PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Azagthoth
February 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Had Firestone's Double Jack over the weekend. Very good, definitely boozy (9.5%) for a Double IPA. The booze somewhat overpowered the hop strength, but was still a nice beer. $7.99 ain't bad either for a 22 oz of it.

North Coast's Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009 was another one I recently had, and is undoubtedly a contender for one of my favorite barrel aged brews. It's an "old ale", just shy of 14% abv but sipped like a nice caramely-like barleywine. Everything was nice, except for the price tag - $23.99/just over a pint. Ouch.

BeerMan
February 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Had Firestone's Double Jack over the weekend. Very good, definitely boozy (9.5%) for a Double IPA. The booze somewhat overpowered the hop strength, but was still a nice beer. $7.99 ain't bad either for a 22 oz of it.

North Coast's Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009 was another one I recently had, and is undoubtedly a contender for one of my favorite barrel aged brews. It's an "old ale", just shy of 14% abv but sipped like a nice caramely-like barleywine. Everything was nice, except for the price tag - $23.99/just over a pint. Ouch.

ouch is right. damn breweries charging a bit too much for some quality beers. (think Bruery and especially Firestone's 14th)

how is the Double Jack compared to the Union Jack?

btw, I had some Kona Pipeline Porter but came away disappointed with it. as compared to the past releases (a couple of years back), this year's has been way overpowering on coffee alone.

Azagthoth
February 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
ouch is right. damn breweries charging a bit too much for some quality beers. (think Bruery and especially Firestone's 14th)

how is the Double Jack compared to the Union Jack?

btw, I had some Kona Pipeline Porter but came away disappointed with it. as compared to the past releases (a couple of years back), this year's has been way overpowering on coffee alone.

I hear ya on the Firestone 14. Nice beer and all, but looking back I shouldn't have paid close to $100 for 4 bottles, just not worth it for that one. You can expect anything barrel aged these days to be a bargain at $20, and lots of Bruery beers that are barrel aged or some type of special release are usually close to that. If I really like it, I don't mind spending that much, considering their bottles are 750ml compared to the $23.99 Old Stock for 16oz.

I prefer the Union Jack, because the hop flavor and bitterness is a slight notch above being balanced with the malt, leaving that crispness which makes you want another sip, or pint, hehe. The Double Jack is great, but the booze overpowers the hop bitterness/flavors. I'd take a 6 pack of Union Jack for 10 bucks which I can make a night out of, as opposed to 8 bucks for a 22 oz of Double Jack, and already being a 9.5% 22 oz bottle into the night (roughly 3 1/2 5%ABV 12 oz beers) in about 20 minutes. You have to put down the Double Jack quick anyways, since it gets warm from the booze very quick. It doesn't improve as it gets closer to room temperature, like a stout would.

I still say give it a shot. The price isn't bad for a double IPA.

Jaygokings!
February 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have been down on all the Sam Adams stuff lately.

Particularly

Irish Red
Blackberry Witbier

and my fav

Chocolate Bock

also if you want some good Belgian Ale get a bottle of Kwak from bevmo. Good ****.

Azagthoth
February 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Speaking of Sam Adams and their consistent trend of releasing a nice beer one year, followed by a horrendous version the year after:

Noble Pils

I loved last year's, but this year's SUCKED.

anyways, the blackberry wit is a nice one. I will always have a soft spot for the traditional Boston Lager. Can put those down all day long.

jerseydevil
February 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Pardon me if I am retreading old news...has anyone tried

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/twang.jpg

???

And I got to taste BARE KNUCKLE STOUT at Sea World when they still had their, what I have been told is now defunct, beer tasting bar...I was wondering, does anyone know if Anheuser Busch still makes this tremendous beer? And if so...is there anyway to buy it anywhere????

BeerMan
February 9th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Ralph's is having a sale on Firestone beers. $6.99 for 6-packs. I found a case of Velvet Merlin which is surprising because you could only find it at specialty liquor stores.

BeerMan
February 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Particularly

Irish Red
Blackberry Witbier

and my fav

Chocolate Bock

also if you want some good Belgian Ale get a bottle of Kwak from bevmo. Good ****.

I had a chance to try some of SA's releases. Irish Red, Scotch Ale, (something) Rye Ale. I prefer the latter two over the Red.

!Kings!
February 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers (http://www.sierra30.com/#/our-brewers-reserve-oak-aged-ale)

Had a bottle last night with some broiled salmon fillets...outstanding.

Azagthoth
February 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers (http://www.sierra30.com/#/our-brewers-reserve-oak-aged-ale)

Had a bottle last night with some broiled salmon fillets...outstanding.

That beer rules, and is my favorite of the 4 30th Anniversary Beers.

Actually, I never had the Imperial Helles, but the imperial stout and barleywine were outstanding.

!Kings!
February 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
That beer rules, and is my favorite of the 4 30th Anniversary Beers.

Actually, I never had the Imperial Helles, but the imperial stout and barleywine were outstanding.

I plan on working my way through the rest of them over the weekend..

jammer06
February 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Particularly

Irish Red
Blackberry Witbier

and my fav

Chocolate Bock

I tried a bottle of Kwak for ****s and giggles, I used to know a Korean girl with the last name. Something about that beer kicks your but.
Speaking of the Chocolate Bock, does anyone know if they sell 6'ers of it anywhere? I really liked it and I hate having to get a holiday pack to have some.

Stormy2213
February 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Last night at Pour House they tapped a keg of S?nner K?lsch. Not sure if there are any kolsch fans out there but there should be. I was very impressed. I wasn't in the mood for a hop bomb for a change and went straight for the kolsch. The S?nner K?lsch poured a hazy yellow with a nice foamy head that holds all the way to the bottom of the glass. The nose was grassy hops and beautiful, earthy malt with a nice dose of yeast. It drinks VERY smoothly and the taste is "just right" in a way that quenches your thirst, satisfies your need for a well balanced brew, has a very crisp character, and has you tasting something a little bit different in every mouthful. Honey, grass, grain, bread, butter. Completely refreshing. This is a beer I hope he brings back in Spring and Summer when it heats up even more. This is a beer I could drink a lot of lounging in the sun with some light snacks. Very nice brew.

UnholyGoalie
February 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM
BP Black Marlin Porter. Good stuff. Good complexity in a beer that doesn't have the chewiness of some stouts. Good depth and smooth as well. I like.

Azagthoth
February 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Drinking a SN Hoptimum right now. Good stuff. There were only 5 bottles left at BevMo when I picked it up. Love the taste of the whole hop cone.

I was lucky to pick one up last night..... A+ on this beer!

I'll admit, for me it was even a challenge to put this down (a challenge as such hasn't really been prevalent in my beer drinking over the past 5 years or so). This beer is what I was hoping the Double Jack would be. At a high ABV, the hops in the Hoptimum kick your ass! Insanely bitter from the hops, and such a wonderful hop taste. Very grassy and earthy. The plethora of hops mask the alcohol, at least while it was cold. I drank it quick to avoid risking a subpar beer when warm. Not sure if that would happen, but didnt want to take any chances.

Also lined up for the weekend

Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale
Game Day Ice (So curious to see how bad this will be)
BP Big Eye IPA (Haven't had this in years, always loved it, and want to re-evaluate it. Only $3.99 for a 22 oz, STEAL!)

UnholyGoalie
February 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Delirium Nocturnum. Good stuff. Was bought for me by a coworker. Very sweet on the tongue. I dig Belgian ales but the profile of coriander/cloves/spices can get obnoxious after a while. However I think the booziness of this is keeping that profile in check. Digging it.

mitchrock
February 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM

I'll admit, for me it was even a challenge to put this down (a challenge as such hasn't really been prevalent in my beer drinking over the past 5 years or so). This beer is what I was hoping the Double Jack would be. At a high ABV, the hops in the Hoptimum kick your ass! Insanely bitter from the hops, and such a wonderful hop taste. Very grassy and earthy. The plethora of hops mask the alcohol, at least while it was cold. I drank it quick to avoid risking a subpar beer when warm. Not sure if that would happen, but didnt want to take any chances.

BP Big Eye IPA (Haven't had this in years, always loved it, and want to re-evaluate it. Only $3.99 for a 22 oz, STEAL!)

Had the BP Big Eye IPA Last night ant it was awesome! Great buy for 4 bucks.

Azagthoth
February 12th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Delirium Nocturnum. Good stuff. Was bought for me by a coworker. Very sweet on the tongue. I dig Belgian ales but the profile of coriander/cloves/spices can get obnoxious after a while. However I think the booziness of this is keeping that profile in check. Digging it.

Did you get the coriander in this one? Its a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, which would lend some notes of dark fruit and licorice before the coriander which is more prominent among witbiers.

I didn't like this one personally, had it a couple years back. But at least you get a good buzz from it.

Azagthoth
February 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Had the BP Big Eye IPA Last night ant it was awesome! Great buy for 4 bucks.

Ohhh Mitch I am loving this so much right now! I would pay 8 bucks for this in a bomber! How do they let this stuff out for only 4 bucks? Oh, I know !!! - The whole hop shortage was bull**** to begin with!

mitchrock
February 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ohhh Mitch I am loving this so much right now! I would pay 8 bucks for this in a bomber! How do they let this stuff out for only 4 bucks? Oh, I know !!! - The whole hop shortage was bull**** to begin with!

Ballast Point is a great brewery that just isn't talked about much. Never had a bad brew by them.

Watti
February 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone here know of a way to get a hold of Obejuan? I've started homebrewing and wanted to let him know and have a couple questions, but he doesn't seem to be around...

PM me if possible.

And on topic, Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale is solid, picked up a 22oz at Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora.

For the record, I grew up in Glendora, lived there for 20+ years, and only just now heard about that place. FML.

BeerMan
February 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Creeping Death would be the main guy to go to for homebrewing advice, Watti.

UnholyGoalie
February 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Did you get the coriander in this one? Its a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, which would lend some notes of dark fruit and licorice before the coriander which is more prominent among witbiers.

I didn't like this one personally, had it a couple years back. But at least you get a good buzz from it.

I'm not sure. I could tell that this beer had a different profile than most of the other Belgian ales I've had. The first thing I noticed was the sweetness of the beer, then the spices came in although a bit muted compared to other ales, and then it was washed over by the boozy finish. I don't remember getting much dark fruits, or at least not nearly as much as I'd expect to get from darker beers, but there was a dark, perhaps slightly maltier sense about the beer.

The name seemed to be appropriate, because after the beer and a slug of Nyquil (getting over a cold) I slept pretty soundly for the next 10 hours!

Edit to add: About to reach for some Velvet Merlin right now.

Watti
February 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Creeping Death would be the main guy to go to for homebrewing advice, Watti.

Cool, good to know. Everything went way smoother than expected, fermenting in the closet right now. :cheers:

More than anything, just wanted to give Obe a heads up and offering him a couple bottles, so if anyone knows how to reach him (email, facebook, etc) drop me a PM.

Stormy2213
February 14th, 2011, 08:54 AM

A++++ and how. I was lucky enough to get to have it on tap. It only lasted a couple of days. Hop heads delight!

The SN Homegrown is another outstanding SN effort IMO. And all the Ballast Point brews are great. I don't think they have a beer less than very, very good in any style. Along those lines Pour House managed to get a keg of Sculpin a couple of weeks back. As with most awesome hoppy ales, it blew in 1.5 days. Just can't keep that stuff long enough b/c it's so damn good.

How bad was the GD Ice? And wtf is it anyway?!

Azagthoth
February 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Game Day Ice was horrendous, as I had expected. It's a 24 oz can for 2 bucks I saw at 711. After 2 sips I poured it down the drain, but hey - its another beer to add on my list (about 1300 or so now).

Stormy2213
February 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Game Day Ice was horrendous, as I had expected. It's a 24 oz can for 2 bucks I saw at 711. After 2 sips I poured it down the drain, but hey - its another beer to add on my list (about 1300 or so now).

Worse than Chelada? http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQviyWKMyIJ0t8izQjvfdmgP8irtVOM JVWcGJFjFjRgX7aXJLl

Vile, vile, vile stuff.

Azagthoth
February 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Worse than Chelada? http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQviyWKMyIJ0t8izQjvfdmgP8irtVOM JVWcGJFjFjRgX7aXJLl

Vile, vile, vile stuff.

Never had the Chelada stuff, but its safe to say they're all in the same ballpark!

If I'm gonna go cheap, I actually do enjoy Icehouse and PBR. Great lawn mowing beers!

Stormy2213
February 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Never had the Chelada stuff, but its safe to say they're all in the same ballpark!

If I'm gonna go cheap, I actually do enjoy Icehouse and PBR. Great lawn mowing beers!

