PDA

View Full Version : Statue #5 @ Staples Center - Jerry West

TooCool
November 9th, 2010, 11:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5786305

Not sure if it belongs here at home ice, but I wanted to give a heads up to Kings fans who go to Staples all the time.

They'll unveil the statue during the NBA All-Star Weekend, which will be at Staples Center this season.

Dr. Naysay
November 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Where the hell is the robitaille statue?!

Dr. Naysay
November 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/robitaille/signatures

King Taco
November 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Jerry West > Luc Robitaille > Oscar De La Hoya
Posted via top secret Android device

vindogla
November 9th, 2010, 11:44 PM

Once upon a time didn't you have to be actually dead before they gave you a statue, or at least really old and about to die?

Dr. Naysay
November 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Once upon a time didn't you have to be actually dead before they gave you a statue, or at least really old and about to die?

And if there were no statues of Gretzky, Magic, De La Hoya, Hearn and West I wouldn't advocate for Robitaille.....

Sniper7
November 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM

No f@*$^*g s%!t!!!!!

NastiMarvasti
November 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Wasn't the NBA All-Star Game in LA just a few years ago?

mmmcammy
November 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I immediately pictured Adam West when I first read this.

VegasHockey
November 10th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Honestly, of all the retired players out there that actually played at Staples in their career, Luc is easily the best choice. Instead, it's all heritage type stuff of people who never got the chance to play there. How about a statue of the Forum in that case?

Goallum
November 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM

I had visions of White Witch's courtyard from Narnia.

NastiMarvasti
November 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The Adam West statue is going to be based off of this classic photo:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aWNUoaQmjqo/SIlnk96UTrI/AAAAAAAACyA/9fv82sI0HzY/s400/batman5.jpg

Conglaturation
November 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Tell me again, why is there a De La Hoya statue there?

Dr. Naysay
November 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Honestly, of all the retired players out there that actually played at Staples in their career, Luc is easily the best choice. Instead, it's all heritage type stuff of people who never got the chance to play there. How about a statue of the Forum in that case?

I GOT IT!!!

A tiny scale replica of The Forum with a tiny Robitaille statue out front of it!!!

Melfice
November 10th, 2010, 12:04 AM

I have the same question too

Goallum
November 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Cause he looks like Ziggy Palffy's twin brother?

Off2NvrLnd
November 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
yeah i don't approve of the Oscar de la Hoya statue. don't care for this new one either. why do we feel the need to plant statues everywhere? don't we have enough? especially where it DOESN'T belong.

Romulus
November 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Just wait til Kobe retires. I'm sure there will be swarms of Lakers fans calling for a statue of him to be built immediately.

Romulus
November 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
And for the sake of fairness, can we get some GODDAMN Avengers statues out there?? What about one of that great player of theirs, you know, um, that guy that was really good! Right? I'm sure they had someone good? How about the Sparks? Lisa Swoops or somethin'rother! c'mon, let's get them all involved!

For the record: I think there should be a Robitaille statue instead of a Gretzky.

Dr. Naysay
November 10th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Just wait til Kobe retires. I'm sure there will be swarms of Lakers fans calling for a statue of him to be built immediately.

I'm kind of shocked there isn't one already.

I think there should be a Robitaille statue instead of a Gretzky.

Any right thinking person would!

KingsFan19
November 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Jerry West statue...Yeah, sure...Why not? The last time I cared about basketball...Jerry West was still playing for the Lakers.

Go Kings GO!!!

Kings Fan Eh
November 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM

You're lucky, I pictured Joe West.

Romulus
November 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM

You're lucky, I pictured Joe West.

Peter North, anyone?

Immediate Edit: Don't look this up. seriously. especially if you're at work. Most definitely NSFW. Unless you're a male, then you probably don't have to look it up anyways.

Off2NvrLnd
November 10th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Peter North, anyone?

Immediate Edit: Don't look this up. seriously. especially if you're at work. Most definitely NSFW. Unless you're a male, then you probably don't have to look it up anyways.

bahaha! nice warning.

mmmcammy
November 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM
lollll. you know if you tell people not to do something, they'll want to do it more, right? or maybe that's just me.

