PDA

View Full Version : The recommend-a-beer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

KingsOvAllKings
July 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM
How many beers have you tried? I saw that beer the other day but I didn't pick it up. Pale lagers don't do much for me. The only one I've had thus far that was a cut above the rest was Kona Longboard Lager.

I've basically reconciled it in my mind that Mexican beer just won't give me what I want. Negro Modelo was better, but even that left me wanting a lot more. I was in Total Wine in Thousand Oaks and saw a couple Mexican beers that I'd never seen before, both in cans. One was called Chupacabra, IIRC. Next time I'm there I'll pick up one of each and try them out. There may be hope yet.

I day dream of moving to Mexico and starting up a craft brewery. The names for the beers write themselves.

Aztec Sacrifice Red Ale
Atole Chocolate Stout
Moctezuma?s Revenge Brown Ale
El Cucuy IPA
Padre Hidalgo Dubbel
Cortez Tripel
Me Llamo El Diablo Quad
Abuelito Old Ale
Yo No Saison (my buddy came up with this one)
El Borracho Strong Ale

You should try beers from the baja mexican microbrewery Cucapa, they make that chupacabras beer and a few others. Really good stuff!

Azagthoth
July 8th, 2011, 04:53 AM
You should try beers from the baja mexican microbrewery Cucapa, they make that chupacabras beer and a few others. Really good stuff!

I second this. I believe it was a barleywine of theirs that I had....not bad at all!

Dunno if its the hot weather, but I've really been enjoying Dos Equis and Modelo with Mexican food lately.

jammer06
July 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. hands down best beer I have ever tasted.

mmmmmm loved their winter solstice, will have to find me some and try it.

Azagthoth
July 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
mmmmmm loved their winter solstice, will have to find me some and try it.

I had a 6'er of the Hop Ottin IPA this weekend, canned.......UNBELIEVABLE! As if the bottled versuib wasn't good enough to begin with........

DRGinLBC
July 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Going to a a couple breweries (stone, ballast point, green flash, alesmith) and tasting this weekend. Bringing Bruery Cuir and Bruery Batch 300.

Will report back.

BeerMan
July 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Going to a a couple breweries (stone, ballast point, green flash, alesmith) and tasting this weekend. Bringing Bruery Cuir and Bruery Batch 300.

Will report back.

let me know when you leave so I can raid your beer cellar.

rigatony
July 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Had some really good beer at the Telegraph Brewing Company in Santa Barbara.

I had the California Ale, Stock Porter, and the White Ale.

Check it out.

I have seen it sold at Whole Foods if you want to give it a go.

Telegraph Brewing Company (http://www.telegraphbrewing.com/)

sonnyboy11
July 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.BUZZwinebeershop.com

Oh man. Someone pinch me. A recently opened high end beer/wine shop in Downtown by the Arts District. Went by it a couple nights ago with moderate expectations. Found some beers I haven't been able to find almost anywhere. Fer godssakes look at their beer list

Buzz wine beer store2 (http://buzzwinebeershop.com/buzz-wine-beer-store2)

A large wine selection. Picked up a 2008 AU Hales fruit bomb at first.

People dressed in odd gray jumpsuits with BUZZ badges on them offering customers help.

The kicker? THEY DELIVER!! $2.95 to anywhere in Downtown- Go crazy Downtowners! I just ordered the following today--

2 bottles of Hales, AU
2 bottles Man O' War Waiheke Island Sauv Blanc
2 bottles of Duchesse De Bourgogne (sour beer)
6 pack of Maui Big Swell IPA

Not all beer I know but had to put this somewhere. $2.95 fee +tip right to my door. Yay Downtown!!

BeerMan
July 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
thanks for that site, but wow. can't they get the source of beers correct? I mean, most of the Stone's beers are from either Escondido or San Diego.

and KRBCfrom San Leandro? WTF is that? no where close to Kernville.

other than that, good find.

UnholyGoalie
July 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Bruery Rugbrod. I think this may be my first rye ale. I wasn't sure I would like it but I've been pretty impressed by it. Dark and fairly malty (honestly by aroma alone I would have pegged this as a stout, perhaps even Alagash Black) with a mild/medium spiciness. Actually, I'm quaffing this down.

sonnyboy11
July 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
thanks for that site, but wow. can't they get the source of beers correct? I mean, most of the Stone's beers are from either Escondido or San Diego.

and KRBCfrom San Leandro? WTF is that? no where close to Kernville.

other than that, good find.

Good catches. I will let them know to clean it up.

Azagthoth
July 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Bruery Rugbrod. I think this may be my first rye ale. I wasn't sure I would like it but I've been pretty impressed by it. Dark and fairly malty (honestly by aroma alone I would have pegged this as a stout, perhaps even Alagash Black) with a mild/medium spiciness. Actually, I'm quaffing this down.

Rugbrod is good ****. It was meant to replace the Black Orchard as a year round brew, but recently they decided to keep it as the winter seasonal. Very malty with some nice bitterness to it, compliments of the rye.

DRGinLBC
July 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Will report back.

After visiting the new Green Flash location, Alesmith and Hess Brewing...I was only able to get around to one of these beers.

Bruery Cuir

I shared this among 3 other friends. I wasn't a big fan of this beer. Just not my style. A little too sweet for me. Big on raisins and prunes. Not much alcohol burn considering it's 14.5%. Very drinkable. I'm glad I got to experience it...but I won't be going back. Anyone want to buy/trade for my other bottle? I need to make room in the cellar.

sarf
July 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Finally, I won't have to drive to T. Phillips or the Back Abbey to find the good stuff.

The Congregation Ale House is opening up a location in Azusa (and Pasadena).

Congregation Ale House (http://www.congregationalehouse.com/)

DougW8
July 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Finally, I won't have to drive to T. Phillips or the Back Abbey to find the good stuff.

The Congregation Ale House is opening up a location in Azusa (and Pasadena).

Congregation Ale House (http://www.congregationalehouse.com/)

Ok, now you don't have to drive, but I do. The Back Abbey is walking distance, but the menu is different enought to make me want to drive down to Long Beach tomorrow. I need to be in Seal Beach by 6 anyway, so I guess I'll just head out early.

BeerMan
July 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
color me wrong, but Congregation seems to be expanding too fast. and can't Pasadena have enough pubs? Lucky Baldwin's, FTW.

UnholyGoalie
July 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Cracked open a can of Chupacabras which is their pale ale. I dug it! For some reason it had some sort of deep sweetness that reminded me of the cocoa I get from Maui CoCoNut porter. Enough hoppiness to get the point across with a strong malt backbone. I liked it!

Obscura, which is their brown ale is disappointing. The nose is mildly malty sweet and the dark brown color had me anticipating a damn fine beer however halfway through each sip the beer takes a weird turn into some sort of metallic, off taste that makes me wonder if I have an old bottle. I really really wanted to like this one but it's been a disappointment, especially since I've been hoping to find a nice dark, malty Mexican beer. I'll buy another bottle of this when I get the chance just to see if this one is just a bad bottle.

KingsOvAllKings
July 15th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Cracked open a can of Chupacabras which is their pale ale. I dug it! For some reason it had some sort of deep sweetness that reminded me of the cocoa I get from Maui CoCoNut porter. Enough hoppiness to get the point across with a strong malt backbone. I liked it!

Obscura, which is their brown ale is disappointing. The nose is mildly malty sweet and the dark brown color had me anticipating a damn fine beer however halfway through each sip the beer takes a weird turn into some sort of metallic, off taste that makes me wonder if I have an old bottle. I really really wanted to like this one but it's been a disappointment, especially since I've been hoping to find a nice dark, malty Mexican beer. I'll buy another bottle of this when I get the chance just to see if this one is just a bad bottle.

Not sure if they have any of their beers on tap around here ( i dont see why not since we are really close to their brewery) but i would like to taste both of them to see if they are any better. If you or anyone else knows where they might have them give me a heads up.

Congregation ale house looks nice! and their prices seem really good as well. Any idea when their new locations wlll open?

Azagthoth
July 15th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Just had the latest Port Anniversary Ale, the 5th I believe it is. Among the most bitter I have ever had, and reminded me of why I used to love Stone so much. Stone used to be the San Diego style hop innovators. Anymore, not so much and they just wreck themselves with too much experimental **** and collaborations. Port 5th really pushes the extremity of hops which can be right up my alley if the malt is in balance too - which it was! 10% ABV, great Malt to Hop ratio, and excellent on the carbonation. I was hoping Firestone's Double Jack would have been something like this.

I can still taste the dryness from the hop explosion in my mouth this morning. Gotta hand it to Port for not venturing out too far from the given styles and still making them interesting, and by the dozen.

Living in The Cuc rules - 5 minutes away from Total Wine. Working in San Dimas rules - 2 minutes away from Lone Hill Liquor.

DougW8
July 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Just had the latest Port Anniversary Ale, the 5th I believe it is. Among the most bitter I have ever had, and reminded me of why I used to love Stone so much. Stone used to be the San Diego style hop innovators. Anymore, not so much and they just wreck themselves with too much experimental **** and collaborations. Port 5th really pushes the extremity of hops which can be right up my alley if the malt is in balance too - which it was! 10% ABV, great Malt to Hop ratio, and excellent on the carbonation. I was hoping Firestone's Double Jack would have been something like this.

I can still taste the dryness from the hop explosion in my mouth this morning. Gotta hand it to Port for not venturing out too far from the given styles and still making them interesting, and by the dozen.

Living in The Cuc rules - 5 minutes away from Total Wine. Working in San Dimas rules - 2 minutes away from Lone Hill Liquor.

Now if you would only deliver to Claremont as you travel back and forth to work.

UnholyGoalie
July 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Heretic Evil Twin (red ale, quite hoppy with a strong malt backbone. Very good)
Avery Maharaja (excellent as always)
Stone Sublimely Self Righteous (quite good)
Stone Imperial Russian Stout '11 (a tad smokier and more bitter than I remember)

BeerMan
July 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Deschutes Hoptenge IPA - quite hoppy and strong. one pint knocked my wench down.

Azagthoth
July 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I did some revisiting of favorites this weekend.

Unibroue - Maudite
St. Bernardus - Quad

Delicious!

mitchrock
July 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Had the Port 3rd anniversary on Firday. Weighs in at 10% ABV, hoppy and oily. okay brew

darby
July 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I need a suggeston for a semi-readily available black lager.

