October 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I've had two of the three XXX Anniversary beers. The Imperial Stout is excellent. Very roasty, lots of coffee, and pretty complex overall. The barleywine is surprisingly roasty (normally barleywines are more caramely and sweet) but it works nicely. Really easy to drink for a 10% brew, and should definitely age nicely.

Their third XXX is an Imperial Helles Bock, if I recall. Still need to try that one, but didn't want to pay 15+ for a bottle when I saw it. If I can find one for ten, I'll go for it.

Piling on, the Imperial Stout is delicious. Excellent is the operative word. I got a case when it came out and have 6 bottles left. It's going faster than I thought it would.

I have 1 bottle of the Imperial Helles Bock but it's in with the other laying down beers. I really should crack that one this weekend. I'll report back when I do. I fully expect a wonderful beer when I do get to it.

Watti
October 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8359/2010beertumbler.jpg

Nutty roasted deliciousness, not overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination, perfect for watching a hockey game on a cool evening, can drink all 6 of these. Not their regular hoppy madness, though the hops are still there, Sierra Nevada can apparently do no wrong.

Azagthoth
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Sierra Nevada can apparently do no wrong.

Agreed 100%! This is why they are my favorite, and have always been.

UnholyGoalie
October 31st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Friday night - Flossmoor Station Pullman brown ale - nice. It's brewed with molasses so it's definitely got a sweet/malty profile with a unique slight bitter finish that seemed to mellow out during the beer.

Last night - Goose Island Nightstalker imp stout - 11.7% ABV, so yeah, this packed a whallop! Chewey, dark, matly but with a hoppy aroma present. Alcohol is not masked very much in this beer but it was smooth going down all the same. Loved this one!

If I get a chance today I have a bottle of Guinness foreign stout in the fridge.

BeerMan
October 31st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Friday night - Flossmoor Station Pullman brown ale - nice. It's brewed with molasses so it's definitely got a sweet/malty profile with a unique slight bitter finish that seemed to mellow out during the beer.

Last night - Goose Island Nightstalker imp stout - 11.7% ABV, so yeah, this packed a whallop! Chewey, dark, matly but with a hoppy aroma present. Alcohol is not masked very much in this beer but it was smooth going down all the same. Loved this one!

If I get a chance today I have a bottle of Guinness foreign stout in the fridge.

damn! I'm gonna raid your fridge!

Genghis John
October 31st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Goose Island is cranking out some great beers

UnholyGoalie
October 31st, 2010, 07:32 PM
So, Guinness foreign extra stout...basically everything that makes it Guinness is kicked up a couple notches. Guinness with bite. Reminds me of drinking a black and tan and getting closer to the middle when you start picking up more of the Bass Ale bite. Not bad.

mitchrock
October 31st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Picked up the Sam Adams Winter 12 pack. Tried the Winter Lager. Still really good. Haven't tried the others yet.

Stormy2213
November 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Visited the Pour House after work yesterday and lo and behold they had just tapped a fresh keg of this year's Celebration Ale. Celebration is one of my all-time favs and a beer I always look forward too each year. Not sure if it's hit your local markets yet but, as always, I highly recommend seeking it out. It's consistently proven year over year over year to be one of the best holiday ales released here in the States. Go find it and enjoy!

mitchrock
November 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Stormy, I love Celebration Ale. Will have to keep a look out for it.

Azagthoth
November 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM

I picked up 2 bottles at Total Wine in Rancho Cucamonga last Sundee. Drank both and my god it is wonderful each year!

Stormy2213
November 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I picked up 2 bottles at Total Wine in Rancho Cucamonga last Sundee. Drank both and my god it is wonderful each year!

I love it as well. I love it so much that I ended up knocking down 5 pints of it last night. I fee a little fuzzy this morning....:heavy-metal:

mitchrock
November 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I can usually find it on tap at BJ's Brewery. May have to take the family there soon and get psychopuck to meet up with us.

Azagthoth
November 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I love it as well. I love it so much that I ended up knocking down 5 pints of it last night. I fee a little fuzzy this morning....:heavy-metal:

Good job, my man! I've often put down 6'ers without a struggle (not on a work night though, heh).

Stormy2213
November 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Good job, my man! I've often put down 6'ers without a struggle (not on a work night though, heh).

yea, it's those extra 4 oz. that start to add up after more than 3 pints. You start thinking "I've only had 3 pints" but that's 4 bottles. That can quickly turn into a 6 pack plus and it goes down so easily and doesn't wreck you like the higher gravity beers. TOOOOOO easy to drink a lot of Celebration Ale, especially on tap. And no, this is definitely NOT a complaint! :loopy:

Azagthoth
November 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
yea, it's those extra 4 oz. that start to add up after more than 3 pints. You start thinking "I've only had 3 pints" but that's 4 bottles. That can quickly turn into a 6 pack plus and it goes down so easily and doesn't wreck you like the higher gravity beers. TOOOOOO easy to drink a lot of Celebration Ale, especially on tap. And no, this is definitely NOT a complaint! :loopy:

Totally dude!

I simply justify excessive amounts of Celebration Ale in the sense that its only here once a year! Although it ages NICELY for an IPA, you still need it fresh to do its justice!

Stormy2213
November 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
For the record, I think I've already filled my quota for consumption of Velvet Merkin for the season. I spent the better part of 4 hours at the Pour House Friday with a huge group of friends and had nothing but Velvet Merkin. I have no idea how many I had but needless to say, I needed a ride home in the worst way. I didn't feel human again until last night. THIS is my ringing endorsement for drinking lots of Velvet Merkin while it's available. Go find it as it should be distributed everywhere in CA. It's an outstanding oatmeal stout. Just delicious and so easy to drink. Highly recommended.

PS - the new name, Velvet MerliN SUCKS balls.

Azagthoth
November 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
For the record, I think I've already filled my quota for consumption of Velvet Merkin for the season. I spent the better part of 4 hours at the Pour House Friday with a huge group of friends and had nothing but Velvet Merkin. I have no idea how many I had but needless to say, I needed a ride home in the worst way. I didn't feel human again until last night. THIS is my ringing endorsement for drinking lots of Velvet Merkin while it's available. Go find it as it should be distributed everywhere in CA. It's an outstanding oatmeal stout. Just delicious and so easy to drink. Highly recommended.

PS - the new name, Velvet MerliN SUCKS balls.

Brought a 6'er of that to a pre-Halloween party a few weeks back, and WOW ! Absolutely brilliant oatmeal stout, up there with Stockyard from Goose Island. Mmmm.

Stormy2213
November 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1919902&postcount=1

Post about the new Discovery Channel show for us beer geeks!

Genghis John
November 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Yay!

Genghis John
November 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
http://definitiveale.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sierra-nevada-southern-hemisphere-harvest-2010.jpg

Awesome batch this year. A must try.

Stormy2213
November 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
That is one of the biggest beers I've ever seen!

UnholyGoalie
November 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have a feeling that my next trip to the local spirit store will be rather expensive.

