PDA

View Full Version : Superman v Batman/DC movies

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

NastiMarvasti
October 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Couldn't find the old thread. I really hope this is good. Great cast but the jury is still out on the director.

Henry Cavill Goes Shirtless in New Images from Immortals and Man of Steel (http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/12019/henry-cavill-goes-shirtless-in-new-images-from-immortals-and-man-of-steel/)

Russell Crowe Tweets About Fighting General Zod on 'Man of Steel' Set (http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00044640.html)

BIG JOE
October 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
It's gonna suck.

jerseydevil
October 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Couldn't find the old thread. I really hope this is good. Great cast but the jury is still out on the director.
Henry Cavill Goes Shirtless in New Images from Immortals and Man of Steel (http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/12019/henry-cavill-goes-shirtless-in-new-images-from-immortals-and-man-of-steel/)

Russell Crowe Tweets About Fighting General Zod on 'Man of Steel' Set (http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00044640.html)

Not for some of us. I dig the guy, but this will probably suck. Supes is just too pidgeonholed of a character. People don't want to see the same movie over and over, but whenever anyone tries to tinker or flat out change the dynamics of his story it just DOES NOT WORK. Batman has succeeded because there are layers to that character that allow for different interpretations. The origin with his parents death is really the only untouchable part of his story. From there it's fair game. Supes is too one-dimensional. It's latherrinserepeat or folks will simply stay away. Already with the beard...I can see Superman fans recoiling in sheer fanboy fear. Feel bad for anyone who tries to take this on. It was done once and that will forever be the benchmark.

NastiMarvasti
October 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Not for some of us. I dig the guy, but this will probably suck. Supes is just too pidgeonholed of a character. People don't want to see the same movie over and over, but whenever anyone tries to tinker or flat out change the dynamics of his story it just DOES NOT WORK. Batman has succeeded because there are layers to that character that allow for different interpretations. The origin with his parents death is really the only untouchable part of his story. From there it's fair game. Supes is too one-dimensional. It's latherrinserepeat or folks will simply stay away. Already with the beard...I can see Superman fans recoiling in sheer fanboy fear. Feel bad for anyone who tries to take this on. It was done once and that will forever be the benchmark.

It's not that I can't appreciate what ZS can do. He's great when it comes to visuals. I just don't think he's been able to prove himself when it comes to putting a good story with good acting together. Part of it is that he only does movies based on other source material but even then, I haven't seen any movie of his where I was really emotionally invested. I haven't seen Sucker Punch and from what I hear, I made the right choice. I'm still waiting for him to make something that really blows me away.

As far as Supes goes, you're right on the money as far as him not being an interesting character goes. The one thing that I am holding on to is the fact that the story for this is supposed to go in a direction that we haven't seen on film before and that there will be conflict that will be more than just Lex Luthor using Kryptonite. In fact, I don't even know if Luthor is in this movie. Also, like I said before, the cast is outstanding. I won't even mention the certain name that's attached to this movie as a producer.

jerseydevil
October 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Sucker Punch was a fail, but man it was an impressive fail. I can't say it was great, but I guarantee it was more visually entertaining than a Transformers flick, and those have zero storytelling too. You may want to give it a try knowing that it isn't going to be mistaken for English Lit 101 any time soon. AND it has Scott freakin Glen in it.

As far as Superman...well, it has Zod. I love Michael Shannon, but aren't you setting yourself up for fail by trying not only to supplant peoples ideas of Supes AS WELL AS one of the best comic book movie villains ever? And the plot rumors of Clark Kent going to Africa to escape the Superman thing and finding hisself, well that just sounds like something that could have fit in Singer's flick that everyone hates. It's a real tough thing to balance venturing out of the safe confines of what everyone loves and not simply aping the Reeve movies. And yes, you have Nolan attached...but how much of that is just for clout and WB licking the boot? God when he fails(Nolan, and he will) you Nolanites are going to have your faith in the universe shaken.

Blueline
October 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I will go see this when it comes out.

I will complain about how much it sucks.

I will then buy the Blu-ray disk so it can sit next to the previous Superman movies.

How can they lose?

NastiMarvasti
October 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Sucker Punch was a fail, but man it was an impressive fail. I can't say it was great, but I guarantee it was more visually entertaining than a Transformers flick, and those have zero storytelling too. You may want to give it a try knowing that it isn't going to be mistaken for English Lit 101 any time soon. AND it has Scott freakin Glen in it.

As far as Superman...well, it has Zod. I love Michael Shannon, but aren't you setting yourself up for fail by trying not only to supplant peoples ideas of Supes AS WELL AS one of the best comic book movie villains ever? And the plot rumors of Clark Kent going to Africa to escape the Superman thing and finding hisself, well that just sounds like something that could have fit in Singer's flick that everyone hates. It's a real tough thing to balance venturing out of the safe confines of what everyone loves and not simply aping the Reeve movies. And yes, you have Nolan attached...but how much of that is just for clout and WB licking the boot? God when he fails(Nolan, and he will) you Nolanites are going to have your faith in the universe shaken.

We'll see, as far as me seeing Sucker Punch goes. No promises.

I'll agree that Terence Stamp was amazing as Zod and it'll be tough to top him but then again, most people said the same for Nicholson's Joker. With Supes, I feel the only way to really make him a vulnerable character IS to create internal conflict. Of course you need a great bad guy with superpowers to match him (Zod), but the most interesting parts of Superman 2 (my favorite in the series) were the parts where he became a normal person. In that sense, I think even Singer had the right idea. I just think it was executed horribly.

And excuse me. Nolan failing? Never. :nono:

adgy-san
October 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I disagree with the idea that Superman is a one-note character.

jerseydevil
October 24th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I disagree with the idea that Superman is a one-note character.

In the traditional version Adgy. No way a movie like Red Son gets made. Yes, a lot has been done with Supes in the Elseworlds variety, but moviegoers are not going to buy it and WB ain't gonna sell it. Like the character himself(see The Dark Knight) Superman is inflexible. And one-note may be a little rough. How about narrow?

adgy-san
October 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM
In the traditional version Adgy. No way a movie like Red Son gets made. Yes, a lot has been done with Supes in the Elseworlds variety, but moviegoers are not going to buy it and WB ain't gonna sell it. Like the character himself(see The Dark Knight) Superman is inflexible. And one-note may be a little rough. How about narrow?

I'm still not sure I agree, but I guess that depends on what you mean. At the risk of sucking his dick on this board yet again, I think someone like Grant Morrison has managed in the past to do something completely different and imaginative with the character. And I'm not talking about the reboot.

Certainly, it's a character that has not been given much in the way of flexibility and a lot of the Superman comics from before the reboot are very similar, so I completely and fully understand why anyone would think of him that way. I did as well until I read All Star Superman.

Having said all that, I seriously doubt any Superman move is going to deviate much from the well worn script, as you mentioned. But we'll see.

jerseydevil
November 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Rumor of the Day: Studio seeking writers for Man of Steel sequel | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2011/11/rumor-of-the-day-man-of-s-1.php)

NastiMarvasti
November 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
No more red undies...

New Superman,Man Of Steel Pic Shows Extreme Henry Cavill Superman Close-Up | OnTheFlix (http://ontheflix.com/2011/09/06/new-supermanman-of-steel-pic-shows-extreme-henry-cavill-superman-close-up/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com)

Dr. Naysay
November 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Absurd!

jerseydevil
November 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3acvz5LfI&feature=player_embedded

Noble Savage
November 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Anyone made a giant spider joke yet?

adgy-san
November 21st, 2011, 09:56 PM
‘Superman’ iOS Is The First Man Of Steel Game That Isn’t Awful (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/11/18/superman-ios-game-review/)

The iOS "Superman," which bears an all-caps description on iTunes dubbing it "THE OFFICIAL SUPERMAN GAME," sort of came out of nowhere. The game was mentioned quietly about a month ago, and frankly, when I see the name Superman next to a videogame, I'm inclined to mash down my teeth much like a captured agent with a secret cyanide pill.

Fortunately, this short mobile game really isn't half bad. The basic premise has Superman facing off against Lex Luthor, since someone in Metropolis thought it would be a great idea to let a bald psychopath launch a weather-controlling satellite into orbit above the city. As you may have guessed, Luthor is actually going to be a jerk, sending mechanical spiders, falling space debris, and a whole assortment of other chaotic items into the helpless city.

jerseydevil
November 21st, 2011, 10:31 PM
Anyone made a giant spider joke yet?

?Superman? iOS Is The First Man Of Steel Game That Isn?t Awful

Fortunately, this short mobile game really isn't half bad. The basic premise has Superman facing off against Lex Luthor, since someone in Metropolis thought it would be a great idea to let a bald psychopath launch a weather-controlling satellite into orbit above the city. As you may have guessed, Luthor is actually going to be a jerk, sending mechanical spiders (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/11/18/superman-ios-game-review/)

dear lord...

adgy-san
November 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
lol

Kaos
January 12th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Jor-El

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/10/jor-el-russell-crowe.jpg

jerseydevil
July 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM
MAN OF STEEL Trailer Starring Henry Cavill | Collider (http://collider.com/superman-man-of-steel-trailer/174084/)

I like the look, even though it could be a Red Lobster/Levis ad...

Really cannot believe it's a year off though. Seems like way too much time. I think they finished filming this months ago. Got to look into it, anyone remember offhand if this is being post-converted to 3d?

C-DUB
July 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Did you see the teaser they showed before TDKR Jerseydevil? curious to hear your thoughts.

jerseydevil
July 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Did you see the teaser they showed before TDKR Jerseydevil? curious to hear your thoughts.

Actually haven't seen TDKR yet. May wait at least a week. But I did see the teasers on that link I posted(scroll back a few posts...) I like it. It's hard to tell, but it looks like they may have given my boy Zach Snyder(who I LOVE. Simply Love) some meds. Maybe he was set to focus a bit. It's gonna be a really hard sell. Superman is so much more delicate than Batman. You stray too far(ask Bryan Singer) you alienate the uptight fans. You repeat what Richard Donner remarkably set as the bar...and you are aping. And unlike Batman, who I feel lends himself to SOOOOOOOO many interpretations so much moreso than Supes...the box is SO much smaller. But the cast is special...and a LOT of thought went into it. For the first time I actually want to see a big blue schoolboy movie. Miss the red y-fronts on the costume though.

Dr. Naysay
July 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
I just want a Superman that isn't Jesus. Enough of the voice overs from Jor El talking about how Kal El is being sent to Earth to inspire and save the Earthlings.

ENOUGH!

jerseydevil
July 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM
I just want a Superman that isn't Jesus. Enough of the voice overs from Jor El talking about how Kal El is being sent to Earth to inspire and save the Earthlings.

ENOUGH!

But Doc...Supes is Jesus. That's the problem. He is TOOOOOOOOO omnipotent/too powerful. DC ain't gonna lose that. It is honestly the only diffrentation from the cowled crusader. Makes launching a movie almost impossible. Batman is HUMAN...Supes is a GOD.

jerseydevil
July 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Imagine trying to get folks to buy into that...