P. Diddy
November 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Peter North, anyone?

lol the peter north stars thread here a few months ago made me lol!

darby
November 10th, 2010, 01:50 AM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c326/darby27/Posts/StaplesDigEm.jpg

KingofKings
November 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
And for the sake of fairness, can we get some GODDAMN Avengers statues out there?? What about one of that great player of theirs, you know, um, that guy that was really good! Right? I'm sure they had someone good? How about the Sparks? Lisa Swoops or somethin'rother! c'mon, let's get them all involved!

For the record: I think there should be a Robitaille statue instead of a Gretzky.

Gretzky introduced a lot of people into hockey when he came down to LA. He's probably the most important figure in hockey.
Posted via Mobile Device

x-wingcamewest
November 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Gretzky introduced a lot of people into hockey when he came down to LA. He's probably the most important figure in hockey.
Posted via Mobile Device

:frusty::fpalm:

SuxBeingU
November 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
West, Gretzky NEVER played at Staplaes they should not have a statue there. At least Magic was part owner of the Lakers up until a month ago. The ONLY statue that should be out front is Chick Hern.
Hang their jersys from the rafter fine, the statue thing is out of hand.
How long before derrick Fisher Kareem Eldon Campbell get there. Will there ne a Phil statue , Bob Miller Jim Fox Jason Allison? when will it stop

IMO LUC does not even deserve such an honor, he did play for a few other teams. That IMO disqualifies him for this honor

TONGA
November 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Luc is the only one that actually played in the building so he's out.

The statues are getting rediculous, pretty soon I'll have one outside Staples.

pucktheducks
November 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry but I really don't think Jerry West deserves ****!!! Luc Deserves more then anybody a statue in the courtyard there. I'm tired of the lakers thinking they have reign there, Hello bitches, we are the Kings and we are coming up!!!!

ydkjs2
November 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM

THIS!!!!!!

1000x

Drop The Gloves
November 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Luc is the only one that actually played in the building so he's out.

The statues are getting rediculous, pretty soon I'll have one outside Staples.

They don't have enough material for your statue :keg:

Dr. Naysay
November 13th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Bill Plaschke wrote an article in the Times this week about the statues....

from that article...

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/11/sports/la-sp-1112-plaschke-20101112/2

In talking to the folks from AEG, it seems apparent that Abdul-Jabbar and Robitaille are next on the statue list...

So... looks like Robitaille is just a matter of time.

tom91381
November 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I want a Dave Taylor one out there too.. He only knew Kings for all of his years played

Off2NvrLnd
November 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM
where are they gonna put all of these? i think they should just take the Oscar de la Hoya one down and put Luc's statue in place of it.

Brandon
November 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry but I really don't think Jerry West deserves ****!!! Luc Deserves more then anybody a statue in the courtyard there. I'm tired of the lakers thinking they have reign there, Hello bitches, we are the Kings and we are coming up!!!!

In no way am I saying Luc doesn't deserve a statue, because I'd kill to see his replace Gretzky's, but regarding Jerry West...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_West

http://www.lakerstats.com/jerry_west-profile.html

He's a Laker and NBA icon that's up there with Magic. Man should have a statue.

The problem here is that De La Hoya is ****ing it up for everyone else by cheapening the value.

daxx
November 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
So is Staples Center just going to become a bronze museaum or something?

FortyFour
August 18th, 2011, 08:07 AM
West, Gretzky NEVER played at Staplaes they should not have a statue there. At least Magic was part owner of the Lakers up until a month ago. The ONLY statue that should be out front is Chick Hern.
Hang their jersys from the rafter fine, the statue thing is out of hand.

It's been a while, but I couldn't disagree more. As a Lakers player/GM/ambassador, he earned that statue regardless of where he played. The Lakers and their fans call Staples home, so it is only fitting to have the statue there.

Not to mention, and perhaps more importantly, West was very involved in the development of Staples and acted as a consultant to AEG when plans were being drawn up.

FortyFour
August 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I'm sorry but I really don't think Jerry West deserves ****!!!

Seriously? LOL. Don't worry, Luc will get his statue. Relax.

TONGA
August 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Jerry has enough, he's on every jersey and floor in the league.

BIG JOE
August 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Will the Wilt Chamberlain statue be anatomically correct?