Azagthoth
November 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Start hunting down those Firestone 14's! They came out this week. I grabbed 4 at the Chino Hills Bevmo, and others I know of that have it:

Brea
Rancho Cucamonga
Glendora (will have only 2 cases Friday)

UnholyGoalie
November 12th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Great Divide smoked baltic porter. Lovely! Taste of smoke and dark chocolate. Damn, I'm gonna miss this one after it's gone!

Azagthoth
November 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Great Divide smoked baltic porter. Lovely! Taste of smoke and dark chocolate. Damn, I'm gonna miss this one after it's gone!

Had one of them last Friday night! I was thoroughly impressed, considering Great Divide generally does nothing for me. I feel the Old Ruffian and The Yeti are far overrated- but the smoked baltic porter is right on the money! Easy one to put down, and loaded with everything that makes a beer good.

Stormy2213
November 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
OK, wow. This is one of those beers. Just - WOW. I headed down to the local Friday afternoon at the behest of the owner as he had secured a 5 gallon keg of Sierra Nevada Estate. He decided to not put the tap handle up as he knew that he had liquid gold on his hands. He only told a handful of regulars that he had this and I'm glad I'm a regular! Very, very cool move IMO.

Beer pours a beautiful amber color. Nice sticky head that doesn't dissipate at all. The nose is perfect - citrus (leaning towards the grapefruit side), pine, resin, a hint of the balanced malt. I even detected a bit of stone fruit in the nose - couldn't nail it down so maybe my nose was off Friday. It just has a sort of snap to the nose - flawless. But the best part is the taste. It's just so well balanced - malty sweetness as the foundation with perfect hop bitterness on top. Like drinking liquid gold. Very nice medium body with nary a hint of the alcohol within. If the word "bright" were a flavor I'd use it to describe how this beer tastes. That really is the word that comes to mind immediately - bright. It's so smooth and easy to drink. Super fresh, outstanding finish with a wonderful lingering bitterness as you say "ahhhhhhh" after every sip.

I have to hand it to the brewers at Sierra Nevada. This one comes through in spades. Awesome, awesome beer that is worth finding if you can. Highly recommended.

Here's a link to the SN website with their description. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/estate.html

Genghis John
November 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM
OK, wow. This is one of those beers. Just - WOW. I headed down to the local Friday afternoon at the behest of the owner as he had secured a 5 gallon keg of Sierra Nevada Estate. He decided to not put the tap handle up as he knew that he had liquid gold on his hands. He only told a handful of regulars that he had this and I'm glad I'm a regular! Very, very cool move IMO.

Beer pours a beautiful amber color. Nice sticky head that doesn't dissipate at all. The nose is perfect - citrus (leaning towards the grapefruit side), pine, resin, a hint of the balanced malt. I even detected a bit of stone fruit in the nose - couldn't nail it down so maybe my nose was off Friday. It just has a sort of snap to the nose - flawless. But the best part is the taste. It's just so well balanced - malty sweetness as the foundation with perfect hop bitterness on top. Like drinking liquid gold. Very nice medium body with nary a hint of the alcohol within. If the word "bright" were a flavor I'd use it to describe how this beer tastes. That really is the word that comes to mind immediately - bright. It's so smooth and easy to drink. Super fresh, outstanding finish with a wonderful lingering bitterness as you say "ahhhhhhh" after every sip.

I have to hand it to the brewers at Sierra Nevada. This one comes through in spades. Awesome, awesome beer that is worth finding if you can. Highly recommended.

Here's a link to the SN website with their description. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/estate.html

I told you!

and that's why it deserved such a big picture!

Stormy2213
November 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I told you!

and that's why it deserved such a big picture!

??? Your picture was for the Southern Hemisphere Harvest though. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/2010_Beer_Southern.jpg

This one is the Estate Homegrown Ale.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/Estate_Homegrown.jpg

Both outstanding, as usual!

mitchrock
November 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Picked up a 12er of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Always like this one and thought it would be good when we BBQ next week and have a couple of people over.

Picked up Firestone's 14th Anniversary. Hefty price tag, so I'm hoping it's worth it.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Picked up a 12er of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Always like this one and thought it would be good when we BBQ next week and have a couple of people over.

Picked up Firestone's 14th Anniversary. Hefty price tag, so I'm hoping it's worth it.

Indeed a hefty price tag, but very much worth it!

Stormy2213
November 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Indeed a hefty price tag, but very much worth it!

How much did you guys have to pay for those - if I may ask? I may have to run down and grab a few. The release day at Firestone was a zoo so I skipped it completely.

Stormy2213
November 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM

I've been killing the SN Celebration and Firestone Velvet Merkin like there is no tomorrow. And the holiday beers are just now starting to hit the markets.

Has anybody seen if the Anchor Our Merry Christmas Ale has hit anywhere? I always like that stuff b/c it's different every year.

mitchrock
November 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
The 14th was $21.99 at BevMo.

Stormy, the Anchor was at BevMo in Cypress today.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I've been killing the SN Celebration and Firestone Velvet Merkin like there is no tomorrow. And the holiday beers are just now starting to hit the markets.

Has anybody seen if the Anchor Our Merry Christmas Ale has hit anywhere? I always like that stuff b/c it's different every year.

The new Anchor Our Merry Christmas is out.

The Firestone 14 were $21.99 at BevMo. Total Wine had some 2 dollar off coupon and some of my buddies ended up getting theirs for 16! I feel like I got ripped off, and later came to find out that some BevMos were price matching!

UnholyGoalie
November 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
DFH Theobroma. Not what I was expecting. Glad I tried it but I wouldn't look for it again.

Genghis John
November 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
DFH Theobroma. Not what I was expecting. Glad I tried it but I wouldn't look for it again.

Really?

Was it just not your kinda beer?

UnholyGoalie
November 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well, when I heard that it was brewed with cocoa nibs and powder I was expecting a porter or stout style beer, but of course Theobroma is a lighter beer with a honey golden color. I picked up the sweetness of the cocoa powder but none of the flavor. Got the bitterness of the chilies but no flavor and hardly any zing from the heat. Taste overall was boozy and reminded me of sipping some liquor. I dunno, left me wanting more of what it wasn't and less of what it was. Just not my style, I guess.

Genghis John
November 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Well, when I heard that it was brewed with cocoa nibs and powder I was expecting a porter or stout style beer, but of course Theobroma is a lighter beer with a honey golden color. I picked up the sweetness of the cocoa powder but none of the flavor. Got the bitterness of the chilies but no flavor and hardly any zing from the heat. Taste overall was boozy and reminded me of sipping some liquor. I dunno, left me wanting more of what it wasn't and less of what it was. Just not my style, I guess.
Do realize that one thing peppers do is increase the flavor of other spices.

I have had spicy beers before like Cave Creek and when they overdue the heat, they are horrible.

