PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the beer league part 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

xLAxKingsx
June 28th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Im ****ing dead at work right now. http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1aztwjo4F1r80jtz.gif made it home by 1 bed by 130 up at 4. But while playing i totally forgot i had work this was a fun game. Won 7-5 Peggy_GKG had 2 goals and almost had the hat trick. Team we played had the worst sandbagger he scored all 5 of their goals. He skated right thru our D and was back handing and just overall a douche. So bad that every time he was on the ice we collapsed everyone and clogged up the middle and he still wouldnt pass and tried to get a shot off. We played much better overall lots of O time kept the puck in and shot everything at the net. I did fall off the bench trying to get out for my shift lol. I think im hallucinating.

jammer06
June 28th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Wow Nyssa thats a nice bruise!

Peggy and LAkings are having a ball I see.

Heard back from the league, hoping they have a spot for me soon

beedee
June 28th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Im ****ing dead at work right now. http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1aztwjo4F1r80jtz.gif made it home by 1 bed by 130 up at 4. But while playing i totally forgot i had work this was a fun game. Won 7-5 Peggy_GKG had 2 goals and almost had the hat trick. Team we played had the worst sandbagger he scored all 5 of their goals. He skated right thru our D and was back handing and just overall a douche. So bad that every time he was on the ice we collapsed everyone and clogged up the middle and he still wouldnt pass and tried to get a shot off. We played much better overall lots of O time kept the puck in and shot everything at the net. I did fall off the bench trying to get out for my shift lol. I think im hallucinating.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/5de005457ef243e5fc923e26970d2d58/tumblr_n6kf7mVveM1sna8pso1_400.gif

Congrats on the win fellas, its a great feel! Super douchey about the sandbagger, it never seizes to amaze me that people do that, in rookie of all leagues!!! Congrats to PGKG for tickling the twine, twice!!!

I hope ya get on a team too Jammer, I'm sure they'll find ya a spot!!!

We had our 2nd game of the season, and my first game of the season with this new team last night. I was a bit apprehensive after looking at last weeks score, they lost 14-4! I had no idea of what to expect, especially after seeing that score. I talked to some of the guys before the game and they said their regular goalie is horrible.....grrrreat. Last night, we had a sub goalie that has played for them before, and he was solid, he has been in the pipes for 15 years!

So we get out to the benches, wait for the Zam doors to close and then we begin warm ups. After a couple minutes I heard a loud ping/clash/smash noise at the other end of the ice. Holy crap, one of their players managed to shatter a pane of glass right behind their goal. The crew is quickly on the seen (two rink workers), well 45 minutes go by, and two pieces of ply-wood, with one having to be cut right then and there on the spot, we finally started our 7:50pm game at 8:45pm! This was cool though because it gave me extra time to warm up off and on during the repair job. I still am not feeling 100% like my old skater self yet, but I'm getting close.

On to the game, I was paired up on D with the Captain, so that was cool! We had 3 full forward lines and I didn't want to mess with any of that business, we had two lines of D, awwww, it was so nice to just go every other shift and not worry about ice time! :) I'd say overall our teams were evenly matched. What beer league game wouldn't be complete without the other team having a ringer though??? Sure enough, they had an upper Silver player on their team, "Dr. Dangles" we dubbed him. Ironically, we didn't allow him to score. They went up 1-0 in the first period, then we tied it up in the 2nd. Then they went up 2-1 in the 2nd. We tied it up about midway through the 3rd, and then we scored the go-ahead and GWG late in the 3rd with 1:30 left on the clock! Final score, 3-2, we win!

It felt great to be back out there, and it felt great to get the W after trailing by 1 goal for 90% of the game. I had a couple rushes from our blue line into their zone that resulted a couple of shots from just inside the circles, that felt good. My skating is getting closer to where it used to be, 1 or 2 more games and I should be fully dialed in again!

Speaking of skates, I have been debating on getting a new pair, as my current Graf Ultra G5's are 4 years old now, and I never loved them, they just never fit right after a couple of bakes and multiple punchings. The biggest issue is a small bone spur? that has developed on the inside big toe joint where it meets my foot. That thing is a major pain as it causes a lot of discomfort when pressure is applied when skating. Last night I tried those soft rubber Corn Cushions on the area, and initially it worked, but then the pain returned. It is in the area basically where the toe cap meets the boot, along the inside portion of the skate. I tried on a few pairs of skates over the weekend at Hockey Giant (in the $199 range). The Bauer Nexus, a Bauer Supreme and a CCM Jetspeed. I wanted to try the CCM Ribcor (with the pump), but they steered me away saying they were garbage. I have narrowed it down to the Bauer Supreme s160 and the CCM JetSpeed 270. The JetSpeed fit a bit better to me, with less discomfort in the rear arch area. I know once baked, and skated on, they will fit better, but right out of the box, the CCM just fit like a glove, not too loose, not too snug, just about right!

**I just checked the scoresheet, and I got credit for the game winning goal.....and I wasn't even on the ice for it!!**
https://media.giphy.com/media/axu6dFuca4HKM/giphy.gif

xLAxKingsx
June 28th, 2016, 11:18 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/5de005457ef243e5fc923e26970d2d58/tumblr_n6kf7mVveM1sna8pso1_400.gif

Congrats on the win fellas, its a great feel! Super douchey about the sandbagger, it never seizes to amaze me that people do that, in rookie of all leagues!!! Congrats to PGKG for tickling the twine, twice!!!

I hope ya get on a team too Jammer, I'm sure they'll find ya a spot!!!

We had our 2nd game of the season, and my first game of the season with this new team last night. I was a bit apprehensive after looking at last weeks score, they lost 14-4! I had no idea of what to expect, especially after seeing that score. I talked to some of the guys before the game and they said their regular goalie is horrible.....grrrreat. Last night, we had a sub goalie that has played for them before, and he was solid, he has been in the pipes for 15 years!

So we get out to the benches, wait for the Zam doors to close and then we begin warm ups. After a couple minutes I heard a loud ping/clash/smash noise at the other end of the ice. Holy crap, one of their players managed to shatter a pane of glass right behind their goal. The crew is quickly on the seen (two rink workers), well 45 minutes go by, and two pieces of ply-wood, with one having to be cut right then and there on the spot, we finally started our 7:50pm game at 8:45pm! This was cool though because it gave me extra time to warm up off and on during the repair job. I still am not feeling 100% like my old skater self yet, but I'm getting close.

On to the game, I was paired up on D with the Captain, so that was cool! We had 3 full forward lines and I didn't want to mess with any of that business, we had two lines of D, awwww, it was so nice to just go every other shift and not worry about ice time! :) I'd say overall our teams were evenly matched. What beer league game wouldn't be complete without the other team having a ringer though??? Sure enough, they had an upper Silver player on their team, "Dr. Dangles" we dubbed him. Ironically, we didn't allow him to score. They went up 1-0 in the first period, then we tied it up in the 2nd. Then they went up 2-1 in the 2nd. We tied it up about midway through the 3rd, and then we scored the go-ahead and GWG late in the 3rd with 1:30 left on the clock! Final score, 3-2, we win!

It felt great to be back out there, and it felt great to get the W after trailing by 1 goal for 90% of the game. I had a couple rushes from our blue line into their zone that resulted a couple of shots from just inside the circles, that felt good. My skating is getting closer to where it used to be, 1 or 2 more games and I should be fully dialed in again!

Speaking of skates, I have been debating on getting a new pair, as my current Graf Ultra G5's are 4 years old now, and I never loved them, they just never fit right after a couple of bakes and multiple punchings. The biggest issue is a small bone spur? that has developed on the inside big toe joint where it meets my foot. That thing is a major pain as it causes a lot of discomfort when pressure is applied when skating. Last night I tried those soft rubber Corn Cushions on the area, and initially it worked, but then the pain returned. It is in the area basically where the toe cap meets the boot, along the inside portion of the skate. I tried on a few pairs of skates over the weekend at Hockey Giant (in the $199 range). The Bauer Nexus, a Bauer Supreme and a CCM Jetspeed. I wanted to try the CCM Ribcor (with the pump), but they steered me away saying they were garbage. I have narrowed it down to the Bauer Supreme s160 and the CCM JetSpeed 270. The JetSpeed fit a bit better to me, with less discomfort in the rear arch area. I know once baked, and skated on, they will fit better, but right out of the box, the CCM just fit like a glove, not too loose, not too snug, just about right!

**I just checked the scoresheet, and I got credit for the game winning goal.....and I wasn't even on the ice for it!!**
https://media.giphy.com/media/axu6dFuca4HKM/giphy.gif

That fall would have been less embarrassing but i fell into the bench! About the sand bagger not sure how he finds that fun? He looked miserable outside since his team is 0-2 now ha!

Nice that you got a win and didnt have the bad goalie in for your first game. I also looked forward to a screw up and getting at least a assist on a goal but no luck im still all zero. I love my ccm ribcor skates perfect fit for me.

beedee
June 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM
That fall would have been less embarrassing but i fell into the bench! About the sand bagger not sure how he finds that fun? He looked miserable outside since his team is 0-2 now ha!

Nice that you got a win and didnt have the bad goalie in for your first game. I also looked forward to a screw up and getting at least a assist on a goal but no luck im still all zero. I love my ccm ribcor skates perfect fit for me.

Thats cool man, I still want to try them on. As we know, everyone's opinion is just that. I know people that have them and love them, not sure if he was just being lazy and didn't want to pull out another pair of skates for me. The more skates I can try on, the better. The funny thing is, everyone I talked to said the JetSpeed would fit more narrow than the Bauer Supreme, but they felt a little bit wider, or maybe wider in the right places? I dunno.

xLAxKingsx
June 28th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Thats cool man, I still want to try them on. As we know, everyone's opinion is just that. I know people that have them and love them, not sure if he was just being lazy and didn't want to pull out another pair of skates for me. The more skates I can try on, the better. The funny thing is, everyone I talked to said the JetSpeed would fit more narrow than the Bauer Supreme, but they felt a little bit wider, or maybe wider in the right places? I dunno.

Thats the thing about skates no matter how many people tell you try this or that it really comes down to personal preference. Im sure dude was being a ass about bringing out more skates but hey if your dropping $200 plus on skates they better feel perfect.

LetTigerIn
June 28th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Looks like one of our players was disqualified from our division, so our second game goes down as a forfeit.

Nyssa42
June 28th, 2016, 08:13 PM

My new skates, which replaced 20 year old Bauer Custom Supreme 4000s, are CCM RBZ, and I LOVE them!! These are Jr. size skates, never baked 'em or did anything, but they fit great and are so comfortable and lightweight. Don't know if they make them in "big kid" size. I tried on a lot of pairs before I got these. The Bauer Vapors were the worst. How does anyone use those??

So, I recommend CCMs as well.

And LOL about the GWG.

beedee
June 29th, 2016, 09:41 AM
My new skates, which replaced 20 year old Bauer Custom Supreme 4000s, are CCM RBZ, and I LOVE them!! These are Jr. size skates, never baked 'em or did anything, but they fit great and are so comfortable and lightweight. Don't know if they make them in "big kid" size. I tried on a lot of pairs before I got these. The Bauer Vapors were the worst. How does anyone use those??

And LOL about the GWG.

The JetSpeed line is the new RBZ line. :) I remember trying on some RBZ's last year or so after they first came out and they fit really good as well. I think the JetSpeed line is a little bit more anatomical, so it locks your heel in even better than the RBZ's do/did. I'm glad ya dig them, I'm very close to pulling the trigger!

beedee
June 29th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Looks like one of our players was disqualified from our division, so our second game goes down as a forfeit.

Was he a ringer? If so, that sucks and is a bummer about the forfeit, on the other hand, if he was a ringer, I think it is good to see the league taking action against that. If he wasn't a ringer, how come he was DQ'ed?

LetTigerIn
June 29th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Was he a ringer? If so, that sucks and is a bummer about the forfeit, on the other hand, if he was a ringer, I think it is good to see the league taking action against that. If he wasn't a ringer, how come he was DQ'ed?

He is the son of one of our players, and the level of his play was a concern, because he has played travel hockey. So, he was definitely overqualified for the division, but he was approved by the league to play our first game. However, he was disqualified by the league for the second game, but our captain just plain made a mistake and allowed him to play again. So, the forfeit is on us, and the league did take the proper action, which I agree is good to see. In fact, one of the reasons our team is better this season is because the league noted how offensively challenged we were last season compared to other teams, and took steps to rectify the situation. It's never going to be perfect, obviously, but they do a great job of looking out for these things.

Peggy_GKG
June 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM

And LOL about the GWG.

I have two pairs of skates that I go back and forth on, Bauer Vapor 500's and CCM RBZ 70's. (Might be 80's I can't remember). I have mutant feet and was very worried about the Vapors (got 'em online for cheap, although I did try on a newer model pair just to get an idea of the fit) but once I broke them in they fit great, maybe better than the CCM's. I vary the thickness of my socks and use inserts and haven't really have much of a problem with either. Maybe I'm just not as picky about that kind of stuff.

Luc SkyBomba
June 29th, 2016, 02:37 PM
haha mutant feet! i call mine "hobbit feet"

beedee
June 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I have two pairs of skates that I go back and forth on, Bauer Vapor 500's and CCM RBZ 70's. (Might be 80's I can't remember). I have mutant feet and was very worried about the Vapors (got 'em online for cheap, although I did try on a newer model pair just to get an idea of the fit) but once I broke them in they fit great, maybe better than the CCM's. I vary the thickness of my socks and use inserts and haven't really have much of a problem with either. Maybe I'm just not as picky about that kind of stuff.

I hope they fit better than your first helmet/cage combo did!

https://media.giphy.com/media/QgixZj4y3TwnS/giphy.gif

Luc SkyBomba
July 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM
in the immortal words of Luc Robitaille...

"We're in the damn finals!"

Unfortunately, I'm gonna be on a plane headed to my cousin's wedding... damn him!!

jammer06
July 6th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Had my first game last night with the new boys. It was interesting. They have some pretty sweet storm trooper crests so they got that going for them. I'm on the bottom level learners league here and that's problematic.

Several times I could pick the puck and break in just on reaction and then I had to pull up short because I thought this ain't cool. So I'd circle the net or try to slow down for the cavalry.

There's 2 other people on the team that skate similarly and probably shouldn't be at this level. All three of us combined for like 1 shot on goal (really too much deferring). I can't decide if I should just go ahead and start firing on net or feel out the room and see how these boys are. The locker room was ok for a first night with lots of new boys coming in.

The rink itself is part of a huge complex, they appear to have 3 rinks across 2 buildings so thats pretty cool. Its right next to O'hare so so thats not as cool in terms of traffic and overall drive. The place is pretty industrial but overall it looked clean enough so I'm not fearing for my life like I was in Oakland.

In any case for a first night where our best players were actively trying not to score it was a nice close 4-3 loss (they scored the go ahead on a redirection off our wingers skate in the slot from the half wall. Next game I think I'm going to shoot a little more early on and then see how it goes. We tried to push back but they just clogged the middle and it was chaos hockey at its finest.

beedee
July 6th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear you got on a team Jammer! I feel ya about being on the lowest level of league, sounds like you and the other guys can be the playmakers and try to set up the newer guys for goals. Are you playing defense?

No game for us this weekend due to the holiday. Looks like we are back at it next Monday at 10:30pm....nothing like getting home from work at 6pm, then having to head out to a game 3 hours later.

jammer06
July 6th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Well here's what happened, the assistant captain wrote the lines down on his board based on who he thought was showing up. So they had me as 3rd line right wing. We line up for the first faceoff and we're missing a center, I start counting and there's 5 of us on the bench and everyone thinks we have 3 full lines. So being the nice guy I am I realized this was a total cluster and slid down told the other 4 guys to figure out who was playing D with me and then we dicked around as one more person showed up and they decided to go 5 d and 6 forwards....

Part of the problem is the goalie is the captain so he's not on the bench to play god with these little hiccups.

xLAxKingsx
July 6th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear you got on a team Jammer! I feel ya about being on the lowest level of league, sounds like you and the other guys can be the playmakers and try to set up the newer guys for goals. Are you playing defense?

No game for us this weekend due to the holiday. Looks like we are back at it next Monday at 10:30pm....nothing like getting home from work at 6pm, then having to head out to a game 3 hours later.

We play saturday... then have a game monday at 1030. Getting out of work at 430 driving to anahiem from westwood and then driving home after the game to DTLA... just kill me now!

beedee
July 6th, 2016, 02:43 PM
We play saturday... then have a game monday at 1030. Getting out of work at 430 driving to anahiem from westwood and then driving home after the game to DTLA... just kill me now!

https://media.giphy.com/media/WxDZ77xhPXf3i/giphy.gif

Nyssa42
July 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM

this is what you get for being a hipster!

xLAxKingsx
July 7th, 2016, 07:29 AM
this is what you get for being a hipster!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Mj0Rq6MfFe1Ec/200.gif

xLAxKingsx
July 10th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Great game last night the most fun. Lost 2-1 but damn does it feel better when the teams are evenly matched. Whole game was back and fourth both goalies played well. Got 3 shots on goal wish I could have buried one. Also got a breakaway but I was playing against top line and their D hustled back enough to tap my stick when I went for the shot. I blame this loss on Peggy_GKG for taking it off haha. No really loss was on ref for swallowing his whistle 2 times when they had 7 players on ice and one goal was after multiple whacks at our goalies glove and not stopping play. Their reason was he shouldn't have moved and just laid on top of it.

beedee
July 11th, 2016, 09:16 AM
You'll find that the refs let a lot go in Rookie, especially the too many men thing, or incidental contact that results in an episode of Keystone Cops.