The next time you throw up a little in your mouth you can safely say you've had a Chelada! :wink2: Tecate, Modelo Especial, XX, or Pacifico are my yard work beers of choice. PBR also works in a pinch.

mitchrock
February 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Tecate and Modelo are my yard work beers. Also Tecate is best for beer can chicken.

Azagthoth
February 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I had the Negro Modelo, best of the Mexican beers I've had.

DMAN3474
February 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Just outstanding IPA from kern river brewing

Its really good, smoother than I thought it would be.

UnholyGoalie
February 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I had the Negro Modelo, best of the Mexican beers I've had.

I was told the master brewer of this beer was a German, hence why it's a dark beer. I heard this after making the comment that my people (Mexicans) could not produce a decent beer to save their lives, let alone a decent dark beer.

Is it the weekend yet?

Stormy2213
February 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Just outstanding IPA from kern river brewing

Its really good, smoother than I thought it would be.

JO IPA is a top 5 IPA in my book. Completely lives UP to it's name. Just Outstanding.

Watti
February 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Drake's Hop Salad, on tap at Father's Office in downtown Culver City

Holy crap, this thing gives Pliny a run for its money. Crazy well-balanced, hops pouring out your ears throughout, complex. Find it, drink it. :cheers:

jammer06
February 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If you guys can find it there's a micro in SF that's finally started canning beers (not sure why they don't bottle) anyway it's 21st Amendment. I enjoy going down there and they have lots of different stuff. I think they're canning their fireside chat and it's not too shabby (better draft) for a brown ale. Haven't tried their other stuff to see how it holds up. Good none the less.

UnholyGoalie
February 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Went to the bar last night and had some pints:

Stone Vanilla Porter (no way this is a porter. Thick and chewy with a nice vanilla extract flavor)
Firestone Union Jack (solid)
RR Blind Pig (much better and more balanced on tap than from the bottle. Really impressed with this)
Stone Old Guardian '10 (very good. Gonna have to buy some bottles of this one)

UnholyGoalie
February 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Sipping on Irondale Double Chocolate Stout. Has a peculiar bitterness that I wasn't expecting. Anybody else ever have one of these? I'm not sure if the bitterness is intentional or I got a bad bottle.

BeerMan
February 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM
Went to the bar last night and had some pints:

Stone Vanilla Porter (no way this is a porter. Thick and chewy with a nice vanilla extract flavor)
Firestone Union Jack (solid)
RR Blind Pig (much better and more balanced on tap than from the bottle. Really impressed with this)
Stone Old Guardian '10 (very good. Gonna have to buy some bottles of this one)

the only thing about Stone's Vanilla Porter that disappointed me was the apparent lack of vanilla flavor. did you get any of that?

Stormy2213
February 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
KRBC Class V Stout. Get it. Get a lot of if. Drink it. Highly recommended in case you can't read between the lines.

Azagthoth
February 22nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
the only thing about Stone's Vanilla Porter that disappointed me was the apparent lack of vanilla flavor. did you get any of that?

When compared to their Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean, yeah, there is quite a lack of vanilla flavor. The vanilla bean version was over the top.

Stone Smoked Porter With Vanilla Bean - Stone Brewing Co. - Escondido, CA - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/38446)

Azagthoth
February 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
KRBC Class V Stout. Get it. Get a lot of if. Drink it. Highly recommended in case you can't read between the lines.

That is a stout which blew me away. Its better than most of the hyped stouts on the market.

UnholyGoalie
February 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM

I got a good amount of vanilla flavor, as if they dumped a few bottles of vanilla extract into the kettle. It was a good beer but was not as good as the Bourbon Co. Vanilla Stout I tasted a while ago.

mitchrock
February 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Stone's 2011 Old Guardian Belgo is awesome. They added a Belgian yeast to the barleywine. LOVE it.

The scotch ale collaboration between Stone/Green Flash/Port Brewing was dissapointing. Very boring. Expect much better with those 3 breweries involved.

BeerMan
February 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
KRBC Class V Stout. I have been telling you guys about it!

Azagthoth
February 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I cant believe I forgot to mention what I had over the weekend. Never too late... I'll start with a couple of Danish ales that I picked up while at the Bruery Provisions bottle shop

Bryggeriet Dj?vlebryg ApS - Gudelos

This is an imperial stout, in the American Imperial Stout fashion (not the English Russian Imperial Stout style). And by god (pun fully intended here) they nailed the style! It reflected all of the characteristics of an Imperial Stout, while being incredibly balanced and easy to consume. The coffee/roast was in check, with lots of chewy malt to counter the dryness. Check out the writing on the label below....

http://www.djaevlebryg.dk/produktereng.php#Gudeloes

"About: Bryggeriet Dj?vlebryg and the Danish Atheist Society have entered into an unholy alliance and the result is "Godless": This first batch is a somehow accessible imperial stout with its 8.9% abv. It offers burnt notes from the malt mingled with sweet nuances and a warming depth from the alcohol. Even though "Godless" was originally aimed at members of the Atheist Society, it is now available in more or less all our outlets.
In these times, when companies are expected to show social responsibility, we in the brewery have decided to follow suit: For each unit sold we donate 1 Danish Krone to the Danish Atheist Society"

Next beer of the weekend was their Old Mephisto, which is an English style barleywine. I used to reach for an American barleywine first, but I have really come around to appreciating the English version. Alesmith ruined it for me early on when they were bottling their Old Numbskull in green bottles. However, after having it on tap at their brewery, it completely changed how I felt about the style in general. Back to this one..... very subtle as most english barleywines are. Indeed heavy on the caramel, with some slight hop bitterness. I honestly drank this one way too quick to really focus on it, it was just simply that good! If you want a barleywine that is way too easy to drink, this is a perfect example. I've been saying this for a while - American brewers should watch out for Norway and Denmark. They are just as impressive in my book, and are really dominating the European market as far as innovation and creativity goes.

Next

The Bruery Cuadruple - When I checked out the reviews for this one on beeradvocate, I think it was at a B, which usually means its underrated, nobody cares about it, and pretty damn good - which it was! Its a Quadruple, but instead of using the belgian candi sugar, they replaced that with agave syrup. I was impressed! I was expecting a beer with some tequila twist to it, but that certainly was not the case. It really tasted like their Two Turtle Doves (Belgian Style dark Ale) except sweeter compliments of the agave syrup. I am so glad this one isnt hyped and going on Ebay for hundreds of dollars (as some of their other beers are). I will stock up on these, and enjoy them in the years to come. The carbonation was perfect on this, which is hard to come by on a Quadrupel, considering the ABV in that style is generally high, resulting in low to moderate CO2.

The Bruery Old Richland - Hell yeah! Very hoppy, and somewhere between a Double IPA and American Barleywine. I dont know if The Bruery ever officially gave it a style, because its really in the middle. Highly recommend this one, and definitely soon before the floral hop styles begin to fade. Super easy to put this one down, and the hop flavors are more prevalent than the actual hop bitterness. Nicely done.

Finally for the weekend, I had Left Coast's Ale Epeteios. Not too shabby for an American Imperial Stout, but I think I would pass on this one if confronted with it again. Lots of roast and coffee notes, but in the end pretty average. Some more caramel would have been a nice compliment, but Id take a cup of hot coffee over this one and save some liver cells and my $10 bucks for the bottle.

Fooferah
February 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
If you guys can find it there's a micro in SF that's finally started canning beers (not sure why they don't bottle) anyway it's 21st Amendment. I enjoy going down there and they have lots of different stuff. I think they're canning their fireside chat and it's not too shabby (better draft) for a brown ale. Haven't tried their other stuff to see how it holds up. Good none the less.

21st is awesome. They've been canning for years, and are on the forefront of the canning revolution. You can get some of them here at BevMo sometimes, particularly the Watermelon Wheat.

(Pretty easy to find... they are practically right under the Bay Bridge!)

DRGinLBC
February 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Stopping by to recommend 2:

First:
http://cameronstokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sierra-nevada-hoptimum-bottle.jpg
Delicious beer. Excellent hoppiness. Big fan of Sierra Nevada so this was an added treat.

Second:
http://www.mutineermagazine.com/img/blog/red_poppy_ale.jpg
This years is the best I've had. Scope it out.

Stormy2213
February 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Stopping by to recommend 2:

First:
http://cameronstokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sierra-nevada-hoptimum-bottle.jpg
Delicious beer. Excellent hoppiness. Big fan of Sierra Nevada so this was an added treat.

I was lucky enough to have some of this on tap at the Pour House. It lasted 1.5 days before the keg was blown. Outstanding stuff. Seek it out.

mitchrock
February 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hopitmum is awesome. Just hard to find.

DougW8
February 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Whole Foods on PCH in Long Beach had it as of last weekend.

Azagthoth
February 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Here's what I have lined up for the weekend:

AleSmith - Barrel Aged Wee Heavy
Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project - Baby Tree

If my buddy comes through, he'll be filling up my Bruery growler with their new malt liqour being debuted today. Its called Cornballer, and it's a 9.5% hoppy malt liqour. Cant wait!!!

DougW8
February 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Heading to Chicago tomorrow for a conference. Anyone familiar with the local brews I should try while I'm there?

UnholyGoalie
February 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Goose Island is out of Chicago, aren't they? You can find their Belgian stuff here in SoCal, but I haven't seen their darker beers around here anywhere.

GI Nightstalker: righteous
GI Bourbon County Vanilla Stout: to steal a line from my buddy: angel c*m.

mitchrock
February 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Love Goose Island. I need to go to Chi town.

Azagthoth
February 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
No need to say what Unholy and Mitch already suggested. Goose Island is a must!

As big as they are, its a shame their stuff isnt easy to come by out here. They have some of their Belgian style ales (not bad, nothing exciting though) but their stouts and other beers are phenomenal!

DougW8
February 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

jammer06
February 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Goose Island is there, but there's also alot of Wisconsin beers available there that you won't get here either. You won't be a popular guy if you ask for beers from there but keep your eyes open and you'll find some.
BTW these places are always classy:
http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000kve8sgBy9Nk/s

Stormy2213
February 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Heading to Chicago tomorrow for a conference. Anyone familiar with the local brews I should try while I'm there?

Never been here but it comes recommended by some friends in Chicago.

Home | Revolution Brewing (http://revbrew.com/)

Beers | Revolution Brewing (http://revbrew.com/beers)

DMAN3474
February 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
GI bourbon county stout is one of my favorites.

apparently the bourbon county vanilla is in retirement :(
Goose Island (http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/2011_beers/3.php)

UnholyGoalie
February 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.bloodsprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/darth-vader-noooo.jpg

DRGinLBC
March 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

Stearn's Liquor in LB. He's got about 8 cases on the floor. $9.99 a bottle is a bit much though.

DRGinLBC
March 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/4596684913_be8dfd681d.jpg

Look for it...and enjoy.

Azagthoth
March 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Had Port's Mongo Double IPA on Fridee night. Huge on the Columbus hops, with an overall nice hop flavor (cascade and amarillo too) with just a slight malt backbone that makes this beast a hophead's delight. What I really liked was the imbalance of hop to malt, as any hoppy brew over 8% with too much malt drinks far too warm. This one is all hop and had an exceptionally dry finish.

Get this one while it is fresh! Blows the pants off Pliny the Elder IMO.

DRGinLBC
March 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/4596684913_be8dfd681d.jpg

Look for it...and enjoy.

That picture sucks. This is made by Alpine (for those wondering). They currently have these at Stearn's Liquor in LB also.

Very good.

Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company - Alpine, CA - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/7597)

DRGinLBC
March 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Had Port's Mongo Double IPA on Fridee night. Huge on the Columbus hops, with an overall nice hop flavor (cascade and amarillo too) with just a slight malt backbone that makes this beast a hophead's delight. What I really liked was the imbalance of hop to malt, as any hoppy brew over 8% with too much malt drinks far too warm. This one is all hop and had an exceptionally dry finish.

Get this one while it is fresh! Blows the pants off Pliny the Elder IMO.

Blows the pants off? Hmmm, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I'll take a Pliny any day over Mongo...but that's just me.

What do you think of Knuckle Sandwich?

Stormy2213
March 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Good article about brewing in Germany from Slate.

Slate: Why German beer culture is in decline - Slate.com - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41872277/ns/slatecom/)

And on the Pliny vs. ???? Can't we all agree that Pliny simply IS a great beer? Better for some, less so for others. But in the big picture, it cannot be said that it's not a supreme beer.

DMAN3474
March 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
anyone know of any good brewery tours around LA (aka not driving down to SD or up north to far)

SirJW
March 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Pete's Wicked Ales - So Long | The Brew Club (http://thebrewclub.com/2011/03/01/petes-wicked-ales-so-long/)

The Day - Raising one last glass to Pete's Wicked | News from southeastern Connecticut (http://www.theday.com/article/20110302/ENT04/303029978/1044/ENT)

Stormy2213
March 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Pete's Wicked Ales - So Long | The Brew Club (http://thebrewclub.com/2011/03/01/petes-wicked-ales-so-long/)

The Day - Raising one last glass to Pete's Wicked | News from southeastern Connecticut (http://www.theday.com/article/20110302/ENT04/303029978/1044/ENT)

That's sad. Back in the day Pete's was one of the few craft beers you could get all over the place. Pete's Wicked Ale was pretty good from what I recall. Looks like another case of a big brewer buying a small one and letting it die off due to neglect.