I was picking up a little of the chipotle smoke in the beer and also quite a bit of cocoa in the finish, but I also did have two of the Theobromas and they were both different on the ratios of the spices, cocoa, etc.
I have had consistently issues with DHF's beers before, especially the Aprihop

mitchrock
November 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I'm with you. With those ingredients, I was expecting something better and bolder in flavor. DFH's Sahtea and Bitches Brew are way better for the same price.

mitchrock
November 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
The Firestone 14th Anniversary was off the hook. Great flavor. Reminds me of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, just not as thick which makes it even better. Can get a good buzz off the 12.5 ABV in it.

Stormy2213
November 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
The Firestone 14th Anniversary was off the hook. Great flavor. Reminds me of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, just not as thick which makes it even better. Can get a good buzz off the 12.5 ABV in it.

Piggybacking on the Firestone 14 discussion, have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIY20qub7Sk&feature=related

Azagthoth
November 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Man, it hit me more like a 15% would. I think 12.5% is a very conservative figure. Maybe off a few %'s.

mitchrock
November 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Man, it hit me more like a 15% would. I think 12.5% is a very conservative figure. Maybe off a few %'s.

It's what the bottle said. I loved the buzz off of it. It's thinner than I expected for a beer of such great flavor. We probably drank it quicker as a result.

Azagthoth
November 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
It's what the bottle said. I loved the buzz off of it. It's thinner than I expected for a beer of such great flavor. We probably drank it quicker as a result.

for sure! The buzz from it was awesome and came in with no warning from out of nowhere.

Yeah, the bottle says 12.5% but I do believe its way off. It's pretty difficult to determine the ABV on barrel aged beers, let alone several BA beers blended for the Firestone 14. You've always gotta figure in the bourbon from the barrel, which is tough since its always different.

Genghis John
November 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the bottle says 12.5% but I do believe its way off. It's pretty difficult to determine the ABV on barrel aged beers, let alone several BA beers blended for the Firestone 14. You've always gotta figure in the bourbon from the barrel, which is tough since its always different.

It's really not. It's the same as determining non barrel aged.

Triple Scale Hydrometer for the win!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sKOHX_PmvKx5tM:http://mountainhomebrew.com/ProductImages/equipment/1414.jpg&t=1

mitchrock
November 16th, 2010, 11:41 AM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sKOHX_PmvKx5tM:http://mountainhomebrew.com/ProductImages/equipment/1414.jpg&t=1

Like that hydrometer! You bring the hydrometer and I'lll bring the turkey baster.

Azagthoth
November 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Hmm, I recall an interview where determining the Black Tuesday ABV in particular was difficult because of the additional booze from each barrel, and that the figure they went with was an estimate and not entirely accurate. Something like an added 3% because of the barrel alone. I would imagine this applies for several barrel aged beers?

mitchrock
November 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Az, I expect more from you. Next time post a clever use for the hydrometer. :)

Genghis John
November 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hmm, I recall an interview where determining the Black Tuesday ABV in particular was difficult because of the additional booze from each barrel, and that the figure they went with was an estimate and not entirely accurate. Something like an added 3% because of the barrel alone. I would imagine this applies for several barrel aged beers?

I'll double check

ABV is determined by comparing orginal gravity with final gravity. or on a triple sale hydrometer, there is a built in ABV %

It could be an issue with losing some water to the barrel or gaining some fermenable sugar but that would only increase alcohol % further I am guessing.

Azagthoth
November 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'll double check

ABV is determined by comparing orginal gravity with final gravity. or on a triple sale hydrometer, there is a built in ABV %

It could be an issue with losing some water to the barrel or gaining some fermenable sugar but that would only increase alcohol % further I am guessing.

Alrighty. I recall something about a White Labs company which gives you a definite figure, but apparently its too expensive.

Genghis John
November 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Az, you were right.

The barrel adds alcohol (from what was previously in there) plus some sugars the beer extracts from the wood

nick_nautious
November 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
picked up a sixer of Lagunitas' Brown Shugga.... been wanting to try it for quite some time... wow its super amazing

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/bs.jpg

Azagthoth
November 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Brown Shugga rules! Nice pick up!

Genghis John
November 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Be sure to sign up on total Wine's website, they send great coupons :)

Stormy2213
November 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
GF Double Stout + rainy afternoon + fireplace + Kings game = TOO MUCH AWESOME!

Genghis John
November 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Here is your reminder about the brewmaster's show tonight!

Azagthoth
November 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
GF Double Stout + rainy afternoon + fireplace + Kings game = TOO MUCH AWESOME!

I hope you were rocking the flannel too, my man! That is indeed too much awesome!

Stormy2213
November 22nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I hope you were rocking the flannel too, my man! That is indeed too much awesome!

LOL! In all seriousness, I WAS rocking the flannel as well. Pendleton flannels ftw!

On another note, what did you all think of Brewmasters? There was a lot I liked about the show - the inside look at the operation, the nice "how beer is made" cut aways, the thought that went into the brew. But there were a few things that I didn't care for, particularly the idiotic "rapping" that got thrown in there. I know the show is made for the general populace and not beer geeks like we have here, but come on - rapping? That was cringe-worthy IMO. Flame away.

Azagthoth
November 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
LOL! In all seriousness, I WAS rocking the flannel as well. Pendleton flannels ftw!

On another note, what did you all think of Brewmasters? There was a lot I liked about the show - the inside look at the operation, the nice "how beer is made" cut aways, the thought that went into the brew. But there were a few things that I didn't care for, particularly the idiotic "rapping" that got thrown in there. I know the show is made for the general populace and not beer geeks like we have here, but come on - rapping? That was cringe-worthy IMO. Flame away.

Booo! Throwing rap into anything is just asking for it to suck.

I didn't get to see it as I don't have cable TV, so I'll reserve judgment until I can watch it at somebody's house. Sounds like its got potential, but I hope it doesn't contribute to the mainstreamization of craft beer.

I think I'm gonna copy Stormy one night this week, and rock my red flannel with my polar bear jammy pants and curl up on my recliner with an imperial stout or barleywine. This is the absolute best time of year for beer!! Let it flow, let it flow, let it flow!

mitchrock
November 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM

My wife and I loved it. Too many times like the Firestone or Bruery videos, I get bored outof my mind. This show had me engaged the entire time.

Liked seeing how he got the different ingredients. Also, I loved the rapping and seeing how they goof around. The best beer tasting I ever did was at Alaskan Brewery. Got to drink with local fishermen and the employees and they goofed around quite a bit.

Too bad I cannot find more Bitches Brew to purchase. Loved it when I found it one time at BevMo. (Actually just read on their site that a second batch is being shipped be on the lookout.)

We tried the Pangaea on Saturday. Great beer, similar to Stone's 10-10-10.

Stormy2213
November 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
My wife and I loved it. Too many times like the Firestone or Bruery videos, I get bored outof my mind. This show had me engaged the entire time.

Liked seeing how he got the different ingredients. Also, I loved the rapping and seeing how they goof around. The best beer tasting I ever did was at Alaskan Brewery. Got to drink with local fishermen and the employees and they goofed around quite a bit.

Too bad I cannot find more Bitches Brew to purchase. Loved it when I found it one time at BevMo. (Actually just read on their site that a second batch is being shipped be on the lookout.)