I have a game in 13 hours and 15 minutes, hooray.

jammer06
July 11th, 2016, 09:45 AM
game two tonight. Going to try a little harder than last time.

xLAxKingsx
July 11th, 2016, 09:47 AM
You'll find that the refs let a lot go in Rookie, especially the too many men thing, or incidental contact that results in an episode of Keystone Cops.

I have a game in 13 hours and 15 minutes, hooray.

i get maybe too many men on a shift change on the go or something. But when they drop the puck after a icing on our end and they let the play go for a few seconds when they have 7 players on its kinda like https://media0.giphy.com/media/LPdUmwrsRFAli/200.gif is the fix in? haha. Btw I have another Monday night game yay............................................... ........ 1035 thanks The Rinks adults dont have to wake up early for work the next day. https://media1.giphy.com/media/38U60fvIfokjC/200.gif

Peggy_GKG
July 11th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Great game last night the most fun. Lost 2-1 but damn does it feel better when the teams are evenly matched. Whole game was back and fourth both goalies played well. Got 3 shots on goal wish I could have buried one. Also got a breakaway but I was playing against top line and their D hustled back enough to tap my stick when I went for the shot. I blame this loss on Peggy_GKG for taking it off haha. No really loss was on ref for swallowing his whistle 2 times when they had 7 players on ice and one goal was after multiple whacks at our goalies glove and not stopping play. Their reason was he shouldn't have moved and just laid on top of it.

Trust me I wish I could have been there, sounds like a tough loss. I'll try to make up for it tonight!

xLAxKingsx
July 11th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Trust me I wish I could have been there, sounds like a tough loss. I'll try to make up for it tonight!

It was tough in the sense that it was really tight game and we couldnt capitalize on the penalties. But was fun especially when they got a penalty last minute and we pulled goalie and had 7 players on the ice. https://media0.giphy.com/media/GdmqmGXiIG38k/200.gif the bench... You better get a hatty tonight!

beedee
July 11th, 2016, 02:54 PM
I'd throw my pants on the ice if PGKG gets a hatty!

xLAxKingsx
July 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I'd throw my pants on the ice if PGKG gets a hatty!

ill throw my cup!

jammer06
July 12th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Game 2 with the new guys was much better. Overall we faced a bit stronger team. They had at least one guy who was definitely at the wrong level and between the 2 of us we made things exciting. Game was tight as was last week with the exception that this week our better players were feeling better about going for it. Which was good because they had a one line team and they were going for it too. The team carried a 3-2 lead into the 3rd but then got caught in deep and inevitably the other guys tied it. Boys were a bit deflated so I decided to really go for it, got the puck rushed down the ice and went around the net to walk out and fire up high on my forehand. Goalie was completely down and out diving to get back to my side and somehow got his glove up and robbed the hell out of me. I got the better of him the next shift though, chaos play happened in front and I was chilling at the blue line. Puck squirted out right towards me and there was one of their team trying to get to it, I started yelling "leave it, leave it" and the dude left the puck! So I crushed it. Goalie had no chance this time.
We ended up winning 4-3 and back in the locker room the vets on the team were really soaking it in. Eventually one of them goes "Finally a ****ing win for this team" and I was stunned. I asked and it was indeed their very first win stretching back to when the team was formed the prior season. So I toasted the win and basked with them.

xLAxKingsx
July 12th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Game got cancelled last night email sent out around 950 game at 1030... I was already pulling into the parking lot. Something about the pressure going out and the ice turning into slush. At least i got some sleep and heres this. https://media4.giphy.com/media/Ag4pj6U9pEcQ8/200.gif

beedee
July 12th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Due to eating too much at the All You Can Eat Korean BBQ place, I didn't make it to my 10:30pm game.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Cdq_I1Q-zgU/VljxnEJskBI/AAAAAAAAESM/MrL_iHx0UMg/s400/eIUVbB8.gif

Looks like they won though 3-2. :)

Peggy_GKG
July 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Game got cancelled last night email sent out around 950 game at 1030... I was already pulling into the parking lot. Something about the pressure going out and the ice turning into slush. At least i got some sleep and heres this. https://media4.giphy.com/media/Ag4pj6U9pEcQ8/200.gif

That sucks man I was wondering how far you made it down last night. Bummer. Hopefully they get it fixed quick and the re-schedule isn't too obnoxious.

beedee
July 12th, 2016, 09:43 AM
That sucks man I was wondering how far you made it down last night. Bummer. Hopefully they get it fixed quick and the re-schedule isn't too obnoxious.

Obnoxious scheduling is what The Rinks are known for.

Peggy_GKG
July 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Obnoxious scheduling is what The Rinks are known for.

Well the original game was scheduled for 10:35 pm on a Monday night. Can it get worse than that?

xLAxKingsx
July 12th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Yea it sucked to do the drive at least no traffic so i was back home in 30mins. Hope they dont try and add another weekday game. Wouldnt mind playing a double header with a 30 min in between to take a small breather.

jammer06
July 12th, 2016, 11:41 AM
We used to have 11:15 starts in Oakland. Those were the worst.

Then again they kicked us out after one of those because USC was there to play CAL for a 2am start time....

Nyssa42
July 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM
whoo hoo! My team won our playoff game tonight, 7-1. So now it's on to the semi-finals next week. Our goalie was great, especially in the 2nd period when we for some reason couldn't get the puck out of our zone and I had to take like 5 faceoffs in a row. I am terrible at faceoffs, but I've gotten better this season and actually win about 1 out of 3 now.
This was against the team who had only 1 fewer point than us, and we finished 4th out of 8 teams, so next round we will be playing "up" for sure. The #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) team is made up of guys who are all huge and tall. Hope we get to play them in the finals next Thursday!

PS...I did not score any of the goals, but I did wear my Trevor Lewis game-worn Legends Night gloves. Maybe I'll finally get a goal next game.

jammer06
July 14th, 2016, 05:49 AM
The crest for the new boys I'm playing with is pretty sweet, finally got an image of it.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/jercek6/imperials%20crest_zpsyebpfrbq.jpg?t=1468414091

Peggy_GKG
July 14th, 2016, 11:23 AM
The crest for the new boys I'm playing with is pretty sweet, finally got an image of it.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/jercek6/imperials%20crest_zpsyebpfrbq.jpg?t=1468414091

Hopefully you guys shoot with better accuracy than a real Stormtrooper :whoo:

Also, beedee's and mine old Lakewood team is now the "Ice Troopers" and have a similar logo. Seems to be pretty popular.

jammer06
July 14th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I figured it wasnt original, still a sweet crest though.

xLAxKingsx
July 14th, 2016, 02:26 PM
that crest is pretty sweet!

xLAxKingsx
July 18th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Sundays game went well! 8-1 just total dominance but other team seems really disorganized so that also played a huge part. Played decent had a few shots on goal made a few nice passes but no finishes thanks for the 0 assists guys https://media2.giphy.com/media/LJ1XTfxW60Luw/200.gif Ha! No it was fun their goalie had about 5 or 6 of the goals go 5 hole. Everyone started shooting 5 hole on him and he just didnt know how to stop em. We got another game tonight 1030 back to backs should be fun! Peggy_GKG made it to the game and chipped in a goal too https://media0.giphy.com/media/kRXnZwKrPTwVq/200.gif

Peggy_GKG
July 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Sundays game went well! 8-1 just total dominance but other team seems really disorganized so that also played a huge part. Played decent had a few shots on goal made a few nice passes but no finishes thanks for the 0 assists guys https://media2.giphy.com/media/LJ1XTfxW60Luw/200.gif Ha! No it was fun their goalie had about 5 or 6 of the goals go 5 hole. Everyone started shooting 5 hole on him and he just didnt know how to stop em. We got another game tonight 1030 back to backs should be fun! Peggy_GKG made it to the game and chipped in a goal too https://media0.giphy.com/media/kRXnZwKrPTwVq/200.gif

And an assist! Gotta maintain that 2 ppg average. Honestly most of my points have been garbage this season. We'll see how it goes tonight against a better team. You had some real solid looks last night and some crisp passes. Keep your feet moving and it'll happen!

beedee
July 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Nice job fellas.
http://38.media.tumblr.com/4dcb32e3d919705576bcf2c4263a5f8c/tumblr_n9uqy2UcXD1rrx588o1_400.gif

I have a game at 9:10pm tonight, I'll post up the report tomorrow morning.

LetTigerIn
July 18th, 2016, 04:53 PM
We got crushed yesterday by the defending champs, who have a +12 goal differential (15 GF, 3 GA) over their first 2 games, so at least we stayed inside of 6 goals against them. Personally, I came back from a two-week layoff with a performance that included a tripping minor, shading a one-timer wide left, and a back injury. So, not the best week. Hopefully next week will be better.

xLAxKingsx
July 19th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Tough game for me tired skated like crap only had 9 players show up 3 D was still kinda fun. But at least we won in a SO. Tight game back and forth feel if we had a full squad we could have played better and had a decisive win. 4-5 was final score now to sunday!

But right now....

https://media4.giphy.com/media/3oEduFKBP4aVpazFvO/200.gif

beedee
July 19th, 2016, 10:03 AM
We lost 5-3.

Lets recap.

Our team had 15 players, yes, 15. We rolled 3 full forward lines and 5 defensemen (I played D). The other team started with 7 skaters, but ended up with 9 by the end of the first period. We were playing the Knights, the same team we played two weeks back, and beat 3-2. I'd say we were fairly evenly matched, with them having the edge by having more skilled players than our team, mainly the forwards. Speaking of forwards, ours were held scoreless, and our D scored all three goals, including me, who scored the first one. I had brought the puck up the ice from deep in our zone and pretty much went North/South, with a dodge and a dangle, then got a shot off towards the far post. The rebound got deflected out to the point, in which my D partner let a clapper fly. I was at the top of the crease for a screen and possible redirect. The shot made it through, hit the goalies leg pad, veered off to the left almost right on to my stick, with a quick flick of the wrist, I lifted it up and over his left leg pad and lit the lamp. This tied up the game at 1-1.
https://media.giphy.com/media/6oMKugqovQnjW/giphy.gif

The game pretty much went back and forth, they were up 1-0, then we tied, then they went up 2-1, then we would tie, then we were up 3-2, then they would tie, and eventually take the lead. In the second period a shot came from up high, between the top of the circle and the blue line, I had their forwards stick tied up (lifted with mine underneath it) and the shot went off my right skate and in for the game-tying goal, 3-3.
http://i.imgur.com/l2Cmq2c.gif

The third period was all them, they scored two more to nail the coffin shut. Our forwards could not manage to hold the puck in the O'zone for more than 10 seconds on end, it was very frustrating, especially since we should have been out skating them left and right. Another annoying thing was that it was rare for a forward to cover the point if the D went coast to coast. This bit me in the ass for the first goal of the game. It is a catch 22 because it is almost pointless to carry the puck up from deep in our zone and then stop once I cross the blue line and just dump it in and turn it over, or do I carrying it all the way in and hope and pray someone covers the point??!?! We got burned a couple times by carrying the puck in, but the forwards weren't producing, so we kept activating our D. I had maybe 5 or 6 end to end rushes, most resulted in a SOG, but my last one late in the third was very close to tickling the twice. By that point in the game I was in the groove, feeling it, everything was clicking, I made a couple toe drag dangles as I crossed the red line, then blue line and was coming in on my backhand (I'm a lefty) along the right side. An opponent was coming across so I had to get a shot off quick, I didn't have the space to try to deke the goalie so I got a quick backhand shot off and there was a rebound, in which I stuffed right back into the 5-hole area (goalie was down) and he ended up smothering it. #sigh (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=sigh)
http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/733/4784305.jpg

It was a fun game, now that I have two games under my belt with the team I can see where the holes are. Our goalie is older (late 40's/early 50's?) and plays waaaaaay too deep in the crease, and to compound on that, he doesn't drop. He got beat from the blue line on what was a routine save in my opinion, as the guy wound up, I made sure to back up so he had a clear view of the shot....tweeners. Again, his heels were basically on the goal line...ugh. We have one "that guy" on the team, whom won't STFU and thinks he is God's gift to the team, and is always clashing with the Captain, I'm honestly not sure why he hasn't been booted yet.

Now I am really debating on getting those new skates, I've just about had it with my Grafs. Maybe this weekend I'll head out to HG or HM and revisit the CCM Jetspeeds and bring my Grafs with me so I can compare the stiffness side by side.

Nyssa42
July 19th, 2016, 11:43 PM
well, darn....no game for me on Thursday. My team lost 5-1 in the semi-finals tonight. It was back and forth for about the first 10 minutes, then I took an incredibly stupid too-many-men penalty and the other team scored about 10 seconds into it. Our team just couldn't get any offense going. And then I managed to let the same guy skate around me deep to the side of my own net - twice - which led to goals 4 & 5 for them late in the 2nd. We hit a couple of posts in the 3rd, but the other team's goalie played great.
On a positive note, I actually felt like this was my best game since I re-started playing hockey. I have gotten into so much better shape, and, even though I got burned, the guys on this opposing team were actually skating circles around me earlier in the season, and tonight I felt like I held my own against them.

xLAxKingsx
July 25th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Good game last night! Beat the undefeated team feels good to knock em off that streak. They have really good players all around but we are just getting better with time. Peggy_GKG Had a beaut of a goal simply cause he worked ****ing hard for it had about 4 shots on goal before it went in lol. Im still pointless smh and i realized how cheap hockey pants suck fell on my ass and these pants have no padding at all. Hate that we have these 2 weeks off cause they are "clinic" weeks i just wanna play god dammit.

xLAxKingsx
July 25th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Correction I got 1 point on a assist! Woot.

Peggy_GKG
July 25th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Good game last night! Beat the undefeated team feels good to knock em off that streak. They have really good players all around but we are just getting better with time. Peggy_GKG Had a beaut of a goal simply cause he worked ****ing hard for it had about 4 shots on goal before it went in lol. Im still pointless smh and i realized how cheap hockey pants suck fell on my ass and these pants have no padding at all. Hate that we have these 2 weeks off cause they are "clinic" weeks i just wanna play god dammit.

Yeah I was gonna say I saw you had an assist on Pointstreak. Of course I didn't even get credit for that goal

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kevin-Spacey-OkAngry.gif

Refs/scorekeeper were clearly on crack, I was the only person within 10 feet of the net and took 4 swings at it, but whatever. That was a fun game and glad we got the win against the top team who also had about 7 more players than we did

xLAxKingsx
July 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Yeah I was gonna say I saw you had an assist on Pointstreak. Of course I didn't even get credit for that goal

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kevin-Spacey-OkAngry.gif

Refs/scorekeeper were clearly on crack, I was the only person within 10 feet of the net and took 4 swings at it, but whatever. That was a fun game and glad we got the win against the top team who also had about 7 more players than we did

Wait the fuq? How did you not get that? You were the only one in that area wacking at it smh. It was fun seeing them run 3 lines of forwards vs our 2 but its still fun being short on the bench lots of ice time.

LetTigerIn
July 25th, 2016, 12:22 PM
The good news is we won our game last night, but the bad news is that we gave up a 4-0 lead while doing it. Still, two points is two points. Personally had a decent skate with one sliding blocked shot, a backcheck that thwarted a slap shot attempt and an assist.

beedee
July 25th, 2016, 02:15 PM
How did PGKG not score on the 2nd or 3rd hack at the puck? lol.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s393/OutCold-/tumblr_lsrp7rqji71r0vfb0.gif (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/OutCold-/media/tumblr_lsrp7rqji71r0vfb0.gif.html)

Don't be too surprised by teams not playing well with more players, it happens a lot. In fact, I found it much harder to keep fresh and stay in a rhythm when I played on a wing with three lines. Way too much down time.

We play tonight at 7:50pm, I'll do a report on it tomorrow morning.

Peggy_GKG
July 25th, 2016, 02:28 PM
How did PGKG not score on the 2nd or 3rd hack at the puck? lol.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s393/OutCold-/tumblr_lsrp7rqji71r0vfb0.gif (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/OutCold-/media/tumblr_lsrp7rqji71r0vfb0.gif.html)

Don't be too surprised by teams not playing well with more players, it happens a lot. In fact, I found it much harder to keep fresh and stay in a rhythm when I played on a wing with three lines. Way too much down time.

We play tonight at 7:50pm, I'll do a report on it tomorrow morning.