Azagthoth
March 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Blows the pants off? Hmmm, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I'll take a Pliny any day over Mongo...but that's just me.

What do you think of Knuckle Sandwich?

Of course its just opinion, and I do stand by my statement of it blowing the pants off of PTE. I would go for the Mongo first, every time. I was that impressed.

Haven't had the Knuckle Sandwich yet. Gotta get around to that. Any thoughts on it? Can you pick up a bottle anywhere other than the brewery?

Azagthoth
March 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Good article about brewing in Germany from Slate.

Slate: Why German beer culture is in decline - Slate.com - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41872277/ns/slatecom/)

And on the Pliny vs. ???? Can't we all agree that Pliny simply IS a great beer? Better for some, less so for others. But in the big picture, it cannot be said that it's not a supreme beer.

Of course Pliny is a great beer. Its just one I dont ever feel the need to drink again. Had it, enjoyed it, but there are more accessible Double IPAs out there that I would want to drink instead. I feel the same way about Pliny the Younger. Had it once, enjoyed it, but am definitely not going to wait in a line of 100+ people to hopefully snag a glass at Hollingshead.

I really like the double ipas that somehow slip under the beergeek radar, like Hop Stoopid. That stuff was wondrous, and inexpensive in the true Lagunitas fashion.

Stormy2213
March 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Of course Pliny is a great beer. Its just one I dont ever feel the need to drink again. Had it, enjoyed it, but there are more accessible Double IPAs out there that I would want to drink instead. I feel the same way about Pliny the Younger. Had it once, enjoyed it, but am definitely not going to wait in a line of 100+ people to hopefully snag a glass at Hollingshead.

I really like the double ipas that somehow slip under the beergeek radar, like Hop Stoopid. That stuff was wondrous, and inexpensive in the true Lagunitas fashion.

Yes, Lagunitas flies under the radar of most and I haven't had a single beer from them that I didn't find to be great. Well, the Brown Sugga' was a bit much for me, but all in all, anything you get there is good. Hop Stoopid is very good. Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and Little Sumpin' Extra, uber good imo. I love that stuff when it comes out. I drink a LOT of both when I find them.

As for Pliny, well, we don't get it distributed around here. We get it if somebody makes a run up and brings a case back so we don't get it often. When we do, I imbibe.

For similar, we can get Sculpin here and KRBC JO IPA often and those are "go to" for me. Haven't been able to get the Citra IPA here but once and I missed out. Can get the DFH 90 Minute everywhere and frankly, it's not all "that" to me. Love the Green Flash IIPA and Pour House gets that about once every 3 months. It blows (the keg) after a couple of days. Port Brewing Hop 15 lasts about the same, though it's a tough one to sink more than 1-2 of. A bit on the heavy side. The SN Hoptimum is great, but as others have said, a bit pricey. Racer X, like all Bear Republic beers, outstanding. That's another under the radar brewery that makes damn fine brews. So, enough of THAT. Seeking Hop Salad and Citra IPA. Gotta try those both.

BTW, there is a new brewery based in SLO, TapIt (Tap It Brewing Co.™ - Fine Hand Crafted Ales - San Luis Obispo (http://tapitbrewing.com/)) , and as reluctant as I was going into tasting their IPA, I was suitably impressed. It's a pretty damn good IPA. Pour House has it on tap now and is considering replacing the Union Jack (on constant) for awhile. Their APA (American Pale Ale) is all sorts of meh though. Word is they're also going to try their hand at distilling and the first booze will be a SLO single malt whisky. Count me intrigued. I'll report on when they release it and when I try it. Rooting for the home team with these guys. I hope they kill it like Charlie Sheen kills it!

rinkrat
March 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
The World's Strongest Beers (http://coolmaterial.com/roundup/the-worlds-strongest-beers/)

mitchrock
March 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
still need to get a hold of the 120 minute IPA

BeerMan
March 3rd, 2011, 08:40 PM
That's sad. Back in the day Pete's was one of the few craft beers you could get all over the place. Pete's Wicked Ale was pretty good from what I recall. Looks like another case of a big brewer buying a small one and letting it die off due to neglect.

sad ending. Pete's is one of the few that got me started on the craft beers. their Wicked Ale and Strawberry Blonde were my favorites, til I broadened my horizon.

RIP Pete's.

Azagthoth
March 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM

It was easy to get a few years back, but I rarely see it. You aren't missing out on anything, though. It literally smells like Shoe Goo, and tasted as such. I split it with about 5 other people, and it resulted in a drain pour.

Stormy2213
March 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM

It was easy to get a few years back, but I rarely see it. You aren't missing out on anything, though. It literally smells like Shoe Goo, and tasted as such. I split it with about 5 other people, and it resulted in a drain pour.

I've heard that from all the beer friends I have who have gotten their hands on it. The consensus is that it's not a good beer so don't waste your money if you find it.

Arrogant Ba$tard
March 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Of course its just opinion, and I do stand by my statement of it blowing the pants off of PTE. I would go for the Mongo first, every time. I was that impressed.

Haven't had the Knuckle Sandwich yet. Gotta get around to that. Any thoughts on it? Can you pick up a bottle anywhere other than the brewery?

The Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich is outstanding. They are out of it everywhere I have checked. I have one left in the fridge. Another pretty good DIPA is Great Divide Hercules Double IPA. I recently did a flight of IPAs during the Super Bowl and one of the stars was the Firestone Double Jack.

As for Pliny the Elder, I do love it and am lucky to have a source close to home that gets it at least twice a month. Blind Pig sometimes as well.

mitchrock
March 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
HAd a couple of Dogfish Head Burton Batons last night. Great stuff Maynerd.

sonnyboy11
March 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Just a reminder for you beerheads today- Angel City has a beerfest going on all weekend right across from its new location in downtown. They'll have their beers there plus craft beers from other brewers. I haven't been by yet but expectin to go after the game today

216 South Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=216+South+Alameda+Street,+Los+Angeles,+CA&aq=0&sll=34.047717,-118.237653&sspn=0.00873,0.019205&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=216+S+Alameda+St,+Los+Angeles,+California+90 013&ll=34.042828,-118.232353&spn=0.00873,0.019205&z=16)

UnholyGoalie
March 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just finished a bottle of Stone/Port/GF Highway 78. Eh, pretty pedestrian. Mild chocolate malt and not a whole lot else. Alcohol content not well hidden. Lacks depth. Much better scotch ales out there.

Last night had a bottle of Scuplin. Excellent. Of all the IPA's I've had, this one gave me the most nuances of fruit. Had hints of apricot and melon within the hops. Enjoyed it.

Friday night got tanked on pints of 90min IPA (overly sweet but okay), Andy Gator (okay, nothing special), Alagash Black (enjoyed. will have to revisit this one), and Ten Fidy.

BeerMan
March 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Just finished a bottle of Stone/Port/GF Highway 78. Eh, pretty pedestrian. Mild chocolate malt and not a whole lot else. Alcohol content not well hidden. Lacks depth. Much better scotch ales out there.

thanks for that. now I'll know to not get that bottle next time I hit the store.

btw, I just had the Double Jack. I found it to be a bit harsh as it was not easily drinkable. my wench liked it, though.

Azagthoth
March 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I picked up a new one over the weekend that I hadn't seen before, the Scaldis Triple. I loved their Noel, so I figured their Triple would be right on par - but no! A very bland, uninspired, and basic triple. Not worth the 16 dollar price tag :(

A buddy of mine was at some tasting in Phoenix over the weekend, and brought me back a growler of The Lost Abbey's Red Poppy. Absolutely delicious (I've had it before) again, this time around. Apparently, Tomme Arthur of the LA threw in a keg of the stuff for this tasting, or something like that. So my buddy was able to bring back a full growler and asked if I wanted it......and of course I did!

Azagthoth
March 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Alrighty folks!

With the warmer days approaching (85 yesterday), I am definitely going into the same transition I did last summer (PBR, craft lagers, etc) as the barleywines and imperial stouts are slightly less appealing in general during the summers here. We had plans to BBQ some burgers last night, so I dropped by the new Fresh N Easy and picked up some ****ing awesome jalapeno/poblano burger patties for me, and the bacon cheddar patties for my wife. Of course, I had to drop by the beer section, and came across a beer I noted last time I was there, called Dutch Republic 1581. $3.99/6 pack. I figured, why the hell not??? I was going to be BBQing, and what better than to throw back a few cold ones while grilling. So I picked up a 6'er, popped one open when I got home to start BBQing, and I LOVED it! Put it down in a matter of minutes, and went onto my second of the BBQing session. No bull****, no glasses for a pour, just drank them straight out of the bottle! Definitely brought me back to the high school days of beer consumption :)

I want to call it a Heineken clone to some extent, as the Euro Pale Lager (specifically the Holland sub-style if you will) was evident. However, even though this beer comes in a green bottle - I detected NO skunk to it! Also, it isn't nearly as heavy as Heineken is. This stuff is far better than some of its competitors (Orangeboom, 3 Horses, etc) and at 4 dollars a 6 pack, you can simply not beat it. No joke, I could have put down 12 of these last night if I felt like it.

Definitely recommended for those on a budget, or prefer to go cheap when going cheap during the hot summer months. I'm definitely picking up more of this next time I go to Fresh n Easy!

Some of these cheap beers can really go a long way if you look for them. These "cheap" beers, are less expensive, and far better than your Bud, Miller, and Coors stuff. I have nothing but the utmost of respect for many of these underground blue collar lawnmowing type of beers.

UnholyGoalie
March 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I just don't seem to ever get an impulse to stray away from my beloved dark beers, weather be damned. There are some good lighter beers I've had, though. Kona Longboard Lager being one.

To me pale lagers all tend to taste the same and they all tend to taste similar to the Bud/MGD/Coors of the world, so I tend to stay away.

Azagthoth
March 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I just don't seem to ever get an impulse to stray away from my beloved dark beers, weather be damned. There are some good lighter beers I've had, though.

I don't either, but if its new to me, I'll try it for the sake of having something new to add to the list. Turns out, this one was definitely a winner for both its taste and price, which is a rare bonus.

BeerMan
March 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
To me pale lagers all tend to taste the same and they all tend to taste similar to the Bud/MGD/Coors of the world, so I tend to stay away.

I wholeheartedly agree. I just have to remind myself that as I go about picking up a pack of lagers.

has anyone tried the Hermitage stuff? I've been reading up on it ever since I got that Bevmo special in the email recently. here's the link to a pretty well-written review of three of Hermitage's stuff.

Beers in Review: Hermitage Ale of the Hermit, Menage a Singe and Hoptopia Double IPA | BetterBeerBlog (http://www.betterbeerblog.com/index.php/2010/09/19/beers-in-review-hermitage-ale-of-the-hermit-menage-a-singe-and-hoptopia-double-ipa/)

I'll look into grabbing one of their IPAs and check back with you.

UnholyGoalie
March 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM
The Irondale Double Chocolate stout I talked about a page or so ago I believe is brewed by Hermitage. It sucked, to be honest. But I'm up for trying something new.

mitchrock
March 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM
The Menage a Singe should be a great beer with three monkeys on the label! Actually tried it with psychopuck a year ago. OVER CARBONATED which is a shame because what was left was monkey bliss.

DougW8
March 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM

I just wish they had Yuengling out here. When I went to Pittsburgh last year, it became my beer of choice when I wasn't sampling micro brews. It is an excellent lager, in fact most people will just ask for a lager, and expect Yuengling.

go
March 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
If you want a lager, I recommend Full Sail LTD seasonal lagers. Full Sail just came out with a new one. Want to try.

LTD 05 - Limited Edition Lager (http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/beers/ltd-05.cfm)

You can find them at Trader Joes for 6.50 a 12oz 6pack.

DougW8
March 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
If you want a lager, I recommend Full Sail LTD seasonal lagers. Full Sail just came out with a new one. Want to try.

LTD 05 - Limited Edition Lager (http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/beers/ltd-05.cfm)

I bought some this last week. Wasn't as impressed with this recipe, but it is actually better straight from the bottle than in a glass.

go
March 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I bought some this last week. Wasn't as impressed with this recipe, but it is actually better straight from the bottle than in a glass.

What do you think of the other LTD lagers?

I will try this one myself this weekend.

Azagthoth
March 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM

The Full Sail LTD's are among the best lagers I've ever had. I think I have had the 02 and 03.