We tried the Pangaea on Saturday. Great beer, similar to Stone's 10-10-10.

I did appreciate the fact that everyone there seems to really enjoy what they do. Who here isn't jealous of all the folks working there, even the guy who spilled the glue!? But the wannabe rapping I just found too corny and it was uncomfortable watching it. But overall, yes, I think the show has promise.

UnholyGoalie
November 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds like its got potential, but I hope it doesn't contribute to the mainstreamization of craft beer.

I think that's what's gonna happen, but I think it's already been going on before this show. The beer selections at my local supermarkets are actually fairly impressive. Seeing Stone, Unibroue, and some others at a Ralph's/Vons/Gelsons? It's cool and depressing at the same time. But then again, your average frat boy or Bud Light drinker is still gonna go for the domestic mass produced stuff.

Had a bottle of Great Divide Yeti. Good stuff, but I think I was more impressed with their smoked porter. Scored a couple bottles of Alaskan Smoked Porter the other day! Hell yeah, I've been waiting for it to hit the shelves!

Stormy2213
November 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think that's what's gonna happen, but I think it's already been going on before this show. The beer selections at my local supermarkets are actually fairly impressive. Seeing Stone, Unibroue, and some others at a Ralph's/Vons/Gelsons? It's cool and depressing at the same time. But then again, your average frat boy or Bud Light drinker is still gonna go for the domestic mass produced stuff.

Agreed all around on this. But I don't mind that craft brews are more accepted and mainstream these days. Hell, I want the breweries that I love to survive and thrive and the only way for that to happen is to have more people discover and start to drink their brews. I spread the word to everyone I know and I know I irritate a lot of people when I point out that the BA or Coors product they're drinking is pure crap. Tough. They need to grow some taste buds and stop settling for less. Support your local brewery!!!!

UnholyGoalie
November 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Agreed all around on this. But I don't mind that craft brews are more accepted and mainstream these days. Hell, I want the breweries that I love to survive and thrive and the only way for that to happen is to have more people discover and start to drink their brews. I spread the word to everyone I know and I know I irritate a lot of people when I point out that the BA or Coors product they're drinking is pure crap. Tough. They need to grow some taste buds and stop settling for less. Support your local brewery!!!!

I agree. I'm a novice beer snob in that I'll throw a can of Miller Lite at my friend's face (not literally, lol) but I don't really buy in for all these HTF and overly expensive craft brews. I think there are a few things at play. There's always the worry that if a brewery gets too large and overextends that the product will suffer. There's the worry that massive amounts of newfound demand will drive up prices all across the board. And, lame as it may be, there's the worry that the novelty will wear off if it's just common. Kinda like finding a great band that hasn't made it yet. When they do you kinda lose a little of that perceived ownership whether you'll admit it or not. I still kinda struggle with one.

Case in point: Ed Hardy beer. Coming to a douchefest bar near you:
http://www.edhardybeverages.com/index-images/eh_beerad.jpg

Azagthoth
November 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
There's always the worry that if a brewery gets too large and overextends that the product will suffer.

Stone being the perfect example. They were exciting when I turned 21, but it wore off pretty quick. They just got way too big and focused on business/marketing first, and the beer itself second. They went overboard with the marketing and sales gimmicks, that they lost the passion and innovation in which they once had.

Anymore, when I go to Stone, their elitism meter gets higher and higher.

Genghis John
November 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Stone being the perfect example. They were exciting when I turned 21, but it wore off pretty quick. They just got way too big and focused on business/marketing first, and the beer itself second. They went overboard with the marketing and sales gimmicks, that they lost the passion and innovation in which they once had.

Anymore, when I go to Stone, their elitism meter gets higher and higher.

I personally think Stone is producing better beers than they ever have.

As you saying their employees are getting elitist? did they hire No One or something?

No One
November 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
As you saying their employees are getting elitist? did they hire No One or something?

i am responsible for New Hire Training at Stone, or not. You decide.

Azagthoth
November 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
I personally think Stone is producing better beers than they ever have.

I can't say I've been impressed with any of the verticals since 2006 (2010 wasn't bad, but 07-09 have been horrible). Most of the collaborations were average, except the one with Nogne 0 & Jolly Pumpkin. The 14th Anniversary was horrible, 13th was decent, 12 was very nice, 11 not so much, and 10th Anniversary was the last Stone beer that really blew me away.

Seems like they got on the Belgian IPA trend for a while, and I couldn't really get into those. The Stone IRS and Old Guardian are consistent, but other than those I don't have much interest in them. Maybe one of these days they'll come out with something awesome that'll blow me away again like when I had the 10th.

And yes, I have had several experiences where the employees had elitist mentalities. They need somebody like Mitch to step in and show em how customer service is done.

mitchrock
November 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
THe Stone Old Guardian was crap this year. Mostly, I love Stone though.

Genghis John
November 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I loved the 08-08-08 and I also like quite a few of the collaborations. but I also like Beligians more than you too :)

Stormy2213
November 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Kinda like finding a great band that hasn't made it yet. When they do you kinda lose a little of that perceived ownership whether you'll admit it or not. I still kinda struggle with one.

And I was going to use the band analogy too! There is a large grain of truth to what you say. Some will succumb to trying to get too big/too fast and "dumb" down their beers. Dogfish Head is a candidate given the, what, 35(!) beers they make!!!! To me, that's a bit of gilding the lily. Even Sierra Nevada has me concerned with the glut of "seasonals" that they are now doing. I was fine when it was simply Pale, Porter, Celebration and BigFoot. Now they're almost overdoing things - albeit continuing to produce world class beers (excepting the Kellerweise - to me, THAT is the exact sort of beer aimed at Joe Six Pack).

Maybe that's the way to survive in the craft beer segment of the market. I wouldn't have a clue. But yea, I'm with you on the whole "I discovered this little gem of a brew" vibe. I feel SPECIAL when I introduce a beer I've discovered that not a lot have heard of, much less had. Once EVERYONE is drinking it, the luster does fade a bit.

BTW, took a quick run to BevMo in SLO and had a few minutes to browse the racks. They have a TON of the Sierra Nevada XXX series of beers, about 100 magnums of Anchor Merry Christmas ale, and a small handful of other holiday brews. Nothing out of the ordinary so a bit disappointing. However I did pick up a bottle of each of the following: Sierra Nevada Estate, Deschutes Mirror Mirror 2009 Reserve, Deschutes Jubel 2010, and Dogfish Head Pangaea. I've got the SN in the fridge chilling for game watching tonight. I'll be rocking the red flannel, knocking back damn fine brew, and cheering the Kings on to an overwhelming victory in a couple of hours.

Azagthoth
November 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
THe Stone Old Guardian was crap this year. Mostly, I love Stone though.

Damn, really? I never had one.

Azagthoth
November 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
I loved the 08-08-08 and I also like quite a few of the collaborations. but I also like Beligians more than you too :)

I love Belgians, just don't drink them enough because of $$$.