Anyone got somethin for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stormy2213
July 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Xingu and Kostritzer are the ones I see on a regular basis in non-beer oriented stores. Both should be pretty easy to get and both are good beers.

http://www.binnys.com/images/beerlabels/822628L.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Logo_Kostritzer.jpg

mitchrock
July 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
In the winter time. Sam Adams Black Lager is available and damn good.

jammer06
July 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Speakeasy Prohibition Ale:
Really good smooth ale, smooth aftertaste with lots of carmel flavor. Was surprised how much I liked it. Going to try another 6pack to see if I just was in the mood for it last time or if it really was that good.

KingsOvAllKings
July 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I just tried Kostritzer and its good, im not a fan of strong roasty flavors this one is mild compared to others.

Also bought some good ol' Mississippi Mud hah.

mitchrock
July 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
i just tried kostritzer and its good, im not a fan of strong roasty flavors this one is mild compared to others.

Also bought some good ol' mississippi mud hah.

hah!

UnholyGoalie
July 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Hofbrau Dunkel?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4806599265_bfd33657e4.jpg

Oh, if you can find it, Gosser Dark is one of my favs! Seems to be kinda hard to find though.
http://beercraving.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/beer_image/IMG_1054.JPG

Azagthoth
July 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Full Sail Black Session Lager rules.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chateau Bow Wow
July 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Just had a bottle of Old Stock, damn good. Definitely a sipper at 11.9 ABV.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1491/oldstock.jpg

Azagthoth
July 27th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Just had a bottle of Old Stock, damn good. Definitely a sipper at 11.9 ABV.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1491/oldstock.jpg

Nice choice! I loved the barrel aged version, except for the price tag it came with.

UnholyGoalie
July 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sipping on a Lagunitas Lucky 13.alt. Pretty good stuff. Unlike the regular Lucky 13 (which I gotta buy again if I come across some), this one is a clear pale honey, copper color with an aroma and flavor of sweet malts and medium biting floral hops. If you can find it around (the pinup girl's hair is green, makes it easier to recognize) I suggest giving it a shot.

BeerMan
July 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Black Butte XXIII Porter

deep roasty malty very ****in' black. a bit creamy but packs a wallop in alcohol content.

! think that the Deschutes' 23rd anniversary release should age a year before it gets opened.

highly recommended.

BeerMan
July 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM
38 Degrees in Alhambra is having a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA party tomorrow at 1pm. its ALC is so high it will be served in 5 oz. glasses.

Azagthoth
July 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
38 Degrees in Alhambra is having a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA party tomorrow at 1pm. its ALC is so high it will be served in 5 oz. glasses.

I can do a 750 ml of Black Tuesday and be easily ready for more.....5 oz of 120? Bring it on!

UnholyGoalie
July 30th, 2011, 09:04 PM
GD chocolate oak aged yeti. Loving this. Pretty damn complex. The first sip alone had about 3-4 waves/transitions. The label said they used some cayenne in this and I'm definitely starting to feel a warming sensation down my throat that is lasting longer than just the alcohol heat would.

BeerMan
July 31st, 2011, 08:02 PM
the 120 Minute IPA was a nice beer. malty and sweet with subtle hints of 18 holy **** % alcohol. it's a nice kick.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/5996711208_7f535dbda8.jpg

KingsOvAllKings
August 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
the 120 Minute IPA was a nice beer. malty and sweet with subtle hints of 18 holy **** % alcohol. it's a nice kick.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/5996711208_7f535dbda8.jpg

Nice went there last year for my birthday.

BeerMan
August 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
International IPA Day is this Thursday. go celebrate by enjoying your favorite IPA.

Lucky Baldwin is holding the Belgian Beer Festival this coming weekend. all three locations (Old Towne, Trappiste and Delirium).

hooray beer!

mitchrock
August 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Happy IPA DAY fellow Beer Drinkers!

I've got Lagunitas IPA in da fridge for tonight.

BeerMan
August 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ninkasi Total Dominion IPA, bitches!

IceBat
August 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm off to the local drinking establishment to enjoy a Wipeout on tap! :salute:

holedigger
August 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I will be drinking the Stone IPA I have in the fridge for the IPA day celebration.

nick_nautious
August 4th, 2011, 06:00 PM
picked up a 12pack of the new newcastle werewolf... in the fridge getting cold.. be back later

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/nick_nautious/werewolf.jpg

Jaygokings!
August 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I have 2 for you guys to check out. Absolutely delicious.

Barney Flats Anderson Valley Oatmeal stout: Exactly what you want from an oatmeal stout, dark, rich, sweet aroma. Hints of cocoa, coffee, and some light nutty flavors.

Probably one of the best beers I have had...and of course..if you have not gone to BevMo to get this...you're not living...

Samuel Smiths Famous Tadcaster (Taddy) Porter: Roasted rich malt, with a hint of coffee, caramel, and what seems to be a bit of fig.

These two are a must try for any beer advocate.

waterboy100
August 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
had me some red trolley ale last week in san diego
Red Trolley Ale (http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Brews/OurBeer/RedTrolley.html)
http://www.thebarleyblog.com/images/karl-strauss-red-trolley-2.jpg

i dont really judge beers in any sense other than 'i like it' and 'i dont like it'
and red trolley ale fits firmly in the 'i like it' category.

UnholyGoalie
August 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Sipping on some Peche Mortel. Heard this is one of the great imp stouts out there. Eh, I dunno. Pitch black, creamy and viscous like few others with serious roasty flavors and an almost mushroom like savory mustiness. Reminds me a tad of Ten Fidy. Peculiar for a beer of this style, I'm getting very little sweetness and what cocoa I'm getting is akin to bitter, dark, non sweetened cocoa. I have one more bottle of this that I might try to shelve for a year or two to see if that helps any.

BeerMan
August 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
if any of you haven't had Maui Coconut Porter yet, do go and try it. never the **** mind that it comes in the unholy of all that a beer comes out of, but tonight's tasting (at the Library Ale House and unsurprisingly I did not order it) really skewered my opinion that not all canned beer is that bad.

other than that, bottle or canned, this Coconut Porter is one fine beer and I wouldn't mind picking up a *gasp* 6er next time I see a Maui.

nick_nautious
August 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
if any of you haven't had Maui Coconut Porter yet, do go and try it. never the **** mind that it comes in the unholy of all that a beer comes out of, but tonight's tasting (at the Library Ale House and unsurprisingly I did not order it) really skewered my opinion that not all canned beer is that bad.

other than that, bottle or canned, this Coconut Porter is one fine beer and I wouldn't mind picking up a *gasp* 6er next time I see a Maui.

canned beer is actually starting a huge come back among alot of breweries. it keeps the beer alot fresher than bottles that can sometimes leak air. cans also have the advantage of zero light getting in which can destroy a beer. it gets colder faster and longer as well. and technology has come a long way from getting that old "can" taste

DougW8
August 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Heading out soon to see what beers are on tap today at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach. Between the Abbey and Beachwood, it should be a good beer day. Housesitting at the beach isn't a bad gig. Sand,sun, beach and beer, I could easily get used to this.

BeerMan
August 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
canned beer is actually starting a huge come back among alot of breweries. it keeps the beer alot fresher than bottles that can sometimes leak air. cans also have the advantage of zero light getting in which can destroy a beer. it gets colder faster and longer as well. and technology has come a long way from getting that old "can" taste well, duh, yes.

BeerMan
August 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Stone Brewing is holding a raffle for the 500ml special release. in this case, 500 lucky winners will buy a bottle of Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter aged 2 years in a bourbon barrel.

unfortunately, only 500 (that is five hundred to you) 500ml bottles are in stock, waiting to be sold $25 each to a lucky "winner". can I venture to lay a guess that a bottle this big would fetch at least 3 times that in a regular store?

unfortunately, they do not ship.

Quingenti Millilitre (http://www.stonebrew.com/500ml/)

raffle tickets have been bought. hope I get chosen.

nick_nautious
August 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
mmm first time i had a dogfish head beer... their 90 minute IPA was pretty amazing

Azagthoth
August 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Stone Brewing is holding a raffle for the 500ml special release. in this case, 500 lucky winners will buy a bottle of Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter aged 2 years in a bourbon barrel.

unfortunately, only 500 (that is five hundred to you) 500ml bottles are in stock, waiting to be sold $25 each to a lucky "winner". can I venture to lay a guess that a bottle this big would fetch at least 3 times that in a regular store?

The original version of that beer was crap and overhyped IMO. No way I'd pay that much money for it barrel aged. You can bet 90% of everybody's intention is E-baying it, rather than for personal consumption.

DougW8
August 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Just a heads up that the California Beerfest is coming back to Claremont this year. They expect to have over 60 beers on tap. $40.00 entrance to the fest, and unlimited samples. For those coming from out of the area, the Metrolink station is only about 3 blocks away. I went last year, and then stopped by The Back Abbey afterward for a great burger. October 8th. They limit the crowd, so the lines aren't too bad.

California Beer Festival - Claremont, CA - October 8, 2011 (http://www.californiabeerfestival.com/claremont.html)

jerseydevil
August 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Newcastle’s Werewolf Blood Red Ale | CHUD.com (http://www.chud.com/63356/newcastles-werewolf-blood-red-ale/)

Certain BevMos are carrying this, has anyone tried it yet?

nick_nautious
August 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Newcastle’s Werewolf Blood Red Ale | CHUD.com (http://www.chud.com/63356/newcastles-werewolf-blood-red-ale/)

Certain BevMos are carrying this, has anyone tried it yet?

i got it last week. its pretty good. but its not really a red ale, its more of a chocolate-y tasting newcastle...(couldnt really put my finger on the exact taste) different but pretty good. i picked it up at la bodega in riverside, and i was just at the bevmo in menifee and they had it

jammer06
August 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
i got it last week. its pretty good. but its not really a red ale, its more of a chocolate-y tasting newcastle...(couldnt really put my finger on the exact taste) different but pretty good. i picked it up at la bodega in riverside, and i was just at the bevmo in menifee and they had it
They actually had it a lucky's up here in the Bay area, I liked it. Had the distintive newcastle flavor but with a different background. I was a fan for the first 12 anyway.

rinkrat
August 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
CraftBeer.com | News: 3rd Annual LA Beer Week: Oct 10-23 (http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/news-and-events/news/show?title=3rd-annual-la-beer-week-oct-10-23)

DRGinLBC
August 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone want to trade for an Ivan the Terrible?

Azagthoth
August 18th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Im always down for a Russian Imperial Stout. What are you looking for?

BeerMan
August 18th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I'm planning a day trip to the KRBC on Saturday for some you-know-whats.

DRGinLBC
August 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Im always down for a Russian Imperial Stout. What are you looking for?

Sours?

DRGinLBC
August 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I'm planning a day trip to the KRBC on Saturday for some you-know-whats.

Would you like to bring me back some Citra? :)

BeerMan
August 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Would you like to bring me back some Citra? :)

for one of those other you-know-whats? sure!