C-DUB
July 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
I like the fact that (at least it seems) they are making him a more human charcater who is conflicted with his powers and being different from the rest of us. I agree with Doc about not making him Jesus sent here to save us from destruction, Singers Superman was terrible and I especially hated the scene where he was hovering over the planet like God watching everything that was going on. I Love snyder and as long as somebody is keeping him in check from going overboard (sucker punch) I think this movie is going to be really good.

Dr. Naysay
July 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
But Doc...Supes is Jesus. That's the problem. He is TOOOOOOOOO omnipotent/too powerful. DC ain't gonna lose that. It is honestly the only diffrentation from the cowled crusader. Makes launching a movie almost impossible. Batman is HUMAN...Supes is a GOD.

He's a fictional character. He is whatever the author makes him. Originally he wasn't a nigh omnipotent being sent to lead humanity into a brighter future. He was just a really strong/fast dude who could jump really far.

jerseydevil
July 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
He's a fictional character. He is whatever the author makes him. Originally he wasn't a nigh omnipotent being sent to lead humanity into a brighter future. He was just a really strong/fast dude who could jump really far.

See, that's you making the movie you want to see. Just because you can make Spiderman a gay puerto-rican kid doesn't mean that a mass audience is going to buy it. I never saw Singer's Superman Returns but isn't the major complaint that he took too many liberties with the character? Here it is in a nutshell. Superman is about the most PURE superhero ever. No shades of grey like Batman, Supes is a higher being...yes, much like a god(note the lower case) when compared to the mortals he protects. There isn't much wiggle room on that. So you either get the same rehashed story or something different that doesn't 'feel right' to the casual fan. And those are the asses they want in the seats. Superman wasn't 'nigh omnipotent' originally...really Doc? Bullets bounced off his chest, he could stop a train with his hand...he could fly. Oh yeah and the whole laser eye thing. Sounds pretty damned omnipotent to me.

The only thing that worries me about the trailer is that we are most definitely going to see 'emo' Supes. That's where they make the mistake. If anything Superman should be foreign to relating to human emotions. He is an alien despite being humanoid in appearance. If you have a Superman who cannot really understand/relate to those he for some reason is sworn to protect...well then you might have an angle that people can relate to. They always humanize Supes too much.

Dr. Naysay
July 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
See, that's you making the movie you want to see. Just because you can make Spiderman a gay puerto-rican kid doesn't mean that a mass audience is going to buy it. I never saw Singer's Superman Returns but isn't the major complaint that he took too many liberties with the character?

It wasn't MY major complaint.

Here it is in a nutshell. Superman is about the most PURE superhero ever. No shades of grey like Batman, Supes is a higher being...yes, much like a god(note the lower case) when compared to the mortals he protects. There isn't much wiggle room on that. So you either get the same rehashed story or something different that doesn't 'feel right' to the casual fan. And those are the asses they want in the seats. Superman wasn't 'nigh omnipotent' originally...really Doc? Bullets bounced off his chest, he could stop a train with his hand...he could fly. Oh yeah and the whole laser eye thing. Sounds pretty damned omnipotent to me.

I agree that his appeal is the "purity".... but it's supposed to be the purity of personality. The "and the American Way" part of his character. He's supposed to be a big blue boyscout as it were.... the bullets off his chest, laser eyes, flight etc etc... C'mon... THOR actually IS a God. The Hulk can't even kill himself. The fact that Superman is super powerful and therefore unrelatable is a weak argument. He can be taken down by magic or a glowing green rock or any other macguffin you want to toss his way. What will always make Superman a winner is his "aw shucks" Kansas upbringing and while I realize that statistically it means the actual "character" of Clark Kent was probably raised as a Methodist, Baptist or Catholic that doesn't mean that Jor El is Yaweh and that Kal El is Jesus.

IT JUST DOESN'T!

The only thing that worries me about the trailer is that we are most definitely going to see 'emo' Supes. That's where they make the mistake. If anything Superman should be foreign to relating to human emotions. He is an alien despite being humanoid in appearance. If you have a Superman who cannot really understand/relate to those he for some reason is sworn to protect...well then you might have an angle that people can relate to. They always humanize Supes too much.

*sigh*

Jesus Superman = Emo Superman

Here... this is Superman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwU0QkcrNVQ

adgy-san
July 23rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
I read that the footage they showed at Comic Con had a lot more to it than this teaser did. I guess if the film is still a whole year away, they'd want to hold their cards closer.

Count me as cautiously optimistic.

jerseydevil
July 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
I read that the footage they showed at Comic Con had a lot more to it than this teaser did. I guess if the film is still a whole year away, they'd want to hold their cards closer.

Count me as cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, the reaction was apparently pretty strong. Yeah, the trailer shows nothing except Clark Kent as the Gorton's fisherman. I still hold out hope. This is pretty much the last go-round for Supes if it fails. No way they invest AGAIN in trying to relaunch. That puts a major dent in Justice League plans too.

adgy-san
July 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah, the reaction was apparently pretty strong. Yeah, the trailer shows nothing except Clark Kent as the Gorton's fisherman. I still hold out hope. This is pretty much the last go-round for Supes if it fails. No way they invest AGAIN in trying to relaunch. That puts a major dent in Justice League plans too.

The entire DC/Warner comics-to-film department is going to be in deep doo-doo if this fails. They'll probably try to reboot Batman right afterward just to have something make money again.

jerseydevil
July 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Watch before it's gone: Full-length bootleg Man of Steel trailer | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/07/watch-before-its-gone-act.php)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kf079i7Gq3E#!

jerseydevil
July 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Watch the MAN OF STEEL Trailer with John Williams’ SUPERMAN Theme | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-trailer-john-williams-music/183303/)

jerseydevil
August 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Zack Snyder Talks MAN OF STEEL; Confirms Film Won’t Use John Williams’ Music | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-zack-snyder-john-williams/188640/)

At Comic-Con, the closest Snyder came to saying something of substance about the film was when he explained that they wanted to get away from Superman being “a big blue boy scout” and instead wanted to see him beat the snot out of people. Speaking with Total Film magazine (via The Geek Files and CBM), Snyder elaborate on this point:

“The big challenge is if you can make people feel ‘What would you do if you were Superman?’ That’s what we went out to do as far as we could. Superman’s always been this kind of big blue boy-scout up on a throne that nobody can really touch, so we tried to make him relatable.”

Speaking more about his approach to the character, Snyder said they wanted to start from scratch:

“We decided to act as if no Superman film had been made – even though we love the films that have been made… Superman is a big responsibility but I felt he needed to be reintroduced to a generation and I thought this was a great opportunity.”

Well, that's the trick ain't it?

jerseydevil
September 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
The Man of Steel: A Superman For The 21st Century | Geeks of Doom (http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/09/13/the-man-of-steel-a-superman-for-the-21st-century/)

Nice editorial on what the movie should be like.

jerseydevil
September 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Is There a Secret Villain in MAN OF STEEL? | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-secret-villain/197230/)

jerseydevil
October 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
David S. Goyer Talks Naturalistic Approach to Superman in MAN OF STEEL | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-david-s-goyer/199144/)

jerseydevil
October 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Superman MAN OF STEEL Toy Commercials Confirm Zod Is the Villain | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-superman-toy-commercials/203731/)

Not a ton of spoilers in these ads...EXCEPT

for the appearance of what seems to be a red-suited Superman @ the end of the second. Not sure what that signifies, but it's interesting.

jerseydevil
October 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Disgusted by declining journalistic standards, Clark Kent quits the 'Daily Planet' to start the next Huffington Post
(http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/22/clark-kent-daily-planet-quitting/)

jerseydevil
October 31st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Man Of Steel To Feature Wonder Woman Cameo? | We Got This Covered (http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/man-steel-feature-woman-cameo/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_25889)

jerseydevil
November 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Zack Snyder Confirms New MAN OF STEEL Trailer Attached to THE HOBBIT; Discusses Michael Shannon (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-trailer-the-hobbit/212634/)

jerseydevil
December 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
MAN OF STEEL Poster | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-poster/215474/)

despite the turnaround news last week that changed this from being a standalone flick and now the plans have morphed it into some sort of Marvel type shoehorn for the upcoming Justice League flick, I remain cautiously optimistic. Biggest fear is that it looks like it is going to be some sort of heavy Dark Knight vibe flick. Superman needs some rounding out on the personality scale but I don't want to see a grim joyless version of him either. That's what differentiates him from Batman. You can't have 2 Dark Knights in the Justice League.

Kaos
December 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

jerseydevil
December 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Wow...That makes me wanna like Superman. A first in my lifetime!

orpheus
December 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Superman is and will always be awesome!

Psh! Haters! :nono:

Dexter
December 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I've been waiting forever to see how he became Superman! :sarcasm:

SmytheKing
December 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Wow...That makes me wanna like Superman. A first in my lifetime!

Doesn't it feel angsty though? I agree with what you said about the batman stuff and this mixing. I looooooooooooove the new Batman (as you know), but Superman needs to be a little less emo and more rah rah. I didn't quite get that vibe. Of course, it's only a trailer.

NastiMarvasti
December 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Emotional and angsty aren't always the same though. I got an emotional vibe from this trailer. The fun and games is fine but I'm personally getting tired of the tongue-in-cheek style of the Marvel movies.

jerseydevil
December 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Doesn't it feel angsty though? I agree with what you said about the batman stuff and this mixing. I looooooooooooove the new Batman (as you know), but Superman needs to be a little less emo and more rah rah. I didn't quite get that vibe. Of course, it's only a trailer.

I thought about that...yet the bit I liked is the angst seems to be centered around the 'with great power...' chestnut. And it fits in with what Nolan/Snyder have hinted that this is a godlike being who is not sure of his place. If they were going to tweak any part of the origin...that's the angle. It does seem to have a lot of weight to it, but it's different than Batman. Batman forged himself from the deaths of his parents...and was motivated by revenge. Supes is a fish outta water who's overwhelming impulse is to do good and 'save the world'. It does look a little emo...but I dig the direction. It has a lot of sadness to it. Even the great flying scene seems heavy. Sadness is not the same as Nolan's morose/rage filled Bruce Wayne/Batman. Officially feeling very good about this.

SmytheKing
December 11th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I thought about that...yet the bit I liked is the angst seems to be centered around the 'with great power...' chestnut. And it fits in with what Nolan/Snyder have hinted that this is a godlike being who is not sure of his place. If they were going to tweak any part of the origin...that's the angle. It does seem to have a lot of weight to it, but it's different than Batman. Batman forged himself from the deaths of his parents...and was motivated by revenge. Supes is a fish outta water who's overwhelming impulse is to do good and 'save the world'. It does look a little emo...but I dig the direction. It has a lot of sadness to it. Even the great flying scene seems heavy. Sadness is not the same as Nolan's morose/rage filled Bruce Wayne/Batman. Officially feeling very good about this.

Fair enough. It's not like I'm not going to be there to watch this because of a trailer making him look a little woe is me. Hell, I might be one of the few people who enjoyed Superman Returns and that **** was FILLED with that emotion.

Dr. Naysay
December 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Superman Returns

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/6353_barf.jpg

SmytheKing
December 12th, 2012, 12:17 AM
This "review" of the trailer made me chuckle a little bit.