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Had a hell of a week. 2 visits to Russian River Brewing, a trip to Lagunitas and the special Bruery tasting event.

Genghis John
November 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Had a hell of a week. 2 visits to Russian River Brewing, a trip to Lagunitas and the special Bruery tasting event.

so you are pretty much saying that you think you are better than us?

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
so you are pretty much saying that you think you are better than us?

Last week, I pretty much was.

Stormy2213
November 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM

I say this with the deepest jealousy possible - YOU BASTARD!!!!!! :drinks:

DougW8
November 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Last week, I pretty much was.

Have to agree with you, a hell of a good week.

Azagthoth
November 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Which Bruery Barrel Tasting session were you at ?

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Which Bruery Barrel Tasting session were you at ?

12-1:30. You?

Azagthoth
November 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
12-1:30. You?

2:00 - 3:30

Man, that Oude Tart w/Sour Cherry was something else, huh? I dug the BA 2TD, and that new Workman's Porter.

Arrogant Ba$tard
November 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I thought the Melange #1 was very nice. Oude with Black Tuesday. I dug all the sours. I must have been in a sour mood. :)

Genghis John
November 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I drank a bunch of homebrew last night that Arrogant Ba$tard hasn't got to try yet

http://www.lionsdenu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

UnholyGoalie
November 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM
SA Winter Lager. Good stuff. Not the greatest beer I've ever guzzled, but I would buy a sixer of it again.

BeerMan
November 26th, 2010, 10:59 PM
SA Winter Lager. Good stuff. Not the greatest beer I've ever guzzled, but I would buy a sixer of it again.

I like their White Ales better.

UnholyGoalie
November 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I've had their White Ale and it's pretty good but that's a different style, no? I'm not a huge SA fan, but to me their Oktoberfest is the star of their lineup. Have yet to try their imp stout, though.

Had a bomber of La Fin du Monde last night. Great beer but a bit lighter in body than I remember. Still packs a wallop, though.

Drinking a friends homebrew coffee stout. Nice. It has a flavor in the middle that reminds me of tobacco and considering both of us are cigar smokers, I'm digging it.

Genghis John
November 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I

Had a bomber of La Fin du Monde last night. Great beer but a bit lighter in body than I remember. Still packs a wallop, though.

The same brewery makes Trader joes christmas beer. It's out right now. it's called their "Vintage Ale"

BeerMan
November 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM
The same brewery makes Trader joes christmas beer. It's out right now. it's called their "Vintage Ale"

I still have their 2005 release. hmmm.

Azagthoth
November 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I still have their 2005 release. hmmm.

Dude that is something to hold on to ! Enjoy it when you pop that open man!

Azagthoth
November 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Yeah, they've been contracting for quite some time. Kind of sad there haven't been Unibroue Anniversary Broues for a few years now....... I really miss those, but at least we've still got the TJ Vintage Ales.

BeerMan
November 28th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Dude that is something to hold on to ! Enjoy it when you pop that open man!

I plan to this year.

mitchrock
November 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Just tried Demolition by Goose Island. Nice tasting Belgian. Could taste the malt and yeast on the tip of the tongue. Will have to buy more of these.

chu gar
November 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Get it while you can!!! Knock anyone down in your way!!

http://www.lagunitas.com/images/beers_brownshugga_main.jpg

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/brownshugga.html

Genghis John
November 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Get it while you can!!! Knock anyone down in your way!!

http://www.lagunitas.com/images/beers_brownshugga_main.jpg

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/brownshugga.html
At times, that beer is way too sweet for me.

That is a have one of these and then have a different beer beer.

mitchrock
November 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
At times, that beer is way too sweet for me.

That is a have one of these and then have a different beer beer.

Agreed. Nice taste at first but hard to drink a whole bottle.

go
December 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I am enjoying Trader Joe's Winterfest now. Great toasty flavor. Just don't serve too cold.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10707/41002

mitchrock
December 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Had Dogfish Head Chickory Stout on tap last night at Beachwood BBQ. Great stuff! Need to go back this weekend if they have it again. Also had a pint of Pliny the Elder.

Tried the Pursuit of Hopiness wiht psychopuck on Saturday night. Nice combo of hops.

Also tried the AssKisser double IPA. Incredible beer! Was suprised at the malt in it as I was only expecting a hoppy flavor. Need to buy more.

mitchrock
December 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hit Beachwood BBQ up for their Winter Brews week. Had Alesmith's Yulesmith out of the cask. Great beer nice hop finish. Followed that with a Speedway Stout that as aged in Whiskey barrels. The Whiskey was a little strong otherwise, it was good.

Hit BevMo after that and got two 6ers of Dogfish Head Chickory Stout and a 6er of Velvet Merlin.

Azagthoth
December 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hit Beachwood BBQ up for their Winter Brews week. Had Alesmith's Yulesmith out of the cask. Great beer nice hop finish. Followed that with a Speedway Stout that as aged in Whiskey barrels. The Whiskey was a little strong otherwise, it was good.

Hit BevMo after that and got two 6ers of Dogfish Head Chickory Stout and a 6er of Velvet Merlin.

Jeeze. Everytime I read one of your beer posts, I think to myself "Mitch is the man".

Now you are more like The King! What I would give to have Barrel Aged Speedway Stout! The Yulesmith is always one to look forward to during the holidays as well. I think the Chicory Stout is one of the few I like from DFH, and that Velvet Merlin is awesome.

BeerMan
December 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
had the Velvet Merlin. great stuff. would be the best oatmeal stout I have ever had, after Stone's 12th.

Dogfish's Chicory Stout. not bad. was expecting more coffee out of it, but got a bit of a licoricey flavor instead, which would be why it's called a Chicory Stout.

UnholyGoalie
December 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Went to a beer tasting on Friday night that featured some HTF beers. For me, GI Bourbon Co. Vanilla Stout stole the show. Smacks you in the jaw with full on vanilla and then settles into a boozy, bourbon alcohol taste and then smooths out at the finish. Heavenly. Darklord was excellent, however to my newbie tastebuds it tasted very similar to Old Rasputin, and since OR is MUCH easier to find, I wasn't too impressed. Other beers were tasted but I either can't remember their names or they didn't make too much of an impression on me.

Yesterday had a bottle of Blue Point American Pale Ale. Good stuff! Not as hoppy as I was expecting, but smooth and balanced and would probably make a good session beer.

mitchrock
December 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Some friends came over yesterday and gave some nice treats. got Chimay (Blue) good stuff. Also got a nice goblet to add to my drink ware. finally, I got a 6er of Victory Golden Monkey. I''ve got lots of beer here.

Had the Chicory Stout I mentioned a few posts ago at a party on Saturday. Good stuff as always. Also cracked open a bottle of the Velvet Merlin. A nice upgrade over and Alaskan Oatmeal Stout. Good Stuff.