DRGinLBC
August 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
for one of those other you-know-whats? sure!

Name your price.

UnholyGoalie
August 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Beerman, they selling growlers of Class X yet? Or their pumpkin ale? If so, I'll make it worth your while.

BeerMan
August 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Beerman, they selling growlers of Class X yet? Or their pumpkin ale? If so, I'll make it worth your while.

don't think so.

their pumpkin ale won't be released til next month. they just started brewing it this week.

here's how I think it works for a Citra DIPA at KRBC: it's so popular that they ran out sooner than expected the last time it got released (a couple of months ago?). so the folks in Kernville are limiting six 22oz bombers and two growlers per person.

that said, with my wench coming along, we may bring home a dozen bottles and 4 growlers of the greatest IPA, if not the DIPA, in the world (by my standards).

so, we'll see.

BeerMan
August 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Name your price.

two bombers of Citra DIPA?

BeerMan
August 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Deschutes No. 2 in Conflux Series

light colored body, heady white foam. flavor is somewhat robusty american styled ale with ahint of citrus. feel is crisp, smooth. aftertaste reminiscent of a lager.

not my thing. your call.

BeerMan
August 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Bad news. Bad bad news. KRBC ran out of the Citra bombers HOURS after they released it. Wow is right.

Good news though is we have been able to fill our four growlers with it.

They plan to make another batch at the beginning of next year. In the meantime, the folks are working to get ready for another batch of their 5th anniversary special after finishing the pumpkin ale process.

It is nice up here. So are the Southwest spring rolls. mmmmmm

IceBat
August 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I went up there in May, but was too early for the Citra. How I wish I were there now...

UnholyGoalie
August 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Stone 15th Anni imperial black IPA. Peculiar, this one. Nose of mild-to-medium hops and pine with a subtle underlying malt cocoa. Taste is about the same but the alcohol vapors just about bulldoze the hop profile during the middle. Now that my tastebuds have adjusted, the hops that give the pine essence (a hop fiend would know which hops these are, alas, I am not one) stick out like a sore thumb and seem to give a disjointed flavor profile that works its way through to the end which gives a subtle malty, cocoa and molasses finish. This bottle was bottled this month so that might explain the harshness. I have another bottle that I may age for a bit to see if the pine hops fade a little and the beer mellows out. Overall, glad I tried it but not something I would seek out again in the future.

nick_nautious
August 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM
mmmmmmmmm Ranger IPA... but you guys know this already.. nothing new

DRGinLBC
August 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
two bombers of Citra DIPA?

Guess this isn't going to happen now. :)

BeerMan
August 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Guess this isn't going to happen now. :)

bah! well, I have other beers but I have yet to make an inventory of them.

Chateau Bow Wow
August 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Had a bottle of Stones Cherry Chocolate Stout, it was ok had a faint sour cherry taste with a slight bitter chocolate note, flavors that really didn't seem to mesh. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8016/choccherrystout.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/choccherrystout.jpg/)

sonnyboy11
August 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Had a bottle of the Stone 15th Ann black IPA. Didn't wow me. I was trying to track down a bottle of the Stone Green Tea brew but came across the 15th and went with it. Not great. Unholygoalie covers it. Harsh but not bad. Just a bit of a disappointment overall.

Now, otoh

LAGUNITAS LITTLE SUMPIN' SUMPIN' ALE!

Damn this is a fine brew! Smooth, with a grassy tang you'd expect from a strong PA. Nice sweet note at the end. This thing clocks in at 7.5% alcohol by volume but you'd never know it. I just dang love Lagunitas and Sumpin Sumpin is a terrific summer beer.

UnholyGoalie
September 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Last night I had a bottle of Pike's Brewing XXXXX Extra Stout which I found peculiarly bitter. Got a roasty backbone with bitter cocoa and bitter dark roasted coffee and not much else. A little disappointed in that one. Right now I'm working on the first pumpkin beer of the not-here-yet fall season, Uinta Punk'n. Nicely balanced beer that doesn't smack you with over the top spices. Nicely mild beer that would probably make a good session beer for a nice fall afternoon.

Azagthoth
September 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Nothing new lately just enjoying and re evaluating old beers. Kind of a dead spot until the winter brews (barleywines) come out :)

Stormy2213
September 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Drake's Aroma Coma - recommended. Hard to find though. I think it was a limited run/release. Pour House got a case and we finished it in 2 hours. Good good stuff.

mitchrock
September 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Had the Stone 15th and realized it just the umpteenth brewery this year to do a black IPA. What happened to Stone starting trends instead of following them?

Was able to snag a bottle of Dogfish Head Theobroma and loved it. Still a great brew.

BeerMan
September 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
has anyone had the opportunity to find KRBC's pumpkin ale?

UnholyGoalie
September 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM
One of my retailers I frequent just got some in. I'll be picking some up tomorrow.

BeerMan
September 7th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Sierra Nevada Life & Limb

roasty malt with sweet caramel tone. good strong hit after a couple of swigs.

although it's pretty good, but doesn't float my boat. I prefer hoppiness.

DougW8
September 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Have been going into Eureka Burger in Claremont lately and they have about 5-6 taps that rotate every couple of days. This past week I have tried the Dogfishhead Punkin Ale, which had light spices but not much pumpkin flavor. Telegraph Petit Obscura. This is listed as a wild ale, good entry for someone wanting to try sours, without being overwhelmed. I also had the Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild. Lagunitas rarely fails to make decent brews, and this is no exception. Nice toasty malt flavor.

Last night they were having a Bootleggers Brewery event, with a couple of special releases. Didn't stick around for the event, but still walked away with a free glass.

UnholyGoalie
September 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Drinking a bottle of Stone/F&S/Troegs Cherry Chocolate Stout. Interesting. I kinda like it. The cherries add a sourness that cuts the rich malt, cocoa, and coffee tones. Nice and creamy. With what could come off as bad cherry flavoring, this beer has to walk a fine line between righteous brew and Nyquil cough syrup, something that I felt the Belgo-Anise IRS failed to do, at least IMO. I'm okay with this beer but I probably wouldn't chase it down again. I have another bottle which I'll keep to see if it changes any.

IceBat
September 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Right now I'm watching the Chargers & having the bottle of Dogfish Head Theobroma that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised to say that I quite like it. It's has sort of a mildly sweet "belgian" taste, and is lightly carbonated like a "real ale". When I sip it, the bubbles lightly burn. It's a nice Autumn beer. I can't wait to try the Ta Henket. Also tried Rogue's First Growth Single Malt Ale (Chatoe Rogue) earlier. Didn't like it. Tastes like a bitter pilsner. Sierra Nevada's estate ale is better.

TOUCHDOWN!

Azagthoth
September 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Have been going into Eureka Burger in Claremont lately and they have about 5-6 taps that rotate every couple of days. This past week I have tried the Dogfishhead Punkin Ale, which had light spices but not much pumpkin flavor. Telegraph Petit Obscura. This is listed as a wild ale, good entry for someone wanting to try sours, without being overwhelmed. I also had the Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild. Lagunitas rarely fails to make decent brews, and this is no exception. Nice toasty malt flavor.

Last night they were having a Bootleggers Brewery event, with a couple of special releases. Didn't stick around for the event, but still walked away with a free glass.

Dead on with the Lagunitas assessment Doug. I picked up a 6'er of the Lil Sumpin Wild at BevMo Friday night. Had 2 of them, and I got more of a banana/hefeweizen impression more than anything. Certainly doesn't come off as a brew almost 10%, but you sure feel it. I dont know how they can sell beers so affordable, but then I do - people are just too willing to pay insane amounts for beer. Lagunitas simply proves what great beer can actually sell for.

I still need to check out Eureka burger. I hear wonderful things about them with respect to both beer and food.

Azagthoth
September 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Had the Stone 15th and realized it just the umpteenth brewery this year to do a black IPA. What happened to Stone starting trends instead of following them?

Was able to snag a bottle of Dogfish Head Theobroma and loved it. Still a great brew.

Mitch I've been wondering the same thing since the 11th Anniversary release. And the whole belgian IPA trend. Stone was superior to everybody when they were innovative. Now they simply market on whats hot and honestly dont do a fantastic job at it.

BeerMan
September 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Dogfish Head Squall IPA, anyone?

I had it the other night. harsh, heavy, similar to their 90 Minute IPA but just on a slightly different plane.

not my type of tea, either way. my wench on the other hand likes it.

btw, I found the KRBC Pumpkin Ale. will crack them open soon.

BeerMan
September 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel
http://web.mit.edu/~tcarlile/www/images/blog/377houblon.jpg

go find this, imbibe in it, then report back to me.

it is a fine tripel IPA. I've been savoring it since I first tried it at Lucky Baldwin's. finally brought a huge bomber home and while it may be better off the tap, it is still the same. beware that it is unfiltered, so let it sit for a while.

jerseydevil
September 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Vons/Ralphs finally have Newcastle WEREWOLF. It's crap in a nice bottle. Gonna put one on the shelf and burn through the rest of the case. Reminds me of the futurama where bender wants to buy the LowenBot...and Fry says, 'you know the metal shavings make my throat bleed'. It's very acidic, without a taste substitution.

go
September 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Oktoberfest beers anyone? I had Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen over the weekend. I enjoyed very much. But my favorite German style is dopplebock. Yum

BeerMan
September 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Maui Brewing Company Big Swell IPA.

you all know that I hadn't exactly been a big fan of beer in a can. some of you already knew that I broke that barrier down back at some ale house in Santa Monica having MBC's coconut porter (thanks to my loving wench - she made me type this. j/k).

anyway, neither of these beers suck like the Budweisers do. highly recommended.

Stormy2213
September 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Oktoberfest beers anyone? I had Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen over the weekend. I enjoyed very much. But my favorite German style is dopplebock. Yum

I've been loading up on Spaten Oktoberfest 12 packs and the large Ayinger Oktoberfest bottles right now. Ur Marzen is one of my favorite beer styles. I can't wait for Trader Joe's to start getting the Paulaner Oktoberfest 5 liter kegs - at least I hope they get them this year. Those are uber awesome. I highly recommend grabbing a couple of those and keeping them in the fridge. Firestone Oaktoberfest is also on tap at Pour House and the Firestone tap room. I think they nail the style very well. Bonus - it's only 4.6% ABV so you can drink more! Man, I wish I was in Munich right now!!!!

http://www.destination-munich.com/images/munich-girls-of-oktoberfest-2011.jpg http://www.destination-munich.com/images/2oktoberfest-food-schweinshaxe.jpg http://www.destination-munich.com/images/2oktoberfest-hot-babes.jpg My favorite tent, the Shottenhamel, serves Spaten.

go
September 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
Stormy - I found the Ayinger at my local Trader Joe's and I saw Spaten there too. Haven't tried it.