First two shots were rebounds, I was right in front of the goalie and he smothered 'em. Third time I finally had enough room to get it up and over his pads, while fighting off the D.

beedee
July 26th, 2016, 09:50 AM
We took another big fat L last night, 7-2.
https://media.giphy.com/media/c453ypM8rqm1a/giphy.gif

The good, I got credit for another goal that I didn't score, the bad, I got credit for a penalty that I didn't take. That brings my total goals to 3 in 3 games, with only 1 actual scored!
http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/not-bad-agreement/picgifs-not-bad-agreement-4021281.gif

Nothing exciting to report at all. We had 10 skaters, so two even lines was very nice. Once again, the goalie let in at least 4 very soft goals. Unfortunately I was paired up with the weakest D guy on our team, and that resulted in me being a -3 on the night. I know it is just beer league, but the frustrations were real. Regarding my defensive play, I would always play the passing lane and take/cover/tie-up the winger on my side, leaving a clear view of the incoming shot for the goalie...which is about all I could do. Also, my D partner isn't a very strong skater, and can't really skate backwards, he got Scuderi'ed at least 5 times, 3 of which resulted in goals.
I felt like our centers weren't back-checking nor picking up the player in the high slot. I could only cover one guy, and it seemed as if the other team had one extra person unmolested in the slot/high-slot area. Our forwards failed to produce goals again, and both of our goals were scored by the defense. I did have two clappers from the point that got through traffic and ultimately saved, and a couple wristers as well. It is fun kind of saucing in a floater on net about 2 feet off the ice and hoping for a redirect or crazy bounce. I know as a goalie those were hard AF to stop.

Oh well, it is nice to get out there and skate. I have been experimenting with the eye-lets on my skates, the last two games I left the very top one un-done. While this allowed a better range of motion, I did feel a bit wobbly out there. Next week I plan on lacing them all the way up (as I used to do). I know the range of motion won't be as good, but my foot will feel more secure in the boot.

xLAxKingsx
July 26th, 2016, 11:40 AM
he got Scuderi'ed at least 5 times, 3 of which resulted in goals.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/13l7w7N4Vr1dw4/200.gif

We had a clinic last night skipped it since it was a 1040 start time. If it was a game id be there. Next week is another clinic and ill head to that one as its at 9pm more doable. Hate having to wait 2 weeks for another game.

beedee
July 26th, 2016, 01:17 PM

We had a clinic last night skipped it since it was a 1040 start time. If it was a game id be there. Next week is another clinic and ill head to that one as its at 9pm more doable. Hate having to wait 2 weeks for another game.

I did the same thing to all of the rookie clinics after seeing how lame the very first one was. Back to back clinics is rough, it sucks when having to wait so long to play another game. Bye weeks suck too, unless they are for a good reason.

Our next game is this Sunday at 7:05pm, i might be going off-roading up in Big Bear, so I'm not sure if I'll be back in time to play.

Peggy_GKG
July 26th, 2016, 04:36 PM

You didn't miss much. A few Gulls were there. We worked on slapshots a bit which was rather comical since most of the people there can barely get one going. Fortunately we have a guy on our team with a laser, I've gotten a few deflections of blasts from the point but haven't gotten anything to go in yet, that's one of my goals for the season is to score on a deflection. There were only 12 skaters there last night from all 4 teams so don't feel bad about not making it.

xLAxKingsx
July 27th, 2016, 07:41 AM
You didn't miss much. A few Gulls were there. We worked on slapshots a bit which was rather comical since most of the people there can barely get one going. Fortunately we have a guy on our team with a laser, I've gotten a few deflections of blasts from the point but haven't gotten anything to go in yet, that's one of my goals for the season is to score on a deflection. There were only 12 skaters there last night from all 4 teams so don't feel bad about not making it.

Damn sounds like plenty of good open ice to practice on. Ill be there for Thursday clinic though ill be heading to KHS for some weekend stick time. Dude on our team with the clapper comes as a laser i was down low for one by the time my stick went up for a possible deflection his shot already hit the goalie https://media2.giphy.com/media/cRq8TJsIKmQRG/200.gif Ill be working on my forward to backwards transition in these 2 weeks its affecting my game big time having my back to the play.

jammer06
July 29th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Well I hate to say it but i'm running into a similar experience as beedee. Our goalie is simply not very good. I wouldn't mind so much except he blew his cool last night and the meltdown happened for a few reasons.
1) They had six skaters, in his mind he was thinking automatic win. I watched two of their guys in warmups and thought oh **** our only chance is to keep the puck away from those guys
2) One of their good guys had an absolute laser of a shot, quick release too. All game long if we forced him wide or into an early shot he was taking head shots at our goalie. Hit him in the mask three times. He was clearly trying to get him hot....and it worked.
3) We were up 4-2 in the third and one of their not so good guys wristed a floater from the point. Instead of dropping down our goalie tried a good ol' fashioned kick save, missed and the puck went off the inside of his leg and into the net. An absolute terrible goal
4) Immediately after that sensing blood their best guy with the laser shot pushed forward off the faceoff. I was on the ice and knew it was coming so he came straight in on me one on one. I was coming right to left and i'm a lefty so I was on my backhand with the sweep and he was on his forehand. I sweep the puck and his stick, and it pops straight up into his chest and of course he pushes it forward onto his backhand getting an inside step into the lane and an easy slot goal on our still fuming goalie. I know I played it right but it would have been better if I got my stick in position and swept back forehand to push him to the corner. Bad timing to have that play bounce wrong.
5) One of the rookies on our team calls time out immediately following this.....terrible idea. The goalie is pissed this guys been beating him all night and he doesn't really want to talk about it so he bitches instead.
6) We stay in it tied up until about 2 minutes to go when the good guy comes breaking down the wing again on his forehand. I force him wide to the dot and he knows he cant cut the middle so he winds up to shoot. Well it hits our goalies blocker and bounces backwards in for the go ahead goal.

Now all of this wouldn't have bothered me so badly except our goalie kept fuming after the game. The comments were stupid too, "I can't believe we let one guy beat us" "We should have skated them off the rink' all kinds of ignorant comments but the one that chapped my ass was when he said our D was one handing it all night and letting him shoot. I'm not quite sure what he was getting at but of course we were and its not like we weren't trying to get our stick in front of his but the dude was good so we needed him to commit to the shot and his release was fast so we couldn't get there. The fact that he let in two terrible goals never popped out of his mouth.

If I was playing competitively I would say I don't mind goalie head cases if they are good. But I'm not playing competitively and I'll be honest I can't deal with goalies giving terrible advice to the team that is bad hockey and also won't help you win. Anyway I've found a rink closer to the house and I'm going to be a little more serious about checking the league situation there.

beedee
August 1st, 2016, 09:35 AM
We lost, 10-1. My D linemate score our only goal, a clapper from the point. Offense continues to fail to produce, goalie continues to let in soft goals (6 last night.)

http://img.pandawhale.com/4869-panda-destroying-computers-in-btGX.gif

Take a look at this Goals Against stat for our team, pretty sad, or impressive depending on how you look at it. (I have highlighted our team's row)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/bretdee/lol.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bretdee/media/lol.jpg.html)

And the extra kick in the nuts is, we have a game at 10:35pm tonight.....
https://media3.giphy.com/media/fjXSwNcLyADjG/giphy.gif

LetTigerIn
August 1st, 2016, 09:58 AM
Take a look at this Goals Against stat for our team, pretty sad, or impressive depending on how you look at it. (I have highlighted our team's row)

At least you are more aptly named than the Snipers.

xLAxKingsx
August 1st, 2016, 02:17 PM
At least you are more aptly named than the Snipers.

I was thinking the same thing lol.

That sucks beedee good luck on your game tonight thought hopefully the forwards show up for you.

beedee
August 2nd, 2016, 09:19 AM
I didn't play in our game last night, but it looks like we won, 1-0.

xLAxKingsx
August 2nd, 2016, 01:13 PM
I didn't play in our game last night, but it looks like we won, 1-0.

You play you lose... You dont play your team wins... Its not looking good. beedee https://media3.giphy.com/media/v0eHX3n28wvoQ/200.gif

beedee
August 2nd, 2016, 03:14 PM
My co worker said the same thing.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/dtrudeau54/Blank%20Stare%20What%20Face%20Palm/tumblr_mlbxaqKdGu1rhi0rbo1_250_zps0ff6c595.gif (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/dtrudeau54/media/Blank%20Stare%20What%20Face%20Palm/tumblr_mlbxaqKdGu1rhi0rbo1_250_zps0ff6c595.gif.htm l)

beedee
August 7th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Got some new skates yesterday at the Hockey Giant sale. Currently at Lakewood trying to break them in at a Public Skate. I forgot how bad it sucks breaking in new skates!

On top of that, my Grafs have a forward lean holder, putting you more on your toes when skating. Bauer does not have that lean, and it feels like I'm learning to skate all over again! :|

Here they are, Bauer Vapor x500, size 7 EE. To be honest they weren't even on my radar but gave them a shot after trying on a CCM Tacks, CCM Jetspeed, Bauer Supreme and a Bauer Nexus. These Vapors had the best heel lock and feel out of all of the skates I tried on.

We have a game Monday at 9, my feet will still throb, and I'll feel like a noob.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/bretdee/F3D2122C-7BE0-42E6-8029-6C06D15207FB.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bretdee/media/F3D2122C-7BE0-42E6-8029-6C06D15207FB.jpg.html)

beedee
August 7th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Here is a side-by-side pic next to my old Grafs. The Bauer holder sits 3mm taller, so that felt a bit weird as well. I felt pretty good by the end of the session but far from 100% comfortable. Tomorrow nights game should be interesting. One other thing to note, my legs felt fatigued in a different way than they did in my Grafs. The lack of forward lean certainly places your weight further back and makes your muscles work differently.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/bretdee/448CF1EA-8676-4D7A-AFD8-3C4BC40F1E85.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bretdee/media/448CF1EA-8676-4D7A-AFD8-3C4BC40F1E85.jpg.html)

xLAxKingsx
August 7th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Nice pick up beedee is the sale any good? Never been.

We played Saturday night and man was it a good game. Really tight it was 9 of us total 3 d and 7 forwards. We didn't have a goalie either but got a guy coming of the ice from earlier game to sub for us.

Game was tight it was gonna come down to lucky goals and it sure did went into 3rd period down 2 got 1 in with 3 mins left and we tied it with 20 seconds left. We literally all crashed the net and walked at it till someone slipped it in. I think only reason we kinda lucked out is the sub goalie was pretty good and made some great saves I think our goalie woulda let in. But we didn't quit and got the win on a shoot out. Peggy_GKG picked up 2 assists too. We have 1 more reg season game then playoffs. We are tied for first now. I need to get a ****ing goalie next game. Lol can't go out without one damnit.

beedee
August 8th, 2016, 09:27 AM
The sale was pretty good...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/bretdee/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-08%20at%209.25.42%20AM.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bretdee/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-08%20at%209.25.42%20AM.png.html)

beedee
August 9th, 2016, 09:40 AM
We won last night, 8-7! The team we played was in the "upper" level of our division. The game was back and forth and at one point we were up by 2 goals, a major milestone for this team. Unfortunately I had a goal go off of my leg from about 8 feet out front. I was backing up to give the tendy a clear view of the shot and it just clipped my right shin pad, and with homie playing so deep in the net, there was no way he would be able to get a piece of it. All in all we played great though, passing was good, great o'zone time and back checking was prevalent. The game wasn't as close as the score, I'd say at least 4 goals were softies. I know I sound like a broken record, but it is going to be hard to be competitive with those types of goals being given up every game. I didn't really activate much, due to being on the new skates and getting a feel for them. Lets talk about that.

After only having one hour or so on the new skates at a public session I was kind of anxious to see how the game would go. I got to the rink plenty early so I could lace up the skates in the locker room and let my feet warm up in them, walk around in them and try to help with the break-in process. I had them laced all the way up, which at the time wasn't too bad, because I was walking around and not skating. Once it was time to hit the ice, I quickly discovered that lacing them all the way up greatly hindered my mobility, I felt like Frankenstein out there. With a minute or so left in warm-ups, I went to the bench, and undid the laces, leaving the top eyelet empty. This made a WORLD of difference, ahhh, my feet had mobility, suddenly I was free! See the image I attached below to see the difference in boot height, and eyelet height. As you can see, the Bauer's top eyelet sits almost one full eyelet length higher than my Grafs. This is what made me feel like I was Frankenstein. So when I undid the top eyelet, it was like being all the way to the top in my Grafs. My boot still felt stable, and I was happy with the new found mobility.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/bretdee/eyelets.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bretdee/media/eyelets.jpg.html)

During the game it took me about two periods to feel about 85% comfortable in the skates. The taller profile of the overall skate kept messing with my stops, mainly my inside foot. It kept dragging and almost was chopping when I would do hard stops. That extra height really makes a big difference. Towards the end of the game I was feeling better with my stops, as I was able to drive my front foot into the ice better, elminating the chop/skip effect. Transitions from forwards to backwards came much quicker than I thought, and I actually like being more flat in the Bauer than I did with the forward lean of the Graf when skating backwards. Maybe it is all in my head, but I felt more balanced and was able to drive my backward crossovers and c-cuts much harder and more efficiently in the Bauers. I'm still getting used to the turning sensation on the taller boot, but that was becoming more natural by games end as well. The overall pain factor wasn't nearly as brutal as I anticipated, in fact, I didn't even develop any blisters, which means my foot was locked it quite well, right? I'm looking forward to skating in them again and again, then I'll really be able to notice the difference in performance once I am fully adjusted to them. :)

Oh yeah, we have a two game winning streak!
http://i.imgur.com/tHxwK.gif

jammer06
August 9th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Finally got back on the ice last night. Same team we played last time, still undefeated and a couple divisions above us. This time they had 9 skaters but no goalie. Worse they had 3 more of their good guys that weren't in the last game and our side had 8 skaters (and a goalie). We ended up losing 10-9 and honestly if our D hadn't pushed the puck end to end as many times as we had it would have been a disaster. They had some really nifty guys with the puck and it seemed like every entry was a 3-2 because the forwards were constantly gassed and not coming back. Every time they came in it was a clinic in passing, defensively we were in the right spots but we couldn't break them up and the goalie was getting torched back door.

I will say that it was a good effort from our back end. Goalie got hot again and this time some other folks in the room calmed him down which I appreciated. I was a bit bummed about one chance I had though. There was about 20 seconds to go in the first and I pulled a puck out of a scramble in front of our net and looked up to see nothing between me and the net (besides a skater hanging back protecting the empty net) so I airmailed a shot and I rang it off the goddamned post.

Only other item of consequence on the night was one of their players flipped a shot at our goalie way after a whistle for offsides. I yelled at him and he played innocent until I slashed him across the stick. The refs calmed things down but thankfully they didn't give me a call so I felt like I had a good feel for what I did. The guy was one of their best players so I knew he knew what he was doing. It didn't end up with a fight in the parking lot anyway so that was nice.

jammer06
August 11th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Found this on deadspin at lunch. Some classic comments listed and always good to know just how bad those bags smell
Smelliest Sports, Ranked (http://adequateman.deadspin.com/smelliest-sports-ranked-1785153245?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

xLAxKingsx
August 11th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Found this on deadspin at lunch. Some classic comments listed and always good to know just how bad those bags smell
Smelliest Sports, Ranked (http://adequateman.deadspin.com/smelliest-sports-ranked-1785153245?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

You know hockey is bad that even when you enter a locker room at 6 am after it being cleaned and not used for atleast 6 hours still makes you gag as you enter. Im talking about you KHS holy **** that day was extra bad.

beedee
August 11th, 2016, 01:58 PM

Reminds me of the time when myself, our goalie and my defense partner left our bags in my moms volvo wagon over night back in 1991, good thing she had an empty stomach if you catch my drift!

mudfisher
August 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM
LOL.

We had a team friend do some stitching of lettering and front logo patch. Everyone but 1 guy(who didn't do jack to clean his jersey) double/triple washed our jersey's and let them air dry outside before giving them to her.

The next week when she delivered the jersey's everyone who the 11 of us who gave her a clean jersey had full perfect stitching. The last guy had 3 1/2 letters stitched and no logo on his jersey.

Her reason. She got sick from the smell after 2.5 minutes of sewing. She then tried washing it to remove the stench but it wouldn't go away. So she just refused to complete it and left it the way it was.