Russell Crowe holding a doll, Michael Shannon in a ‘Gears of War’ commercial, Zack Snyders super fast then super slow bull****; it’s all here thanks to the release of the the first full trailer for ‘Man of Steel’, which follows the tone set by the Dark Knight trilogy and Megamind and shows us a Superman unsure of his place in the world. Granted it’s a very beautiful world, one with a constant gentle breeze to make your hair and cape look cool.

jerseydevil
December 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM
This "review" of the trailer made me chuckle a little bit.

Probably from a reviewer who came all over their own belly for the Nolan trilogy. So easy to slam Snyder. That makes me even more hopeful for this.

SmytheKing
December 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Probably from a reviewer who came all over their own belly for the Nolan trilogy. So easy to slam Snyder. That makes me even more hopeful for this.

I swear it wasn't me. :P

Having said that, finally got around to watching Suckerpunch. Totally uneven, and I probably would have been irritated spending $20 in a theatre, but on my TV? Had a blast with it.

jerseydevil
December 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Attaboy. Actually you may have liked it in a theater. The sound design was loud as hell and the visuals really were pretty up on a big screen. It's a flawed movie certainly, but not without it's shining moments.

NastiMarvasti
December 12th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Well, I'm one of those people who isn't a fan of any of Snyder's films (haven't seen Sucker Punch and probably won't, honestly) but I still hold out hope for this. Perhaps it's because Nolan is attached, perhaps it's the cast, perhaps it's because Superman is due for a good movie again, or perhaps Snyder himself is due for a good movie. I'm just not convinced that he knows how to tell a story properly. For now I lump him into the same category as McG and Michael Bay. Impress me, Snyder. Impress me.

adgy-san
December 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Well, I'm one of those people who isn't a fan of any of Snyder's films (haven't seen Sucker Punch and probably won't, honestly) but I still hold out hope for this. Perhaps it's because Nolan is attached, perhaps it's the cast, perhaps it's because Superman is due for a good movie again, or perhaps Snyder himself is due for a good movie. I'm just not convinced that he knows how to tell a story properly. For now I lump him into the same category as McG and Michael Bay. Impress me, Snyder. Impress me.

Not even the Dawn Of The Dead remake?

NastiMarvasti
December 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Not even the Dawn Of The Dead remake?

Zombie movies are all the same as far as I'm concerned. Not that it's a bad thing but anybody can make one. Especially if it's a remake.

orpheus
December 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
The Dawn of the Dead remake? :O

Zombies ARE not supposed to run. I was not amused. :nono:

I did like 300 though. :P

jerseydevil
December 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
DC defeats Siegel and Shuster estates over that Superman lawsuit | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/12/dc-defeats-siegel-and-shu.php)

jerseydevil
December 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Nolan gets cagey about Man of Steel/Justice League crossover rumors | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/12/nolan-gets-cagey-on-man-o.php)

NastiMarvasti
December 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I hope we get Bruce Wayne in whatever Justice League movie we get. The Dark Knight trilogy should be left alone.

jerseydevil
December 14th, 2012, 09:48 AM
By left alone do you mean ignored entirely? If so, thumbs up!

NastiMarvasti
December 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
By left alone do you mean ignored entirely? If so, thumbs up!

Haha, you know what I mean, you clever one you.

jerseydevil
January 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Russell Crowe Comments on MAN OF STEEL | Collider (http://collider.com/russell-crowe-man-of-steel/224823/)

jerseydevil
January 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
ugh

Rumor: Is ‘Man of Steel’s Jimmy Olsen a Woman? | /Film (http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-is-man-of-steels-jimmy-olsen-a-woman/)

darby
January 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
ugh

Rumor: Is ‘Man of Steel’s Jimmy Olsen a Woman? | /Film (http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-is-man-of-steels-jimmy-olsen-a-woman/)

So the article says it's cool that Jimmy may now be Jenny because there aren't enough women in comic movies.

But if anything, wouldn't it only play into the usual female typecast in comic movies? Because to my mind, Jimmy Olsen is generally a clueless kid who gets into trouble and needs some sort of saving.

adgy-san
January 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
The Death Of Tim Burton And Nicolas Cage's Superman Lives - Documentary Project Now On Kickstarter - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/25/the-death-of-tim-burton-and-nicolas-cages-superman-lives-documentary-project-now-on-kickstarter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool +Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

John Schnepp is a director on Adult Swim’s Metalocalypse and Venture Bros., provided the W is for WTF segment for ABCs of Death and worked with Upright Citizens Brigade in making their TV pilot. I don’t suppose there’s anything that could seem out of place in such a varied resume, but his next project – Kickstarter willing – is certainly newsworthy.

Here’s Schnepp pitching a documentary on Superman Lives, the Tim Burton-directed, Kevin Smith co-scripted, Nicolas Cage-starring Superman movie that never quite was.

jerseydevil
February 27th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Early Screening Buzz for MAN OF STEEL Highly Positive | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-early-screening-reactions/)

The folks over at JoBlo have a source that sent them some bullet point reactions from the early screenings at WB:

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
- It’s the best movie of the year.
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

To say it’s premature to call Man of Steel “the best film of the year” is a massive understatement, but it’s clear that the screening went over well. Fans worried that we’re in for another romantic drama a la Superman Returns should be pleased, and I’m all for WB keeping the action-y bits under the hood until the film hits theaters; audiences are going to turn out for this movie no matter what, and I’d really enjoy not having half the film released online by way of trailers, TV spots, clips, etc. months before it even opens. It’s also reassuring to hear that there’s some fun to be had despite the super serious nature of the trailers.

I imagine we’ll start to see much more from the film in the next few months as the release date looms closer, but for fans waiting with bated breath to see if Snyder pulls this thing off, hopefully these early screening reactions serve as a tiny bit of reassurance. Man of Steel opens in 3D on June 14th.

cool.

LetTigerIn
February 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Early Screening Buzz for MAN OF STEEL Highly Positive | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-early-screening-reactions/)

cool.

Excited to hear of the positive response, and, somehow, even more excited to see an Internet scribe properly spell "bated breath."

mitchrock
February 27th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I only want to see this to drool over Amy Adams.

jerseydevil
February 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I only want to see this to drool over Amy Adams.

Never been a big fan, but she looked real purty at the Oscars the other night. May have to pay attention.

Fisch
February 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM
i get irritated with the constant reboots...

jerseydevil
March 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
MAN OF STEEL Magazine Cover Image Featuring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-magazine-cover-image/)

just me or is Amy Adams getting cuter?

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2013, 01:26 PM
MAN OF STEEL Magazine Cover Image Featuring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-magazine-cover-image/)

Personally, I've always had a crush on her.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2013, 01:32 PM

she was amazing in Leap Year

Dr. Naysay
March 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I've been madly in love with her since I saw her in Cruel Intentions 2.

And those girls from the shower scene.

Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM

I didn't, but I soon will, thankyouverymuch.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2013, 02:45 PM

damn those kissing cousins and their ring toss...

adgy-san
March 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Ok, guess I'll add that to my list of movies I need to watch...

Dr. Naysay
March 11th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Ever since I saw that I can't say luffa normally....

jerseydevil
March 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
MAN OF STEEL Exclusive Casting Spoiler - Do Not Read If You Do Not Want To Know - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news. (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61713)

Spoiler, but it's been pretty hevily discussed the past week or so.

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bMPlzxQMWb4

jerseydevil
April 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull Says MAN OF STEEL Is “the Superman Movie I’ve Always Wanted to See” (http://collider.com/thomas-tull-man-of-steel-superman-review/)

seriously...this better not all be lip service. I swear that Evil Dead is the last ****ing time I get burned. From now on call me Missouri, cause you gotta 'show me'.

jerseydevil
April 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
MAN OF STEEL EW Cover; New Plot Details Revealed | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-ew-cover-zack-snyder-kryptonite/)

darby
April 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I increasingly find that I have very little interest in seeing this movie.

jerseydevil
April 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I increasingly find that I have very little interest in seeing this movie.

I get that...the once burned, twice shy thing. But the chatter has been fairly encouraging. Do you, like me, not like the character? Or is it something else? I am willing to see this and hope for the best a)because I think Zac Snyder deserves better than he gets, and b)despite my dislike of Superman...I want this movie to succeed for superhero flicks and so that DC doesn't only have Batman to prop up. Not getting the lack of interest. Would you be MORE interested if the advanced word was negative?

darby
April 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think I'm maybe just tired of this movie. For years it's been who's gonna make it? When's it coming? Blah blah blah. We saw our first designs it feels like 2 years ago.

And all this hype and there's just never much story to it. The character is an invincible boyscout.

It's all just... meh.

Dr. Naysay
April 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
The character is an invincible boyscout.

The only thing more stale than most Superman stories is this cop out of an argument.

darby
April 13th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Okay. But I don't care enough to find out more or make a more convincing one.

jerseydevil
April 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MbD88cG5DS8

orpheus
April 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Not liking the Superman character is just wrong. http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/shakeshead.gif

jerseydevil
April 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Oh, I don't know about that Orph. After all, Dc is to blame in a fashion. They have set up an almost playground like 'well, you can't like Superman, if you like Batman' vibe...culminating in the showdown in The Dark Knight(Miller's comic) which really lays bare the differences in the two characters. For me, Supes has always been alien unattainable and far too positive. Batman appeals more to the grimy nature of my soiled soul. I still want to see the new flick, but I have to side with Darby in the fact that I have never really been a fan of big blue.

NastiMarvasti
April 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Oh, I don't know about that Orph. After all, Dc is to blame in a fashion. They have set up an almost playground like 'well, you can't like Superman, if you like Batman' vibe...culminating in the showdown in The Dark Knight(Miller's comic) which really lays bare the differences in the two characters. For me, Supes has always been alien unattainable and far too positive. Batman appeals more to the grimy nature of my soiled soul. I still want to see the new flick, but I have to side with Darby in the fact that I have never really been a fan of big blue.

Pretty much although I have to say my first exposure to comics was the Christopher Reeve Superman series and I loved those growing up. I still think Superman II is the best one even with the botched portions that Donner couldn't finish. Loved the villains.

jerseydevil
April 16th, 2013, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T6DJcgm3wNY

orpheus
April 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM
That trailer got me riled up!

Phooey on you haters! :P

chaingunsofdoom
April 17th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Looks awesome. Should be a good summer this year.

BigBrown
April 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I don't really care for Superman but the trailer looked good. Nice special effects and cast is solid.

jerseydevil
April 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM
MAN OF STEEL LexCorp Tower. Lex Luthor’s Tower Is in Superman Reboot, MAN OF STEEL | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-superman-lexcorp-image/)

ucsdguy1
April 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I miss teri hatcher

jerseydevil
April 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM
somewhere...Dean Cain sheds a tear and holds himself a little tighter.

NastiMarvasti
April 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Not to sound gay (not that there's anything wrong with it) but I love how manly and good looking HC is as Supes. Still can't believe he's the same wimpy boy from The Count of Monte Cristo.

roenick
April 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T6DJcgm3wNY
I am not a supes fan either (sorry my favorites were bats, Spidey, Conan and Master of Kung Fu) but I have to say that looks incredibly cool!

jerseydevil
April 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Master of Kung Fu...awww man that was sweet. And Conan too...nice pedigree there brother.