Stormy2213
March 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Sort of hate to admit it but Samuel Adam's Boston Lager is a pretty damn good beer if you want to have a good lager that is available everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of their beers simply b/c I don't like Jim Koch for some stupid reason. But they do make very high quality beers in most styles that they brew.

I'm a big Pilsner Urquell fan and will also pick up the SN Summerfest Lager when the weather starts to warm up.

Azagthoth
March 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Sort of hate to admit it but Samuel Adam's Boston Lager is a pretty damn good beer if you want to have a good lager that is available everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of their beers simply b/c I don't like Jim Koch for some stupid reason. But they do make very high quality beers in most styles that they brew.

I'm a big Pilsner Urquell fan and will also pick up the SN Summerfest Lager when the weather starts to warm up.

Summerfest rules! SA Boston Lager is great.....easy to put down many of those on a warm day.

UnholyGoalie
March 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
For my heathen friends who drink the Bud/MGD/Coors swill I constantly tell them to step it up to at least SA. I've come to like the normal boston lager. If that's the only thing available at the bar, I'm happy to down pints of it.

DougW8
March 11th, 2011, 01:42 PM

I have really like the other ones, and in fact made many trips back to Trader Joe's to buy up every six pack they had available.

Azagthoth
March 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Picked up the Firestone Abacus, which is a barrel aged barleywine. Not sure when I'll get to it, as I am working on a 6'er of the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, which if I may add - is my favorite beer of alltime!

go
March 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM

They didn't have 05 at my local TJs. But they did have 04. Drank/shared them this weekend. As good as always. Had some watching the Kings game yesterday.

Apparently this one is relatively new also. Started in December. Beware - high alcohol content of 7% but it is very drinkable.

DRGinLBC
March 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://irondalebeer.com/images/irondale-johnny-label.jpg

Very pleasantly surprised with this beer. I wasn't expecting much. An unfiltered IPA...with great hop notes. If you are at BevMo, pick one up. Only $5.99. Let me know what you think.

mitchrock
March 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM
http://irondalebeer.com/images/irondale-johnny-label.jpg

Very pleasantly surprised with this beer. I wasn't expecting much. An unfiltered IPA...with great hop notes. If you are at BevMo, pick one up. Only $5.99. Let me know what you think.

Got to look for that one.

Question, what does unfiltered mean as far as beer goes?

Azagthoth
March 15th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Got to look for that one.

Question, what does unfiltered mean as far as beer goes?

Im guessing due to the unfiltering, this one might be a bit cloudy like a Hefeweizen? I believe some hefeweizens are unfiltered or partially unfiltered, resulting in the cloudy appearance... Don't quote me though!

DougW8
March 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Im guessing due to the unfiltering, this one might be a bit cloudy like a Hefeweizen? I believe some hefeweizens are unfiltered or partially unfiltered, resulting in the cloudy appearance... Don't quote me though!

I will quote you because you are right, in addition to many bottle and cask aged brews. It is just yeast sentiment left behind from the fermentation. Some feel that it is higher in nutrients, much like unfiltered apple juice.

mitchrock
March 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys

Just tried North Coast's Old Stock Ale 2009. comes in about 12.5% Old Stock Reserve Ale (http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-OldStockReserve.htm)

Love the bourbon taste. It goes for $21.99 at BevMo. The one in Cypress has it.

Stormy2213
March 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
This might be quite a drive for most but I figured some might want to take a road trip. I already got my ticket. Looks like they're still finalizing the lineup but so far, so good......

Firestone Walker and Mutineer Magazine Present From The Barrel Event | Mutineer Magazine (http://www.mutineermagazine.com/blog/2011/03/firestone-walker-and-mutineer-magazine-present-from-the-barrel-event/)

I can't wait. It's going to be a blast.

BeerMan
March 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM
New Belgium Mighty Arrow Pale Ale

tastes more like an IPA to me due to its hoppiness. if this comes in 6 packs, I'd go for it.

Azagthoth
March 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Had Firestone Walker's "Abacus" on Friday night. Barrel Aged barleywine which is used in their anniversary beers (they consist of blends of several BA beers). Honestly, they need to market this stuff and put the priority here. Not that the anniversary beers are lousy, its just that as great as they are, the Abacus kicked their asses to the dirt. The barrel is so smooth and prevalent, you don't even taste a drop of booze, and honestly you could have fooled me into thinking Abacus wasn't a barleywine. I dont know how anything at 13% can be put down like a glass of water. My guess is the long barrel aging and sweetness that barleywines develop as they mature. This stuff gave me the impression that it had to be maturing for at least 3 years. Sometimes barleywines get way too syrupy, sweet, and caramel like after they peak, but the genius effort behind this one seems to keep Abacus at an eternal peak.

Definitely an A grade beer.

Azagthoth
March 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Here was tonight's lineup

Russian River Sanctification - Finally a blonde ale I can say kicked ass! I think it all had to do with the sourness, though.

Russian River Salvation - Blindfold me with the design stating that "Peedge recommends the strawberry milkshake at the Mad Greek" I honestly couldn't tell you a difference between this and The Bruery's Two Turtle Doves except the label demonstrating that there was a difference of 3.5% ABV. So much roast and toasted nuttiness with superb carbonation. Hollingshead had 2 cases, so definitely seek this one! I know some on this board enjoy the Belgian Strong Dark Ales, and this is among the best of the American versions.

Modelo Especial - I am really bummed I ignored this brew over the years. Finally one that surpasses all of the Mexican brewed beers that I have consumed. It's certainly not Black Tuesday, but I can indeed down these without the sour cheek feeling you get after taking your first sip of Uncle Darrel's beer he intentionally left for you on top of the tool storage cabinet to try when mom wasn't looking.... What is amazing is that this company also brews Corona, which tastes like Patty Roy's chode sweat - although Corona is the better of the two on paper.

Two thumbs up for Modelo Especial! I am really digging it!

UnholyGoalie
March 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Did some beer tasting with a couple friends yesterday:

KRBC Citra - Without a doubt one of the best DIPA's I've ever had. Surprisingly smooth and with enough fruity hop presence without smacking you upside the head with OMGHOPS. Dangerously smooth. Loved it.

Grand Teton Pursuit of Hoppiness - started of the day with this and while my notes were very lacking on this one I enjoyed it. Other than "good" the only note I jotted down on this one was "buy".

Foothills Sexual Chocolate - big, roasty, chocolate forward with a very apparent flavor of dark bittersweet chocolate. A great change of pace from the other beers.

Alpine Exponential Hoppiness - Not true to it's name as it had the malty backbone of a scotch ale, but still quite enjoyable However, if you're expecting a hop bomb, you'll probably be let down. I happen to love scotch ales, so this one was nice.

Troegs Nugget Nectar - Lovely, not as heavy as the other hoppy beers but a bit more light and crisp. The hop profile was different and more floral as I remember it. I was gifted a bottle of this and look forward to revisiting it.

Ladyface 1st Anni Quad - my contribution. This was one of the later beers we cracked opened so it appeared smoother, however drinking it now (gotta polish off the growler) this beer is pretty intense and certainly has some bawls. I know their website says 11% ABV and you can definitely taste some of the alcohol. Still, this is a solid beer (most of their beers have been solid, though not exceptional) with Belgian spice and cane sugar notes.

mitchrock
March 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Some sad news: Beer giant to purchase Chicago-based Goose Island | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110328/BIZ/103280387/1361/Beer-giant-to-purchase-Chicago-based-Goose-Island)

This is not good. Goose Island is a tremendous brewery. How many ways will Anheuser Busch screw this up?

UnholyGoalie
March 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
F***! Distribution is one thing, but taking control of the brewing is another. I expect GI beers to make their way to the world of mediocrity. Goodbye Nightstalker, you were righteous!

BeerMan
March 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I better find the last of the GI beers before AssButt ****s them all up.

DMAN3474
March 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Some sad news: Beer giant to purchase Chicago-based Goose Island | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110328/BIZ/103280387/1361/Beer-giant-to-purchase-Chicago-based-Goose-Island)

This is not good. Goose Island is a tremendous brewery. How many ways will Anheuser Busch screw this up?

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!

BeerMan
March 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
here's an interesting read.

UPDATE: Goose Island Acquired By Anheuser-Busch : Brewbound.com (http://www.brewbound.com/news/update-goose-island-acquired-by-anheuser-busch-2)

however you take it, I really do not buy the notion that AssButt promises to, in other words, not piss the quality down the drain.

still, how Goose Island will keep going is going to be something to keep a close eye on.

Fisch
March 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Anyone try the Stone/Green Flash/Pizza Port collaboration "Highway 78 Scotch Ale"?
My liquor store has some but I didn't grab any. I think it's a Limited Edition.

Stone Collaborations (http://www.stonebrew.com/collab/default.asp)

UnholyGoalie
March 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Anyone try the Stone/Green Flash/Pizza Port collaboration "Highway 78 Scotch Ale"?
My liquor store has some but I didn't grab any. I think it's a Limited Edition.

Stone Collaborations (http://www.stonebrew.com/collab/default.asp)

I posted a quick review of it a page or two ago. To me it was very "meh". Nothing to get excited about. I had a bottle of it however my buddy had it in tap (seems to be widely available on tap) and said it was good.

Personally I'd say Belhaven, Kiltlifter, and Sheepeater are better versions of a scotch ale. Heck, even Exponential Hoppiness (reviewed above) tasted like a better scotch ale than Highway 78.

I would like to try it on tap, though.

mitchrock
March 29th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Not a fan of the Highway 78. Very boring brew.

Marin Brewing Tripsea is a nice Tripel. Had that on Sunday.

BeerMan
March 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
another good read re: Goose Island

The Goose Isn't Cooked, Yet - More with Greg & John Hall from Goose Island - Beer News - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3651069)

Stormy2213
March 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM
another good read re: Goose Island

The Goose Isn't Cooked, Yet - More with Greg & John Hall from Goose Island - Beer News - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3651069)

The proof will be in the pudding. But I'm willing to bet that with AB purchasing them, Goose Island will slowly but surely disappear from the beers to seek map.

UnholyGoalie
March 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Call me cynical or skeptical or whatever, but I think sooner or later AB/Inbev will take a look at the profit margins for GI and tell them to start cutting corners.

If I can get Nighstalker and BCS here in L.A. and not have it be some neutered, watered down version...Huzzah! But I'm not holding my breath.

BeerMan
March 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
seconded. seconded.

how many breweries has AssButt killed off? I am thinking at least three. but alas, as I googled...

Anheuser-Busch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch)

interesting to see which breweries the AssButts have stakes in. Redhook, Modelo and Widmar being among them.

Azagthoth
March 31st, 2011, 06:14 AM
Call me cynical or skeptical or whatever, but I think sooner or later AB/Inbev will take a look at the profit margins for GI and tell them to start cutting corners.

That is called being logical. You can rest assured if InBev/AB buys a craft brewery, its because the craft movement has indeed dinged the mass adjunct lager sales and they just want a piece of it however they can get it. Its not to invest and/or better/make more available the GI brews - its to cut corners like you stated for some make up $$$ in losses the craft scene has caused the giants.

Stormy2213
March 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM
seconded. seconded.

how many breweries has AssButt killed off? I am thinking at least three. but alas, as I googled...

Anheuser-Busch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch)

interesting to see which breweries the AssButts have stakes in. Redhook, Modelo and Widmar being among them.

I was going to bring up Redhook in my previous post. I remember when they initially signed that deal and it was trumpeted along the lines of a distribution deal, a way of getting Redhook out to the masses. Well, when is the last time you had a Redhook ESB? I used to love that beer but I haven't had one in well, maybe 6-7 years, probably longer. Is that b/c it's not what it used to be? Possibly. Is it b/c I know that AB is heavily involved now? Possibly.

I'll have to go see if I can find one first and then give it a taste. But I fully expect it to be a lighter, more watered down version of what it used to be. I'll try and be objective as best I can. Maybe I'll get a few other ESB's and do a blind tasting. Anyway, I will report what I find when I get the time to do this.

And don't get me started on the Widmer beers. They all suck. Can't stand anything I've ever tasted from them. I hate seeing ****ing Widmer tap handles anywhere. I see so many folks drinking their hefeweizen with a ****ing lemon or orange slice that I want to toss beer in faces. That is just NOT good wheat beer people. American wheat beer is awful (imo) - you might as well drink Bud Light. Sorry for the rant.

So mark me down, along with most if not all of you, as an AB hater. I despise AB and what they represent in the beer world.

Azagthoth
March 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
And don't get me started on the Widmer beers. They all suck. Can't stand anything I've ever tasted from them. I hate seeing ****ing Widmer tap handles anywhere. I see so many folks drinking their hefeweizen with a ****ing lemon or orange slice that I want to toss beer in faces. That is just NOT good wheat beer people. American wheat beer is awful (imo) - you might as well drink Bud Light. Sorry for the rant.