Air out your gear and wash your jersey's and socks boys and girls.

xLAxKingsx
August 15th, 2016, 08:20 AM
So we had our final regular season game Saturday. We played the 4th place team who we beat 8-1 previous game. I havent scored a goal all season and it still didnt happen https://media3.giphy.com/media/3t7RAFhu75Wwg/200.gif Everyone showed up so running 3 lines sucked cause it was very little ice time. But i had a few very good looks in 3rd we where up 9-1 and team really tried feeding me passes and all that to get me that goal which i appreciated. https://media3.giphy.com/media/NvwLXMoF3fUze/200.gif Also according to David i had the girl in our team yelling for me to score as if she was having a orgasm. https://media4.giphy.com/media/iy7zgbCUlSQr6/200.gif But other than that we played as good as we have been. We got 1st place! Peggy_GKG had 2 ****ing nice goals i got on video so ill pull that from go pro and throw it up on here to see. He also got the game puck for having the longest point all season 7 games! Almost 2 ppg. https://media3.giphy.com/media/CkZnkdzGfvBio/200.gif

Playoffs are next our first game is against the 2nd place team who are good and we have a tight game against. Hopefully we end up winning it all. Despite the no goals its been a fun first season for me getting on the ice weekly is great and its helping me improve overall. I will have a goal before the season ends though cant go out without it. I still need alot of work though but its in progress. I will be playing next season aswell at Anahiem Ice seemed decent and wouldnt mind playing again with some of the people in our current team if they stick around.

beedee
August 15th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Nice job on finishing the regular season with a convincing win fellas! And yes, 3 lines sucks, because no matter how hard (or not) people try to take short shifts, it just doesn't ever work out that way! That is a bummer about not being able to put one in for yourself, but it will come, and when it does, that chic on your team toes will curl so hard they bust out of her skates!!! What time is your guys game next weekend?
https://media.giphy.com/media/rBa8Ryrj2yeOY/giphy.gif

So on to our game. Got to the rink around 9:00pm 50 minutes before game time (9:50pm), my usual arrival time. Our goalie was there and I noticed the other game had just started, he said they were running about 30 minutes behind...great. Anyhow, we lost 7-4, goalie gave up his usual 3-4 soft goals. I had another goal go off my skate and in.....for the other team.
https://media.giphy.com/media/rVSZrFGySmllC/giphy.gif

Overall, our team seems to be picking up and meshing really well. We had 10 skaters again, so two even lines. In the 2nd period we had a power play that actually looked like a power play! Truly a unicorn in Beer League.
https://67.media.tumblr.com/e63c2d2ca05b3bf8a7bab502804fcbf6/tumblr_niagrfUTZ61rxf6yzo1_250.gif

During the PP, I got off 3 shots from the point, two clappers and one wrister. The wrister was cool because it was all one continuous motion as i got the pass from down low, back out to be on the point. As it banked off the boards, I was coasting backwards along the blue line (from the left point) and received the pass, walked the blue line with a couple backward crossovers and ripped it. I was hoping for a redirect, in which it did, but went wide. The other two clappers felt great as well, I got all of them, and nailed one of our guys just below the knee, he apologized profusely for blocking it (he was a few feet in front of the crease). The next shot I had all the time in the world to set up, I was trying to go high blocker and went about medium blocker, the goalie managed to save it in between his arm and torso. I had many of those as a goalie, and they are heart stoppers, because they were millimeters from squeaking through!
https://media.riffsy.com/images/74d3dc0e534efd0501527d4db10cb95c/raw

Even though we lost, it was nice to continue to get goals on the board for our team. We are now 4-5 on the season. Two of our top players will be out next week, one center and one defenseman, this will hurt. Speaking of hurting, me feet didn't hurt in my skates, stoked they are breaking in quite nicely!

xLAxKingsx
August 15th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Yea no one was taking short shifts after first period when i only got 3mins of ice time i said **** it and took it upon myself to play 4:30 next 2 periods of ice time and split it up. I didnt mind the time but only having 1 shift a period sucked but at least it was equal time. Ill get my goal one way or another and i would not mind seeing her burst out of everything when i do. https://media1.giphy.com/media/OMEQYOFyweMI8/200.gif As long as its not Peggy_GKG dont wanna get back to the locker room and... https://media1.giphy.com/media/PtmrFBPhLaIeI/200.gif

Btw thats good that you guys are getting some scoring in! Its gotta be tough when you have a pretty bad goalie. Team we beat 9-2 ended 1-8 every game was a minimum loss of 5 GA. Sure its rookie league but im sure people still wanna win and knowing your goalie is gonna get blown out sucks. Hopefully you guys turn it around in upcoming games!

Also we play at 850pm this coming Saturday i believe.

xLAxKingsx
August 22nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/TAvyoZhfIQvTO/200.gif

Thats how yesterdays first playoff game felt. We had both our centers that are good not be able to make it to the game. We played the 2nd place team which we barely edged out for 1st place so they are good. We had a decent game for being short players at a point we had a 2 goal lead. Of course at that moment they went hard playing all their top guys and tied it up. We went back up by 1 and they tied it on a shot I went for a block and i felt it hit my shin guard and not sure if that got misdirected and went in or got it stuffed in. Either way i screwed that up should have taken a better lane to block the shot. We went to SO and we couldnt bury one and they finally got a goal in and that was that. Everyone had a rough/good game now its on to the next in about a week and a few days.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Cqi1zrDJproGs/200.gif

beedee
August 24th, 2016, 11:18 PM
I missed our game Sunday night due to this cold/flu that I am finally recovering from. Looked up the scoresheet to see how we did, we lost.....12-0.

LetTigerIn
August 24th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I missed our game Sunday night due to this cold/flu that I am finally recovering from. Looked up the scoresheet to see how we did, we lost.....12-0.

Dang. Strangely enough, I missed a game Sunday due to my little cousin's birthday, but several of our other players, including our top scorer, were also out sick. I just checked our score, too… lost 11-0.

beedee
August 25th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Dang. Strangely enough, I missed a game Sunday due to my little cousin's birthday, but several of our other players, including our top scorer, were also out sick. I just checked our score, too… lost 11-0.

thats crazy! i guess we only had one sub on the bench as well.

jammer06
August 26th, 2016, 05:51 AM
So I tried out the "rec" league that's at a rink lots closer to my house....Hooooly **** those guys are good. On our side there was 5 kids about 20 years old straight out of High School/College hockey. On their side there were at least 5 more of the same and these 2 old timers that looked like former pro's. Anyway our side got pounded but it was awesome for me. The boys on the team invited me back for next week so I must not have been as terrible as i thought. It's a refreshing change to be a winger on a team and if I can stick I'll finally feel like i'm getting better again for the first time in a long time. I will say I ended up playing center more and more as the night went on and I'm pretty certain I didn't lose a draw...so I had that going for me.

The funniest part of it all is I've been having lots of trouble with my feet in my skates since the move. Last night, I was skating so hard there was no trouble at all. My feet never even felt tired. I honestly think most of my trouble was the fact that I was standing around so much on the ice with the other guys.

mudfisher
August 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM
So I tried out the "rec" league that's at a rink lots closer to my house....Hooooly **** those guys are good. On our side there was 5 kids about 20 years old straight out of High School/College hockey. On their side there were at least 5 more of the same and these 2 old timers that looked like former pro's. Anyway our side got pounded but it was awesome for me. The boys on the team invited me back for next week so I must not have been as terrible as i thought. It's a refreshing change to be a winger on a team and if I can stick I'll finally feel like i'm getting better again for the first time in a long time. I will say I ended up playing center more and more as the night went on and I'm pretty certain I didn't lose a draw...so I had that going for me.

The funniest part of it all is I've been having lots of trouble with my feet in my skates since the move. Last night, I was skating so hard there was no trouble at all. My feet never even felt tired. I honestly think most of my trouble was the fact that I was standing around so much on the ice with the other guys.

Sounds awesome.

Good Luck!

beedee
August 26th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Nice Jammer! Sounds like a positive and refreshing change, good stuff!

beedee
August 30th, 2016, 09:30 AM
We won last night, in OT, 3-2!!!

The opponent was a Bronze A team, we are Bronze B. This is the second time we have beat an upper level team, pretty sweet. To be honest, they only had 2 players that clearly should be on a Silver level team, but that was about it. Our team got off to a quick 2-0 in the first period, and that was it for our offense. They scored both of their goals in the second period. No one really dominated puck possession and I can count on one hand how many times I was set up on our blue line while play was in their zone. To make matters a little more frustrating, their goalie was terrible, had we been able to really get a bunch of shots on goal, we would have certainly had more than 3 goals! Nothing significant to report about my individual efforts, no shots on goal for me, I take that back, I did have one back hander from about 10' inside the blue line as I moved from my left to right. I was kind of shielding the center with my body as he was reaching for the puck, I was able to get pretty good velocity on it and it came in about 2-3' off the ice, went off someone's arm and then up and over the net. I wasn't on the ice for either of their goals, so that was a good thing. The last 5 seconds were a nail biter as their ringer had the puck and a few steps on my weak D partner, he got beat around the outside and was coming in from the left wing boards to cut across the slot to get a shot off. I managed to get back, BARELY and gave him a hefty hook across the gut, just enough to disrupt his shot. Our goalie made the save and we were headed into OT.

14 seconds into OT, we score. I blinked, so I missed it.

This win puts us at 5-6, with a solid hold on 3rd place with 10 points, lmao. First place has 20 points and second place has 14.

Oh yeah, did I mention that our regular goalie wasn't there??? And we had Cal State Long Beach's goalie playing for us!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4412252/winks-from-magnum-pi-o.gif

jammer06
August 30th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Monday night we played the same damned team again, still undefeated and again they beat us by one goal, 2-1. We carried a lot of the play and honestly deserved the win. The pisser of it all is again the game winning goal came when I forced their best player wide, he shot from below but outside the dots, our goalie blocked it straight up, and it came down on his back and rolled in. It was a bit demoralizing and it again happened with about 130 to go in the game. I did manage a rush right after that but I was so dog tired all I could do was get off a quick wrister that I thought would handcuff him blocker side but he managed to squeeze down on it. I did get our sides only goal to tie it up, wrap around that I swear never works i managed to open my hips up and actually get out in front of the net and it felt amazingly easy. It also helped that the D had crashed into the goalie when I went around so there was nobody waiting far post to blow me up.

One more game to go with this team and then I really have to decide what I'm going to do. Tough decisions but we'll see how it goes.

LetTigerIn
August 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM
We lost a closely skated game Sunday. Score was 2-4. I didn't think I was going to play, because I got sick a little before I was to leave the house. My gear was already in the car, so I went to the car to retrieve it, but instead hopped in and drove to the rink. I felt a lot better after the skate, so, at least in this case, hockey is the best medicine. It was a close, competitive and fun game to skate. The other team seemed to play us a little physical, but nothing out of control until near the end when one of their guys kept jamming on our down goalie after the whistle. Our captain picked up a double minor for his reaction, but I think he did the right thing to stand up for the goalie.

I got a few terrible shots off, generally skated well, and caused a lot of havoc, but the big takeaway for me, probably, is that I nearly crushed some girl a third of my size, probably literally. She was playing D, coming out with the puck from behind the net, and I was coming hard on the forecheck. I mainly was trying to force her into making a bad pass, but she kept the puck until I was right on her. It was not a hard collision, but the size difference was palpable. I had stopped, so she did not go backward, just straight down, but she stayed down for a ten count before getting up. She was okay, but it was still a little scare.

jammer06
August 30th, 2016, 01:07 PM
If it makes you feel any better I had my own scare where I got on a contested breakaway and a dude dove behind me to swipe at the puck, I got my skates tangled up there but thought I had it under control, lifted a backhand and immediately realized I had no skates to turn with and plowed the goalie right in the chest. His head went into the center bar and it was scary for a moment. I asked the guys back on the bench what happened and they all said the goalie poke checked my legs right out.

The other scary part of the game for me was transitioning back on D I hit a rut cutting back and sliced my own damned leg with my skate. It was just a scratch but my socks a goner.

xLAxKingsx
August 30th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Tonight at 850 on a ****ing tuesday! We have a do or die game. Its a must win if we trying to play in the final we currently sit in 3rd place with 1 point and 2 games left. Need to win both to advance. Looks like we are also gonna be short a few players and we are playing a team that isnt great but isnt bad so its gonna be a toss up. Hope we get the W. Plus im still scoreless hope today that changes.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/y5vRQppafjUKA/200.gif

LetTigerIn
August 30th, 2016, 02:01 PM
If it makes you feel any better I had my own scare where I got on a contested breakaway and a dude dove behind me to swipe at the puck, I got my skates tangled up there but thought I had it under control, lifted a backhand and immediately realized I had no skates to turn with and plowed the goalie right in the chest. His head went into the center bar and it was scary for a moment. I asked the guys back on the bench what happened and they all said the goalie poke checked my legs right out.

The other scary part of the game for me was transitioning back on D I hit a rut cutting back and sliced my own damned leg with my skate. It was just a scratch but my socks a goner.

Ouch for the goalie, and ouch for you! Sometimes, I'll find some slices in my socks. No cuts yet from blades, but my skates will gash my calf pretty deep if I don't wear Kevlar skate socks.

LetTigerIn
August 30th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Tonight at 850 on a ****ing tuesday! We have a do or die game. Its a must win if we trying to play in the final we currently sit in 3rd place with 1 point and 2 games left. Need to win both to advance. Looks like we are also gonna be short a few players and we are playing a team that isnt great but isnt bad so its gonna be a toss up. Hope we get the W. Plus im still scoreless hope today that changes.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/y5vRQppafjUKA/200.gif

Good luck!

xLAxKingsx
August 30th, 2016, 11:31 PM
:/

Nyssa42
August 31st, 2016, 01:02 AM
well, I have dropped down a level this season....to the newly-created D7 at Pano....so far my team is 0-2 with me playing, although last week we came back from being down 5-1 at the end of the first period to pull ahead 6-5 with 7 mins left. Gave one up for the tie late in the game and lost in the shootout (no OT in this league) because our goalie had BROKEN HER ARM in the first period!!
This week I was assigned to be the #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) winger....yes, sad but true, that is where I would place myself on this team as well. Had several good chances, including a great SOG at the end of the game, but we just couldn't get any momentum and lost 3-1. Next game I'm getting a goal!! (I've been playing D for the past year, so not quite used to hanging out around the net)

xLAxKingsx
August 31st, 2016, 07:55 AM
Tough loss last night. Game as usual against this team was tight and it came down to SO this is the 3 time out of 4 games we have gone to SO against this team. The goal karma worked slightly as i had some great opportunities 1 clear shot went right behind the the goalie. I was to parallel left post side and hoped for a bounce of his back but it went right to the other side. https://media4.giphy.com/media/YLgIOmtIMUACY/200.gif Now we are out of the Final picture unless 1st place team loses in regulation next game and we win our final game. It would tie us for 2 and we own the tie breaker. Its been a fun season with only 2 more games to go ill def be back next season. Being on the ice constantly has helped me greatly. I still need to work on my stopping and skating with a good knee bend https://media0.giphy.com/media/fhPWUsN6JGaAw/200.gif

beedee
August 31st, 2016, 09:35 AM
Tough loss last night. Game as usual against this team was tight and it came down to SO this is the 3 time out of 4 games we have gone to SO against this team. The goal karma worked slightly as i had some great opportunities 1 clear shot went right behind the the goalie. I was to parallel left post side and hoped for a bounce of his back but it went right to the other side. Now we are out of the Final picture unless 1st place team loses in regulation next game and we win our final game. It would tie us for 2 and we own the tie breaker. Its been a fun season with only 2 more games to go ill def be back next season. Being on the ice constantly has helped me greatly. I still need to work on my stopping and skating with a good knee bend

But did Peggy_GKG drop the gloves?

In all seriousness, bummer about another SO loss. That is crazy how many times you guys have gone into the SO with that team!

LetTigerIn
August 31st, 2016, 09:41 AM
I still need to work on my stopping and skating with a good knee bend

I hope you make it to the finals. As for the knee bend, I've been told by a reliable source that if you don't think you're skating with enough knee bend that keeping your bottom hand a little lower on your stick than you think you should can help get you to skate deeper without thinking about it too much.

beedee
August 31st, 2016, 09:53 AM
Maybe post a video of you skating and we can offer up some suggestions?

xLAxKingsx
August 31st, 2016, 02:17 PM
But did Peggy_GKG drop the gloves?

In all seriousness, bummer about another SO loss. That is crazy how many times you guys have gone into the SO with that team!

Lulz Dave was sick before the game but toughed it out. There was one instance where i think he was about to drop em though!

Ill have to post a vid of my terrible skating for the pointers ill dig for one up! Btw here are some pics of the team one of our teammates couldnt play so he snapped some pictures.

Peggy_GKG taking a face off im to his left

http://i65.tinypic.com/293i06x.jpg

Dave finding his inner looch fighting for space infront.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nzhy75.jpg

Line change! Me in the white helmet and dave to my right.

http://i63.tinypic.com/16ophd.jpg

LetTigerIn
August 31st, 2016, 02:44 PM
Oof. Orange vs Red. Must be fun for the refs!

beedee
August 31st, 2016, 03:10 PM
Nice pix man, looked like you guys were having fun! And like LTI said, Orange v.s. Red, yikes.

P.S.
Someone tell Dave to lower his hands on his stick and get his feet wide when he is taking a face off. (unless he was trying to bat it forward to the other teams D)
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvheegzadY1qjqzoeo7_250.gif

Peggy_GKG
September 6th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Nice pix man, looked like you guys were having fun! And like LTI said, Orange v.s. Red, yikes.