Ranma
April 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
The latest trailer is majestically epic and has me looking forward to the movie when I was skeptical before. I'll always be partial to the John Williams score but Hans Zimmer's soundtrack sounds like a winner. Anyone interested in hearing or downloading the music without practically all of the sound effects can do so here:

SoundCloud: Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel Trailer 3 Music - "An Ideal of Hope" (v3) (https://soundcloud.com/antovolk/hans-zimmer-man-of-steel)

roenick
April 20th, 2013, 11:49 AM
The latest trailer is majestically epic and has me looking forward to the movie when I was skeptical before. I'll always be partial to the John Williams score but Hans Zimmer's soundtrack sounds like a winner. Anyone interested in hearing or downloading the music without practically all of the sound effects can do so here:

SoundCloud: Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel Trailer 3 Music - "An Ideal of Hope" (v3) (https://soundcloud.com/antovolk/hans-zimmer-man-of-steel)

Totally agree with this. I was meh on this movie before this last trailer. Now I want to totally see it in no small effort from the music. I missed seeing Batman Begins in the theater and don't want to do it again if the movie is as good about Supes. Thanks for the link.

FBJ
April 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Not a fan of Supes, either...but damned if this movie doesn't look badass. I'll be seeing it m

jerseydevil
April 24th, 2013, 01:23 PM
MAN OF STEEL Director Zack Snyder Could Helm JUSTICE LEAGUE | Collider (http://collider.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-man-of-steel/)

real good interview snippets. ZS seems to have a good head in regards to the fanboy backlash. Yeah, I like the guy...and I am rooting for him.

jerseydevil
April 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
New Photographic Evidence of Martian Manhunter? - CraveOnline (http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/491869-new-photographic-evidence-of-martian-manhunter)

adgy-san
May 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Greg Rucka: A PG 'Man of Steel,' Please (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/greg-rucka-a-pg-man-448386)

jerseydevil
May 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy__QkdOAiw&feature=player_embedded

Dr. Naysay
May 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Oh good.... MORE Superman = Jesus symbolism.

Barf.

jerseydevil
May 3rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Oh good.... MORE Superman = Jesus symbolism.

Barf.

Funny...I didn't see that when I watched. Now that you point it out...can't distance myself enough to know whether you are overreacting or I just missed it. But he is a godlike power Doc. All the stuff I have read basically said they went into this with the purpose of taking him down a peg or two in order to make him more human...and relatable. I doubt they are going to sink their own ship in that regard and paint him in the stations of the cross. But who knows.

Dr. Naysay
May 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Funny...I didn't see that when I watched. Now that you point it out...can't distance myself enough to know whether you are overreacting or I just missed it. But he is a godlike power Doc. All the stuff I have read basically said they went into this with the purpose of taking him down a peg or two in order to make him more human...and relatable. I doubt they are going to sink their own ship in that regard and paint him in the stations of the cross. But who knows.

It was only for a nanosecond but he strikes the crucifixion pose right when Jor El is talking about giving Earthlings an example to aspire to.

EDIT : 24 second mark

jerseydevil
May 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM
It was only for a nanosecond but he strikes the crucifixion pose right when Jor El is talking about giving Earthlings an example to aspire to.

EDIT : 24 second mark

No, I knew what scene you were referring to, I just didn't really see or register the Christ thing. Like I said, not sure if it's my under or your over reaction. I think we need to see the finished product before we judge whether they went hard on the symbolism.

Dr. Naysay
May 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM
No, I knew what scene you were referring to, I just didn't really see or register the Christ thing. Like I said, not sure if it's my under or your over reaction. I think we need to see the finished product before we judge whether they went hard on the symbolism.

It's both. That's how symbolism generally works. It doesn't necessarily have to hit you over the head but if you're looking for it because you already hate it you'll probably see it.

I think a huge part of why people "hate" Superman isn't a flaw in the character it's a flaw in how he's portrayed.

This is part of that flaw, in my not so humble opinion.

jerseydevil
May 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I saw the trailer again today...and the overal feeling I get is the 'otherness' that Superman might feel. Sure there is that whole 'men will aspire to...' thread, but there is a really nice aw shucks reluctance that they are playing up and I think that's where the key is. I know you think the Flash is a tough character to translate, but Superman is, imo, even trickier. SOOOOOOOO colored by Donner's perfect storm that really captured the cartoonier aspects of Big Blue and, nevermind the comics, a movie faces a HUGE uphill battle to rise above that. Go too dark...fail, try to match that tone...fail. And the seat is hotter because of the EPIC failure of Singer's attempt to straddle the fence. This version fails and it derails the entire DC movie universe.

jerseydevil
May 8th, 2013, 11:45 AM
MAN OF STEEL to Screen Early at the Los Angeles Film Festival; MONSTERS UNIVERSITY Added to Lineup | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-los-angeles-film-festival/)

roenick
May 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I saw the trailer again today...and the overal feeling I get is the 'otherness' that Superman might feel. Sure there is that whole 'men will aspire to...' thread, but there is a really nice aw shucks reluctance that they are playing up and I think that's where the key is. I know you think the Flash is a tough character to translate, but Superman is, imo, even trickier. SOOOOOOOO colored by Donner's perfect storm that really captured the cartoonier aspects of Big Blue and, nevermind the comics, a movie faces a HUGE uphill battle to rise above that. Go too dark...fail, try to match that tone...fail. And the seat is hotter because of the EPIC failure of Singer's attempt to straddle the fence. This version fails and it derails the entire DC movie universe.

I really don't see this one failing (although very possible) since they turned the overall project to the Batman master. DC, for all their other failings, knows they can't fumble this one as Marvel is cleaning up right now and another failure will lead to even more dollars into Marvel/Disney's back pockets.

I don't know what the problem was with the last iteration of Supes actually. I liked it but I am thinking I will like this one more. They have the right stars as the back-up actors/actresses and they are stepping out on the ledge of him being an alien sent to both escape to and be Earth's hero. Should be interesting how this all plays out. I will say this much - they listened to the fans and critics of the previous trailers and provided some "heroic" stuff in the last trailer. Like I said before I never really read his comics but I always thought Superman was the "best of the best" as a super hero and he should be treated as such cinematically. It is probably also the reason I was never a big fan of the comic either - I like my hero's flawed in some way ala Spidey and Conan.

I am hopefully optimistic on this movie though.

NastiMarvasti
May 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I don't know what the problem was with the last iteration of Supes actually.

Where to start:

Making it a sequel rather than a new series.

Lex Luthor is the villain...again.

Lex's evil plot is exactly the same as the one in the original.

Supes and Lois look like they should be in high school. Not 5 years older than the characters in part 2.

Supes' face is all weird when he's Supes.

Baby Supes/love triangle.

Boring action.

Jesus Supes.

I only saw the movie once but I know there were other problems I'm forgetting.

Dr. Naysay
May 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't know what the problem was with the last iteration of Supes actually.

It was terrible.

roenick
May 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
It was terrible.
Understand - since I wasn't a big fan I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I did like the effect where the bullet hit his eye though. LOL.

jerseydevil
May 8th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I feel bad for Brandon Routh. So far the Superman curse is still a killer if you count his career. I blame Bryan Singer and think he gets off way too lightly. Singer is still coasting on the fumes of the heat of Usual Suspects. Nothing he has done since has equalled the promise he showed with that debut. Then again, he had a spot on cast of professionals and a great screenplay to work with, so how much of that was his to own?

NastiMarvasti
May 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I feel bad for Brandon Routh. So far the Superman curse is still a killer if you count his career. I blame Bryan Singer and think he gets off way too lightly. Singer is still coasting on the fumes of the heat of Usual Suspects. Nothing he has done since has equalled the promise he showed with that debut. Then again, he had a spot on cast of professionals and a great screenplay to work with, so how much of that was his to own?

Though not necessarily on the level of The Usual Suspects, X2 was one of the best comic book movies of the last decade.

jerseydevil
May 8th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Though not necessarily on the level of The Usual Suspects, X2 was one of the best comic book movies of the last decade.

umm...was it the best X-flick so far...well no, the Fassbender one was. But one of the best of the last decade...ooof, if you are looking at spots 9 or 10 maybe. Like Hellraiser, they still haven't made the definitive X-movie. Geez, all you have to do is read Claremont's almost ridiculously good work during the Hellfire Club period to see just how good the X-men can be. Jayzus...Storm=Halle Berry...fail. James Marsden=Cyclops...fail. Angela Basset should have been Storm, and someone like...Matt Damon, would have made a great Cyclops. Too many shortcuts. They got more interested in cameos by beloved characters they had NO IDEA how to handle. HOW do you **** up Nightcrawler so much??? What a waste. I grew up during the X-men heyday as far as the comics. I remember the long walk to Panorama City's PAPERBACK SHACK on comics day...and they were late with the monthlies more often than not...but when that comic hit the stands...I RAN HOME. None of the X movies has given me that same charge.

NastiMarvasti
May 9th, 2013, 12:00 AM
umm...was it the best X-flick so far...well no, the Fassbender one was. But one of the best of the last decade...ooof, if you are looking at spots 9 or 10 maybe. Like Hellraiser, they still haven't made the definitive X-movie. Geez, all you have to do is read Claremont's almost ridiculously good work during the Hellfire Club period to see just how good the X-men can be. Jayzus...Storm=Halle Berry...fail. James Marsden=Cyclops...fail. Angela Basset should have been Storm, and someone like...Matt Damon, would have made a great Cyclops. Too many shortcuts. They got more interested in cameos by beloved characters they had NO IDEA how to handle. HOW do you **** up Nightcrawler so much??? What a waste. I grew up during the X-men heyday as far as the comics. I remember the long walk to Panorama City's PAPERBACK SHACK on comics day...and they were late with the monthlies more often than not...but when that comic hit the stands...I RAN HOME. None of the X movies has given me that same charge.

I know very little about the comics. I'm just talking from a movie standpoint. X2 was a lot of fun to watch and 10 times better than all the Marvel movies that get so much love these days. Good action, good story, great villain, etc. It also gave me that emotional investment and a sense of, "uh oh, the good guys might not win this time" which these types of movies rarely do. First Class was great too but I'd give the slight edge to X2.

jerseydevil
May 10th, 2013, 10:03 PM
WB Releases New MAN OF STEEL Poster on Twitter | Collider (http://collider.com/new-man-of-steel-poster-superman/)

Man. There is a TON riding on this. It will make money. The curiosity is too high and the marketing has been very good. But the word of mouth has to be strong otherwise this will go down as a fail no matter how much it makes. Probably the most interesting summer movie in terms of the backstory. My boy Snyder could survive, even if its a disaster, but if this thing succeeds...he gets catapulted into a whole new stratosphere. Just a really interesting situation.

jom
May 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Understand - since I wasn't a big fan I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I did like the effect where the bullet hit his eye though. LOL.

I'm gonna have to agree with you. I still think it was an OK movie...in fact, I thought the cinematography was terrific. It might have been "bad' to some but it was every bit as "good" as 90% of these crappy comic-book based movies out there.

jom

Cross Traffic
May 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Where to start:

Making it a sequel rather than a new series.

Lex Luthor is the villain...again.

Lex's evil plot is exactly the same as the one in the original.

Supes and Lois look like they should be in high school. Not 5 years older than the characters in part 2.

Supes' face is all weird when he's Supes.

Baby Supes/love triangle.

Boring action.