Couldn't agree more, except that there are a few nice American Wheat Ales that exist. Widmer/Pyramid beers are all crap, and nothing but a college trend that seemed to come out of nowhere at your chain restaurant bars. "Hefs", as clueless servers and customers (places like Chili's, Applebee's, etc) refer to them as their supposed brand name, are drinking nothing but a very cheap and watery American Wheat Ale. Really, it is just a college phase that tricks college folks into thinking they are drinking a classy, higher scale beer - no more no less. And Stella would be your classy "import" that has the same effect on the poor college kids. Its a misconception among college beer drinkers, comparable to the misconception that once you enter college you need to become politically active and voice your political beliefs. Either way, it accomplishes nothing and makes you look like a douche.

This typical response from a server when asked what is on tap, pisses me off so much, you'd probably compare me to Smytheking in the politics forum:

" We have Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Dos Equis, and Hef". ****ing seriously?

Stormy2213
March 31st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Couldn't agree more, except that there are a few nice American Wheat Ales that exist.

I'd love some recommendations b/c I haven't found an American wheat that comes close to what I believe a good wheat beer should be.

I guess I'm just spoiled in that I was introduced to wheat beers back in the early 90's by a homebrewer friend who turned me on to Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, and Schneider Weiss. I'll drink that stuff all day long. But if it doesn't just smack me in the face with ripe bananas and cloves, it doesn't measure up. Oh, and I REALLY love Dunkels. It's just about that time of year isn't it? Somebody get me a Weihenstephaner Dunkelweizen!!!!

Azagthoth
March 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
I'd love some recommendations b/c I haven't found an American wheat that comes close to what I believe a good wheat beer should be.

I guess I'm just spoiled in that I was introduced to wheat beers back in the early 90's by a homebrewer friend who turned me on to Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, and Schneider Weiss. I'll drink that stuff all day long. But if it doesn't just smack me in the face with ripe bananas and cloves, it doesn't measure up. Oh, and I REALLY love Dunkels. It's just about that time of year isn't it? Somebody get me a Weihenstephaner Dunkelweizen!!!!

Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat
Sierra Nevada Wheat (retired, unfortunately)
Three Floyds Gumballhead
Bell's Oberon
North Coast Blue Star
Flying Fish Exit 11

UnholyGoalie
March 31st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Deadlift is pretty good stuff, granted I haven't had it in a while so perhaps my tastes have changed. However I doubt it would compare to the Citra I tasted last weekend.

I swear I've seen RH ESB around recently. I'll have to check this weekend.

Speaking of dunkels, Hofbrau dunkel!

UnholyGoalie
April 1st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Good stuff. Starts malty sweet then transitions to a nice medium floral hoppy profile and then finishes with a long lasting hop bitter finish. If you can get your hands on some, go for it!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2s7gkll.jpg

Azagthoth
April 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Good stuff. Starts malty sweet then transitions to a nice medium floral hoppy profile and then finishes with a long lasting hop bitter finish. If you can get your hands on some, go for it!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2s7gkll.jpg

Thats a good one dude

UnholyGoalie
April 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM
"Hefs", as clueless servers and customers (places like Chili's, Applebee's, etc) refer to them as their supposed brand name, are drinking nothing but a very cheap and watery American Wheat Ale.

Had this happen at the bar on Saturday. I was at the Federal (nice place and the clientelle is quite nice) and my buddy asks the waitress what her favorite beers were. She responded with "hef" and whatever blueberry beer they had on tap.

I wasn't suprised in the least. I'd have been shocked if she said something like Ten Fidy.

He got a sample of the blueberry beer which I tried. Tasted like blueberry pie and nothing like beer.

Had a pint of Prima Pils which was okay but it's just not my style of beer. Pilsners remind me too much of what a warm crap beer like budlight tastes like. I had a bottle of Port Panzer a few weeks ago and it was similar. Good, but not great, IMO.

Had some Allagash Black and that's a solid beer. I think I've gotten burned out on Ten Fidy which is weird because I'm a stout/imp stout/IRS fiend. Ten Fidy is like drinking thickened soy sauce to me. I can have one once in a while but it's way too much for me these days.

Stormy2213
April 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Had this happen at the bar on Saturday. I was at the Federal (nice place and the clientelle is quite nice) and my buddy asks the waitress what her favorite beers were. She responded with "hef" and whatever blueberry beer they had on tap.

He got a sample of the blueberry beer which I tried. Tasted like blueberry pie and nothing like beer.

Was it this>>>>>http://itasteyourbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/wildblueberry.jpg?

The Pour House gets this quite a bit and the folks who drink it are folks who really don't like beer. They'll flat out tell you that, they don't like beer BUT love this crap. In other words, if he didn't have it, they wouldn't be there otherwise. So I cut him some slack - because I want to him to stay in business. But honestly, blueberry wheat ale people? For ****'s sake, just stick with Jamba Juice. When he pours a pint of this garbage the entire bar smells like a bakery - blueberry muffins. It's despicable stuff. Dreadful.

BeerMan
April 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
that blueberry beer is great to bake blueberry muffins/breads/pancakes/etc with.

Azagthoth
April 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Had some Allagash Black and that's a solid beer. I think I've gotten burned out on Ten Fidy which is weird because I'm a stout/imp stout/IRS fiend. Ten Fidy is like drinking thickened soy sauce to me. I can have one once in a while but it's way too much for me these days.

Very solid indeed!

I had ten fidy once, and thought it was outstanding. I recall having it at Pizza Port Solano Beach. Tasted like an imperial stout blended with brown sugar, heh. I don't think I've bought any since they made them available in cans out here.

I'm burned out on the imperial stouts, kinda do that to myself every winter. I've still got quite a bit of them on hand, but will save them for next fall when the weather begins to cool down.

Big Red
April 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'd just like to say that I love this thread. That is all. Carry on

Arrogant Ba$tard
April 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Over the weekend, tried The Bruery's Marron Acidifie. Pretty tasty. I can only imagine this getting better with a little aging. They were going fast from Provisions on Friday.

DRGinLBC
April 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM
http://atlantabeermaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Great-Divide-17th-Small.png

Caution. Only drink if you like the taste of oak. Very prevalent in this beer.

Azagthoth
April 14th, 2011, 08:12 AM
http://atlantabeermaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Great-Divide-17th-Small.png

Caution. Only drink if you like the taste of oak. Very prevalent in this beer.

How did you like it? I have been continuously disappointed with Great Divide beers. Just had their Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti, and after 10 minutes of sipping on it, I was wondering why the hell it was so "hot" tasting. Finally looked at the label and realized they threw in cayenne? What the ****? Why, why, WHY would you do that to a chocolate oak aged stout? It's cool being experimental and all, but it just doesn't work sometimes!

mitchrock
April 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Really liking Sierra Nevada's Glissdale. Picked up a 12 pack from target. Labeled as a Golden Bock. Has a nice floral hop taste combined with a light malt flavor. Good balance.

DRGinLBC
April 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
How did you like it? I have been continuously disappointed with Great Divide beers. Just had their Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti, and after 10 minutes of sipping on it, I was wondering why the hell it was so "hot" tasting. Finally looked at the label and realized they threw in cayenne? What the ****? Why, why, WHY would you do that to a chocolate oak aged stout? It's cool being experimental and all, but it just doesn't work sometimes!

You know, I have the same feeling with Great Divide beers. I want to like them...but every one I've had, I walk away feeling disappointed. For instance the Hercules. I found that to be flat out bad. Oak Aged Yeti...it was just okay to me.

This 17th...like I said OAK. Hits you right away. It's a good beer if you like a full flavor oaked beer. Defiantly something you should give a shot...but don't say I didn't warn you.

Azagthoth
April 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM
You know, I have the same feeling with Great Divide beers. I want to like them...but every one I've had, I walk away feeling disappointed. For instance the Hercules. I found that to be flat out bad. Oak Aged Yeti...it was just okay to me.

This 17th...like I said OAK. Hits you right away. It's a good beer if you like a full flavor oaked beer. Defiantly something you should give a shot...but don't say I didn't warn you.

I absolutely love oaked beer. Maybe the oak will be so strong in this one it'll cover up what is likely a lousy beer, heh.

DRGinLBC
April 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I absolutely love oaked beer. Maybe the oak will be so strong in this one it'll cover up what is likely a lousy beer, heh.

Seek it out.

UnholyGoalie
April 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I haven't had too many GD beers, however I was pretty impressed with their Claymore Scotch ale. That's a good one AFAIC.

Yesterday I had a couple pints at Ladyface. Their new one, Worker's Co-hoperative, IIRC is a belgian style pale ale with saison yeast. Was a bright golden color with a creamy head. Had a floral hoppy profile with some pretty vibrant juicy tones that reminded me of fruit juice. Liked this one and would get it again.

The other one was their cask beer called Naked Lady. I believe it's their IPA served cask style. Had some aggresive hops to it that gave me a nutty flavor reminiscient of pecans and walnuts.

DRGinLBC
April 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2969/22072110150153376694870.jpg

I'm ready for the Kings game tonight.

Azagthoth
April 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2969/22072110150153376694870.jpg

I'm ready for the Kings game tonight.

What about OT? Heh.

DRGinLBC
April 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Azagthoth -

Think an amped up Stone Oaked Arrogant. Dry and oaky.

UnholyGoalie
April 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, Lagunitas imp stout. I usually just see the Cappuccino stout and last time I had it, it was a bit underwhelming. If I see the imp stout around I'm buying one.

mitchrock
April 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hmmm, Lagunitas imp stout. I usually just see the Cappuccino stout and last time I had it, it was a bit underwhelming. If I see the imp stout around I'm buying one.

The Lagunitas Imp Stout is pretty good this year. BevMo had some a few weeks ago. Do not know if they still have any in stock.

BeerMan
April 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
Metolius, anyone? I had been avoiding it like a red-headed kid sitting on the bench as a subsitute player. I finally got around to buying a 6-er because, not only did it have some cool fishing images on the label, but it was on sale. so I just had to, ya know?

the subject in question that has a rainbow trout on the label would be the Dolly Varden IPA. it has a bit of a sweet nose. the body is mildly hoppy but dry with a rustic flavor to it. the finish is somewhat syrupy.

not much of a tough, harsh, heavily hopped up beer like most other IPAs are, but this one is an odd beer.

think I'll pick up Metolius' other beer, the one with a dry fly on the label.

ChiKingFan
April 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
They don't distribute outside of Indiana and Illinois for the most part, but I'll be heading down to Munster, IN this coming Saturday to pick up my allotment of:
http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/tf-darklord.jpg
Three Floyd's annual Dark Lord Day. Last year there were ten to twelve thousand people there. They cut it back this year, but it will be like a 6,000 person tailgate, with people bringing hard to find stuff from all over the place to trade and share. I'll be bringing a bunch of stuff from Half-Acre, a local brewery in Chicago, as well as some Goose Island stouts (coffee and vanilla). Should be pretty crazy.

BeerMan
April 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
while up in Spokane, WA, I and a couple of friends had the chance to try the beers that are locally available in the region.

Ninkasi Total Domination IPA (Eugene, OR)
-strong hoppy with a good finish. I had more of this than the other beers combined.

Ninkasi Spring Reign Ale
-clean, mild hoppiness, a bit of aftertaste. I thought of it as a mini-TD IPA.

Boundary Bay IPA (Bellingham, WA)
-I forget which one since the menu at two different places listed just the IPA. this is the harshest of the IPAs that I tried.

Iron Horse Quilter's Irish Death (Ellensburg, WA)
-very dark for a brown ale which I'm hardly a fan of. this one has a bit of a syrupy finish. I also had a chance to try the Koko Brown (Kona Brewing, HI) but would prefer the Irish Death over that, given the choice.

while on a layover in Phx on both flights, I tried the Four Peaks Kiltlifter (Tempe, AZ) at the Barfly in the airport. I tried it the first time while enroute to Spokane, liked it, then on the way back, had two or three more. not a bad scotch ale at all.

KRAZGRL
April 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Had an AMAZING time at the Bootlegger's 3rd anniversary party over this weekend. Glad to run into fellow LGKer's and other Kings' fans. Had to rep in my Kings sweatshirt!

Let me just say that beside the obvious (Knuckle Sandwich which is always delicious), the Lambic #1 was an amazing Sour, same with the Sour 76 Ale with Cherries. The bf absolutely loved their Bourbon Chaos (aged for 30months in bourbon barrels). I wish I had a chance to try the Hopinero (Hoppy ale brewed with Habenero) before it blew.

All in all, I am so happy that craft breweries like these exist so close.

FYI, for those interested, Lost Abbey is having their anniversary on May 14th (2 sessions available). Go to their website for more details.