P.S.
Someone tell Dave to lower his hands on his stick and get his feet wide when he is taking a face off. (unless he was trying to bat it forward to the other teams D)
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvheegzadY1qjqzoeo7_250.gif
Yeah those pics seem like they were taken right at a weird time, I certainly don't remember holding the stick that high up or being that upright during the faceoffs. But I guess it's possible. I don't typically play Center so I'm not particularly versed at faceoffs but I knew I'd be playing C that night so I tried to make sure I was doing it at least a little right. It was definitely easier for me to go to the forehand rather than backhand. Fortunately looks like I'm back to my usual position at RW for our last two games.

beedee
September 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
No games for us this past holiday weekend. We are back at it on Monday. I wonder if we'll reach the .500 mark? We are 5-6 right now.

Nyssa42
September 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Don't mean to brag, but....yes I do....I am heading out to St. Louis Blues Fantasy Camp tomorrow (It's Thurs-Sat). I'll give an update when I can move again.....we play 2 full 60 games each afternoon (no morning games). So 6 games in 3 days. And most of mine are on the Olympic sized ice. And, of course, my "bad" shoulder has been giving me a lot of trouble the past few days. Gonna be a weekend of booze and Advil. My team name is Let's Go Booze.....

Peggy_GKG
September 6th, 2016, 12:20 PM
So we had our final regular season game Saturday. We played the 4th place team who we beat 8-1 previous game. I havent scored a goal all season and it still didnt happen https://media3.giphy.com/media/3t7RAFhu75Wwg/200.gif Everyone showed up so running 3 lines sucked cause it was very little ice time. But i had a few very good looks in 3rd we where up 9-1 and team really tried feeding me passes and all that to get me that goal which i appreciated. https://media3.giphy.com/media/NvwLXMoF3fUze/200.gif Also according to David i had the girl in our team yelling for me to score as if she was having a orgasm. https://media4.giphy.com/media/iy7zgbCUlSQr6/200.gif But other than that we played as good as we have been. We got 1st place! Peggy_GKG had 2 ****ing nice goals i got on video so ill pull that from go pro and throw it up on here to see. He also got the game puck for having the longest point all season 7 games! Almost 2 ppg. https://media3.giphy.com/media/CkZnkdzGfvBio/200.gif

Playoffs are next our first game is against the 2nd place team who are good and we have a tight game against. Hopefully we end up winning it all. Despite the no goals its been a fun first season for me getting on the ice weekly is great and its helping me improve overall. I will have a goal before the season ends though cant go out without it. I still need alot of work though but its in progress. I will be playing next season aswell at Anahiem Ice seemed decent and wouldnt mind playing again with some of the people in our current team if they stick around.

Need to see those videos bro! Those were probably the two nicest goals I've ever scored. First one I chipped the puck off the defender's stick right inside their blue line and then took off on the breakaway, lifted a nice shot over the goalie's left shoulder right from the middle of the slot, he didn't have a chance. Second one I don't remember as cleanly but I'm pretty sure I was coming down the right hand side into the zone, took a pass and lifted a shot over his RIGHT shoulder and off the post into the net, definitely handcuffed him.

Best part of that game though probably no one noticed, all night one of their guys was on me pretty good, just being a general pest, lifting the stick, boxing me out, playing tight on me. Towards the end of the game he got the puck and I was deep in their zone. He started skating up and I gave chase, eventually caught him from behind as he reached our blue line, got the puck off his stick and chipped it deep into the zone, then skated past him and took control for the clear. I doubt anyone gave that much attention but especially since it was late in the game I was rather proud of myself for making a pretty solid defensive play.

Unfortunately that game was the last one I've scored in, gone scoreless in our next two which is weighing a bit heavy on me. Good news our next game is against this same team and I usually do pretty well against them so it should be a good opportunity to get back on the score sheet. This one is a must win if we want to play for the Championship.

beedee
September 6th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Yes, we need to see the videos! Nice job on that back-check man, those are the types of plays that typically go un-noticed by the average joe'schmoe, but we here on LGK appreciate those types of plays!

daxx
September 11th, 2016, 11:02 AM
AAAAAAAAGGGGHGGHHHHH!!!! Teams that sandbag really (expletive)ing piss me off! We've had the same 8 guys on our roster for 4 seasons, and we've played in the same division the entire time. We know the guys in that div and we know who is/isn't a ringer. We played against a team that is captained by a friend of ours, and we didn't think he'd stoop to this level to win a beer mug. I guess he did this time.
Only 3 of the 9 guys had legit team jerseys, the other 6 were a hodgepodge of other jerseys. This tells me that they're subbing. Second, one guy played on a different team in the season than the team we just played today. Also, some 6'8" Chara clone comes out of nowhere and plays defense like a Div1 or Div2 guy, and not like the Div6 league we were playing in.
Needless to say we were pissed. Hacks, slashes, and trips oh my! We got beat 9-5. Not fun at all. I was so pissed I didn't shake hands after the game.

I think I'm going to take a break from playing hockey, or just find a new rink.

Nyssa42
September 11th, 2016, 07:41 PM
AAAAAAAAGGGGHGGHHHHH!!!! Teams that sandbag really (expletive)ing piss me off! We've had the same 8 guys on our roster for 4 seasons, and we've played in the same division the entire time. We know the guys in that div and we know who is/isn't a ringer. We played against a team that is captained by a friend of ours, and we didn't think he'd stoop to this level to win a beer mug. I guess he did this time.
Only 3 of the 9 guys had legit team jerseys, the other 6 were a hodgepodge of other jerseys. This tells me that they're subbing. Second, one guy played on a different team in the season than the team we just played today. Also, some 6'8" Chara clone comes out of nowhere and plays defense like a Div1 or Div2 guy, and not like the Div6 league we were playing in.
Needless to say we were pissed. Hacks, slashes, and trips oh my! We got beat 9-5. Not fun at all. I was so pissed I didn't shake hands after the game.

unfortunately, I think it is like this at every rink, everywhere. In the world.

LetTigerIn
September 12th, 2016, 06:27 AM
We lost a game 6-2 where we had 7 skaters against a full bench. I tweaked my knew in the first period, but it feels great today. My right wrist and shoulder, on the other hand? ugh.

Everybody played hard, and we were competitive up until we got gassed. I was so beat up and tired at one point that I pinned a guy on the boards to earn an interference call. The penalty was not my intent, but nothing to complain about, either.

Overall, I'm not happy with my play. I felt I could have played harder, but I was not going full bore on my sore knee; but on the good side, my positioning and play-reading were decent, and I got my only two face-offs.

16scores
September 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Out of remembrance for 9/11, I thought it would be a good idea for us to take a brief moment of silence at the start of our game. The other captain and his team were on board and I discussed it with my team in the room. Refs were to drop the puck and we would hold play for 11 seconds. Well, the refs dropped the puck and as we all stood there P. Diddy starts screaming my name... he could not understand why we were not moving and standing over the loose puck.

beedee
September 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM

I've done both (multiple times), and even switched to goalie. Same ish, different rink.

unfortunately, I think it is like this at every rink, everywhere. In the world.
Truth.

Out of remembrance for 9/11, I thought it would be a good idea for us to take a brief moment of silence at the start of our game. The other captain and his team were on board and I discussed it with my team in the room. Refs were to drop the puck and we would hold play for 11 seconds. Well, the refs dropped the puck and as we all stood there P. Diddy starts screaming my name... he could not understand why we were not moving and standing over the loose puck.
Classic Diddy right there!

We are back in action tonight at 7:50pm, I think our normal goalie will be there.

beedee
September 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
We lost last night, 5-3. We didn't play bad per say, but I'm not sure what happened late in the 2nd, but we gave up nearly three goals in a row. Both teams had 9 skaters, so we rolled 3 defensemen, I was a bit gassed at times, but overall it wasn't too bad. The other team wasn't anything special and they lacked a ringer or two that other teams have. Maybe they do have one and he wasn't there? Nothing of any significance to report, I had a handful of SOG from the point, only 2 of the 5 made it all the way through to the goalie. Both teams put up over 30 SOG, this can't be right though, it says we had 37 SOG! lol! We do it again next Monday at 10:30pm, grrrrrreat, can't wait for that one.

Our record is now 5-7, still in third place. But we do lead the league in goals against, with 73!

Oh yeah, I did block a shot, or more like the guy shot it right into the outside of my left shin. I was about 3 feet away from it, so it hurt like a bitch. Initially I thought it might have cracked or broke my 10+ year old shin guard, but it didn't.

jammer06
September 16th, 2016, 06:30 AM
So i had my playoff game with the boys on the beginner type squad. 6 skaters and a goalie as the bottom seed against the number 1 seed.
We really held our own in this with a 1-0 lead after the first. In the second they got one on a PP and then I scored on a great pass from the corner to the slot. Unfortunately i also took a hooking penalty later on which proved to be their go ahead goal. I told the ref I thought he held my stick and fell down and the ref said "he's not diving, he just sucks." Small consolation for me I guess.
We almost tied it at the end of the 2nd but our guy rang one dead off the post.
Once we got to the third period though it was simply a matter of legs and with about 10 minutes to go we just couldn't move anymore and they swarmed for 4 goals. We took the TO and got our breaths and that really helped. We didn't give up anymore and we had a few more chances but to be honest they were all one and done breaks. Nobody could skate with anyone else, we were all too busy catching our breaths.
In any case the season was fun for what it was worth. I'll still go to the evaluation skate for winter and then I'll sort out where I'm going to play since it looks like the better team I hooked up with is having severe attendance issues.

xLAxKingsx
September 16th, 2016, 08:19 AM
We played our must win game last week and won 8-0. So we snuck into the Final game on the 25th! We technically tied for 2nd but we had the lowest PM so we get to go on. It will be against either 2 of the teams that we def have a back and fourth type of game so it should be really good. Gonna hit a few stick times to work on skating and stay moving instead of doing nothing for nearly 14 days. I did end up signing up for next season at AI so ill also have the draft skate session to help before our final game. Hope we win it!

Myk13
September 16th, 2016, 08:31 PM
anyone playing anywhere in San Diego? I need a new team/rink. My squad won our division here in Carlsbad but they won't let us sign up again in our current division because were "too good". The problem is the other nights do not fit my schedule. I love leagues that have websites and keep track of stats. We finished the year 14-4-0. Ended up with 24 G and 13 A to lead the team. First season playing hockey in 6 years. I feel Im getting back into the swing of things now. Went 3-0 in the playoffs obviously.

Also, I'll be playing pick up tonight in Carlsbad if anyone is in the area

jammer06
September 16th, 2016, 08:38 PM
anyone playing anywhere in San Diego? I need a new team/rink. My squad won our division here in Carlsbad but they won't let us sign up again in our current division because were "too good". The problem is the other nights do not fit my schedule. I love leagues that have websites and keep track of stats. We finished the year 14-4-0. Ended up with 24 G and 13 A.

Paging 16scores and P. Diddy

16scores
September 17th, 2016, 11:51 AM
anyone playing anywhere in San Diego? I need a new team/rink. My squad won our division here in Carlsbad but they won't let us sign up again in our current division because were "too good". The problem is the other nights do not fit my schedule. I love leagues that have websites and keep track of stats. We finished the year 14-4-0. Ended up with 24 G and 13 A to lead the team. First season playing hockey in 6 years. I feel Im getting back into the swing of things now. Went 3-0 in the playoffs obviously.

Paging 16scores (http://letsgokings.com/member.php?u=538) and P. Diddy (http://letsgokings.com/member.php?u=9949)

MSG sent.

P.I.T.A.
September 19th, 2016, 01:25 PM
How awesome is that cup!?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/phroggy1/received_10155409879979368.jpeg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/phroggy1/media/received_10155409879979368.jpeg.html)

GunShow?
September 19th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Anyone playing in the PDX area? Just moved

beedee
September 20th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Congrats P.I.T.A. that cup/keg thing'a'ma'bob is epic!

Last night our game was at 10:30pm, we won 4-3, in OT!

We rotated 3 defensemen and had two full forward lines. After being down 2-0 after the first period, things weren't looking too bad actually, but we were still down by 2. One of our defensemen (the good guy on the other line) stepped in goal for us and did a great job. Honestly, better than our regular goalie. We scored one in the second, in which I got credit for (that makes 3 goals for me that I got credit for but haven't scored so far) and then we scored two in the third to take the lead, 3-2! Well with under a minute left, they scored to tie it up and sent it to OT. I was out there for the first 2.5 minutes of OT and had two clappers from the point that made it through, about knee high, and the goalie gave up rebounds both time, but no one could bang it in during the mad scramble in the crease! Another opportunity arose for me as I held the puck in along the left wing boards at the point, I had a lot of room so I was in "F this s**t" mode and dipsie-doodled around two guys along the boards down to the goal line, cut back up towards the low slot to get a better angle for a shot. From a bout 5 feet out I zipped a backhander about 6" off the ice towards the far corner, some how the goalie got his toe on it! ugh!!! I thought I was going to be the Monday night Beer League Hero...well, next shift out someone on our team scored, I didn't even see the goal.

Highlights included:
• Me getting about 5 good clappers from the point through to the net throughout the game
• The other team having two players from Cal State Fullertons Club Hockey team sub for them (they were really good)
• Mr. Loudmouth on our team complaining to other players on our team for not opening the bench door when he is coming off the ice!
• Commander Fragile on their team leaning into me as play was approaching our blue line, I leaned back on him and extended my arms, he fell, resulting in my first penalty of the season...Interference
• Me getting credit for another goal I didn't score, I also netted an assist
• Commander Fragile on their team puking on the ice, yes, on the ice, and then on their bench
• Us getting another OT win!

xLAxKingsx
September 26th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/files/2015/08/mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/e7v210wxz/IMG_7638.jpg

beedee
September 28th, 2016, 10:20 AM
^ Congrats fellas.

I didn't play in our game Monday night, but looks like we won 3-1. Next weeks game is on Monday at 10:30pm, I won't be playing in that one either. We'll be at Disneyland for the Mickey's Halloween Party.

xLAxKingsx
September 29th, 2016, 11:00 AM
^ Congrats fellas.

I didn't play in our game Monday night, but looks like we won 3-1. Next weeks game is on Monday at 10:30pm, I won't be playing in that one either. We'll be at Disneyland for the Mickey's Halloween Party.

Those late week day games are killers. Id also rather go to Mickeys Halloween Party hah. We start a new season this Saturday with a draft skate hopfully The Rinks can come thru and lump a few of us together this season.

jammer06
September 29th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I have a draft skate this sunday night. Im gonna be so jet lagged i have no idea if im gonna be awake or alseep

mudfisher
September 30th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I have a draft skate this sunday night. Im gonna be so jet lagged i have no idea if im gonna be awake or alseep

Good Luck! You should wear a jersey or flag stating you are jetlagged.

xLAxKingsx
October 4th, 2016, 09:35 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/l0MYyDBFrb5o7eXq8/200.gif

Draft skate was um ok. No goalies at draft and there is enough players for only 3 teams... They trying to get at least 1 more together so we shall see. I really want to try and elevate my game much more this time around and work on a few things not just try and get by each game. Time to lace em up take spills and work on my game.

jammer06
October 4th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Our "evaluation" skate was actually pretty well run all things considered. they lined us up by name. We had 3 goalies. Started off with some simple circle crossovers carrying the puck to a shot on goal. Followed that up with single straight rushes up the ice with instruction to just fire the puck at the blue line. Finally some 2-0's just to get an idea of who could play with other people.

The interesting part is at this point they basically took half the people off the ice who had all been signed up for lower divisions. The rest of us then ran a 4 on 4 scrimmage (7 each side total) just to see who was where. I have to say this was really nice since the skill gap was pretty small. I mean you could just put a pass in a direction of someone and they could coral it, skate to an open spot and they would see you, defensively guys were making you move your feet but nobody was going nuts. It was fun but tiring with the jet lag and the cold. I talked to the guys in the room after and they were all like mid level skaters for the league so if i play for this team I spent the summer with that broke off to make a higher level team I should be ok.

Only crappy thing is I got stuffed on a breakaway and hit a post on a one time redirection. In any case, no offense to the beginners, but getting them off the ice for the scrimmage helped sort out just what skill level was still out there so I have some confidence that they make at least a half hearted attempt at parity.

beedee
October 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Ill keep it short and sweet for now.

http://s13.postimg.org/e7v210wxz/IMG_7638.jpg

Back row, 2nd from the far right....thats cool that "Wild Bill" from Deadliest Catch is on your team!

http://www.captwildbill.com/images/dc.jpg

xLAxKingsx
October 4th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Back row, 2nd from the far right....thats cool that "Wild Bill" from Deadliest Catch is on your team!

http://www.captwildbill.com/images/dc.jpg

https://media0.giphy.com/media/dGtGXBGDptJqU/200.gif

holy crap.