Jesus Supes.

I only saw the movie once but I know there were other problems I'm forgetting.

Lifting a plane and lowering it into Metropolis errrrr Dodger Stadium. (The CGI in that scene was sooooooooo bad.)

Kate Bosworth as the worst Lois and Mom ever.

You can get "exclusive" screening tickets at Walmart next Saturday so you can see it a whopping 5 hours before everyone else.

spjon25
May 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Man of Steel looks to be very good from what I have seen. I hope that this is a home run for them and could lead to a strong Justice LEague movie. Chris Nolan's TDK trilogy was great for me and well acted. The only thing I do not like from the rumors I have read is what was posted here...

The Man of Steel rumor that would change Superman for the worse (http://io9.com/the-man-of-steel-rumor-that-would-change-superman-for-t-487577190)

jerseydevil
May 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Russel Crowe tweeted something basically shooting down that rumor the other day. Will try to find and post...

jerseydevil
May 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Here ya go...

Phew! Russell Crowe quashes that disturbing Man of Steel rumor | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-6/phew-russell-crowe-quashes-disturbing-man-steel-rumor)

spjon25
May 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for posting this!! That is good to hear

Dr. Naysay
May 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM
They took away his red outer undies.

How much worse can it get?

jerseydevil
May 12th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Saw an editorial where they re-added the undies, blue'd up the suit and added the swirliecue...it looked better. More like what we all know. And it made me aware of just how bland the overall look is. I think if all the drama behind the lawsuit with the creators hadn't been going on it might not have happened...nothing to be done about it now.

Dr. Naysay
May 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Taking away the red undies, in my opinion, was the perfect example of *******s overthinking things.

Supermans entire outfit is ****ING PREPOSTEROUS. He's wearing a blue body suit and a ****ING CAPE.

Who cares if he wears his undies on the outside.

PUT EM BACK!

DMAN3474
May 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM
He's wearing a blue body suit and a ****ING CAPE.

No Capes!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY

Sorry that made me think of this

NastiMarvasti
May 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Taking away the red undies, in my opinion, was the perfect example of *******s overthinking things.

Supermans entire outfit is ****ING PREPOSTEROUS. He's wearing a blue body suit and a ****ING CAPE.

Who cares if he wears his undies on the outside.

PUT EM BACK!

You sure sound like you have a lot invested in the man's undies.

Would you prefer Batman in tights again rather than body armor?

jerseydevil
May 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Personally I would prefer the Burton era(includes Schumaker up till the nipples) Batman suit. I am NOT a fan of the paramilitary Batman. They go for hyper realism but still give him a cape. Just another example of the 'have my cake and eat it too' Nolan era.

Dr. Naysay
May 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM
You sure sound like you have a lot invested in the man's undies.

Would you prefer Batman in tights again rather than body armor?

Aw I don't care.

jerseydevil
May 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM
New MAN OF STEEL TV Spot Reveals Awesome New Footage | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-tv-spot-henry-cavill/)

After watching the latest Man of Steel TV spot, all I can do is agree with one of the comments posted on the official Facebook page where they said, “shut up and take my money.” While Warner Bros. has spent a substantial amount of money making Zack Snyder‘s Superman and they need to sell it to casual moviegoers, I’m at the point where I wish I could avoid the rest of their marketing plan and just see the finished product. However, I understand why we’re about to get slammed with new images, posters, clips and TV spots. The studio has to open this film and the only way to sell it is to show off the goods. And this new TV spot does just that.

DMAN3474
May 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I am sorry, but I have to continue on NO CAPES

http://i.imgur.com/j8Z6L.gif

http://i.imgur.com/B0PR8Gy.jpg

I am done now

Dave
May 13th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I am sorry, but I have to continue on NO CAPES

http://i.imgur.com/j8Z6L.gif

http://i.imgur.com/B0PR8Gy.jpg

I am done now

Epic fail! Edna Mode rules!

SmytheKing
May 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I just want to say that I'm going to see this movie a lot. You're welcome for this contribution.

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Kiss' new stage show to feature giant robotic spider | News | Classic Rock (http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/new-kiss-stage-show-to-feature-giant-robotic-spider/)

So that's where that giant mechanical spider went...

If you are too young to remember, there was constant mention of (I think) producer Jon Peters trying to shoehorn a GMS into any iteration of a relaunch of Superman, including Kevin Smith's attempt. The spider eventually went all steampunk-y and wound up in Wild Wild West.

Dr. Naysay
May 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Kiss' new stage show to feature giant robotic spider | News | Classic Rock (http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/new-kiss-stage-show-to-feature-giant-robotic-spider/)

So that's where that giant mechanical spider went...

If you are too young to remember, there was constant mention of (I think) producer Jon Peters trying to shoehorn a GMS into any iteration of a relaunch of Superman, including Kevin Smith's attempt. The spider eventually went all steampunk-y and wound up in Wild Wild West.

That story is a perfect example of how the net is beginning to drain all the fun out of being a geek.

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
That story is a perfect example of how the net is beginning to drain all the fun out of being a geek.

Yeah...if you don't like faded rock institutions, 90's cocaine fueled excess and, oh yeah...

GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDERS!!!!!!!

SmytheKing
May 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah...if you don't like faded rock institutions, 90's cocaine fueled excess and, oh yeah...

GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDERS!!!!!!!

I just read that and I heard H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

http://www.awn.com/files/imagepicker/5086/Archer.jpg

jerseydevil
May 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM
MAN OF STEEL Poster Featuring Russell Crowe as Jor-El; Plus a New MAN OF STEEL Featurette | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-poster-russell-crowe-featurette/)

NastiMarvasti
May 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Personally I would prefer the Burton era(includes Schumaker up till the nipples) Batman suit. I am NOT a fan of the paramilitary Batman. They go for hyper realism but still give him a cape. Just another example of the 'have my cake and eat it too' Nolan era.

The suit in Batman Begins is pretty much the same as the Burton era one and the second suit is a response to everyone complaining about why Batman can't move his head among other body parts. And I thought the idea surrounding the cape was the best one in any superhero movie. It's not like the explanations for the suit and cape were inconsistent with one another.

jerseydevil
May 21st, 2013, 11:44 AM
apologist.

NastiMarvasti
May 22nd, 2013, 01:21 AM
Pooh pooh face.

jerseydevil
May 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/pooh_zps27ea1ab0.gif (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/pooh_zps27ea1ab0.gif.html)

jerseydevil
May 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NlOF03DUoWc

jerseydevil
May 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer Talk MAN OF STEEL | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-superman-christopher-nolan-zack-snyder/)

Interesting stuff.

NastiMarvasti
May 22nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/pooh_zps27ea1ab0.gif (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/pooh_zps27ea1ab0.gif.html)

This is what happens when you type your comeback at 1:30 in the morning. You win again, sir.

roenick
May 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NlOF03DUoWc

Wow ... very interesting ...

jerseydevil
May 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YVCJIEjQd6g

jom
May 24th, 2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YVCJIEjQd6g

OK...since when is Carl's Jr Hardees?

jom

Dr. Naysay
May 24th, 2013, 08:40 PM

jom

When its east of the rockies.

Ranma
May 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Look away if you don't want to see any more previously-unseen footage...but since we've already seen so much, what's a little more? :chesh:

http://youtu.be/FXOqXVSRZrQ

http://youtu.be/frFH-3532jo

jerseydevil
May 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cZP5EN9Semc

jom
May 27th, 2013, 07:07 PM
When its east of the rockies.

I said WHEN not WHERE. Geez, why is it so hard to get a straight answer about a fast food joint in a thread about Superman? I just can't understand it....

jom

KingInTheWest
May 27th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I said WHEN not WHERE. Geez, why is it so hard to get a straight answer about a fast food joint in a thread about Superman? I just can't understand it....

jom

Many years ago, probably around a decade. As far as I can recall, Carl's bought Hardees and kept their name, while putting the Carl's products on their menu. Hardees is generally known for offering food that makes Carl's look like Souplantation.

jom
May 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Many years ago, probably around a decade. As far as I can recall, Carl's bought Hardees and kept their name, while putting the Carl's products on their menu. Hardees is generally known for offering food that makes Carl's look like Souplantation.

Actually, my quote above I was just joking....but since you mentioned it. I'm not sure about your reference though...is Souplantation a good thing? Sorry, I really no nothing about Hardees. I just know Carl's was for a long time just a California company....Karcher started it here...

jom

adgy-san
May 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Zack Snyder And Bruce Timm Making New Superman Short Film To Mark His 75th Anniversary - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/30/zack-snyder-and-bruce-timm-making-new-superman-short-film-to-mark-his-75th-anniversary/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool +Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29)

Zack Snyder has apparently conceived a new, animated short that will, in a single unbroken shot, pay homage to Superman’s evolution over the least three quarters of a century.

We’ll apparently see the short pay homage to:

Max Fleischer’s cartoons, on-screen portrayals by George Reeve and Christopher Reeves, iconic versions drawn by artists Wayne Boring, Curt Swan and Neal Adams, on up through Henry Cavill’s interpretation in Man of Steel.

jerseydevil
May 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Charles Roven Talks MAN OF STEEL, Christopher Nolan’s Involvement, SUPERMAN RETURNS, and More | Collider (http://collider.com/charles-roven-man-of-steel-interview/)
David S. Goyer Talks MAN OF STEEL, Crafting New Takes on Superman, Zod, and Krypton, and More | Collider (http://collider.com/david-s-goyer-man-of-steel-interview/)
Zack Snyder Talks MAN OF STEEL, 3D, Creating the Suit, Character Changes, and More | Collider (http://collider.com/zack-snyder-man-of-steel-interview/)
Henry Cavill Talks MAN OF STEEL, the Superman Curse, His Preparation for the Role, and More | Collider (http://collider.com/henry-cavill-man-of-steel-interview/)
60 Things to Know About MAN OF STEEL From Our Set Visit; Plus a Recap of What We Saw Being Filmed | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-set-visit/)

Dr. Naysay
May 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM
is Souplantation a good thing?

No. It most certainly is not.

Its....

A GREAT THING!!!

jerseydevil
June 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
MAN OF STEEL Easter Egg Revealed; Has Possible Repercussions for MAN OF STEEL 2 | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-easter-eggs-wayne-enterprises/)

sooooooo tempted to read this. But not gonna.

jerseydevil
June 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM
JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie News from Zack Snyder; Says He Would do a MAN OF STEEL Sequel First | Collider (http://collider.com/justice-league-movie-news-zack-snyder/)

Ranma
June 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM
VIDEO: Man of Steel Publicity Special (http://cms.springboard.gorillanation.com/previews/71/video/733671/0/0/1)

KingInTheWest
June 2nd, 2013, 11:11 PM
Actually, my quote above I was just joking....but since you mentioned it. I'm not sure about your reference though...is Souplantation a good thing? Sorry, I really no nothing about Hardees. I just know Carl's was for a long time just a California company....Karcher started it here...

jom

Souplantation generally lacks meat and probably makes it difficult to eat too many calories.

Dr. Naysay
June 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
Souplantation generally lacks meat and probably makes it difficult to eat too many calories.

You can eat SO MANY CALORIES at Soup Plantation!!!!!!

All you can eat muffins, cornbread, soup, foccacia bread, soft serve ice cream.....