UnholyGoalie
April 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Had a bunch of different beers over the weekend. Not sure I can remember them all.

at Ladyface:
Hot Mama - their Belgian brown with smoked chipotles. Good stuff and the smoke and peppers were not overdone.
TAPS barley wine - very nice. Kinda like a scotch ale.
Ladyface IPA - easy drinking, of course my tastebuds were probably compromised by this point.
Ladyface porter - good start, uneventful middle, good finish.

Friday night had a bottle of Class V stout. One of my favs. KRBC doesn't get enough press.

at Tony's Darts Away:
Pliny the Elder - always good, however I think the growler of Citra I tasted leaves PtE in the dust.
Lost Abbey Judgement Day - big fricking beer. Liked it a lot.

at Timmy Nolan's:
Green Flash IPA - solid. Hoppy goodness.

UnholyGoalie
April 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Avery Maharaja. Perhaps not quite as awesome as Citra, but right up there.

Stormy2213
April 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid ftw. I've had it before, but last night I had it with a meat lovers w/jalapenos pizza from Nardonne's (best local pizza, by far). What a PERFECT match. The spicy pizza toppings on top of the sweet tomato sauce was just a perfect complement to the hoppy goodness in the brew. Every bite had to have a quaff. It was just perfect.

After the pizza we split a bottle of Le Freak from Green Flash. It was good in a strange way. One sip it was a Belgian Trippel, another sip it was an IPA. Other sips it was a Trippel to start and an IPA on the finish or vice versa. I just couldn't nail it down, ever, even as it warmed. But regardless of all that, it was a delicious brew. I will have more when I find it.

UnholyGoalie
May 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM
BTW Stormy, I think Le Freak is pretty available where I am. If you need me to send some bottles your way, let me know.

Per my post on another forum:

Friday:
Port Santa's Little Helper '10 imp stout: I had this in the fridge for a few months and was looking forward to this. When I poured it out there was a couple clumps that came out. Assuming it was yeast that had settled at the bottom I began drinking. Very boozy with a brandy like character. Unfortunately the booziness was overshadowing the rest of the beer. Faint chocolate and strong bitter coffee. Then I came upon some sort of jelly-like substance that seemed like fruit that had not been filtered out during bottling. It wasn't moving, so that's good, but it had me unsure. Overall I was a bit let down by the beer. I look forward to comparing it to the bottle I just bought off Mike.

Saturday:
Alaskan Smoked Porter '07: part of the beer PIF I just received. Seems like age has mellowed the beer out and it is incredibly smooth! Smoke is obvious but not overpowering. Excellent post-huge steak dinner selection and I only wish I drank it with the steak dinner and not afterwards.

Now:
Saint Arnold Divine Reserve No. 7: another beer PIF bottle (thanks Justin!) I'm assuming this is a dubbel because it reminds me of the St Bernardus Abt 12 I had recently. Per my notes: Winey fruit beginning, booze spice middle, and malty chocolate mocha finish. Excellent! Loving this one!

BeerMan
May 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
currently enjoying the Lagunitas WTF Ale. damn thing is pretty good.

BeerMan
May 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
just polished off FW's Double Jack. man, that's some good stuff. a bit hoppy, but good.

UnholyGoalie
May 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Great Divide Chocolate Yeti: very nice. Had it on tap and kind of rushed it. Thankfully I have a bottle of it in the fridge. Like a meal in a glass.
Ladyface Picture City Porter
TAPS Barleywine: bartender gave this to me in a regular pint glass instead of the usual tulip glass. That's a lot of barleywine to consume, but consume I did.
Nogne O imp stout: having this right now. Good stuff! Dark, cocoa, faint dark fruits, chewy, strong coffee, and malty goodness.

UnholyGoalie
May 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Avery Maharaja right now. Pretty underrated IIPA as far as I'm concerned. First sip went down just perfectly. The first thing that hits me is the malt which is very nice, and the blast of floral hops come in with the bitter hops in the background just rounding things out. I really like this one.

Azagthoth
May 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Great Divide Chocolate Yeti: very nice. Had it on tap and kind of rushed it. Thankfully I have a bottle of it in the fridge. Like a meal in a glass.
Ladyface Picture City Porter
TAPS Barleywine: bartender gave this to me in a regular pint glass instead of the usual tulip glass. That's a lot of barleywine to consume, but consume I did.
Nogne O imp stout: having this right now. Good stuff! Dark, cocoa, faint dark fruits, chewy, strong coffee, and malty goodness.

There is never too much barleywine to consume.

Nogne 0 just rules.

Azagthoth
May 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Avery Maharaja right now. Pretty underrated IIPA as far as I'm concerned. First sip went down just perfectly. The first thing that hits me is the malt which is very nice, and the blast of floral hops come in with the bitter hops in the background just rounding things out. I really like this one.

It really is underrated. I'd take it over Pliny and the other overrated ones for sure.

Stormy2213
May 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
It really is underrated. I'd take it over Pliny and the other overrated ones for sure.

I can't get over you continuing to lump Pliny into the "overrated" category. I'd love to see a full list of those IPA or DIPA that you feel are overrated and explain why you think that way. Pliny is a world class DIPA. Sure, there are others that can be had that are great in their own way, but to say Pliny the Elder is overrated is a reach. Not trying to be a dick and call you out, I'd just like to read what you have to say. You do have great taste in beer, no doubt. It's just puzzling to me that you sort of bang on Pliny.

BeerMan
May 15th, 2011, 02:46 PM
if Pliny is world class DIPA, then what is Citra DIPA? best in the universe?

Stormy2213
May 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM

There are a number of "world class" beers in the DIPA category, aren't there? Just like there are a number of "world class" hockey players. "World class" doesn't have to mean "the absolute, very best, we're #1" beer IMO. I've just got a beef with calling Pliny overrated. If it's great, it's great. End of story. And Pliny is f'ing great. If anything is overrated, how's about Guinness as the most overrated beer in the history of mankind?

Azagthoth
May 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I can't get over you continuing to lump Pliny into the "overrated" category. I'd love to see a full list of those IPA or DIPA that you feel are overrated and explain why you think that way. Pliny is a world class DIPA. Sure, there are others that can be had that are great in their own way, but to say Pliny the Elder is overrated is a reach. Not trying to be a dick and call you out, I'd just like to read what you have to say. You do have great taste in beer, no doubt. It's just puzzling to me that you sort of bang on Pliny.

Pliny is a wonderfully crafted beer, as are all of the Russian River offerings. I find that the hype pushes it into the world class category, rather than the beer itself (90 Minute IPA from DFH is a great comparison). All I can really say to be honest is that it didn't have the same effect on me like, lets say, the Citra and Just Outstanding IPAs. Or the Hop Stoopid, Maharaja, and Hoptimum. I find IPAs and Double IPAs to be be either: ****ty, Good, or just oustanding. I would put Pliny into the good category, as it wasn't ****ty but it certainly wasn't up there with something like the Port Mongo.

Its just subjectivity, in the end.

If I judge the beer overall, this might make more sense - Russian River's Beatification and Supplication (older batches of course) are world class, and Pliny falls behind those. Regardless of different styles, world class is still world class.

Azagthoth
May 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
If anything is overrated, how's about Guinness as the most overrated beer in the history of mankind?

Definitely up there. The lack of beer education has a lot to do with it, as does the mass advertising like the other giants. Commercials will make up the minds of people before they even walk into a bar.

Azagthoth
May 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Im no astrophysicist, but I think its safe to say we're talking best in the universe category!

Stormy2213
May 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Pliny is a wonderfully crafted beer, as are all of the Russian River offerings. I find that the hype pushes it into the world class category, rather than the beer itself (90 Minute IPA from DFH is a great comparison). All I can really say to be honest is that it didn't have the same effect on me like, lets say, the Citra and Just Outstanding IPAs. Or the Hop Stoopid, Maharaja, and Hoptimum. I find IPAs and Double IPAs to be be either: ****ty, Good, or just oustanding. I would put Pliny into the good category, as it wasn't ****ty but it certainly wasn't up there with something like the Port Mongo.

Its just subjectivity, in the end.

If I judge the beer overall, this might make more sense - Russian River's Beatification and Supplication (older batches of course) are world class, and Pliny falls behind those. Regardless of different styles, world class is still world class.

Great post. I guess I just haven't been exposed to the hype factor of Pliny b/c we don't have it distributed around here. So when I am able to enjoy a glass, it's a special occasion for me. Maybe the anticipation is making it better for me than it really is.

I agree on all the others, especially the stuff that KRBC is producing (their Class V Imp Stout is world class as well). The DFH 90 is a glass full of meh IMO, and I think you're in the same boat as I am on that one too.

All the others you listed, agreed, all outstanding (though I've never had the Maharaja, MUST FIND SOME). Hop Stoopid was the latest in a nice, consistent line of great DIPA or IPA I've been able to have over the last few months at Pour House.

UnholyGoalie
May 16th, 2011, 09:19 AM
This is all subjective. PtE might be other's favorite beer in the world and that's fine. I don't get too involved in the beer geek world (I just like to explore and find new beers), but I will say that most things Russian River tend to have a built-in hype going for them. Hence how I even heard of PtE and PtY in the first place.

My opinion is that while PtE is a fantastic beer, it lacked the creaminess that Citra and Maharaja had which I truly enjoyed. I also got a bit more depth and complexity out of Citra and Maharaja than I did with PtE (which seemed to be more crisp and clear last I had a pint). Now, as with all things, your mileage may vary. Doesn't make me any more right than you. It's all just fancy foo-foo beer!

Chateau Bow Wow
May 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Has anybody ever tasted this? I have an opportunity to taste this for $10. Just wondering if its worth the price.

UnholyGoalie
May 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I have not. Do you know how much of taste you'll be getting? 2oz? 5oz? For the price, which seems acceptable, I'd be interested to try it, although extreme high ABV beers don't interest me too much.

DRGinLBC
May 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Utopias...not even beer IMO. Anything you can put the cap back on and let sit...sounds like hard booze.

DRGinLBC
May 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
http://atlantabeermaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The-Bruery-Cuir.png

Just got a bottle of this. Going to let it sit for a bit. Anyone tried it?

Chateau Bow Wow
May 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
http://atlantabeermaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The-Bruery-Cuir.png

Just got a bottle of this. Going to let it sit for a bit. Anyone tried it?

I will let you know, I'm going to sample this at a tasting this Friday night.

BeerMan
May 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
even I have a 4-pack of Sam Adams Triple Bock 1995 sitting around. should I be afraid to pop one open?

DougW8
May 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
even I have a 4-pack of Sam Adams Triple Bock 1995 sitting around. should I be afraid to pop one open?

I have really wanted to like this beer. Tried it fresh, tried some after a year, 2 years and finally a bottle just recently. Slight change, but still tasted like a syrupy mess.

mitchrock
May 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I have really wanted to like this beer. Tried it fresh, tried some after a year, 2 years and finally a bottle just recently. Slight change, but still tasted like a syrupy mess.

agreed, HATE this stuff.

Stormy2213
May 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Oof, I didn't like that stuff when it came out and a bottle that I saved for 3 years tasted just a bad as the first one I got. Try and trade it for something good. I'm sure there is a "want" list out there with this dreck on it.

DougW8
May 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Oof, I didn't like that stuff when it came out and a bottle that I saved for 3 years tasted just a bad as the first one I got. Try and trade it for something good. I'm sure there is a "want" list out there with this dreck on it.

Well if they had spent half as much on the beer recipe, as they did on the bottle design, it probably would have been pretty good. The bottle does make a nice vase.

BeerMan
May 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Well if they had spent half as much on the beer recipe, as they did on the bottle design, it probably would have been pretty good. The bottle does make a nice vase.

sure does. I can't even see through it.

DRGinLBC
May 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just pulled inventory of my cellared brews. Open to trades/tastings.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiQnYhTlDQ1ddFRTVjRoVVZUOUZCT01hWlREblNpV Wc&hl=en_US&authkey=CPGG510

UnholyGoalie
May 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
DRGinLBC, That's quite a collection there! Mind if I pass the list on to some friends who may be interested in buying/trading?

Last night opened a bottle of Infinium. Nice beer, although not worth the pricetag. Would make a nice session beer aside from the high price and 10% ABV. Had a nice fairly crisp and dry body with what I would say was kinda like a "lite" version of a dubbel or tripel.

Right now I'm having an '08 bottle of Black Flag which is about the exact opposite of Infinium. This one is syrupy, dark, with an almost chocolate syrup profile, no head, and probably the lowest carbonation of any beer I've ever had that wasn't actually flat. Intense and reminds me of Ten Fidy without its (IMO) over done roasting that always reminds me of soy sauce.

orpheus
May 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
Don't passover on the rapture! :facepalm:

http://coffeewithadam.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/hebrew.jpg

Pass out! :manybeers:

BeerMan
May 22nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
last night I cracked open GI's Pere Jacques 2010 Belgian Style Ale

it poured a dark caramel colored body. drinking it, I noticed heavy floral or fruity presence. I think they kept that stuff in the barrels previously used for wine, is what my impression was. the ale also produced some sweetness that is reminiscence of caramel, with hints of spice scattered throughout.

it was a pretty strong beer, although light on harshness.