Stormy2213
December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I found a convenience store/deli in SLO yesterday that serves Chimay Tripel (white label) on tap. I ostensibly went in looking for Bitch's Brew, the only place in SLO County that ever had any, but he was completely out. I ended up buying a bottle of Theobroma instead. How cool is this - the owner saw what I was buying and came over and engaged me in a long conversation about his impressive array of craft beers. He was suggesting this and that to me and once he realized I sort of knew a bit about good beers he pointed out that he had Chimay Tripel on tap in the deli section of his store. How could I resist. I ended up having a nice sit down for about 20 minutes in the middle of shopping, enjoying one of the greats in the beer world. I'll definitely be going back there since he said he carries the Chimay simply b/c he likes it and NOT b/c he sells much. It's like his own private beer tap except for those 'in the know'. Anyway, if you're in SLO ever, look for the Crossroads Liquor and Deli on Broad St. (it's on the way to the airport). Well worth it.

mitchrock
December 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I found a convenience store/deli in SLO yesterday that serves Chimay Tripel (white label) on tap. I ostensibly went in looking for Bitch's Brew, the only place in SLO County that ever had any, but he was completely out. I ended up buying a bottle of Theobroma instead. How cool is this - the owner saw what I was buying and came over and engaged me in a long conversation about his impressive array of craft beers. He was suggesting this and that to me and once he realized I sort of knew a bit about good beers he pointed out that he had Chimay Tripel on tap in the deli section of his store. How could I resist. I ended up having a nice sit down for about 20 minutes in the middle of shopping, enjoying one of the greats in the beer world. I'll definitely be going back there since he said he carries the Chimay simply b/c he likes it and NOT b/c he sells much. It's like his own private beer tap except for those 'in the know'. Anyway, if you're in SLO ever, look for the Crossroads Liquor and Deli on Broad St. (it's on the way to the airport). Well worth it.

Never had the Chimay Tripel. Need to try that.

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Never had the Chimay Tripel. Need to try that.

My favorite tripel, hands down.

Here's what I scored recently:

50/50 - Ecplise Heaven Hill Imperial Stout (2009 Rye Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Heaven Hill Imperial Stout (2010 Rye Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Four Roses Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Elijah Craig Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Evan Williams Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Marin Old Dipsea Barleywine (2009 Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Last weekend I had the Midnight Sun Berserker Imperial Stout. I think the damn thing was infected, as it had a funky sour thing going on.

Stormy2213
December 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
My favorite tripel, hands down.

Here's what I scored recently:

50/50 - Ecplise Heaven Hill Imperial Stout (2009 Rye Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Heaven Hill Imperial Stout (2010 Rye Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Four Roses Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Elijah Craig Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)
50/50 - Ecplise Evan Williams Imperial Stout (2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Marin Old Dipsea Barleywine (2009 Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Last weekend I had the Midnight Sun Berserker Imperial Stout. I think the damn thing was infected, as it had a funky sour thing going on.

WOW!!!! That is an impressive array of strong beers. Where did you get those? Those immediately went on to my "beers I need to find" list.

UnholyGoalie
December 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
I went to Ladyface Alehouse yesterday. It's right down the street from my work so it's super easy (some would say too easy) to get to. Had a pint of their Midnight Special which is their seasonal scotch ale. I think they throw in some wine barrel wood into the brew. Anyway it was decent although lacked the punch and balls that I was expecting of a scotch ale. Had a pint of their Picture City Porter afterwards which was quite nice. They sprinkled coffee bean nibs on top which added a very nice coffee profile to it.

Had the sausage plate along with the beer. Sausage plate was legit! Definitely would recommend.

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
WOW!!!! That is an impressive array of strong beers. Where did you get those? Those immediately went on to my "beers I need to find" list.

The Eclipses and Midnight Sun were purchased at the Bruery Provisions in Orange, Ca. They sold out in an hour's time though. Some random places across So Cal have them, but I don't know where. The forums on Beeradvocate would be a great place to check for that!

Got the BA Old Dipsea from Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora. Best shop in town!

mitchrock
December 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Met Obejuan at Total Wine today. Picked up the Chimay Tripel (couldn't resist after such glowing reviews), Lagunitas Capuccino Stout, Nogne/Stone Collaboration Pumpkin Ale and Great Divide's Yeti in Aged Oak Barrels.

BeerMan
December 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Met Obejuan at Total Wine today. Picked up the Chimay Tripel (couldn't resist after such glowing reviews), Lagunitas Capuccino Stout, Nogne/Stone Collaboration Pumpkin Ale and Great Divide's Yeti in Aged Oak Barrels.

the Capuccino Stout was fantastic.

I need to find this Pumpkin Ale. Dogfish used to have their Punkin Ales in the stores, but I think, according to the recent Brew Masters episode, it's not happening this year.

I had the opportunity to taste the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale before my wench baked it into a pumpkin bread. I, I mean we, thought that it's best for use in baking instead as it was a bit too bitter on the tongue. the pumpkin bread turned out pretty good.

UnholyGoalie
December 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I never saw any Punkin Ale in the stores this year. Sucks. I still have some Buffalo Bills pumpkin beer in the fridge. The one bottle I've had thus far was excellent! I have a bottle of Smuttynose pumpkin ale in the fridge that I got in a trade. I've heard Pumpking is really good stuff but I don't think it gets distributed out here.

mitchrock
December 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Bevmo had the Dogfish Heah Punkin ales about a month ago and it lasted a couple of weeks. Good stuff.

sonnyboy11
December 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
I was at the Bottle Room in Whittier on Sunday and the owner of The Bruery was there dressed as Santa. I got a pic I'll post the wife and I took with him.

Anyway, I rocked a couple glasses of Three French Hens. Thick and dark with the consistency of molasses (ok, maybe not that thick but you get the idea). Big sweet open and a coffee finish. 10%+ alcohol. Two glasses down and the wife suddenly became the designated driver!

http://thebruery.com/index2.html

http://www.thebottleroombar.com/

sonnyboy11
December 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Oh, and while I am on the subject of beer, Angel City Brewing is moving to downtown!

http://la.eater.com/archives/2010/12/02/angel_city_brewing_opening_downtown_early_next_yea r.php

Right around the corner from Wurstkuche. Not like I needed yet another place with beer in the area I can walk to from home (going broke), but pretty stoked nonetheless!

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Mitch

the Bruery Provisions is indeed the one in Oldtown Orange just north of the circle on Main street. Just a few doors down from that awesome grinder/soda shop.

BP has a hell of a selection. Lots of rare stuff from Belgium, and other hard to find craft brews.

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM

Did Nogne 0 and Stone do a Pumpkin type of beer? Or are you thinking of the Stone/Nogne 0/Jolly Pumpkin collaboration?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7730/54355

I've been so overwhelmed and impressed with many of the beers coming out of Norway. Nogne 0 and Haandbryggeriet have been cranking out some stuff on par with the best of the US.

Hope you dig the Chimay Tripel. I still cant get over how good the Chimays are, even though they are readily available just about anywhere. Its really the 8th wonder of the world.

mitchrock
December 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Did Nogne 0 and Stone do a Pumpkin type of beer? Or are you thinking of the Stone/Nogne 0/Jolly Pumpkin collaboration?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7730/54355

I've been so overwhelmed and impressed with many of the beers coming out of Norway. Nogne 0 and Haandbryggeriet have been cranking out some stuff on par with the best of the US.