You could get diabetes in one visit.

Kaos
June 5th, 2013, 02:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy48zOtzn78

Ranma
June 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYatpwrs8s

VIDEO: Superman vs. Zod in Smallville (http://cms.springboard.gorillanation.com/previews/71/video/736961/0/0/1)

Dr. Naysay
June 6th, 2013, 11:38 PM
While I'm still thrilled to see this movie...

I can't help but think they heard the complaints that Superman didn't punch anybody/thing in Superman Returns so they've now taken the approach of "Superman punches EVERYTHING!!!!"

jerseydevil
June 9th, 2013, 01:09 PM
http://images.halloweencostumes.com/infographics/superman-infographic-FULL.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/superman-infographic-FULL_zpscc2e186b.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/superman-infographic-FULL_zpscc2e186b.jpg.html)

click the link and you can embiggen it.

job
June 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM

jom

Roy Rogers used to be good until they were bought by Hardees. Hardees used to be great until they were bought by Carls about 15 years ago.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM
MAN OF STEEL Review. Zack Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL Stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, and Michael Shannon | Collider (http://collider.com/man-of-steel-review/)

So much care and devotion has been brought to create the world of Superman, and Superman isn’t there. It’s a big, expensive party, and the guest of honor hasn’t shown up. Snyder’s take hasn’t corrupted or disrespected the character. This isn’t a careless adaptation as much as it’s a misguided one. Superman isn’t easy. Snyder and screenwriter David S. Goyer try to find the hero in his fathers, in a character caught between two worlds, in a “realistic” take about an alien hiding amongst humans, and as long as Superman isn’t on screen, they’ve succeeded on an emotional level. Trying to find depth outside of the hero is important, but Superman is supposed to be the realization of all the hard work that’s gone into his past. He’s supposed to be the product of hopes, fears, triumphs, and downfalls, but it only adds up to someone who can leap tall buildings in a single bound. When Lois asks Kal-El what the “S” emblem stands for, he responds that it’s not an “S”. He says on Krypton, it means “hope”. But in Man of Steel, it’s a symbol without a Superman.

Rating: B-

Pretty conflicted review. Guy seems to love the movie but can't get over how Superman, as an adult, never connects emotionally.

SmytheKing
June 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Another one saying SOMETHING similar, but seems to miss the mark and wants to link this to Nolan. So, grain of salt.

Review: 'Man Of Steel' Fails To Take Flight - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/06/11/review-man-of-steel-never-takes-flight/)

After seeing Man Of Steel, I’m still not entirely sure what Chris Nolan’s “big idea” for Superman was. The film is less a mythic story and more a propulsive study in consistent movement, in a way that will remind people of J.J. Abrams’s Star Trek films. But while those often weakly-scripted action pictures are saved by the chemistry of their cast and a periodic sense of adventure, no such miracles occur here. The film lacks the very things we expect from a Superman film, especially one telling his mythic origin. There is no joy, no sense of discovery, no sense of wonder or hope. The film is so plot-heavy that is lacks basic character interaction, leaving only big-scale spectacle which can only be enjoyed if one turns off their moral compass.

On the flip side, it's trending decently on RT right now with a 75% and 40 reviews. Maybe temper expectations going in and you'll get better than you thought you would.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Man of Steel Movie Review | Movie Reviews and News | Summer Movies - Calendar, Trailers, Movie Photos, Movie Clips, Movie Guide | EW.com (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20687777,00.html)

Reading a lot of the same thing...too much plot(really? really?) and not enough 'gee whiz'. That was kind of the point isn't it? All these reviewers are lamenting the lack of Big Blue Schoolboy without acknowledging that going that route would have pretty much doomed this incarnation. Nobody wants to see that...well, most don't. Go ahead and watch the Reeve Superman flicks. SCHMALTZ. Really cornball. In this day of 'grounded' superheroes kids would reject that entirely. I'm sorry. I want Superman to have a little emotional pathos. Not talking brooding Bale, just odd...outcast...alien. Nothing I am reading is convincing me that this isn't the right Superman at the right time. Looking forward to it.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Review: Man of Steel - CraveOnline (http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/516491-review-man-of-steel-2)

The details of Man of Steel sometimes falter – why, exactly, General Zod needs Lois Lane on his warship is incidental, and various other contrivances are just that, contrivances – but they are in service of keeping a thoughtful, meaningful story very lively. Superman goes on a journey in Man of Steel that has a greater resonance than in any other Superman film, but it entertains. Snyder & Co. keep the action rollicking, the explosions enormous and globe thoroughly trotted. As an adventure in a classical sense, Man of Steel leaves one feeling like they have traveled somewhere and accomplished something themselves. It’s a thick volume of a movie, easily perused in one sitting, and yet requiring much longer than that to properly absorb. And as a sheer spectacle, it may be one of the great blockbusters.

Awe-inspiring and, by far, the best Superman movie ever made, Man of Steel may not present a new standard for epic filmmaking. But it certainly evokes a grandeur rarely attempted on the big screen anymore, and achieves on a level greater than most other cinematic epics. It’s the Superman we wanted, the Superman we need, and – thankfully – the Superman we actually got this time.

Up, up, and away…

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Review: Zack Snyders Man Of Steel delivers a whole new level of superhero thrills (http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-zack-snyders-man-of-steel-delivers-a-whole-new-level-of-superhero-thrills)

oK. Here is a review from a guy who is more in line with what I think the core audience is like. Not a fanboy, but someone who, unlike the earlier reviewers, doesn't identify with the more schoolboy aspects that Supes has been saddled with, and therefore can judge the movie for what it has instead of what it is missing.

jom
June 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Give it up, JD. The movie is gonna SUCK!

jom

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM
don't think so. We will know this weekend.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM
‘Man Of Steel’ Review: A Super Film That Delivers on All Levels | /Film (http://www.slashfilm.com/man-of-steel-review-a-super-film-that-delivers-on-all-levels/)

Man of Steel is simultaneously bigger and smaller than you are expecting. What’s bigger? The action. Super-sizing even The Avengers, Man of Steel has more action set pieces and devastating destruction than you’ve probably ever imagined. It’s jaw-dropping, heart-pumping stuff. What’s smaller? The story. Most of the film takes places in a very condensed, focused timeline, giving it an urgency and immediacy lacking in other superhero films. A smaller narrative raises the stakes as well as the emotional complexity.

Zack Snyder has made an epic and heartfelt adventure that successfully reboots the Superman character in a realistic, and humanistic way.

Dr. Naysay
June 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I cannot ****ing wait to see this movie.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I cannot ****ing wait to see this movie.

Really glad to see that Doc. Was worried that you were going to have turned on it. I look forward to your thoughts.

Dr. Naysay
June 11th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Really glad to see that Doc. Was worried that you were going to have turned on it. I look forward to your thoughts.

??? Turned on it??? No way!

My only fear was that it was going to be yet another "Supes = Jesus" story but from the looks of it there's going to be very little of that.

Which suits me jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjust fine.

Dr. Naysay
June 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Also I like origin stories.

roenick
June 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I can't wait to see this movie. I am having trouble staying away from the reviews because I want to be surprised by watching it straight away at the theater Friday night.

NastiMarvasti
June 12th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Well I did my part and rewatched all the Supes films this week. Yes, including the Bryan Singer one. Boy did that suck. I had to fast forward some parts. I'd rather watch 3 and 4 again. Seeing the new one Friday night at the Arclight and then again on Sunday with the family. Crossing my fingers. Prove me wrong, Snyder.

jom
June 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Well I did my part and rewatched all the Supes films this week. Yes, including the Bryan Singer one. Boy did that suck. I had to fast forward some parts. I'd rather watch 3 and 4 again. Seeing the new one Friday night at the Arclight and then again on Sunday with the family. Crossing my fingers. Prove me wrong, Snyder.

You thought the Singer version was worse than 3 and 4? Some of you people are nuts!

jom

nosoupforyou
June 12th, 2013, 06:22 PM
getting a screening on thursday at LA Live...wooo!!

SmytheKing
June 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM
You thought the Singer version was worse than 3 and 4? Some of you people are nuts!

jom
Yeah. While I don't think the Singer one is something amazing, I think it gets knocked mostly because of Superbaby and DrunkSupes. Take those parts out and people wouldn't be so hard on it.

Dr. Naysay
June 12th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah. While I don't think the Singer one is something amazing, I think it gets knocked mostly because of Superbaby and DrunkSupes. Take those parts out and people wouldn't be so hard on it.

Incorrect.

NastiMarvasti
June 12th, 2013, 10:39 PM

jom

At least those movies, especially the 4th one, were in the "so bad it's good" category. Plus they had Christopher Reeve and felt somewhat like the first 2 even though they went completely off the rails. The Singer one had absolutely nothing to offer. It was a straight rip off of the first movie, the entire cast was miscast, Brandon Routh doesn't deserve the John Williams theme and just feels out of place when you see him instead of Reeve, Superboy was a dumb idea, leaving Earth to go and find nothing for 5 years was a dumb idea, James Marsden was the most unnecessary character and was really only there to shock you when you find out the baby is Supes', Supes with makeup all over his face, Jesus Supes, ...forget it. I don't have all day to explain how pointless and stupid Superman Returns was. And Singer gets extra negative credit for leaving the X-Men franchise to do this POS. He essentially ruined two franchises at once.

darby
June 12th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Probably not enough time to get it before you see the movie, but the shirts for today (Thursday, June 12):

The Limited Edition Cheap T-Shirt, Gone in 24hours! | TeeFury (http://www.teefury.com/)

orpheus
June 13th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I haven't watched Superman Returns, but the idea that there might be a Supes movie worse than Quest for Peace is disturbing.

Haha. Nuclear Man. I still have a lot of nostalgia for those Reeves movies, good or bad. ;)

NastiMarvasti
June 13th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I haven't watched Superman Returns, but the idea that there might be a Supes movie worse than Quest for Peace is disturbing.

Haha. Nuclear Man. I still have a lot of nostalgia for those Reeves movies, good or bad. ;)

As a kid seeing it in the theater, I loved it. As an adult...yeah...it's hilarious. Mariel Hemingway being able to breathe while being carried by Nuclear Man (in SPACE!!), her hair blowing in the wind while being carried by Nuclear Man (in SPACE!!), when Nuclear Man shuts off because Supes moves the moon out of orbit (nevermind the ramifications of that) to cause an eclipse she nearly falls to her death (in mother f'in SPACE yo!!).

I actually wonder how that movie would have turned out had Cannon not cut the budget in half on the first day of shooting. Jon Cryer spoke candidly about it a while back and said there was less and less food at craft services and that Reeve was completely bummed when the six months of flying stunts got shrunk to one month. The movie came out in '87 and the effects were on par with the George Reeves series.

orpheus
June 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Oh, yeah, Jon Cryer.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/chris-reeve-movies5/Lenny.jpg

:P

jom
June 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Incorrect.