Nyssa42
October 5th, 2016, 01:29 AM
Woot! My team had a HUGE come-from-behind win tonight, and I was partially responsible for it! We were down 3-1 with about 5 mins left. I jump on the ice, skate to the other end, and the puck comes right to me in the high slot. Just as I am about to take "the big shot", the other winger, who did not change with the guy I replaced and is our best player, swoops in from the side and shoots it instead and scores! That was all me distracting the goalie, I'm sure. :) Now it's the faceoff with my actual wing partner, which we sort of win....the puck comes to me, I dump it deep, chase it into the right corner, see my winger right in front of the goalie and make a great backhand pass which actually goes to his stick (a miracle!), but he sort of fumbles it off further to the left, where one of our D guys had pinched in and has the easy shot into the wide open net! 2 goals in like 30 seconds. It was awesome. We went on to win in a shootout.
This was my 2nd week in a row to get a sweet assist. Last week I miraculously stole the puck off the stick of the other team's best player at the blue line just as he was trying to exit his D zone....I skate it in to about mid-circle, see one of my D men right in the slot, make the best pass of my life, and he slams it into the net. We won that game in a shootout as well.

I still keep meaning to do a mini-blog about my experience at Blues Fantasy Camp, but I've been super-busy. I did take a picture of Barret Jackman, who retired today, while I was there. I didn't actually talk to him, though. It was a great time, and playing against current members of the Blues certainly made me step up my game, which has given me a lot of confidence since I got back, leading to my assists!

Luc SkyBomba
October 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Great stories this summer! Well I'm back for the new season tomorrow and crap, I haven't skated since Spring season ended. Just park my fat self in front of the other goalie right? Gonna be fun!

beedee
October 10th, 2016, 03:39 PM
9pm game tonight. I haven't skated in the last two games.

beedee
October 11th, 2016, 09:21 AM
9pm game tonight. I haven't skated in the last two games.

j/k, we had a bye last night. 9pm, next Monday.

jammer06
October 11th, 2016, 09:25 AM
j/k, we had a bye last night. 9pm, next Monday.

hope you figured that out before getting to the rink

xLAxKingsx
October 12th, 2016, 02:11 PM

Hahaha

beedee
October 12th, 2016, 03:43 PM

lmao, luckily i did. the team captain is bad about sending emails and/or text to see who all will be there. so i shot a text to a guy and he confirmed no game on my way home from work (6pm).

jammer06
October 12th, 2016, 03:53 PM
lmao, luckily i did. the team captain is bad about sending emails and/or text to see who all will be there. so i shot a text to a guy and he confirmed no game on my way home from work (6pm).

I tell you it sucks, i think ive done it at least 3 times. Once i was lucky and another team was short. The other two times though were standard fml situations

xLAxKingsx
October 17th, 2016, 11:33 AM
This season is gonna suck....... We only had 1 goalie sign up not our team then we finally get a goalie and he hurts himself and is out now. http://i.giphy.com/ITU9KRRVyhVwA.gif Also there is only 3 teams guess Fall isnt as popular to play.

beedee
October 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Im finally back on the ice tonight, first time i guess in a month.

I have found that Fall/Winter seasons are tough with the holidays. The league DGAF about scheduling games on holidays and people can't make it to games for whatever reason.

xLAxKingsx
October 17th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Im finally back on the ice tonight, first time i guess in a month.

I have found that Fall/Winter seasons are tough with the holidays. The league DGAF about scheduling games on holidays and people can't make it to games for whatever reason.

Yea i can tell only good thing going is 99% of games are on a Saturday! Only 1 is on a random Tuesday night. Westminster Ice barely had enough for 2 teams of 8 players each. They wanted to combine the leagues but guess they couldnt work that out.

beedee
October 17th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Yea i can tell only good thing going is 99% of games are on a Saturday! Only 1 is on a random Tuesday night. Westminster Ice barely had enough for 2 teams of 8 players each. They wanted to combine the leagues but guess they couldnt work that out.

Is Captain Wild Bill returning? Or is he up at Dutch Harbor this time of year?

beedee
October 18th, 2016, 09:39 AM
We lost 3-2 in OT last night.

10 showed up for us, so two even lines, always a great sign! All in all we didn't play bad, but I felt like the Kings, it was impossible to really connect tape-to-tape passes. The other team played well together and had good passing and puck movement. Our team (like most beer league teams) seemed to have that one or two guys, or whomever was carrying the puck would just take it into the zone. To be honest, that was probably the safer play, since it was rare to put a good pass into action.

We started off by being down 1-0 after the first shot on goal, was kind of a scramble, so can't really blame the goalie on that one. Then one of our wingers went bar down on a beauty of a snipe, Top-Titty style from the face-off dot. After that we went up 2-1 on a nice one timer from the slot. It was nice to have the lead going into the third period. About halfway through they scored though. I know we are always taught to play the whistle, however the play went offside in our zone, and literally everyone stopped because we figured the whistle would blow....well it didn't. The puck carrier seemed surprised and kept his line to the net, got a shot off and our goalie made the save. Then the guy I should have been on picked up the rebound and had an easy goal. EVERYONE was livid, but what can ya do? I apologized to our goalie for not playing the whistle and we ended up heading to OT. They scored on a nice shot from the outside, maybe top of the circle? I was heading out to the attacker to half-ass block the shot (i no longer try to get in front of shots if i can help it), and he must have just got it around me and I guess top blocker of the goalie? Oh well, we still got a point out of it and I believe our first playoff game is on Halloween night at 10:20pm, awesome.

For not playing in 3 weeks I felt pretty good. Our team never really got set up in the offensive zone, so zero shots on goal for me. I think maybe I was set up at the blue line once or twice a period while the play was in the o'zone. No puck rushes for me either. Positionally I felt pretty good, forcing players wide, being the pesky defender when they tried to post up on top of the crease (would give them a few nudges/not quite punches with my top hand on my stick to their lower back, just enough to disrupt them and put them off balance). The game was fine, not chippy, however in the OT one guy came hard to the net from the face off circle with the puck and I kind of took him down as he was falling towards our goalie (pulled him away from the goalie as he was out of control). No call was made, but the captain of our team thanked me and praised me for it. I was talking **** to the guy for going so hard to the net, and not stopping...ironically, this same guy is the one that scored in OT. https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1380222758ra/211671.gif

Cool side note. One of our players went to Hockey Monkey over the weekend and bought new skates. I guess it was CCM day so he entered the raffle for a pair of the top of the line SuperTacks skates.....and he won!

jammer06
October 21st, 2016, 07:42 AM
So I had my first "game" at the new rink with those college kids last night. Other team didn't show so we had the ice to ourselves from 10:40 to god knows when. We split up into 2 squads and played 4-4 first in a half court style and then we set tires up in the other net and went full ice. The skill level was still really great and I felt a lot better than the first time I skated with this group. Lots of passing, lots of skating. I will say that in general it seems like the league is a complete ****show but right now just the ability to skate where i'm learning something and shooting on a goalie who is a real dandy is worth it. I left the ice about midnight, left the rink at 12:20 and 4 college kids and the goalie were still out there. Who know how long the rink manager let them go but I couldn't hang.

in any case I'm subbing in with the remnants of that beginner team that went out and got themselves some higher level friends so I'll see what C3 competition is like this sunday. Based on the tryout it should be organized but we'll see if these guys can string passes together.

jammer06
October 23rd, 2016, 10:03 PM
First game with the remnants of the summer team was odd. Skill wise i feel like there wasnt a big gap but oh man was there a difference in familiarity. Final score was 6-2. I got to play center and it was nice but the ref kept darting the puck on the face off so it was mostly tie ups. I had a handful of shots on goal but most were just on entry to get the whistle for a face off cuz id be coming in 1 on 2 or 1 on 3. Sadly i was not cherry picking my teammates for those chances. It wasnt that they were slow etiher, everything was just disorganized but worse than a not knowing how to play, they knew how to play but kept getting mixed up.
In any case dumbest part of the night was i left my sticks at the rink. Hopefully one of my teammates grabbed them.

xLAxKingsx
October 24th, 2016, 09:46 AM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/26BRGfR29eXwrxEcg/200.gif#2

So our first game of the Fall **** Show 2016 started on Saturday.

-No socks that they force you to buy... Check!
-People having to wear size Medium cause not enough big sizes... Check!
-NO ****ING GOALIE!... Check!
-NO ****ING SUB GOALIE CAUSE THEY THOUGHT WE DID HAVE ONE EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW HE WAS HURT AND QUIT... Check!
-Playing with 6 players on at all times and still Winning!.. Check!

beedee
October 24th, 2016, 11:27 AM
^ gotta love The Rinks!!!

No game for us tonight, this crap is getting old. Im thinking of switching over to Bay Harbor for this upcoming Winter Season. I'm also sick of the 10:30pm games, we have one at 10:20pm on Halloween night.

Nyssa42
October 24th, 2016, 11:35 AM
^ gotta love The Rinks!!!

No game for us tonight, this crap is getting old. Im thinking of switching over to Bay Harbor for this upcoming Winter Season. I'm also sick of the 10:30pm games, we have one at 10:20pm on Halloween night.

I would love to play at Bay Harbor again....but the hour+ drive....just can't do it. But if you go there let me know, maybe I can come out for some pre-clinics or something.

LetTigerIn
October 24th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I would love to play at Bay Harbor again....but the hour+ drive....just can't do it. But if you go there let me know, maybe I can come out for some pre-clinics or something.

Most divisions play Sunday at Bay Harbor. Still a bad drive time then? I come from Burbank, and the drive is 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic.

xLAxKingsx
October 24th, 2016, 02:16 PM
After seeing how bad the rinks is i wanna book it outta there but couldn't find many adult beginner leagues or i just aint looking right. I did manage to start the season with a point on a assist and my game play was much better had some nice passing and even deked the D with a pass between his legs and i just went around him. Hopefully i can progress and maybe do 1 more beginner league and eventually move up as those games seem more organized.

jammer06
October 24th, 2016, 02:39 PM
After seeing how bad the rinks is i wanna book it outta there but couldn't find many adult beginner leagues or i just aint looking right. I did manage to start the season with a point on a assist and my game play was much better had some nice passing and even deked the D with a pass between his legs and i just went around him. Hopefully i can progress and maybe do 1 more beginner league and eventually move up as those games seem more organized.

I will say that when you are progressing from beginner levels up you'll start to see just how much players guide the puck when they are stick handling it. The puck shouldn't stay on your stick, you're just passing it to a place and picking it up there. Once you get a feel for that getting around defenders either through them or off the boards gets a lot simpler. You also begin to get a lot better blocking people off the puck with your body since you aren't so concerned with having the puck on your stick while you do it. Congrats on the assist though.

jammer06
October 28th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Ok so I played game 2 in what I shall now dub the Rodeo league considering out of 3 scheduled games: 1 time the other team didn't show up, the other 2 have involved 4 excused players (which were straight game misconducts, no penalties involved). The latest version of said events went as follows. I was playing on the wing, we started out with 9 players and a plan to roll 3D and 2 forward lines. Nothing special here excepting I'm the new guy and on a change one of the other forwards doesn't want to come off...(it was the team captain)...So I go to head back to the bench but theres already 4 guys sitting there. So back to D I go and well that was a bad call for all involved. They came in with speed after we had been cycling in the zone, the other Dman is face forward controlling action and I'm still staring at our goalie as I cross the blue line to catch up. Short point of it is they cycled fast and the goal wasn't off the rush but I'll just admit to losing coverage since I was standing right where I needed to to collect the puck out of the net and save the goalie that indignity. Shortly thereafter one of our 4 D decided to rush the puck, got collected with one of their guys behind their net and the ref called them on it. On the way back to our bench and the box their guy wouldnt get out of our guys face, so he decked him. Well turns out thats a penalty too and a GM so now we are down to 7 (one in the box to serve the "rough") and the other guy gone. Well we kill the penalty and get out of the period down 3-2 back up to 8 skaters. 2nd period is rolling similarly with 3 D and 5 forwards and we're pushing hard when I'm in the O zone in front ish and our d shoots, it's blocked down and I start to skate out on the back check and I see a familiar stick fly past me. So I turn around and their goalie is reenacting Bertuzzi on Moore and just wailing on him. I start back looking at the D guy who's staring at his goalie like "WTF mate?" and the ref who's got a the "I've got this when their done with this BS" **** look on his face so I get close enough to jump in if the goalie won't quit. Goalie lets up and our guy is laying there all fetal. The goalies screaming "did you see that ****!" and the ref's just like "yes, yes I did, get off the ice." Our guys spitting blood on the ice and the ref tells us he's giving the goalie the GM so he can't call him for anything else...So its 5 on 5 (plus a skater) and the other teams busy stripping the other goalie and tossing his gear on someone else. Long story short that really put us down to 7 cuz our dude was a bit concussed and even though we tried to tell him he was Gretzky it didn't take. They pushed hard with their skaters and with the benefit of the end of the period and a time out we only had the EN for about 2 mins of gameplay. 3rd period they pushed and wore us down taking it to 3-8. With 45 seconds to go one of our guys drove the ice from our goal line and I followed him, he wished a backhand pass into the crease and after 2 redirections of skates I scored my first goal off a backup goalie in a blowout game with 25 seconds to go. I don't care though I crushed that **** and on the ensuing FO their winger agreed he'd have done the same thing.
Anyway its still fast but I had shots on goal, set picks and had a breakout pass that lead directly to a goal so confidence is high. Now if we can just get enough guys so I dont hurl and keep em on the ice so I don't have to worry about jumping into protect Turd Fergusen.
I asked the guy after what happened and he said the goalie cup checked him hard so he pool cued him back. Fair enough I thought considering this isn't bottom level folks but damn. Clearly he got him just right.

P.I.T.A.
October 30th, 2016, 09:55 PM
So I get to my Friday night game with just enough time to get changed, and as I'm going through my bad I realize that neither my glove or blocker are in my bag. I don't have any time to figure out where they are, let alone go home to get a back up. One of my defensemen is subbing in net for a game after ours and says I can use them, but they're full right and I have never even tried full right. Luckily one of my friends that plays net for another team is there early and lets me use their set. I'd never tried reebok gloves because the paddles were just horrible, but I have to say that I immediately fell in love with those damn things and now I need to find a way to buy those from my friend, hahaha. We went on to win 4-0, so I definitely need them. It was an interesting night, to say the least.

I still have no idea where the other gloves went.

beedee
October 31st, 2016, 09:25 AM
Have a game at 10:20pm tonight, doubt I'll play.

xLAxKingsx
October 31st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Had our 2nd game Saturday and we got blown out. 7-1 and this time we had a goalie! But some of the players on our team have no clue about playing positions so it was mayhem like a damn pick up game. My left side partner was everywhere! Im not vocal about telling anyone what to do as im not the best but i had to yell at him from the bench to stay on the left ****ing side! Our D men couldnt move the puck out they would all crowd the front and it was just a **** show. Also they all cleared the puck right down the middle! I know its about learning but some of them seem to have played before and even if its your first time everyone knows thats bad. It was also bad as the other team had some ****ing great skaters who should not be playing beginner. Like someone said they where roofing back hand shots and skating circles. My game overall wasnt the best a few times i pushed myself harder to play pucks and not be scared of falling and being so cautious that i wouldnt battle for pucks. Slowly im getting there last season i went the whole season only falling 1 time. This season ive been on my ass 4 times as i played grittier and went for it.

beedee
October 31st, 2016, 01:22 PM
Had our 2nd game Saturday and we got blown out. 7-1 and this time we had a goalie! But some of the players on our team have no clue about playing positions so it was mayhem like a damn pick up game.
It amazed me when I played goalie for a rookie team how out of position people got. Then again, I wondered how many of them really watched hockey and learned, or they just watched and didn't pay attention to players and how they play their positions.

My left side partner was everywhere! Im not vocal about telling anyone what to do as im not the best but i had to yell at him from the bench to stay on the left ****ing side! Our D men couldnt move the puck out they would all crowd the front and it was just a **** show. Also they all cleared the puck right down the middle!
This eerily reminds me of when I played goalie for the rookie team as well...except I was yelling from the crease for people to play their positions....and lets not even go there about having to remind them about clearing the puck up the middle...not enough fingers and toes to count on.

It was also bad as the other team had some ****ing great skaters who should not be playing beginner. Like someone said they where roofing back hand shots and skating circles.
Beer League 101, where every team (except the one you are on) has ringers that shouldn't be playing the level that your team is entirely comprised of.

Slowly im getting there last season i went the whole season only falling 1 time. This season ive been on my ass 4 times as i played grittier and went for it.
If you aren't falling, you aren't trying!

xLAxKingsx
October 31st, 2016, 02:58 PM
It amazed me when I played goalie for a rookie team how out of position people got. Then again, I wondered how many of them really watched hockey and learned, or they just watched and didn't pay attention to players and how they play their positions.

This eerily reminds me of when I played goalie for the rookie team as well...except I was yelling from the crease for people to play their positions....and lets not even go there about having to remind them about clearing the puck up the middle...not enough fingers and toes to count on.

Beer League 101, where every team (except the one you are on) has ringers that shouldn't be playing the level that your team is entirely comprised of.

If you aren't falling, you aren't trying!

I really hope we get it together! We still dont know about a goalie next game as we are on a sub to sub basis. Sounds like we need Beedee to play goalie. I promise we wont warm you up with pucks to the head Ha!

beedee
November 1st, 2016, 12:53 PM
Sounds like we need Beedee to play goalie. I promise we wont warm you up with pucks to the head Ha!