Also I know they are selling Spaten Oktoberfest Marzen at Costco. 24 pack for $24 or something like that. Maybe I'll get that or should I just get it from TJs. Decisions decisions.

I love Spaten Optimator and Paulaner Salvator doppelbocks. I'll look out for the Paulaner Oktoberfest mini kegs too.

Stormy2213
September 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Stormy - I found the Ayinger at my local Trader Joe's and I saw Spaten there too. Haven't tried it.

Also I know they are selling Spaten Oktoberfest Marzen at Costco. 24 pack for $24 or something like that. Maybe I'll get that or should I just get it from TJs. Decisions decisions.

I love Spaten Optimator and Paulaner Salvator doppelbocks. I'll look out for the Paulaner Oktoberfest mini kegs too.

IMO you really can't go wrong with any of these Oktoberfest brews: Paulaner, Spaten, Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, or Augustiner. Ayinger is the only one that isn't right there in Munich but it's only a few km away. You may be able to find the Hofbrauhaus Marzen too but I don't know that I've seen it this year.

mark1178
September 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I recommend an open, and cold beer.

And offer me a Killians Red and I'm happy.

holedigger
September 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
IMO you really can't go wrong with any of these Oktoberfest brews: Paulaner, Spaten, Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, or Augustiner. Ayinger is the only one that isn't right there in Munich but it's only a few km away. You may be able to find the Hofbrauhaus Marzen too but I don't know that I've seen it this year.

I totally agree, great beers. I have had everyone except the Ayinger when I was in Germany. Spent some time at the Hofbrauhaus as well, getting drunk with the locals. I was fortunate to try some of the local brews in some of the small towns throughout Bavaria, they didn't suck. Probably my favorite was the beer at the Andechs monastery, the Andescher Doppelbock is outstanding and it will kick your ass. I have also stocked up on the Spaten Oktoberfest from Trader Joes.

gokingsgo22
September 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Great White is a awesome beer especially on a hot day its super refreshing.

UnholyGoalie
September 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Sipping (okay, gulping) Grand Teton Sheepeater scotch ale. First tasted this at a friend's tasting and dug it so I found a bottle for myself. It ain't disappointing. Dark brown color with a nicely viscous, creamy mouthfeel full of malty sweetness. Has the body of a stout but instead of coffee and cocoa I'm getting dark malts, booze, caramel, perhaps butterscotch, and a nice smokiness that isn't overbearing at all. Going down velvety smooth. This bottle was a bit pricey, but it's a 2009 cellar reserve (I bought at the beginning of this year) and is quite large (1Q, 1.8oz), had a pricetag of $15. All I can say is that if I see another...I'm friggin' buying it.

Azagthoth
September 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Last night I had 2 24oz'ers of Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Ale 2011. I wish wet hop ales were a standard. Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy dry crispness as that is what provides the refresh-ness in a beer....But the creamy wetness of the wet hop ales I'll take at the end of the day. Im going back to Total Wine to get more of these.

Stormy2213
September 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Last night I had 2 24oz'ers of Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Ale 2011. I wish wet hop ales were a standard. Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy dry crispness as that is what provides the refresh-ness in a beer....But the creamy wetness of the wet hop ales I'll take at the end of the day. Im going back to Total Wine to get more of these.

Outstanding. I raved about the 2010 release last year. I'm glad to hear they released a 2011 version. I LOVE this stuff! Time to head to BevMo to find as many as I can get my hands on. It will go quickly.

DRGinLBC
September 24th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Paying $10 for any IPA hurts my brain.

BeerMan
September 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Paying $10 for any IPA hurts my brain.
I'd rather get a 6er of IPA for that much.

go
September 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
So I bought the 24 pack of Spaten from Costco. It was $23 not $24. As I was grabbing it at Costco, a German guy came up to me and said in his thick German accent. "OHH OKTOBERFEST. It's good. Good price here too." Found it quite funny. Chitchatted a bit about beers.

About the beer. Drank 2 per day over the weekend and 1 per night the past 2 nights.
Very drinkable. Nice amber color. Nice smooth taste. Lack of consistent carbonation. Some beer poured a nice head, some barely poured any at all. A bit malty but not too malty. Tastes very much like the Spaten Premium Lager (Helles/Munich Pale). Overall - Ayinger is better but for the price this is good too.

Ayinger Oktoberfest gets a A-.
Spaten Oktoberfest gets a B.

BeerMan
September 28th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Congregation Ale House in Azusa....

had a Ayinger Oktoberfest tonight. pretty good.

also Eagle Rock's Populist IPA. not bad either.

their pizza was tasty.

UnholyGoalie
September 30th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Ladyface Weisenbock. Goes down waaaay too easily. Damn glad I have a growler of it sitting in the fridge.
Grand Teton Pursuit of Hoppiness. Smelling the bottle cap I thought this was gonna be a hop bomb. The hops are aggressive, don't get me wrong, but it also has a good malt backbone to balance it a little. Pretty good stuff.

WestCoastIPA
October 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Bought a New Belgium mixed 12 pack.

Fat Tire, Hoptober, Ranger IPA, and Belgo IPA. 3 bottles each.

Sharing with my brothers, watching NHL Network, and enjoying an off day from work.

BeerMan
October 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
in other news, KRBC's Citra DIPA won the Gold Medal in the Imperial IPA division at the Great American Beer Festival this weekend.

btw, my sister who normally does not prefer IPA fell in love with their Citra. damn, I'm one proud brotha.

nilswhite
October 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Pliny The Elder

WestCoastIPA
October 4th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Pliny The Elder

The Elder is good stuff!!!

BeerMan
October 4th, 2011, 05:18 AM
so is the Blind Pig

UnholyGoalie
October 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
So is Maharaja, or Chesebro IPA for that matter.

Stormy2213
October 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Pliny The Elder

So is Maharaja, or Chesebro IPA for that matter.

But Pliny is the better of the 3... :2231:

WestCoastIPA
October 7th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Going to Oktoberfest at Alpine Village in Torrance this Saturday.

Gonna be drinking a lot of Paulaner that night.:eyebrows:

Arkansas Dave
October 7th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I am a Fat Tire guy also. But not out of the bottle. Chilled beer glass.The color is half the enjoyment.It almost glows. bottoms up.

BeerMan
October 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Going to Oktoberfest at Alpine Village in Torrance this Saturday.

Gonna be drinking a lot of Paulaner that night.:eyebrows:

report back with updates, please.

DougW8
October 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
California Beerfest in Claremont tomorrow. Hope they have something interesting this year.

WestCoastIPA
October 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Will do!!!

UnholyGoalie
October 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
But Pliny is the better of the 3... :2231:

I dunno. My personal opinion is that, while a damn good beer, Pliny is way overrated. I think it comes down to preference. Maharaja, Citra, and Chesebro all have a creaminess that I enjoy which Pliny lacks. Of course, if you don't like that creaminess then I would see how Pliny would fit your tastes better.

BeerMan
October 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Will do!!!

and?

WestCoastIPA
October 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry, it took me most of the day to recover. LOL

Had a great time at Oktoberfest. Drank plenty of Paulaner at $11 for 32 oz.

Good size crowd, plenty of sexy outfits on the ladies, and of course the chicken dance.

Stormy2213
October 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I dunno. My personal opinion is that, while a damn good beer, Pliny is way overrated.

I know it comes down to personal tastes, but when I hear anybody say that Pliny is "way overrated", I really question what the term "overrated" means to them. To me overrated - because it really isn't that good of a beer yet gets a lot of props (IMO, from folks who don't have good taste!) - would be something like Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA. Pliny has pretty decent distribution (unlike KRBC or Ladyface) so maybe it's b/c more folks get to taste and talk about it compared to the others???? I don't know. You gotta drink what you like I guess. I like Pliny, A LOT, and pick it up when I can (which isn't often enough).

DRGinLBC
October 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Is this Pliny debate still going? Wow.

Drink what you like...period.

UnholyGoalie
October 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I know it comes down to personal tastes, but when I hear anybody say that Pliny is "way overrated", I really question what the term "overrated" means to them. To me overrated - because it really isn't that good of a beer yet gets a lot of props (IMO, from folks who don't have good taste!) - would be something like Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA. Pliny has pretty decent distribution (unlike KRBC or Ladyface) so maybe it's b/c more folks get to taste and talk about it compared to the others???? I don't know. You gotta drink what you like I guess. I like Pliny, A LOT, and pick it up when I can (which isn't often enough).

I think it's quite the opposite, actually. I think those that don't have it readily available are the ones that tend to over-value it. I haven't checked out BA in a while (blocked at work) but I've seen a fair share of BA's from the midwest and east coast looking hardcore for some Pliny and posting about making trips out here to taste some. Also, people tend to hold it as the benchmark for the style and compare others to it. That part is subjective. I wouldn't rank it #1 for DIPA's but another might. Doesn't make my tastebuds any more right or wrong from them.

In my experience, PtE (I've never had PtY) is very nice, crisp, and clear a medium-to-solid hop presence. Beers, such as Maharaja, have a more creamy mouthfeel, and for whatever reason, I tend to get more robust floral and bittering hops as well as a greater depth of flavor. I ain't no seasoned beer geek but I do know what hits me in the right spot and what doesn't.

I wonder when Citra hits the market if it'll create the buzz that Pliny gets. At any rate, cheers and prost to good beer, no matter which one it is!

Stormy2213
October 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I wonder when Citra hits the market if it'll create the buzz that Pliny gets. At any rate, cheers and prost to good beer, no matter which one it is!

From what I hear, their brewing capacity is WAY lower than Russian River and to get Citra you pretty much have to head out there and take your chances that they won't have run out. We got it here in Paso once, a 5 gallon keg that the owner hand delivered, and it was gone in 3 hours. Great, great stuff. I wish we could get more. We can't even get the Just Outstanding here any longer and I love that stuff to death. Haven't been able to get the Class V stout on tap either. I really hope they can increase capacity somehow b/c KRBC beers are WAAAAAAAYYYYY up there in terms of beers that I seek out.

Best local we can do is Firestone Double Jack and when you get it at the brewery tap room, it's such a treat. I sometimes forget just how great of a beer it is and when I do go there instead of Pour House, I'm always amazed at how great that beer is.

Oh, and just to make a few jealous - they had/have Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout on nitro at the tap room. I had 2 pints of that the other day and it was pretty, pretty good! I can't wait for winter ales to start hitting the market.