Hope you dig the Chimay Tripel. I still cant get over how good the Chimays are, even though they are readily available just about anywhere. Its really the 8th wonder of the world.

The collaboration beer you mentioned is the one I picked up. Waiting to drink it on Xmas or Xmas Eve.

Drinking the Chimay Tripel. Really good beer. Hint of sweetness and spices with that great yeast and malt flavor.

Stormy2213
December 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I have never had an Abita beer before and the Pour House had just tapped a keg of the Vanilla Porter. I love porter (love love love porter) so gave it a shot. I don't like neg reviewing beers but really, it was a glassful of meh. Plenty of vanilla - actually the vanilla overwhelms everything else. I guess if you like a big dose of vanilla in the nose and on the palate, but with little else going for it, you might like it. Beyond the vanilla it was thin and watery. I can't recommend even giving this one a taste if you find it.

However, I did quickly recover by ordering a pint of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, which he also just put in tap. I love the Old Rasputin. It's one of the first "heavy" beers I fell in love with a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago. Old Rasputin has everything I love in good beers - a beautiful nose, nice hefty body, a mouthful of flavors where you discover new tastes each sip - just a deep, dark brown/black of opaque goodness. Love it.

mitchrock
December 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Im with you on the Abita beers. They pretty much suck.

Haven't had an Old Rasputin in years but always loved it.

BeerMan
December 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Bevmo had the Dogfish Heah Punkin ales about a month ago and it lasted a couple of weeks. Good stuff.

were they in the twist-off bottles?

mitchrock
December 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
were they in the twist-off bottles?

lol no these were the batch that was approved for sale to the public.

Azagthoth
December 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Just had the 2010 50/50 Eclipse Heaven Hill BA Imperial Stout. The Rye barrel compliments this stout so nicely! It's so warm, almost as if you were drinking hard alcohol but the stout characteristics kick in and are absolutely wonderful! It is definitely a slow sipper and one of the more challenging stouts I've put down.

Now working on the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru which I've had before. Absolutely stunning! Its the equivalent to Mitch in a santa suit and an Obejuan Elf accompanying me in a North Pole pour on Christmas Eve with Stormy to my side talking about how marvelous the experience is.

Stormy2213
December 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Now working on the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru which I've had before. Absolutely stunning! Its the equivalent to Mitch in a santa suit and an Obejuan Elf accompanying me in a North Pole pour on Christmas Eve with Stormy to my side talking about how marvelous the experience is.

Tears of joy fill my eyes. It's the best of the XXX they released, ain't it? BTW, I'm ready for that trip to the North Pole any day!!! Let's go!

I went out and got two large bottles of the Chimay Tripel today solely b/c of the deli owner who took an interest in talking beer with me. I'm making a rib roast tonight and am well under way with the first bottle. I'm sharing with family tonight so the second is minutes away from being drunk.

And off thread topic, I'm cracking a 2000 Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo to pour with dinner and then cracking a fairly young Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 1998 Champagne to serve with cheese for desert. I'm in heaven tonight!

Azagthoth
December 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Tears of joy fill my eyes. It's the best of the XXX they released, ain't it? BTW, I'm ready for that trip to the North Pole any day!!! Let's go!

I went out and got two large bottles of the Chimay Tripel today solely b/c of the deli owner who took an interest in talking beer with me. I'm making a rib roast tonight and am well under way with the first bottle. I'm sharing with family tonight so the second is minutes away from being drunk.

And off thread topic, I'm cracking a 2000 Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo to pour with dinner and then cracking a fairly young Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 1998 Champagne to serve with cheese for desert. I'm in heaven tonight!

Sounds like your place is the place to be! Chimay Whites, and a good sounding wine even though I'm still delving into that area I feel Im becoming more familiar with it! I had a couple of nice glasses of cabernet sauvignons at dinner tonight! Great pairing with Italian food! You know, I really think the Chimay White would be awesome to marinate some meat in! Think about it.......

About to wrap up my 3 French Hens Now!

"That's what she said" Booom!

What next?????

UnholyGoalie
December 26th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Had a little beer tasting with friends last night. By far, my favorite was a bottle of Older Viscosity. Dark, chewey, caramel, whiskey, Irish coffee, but peculiarly no pronounced coffee or chocolate tones. Second place for me was a bottle of Speedway Stout.

Also tasted a bottle of Lukcy Bastard (nice, you definitely get some of the dbl bastard in there but the blend takes the edge off, plus you get the bitterness of Oaked), Kilt Lifter (we had two bottles and the one I brought must have been old or infected because the taste was off and the difference between the two was pretty noticeable), Maudite (very good) and a few others.

BeerMan
December 26th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Az, look at you talking about experimenting with these quality brews. it wasn't too long ago that we rescued you from drowning in cases of Butt Lites in the back alley behiind some 7-11, now you're way ahead of some of us.

wtf happened? if I were you, I'd be dead broke already. LOL

mudfisher
December 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.schloss-eggenberg.at/site/en_srt_samichlaus.asp?id=87

OMG this Malt is awesome. Not bitter and has a refreshing taste. Very high alcohol content(14%).

A must try.

Stormy2213
January 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I died and went to heaven Saturday. The Pour House scored a case of 22 oz bottles so I had to dive in. Wow. Unbelievably great IPA. And the best part about it, the owner was sitting there at the Pour House when we were there. Apparently he had made a visit to our area for the weekend and just happened to be there when I was. I spoke my praises and wished him well, making sure to let him know that we have a big group of regulars who will drink anything the guy produces. Anyway, the beer was just as its name - outstanding. Citrus nose, some pine in there. And just a perfect, balanced IPA with solid malt and hops in every drop. Just outstanding. Truly.

To cap the afternoon off I had a pour from the Class V Stout that they make which the Pour House now has on tap. Another WOW moment with that. One of the blackest stouts I've had. Toffee, bitter chocolate, coffee flavors predominate. And so damn easy to drink. This will be a deadly one when I've got more than a couple of hours to burn b/c I can see drinking a LOT of this stuff in the future.

Rumor has it Pour House is putting the Just Outstanding IPA on tap this week. Can't wait to get back down there! This is one beer where the name sets a high bar and doesn't let down - it definitely lives up to its name.

BeerMan
January 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I died and went to heaven Saturday. The Pour House scored a case of 22 oz bottles so I had to dive in. Wow. Unbelievably great IPA. And the best part about it, the owner was sitting there at the Pour House when we were there. Apparently he had made a visit to our area for the weekend and just happened to be there when I was. I spoke my praises and wished him well, making sure to let him know that we have a big group of regulars who will drink anything the guy produces. Anyway, the beer was just as its name - outstanding. Citrus nose, some pine in there. And just a perfect, balanced IPA with solid malt and hops in every drop. Just outstanding. Truly.