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/50-cent-car-laughing-patrick-stewart-face-1365035206a.gif?id=

Nyssa42
November 2nd, 2016, 12:07 PM

This is the truest statement ever made!! :lol:

Finally got a goal for my team last night!! I was a +4 in a 6-3 win, but it actually was not one of my better games. I have 2 terrible habits: 1) passing the puck up the middle, which I did a couple of times, and 2) trying to get rid of the puck as quickly as possible instead of just skating with it. And I did that so, so, so many times last night. And when I do this, I make a terrible pass to no one, not a good pass to someone ready to receive the puck. I was so frustrated with myself.

Every game I tell myself I am going to skate with the puck, and every game I foolishly dump it off to nowhere....

jammer06
November 11th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Speaking of ringers.....Ok game 3 I'm playing in the C league here in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Previously I've mentioned that the first game was full of kids during a summer league game that were either fresh out of High School Hockey or still in college and (unclear to me) still playing (at some level), and included some guys that had to be minor league guys at some level. Well game 1 I noted for the winter and game 2 of the winter session was again against my very first opponent. These guys had less zits but were still young and ****ing hell could they all fly. We had 10 guys and with 4 mins to go in the 2nd the score was 5-4. Then the bull**** started, at the time I thought it was extraneous but considering what our d core was putting up with and especially after the elimination of 2 of our guys over the course of the next 8 mins of gametime and the sudden 12-4 score the more experienced guys on our team may have had a point. There were 2 guys that had been rushing up from their D core all game, but once they got to 8-4 to start the 3rd you'd think they might pass more, but no they wanted and got goals 9-12. I asked one of the other guys that had been chirping with them and they were guys from jr's that came back home and I guess we were their solace. Anyway I found this video and hoooooly **** wow, good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1eDw1Qa4sY

xLAxKingsx
November 14th, 2016, 09:50 AM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/xxeiMw8A8zOuc/200.gif#3

Finally got a goal! Took a page outta the Kings book and took a shot from the boards on a bad angle and that **** worked. Lol we were down 2 and i started the rally back. We ended up losing in OT but still it was nice to net one.

beedee
November 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM
9pm playoff game for us tonight. I looked up our record against the team we are playing, they beat us 12-0 last time, and 10-1 the time before. Being that I haven't played in over a month, I might as well go.

Nyssa42
November 14th, 2016, 06:44 PM
my team has our "first round" playoff game tomorrow...being that there are only 4 teams in our division, everyone makes the playoffs. HOWEVER, I will not be able to play because I severely tweaked my back yesterday lifting a table at church. Almost passed out from the pain when I did it. Hope no one reading this ever feels that kind of pain. Still can barely walk today even with drugs. My muscles were weakened from our really fun pickup on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I guess. Plus...old age.
So, anyway, I'm out for this game tomorrow. Hope we win because the "championship game" isn't for 2 more weeks, so I should be back to full strength by then.

xLAxKingsx
November 15th, 2016, 08:46 AM
9pm playoff game for us tonight. I looked up our record against the team we are playing, they beat us 12-0 last time, and 10-1 the time before. Being that I haven't played in over a month, I might as well go.

How did this go? Sounds fun...

my team has our "first round" playoff game tomorrow...being that there are only 4 teams in our division, everyone makes the playoffs. HOWEVER, I will not be able to play because I severely tweaked my back yesterday lifting a table at church. Almost passed out from the pain when I did it. Hope no one reading this ever feels that kind of pain. Still can barely walk today even with drugs. My muscles were weakened from our really fun pickup on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I guess. Plus...old age. So, anyway, I'm out for this game tomorrow. Hope we win because the "championship game" isn't for 2 more weeks, so I should be back to full strength by then.

This sounds painful but hopefully you guys get the W and you get to play another game!

beedee
November 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Ouch Nyssa!!! Hope you feel better sooner than later, that sounds awful!

How did this go? Sounds fun...

I ended up saying F it, and stayed home. We ended up losing 9-1, and there was a fight in the first period according to the scoresheet. So I think the season is done? No one has emailed asking who is returning, no one has texted, etc...

I'm not sure what it is with this team, but he communication is nonexistent. Yes there is a schedule online that we can go off of, but its nice to have a Captain that sends out the weekly reminder of the upcoming game for the evening seeing who is in or out for the game. I'm going to hit up a buddy or two on another team and see if they need people. While all the guys on this team were cool, it just wasn't doing it for me.

beedee
November 24th, 2016, 01:26 PM
This morning I played in our annual private Thanksgiving Day pick-up at Lakewood. Last year I played as goalie, this year I skated out. It was a blast and fairly low scoring considering it was pick-up. Hope all you turkeys have a Happy Thanksgivng!

LetTigerIn
November 24th, 2016, 01:49 PM
This morning I played in our annual private Thanksgiving Day pick-up at Lakewood. Last year I played as goalie, this year I skated out. It was a blast and fairly low scoring considering it was pick-up. Hope all you turkeys have a Happy Thanksgivng!

Cool tradition! I'm planning on playing in a pick-up with some friends from work tomorrow!

Nyssa42
November 30th, 2016, 04:26 PM
My team had our "championship" game last night (only 4 teams in the division so not exactly a big deal). My back is still not 100%, so I only skated in the warmups, where I found out that the muscles I use for skating are the ones that apparently still need to heal. (a bit of pain...no way I could have actually played without serious pain and re-injury). Our team lost 6-5 in a hard fought, fast paced game. Considering we were pretty much "the Bad News Bears" in the first few games, it was a great end to the season. Looking forward to next season which starts in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to play in game 1. Just need to stretch...a lot. And there will be 5 teams in the division, so that will be good.

LetTigerIn
December 12th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Our new season has started! Actually, it started last week, but last night was the first game for me. I hadn't skated in a while, and it felt really good to be back out there!

We had the late game and surprisingly had 11 skaters against the other team's 7. The late slot can really play havoc on attendance. Thankfully for us, the game went mostly as expected for such conditions. We were up 1-0 halfway through the contest but pulled away late as they became fatigued. According to the scoresheet, we were outshot by 3, but we sailed a lot of shots wide and definitely dominated possession time. I scored a greasy goal tweeners for my first goal since three seasons or so ago, and I think the eventual final score was 5-1.

On my last doctor visit, my doctor asked me how long I planned to play hockey. I told her,"Until I can't play any more."

DRGinLBC
December 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Which one of you is making Beiber cry?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/13/justin-bieber-fight-hockey-game/

beedee
December 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Which one of you is making Beiber cry?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/13/justin-bieber-fight-hockey-game/

That dumbass is even wearing a knock-off Kings jersey, lmao! To be fair, I'd be pissed too, that guy took a full on two-handed wind up from about 8 feet behind the cupcake before coming down on the cupcake's stick.

Nyssa42
December 14th, 2016, 01:13 AM
my team's new season started tonight. Despite my back not being 100%, I played the whole game, got a goal, won a few faceoffs, fell down a few times with no pain. Oh, and my team won 5-4! Now...we'll see how my back is when I wake up in the morning. But, I had skated in a clinic on Sunday night and felt great on Monday, so I'm not really worried.
Felt sooooo good to be back skating and getting some exercise. I was getting fatter-than-usual. Now I know how the pros can get back to it so soon after injuries....once I got out in the game situation I didn't notice any pain. (plus, their training staff is way better than mine!)

xLAxKingsx
December 14th, 2016, 03:55 PM
This new season has been rough....

Not only are we forced to buy jersey and socks but they barely gave us the socks with only a few games remaining. Theres 3 teams only 1 team is made up of nothing but dudes that can skate rather well so they rack up goals. Our team is somewhat balanced but get burned by the better skaters. 3rd team is made up of pretty bad players no D no O. So its been kinda crappy I at least have 2 goals! But it really hasn't been fun experience this time around. Most guys in my current team will be off to Copper next season so I might take off a season and just work on my skating as much as possible. I def dont want to stick around to playing in this **** show of Beginner League but my skating isnt really up there. Got our last game of this year Saturday against the bad team hope to pad my stats a bit.

LetTigerIn
December 15th, 2016, 10:40 AM

Not only are we forced to buy jersey and socks but they barely gave us the socks with only a few games remaining. Theres 3 teams only 1 team is made up of nothing but dudes that can skate rather well so they rack up goals. Our team is somewhat balanced but get burned by the better skaters. 3rd team is made up of pretty bad players no D no O. So its been kinda crappy I at least have 2 goals! But it really hasn't been fun experience this time around. Most guys in my current team will be off to Copper next season so I might take off a season and just work on my skating as much as possible. I def dont want to stick around to playing in this **** show of Beginner League but my skating isnt really up there. Got our last game of this year Saturday against the bad team hope to pad my stats a bit.

Sorry for your bummer season. If you take a break are interested in subbing some at Bay Harbor, I could find out more info for you.

beedee
December 15th, 2016, 10:48 AM

That sucks man. Been there before in other division where the disparity between first place and last place is insanely unbalanced, so much so that it blows my mind that either team wasn't moved up, or down. I hate to say it, but it really is just the way it is in beer league. There is always going to be a team that should be playing higher, and then there is that team at the bottom of the standings that is too good to play in the level lower, but not quite good enough to be in the current division where they are getting smoked. I'd take up LetTigerIn on his offer to try and sub up at Bay Harbor. It will grow your network of hockey buds, and allow you to see what it is like to play at another rink, and get a feel for how their leagues are ran.

xLAxKingsx
December 15th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Sorry for your bummer season. If you take a break are interested in subbing some at Bay Harbor, I could find out more info for you.

This would be awesome but is crappy skating ok? Lol

That sucks man. Been there before in other division where the disparity between first place and last place is insanely unbalanced, so much so that it blows my mind that either team wasn't moved up, or down. I hate to say it, but it really is just the way it is in beer league. There is always going to be a team that should be playing higher, and then there is that team at the bottom of the standings that is too good to play in the level lower, but not quite good enough to be in the current division where they are getting smoked. I'd take up LetTigerIn on his offer to try and sub up at Bay Harbor. It will grow your network of hockey buds, and allow you to see what it is like to play at another rink, and get a feel for how their leagues are ran.

Yea man it makes it boring. The last place team got burned 10-0 and then we gave em a 9-1 whipping. Im sure they arent having fun and well neither are we when theres no competition. Which makes me wonder why dudes that can play better drop down and play with teams you can run circles around doesnt see like fun or make you grow as a player. I def need to try a different league this one is stale and clearly no ****s is given about rookie league.

LetTigerIn
December 15th, 2016, 11:38 AM
This would be awesome but is crappy skating ok? Lol

I've been crappy skating at the bottom tier for nearly three years running, so I'd have to say yes. I'll ask our team captain and get back to you.

xLAxKingsx
December 16th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I've been crappy skating at the bottom tier for nearly three years running, so I'd have to say yes. I'll ask our team captain and get back to you.

Whats the lowest tier copper? Thanks man let me know!

Luc SkyBomba
January 8th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Ugh, first game of the new season starts tonight and my back is keeping me out again...

beedee
January 8th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Our first game of the new season is tomorrow night....

at 10:35pm. :/

beedee
January 10th, 2017, 10:35 AM
We have a one game winning streak, we won 5-0 last night. Don't let the score fool ya, it should have been closer to 10-0 but their goalie stood on his head big time. According to the scoreboard, we only allowed 4 SOG, and we had I think 25?

It felt great to be back out there again, the first period was a good warm up for me. The last time I skated was Thanksgiving Day morning for a pick-up game, so I was worried with how out of shape I would be. I was out of shape, but I didn't want to push myself too hard last night in the first period. I usually treat it as a warm up period to get the legs and lungs going, which is what I did. I had a new defense partner, which was awesome because he is pretty good. He played forward for us last season but wanted to drop back this season, so that was cool. We also acquired two new players, one is good, one is really good! They both play D also, so that meant we moved my former mediocre partner up to a wing and the other mediocre D man that was on the other line also got moved up to a wing. So now we have two solid lines of D with 4 very solid players! I had a handful of SOG that made it through, but no goals. All my shots came from the point and I basically just tried to float wristers in deep and on net, hoping for redirects. I think I picked up a secondary assist based off of one of those shots, not sure if they recorded it though. Neither team took a penalty last night and the game wasn't chippy at all. Looks like our next game isn't until January 23rd, so already a bye-week, blah!!!

Looking forward to seeing how everyone elses new season is going!

LetTigerIn
January 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM
We dropped to 1-3-0 on Sunday. On the plus side, our team is more competitive this season. I've played in 3 of the 4 games, and as a team we are 1-2 with +/-0 in those games. On the minus side, it still sucks to have only 2 points in the table after 4 games.

As for me, I really need to get my skates sharpened this week. Lost edge frequently in the third period. After game, I examined them, and both skates have visibly chipped, mashed and dinged edges from various abuse. The good news, I guess is that if it were not for greater confidence when skating I may not have noticed that I need the sharpening. One of my slips was from collecting the puck and turning toward the attack after creating the loose puck on a back check. So, it was good news/bad news. I really need to get more ice time between games this season, but, of course, I've been saying this for a while.

beedee
January 10th, 2017, 11:04 AM
We dropped to 1-3-0 on Sunday. On the plus side, our team is more competitive this season. I've played in 3 of the 4 games, and as a team we are 1-2 with +/-0 in those games. On the minus side, it still sucks to have only 2 points in the table after 4 games.

As for me, I really need to get my skates sharpened this week. Lost edge frequently in the third period. After game, I examined them, and both skates have visibly chipped, mashed and dinged edges from various abuse. The good news, I guess is that if it were not for greater confidence when skating I may not have noticed that I need the sharpening. One of my slips was from collecting the puck and turning toward the attack after creating the loose puck on a back check. So, it was good news/bad news. I really need to get more ice time between games this season, but, of course, I've been saying this for a while.

I know that feeling....and I've also been saying it for awhile and never do get more ice.
https://media.giphy.com/media/VBUIvFMG4eEOQ/giphy.gif

eddieshack23
January 10th, 2017, 11:46 AM
We had our first game of the season last Thursday.

Solid 8-2 win.

Miss you on that team beedee.

beedee
January 10th, 2017, 12:03 PM
We had our first game of the season last Thursday.

Solid 8-2 win.

Miss you on that team beedee.
Grats on the win! Thursdays are tough, I can possibly sub during the late games. I pick up our daughter after work and often times my wife isn't home until after 8pm. :( I miss playing with you guys, our "killer b" forward line was awesome!

eddieshack23
January 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Grats on the win! Thursdays are tough, I can possibly sub during the late games. I pick up our daughter after work and often times my wife isn't home until after 8pm. :( I miss playing with you guys, our "killer b" forward line was awesome!

We have 10 this season, but only had 7 on Thursday. Maybe we will get you back for next season!

Yes, that was a great line!

jammer06
January 23rd, 2017, 09:01 AM
Finally got on the ice with my team of older gentlemen....I hadn't seen these guys since near thanksgiving. Seems our starting goalie fell off a roof so he's out for the season and the backup they had settled on didn't show up...again. One of the guys brought his kids squirt gear and suited up in it. Took serious balls to do that. He played well all things considered (no goalie skates, goalie shorts). We dropped it 7-0 and mostly it was the same issues, guys just trying to get up to speed with each other, not making passes and so forth. I was rusty as my old cage but at least i ended the night even. Generated a couple chances around the net and only one shot i wish i had back, puck rolled on me when I was all alone in the slot after a puck went off the refs skate and came right to me.

Anyway time to get serious about having some kind of shape other than bad before showing up at staples in a month.

beedee
January 23rd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Have a game at 9pm tonight, woke up with a sore throat though. To play or not to play, that is the question.

Nyssa42
January 23rd, 2017, 06:18 PM
Have a game at 9pm tonight, woke up with a sore throat though. To play or not to play, that is the question.

Go play! Hockey cures everything!!

Luc SkyBomba
January 23rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Go play! Hockey cures everything!!

Except back pain... which kept me out of game 1. But I still haven't gotten to play since it's rained every night my team has been scheduled (outdoor roller).

PS - I have played sick before haha

jammer06
January 23rd, 2017, 08:03 PM

be sure to borrow everyones waterbottle too

LetTigerIn
January 23rd, 2017, 09:29 PM
Heck, I played sick yesterday, and I'm still sick! :( But I felt great for a while after the game. I guess it was a temporary fix. :D

beedee
January 24th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Played last night and we tied 2-2. Their goalie was amazing and really kept them in the game, he had great technique and was well skilled. I don't feel any better or any worse, so I am glad I played. I had a handful of SOG from the point, no goals though.

beedee
January 30th, 2017, 05:07 PM
10:20pm game tonight! Will we remain unbeaten, tune in tomorrow and find out!