IceBat
October 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
:sign_beer:Going to the grand opening of Golden Road Brewing in Glendale/ A****er Village today! :cheers:

UnholyGoalie
October 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Censorship fail.

IceBat
October 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Censorship fail.

That is too funny!

BeerMan
October 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I was at the GRB grand opening too. good beers from there and other breweries. good food from the food trucks. good times.

I think it's Glendale, not At.w.a.ter Village.

BeerMan
October 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
as if you don't need a reason nor a stupid excuse to make the trip to Kernville...

The Top 5 IPAs in the World - Los Angeles Restaurants and Dining - Squid Ink (http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2011/10/the_top_5_ipas_in_the_world_me.php)

and also...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2011/10/la_beer_week_union_station.php

UnholyGoalie
October 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Last night I was talking to my buddy and he was trying to setup some get together in Isabella for NYE. Obviously, the highlight for me would be heading to KRBC. Had a few bottles of Old Horizontal last night. I assume that beer would age very nicely.

BeerMan
October 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Isabella is downriver from the lake, isn't it? quite a drive to Kernville, though, if there's snow.

that's a big IF.

BeerMan
October 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
more on KRBC and why they don't make Citra DIPA that often.

Kernville brewer sets gold standard - Bakersfield.com (http://www.bakersfield.com/entertainment/local/x860822422/Kernville-brewer-sets-gold-standard)

Arrogant Ba$tard
October 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone going to Black Tuesday tonight? I'm going to the 5-7 session.

Fisch
October 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
friend left a bottle of Gulden Draak Ale at my place, probably save it for a nice dinner as it looks pretty pricey ($14).

Azagthoth
October 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Anyone going to Black Tuesday tonight? I'm going to the 5-7 session.

How was it? I couldn't attend. The funds are way low and I'll barely be able to renew my RS membership this year. How was the S'more Tuesday?

Arrogant Ba$tard
October 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
S'more Tuesday was really tasty. Almost too deserty for me but you could really taste the graham crackers and marshmellows.

BeerMan
October 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
graham crackers and marshmellows in a beer? uhhh no thanks.

UnholyGoalie
October 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
friend left a bottle of Gulden Draak Ale at my place, probably save it for a nice dinner as it looks pretty pricey ($14).

Drink it. It's not hard to find some more. I've heard it's very good.

BeerMan
October 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Drink it. It's not hard to find some more. I've heard it's very good.
this. it's plenty available at the local beer mart.

x-wingcamewest
October 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi. Mrs xwing here. ?I have a recipe calling for Two 12-ounce bottles chestnut beer (or use any Dogfish Head beer). Is this something I can pick up at my local grocery store? If not, any good recommendations for substitutes would be greatly appreciated. ~ Thanks!

BeerMan
October 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
hey Mrs X-wing!

from what I've read about this chestnut beer, it appears to have been created at Dogfish Head Brewery, and is specifically a gluten-free beer. if you are looking to cook with gluten-free beer, here's the link for better ideas Cooking with Gluten-Free Beer - Recipes for Cooking with Gluten-Free Beer (http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreerecipes/tp/CookWithGFBeer.htm)

hope this helps!

mitchrock
October 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Tried New Belgium's Hoptober today. Good stuff. Not too hoppy, great flavor.

Stormy2213
November 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Just got a note from Jamie at Firestone Brewery with regards to the Firestone 15 release party this Saturday. I really want to go but have a ton of stuff to get done this weekend. Anybody else going? And here is the note, below:

"The list of what?s pouring (not released prior):

Beers Scheduled to Pour:

Helldorado
Good Foot
Bravo
Parabola
Sticky Monkey
Velvet Merkin
Double DBA
Black Xantus
XV
Pilsner
1-2 beers from our Sour Program

Food:

BBQ Tri-tip from Cahoots
Pastries from Luna Red
Saganaki
Cheese pairing from La Vigne Winery
Coffee from Joebella

And of course live music, tours and the brewers on hand!"

BeerMan
November 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
if only I'd take another beer-related road trip.

btw, this is not coming from me, but rumor has it that KRBC will be releasing their gold medal winning Citra this month. the limit per person may change, however.

DRGinLBC
November 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Cracking open a Black Butte XXI tonight. I've been aging it a couple years now. Hope it held up.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/black-butte-xxi.jpg

UnholyGoalie
November 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Thinking about hitting up Blue Palms in Hollywood before the game on Saturday. Anyone interested? It's subway adjacent and hopefully they'll still have a good menu of stouts leftover from tonight.

Azagthoth
November 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Thinking about hitting up Blue Palms in Hollywood before the game on Saturday. Anyone interested?

I think I'll stay in with Rosy Palm before the game on Saturday and savor what I scored at Total Wine tonight :)

Stormy2213
November 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/299621_170811059679970_100002532305455_320152_1751 945978_n.jpg

Need I say anything further????

EDIT: I hope I fixed the problem. I can see the pic.

BeerMan
November 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=4cfc8aaff0&view=att&th=1337f0f7a030259b&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1384840323101884416-1&zw

Need I say anything further????
linky no worky?

DRGinLBC
November 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
That's a pretty picture.

BeerMan
November 11th, 2011, 11:40 PM
anyone get Stone's 11s?

mitchrock
November 12th, 2011, 09:37 AM
anyone get Stone's 11s?

Tried it last night at Slaters 50l50. Almost a belgian feel with spice added. Pretty good.

Stormy2213
November 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
PourHouse has a nice lineup of IPAs on tap right now. Hurricane Deck from Figueroa Mtn., Inversion from Deschutes, Union Jack, Lagunitas IPA (along with SN Celebration, Hoppy Poppy from Figueroa Mtn - this one is pretty meh - and some Flying Dog strong ale on nitro). Enjoyed one of each of the IPA the other night, starting with the Lagunitas and ending with the Hurricane Deck (supposed to be a DIPA but I'm thinking it's just a American IPA). Overall I'd have to give the winner of the night award to the Inversion IPA. Just did it for me more than the others - and not a single one of them was anything less than a very good pour. They also finally got around to tapping the Velvet Merlin, which is, yet again, an outstanding oatmeal stout. I've got a 6'er in the fridge for the game tonight. I figure it will help ease the pain of watching a TM coached team.....

Anyway, look for the Hurricane Deck from Figueroa Mtn. It's a pretty damn good ale from a brewery that hasn't been around for very long as far as I can tell. They seem to have some dough as their packaging and marketing is pretty sweet. I saw one of their vans, painted like one of their labels, heading up the 101 the other day.

Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co. (http://www.figmtnbrew.com///)

Azagthoth
November 12th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Had a lot of new brews over the weekend and the most interesting was the 11-11-11. I bought it on the respective and overrated day while others were getting married, but not at 11:11 - am or pm.

As I am the type to inject mexican peppers 3 times a day like a heroin addict would heroin - I must say the Anaheim Chilies have no place in this here beer. A subtle chili taste I suppose is suitable, but when the finish and palate is destroyed with what some might call Aaron Sanchez's moneyface - it just isn't a good thing. I respect the experimental thing going on here, as sometimes randomness pays off! But interjecting two very distinct areas of the world doesn't always work.

I'm only going to finish this bottle because I paid hard working money for it. This one would be perfect to chase down with a Tequila shot and fried cheesy jalapenos :)

Stormy2213
November 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
As I am the type to inject mexican peppers 3 times a day like a heroin addict would heroin - I must say the Anaheim Chilies have no place in this here beer. A subtle chili taste I suppose is suitable, but when the finish and palate is destroyed with what some might call Aaron Sanchez's moneyface - it just isn't a good thing. I respect the experimental thing going on here, as sometimes randomness pays off! But interjecting two very distinct areas of the world doesn't always work.

I with you 100% on this one. I haven't found a chili beer out there that I could drink without having to force it down. I think the brewing world needs to move on from these experiments with chilies. Unless they're looking to find a way to make my beer taste like a carnitas burrito........

UnholyGoalie
November 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
That reminds me, if anyone is around Ladyface, their cask ale is their Chesebro DIPA infused with ghost peppers. It's named Ghost Face Killah. Pretty good, the chilies tame the hoppiness of the beer and you definitely feel the burn without it overwhelming and taking over the rest of the beer. Don't think I could do a whole pint of it, but a few ounces was pretty good.

BeerMan
November 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Anyway, look for the Hurricane Deck from Figueroa Mtn. It's a pretty damn good ale from a brewery that hasn't been around for very long as far as I can tell. They seem to have some dough as their packaging and marketing is pretty sweet. I saw one of their vans, painted like one of their labels, heading up the 101 the other day.

Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co. (http://www.figmtnbrew.com///)

I can't help but observe that the labels on their bottles make their beers look like salad dressings.

Stormy2213
November 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I can't help but observe that the labels on their bottles make their beers look like salad dressings.

I looked at them and thought early 20th century. But now that you mention it, yes, they sorta do. I'm going to head down to the brewery in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a follow on to all this.

DRGinLBC
November 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I drain poured it. Bad.

Had a lot of new brews over the weekend and the most interesting was the 11-11-11. I bought it on the respective and overrated day while others were getting married, but not at 11:11 - am or pm.

I'm only going to finish this bottle because I paid hard working money for it. This one would be perfect to chase down with a Tequila shot and fried cheesy jalapenos :)

mitchrock
November 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I liked the 11-11-11. The chili taste was great and offset by the cinnamon.

Creeping Death
November 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I grabbed 2 11-11-11 over the weekend. one for immediate gratification and one to save for 12-12-12. With all of the vertical epics Im saving up, Im gonna be plastered on 12-12-12.

I also grabbed a 4 pack of Goose Island's Matilda. Looking forward to trying that out this week.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I drain poured it. Bad.

I wanted to give it the DP. There was enough Belgian Strong Dark in the back end to make it palatable for the buzz which equaled the money spent.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I liked the 11-11-11. The chili taste was great and offset by the cinnamon.

Man I wish I coulda picked up on the cinnamon but I honestly didn't :( I got all Chili mostly and zero cinnamon. If I got the sin in it perhaps my rating would be a bit nicer. I am always down to sample another bottle. Sometimes we have off palate nights but I just dont think that was the case (bottle) here.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I with you 100% on this one. I haven't found a chili beer out there that I could drink without having to force it down. I think the brewing world needs to move on from these experiments with chilies. Unless they're looking to find a way to make my beer taste like a carnitas burrito........

I think a lot of these epic failures would make for great marinades. Seriously.

Azagthoth
November 14th, 2011, 11:34 PM

I think it's more of the bottle shape ?

mitchrock
November 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Man I wish I coulda picked up on the cinnamon but I honestly didn't :( I got all Chili mostly and zero cinnamon. If I got the sin in it perhaps my rating would be a bit nicer. I am always down to sample another bottle. Sometimes we have off palate nights but I just dont think that was the case (bottle) here.