Stormy2213
May 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
last night I cracked open GI's Pere Jacques 2010 Belgian Style Ale

it poured a dark caramel colored body. drinking it, I noticed heavy floral or fruity presence. I think they kept that stuff in the barrels previously used for wine, is what my impression was. the ale also produced some sweetness that is reminiscence of caramel, with hints of spice scattered throughout.

it was a pretty strong beer, although light on harshness.

Was it good or does it still need some aging? I've got a bottle of the 2010 laying down right now and figured on drinking it next year.

DRGinLBC
May 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
DRGinLBC, That's quite a collection there! Mind if I pass the list on to some friends who may be interested in buying/trading?

Last night opened a bottle of Infinium. Nice beer, although not worth the pricetag. Would make a nice session beer aside from the high price and 10% ABV. Had a nice fairly crisp and dry body with what I would say was kinda like a "lite" version of a dubbel or tripel.

Right now I'm having an '08 bottle of Black Flag which is about the exact opposite of Infinium. This one is syrupy, dark, with an almost chocolate syrup profile, no head, and probably the lowest carbonation of any beer I've ever had that wasn't actually flat. Intense and reminds me of Ten Fidy without its (IMO) over done roasting that always reminds me of soy sauce.

Go for it. Made the document open to the public with that link.

mitchrock
May 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Had Left Coast's Asylym on Saturday. Great Trippel. Nice and sweet with an 11% wallop. Also one of the more reasonably priced trippels out there.

Yesterday, I had Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Love the roastiness of this ale. Haven't had this in a couple of years but it was well worth the wait.

BeerMan
May 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Was it good or does it still need some aging? I've got a bottle of the 2010 laying down right now and figured on drinking it next year.

it's pretty good. I'm sure that it will change through aging down the road. I should pick up a couple more of those, eh?

Azagthoth
May 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Working on a Flying Fish Exit 9. Insane floral hoppy scent that I cant get over. Palate is slight hop bitterness. Its being marketed as an Imperial Red Ale, and I'll admit this "style" if you will is quite underrated and a nice medium between IPAs and Double IPAs. I think I like these better actually. Not too big on reds, but an "imperial" red is delightfully palateworthy.

Azagthoth
May 28th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I wasn't very big on Firestone's Parabola when I first bought it, but I had my second bottle a few nights back which was aged about a year, roughly - I forget when it was first released in bottle format. Anyways, this was outstanding! Definitely one of the rare situations where I find a beer is better aged. Normally I like the insane punch and harshness of a beer. I really think the barrel flavours were stronger in this aged beer, as opposed to having it fresh.

Also, had a FW14 the other night and really digging it finally. Same as the Parabola, not too great when released, but with some age the barrel really comes through and is insanely easy to put down. No booze flavor at all.

UnholyGoalie
May 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Working on a Flying Fish Exit 9. Insane floral hoppy scent that I cant get over. Palate is slight hop bitterness. Its being marketed as an Imperial Red Ale, and I'll admit this "style" if you will is quite underrated and a nice medium between IPAs and Double IPAs. I think I like these better actually. Not too big on reds, but an "imperial" red is delightfully palateworthy.

Ladyface just released their imp red, Amazon Red, if I remember correctly. Had a pint of it not really knowing what to expect and was taken back by the very hoppy profile. Seemed to me to be very IPA like with a darker body and slightly more malt. Packed a wallop too. I dug it.

Friday night I had to drain pour a bottle of Bruery Dark Orchard. Damn you, wild yeast! Had it in the fridge since December.

jerseydevil
June 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Newcastle Summer Ale | CraveOnline (http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/reviews/168153-newcastle-summer-ale)

What's this???

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/newcastle.jpg

Werewolf??? Ok guys W(h)ere can I find this? Summer Ale is ok...a little too light.

DRGinLBC
June 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stone-irs-2011.jpg

Picked up a couple of these yesterday. Will report back.

UnholyGoalie
June 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Mikkeler Beer Geek Brunch Weasel – Poured out a viscous pitch black with minimal head and a fairly strong aroma of rich malts and caramel. Flavor is very rich with tons of chocolate tones and dark malts. This beer is bursting with rich coffee/cocoa flavors with a viscous, rich, buttery backbone and some alcohol heat. Absolutely wonderful.

Weihenstephan Vitus weizenbock. Not tasting much "bock" in this and to be honest if I hadn't known I would say it tastes like Franziskaner. Nice spices with a pretty clean and refreshing finish. Was hoping for something a little darker, though.

Azagthoth
June 6th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Mikkeler Beer Geek Brunch Weasel ? Poured out a viscous pitch black with minimal head and a fairly strong aroma of rich malts and caramel. Flavor is very rich with tons of chocolate tones and dark malts. This beer is bursting with rich coffee/cocoa flavors with a viscous, rich, buttery backbone and some alcohol heat. Absolutely wonderful.

Weihenstephan Vitus weizenbock. Not tasting much "bock" in this and to be honest if I hadn't known I would say it tastes like Franziskaner. Nice spices with a pretty clean and refreshing finish. Was hoping for something a little darker, though.

Vitus is world class in my book! Weihenstephaner does no wrong as their lineup is consistently flawless.

You are right though, it isn't super "bocky" at all. Great brew though!

Stormy2213
June 6th, 2011, 09:03 AM
We did a tasting for some deli friends looking to put some Belgians in their lineup. This was the start.

2458 click on the pic to see it larger. A few that didn't belong but what the hey. Those were for the owner.

BTW, every time I have a Brother Thelonius I wonder why I don't have it more often. Delicious.

BeerMan
June 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Firestone Walker Solace

go get it while it lasts.

jerseydevil
June 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Bought a sixer of this

Lucky Beer | Share the Good Fortune (http://www.luckydrinkco.com/#)

at my local Von's new shelf-in-the-middle-of-the-floor full of more mainstream micros(imagine Whole Foods w/1/4 of the adventure).

The beer is passable/nothing amazing but the bottles rule.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/luckybeer_bottle.jpg

IceBat
June 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Bought a sixer of this

Lucky Beer | Share the Good Fortune (http://www.luckydrinkco.com/#)

at my local Von's new shelf-in-the-middle-of-the-floor full of more mainstream micros(imagine Whole Foods w/1/4 of the adventure).

The beer is passable/nothing amazing but the bottles rule.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/luckybeer_bottle.jpg

You're right, the bottle is cool. The website reminds me of the Lucid Absinthe site.

UnholyGoalie
June 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
That website is pretty cool, and the bottle is quite nice. Pale lagers are meh to me. The only one I've had that impressed me has been Longboard Lager.

BeerMan
June 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
off to the Kern River for the weekend. will be hitting up KRBC with arms-full of growlers!

be jealous. yes, suckas, be jealous.

UnholyGoalie
June 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Jealous? I'll be there as well! Heading up to a buddy's house tomorrow afternoon. Will probably be at the brewery for growler fills tomorrow evening and Saturday. Hope I see you there and I hope they still have their Anni on tap!

SDGolfer
June 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ballast Point is a great brewery that just isn't talked about much. Never had a bad brew by them.
Ballast Point Sculpin is my current favorite.

UnholyGoalie
June 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ballast Point Sculpin is my current favorite.

Sculpin is quite nice. Last I had it, it was more aggressively hopped than I remember the first go around being. Reminded me a tad of Firestone Double Jack.

Right now:
Got a growler of Ladyface Amazon Red which is their new imperial red ale. First time I had this I was surprised how hoppy it was. It's basically a garnet colored IPA with a bit more malt backbone. Pretty righteous stuff, in flavor and ABV. Anyway, the growler cap was leaking and I didn't think it would last until tomorrow afternoon when I arrive in the mountains of the Sequoia Nat Forest, so I'm drinking it now. Also had a pint of Pliny, their cask ale (a wine barrel aged weizenbock, dry hopped and wild yeast thrown in. Very winey taste), and a pint of SN Ovila while at the brewery.

Azagthoth
June 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Had 3 new beers this week

Bruery Cuir - Their 3rd Anniversary Ale. 14.5%, big, bold, and a slight bit of tart in the nose. Not as smoky as Papier, definitely not as sugary as Coton, just very nice and unique in its own right despite its solera technique which incorporates the first two anniversary ales in it. Its easy to consume in one sitting despite its almost 15% ABV tag. I will be buying more of this stuff!

Bruery BA Cuir - It has the greatness of the standard version, topped off with the barrel flavors. How can you go wrong? Another one that is easy to finish in one sitting. I was surprised the ABV was also 14.5%, as typically the barrel aging usually lends another 1-3%.

Bruery Provisions Series Bierbauch - Hate to say it, but honestly its the first Bruery beer I was disappointed with. An Imperial Helles Bock aged in oak barrels really doesn't work. I love the idea behind it, but I think German lagers need to remain far away from the experimental brewing ideas.

Azagthoth
June 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I also want to make a complaint while I am at it.....

This time of year I am drinking seasonal summer lagers, summer ales, but most importantly a ****load of German beers that are most enjoyable in the summer months. Where is the sun? Why have imperial stouts been consuming my May and June months of drinking?

No sir, I do not like this!

BeerMan
June 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Jealous? I'll be there as well! Heading up to a buddy's house tomorrow afternoon. Will probably be at the brewery for growler fills tomorrow evening and Saturday. Hope I see you there and I hope they still have their Anni on tap!

pretty damn disappointing, isn't it? when you drive 3 hours just to find out they're out of Citra and can only get the Annis in bottles. got a growler of XPA instead. good stuff anyway.

UnholyGoalie
June 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I was very disappointed that Class X was not available in growlers however the two pints I had of it was spectacular. Delicious, malty, smooth but with some serious balls to it. Two pints of Class X and a pint of their cask Class V with cocoa and vanilla (meh) and I was feeling pretty well! Wish the blue cheese burger I had their measured up to the price tag.

Are they bottling Class X? If so, I'll take a case!!!

We had a little tasting with some friends this weekend and I brought a bottle of Stone IRS Belgo Anise. Someone on another board mentioned that it tasted a bit like Jagermeister and that's fairly accurate. If you like black licorice or jager, you might like it. To me it tasted partly IRS and partly nyquil. I'll just stick to the regular IRS.

DRGinLBC
June 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Nabbed a Firestone Parabola 2011 tonight. Have a couple 2010's. Thoughts? Wait? Try a 2010 now?

DRGinLBC
June 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Just pulled inventory of my cellared brews. Open to trades/tastings.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiQnYhTlDQ1ddFRTVjRoVVZUOUZCT01hWlREblNpV Wc&hl=en_US&authkey=CPGG510

BTW...someone on here chimed in about these a couple weeks back but I've had a terrible last couple weeks. Death in the family and my wife had some scares on our first pregnancy. All is good now...well FOR now.

Hit me up.

BeerMan
June 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Nabbed a Firestone Parabola 2011 tonight. Have a couple 2010's. Thoughts? Wait? Try a 2010 now?

my wench and I had a Parabola off the tap at FW last July. ircc, it tasted a bit sweet, like a syrah. maybe aging it would turn out different? try it now unless you don't have another 2010 on hand.

thoughts and prayers for you and your family. hope to hook up with you soon and try one of those beers that I mentioned.

BeerMan
June 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I was very disappointed that Class X was not available in growlers however the two pints I had of it was spectacular. Delicious, malty, smooth but with some serious balls to it. Two pints of Class X and a pint of their cask Class V with cocoa and vanilla (meh) and I was feeling pretty well! Wish the blue cheese burger I had their measured up to the price tag.

Are they bottling Class X? If so, I'll take a case!!!

We had a little tasting with some friends this weekend and I brought a bottle of Stone IRS Belgo Anise. Someone on another board mentioned that it tasted a bit like Jagermeister and that's fairly accurate. If you like black licorice or jager, you might like it. To me it tasted partly IRS and partly nyquil. I'll just stick to the regular IRS.

we thought that those Class Xs and the special release of Class V were both a bit too sweet for our likings. especially Class X, it laid on the fruity side as well. did you notice how they poured the Class X off the tap? that took forever.

I absolutely love their Santa Fe rolls. I could eat that stuff all day.

my wench brought home a bottle of that IRS Belgo Anise. we have yet to crack it open.

DRGinLBC
June 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
we thought that those Class Xs and the special release of Class V were both a bit too sweet for our likings. especially Class X, it laid on the fruity side as well. did you notice how they poured the Class X off the tap? that took forever.

my wench brought home a bottle of that IRS Belgo Anise. we have yet to crack it open.