At least those movies, especially the 4th one, were in the "so bad it's good" category. Plus they had Christopher Reeve and felt somewhat like the first 2 even though they went completely off the rails. The Singer one had absolutely nothing to offer. It was a straight rip off of the first movie, the entire cast was miscast, Brandon Routh doesn't deserve the John Williams theme and just feels out of place when you see him instead of Reeve, Superboy was a dumb idea, leaving Earth to go and find nothing for 5 years was a dumb idea, James Marsden was the most unnecessary character and was really only there to shock you when you find out the baby is Supes', Supes with makeup all over his face, Jesus Supes, ...forget it. I don't have all day to explain how pointless and stupid Superman Returns was. And Singer gets extra negative credit for leaving the X-Men franchise to do this POS. He essentially ruined two franchises at once.

Incorrect!

SM 3 and 4 were awful...SR wasn't awful. It actually has some nice cinematography which I think trumps "so bad it's good" crap. I didn't think it was that bad...and I'm usually negative to most "super hero" movies...in fact I think I hate most of them.

Whatever...I just hope this new one is good.

jom

SmytheKing
June 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
The Limited Edition Cheap T-Shirt, Gone in 24hours! | TeeFury (http://www.teefury.com/)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/teefury/products_large_images/battle/1370539844_left-krypton.png

vs.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/teefury/products_large_images/battle/1370539855_right-superbad.png

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Incorrect!

SM 3 and 4 were awful...SR wasn't awful. It actually has some nice cinematography which I think trumps "so bad it's good" crap. I didn't think it was that bad...and I'm usually negative to most "super hero" movies...in fact I think I hate most of them.

That's exactly what makes Superman Returns so diabolically terrible.

It HAD potential but was ruined by a lack of focus and direction.

My complaints about that movie are long, loud, detailed and have very very little to do with my being a "Superman Fan". I would love nothing more than to spend the rest of my life traveling the land on foot showing people one by one exactly why Superman Returns sucks.

SmytheKing
June 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
That's exactly what makes Superman Returns so diabolically terrible.

It HAD potential but was ruined by a lack of focus and direction.

My complaints about that movie are long, loud, detailed and have very very little to do with my being a "Superman Fan". I would love nothing more than to spend the rest of my life traveling the land on foot showing people one by one exactly why Superman Returns sucks.

Could you do one in the same vein as your Avatar one please? I still get goosebumps when I think about that.

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Could you do one in the same vein as your Avatar one please? I still get goosebumps when I think about that.

I honestly don't remember that...... what were the highlights?

jerseydevil
June 13th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I recall a particular fascination with the floating mountains and the waterfalls on said mountains. It was one of your better rants especially since I agreed with you. Still not as good as your pure venom re:Tron though imo. That was some of your prime material.

SmytheKing
June 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I recall a particular fascination with the floating mountains and the waterfalls on said mountains. It was one of your better rants especially since I agreed with you. Still not as good as your pure venom re:Tron though imo. That was some of your prime material.

Even had pictures!

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM

You should have seen the epic "Crash was a steaming pile of crap and you're an idiot if you liked it".

Now THAT was a thread.

RIP.

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Even had pictures!

LOOKEE WHAT I FOUND!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/naysay/wtf.jpg

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
WHERE'S ALL THAT WATER COMING FROM?!?!

It still doesn't make any god damned sense.

**** that movie.

SmytheKing
June 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
You should have seen the epic "Crash was a steaming pile of crap and you're an idiot if you liked it".

Now THAT was a thread.

RIP.That's your "Has anyone seen my rock" thread isn't it?

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
That's your "Has anyone seen my rock" thread isn't it?

Any thread where I get to **** on

Crash
Superman Returns
Little Miss Sunshine
Napolean Dynamite
Alvin and The Chipmunks : The Squeakquel

is an instant message board classic and probably includes some of the finest hyperbolic ranting you've ever seen.

When I really really really get a hate on for a movie I feel like I could win a ****ing Pulitzer.

NastiMarvasti
June 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I hated Titanic but with all the teenage girls wanting to see more of prepubescent Leo, I understand why it made as much as it did. I'll never understand why Avatar made as much as it did.

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.dvdfab.com/upload/tips/d31d868e3bd9c079d89e26cbe0ecf9b5.jpeg

+

http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20100427/avatar_fans_02.jpg

SmytheKing
June 13th, 2013, 08:20 PM
WHERE'S ALL THAT WATER COMING FROM?!?!

It still doesn't make any god damned sense.

**** that movie.I think we went over that and you gave me the fact that it came from the moisture in the air...but you still wanted to know why gravity applied to the rocks but not the water.

Dr. Naysay
June 13th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I think we went over that and you gave me the fact that it came from the moisture in the air...but you still wanted to know why gravity applied to the rocks but not the water.

DAMN GOOD POINT BY ME!

BUT...

come on... there's no way those floating rocks possess the ability to condense enough moisture out of the air to produce waterfalls like that.

JUST ADMIT THAT THEY MADE A YES ALBUM COVER INTO A MOVIE AND NEVER GAVE IT ANY THOUGHT!!!!

God I hate that movie.

Cross Traffic
June 13th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Still trying to figure out how "Superman Returns" got a 75% tomatometer. :P MoS is getting decent reviews but the percentage is at 56%. WTH.

nosoupforyou
June 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I'll hold my response until you peeps have seen it.

jerseydevil
June 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM
This is the End tonight and Man of Steel tomorrow. The chances of me NOT wanting to kill some mouth breathing/whispering loud/plastic crinkling idiot are ridiculously low. Take the over.

roenick
June 14th, 2013, 07:14 AM
We are seeing MOS tonight. Can't wait!

SmytheKing
June 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Not for nothing but Kevin Smith just gave it a glowing review and you all know how he feels about Superman.

jerseydevil
June 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
OOOOh K.Smith giving it the thumbs up is a good sign. Got a link to that by any chance?

And NoSoup...don't keep it to yourself. This applies to EVERYONE. If you see it...PLEASE...give your opinion. But DO NOT DISCUSS details/spoilers. Please. To be fair to everyone I propose at least a one week ban on spoiler talk...even if you put SPOILERS in nice big letters. I think a week is a fair window. If you think we should go longer let your voice be heard!!!!

jerseydevil
June 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM
'Man Of Steel' Box Office -- Global Release Begins For Superman Reboot (http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-beginning-worldwide-release-record-opening-day-in-the-philippines/)

Looks like they got a solid start. Next weekend should be a sign of how well this is gonna do when World War Z challenges.

SmytheKing
June 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM
OOOOh K.Smith giving it the thumbs up is a good sign. Got a link to that by any chance?

And NoSoup...don't keep it to yourself. This applies to EVERYONE. If you see it...PLEASE...give your opinion. But DO NOT DISCUSS details/spoilers. Please. To be fair to everyone I propose at least a one week ban on spoiler talk...even if you put SPOILERS in nice big letters. I think a week is a fair window. If you think we should go longer let your voice be heard!!!!

Was on KROQ this morning and he was going on about it for a couple of minutes. His words were "edge of my seat" "I was literally engaged and leaning forward two minutes into the movie" so on and so on. I didn't catch all of what he said but he loved it.

nosoupforyou
June 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I chose not to watch any trailers for this movie, so I had no idea who was going to be in it.

It was a solid effort and a good telling of the story. I don't know if they created that history about Krypton specifically for this reboot, so that was new to me and it added a little depth to the conflict. I thought they chose a good way of showing his past while moving the movie forward. Lots of action, incredible amount of special effects that are impressive. Casting is...interesting. I thought the 3D was well done. it added depth through the movie without being gimmicky or out of place.

Like Star Trek - it is cramming a lot of story into one movie, and while the action is good, I liked Star Trek better.

There are opportunities for this movie to be really awesome, and it just doesn't quite get there.

I'd give it a B.

roenick
June 14th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I very much enjoyed it. Really enjoyed how they handled many of the plot lines especially ones that in the past have been "aw c'mon moments." Very, very good script/story and Cahvill was great.

NastiMarvasti
June 15th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I'll save the spoilery stuff for when more people have seen it but, ugh. Simply put, this movie was not good. And I really, really wanted it to be good. I even started this thread. Zack Snyder has proven once and for all that he's an awful director.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I am seeing it today...but he's no Christopher Nolan. Oh yeah, if you have issues with this movie...you have to blame at least some of it on your Idol...you comfy with that?

Personally I think you just hate Snyder proportionate to your worship of Nolan...taints your opinion. I'll let you know more after I see it later today.

And just to review everyone...PLEASE. Moratorium on spoilers till at least next Saturday. One week is fair, if you don't want it spoiled after that it's your obligation to avoid.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Friday Box Office: MAN OF STEEL Earns $44 Million on First Full Day in Theaters | Collider (http://collider.com/friday-box-office-man-of-steel-earns-44-million-on-first-full-day-in-theaters/)

Man of Steel earned an estimated $44 million on Friday: its first official day in theaters. That total includes $9 million from midnight screenings but not the $12 million from the ?advanced screenings? that began Thursday night at 7 pm. So far, the Superman reboot has earned over $56 million in its US debut and is now on track for around $112 million (or $124 total) through Sunday. That would give Man of Steel the highest June opening of all time: ahead of both Toy Story 3 and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ? though the latter?s Wednesday release date makes comparing weekend results somewhat pointless.

The takeaway here is that Man of Steel is in excellent shape. With or without Thursday night?s grosses, the film will far exceed Warner Brothers? projection of $85 million by Sunday ? a number it took Superman Returns six days to reach back in 2006. We?ll have more box office news tomorrow including coverage of This is The End, the comedy that is successfully counter-programming Superman.

Oh, from the 'who knew' department...We saw This is the End @ the Grove last night. Pacific Theaters there is the common denominator(Arclight is the high end) theater for the West Hollywood area just due to it's size/proximity to dinner choices/accessibility. Well, the boys were voting early and often last night. TONS of same sex couples showed up in force for the evening MoS screenings. It was like the PRIDE celebration from last weekend. Never realized but I suppose Supes is capable of being a gay icon. Not mocking, just pointing out a trend I noticed as a tried and true people watcher.

BigBrown
June 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Interesting opinions coming in on this, very mixed. I think I'll probably wait until it's available outside of theaters.

SmytheKing
June 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Interesting opinions coming in on this, very mixed. I think I'll probably wait until it's available outside of theaters.

I think certain movies you need to see on a screen because of the spectacle. Superman films fall into that category for me.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah Brownie...Nasti is a known anti Synder propagandist. Don't him sway you.

That being said, I have not seen yet...so it may actually suck out loud.

SmytheKing
June 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah Brownie...Nasti is a known anti Synder propagandist. Don't him sway you.

That being said, I have not seen yet...so it may actually suck out loud.

You should take Nasti's thoughts on a Snyder movie the same way people should take your thoughts on a Nolan one. :P

I do find it kinda funny how as fond of Snyder and meh on Nolan as you are, he's the exact opposite. You guys are like Batman to the other ones Joker.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
That is...actually a very valid point. I look forward to the dissection of MoS next week. Doc Naysay hasn't seen/weighed in yet...so there's the wild card. He's like the Mr. Mxztlplyx of the equation.

Only thing...NM isn't like my arch enemy or anything. we just STRONGLY disagree on this. Want to set the record straight.

EDIT:BTW, can I be the clown prince of crime. I think Nasti is more of the cape wearing type.

Dr. Naysay
June 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I went to the 10AM showing this morning.....

at 10:35 the movie still hadnt started and a woman came out and informed us that we could line up now for refunds and free passes.