Mine was from tap not a bottle. That could be a reason for the difference.

BeerMan
November 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I had some 11-11-11 last night. it was not bad enough for me to DP it. nor was it packing enough heat to throw me off.

if you previously sampled Dogfish Head's Chicory Stout, then you would have either liked or hated the same thing. The Chicory Stout packed more heat, fwiw.

BeerMan
November 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
just got the latest Citra release info from KRBC. tentative release date is day after Thanksgiving. 1 growler limit per person, but no bottles would be sold. if your liquor store carries other KRBC beers, chances are good that you will get some Citras there.

cheers!

Stormy2213
November 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
just got the latest Citra release info from KRBC. tentative release date is day after Thanksgiving. 1 growler limit per person, but no bottles would be sold. if your liquor store carries other KRBC beers, chances are good that you will get some Citras there.

cheers!

Here is what they posted on FB - looks like you will be able to get bottles:

KRBC Brewpub Citra Release Details:
Friday, November 25th: Brewpub Release of Citra Draft and bottles - 6 bottle/1growler per person limit.
Saturday, November 26th: Brewpub Release of Citra Draft and bottles - 6 bottle/1growler per person limit
Sunday, November 27th: If there is any remaining draft or bottles, (doubtful) we will continue to sell until we are out - 6 bottle/1growler per person limit.

We will be releasing Citra in Bottles and draft. Draft will be at the brewpub only. We will be selling bottles locally and to our Southern California distributor. Please don't call the pub asking where you can find bottles - we don't know who is getting Citra in Southern California since we don't sell directly to our customers there. Your best bet is to call the retail establishment you are curious about and ask them. As far as local (Bakersfield, Ridgecrest and Kern Valley), if they carry our beer currently, they are likely to receive a limited supply of Citra bottles; still it would be best if you called them and asked.

Stormy2213
November 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Time to start making plans for Summer 2012. This is going to be epic.

Firestone Walker Brewing Company - FW Invitational Brewfest (http://www.firestonebeer.com/mingle/fw-invitational-brewfest.php)

BeerMan
November 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Here is what they posted on FB - looks like you will be able to get bottles:

KRBC Brewpub Citra Release Details:
Draft will be at the brewpub only. We will be selling bottles locally and to our Southern California distributor.
I saw that, and that there is the confusing part.

DRGinLBC
November 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Firestone Walker Brewing Company - FW Invitational Brewfest (http://www.firestonebeer.com/mingle/fw-invitational-brewfest.php)

HOLY! Even with a newborn...I'm going to look into this.

Stormy2213
November 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I saw that, and that there is the confusing part.

I read it as draft will only be available at the brew pub and no place else. But bottles will be available at both the brewpub and their SoCal distro network.

BeerMan
November 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM

HOLY! Even with a newborn...I'm going to look into this.

I ain't going, I don't see KRBC on the list.

OHH!! Golden Road!! I'm so there!

in Paso Robles? damn, that's quite a drive.

BeerMan
November 18th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I read it as draft will only be available at the brew pub and no place else. But bottles will be available at both the brewpub and their SoCal distro network.

alright, that kinda clears it up. kinda.

anyway, the 6 bottle limit worked out really well the last time they released Citra in August. they ran out of those in a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out within an hour. the draft? well, it'll last maybe 3 days, unless they have people lining up around the block waiting for a growler fill.

BeerMan
November 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ColLAboration - Winter Wonderland Dec 3rd, 2011 @ Golden Road Brewing - Craft Beer Gardens and Events - We're kind of a big deal (http://www.collaboration.la/)

Azagthoth
November 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
It pains me to say this, but the Firestone 15 was horrible! I can't pick out what taste it was, but something made it so unpleasant. I am glad I only picked up one bottle. I'd like my 20 bucks back, but I am fortunate I don't have 5 more sitting in my bar. The taste of barrel aging was the only aspect that allowed me to put it down. I have noticed a pattern - they keep getting worse by the year and I started at the 10th which I thought was their best. 11 and 12 were stellar, but after that - not so much.

Highlight of the weekend is the Hangar 24 Columbus IPA. I've had it on tap in Encinitas and in bottle, and both live up to its greatness. It's rare to find a tap/bottled beer that have very slight differences. Also rocking the Celebration Ale this weekend. Had the new Anchor Xmas which was nice, and very complex for a brew @ only 5.5% ABV. Really dug the New Belgium Snowday. A great roasty and insanely bitter brew. Has to be the most bitter dark coloured beer I have enjoyed.

Cheers beer brothers!

BeerMan
November 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
maybe some beers are meant to be aged?

Azagthoth
November 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM

Some people like to age, but I always want to consume any style of beer as fresh as possible. My problem with aging is the carbonation weakening, and the Firestone 15 had very little to begin with. Don't see how this one can age too well.

Benny Adeline
November 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM

Almost all Trappist ales benefit from a few years of aging. The big, seasonal Russian Imperial Stouts and Barleywines can hold for 5-10 years (waxed caps help). Examples are Dark Lord, Darkness and Gratitude. Aging tames booziness and allows more subtle tones to mature.

Belgian Lambics and Gueuzes can age 20+ years and often do in Belgian cellars.

IPA's should never, never age no matter how rare.

Azagthoth
November 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Almost all Trappist ales benefit from a few years of aging. The big, seasonal Russian Imperial Stouts and Barleywines can hold for 5-10 years (waxed caps help). Examples are Dark Lord, Darkness and Gratitude. Aging tames booziness and allows more subtle tones to mature.

Belgian Lambics and Gueuzes can age 20+ years and often do in Belgian cellars.

IPA's should never, never age no matter how rare.

Well put. My palate indeed prefers the booze in an Imperial Stout or Barleywine, therefore I want to drink them ASAP. If it is a hoppy barleywine I especially dont want to let it age. If I am stocked up on Imperial Stouts and Barleywines, I'll leave one or two to cellar just for ****s and giggles to re-evaluate after a few years. When I do, I am glad that I enjoyed as much of them fresh as I possibly could.

Stormy2213
November 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM
It pains me to say this, but the Firestone 15 was horrible! I can't pick out what taste it was, but something made it so unpleasant. I am glad I only picked up one bottle. I'd like my 20 bucks back, but I am fortunate I don't have 5 more sitting in my bar. The taste of barrel aging was the only aspect that allowed me to put it down. I have noticed a pattern - they keep getting worse by the year and I started at the 10th which I thought was their best. 11 and 12 were stellar, but after that - not so much.

That's odd. I had the 10-14 recently and the 13 was head and shoulders the standout of the lot. There were 5 of us tasting and it was unanimous. I haven't tasted the 15 yet and probably won't for at least a year so I can't comment on that part.

Also, found Green Flash Imperial IPA at the local Albertson's for $2.99 per bomber. That's a 9.4% 22 ounce bottle for $2.99. And it wasn't a mistake in pricing. I went back 2 consecutive weekends and it was the same. I picked up 4 this weekend. I don't see how GF can possibly be making that brew and selling it so cheap. And it's not like they are buying the shelf space since their West Coast IPA and and Hop Head Red are readily available there as well. I don't understand it. Not that I'm complaining!

And the SN Celebration Ale is, once again, supremely satisfying. I just love it.

Stormy2213
November 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
OK, I know this doesn't touch on tasting or anything like that. But can this company get any cooler? I'm a big Lagunitas fan and found this video pretty cool. I'm actively searching for one of these.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc1sGw5yvI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BeerMan
November 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Arrived at the KRBC 30 minutes early after a nice drive from LA. 25 people already lined up waiting for the opening. Tickets were handed out for the bottles and a growler limit. By the time the place opened at 11:30, the line quadrupled. Word is that half the bottles have been held for the 2nd phase of release which would be tomorrow.

As of now, the line is still long for the growler fills, so at any rate, KRBC may run dry of Citras by early tomorrow afternoon. That said, if any of you plan on getting your hands on the DIPA tomorrow, go early!

Stormy2213
November 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Re: citra release, pliny the younger release, etc. - there is no beer on earth worth waiting in line for more than 2 minutes. And, at that, it better be because I'm behind some chick who can't decide on Blue moon or bud lite.

UnholyGoalie
November 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Agreed. There are beers out there I'd like to try, and I may hunt down a few, but as for buying tickets, waiting in line, camping out, lottery drawings, etc. that isht is for the birds. Too many damn fine beers out there readily available for the picking to jump through hoops for one special release.

BeerMan
November 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
we didn't have to buy tickets at the KRBC.

or maybe we shoulda?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302283_281567795221297_100001042374098_859959_1065 731369_n.jpg

x-wingcamewest
November 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Markus Maximus, Laurie thanks you so much for that prized bottle I came home with today, she is going to figure out a super special meal to make that that brew will compliment. Thanks Bro.

BeerMan
November 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
glad to hear that, woflus. has she tasted it? I didn't think it would be used for cooking, although it can, like any other beer good and crappy.. let me know how it goes.

x-wingcamewest
November 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
glad to hear that, woflus. has she tasted it? I didn't think it would be used for cooking, although it can, like any other beer good and crappy.. let me know how it goes.

nah, she's looking for a meal to have WITH the brew, not cook with it. she like hoppy beers, she wants it to be something special

BeerMan
November 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
that'll do, my brother, that'll do. give my love to the mrs.

Benny Adeline
November 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I get a case of KRBC Citra on Wednesday. Can't wait!

BeerMan
November 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I get a case of KRBC Citra on Wednesday. Can't wait!

nice! where are you getting it? don't worry, I won't steal it from you.

UnholyGoalie
November 30th, 2011, 08:10 PM
One of the retailers I buy from sold out of Citra in one day (today). Granted, they only had a case. Not even gonna bother checking other places. Mainly wanted a couple bottles to give away as gifts. I'll have to wait until it becomes more available.

DRGinLBC
November 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Drinking a Belmont Brewing LB Crude right now. It's not that good. Boo.

KRAZGRL
November 30th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Bruery Provisions still has some bottles left of Batch 50 (GFAR) - Gueuze & Melange #3 in the store. Pick some up while you can! GFAR is a little under carbonated and I just got the Melange... sounds like quite the beer though!!

BeerMan
November 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Drinking a Belmont Brewing LB Crude right now. It's not that good. Boo.

oh man, I should have mentioned a while back that I stopped by there and had a couple of their beers. the crude wasn't even what it should have been - thick.

their IPA isn't to die for, either. I should have gone for a more familiar brew, Strawberry Blonde.