Popped a bottle of that IRS Anise the other night with a buddy...MY BAD. Guess I'm a rookie on the spice game. I now know Anise is black licorice. Good God...horrible. Just not my flavor. Get that sucker up to room temp...and it's like a mouth full of black jellybeans.

Was decent when cold...but that sucker room temp...BLAH

DRGinLBC
June 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
my wench and I

I want to be your best friend. :)

Stormy2213
June 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Made this while drinking lots of KRBC Just Outstanding IPA. Should be nice and hoppy. 1.75 oz Falconer's Flight bittering, 1 oz Amarillo for 20 minutes and then dry hopped with another 1 oz of Amarillo. Looking forward to this IPA come late summer.....

UnholyGoalie
June 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Looks like a brain in a jug.

UnholyGoalie
June 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM

We were sitting outside so I didn't see them pour it, but it did take the waitress a while to get them to us. The first time I ordered she mentioned that it might take a while because they seemed to be getting a lot of foam out of the tap. She didn't seem to be having a good time, as she told us she might have to cut us off the Class X as they were pretty strong. We were NOWHERE near drunk or beligerant at this point, just a group of friends having a good time.

As for the beer itself, I just remember falling in love with it at first sip. It may have been sweet, but I didn't find it cloying or anything. All I know is that I'm extremely disappointed that the only way to get it is to drive out there. No growlers...:hairout:

Stormy2213
June 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Looks like a brain in a jug.

After it's bottled and we drink it I'm pretty sure we'll be smarter!

UnholyGoalie
June 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Buffalo theory of drinking. The first brain cells killed were probably the weak ones. Therefore your brain is getting smarter and faster with every drink.

BeerMan
June 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
We were sitting outside so I didn't see them pour it, but it did take the waitress a while to get them to us. The first time I ordered she mentioned that it might take a while because they seemed to be getting a lot of foam out of the tap. She didn't seem to be having a good time, as she told us she might have to cut us off the Class X as they were pretty strong. We were NOWHERE near drunk or beligerant at this point, just a group of friends having a good time.

As for the beer itself, I just remember falling in love with it at first sip. It may have been sweet, but I didn't find it cloying or anything. All I know is that I'm extremely disappointed that the only way to get it is to drive out there. No growlers...:hairout:

who the **** has the right mind to tell you that you ain't getting more Class X's? she should be fired.

I didn't bother to ask if they could fill my growler with it, just wasn't my cup of tea.

KRBC ought to distribute more of their stuff! at least the local market here has the Class V and the JO IPA. no Isabella Blonde nor Sequoia Red available.

xcheck
June 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Kostritzer Black Lager

Blows away Sam Adams Black Lager. They have it on tap on The Yardhouse.

Had the Kostritzer last night while watching Game 7. My favorite German bier.

roenick
June 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Finishing off my second of this tonight. Nice summertime beer of interesting flavor. If you ever go to a Seahawk or Mariner's game be sure to go the Pyramid Ale House. You can get some very go beer that is fresh (the Ale House is one of their brew houses) and really good food. This beer in particular is incredible off the tap on a warm summer day (not that we get many of these here in the Puget Sound!).

http://www.tailgate365.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/bottle_audacious.png

roenick
June 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Just finishing this off. Wow is all I can say! 11.9% on this bad boy.

http://foolery.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451972669e201543248f2f8970c-800wi

daxx
June 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Just got some of the Newcastle Summer ale. All I can say is meh.
Newcastle is slightly malty with almost no hop. This beer claims to have hoppiness, but if an English Pale Ale is what you desire I suggest you go elsewhere. Also, if you want a summer ale, I suggest you go to Sam Adams Summer Ale or New Belgium Skinny Dip. This 12er was a waste of $15.

mitchrock
June 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Alaskan Summer is a good brew. Highly recommend it.

UnholyGoalie
June 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Had a taster of Bruery Cuir. My good molly! Talk about a malty-caramelly bomb! I think I might have to pick up a bottle or two, depending on the (I'm assuming) large price tag.

Stormy2213
June 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Had a taster of Bruery Cuir. My good molly! Talk about a malty-caramelly bomb! I think I might have to pick up a bottle or two, depending on the (I'm assuming) large price tag.

Hey, it must be Bruery week. I had a bottle of Mischief last night. Awesome! Very balanced, beautiful nose. Delicious stuff.

roenick
June 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Alaskan Summer is a good brew. Highly recommend it.

This is a beer I have liked for quite awhile. I can get it at Costco by the case here in WA. I will admit, though, now that I have been to Alaska fishing it is ten times better off the tap!

http://www.hoppsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/alaskan-summer-ale.gif

mitchrock
June 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM
This is a beer I have liked for quite awhile. I can get it at Costco by the case here in WA. I will admit, though, now that I have been to Alaska fishing it is ten times better off the tap!

http://www.hoppsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/alaskan-summer-ale.gif

Agreed. The first time I had it was at the Alaskan Brewery. We bought a case and had it back on the cruise ship. Good times.

Azagthoth
June 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM

20. Worth it IMO.

jammer06
June 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Was in Maui last week, tried all of the Maui Brewing co's beers. Of their canned stuff the Bikini Blond is a great hot weather beer. But on tap they have a really good bourbon ale called Oaked KGB. Tried my first of these styles of beers in Kentucky and they're really good sipping beers. Good stuff to try if you're there and looking to hang out in a pub for a while.

UnholyGoalie
June 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Did you try their coconut porter? The canned version hardly has any coconut in it. I'm wondering if it tastes more coconut-y on tap.

jammer06
June 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
The coconut porter I had came with the sampler so it was small. I'm very sensitive to coconut so for me it was overpowering and the porter part tasted burnt. But it was basically little more than a shot so hard to say. Mentally I really didn't care if I liked it as I was interested in others.

DougW8
June 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I've had the coconut porter on tap a couple of times at the Portland Brewfest. On tap, it did have more of a coconut flavor if I remember right. I'll see if I can find my notes form the fest last year, and see what I wrote. Had the coconut brew from Kona at the same fest, so want to make sure I don't give you information on the wrong one.

UnholyGoalie
July 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Alesmith Yulesmith Holiday Ale. Nice IIPA. Funny how the beer has two sides. The first half is a nice buttery sweet mild ale and the midway through the hops blast in and ride out until the finish.

Had a pint of Dugana and while it was good I prefer Maharaja. Also shared a half pint of Bruery Cuir with some friends. All of them loved it. I'm very glad I picked up a couple bottles of it. If I don't buy any more bottles for a bit, I might buy one or two more Cuir's.

UnholyGoalie
July 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Ommegang Cup 'O Kyndnes gifted to me by a buddy. Here's my review: Pours a dark and deep brown color with a creamy head and a mildly smoky aroma with fermented dark fruits and a little wine. Just like the aroma the flavor is a nice mild smoke with fruity esters along with subtle Belgian yeast switching to an undercurrent of malt base and hop bitter finish. Hints of pear with a finish that is neither malty or bitter but balanced with both. A nice and pretty unique beer.

mitchrock
July 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
picked up a 12 pack of Lagunitas IPA. For $13.99, I cannot find a better 12 pack of beer.

BeerMan
July 3rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
had a Pliny the Elder for the first time. not bad. but not on the same level as either KRBC's IPAs, so **** you! so ****in over-rated, you hypers owe me a Citra IPA

and Craftsman's Fourth of July Red Ale? oh ****, that is good! not a big fan of red ales myself, but this one tasted like red ale made the Belgian-style way. if they make more of it, I'll be sure to have that first order of the night.

Stormy2213
July 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
had a Pliny the Elder for the first time. not bad. but not on the same level as either KRBC's IPAs, so **** you! so ****in over-rated, you hypers owe me a Citra IPA

Ouch, a little harsh on us Pliny fans, don't you think? :love:

I love's me some KRBC JO IPA, but there is no denying a fresh Pliny. Both VERY GOOD examples of what great IPA we have coming out of Cali. We are lucky to have such a great range of outstanding IPAs to choose from. Pliny, Sculpin, JO or Citra, Lagunitas, Union Jack - the list goes on. So lucky to have great choices in IPA (not to mention all the other varieties being produced here in state).

BTW, I bottled the IPA yesterday and poured a bit just to taste. I have a feeling this one might be a special batch. I'll know in a couple of weeks for sure. I'll be sure to report back. And, we may be heading to Lake Isabella in a couple of weeks. I'll post then as well. Maybe some of the beer reporters here will be in Kernville when we are. I'd love for you to buy me a Citra! :bmario:

BeerMan
July 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
in a couple of weeks? hmmm I wasn't really planning on going til the weather cools down and the river slows down.

besides, I don't think they'll have the Citra ready til Fall, as I was told last month.

Stormy2213
July 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
in a couple of weeks? hmmm I wasn't really planning on going til the weather cools down and the river slows down.

besides, I don't think they'll have the Citra ready til Fall, as I was told last month.

Well screw that then! I'll go to Santa Rose instead dammit! :animal-smiley:

BeerMan
July 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
tried the Parabola 2011 last night. wow. poured in a goblet with a bit of head but not thin. looked dark with brown caramelly color. smelled cognac and hints of chocolate. felt creamy and smooth with ticklish maltiness. a good swift kick to the ass level of alcohol content.

this would be a better example of an aged beer. need to grab another bottle or two then store it away for a long while. well worth the $15.

BeerMan
July 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Well screw that then! I'll go to Santa Rose instead dammit! :animal-smiley:

I'd still go for a couple helpers of santa fe rolls!

MJ
July 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I need to start following this thread again. On that point, i randomly found a 32OZ Corona Familiar. I had never seen it before nor heard about it, so i had to give it a try. I actually liked it a lot, had that subtle taste of corona but smoother like a darker beer (think Newcastle). I want to say its Corona's version of Dos Equis Amber (as opposed to their respective lager), but without the harder, bitter after taste Dos Equis Amber has.

BeerMan
July 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
btw, KRBC's JO IPA just won the Gold Medal for American-style IPA at the San Diego Beer Festival.

list of results for this and other beers: http://www.sdfair.com/pdf/11beer_festival_results.pdf

UnholyGoalie
July 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I need to start following this thread again. On that point, i randomly found a 32OZ Corona Familiar. I had never seen it before nor heard about it, so i had to give it a try. I actually liked it a lot, had that subtle taste of corona but smoother like a darker beer (think Newcastle). I want to say its Corona's version of Dos Equis Amber (as opposed to their respective lager), but without the harder, bitter after taste Dos Equis Amber has.

How many beers have you tried? I saw that beer the other day but I didn't pick it up. Pale lagers don't do much for me. The only one I've had thus far that was a cut above the rest was Kona Longboard Lager.

I've basically reconciled it in my mind that Mexican beer just won't give me what I want. Negro Modelo was better, but even that left me wanting a lot more. I was in Total Wine in Thousand Oaks and saw a couple Mexican beers that I'd never seen before, both in cans. One was called Chupacabra, IIRC. Next time I'm there I'll pick up one of each and try them out. There may be hope yet.

I day dream of moving to Mexico and starting up a craft brewery. The names for the beers write themselves.

Aztec Sacrifice Red Ale
Atole Chocolate Stout
Moctezuma?s Revenge Brown Ale
El Cucuy IPA
Padre Hidalgo Dubbel
Cortez Tripel
Me Llamo El Diablo Quad
Abuelito Old Ale
Yo No Saison (my buddy came up with this one)
El Borracho Strong Ale

Jaygokings!
July 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. hands down best beer I have ever tasted.

MJ
July 7th, 2011, 12:51 AM
How many beers have you tried? I saw that beer the other day but I didn't pick it up. Pale lagers don't do much for me. The only one I've had thus far that was a cut above the rest was Kona Longboard Lager.

I've basically reconciled it in my mind that Mexican beer just won't give me what I want. Negro Modelo was better, but even that left me wanting a lot more. I was in Total Wine in Thousand Oaks and saw a couple Mexican beers that I'd never seen before, both in cans. One was called Chupacabra, IIRC. Next time I'm there I'll pick up one of each and try them out. There may be hope yet.

I day dream of moving to Mexico and starting up a craft brewery. The names for the beers write themselves.

Aztec Sacrifice Red Ale
Atole Chocolate Stout
Moctezuma?s Revenge Brown Ale
El Cucuy IPA
Padre Hidalgo Dubbel
Cortez Tripel
Me Llamo El Diablo Quad
Abuelito Old Ale
Yo No Saison (my buddy came up with this one)
El Borracho Strong Ale

Ive tried upwards of 150-175 beers id say. I go to beer tasting events and festivals whenever i have the time/money/sense to plan ahead for one. I also enjoy grabbing anything that catches my eye (and that i havent tried) at a bar or convenience/liquor store.