SO.....

I guess I'm seeing it tomorrow.

*sigh*

Dave
June 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I thought it was excellent. The action is a little overkill, but the story is solid. From the reviews I read on rt, most of the critics are nostalgic for the Reeves' Superman. They didn't give this movie a chance. They don't get this movie. It wasn't fun, romantic or campy enough for them. Isn't that what most of us didn't want?

I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say there's a lot of collateral damage. it's dismissed as if nothing happened. That & the action was bit much were my only complaints.

Jor El, Kal El, Pa Kent, Faora & Hardy ruled! Zod was good, but didn't rule. Faora should have been Zod. That's all for now.

NastiMarvasti
June 15th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I am seeing it today...but he's no Christopher Nolan. Oh yeah, if you have issues with this movie...you have to blame at least some of it on your Idol...you comfy with that?

Personally I think you just hate Snyder proportionate to your worship of Nolan...taints your opinion. I'll let you know more after I see it later today.

And just to review everyone...PLEASE. Moratorium on spoilers till at least next Saturday. One week is fair, if you don't want it spoiled after that it's your obligation to avoid.

Zack Snyder doesn't even deserve to lick Nolan's balls. There is no comparison between the two. But I'm not absolving Nolan of any wrong doing here. He is after all the one who hired Snyder and I did have some issues with the story itself too. Goyer wrote the script and Nolan was only part of the initial treatment so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what was on Nolan. But I'll say that your criticism of the Batman films being joyless would be better suited for this movie. I can understand Batman being that way because of the nature of the character, but not Superman. There is absolutely no heart in this movie. Pacing, character development, acting, etc. all fall flat which are typical traits of Snyder's films. There is no reason that a 2.5 hour movie should have such underdeveloped characters. He was just rushing to get to the next action sequence. For most of the movie, I felt like I wasn't ready yet for what was happening.

NastiMarvasti
June 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
That is...actually a very valid point. I look forward to the dissection of MoS next week. Doc Naysay hasn't seen/weighed in yet...so there's the wild card. He's like the Mr. Mxztlplyx of the equation.

Only thing...NM isn't like my arch enemy or anything. we just STRONGLY disagree on this. Want to set the record straight.

EDIT:BTW, can I be the clown prince of crime. I think Nasti is more of the cape wearing type.

Sometimes I only wear a cape.

NastiMarvasti
June 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I went to the 10AM showing this morning.....

at 10:35 the movie still hadnt started and a woman came out and informed us that we could line up now for refunds and free passes.

SO.....

I guess I'm seeing it tomorrow.

*sigh*

That happened to me, JD, KQ, and Lappy before the first Expendables. Brutal.

nosoupforyou
June 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Zack Snyder doesn't even deserve to lick Nolan's balls. There is no comparison between the two. But I'm not absolving Nolan of any wrong doing here. He is after all the one who hired Snyder and I did have some issues with the story itself too. Goyer wrote the script and Nolan was only part of the initial treatment so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what was on Nolan. But I'll say that your criticism of the Batman films being joyless would be better suited for this movie. I can understand Batman being that way because of the nature of the character, but not Superman. There is absolutely no heart in this movie. Pacing, character development, acting, etc. all fall flat which is a typical trait of Snyder's films. There is no reason that a 2.5 hour movie should have such underdeveloped characters. He was just rushing to get to the next action sequence. For most of the movie, I felt like I wasn't ready yet for what was happening.

that was the most disappointing part of the movie for me. The groundwork was laid for a potentially rich emotional story, and there were plenty of scenes set up for emotional payoff. The acting (and/or the pace of the movie) didn't deliver or allow for it. I wanted to connect with the characters, but it just didn't work for me. And as crazy as the pace of Star Trek was, I thought the connection/acting between the characters was fantastic.

The movie is a spectacle though, and it was enjoyable as a movie to watch, and you definitely want to see it in the theater.

NastiMarvasti
June 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM
that was the most disappointing part of the movie for me. The groundwork was laid for a potentially rich emotional story, and there were plenty of scenes set up for emotional payoff. The acting (and/or the pace of the movie) didn't deliver or allow for it. I wanted to connect with the characters, but it just didn't work for me. And as crazy as the pace of Star Trek was, I thought the connection/acting between the characters was fantastic.

The movie is a spectacle though, and it was enjoyable as a movie to watch, and you definitely want to see it in the theater.

And to be clear, I don't hate the movie. I'm just upset that they had the chance to make a really good Superman movie and they made a Transformers-like non-stop action movie which will be forgotten in history. And why does a movie like this feel so claustrophobic and small rather than a big epic? The 1978 film, although made before the CGI era, felt much grander.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Not going to get into specifics...but for the love of God...why am I forced to defend a far superior(in terms of translating the spirit of the comics) movie about Superman, vs the juggernaut Batman saga. I always LOVED Batman and hated Superman. Based on movies alone, SUPERMAN wins. Don't get lost in that battle though. I honestly think your prejudice Nasti colored your opinion. I went into All three Batman movies with an open mind. And I was able to take away some positives. Your abject hatred of Man of Steel is unfathomable. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a comic book movie. Superman is in the WHOLE movie. And it's glorious. Once again I warn...some of the above discussion is getting too spoilery. The bare opinions until next Saturday. Be kind to your fellow LGK'rs.

Ranma
June 15th, 2013, 07:20 PM

I generally trust Kevin Smith's opinions on all things nerd and geek but I think his opinion is colored a little by corporate shilling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxMLFh6hcE

By the way, I don't buy his shaving theory either. The yellow sun affects the molecular structure of Kal-El's biology but who's to say it does the same thing to his spaceship or the materials it's made of? Heck, the movie itself supports my notion.

Shaddy
June 15th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I have to say I was not disappointed by this movie. I did feel it was sort of rushed and there were some flashbacks that should have not been shown, and the fact that they focused ALOT on lois lane.

But other than that I like how they gave background on Krytpon and the fight scenes were badass. I think this was much better than iron man 3.

Dr. Naysay
June 15th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Im so pissed i couldnt watch it this morning!!!!!!

Ranma
June 15th, 2013, 10:59 PM
It's been a bit of a rollercoaster for me with regards to expectations and opinion on this movie. I started out skeptical when initial discussions had Warner Bros. wanting to make a Superman movie in the same dark, gritty fashion as their Batman trilogy. Then I became cautiously optimistic once reports had Nolan coming up with a take he was jazzed about only to be disappointed when Snyder was chosen as the director. The first few teasers and trailers didn't do much to excite me at all and did more to sway me against seeing the film. However, the third trailer--which I described as "majestically epic" earlier in this very thread--got me totally onboard and really looking forward to it.

After seeing the film at the midnight showing Thursday night, I have to say I'm disappointed, let down, and actually torn whether to like this movie or not. MoS reminds me a bit of the Bond series' "Quantum of Solace" in how there were elements within the film for it to be great only to have execution fall short in delivery of the final product.

I like the cast and thought the performances were great all around given what it had to work with. I also thought the treatment and story was fine as well but the direction left a lot to be desired in the second half, particularly with respect to the action sequences. I believe Spill.com described the action scenes as "excessive spectacle", which I think is an apt term. The movie aims to inspire and impress with visuals, but I feel pursuit of the latter came at the expense of the former. The motivations of the characters made sense and so did the action scenes in the sense of how super-powered beings would exploit such abilities in addition to the resulting collateral damage. However, while such a practical and logical approach may be technically correct, it lacked heart onscreen, which is a wide criticism of this movie.

I'm not saying Zack Snyder is Michael Bay in that he's become a parody of himself, but it does seem like he can't seem to expand beyond certain styles. However, whereas Bay is coasting on his abilities, I think Snyder is trying to improve and has shown more versatility. Having said that, the special effects--while technically done well, for the most part--did have lapses that took me out of the moment during a couple instances. A scene in the trailers with fire shown looked totally fake yet wasn't improved upon in the final product. Even during the extended fight scene, there were moments throughout that had me thinking they could have technically improved upon. Personally, I would have liked to have seen how J.J. Abrams would have handled Nolan & Goyer's script and it's no coincidence that I think "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is the best action movie of the summer, plot holes and all.

I liked the scenes of Clark growing up as they were the most heartfelt but the movie missed on quite a few marks. The action did more to numb than awe. I left the theater more shell-shocked than overwhelmed and it wasn't because I was groggy from staying up late to attend the midnight showing. The inconsistent concern for human life throughout the movie just didn't jive. This film is lacking in what its predecessors and other films were able to accomplish:

Cavill, like Routh, was a capable Clark/Superman but neither had the charm and magic of Christopher Reeve
for all the action scenes incorporated in this film, none were as impressive as the plane scene in "Superman Returns"
the stadium/world cheering scene also in "Superman Returns" was more uplifting than anything found in this movie
the Metropolis fight scene in "Superman 2" was more dramatic and impactful than the one in MoS despite the disparity in special effects technique
the first flight scene was not nearly as engaging as the one in the first Iron Man film
while this may be unfair, but was there any moment that even came close to the helicopter scene in the original "Superman" movie?

Ranma
June 16th, 2013, 12:28 AM
In case anyone is curious, here is what former Superman writer, Mark Waid, thinks in a spoilerish review, but I'll quote a non-spoilerish snippet:

Mark Waid, ThrillBent.com (6/14/13)

Non-spoiler review: It’s not for me. It had some very nice moments, several I wish I’d written (and at least three I did, I’m proud to say–there was lots of BIRTHRIGHT in it), but I can’t imagine wanting to watch it again anytime soon. YMMV. It’s a good science-fiction movie, but it’s very cold. It’s not a very satisfying super-hero movie. That said, if your favorite part of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE was Superman standing in the Fortress while Jor-El lectured him, you’re gonna love MAN OF STEEL.

Man of Steel, since you asked. (http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/)

NastiMarvasti
June 16th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Not going to get into specifics...but for the love of God...why am I forced to defend a far superior(in terms of translating the spirit of the comics) movie about Superman, vs the juggernaut Batman saga. I always LOVED Batman and hated Superman. Based on movies alone, SUPERMAN wins. Don't get lost in that battle though. I honestly think your prejudice Nasti colored your opinion. I went into All three Batman movies with an open mind. And I was able to take away some positives. Your abject hatred of Man of Steel is unfathomable. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a comic book movie. Superman is in the WHOLE movie. And it's glorious. Once again I warn...some of the above discussion is getting too spoilery. The bare opinions until next Saturday. Be kind to your fellow LGK'rs.

Dude, I started this thread. To say I was prejudiced against it is just not true. I was really, really wanting to like it especially considering I grew up on the first two Reeve movies and still love them today. I was more than ready for Snyder to prove me wrong. Hell this movie even had problems with blocking. And I said before, I didn't hate it. But it's not a good movie. If you like non stop action from start to finish, maybe this movie is for you.

Superman being in the whole movie ISN'T a good thing. This is an origin story. Two of the most widely respected origin stories in comics were Superman: The Movie and Batman Begins. You don't see Superman or Batman for at least the first hour in each. And the first hour isn't bombarded with action but rather dialogue and actual story. Otherwise I wouldn't give two s***s about the hero when he's in trouble. Now maybe you didn't like those movies, but I think if you ask most people, they'd say that THOSE are comic book movies. Not this mess.