Azagthoth
December 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Bruery Provisions still has some bottles left of Batch 50 (GFAR) - Gueuze & Melange #3 in the store. Pick some up while you can! GFAR is a little under carbonated and I just got the Melange... sounds like quite the beer though!!

Melange #3 is among the best the Bruery offers. It's a blend of Black Tuesday, White Oak Sap, and Papier (I think). Comes in around 15%, but so easy to put down a bottle of it. Too easy :)

Stormy2213
December 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
My cousin brought 2 6-packs of this along to Thanksgiving family get together. WOW! To hell with Brown Shugga, this is the stuff they should always make. Delicious. Great fruit on the nose - mango, tangerine, peaches - mouth watering nose. Great taste all the way down. Bitter hops and then more bitter hops. If it weren't labeled otherwise, this would be known as a great DIPA. You have to give this a try if you like any of the Citra hopped IPA out there. It's just wonderful.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/assets_c/2011/11/lagunitas-sucks-thumb-250x230.jpg

We also knocked back a couple of bombers of their Doppel Weizen and some Imperial Stout. All were perfect. Seek all 3 of them out b/c they are all great, great beers.

http://www.haresrocklots.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ab-lag-bsdw-225x300.jpghttp://coasttocoastbeers.com/images/lagunitas/lagunitas-imperial-stout_thmb.jpg

And rumor has it that there may be a keg or 2 of Wet Dog coming to SLO County soon. I can't wait to taste it - a "wet" hop APA as I understand it.

BeerMan
December 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
so, who wants to go to the Winter Wonderland at Golden Road Brewery with me this Saturday? I have tix for 2 but my wench had other plans.

you will get a commemorative taster glass and 5 beer tokens. just buy me lunch, a Winterfest stein and it's a deal.

let me know.

Azagthoth
December 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
My cousin brought 2 6-packs of this along to Thanksgiving family get together. WOW! To hell with Brown Shugga, this is the stuff they should always make. Delicious. Great fruit on the nose - mango, tangerine, peaches - mouth watering nose. Great taste all the way down. Bitter hops and then more bitter hops. If it weren't labeled otherwise, this would be known as a great DIPA. You have to give this a try if you like any of the Citra hopped IPA out there. It's just wonderful.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/assets_c/2011/11/lagunitas-sucks-thumb-250x230.jpg

We also knocked back a couple of bombers of their Doppel Weizen and some Imperial Stout. All were perfect. Seek all 3 of them out b/c they are all great, great beers.

http://www.haresrocklots.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ab-lag-bsdw-225x300.jpghttp://coasttocoastbeers.com/images/lagunitas/lagunitas-imperial-stout_thmb.jpg

And rumor has it that there may be a keg or 2 of Wet Dog coming to SLO County soon. I can't wait to taste it - a "wet" hop APA as I understand it.

Lagunitas keeps nailing it! The Sucks Holiday Ale 6'er that I had lasted about 2 hours. That stuff is dynamite. Gotta grab some more while its fresh :)

I was really impresed with the Doppel Weizen too, and I need to revisit the Imperial Stout, its been about 4 years since I had that.

Azagthoth
December 3rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Picked up a 22 oz of New Belgium's "Wet Hop IPA" from their Lips of Faith Series. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Easily in the top 5 wet hop ales I have had, probably top 3 actually.

This drinks so cleanly with a perfect balance and exceptional crispness at the end. Downside, is it cost me $7/22 oz at Total Wine. I could have easily gone through a few of these, but over 21 bucks seems like too much even as good as this brew is. Definitely seek it out! If we dont blow the budget Xmas shopping today, perhaps I'll pick up a few more.... we'll see :)

BeerMan
December 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
you people. the price for going to the beer fest today is worth one bottle of those 22oz bombers.

beer tastings of 5 different breweries and a day among the beer elites >>>>>>>>>>> enjoying 1 bottle of something else by yourself.

BeerMan
December 3rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
turned out that the festival at the GRB had been postponed due to power loss from the windstorm. but their pub was still open for drinks and growler fills, so the wench and I gladly stopped by on the way home from Santa Monica to fill ours with Point The Way IPA. we stayed a bit to sample their newest releases - Schwartz Stout (smoky with hints of coffee) and Rye On The Palate (coppery flavor with a thick head). neither are available for growler fills but will be so in the near future as they make more batches.

Azagthoth
December 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
you people. the price for going to the beer fest today is worth one bottle of those 22oz bombers.

beer tastings of 5 different breweries and a day among the beer elites >>>>>>>>>>> enjoying 1 bottle of something else by yourself.

Gave up on fests a long time ago. You can pay money to drink the company line-up again while fighting in line, and that's cool - it just ain't for me. I much prefer the surrounding tunes (Melvins) to accompany the liquid experience.

Who were the beer elites there?

mitchrock
December 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Gave up on fests a long time ago. You can pay money to drink the company line-up again while fighting in line, and that's cool - it just ain't for me. I much prefer the surrounding tunes (Melvins) to accompany the liquid experience.

Who were the beer elites there?

I'm with you Az. Much rather relax at home than deal with lines and annoying crowd.

DougW8
December 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm with you Az. Much rather relax at home than deal with lines and annoying crowd.

While I can certainly understand where you're coming from, I've had some great times at beerfests. Have met some really interesting people, and had the opportunity to talk with brewmasters from some of the smaller breweries just starting out. Even finding 2 or 3 beers I wouldn't have the opportunity to try otherwise makes it worthwhile.

BeerMan
December 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm with Doug on this. mitch and Az, I don't know which beer fests you have had bad experiences at, but the ones I have gone to were vastly different than what the both of you described. and those don't include the $40 per person events.

and besides, I would rather have some Bruery samples than shell out, say, $25 for one of their bottles.

mitchrock
December 6th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'm with Doug on this. mitch and Az, I don't know which beer fests you have had bad experiences at, but the ones I have gone to were vastly different than what the both of you described. and those don't include the $40 per person events.

and besides, I would rather have some Bruery samples than shell out, say, $25 for one of their bottles.

To each their own. I tend to drink my beers towards the end of the night when I'm nice and relaxed. Enjoy it most then. I rarely pay $25 a bottle. Haven't found anything worth that much. Usually I'll spend about $8 on a good 22 ounce bottle. My beer drinking has slowed way down, and I spend maybe $20-30 month these days on beer.

BeerMan
December 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
there's always time to enjoy a beer or three at the comforts of your own home or a friend's house, and another time to enjoy the day out at a beer fest. so yes, to each their own.

Benny Adeline
December 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
nice! where are you getting it? don't worry, I won't steal it from you.

Luckily I can get it directly from the distributor. One of the perks of being in the industry!

Azagthoth
December 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM

I'm not claiming I've been to "bad" fests (they all have good beer, therefore they aren't bad), but I refuse to believe admission fees warrant the experience to many of these events and in the end its nothing more than capitalizing off the next beer nerd. This is proof as to why I am more than happy to pay $25 a bottle for a top notch Bruery ale (more than likely barrel aged) that will do the deed of the Cardinal's calling as opposed to spending hours in numerous lines sampling stuff I have already had for the same price (in the end) , if not more. I'm not calling any brewery out specifically, just providing a respective scenario. Most fests these days incorporate the company line up, with one designated area of the "good stuff" that sells out, and I mean sells YOU out because the good money you paid to get in got you none of that.

I hate to state the obvious, but craft beer is big business and has been for several years (look at the 75% to 25% ratio in supermarkets next time you visit the cooler) - we are at a peaking point .Gonna enjoy what I can before InBev buys any more of the greats out.

BeerMan
December 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
capitalizing off the next beer nerd? what are you talking about?

aren't you the one who have gone on expensive beer shopping sprees? it's cool that you're supporting the crafts beer movement, but come on, man. what happened to the dude who used to go to 7-11 for a 24 case of Beer Lites twice a week? (we're all proud that you've graduated from that level, so to speak)

jammer06
December 8th, 2011, 01:27 AM
While I've been stuck in Vancouver had a really nice beer, Granville Island Brewery Winter. Reminds me of anderson valley winter solstice with the nice kick of vanilla at the end. Highly recommended if they have it in the states anywhere.

Azagthoth
December 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
capitalizing off the next beer nerd? what are you talking about?

aren't you the one who have gone on expensive beer shopping sprees? it's cool that you're supporting the crafts beer movement, but come on, man. what happened to the dude who used to go to 7-11 for a 24 case of Beer Lites twice a week? (we're all proud that you've graduated from that level, so to speak)

Oh I have gone on expensive shopping sprees and still do. For me its just more enjoyable to savor in my own home.

I just dont find the festivals always worth it considering what you pay to get into some of them and what you get (or many times dont). Now a backyard bottle share? Count me in!

UnholyGoalie
December 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
In the end, I hate people. So I'm much more comfortable popping open a bottle at home or going to a bar with friends.

BeerMan
December 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
oh I hate people too, but that still doesn't stop me from going to the beer fests, free glasses or not.

great beers >>>> sucky people.

besides, you'll never know who you'll run into. at the Eagle Rock Brewery's event earlier this year, I rubbed elbows with SOA's Tig, my hero.

yes, Az, backyard shares should happen.

DougW8
December 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Just give me beer! At home, at fests at backyard shares (we really need to make this happen!). Just beer me! I've been taking advantage of the barter system lately. I take home baked cookies to bars, and get free beers in return. Plus I have a lot of waitresses and bartenders who are always happy to see me.

Stormy2213
December 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
:beerchug:
In the end, I hate people. So I'm much more comfortable popping open a bottle at home or going to a bar with friends.

oh I hate people too, but that still doesn't stop me from going to the beer fests, free glasses or not.

great beers >>>> sucky people.

besides, you'll never know who you'll run into. at the Eagle Rock Brewery's event earlier this year, I rubbed elbows with SOA's Tig, my hero.

yes, Az, backyard shares should happen.

We're all misanthropes. That's why we love beer - it makes people more palatable!

!Kings!
December 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
So I stumbled on to this fine specimen today at a local liquor store...

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale....I have to say it is exceptionally good. A dark ale, and supposedly fairly new. Anyone else tried it?

Port Brewing Mongo IPA will be my second recommendation....out of a 22oz bottle it is very good, served from the kegg
it is phenominal...

Azagthoth
December 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
So I stumbled on to this fine specimen today at a local liquor store...

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale....I have to say it is exceptionally good. A dark ale, and supposedly fairly new. Anyone else tried it?

Port Brewing Mongo IPA will be my second recommendation....out of a 22oz bottle it is very good, served from the kegg
it is phenominal...

The Sublimely Self Righteous Ale was their 11th Anniversary Ale, only to be renamed and part of the year round lineup. The Sublimely Self Righteous has been out for about 3 years now. Good beer.