To cap the afternoon off I had a pour from the Class V Stout that they make which the Pour House now has on tap. Another WOW moment with that. One of the blackest stouts I've had. Toffee, bitter chocolate, coffee flavors predominate. And so damn easy to drink. This will be a deadly one when I've got more than a couple of hours to burn b/c I can see drinking a LOT of this stuff in the future.

Rumor has it Pour House is putting the Just Outstanding IPA on tap this week. Can't wait to get back down there! This is one beer where the name sets a high bar and doesn't let down - it definitely lives up to its name.

you definitely need to make a trek to Kernville and try their Citra DIPA. I thought the JO was one of the best IPAs I ever had, then that DIPA came along. it's a limited release though, so you might want to buy a growler or three. I have three of those sitting around at my house waiting to be refilled!!

needless to say I have been an extremely happy camper knowing that more of the KRBC stuff is becoming readily available throughout SoCal and beyond. as of now only the JO and the Class V are on the shelves regularly.

cheers!

Stormy2213
January 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
you definitely need to make a trek to Kernville and try their Citra DIPA. I thought the JO was one of the best IPAs I ever had, then that DIPA came along. it's a limited release though, so you might want to buy a growler or three. I have three of those sitting around at my house waiting to be refilled!!

needless to say I have been an extremely happy camper knowing that more of the KRBC stuff is becoming readily available throughout SoCal and beyond. as of now only the JO and the Class V are on the shelves regularly.

cheers!

No need to drive. He's getting a keg of the Citra DIPA soon! I can't wait. Somebody who made the trek a couple of weeks ago brought a growler in the other day and shared. I was, unfortunately, not there that afternoon. Everybody who tasted it said it was the cat's meow so I can't wait. In the meantime, I'll have to be satisfied once he cracks the JO IPA keg. We have to get the Green Flash Imperial IPA blown first. It's rough I tell ya!

Henry1515
January 19th, 2011, 07:42 PM
KRBC Citra kicks ass!,My new favorite beer...cant wait for Mammoth Bluesapalooza this year!!!

UnholyGoalie
January 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, JO and Class V (my favorite of the two) are outstanding brews. I haven't had the chance to try Citra but word around the campfire is that it's actually better than Pliny. Was hoping a friend could hook me up with a growler of their pumpkin seasonal but that never happened. I need to stop by there next time I'm in Isabella.

I've had so many beers since my last post in this thread that I don't remember most of them.

Green Flash Double Stout - awesome!
Alaskan Smoked Porter - good, but not as smooth as I remember.
Moylans Sullivans Port Aged Stout - Eh. Didn't like the port essence.
Firestone Velvet Merlin - Very nice! Glad I still have 2 bottles left.
Anchor Christmas - Nice again, although not quite as smooth as last year.
Big Sky Imp Brown (IIRC) - awesome stuff. reminded me of a porter.

BeerMan
January 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah, JO and Class V (my favorite of the two) are outstanding brews. I haven't had the chance to try Citra but word around the campfire is that it's actually better than Pliny. Was hoping a friend could hook me up with a growler of their pumpkin seasonal but that never happened. I need to stop by there next time I'm in Isabella.

the Pumpkin Ale was available in bottles at EJ Malloy's on Broadway in LBC for Halloween last year. it was pretty tasty, better than most pumpkin ales from other brewers. I think the Dogfish one is better but I was not fortunate enough to be able to grab a pack last year.

Azagthoth
January 21st, 2011, 08:30 AM
I haven't had the chance to try Citra but word around the campfire is that it's actually better than Pliny.

Definitely better than Pliny. The plinys are nice, but I find them overrated. There are better IPAs out there!

UnholyGoalie
January 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Old Viscosity. Good stuff but I'm still in love with Older Viscosity.

BeerMan
January 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Flying Dog Imperial Coffee Stout kicks the living **** out of all coffee stouts (and porters), but I still prefer that elusive Kona Pipeline Porter.

Stormy2213
January 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Definitely better than Pliny. The plinys are nice, but I find them overrated. There are better IPAs out there!

Ahem, Pliny is not overrated by any measure. It is one of the world's best Imperial IPAs, period. To say otherwise is just being silly Az. I agree there are other great IPA's out there, but Pliny is deserving of it's reputation as one of the definitive IPA's out there.

That being said, and in the IPA vein, I got to have a pint of the SN Hoptimum Imperial IPA last night on tap at Pour House. Wowza. Huge hop nose - citrus and pine and sweet malt. It sort of reminded me of the Bigfoot but not as malty, more hoppy. It was crazy good. It's thick and chewy and sort of hot as well. It's definitely not for the faint of heart at 10.4%. It took about 45 minutes to finish, not b/c I didn't like it - it's just a complete sipping beer. Not something to just drain the glass and move on but something to be savored and enjoyed to the fullest.

And you'd think that after that one pint I'd had enough but Pour House also has the Drake's Hopocalypse Imperial IPA on tap as well so I had a tulip glass of that. This one was just down the scale from the Hoptimum - resiny nose, some malty sweetness present there. And a nice, clean, grapefruit and malt taste. Very, very good Imperial IPA. I could drink a lot of this as well - only it clocks in at 9.25%.

Those 2 were plenty for the afternoon/early evening. I slept like a baby last night btw! I highly recommend both if you can find them

BeerMan
January 30th, 2011, 02:28 PM
just stopped by the local beer market here today. got not only FW's Reserve and Lagunitas Cappucino Stout, but grabbed one of the last Delirum Noels.

someone must have overheard me say something the other day because all of KRBC's Just Outstanding IPAs are gone. bastard.

sadly, SN Hoptimum hasn't arrived here yet.

mitchrock
January 30th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Drinking a SN Hoptimum right now. Good stuff. There were only 5 bottles left at BevMo when I picked it up. Love the taste of the whole hop cone.

UnholyGoalie
February 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Sipping on a krug of Ladyface Russian Lullaby. Much creamier mouthfeel than I would have assumed off the pour. Good stuff. Not picking up too much chocolate, mainly coffee/espresso and roasted malts on the front with some hoppiness at the finish to balance it out. Doesn't have the depth that some other imperial stouts have, but it's good stuff. Glad I picked up this growler.

Stopped off yesterday to the brewery and tried some of their stuff. Had a pint of their cabernet BA wiezenbock which was pretty tasty (definitely picked up the winey essence). My buddy got a pint of their 1st anni (Quad) which was quite nice. Reminded me of La Fin Du Monde with a darker color and more malt backbone. He also had his fav their which is their tripel, which reminds me even more of LFDM. Had a taster of their skunkwerks Picture City Porter with maple syrup and blueberries on cask. Interesting stuff. I'll try a pint of it next time (if they still have it) but I don't know how much more than a pint I could drink.

BeerMan
February 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ladyface? never heard of it. are they new?

UnholyGoalie
February 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Yes, they are local to Agoura Hills. LADYFACE ALE COMPANIE - ALEHOUSE & BRASSERIE (http://www.ladyfaceale.com/)

Let me know if you're in the area. They are literally a couple miles away from my work.

edit: their food is quite good as well, though a bit pricey.