MONGO rules!

Arrogant Ba$tard
December 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Does anyone here have or can get a Bruery Partridge in a Pear Tree? I would really like to have one for the eventual Vertical 12 days of Christmas. I am willing to trade. I have 100% barrel aged 2 Turtle Doves, 100% barrel aged Coton, 100% Autumn Maple, heck, I'll trade a 2011 Black Tuesday.

Azagthoth
December 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Does anyone here have or can get a Bruery Partridge in a Pear Tree? I would really like to have one for the eventual Vertical 12 days of Christmas. I am willing to trade. I have 100% barrel aged 2 Turtle Doves, 100% barrel aged Coton, 100% Autumn Maple, heck, I'll trade a 2011 Black Tuesday.

Hate to say it, but it would take you more than those 4 to land you a PIAPT. The damn things go for hundreds on e-bay, and I would imagine the Barrel Aged version (i think it was limited to 250 bottles) would go for even more.

I really wish I would have stocked up on them. Not that I would cash them out or rape another connoisseur of their stash, but it really was an affordable and unique hell of a quadruple! Undercarbonated but the rest made up for it!

We bought a ton of Bruery beers at Lone Hill Liquor before they hit the map. PIAPT was 10 bucks, if that, and you could buy as much as you wanted. After Black Tuesday came out, things changed and Partridge was a new collectible. I have a few PIAPT's and one of the barrel aged ones. I'm hanging onto them for special occasions, likely a vertical. I'm not being a hoarder - but I am unwilling to trade but would definitely send you an invite when one of them gets opened. Its a great beer, but dont give up your life savings for it. As a RS member you know they still have tons of it left and pour it at special events.

Arrogant Ba$tard
December 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Totally agree. I was just throwing it out there on the slim chance someone had a hookup. I had a Papier that I opened before I realized they were doing a vertical series with that too. Kicking myself.

Azagthoth
December 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Totally agree. I was just throwing it out there on the slim chance someone had a hookup. I had a Papier that I opened before I realized they were doing a vertical series with that too. Kicking myself.

Bummer man! I've got several Papiers, but unfortunately was never able to get any of the BA Papiers. Luckily though I was able to sample some at the first RS Initiation party.

UnholyGoalie
December 16th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Lagunitas Sucks. Wasn't expecting an IPA and was actually surprised when I see it was listed as IIPA on BA. I liken this to PtE as that's the only DIPA I know of that has the crisp and clarity this beer does. Not bad at all but I was thinking this would be a spiced winter warmer ale. A head cold I'm trying to keep away might be effecting my tastebuds.

Azagthoth
December 17th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Lagunitas Sucks. Wasn't expecting an IPA and was actually surprised when I see it was listed as IIPA on BA. I liken this to PtE as that's the only DIPA I know of that has the crisp and clarity this beer does. Not bad at all but I was thinking this would be a spiced winter warmer ale. A head cold I'm trying to keep away might be effecting my tastebuds.

I tasted a super floral-hoppy low abv imperial red..... Like Alesmith's winter Yulesmith. The style is irrelevant , it just rules! Cheers!

BeerMan
December 22nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
guess what the wench got today.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/401384_2729480789646_1035990316_32987456_429671178 _n.jpg

Stormy2213
December 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Go find this if you can. WOW!!!!!! You better be wearing your big boy pants when you try this. I split a bottle with a friend two nights ago. Old Rasputin, already being one of the best RI Stouts made can't be improved upon, can it? Well, in short - YES!!! This stuff is amazing, and I hate using the word "amazing", but that is exactly what it is. Bourbon nose, figs, sweet caramel, coffee, some bitter chocolate, nice creamy mouth-feel and a WONDERFUL alcohol warmth. My goodness. What a treat. At $15 a bottle I thought it was well worth the investment. I'll be picking up a couple of bottles to lay down b/c I think this one will get better with some age. I don't know how my 3 bottles of Black Xanthus are going to stack up......

http://www.kegworks.com/images/blogpost/old-rasputin.jpg

Azagthoth
December 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Go find this if you can. WOW!!!!!! You better be wearing your big boy pants when you try this. I split a bottle with a friend two nights ago. Old Rasputin, already being one of the best RI Stouts made can't be improved upon, can it? Well, in short - YES!!! This stuff is amazing, and I hate using the word "amazing", but that is exactly what it is. Bourbon nose, figs, sweet caramel, coffee, some bitter chocolate, nice creamy mouth-feel and a WONDERFUL alcohol warmth. My goodness. What a treat. At $15 a bottle I thought it was well worth the investment. I'll be picking up a couple of bottles to lay down b/c I think this one will get better with some age. I don't know how my 3 bottles of Black Xanthus are going to stack up......

http://www.kegworks.com/images/blogpost/old-rasputin.jpg

awesome man! i picked up a XIV Barrel Aged Old Rasputin last night at Total Wine. It was in a random spot all by itself so I snagged it. Might pop it open tonight along with my 6 pack of Snow Day from New Belgium.

Stormy2213
December 23rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
awesome man! i picked up a XIV Barrel Aged Old Rasputin last night at Total Wine. It was in a random spot all by itself so I snagged it. Might pop it open tonight along with my 6 pack of Snow Day from New Belgium.

I should have noted, the pic I showed isn't the XIV that I had. It's just the first one I found that wasn't a monster sized pic. You're going to LOVE the brew. As a matter of fact, off to the Pour House to have one right now!

roenick
December 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
We just got back from Orlando and a family trip to Walt Disney World. I had my first Black and Tan at the Rose and Crown pub at the English pavilion in the Great Britain area. Very good mix.

Rob80
December 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
smithwicks.....yum :D

roenick
December 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Know Smithwicks quite well ....

UnholyGoalie
December 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Class V, oh how I love you.

BeerMan
December 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
mmm Delirium Noel. slutty err I mean silty but good even after a year.

DougW8
December 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Had Russian River Suplication today for the first time ever on tap. Not everyone is into sours, but have to say it is one of my favorites. For a change of pace, some time this week I will be opening a bottle of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Right now I think I have almost as much beer selection as the local BevMo.

UnholyGoalie
December 30th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Finally popped open my bottle of KRBC Pumpkin Ale. Seriously one of the better pumpkin beers I've ever had. Very balanced, smooth, and subtle. Most beers of this style tend to over do the spices but this is so well balanced between spices and pumpkin that it goes goes down very smoothly with a short finish. Gonna have to wait a while for another bottle, I suppose.

Azagthoth
December 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Again I am visiting the Hangar 24 Columbus IPA. Probably my favorite available IPA as of now. I don't know if i'm lucking out on always hitting it fresh, or if its just seriously this good. Beer Advocate ranks it low, but that is typical because it is a young brewery and little hype. It kicks the **** out of most IPAs except Ballast Point's Big Eye which is consistently fabulous. Hangar 24's barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout Pugachev's Cobra at 16.5% ABV was pretty damn good too. Definitely excited to see where this small project ends up!

UnholyGoalie
January 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Two things from last night. Lagunitas Sucks is quite good. The first time I had it I was dealing with a small head cold and I'm pretty sure my tastebuds were off. But having multiple bottles last night....it's quite excellent.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale. Unique brew. Smells like breakfast liquified. You get the subtle smokiness of the bacon and essence of maple syrup on pancakes (or doughnuts). Doesn't taste a whole heck of a lot like a beer, but it was enjoyable. Pretty sweet, though, so I might come down with the diabetus soon.

Stormy2213
January 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/xantus.jpg

I picked up 3 bottles of this pre-Christmas and had the self control, miraculously, to not imbibe when I had visitors. They only made 400 cases of this angel of a brew. I'm normally a big share my beer kinda guy, but having had last year's Black Xantus, this was one that I kept all for myself.

I just opened the first bottle after having let the bottle sit out of the fridge for the last 30 minutes - so that it's not so cold as to suppress all the aroma and flavor. I should preface this by saying that Russian Imperial Stout is probably my favorite beer style. Having already had my share of Old Rasputin the last month or so along with that bottle of bourbon barrel aged Old Rasputin I had a week or so ago, I was prepared to possibly have a slight let down from my memories of last year's Black Xantus. That is not the case at all. In fact, my mind has been blown, ONCE AGAIN, by the team at Firestone. All I can say to you fellow beer travellers - go and get as many bottles of this are you can get your hopppy hands on. This beer easily makes my (ever changing) Top 5 list of best beers I have ever had/in the world.

I'm having a "**** yea" moment drinking this, thanking my lucky stars to be living smack dab in the GOLDEN AGE of brewing right here in California. It is beers like Black Xantus that bring me to my knees in awe. There is SOOOOOO much going on in this. The aroma is coffee, chocolate, a slight, slight hint of bourbon. 3 magical things on their own - but put together here - it's like unicorns, rainbows, and pots of gold all rolled up into one beautiful ball. Brilliantly perfect. The mouth-feel is just velvety. Like drinking the darkest summer sky you can imagine. The taste is like the nose - coffee, chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, another small hint of bourbon. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm in heaven right now folks.

I know I'll be cracking a second bottle of this tonight. At 11% ABV, that's probably not a smart thing to do what with the kids starting school tomorrow! But what the hell? This is transcendent. This is beer meant to be celebrated, used in religious ceremonies, fit for a king, to cheer the end of wars. If I were some sort of weirdo, I'd seriously believe that this beer is making love to me. OK, I think this beer is making love to me (keep it clean you filthy minded punters!). But I'm not a weirdo - ok, maybe just a little.....

Highly, highly recommended. A 9.7, because I can't give a 10 to anything and I fully expect something to come along that will blow my mind even more. I'm still waiting for the beer equivalent of the first time I heard When Doves Cry. This is close, but more along the lines of the first time I heard Paranoid Android.

BeerMan
January 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
a good read. hehe (someone's been whining)

Sam Calagione Gives Beer Geeks An Earful. And It’s Awesome. | Beer Street Journal (http://beerstreetjournal.com/sam-calagione-gives-beer-geeks-an-earful-and-its-awesome/)

Azagthoth
January 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
a good read. hehe (someone's been whining)

Sam Calagione Gives Beer Geeks An Earful. And It’s Awesome. | Beer Street Journal (http://beerstreetjournal.com/sam-calagione-gives-beer-geeks-an-earful-and-its-awesome/)

Just curious if Sam began slamming Metallica for selling out once the Black Album was released, heh.

He raises a good point, but a lot of hype that leads to bashing or being over critical is often due to marketing techniques. Sometimes I am glad to know that a beer has received a plethora of negative reviews if it saves me money. I took that approach with the Lost Abbey until word was out that their beers had carbonation again. I see no harm in that.