Btw, these new Bauer Vapor x500 skates I got were only $199.99, they are light and stiff, but the outer quarter panel is so fragile, I get one new gash in it a game, check the pix:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/34356AC5-EBC3-46B3-91C2-9FC4CD225F27_zpsnxarqxef.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/1B32272D-90AB-4A41-81BC-A2ADACDB0BD3_zpshnlibacr.jpg

Nyssa42
January 30th, 2017, 05:34 PM
just got a new stick. CCM Crosby curve (except I think he shoots right, and I'm a lefty). The sticks we used at FanFest all weekend for the skill games were Crosby curve, and I realized I could lift the puck a lot easier with it...I usually can't really get much lift at all. Have a game tomorrow night, so we will see how it goes. (my current stick is a Kane curve - I usually don't like a lot of curve, so this will be interesting)

Luc SkyBomba
January 30th, 2017, 06:43 PM
just got a new stick. CCM Crosby curve (except I think he shoots right, and I'm a lefty). The sticks we used at FanFest all weekend for the skill games were Crosby curve, and I realized I could lift the puck a lot easier with it...I usually can't really get much lift at all. Have a game tomorrow night, so we will see how it goes. (my current stick is a Kane curve - I usually don't like a lot of curve, so this will be interesting)

I used to use the Kopi curve, which I think is close to the Crosby, because I liked the lift. Then I realized it was the wrong lie. I'm using Zetterberg curve now and it's still slightly open but not as much as the Kopi. The lie angle is much better though.

beedee
January 31st, 2017, 10:23 AM
I used to have a "Draper" curve Warrior Dolomite which I loved, then they renamed it the "Kopi" curve, which if you ever look at a Kopi game-used stick, the curve isn't even close! Currently using a Warrior Covert DT1 LT1 with a Yakupov curve, it is similar to the Draper/Kopi. My back up stick is a Bauer Vapor APX, Toews curve, which is pretty close to my Yakupov. Just the right amount of curve for me, and i can still elevate my backhands....which is crucial for a defenseman, LULZ.

Anyhow, I bet you guys are dying to hear about our 10:20pm game last night......we won 5-2, another case of the scoreboard not really showing the domination we exhibited last night. While not the most pretty of goalie styles, their goalie really kept them in the game until the third period, in which he must have started to gas out. That is when we went from being tied at 1-1 and went up 5-1.

We had 14 guys on the bench, at a 10:20pm game, INCREDIBLE. Ended up rolling 9 up front and rotating 5 D. It worked out good for us on D as we took short shifts and one guy wasn't feeling that great so his shifts were extra short. I had 5 or 6 shots from the point that made it through, to the net, but no luck on deflections or redirects. Our passing was pretty decent but there area couple guys that I refuse to pass to since they only keep one hand on their stick and I know that even if I give them the perfect pass, they won't receive it and control it. I hate being "that guy" to give tips on the bench (even though i mentioned it to the guy last season), so now I just avoid passing to him. I believe I picked up a second assist on our 4th goal on a breakout pass to our winger, whom then carried it up the boards and hit our center in the high slot who buried a nice one-timer top shelf! Last nights win keeps us in first place with a record of 2-0-1.

Highlight of the night was opening my bag and realizing I forgot my mesh jock/sock holder-upper. So I played without a cup and I had to tape my socks around my thighs, which held for half of warm-ups. It was annoying to say the least to try and pull the socks up after every shift. My elbows and shinguards are done, well, they have been done. They are probably at least over 12 years old, the velcro is blown out beyond belief and it is annoying to adjust the top bicep portion of my elbow pads after every shift as they always slip down. Looks like a trip to Hockey Giant is in order this Saturday, darn.
https://media.giphy.com/media/UINESuyqnqTKw/giphy.gif

beedee
February 6th, 2017, 11:04 AM
On Saturday I finally replaced my 10+ year old shins with some new ones, check out the foam I glued in the knee cap area! I had also cut off the bottom strap on both shins. Every velcro strap on them and my elbows were blownout. I also bought new elbow pads.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/EB7D05B6-EBA7-4F24-BB01-32AC8ED99ABA_zpsuescz1g8.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/user/stellaplease/media/EB7D05B6-EBA7-4F24-BB01-32AC8ED99ABA_zpsuescz1g8.jpg.html)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/E58988E6-4CC0-460F-B9AC-296A12E5EF9F_zpsufsetlgt.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/user/stellaplease/media/E58988E6-4CC0-460F-B9AC-296A12E5EF9F_zpsufsetlgt.jpg.html)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/stellaplease/BED1941F-BB6D-452E-A383-015C5A24B859_zpsemfzk4b3.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/user/stellaplease/media/BED1941F-BB6D-452E-A383-015C5A24B859_zpsemfzk4b3.jpg.html)

I'll get to use them tonight at our 10:20pm game. :)

eddieshack23
February 6th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Nice pads!

I got new ones last week.

And got hit with a puck. Turned my right leg. It hit the gap just above the skate.

Beautiful purple bruises now.

Luc SkyBomba
February 6th, 2017, 11:42 AM
I love having the guy on the team that yells "helpful information" to everybody (shoot the puck!) but when the puck lands on his stick he's a deer in headlights.

beedee
February 6th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I love having the guy on the team that yells "helpful information" to everybody (shoot the puck!) but when the puck lands on his stick he's a deer in headlights.

LMFAO! Every team has one. We are lucky that we have a guy that yells and screams for people to open the bench door as he is coming off the ice!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/81fa79a65b376a223870c3928110e429/tumblr_inline_ohrih390La1us875a_500.gif

Nyssa42
February 6th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Stop making fun of me!!!

Subhuman15
February 6th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Is anybody here playing in the Throwback tourney?

beedee
February 6th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Is anybody here playing in the Throwback tourney?

Negative, I did last year though when I was playing goalie.
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12716110_10154068015589258_3816583117419957348_o.j pg?oh=c65e7e45434017746d13ea98c06573ce&oe=593B5443

jammer06
February 6th, 2017, 03:44 PM
LMFAO! Every team has one. We are lucky that we have a guy that yells and screams for people to open the bench door as he is coming off the ice!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/81fa79a65b376a223870c3928110e429/tumblr_inline_ohrih390La1us875a_500.gif

That guys not nearly as cool as the guy who opens the door when someone is hopping over it.

xLAxKingsx
February 6th, 2017, 03:47 PM
We got blown out in our championship game 6-2 2 weekends ago. Skate much better towards end of season and had 3 goals and 4 assists to end the season. Compared to 1 assist in my first season ha! Contemplating on playing another rookie season or taking time off and trying to skate better. Though i feel if i give up and try to skate when i can itll be easy to give up going to stick times and ill regress.

jammer06
February 6th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Regular games do keep you in it. Try to find a weekly clinic, they used to be prevelant.

beedee
February 6th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Ooops, good thing I checked our schedule, looks like we have a Bye tonight. This playing every other week stuff blows!

beedee
February 6th, 2017, 04:01 PM
We got blown out in our championship game 6-2 2 weekends ago. Skate much better towards end of season and had 3 goals and 4 assists to end the season. Compared to 1 assist in my first season ha! Contemplating on playing another rookie season or taking time off and trying to skate better. Though i feel if i give up and try to skate when i can itll be easy to give up going to stick times and ill regress.

I heard that Capt. Wild Bill wasn't with you guys all season, something about having to head up to Dutch Harbor early to get the crab boat ready.

Maybe you need a change of scenery (rinks)? Games are where you will pretty much be forced to adapt and push your limits, since you don't have as much time to think about things.

Clinics are cool, but can be hit or miss depending on who runs them. There used to be a great one on Wednesday nights out at KHS in Anaheim put on by a guy named Wes. Your team mate David used to go to them, he and I did one or two when I was first starting out as goalie. I can attest that they are way better than anyone that I ever did at Lakewood (as a goalie). He gets the goalies involved (other than just being the typical target practice) and he has fun and unique ways of doing different drills and stuff.

xLAxKingsx
February 6th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I heard that Capt. Wild Bill wasn't with you guys all season, something about having to head up to Dutch Harbor early to get the crab boat ready.

Maybe you need a change of scenery (rinks)? Games are where you will pretty much be forced to adapt and push your limits, since you don't have as much time to think about things.

Clinics are cool, but can be hit or miss depending on who runs them. There used to be a great one on Wednesday nights out at KHS in Anaheim put on by a guy named Wes. Your team mate David used to go to them, he and I did one or two when I was first starting out as goalie. I can attest that they are way better than anyone that I ever did at Lakewood (as a goalie). He gets the goalies involved (other than just being the typical target practice) and he has fun and unique ways of doing different drills and stuff.

Lol wild bill ended up on another team and he stopped showing up last few games as they were getting torched every game by scores of 6+ and he played D im sure that wasnt fun.

Dave told me about those and suggested them. Im stuck in DTLA and moving to Whitter area so ill be closer to Anaheim but during week still to far from being able to hit up weekday sessions. Gotta find something on the weekends. I might move Rinks and try a new place. Was definitely tested this past season and felt my game get strong playing good competition. It was ran like **** but a email went out apologizing and basically letting us know that director got fired and replaced. So i might try 1 more season at Anaheim Ice luckily my daughter is doing skate lessons and Lil Kings this upcoming month so ill have plenty of public skate sessions to join under the guise of im helping our daughter out. My wife wont be able to complain about spending so much time at rinks anymore!

jammer06
February 10th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Played with the youngins again last night. The leg workouts I've started doing again were definitely making it tough to move at first. Surprisingly though we were tearing our opponent up. Went up 3-0 on just good passing teamwork and speed. I was even a plus 2 even though I wasn't picking up the points. Unfortunately the team we were playing against had the whl kid and after a contested play at the blue line where he took out one of our best skaters with a boot to his head he proceeded to carve our boys up for 4 straight goals. Losing a guy and his push really hurt.
On the positive side I was feeling a lot more involved in the play, i had about 5 shots on goal and not just the dustin brown variety from 60 feet away. Not only that I was working with my linemates, getting passes to people down tight. Not sure their game is slowing down for me yet but I felt a lot more like I belonged out there. At the end of the game I ended up rotated back on D and even managed to stop the whl wunderkid 1-1. He was talking to me as time ran out saying he mistimed me, I shot back "yeah I fooled you, i'm slower than you thought" and he had a laugh. Still they were up 11-6 at that point he didn't need to be going 1-1 with a forward rotated back to D. Anyway hopefully i'll be in something better of shape for the fantasy camp

xLAxKingsx
February 12th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Had my draft skate today. I gotta say they seem to be cleaning up their act. The new director was out on the Ice. Instead of just usual scrimmage he had us run drills for first half. Not let's make everyone comfortable drills either were we shot pucks at boards or skate back and forth. He had us doing backwards skating, front to back transitions and a few drills working inside edges and outside.

Scrimmage was good no super standouts much more balanced on level of play. Say a few good skaters but nothing like past 2 seasons where you could tell guys don't belong. Oh there was also 2 goalies! It also looked like their was enough for 4 teams. Hope it's a fun season.

Luc SkyBomba
February 13th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I love when I'm tying someone up in front of the net, then when the shot comes from the point it bounces off my ass and changes directions on the goalie. It went in.

PS - forgot to mention it was against us haha

beedee
February 13th, 2017, 05:33 PM
^ i know that feel, about 4-5 times last season. :(

We have a 10:20pm game tonight, wife has been sick and I have a scratchy throat. Not sure if I'll play, but I really want to try out my new elbows and shins!

beedee
February 14th, 2017, 10:36 AM
I didn't play last night, the NyQuil kicked in around 9pm. Looks like we won, 6-0.

beedee
February 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM
We won 2-1 last night, puck drop was at 10:20pm.

Overall it felt like when the Kings only score one goal, we were hammering away but couldn't finish the job. Score sheet had us with 37 SOG, seems to be about right. We started off with a perfect 10 players, so two even lines, and then a few minutes into the game an 11th showed up, a D-man. Grrrrreaaatttt....so we rotated 5 D, not the end of the world, but sucks when you can't get any flow and you can't remember who sat the shift cycle before and what not. We all got enough ice time, but you guys know what I mean. I ended up with 5 or 6 shots from the point, all but one made it through to the goalie, most were wristers but I did get a great clapper off about 2.5' off the ice with a perfect screen in front by one of our star wingers. He lifted his leg as he stood at the top of the crease and the goalie somehow got a piece of it, great positioning by our winger and the goalie. Usually I have been using my 85 flex Warrior Covert (cut down by a couple inches, so probably low 90's flex now), but last night I wanted to switch it up and used my Bauer Vapor APX 67 flex (an intermediate stick, which I didn't have to cut). Holy crap was I excited with how whippy it was. I was able to fling shots with ease with that extra flex. There were a couple situations where I had rushed the puck up and didn't have a lot of room for a shot, but still managed to get a couple shots off with much more velocity than I thought I would due to the extra flex. The stick is also much lighter than my Warrior, so at first it was kind of hard to keep it down on the ice, it actually required cognizant effort to do so.

My new shins and elbows felt pretty good out there too, last night was the first time I used them. The elbows felt a little stiff but I'm sure after another couple of uses they will be fine. The shins were great, the padding at the bottom of the plastic didnt extend down quite as far as my old ones over the tongue of my skate, but that was ok as it didn't impede with the forward flex while skating. One other note, I swapped out the crappy original laces that came with my skates, they were pretty thin and didn't have much grip to them, and they created hot spots throughout the boot. It was a pain to find the sweet spot with them. So when I was at Hockey Giant getting my shins and elbows I picked up some wax laces. These were way better (and I got a size shorter), they were wider too, which allowed for better distribution of tension across the boot/tongue. I was able to snug them up enough to be taught, but not too loose, nor too snug. They held amazingly all game long and my feet didn't have one ounce of discomfort. Just something to think about if you have new skates and feel like they aren't broken in yet, maybe try different laces.

There are only 4 teams in our division and we are tied for first with the team that we tied, both of us are undefeated, however they have more Goals For, so they are sitting atop of the standings.

xLAxKingsx
February 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM
We won 2-1 last night, puck drop was at 10:20pm.

Overall it felt like when the Kings only score one goal, we were hammering away but couldn't finish the job. Score sheet had us with 37 SOG, seems to be about right. We started off with a perfect 10 players, so two even lines, and then a few minutes into the game an 11th showed up, a D-man. Grrrrreaaatttt....so we rotated 5 D, not the end of the world, but sucks when you can't get any flow and you can't remember who sat the shift cycle before and what not. We all got enough ice time, but you guys know what I mean. I ended up with 5 or 6 shots from the point, all but one made it through to the goalie, most were wristers but I did get a great clapper off about 2.5' off the ice with a perfect screen in front by one of our star wingers. He lifted his leg as he stood at the top of the crease and the goalie somehow got a piece of it, great positioning by our winger and the goalie. Usually I have been using my 85 flex Warrior Covert (cut down by a couple inches, so probably low 90's flex now), but last night I wanted to switch it up and used my Bauer Vapor APX 67 flex (an intermediate stick, which I didn't have to cut). Holy crap was I excited with how whippy it was. I was able to fling shots with ease with that extra flex. There were a couple situations where I had rushed the puck up and didn't have a lot of room for a shot, but still managed to get a couple shots off with much more velocity than I thought I would due to the extra flex. The stick is also much lighter than my Warrior, so at first it was kind of hard to keep it down on the ice, it actually required cognizant effort to do so.

My new shins and elbows felt pretty good out there too, last night was the first time I used them. The elbows felt a little stiff but I'm sure after another couple of uses they will be fine. The shins were great, the padding at the bottom of the plastic didnt extend down quite as far as my old ones over the tongue of my skate, but that was ok as it didn't impede with the forward flex while skating. One other note, I swapped out the crappy original laces that came with my skates, they were pretty thin and didn't have much grip to them, and they created hot spots throughout the boot. It was a pain to find the sweet spot with them. So when I was at Hockey Giant getting my shins and elbows I picked up some wax laces. These were way better (and I got a size shorter), they were wider too, which allowed for better distribution of tension across the boot/tongue. I was able to snug them up enough to be taught, but not too loose, nor too snug. They held amazingly all game long and my feet didn't have one ounce of discomfort. Just something to think about if you have new skates and feel like they aren't broken in yet, maybe try different laces.

There are only 4 teams in our division and we are tied for first with the team that we tied, both of us are undefeated, however they have more Goals For, so they are sitting atop of the standings.

I want to try wax laces as i feel my laces get loose by 2nd period and slowly start to give way thru 3rd. I also wonder if its because i dont tuck my tongue in? Anyone have input on that? My shins have that extra protection at bottom and i feel them dig into my tongue and press it forward. Does it even matter if you tuck or not? Maybe its just my head making up a excuse for my ****ty lace tying.

beedee
February 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM
I used to "flop" my tongue but didn't like the look. Maybe 5 years ago or so I started putting my shins over the tongue and liked it better. Not sure if the shins pushing down on a flopped tongue might contribute to the loosening up of your laces or not? One thing is for certain, do not over tighten wax laces like you would with the regular ones. They won't budge at all, and your feet will hate you. Also, I used to double knot my laces with the old ones, last night went with a single knot with the waxed and was fine all game long.

xLAxKingsx
February 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks i think ill try tucking in for once. Also only thing that saves me is my skates having that lace lock and it doesnt give much way as my old skates without it did. This is the year of skating better and progressing as embarrassing as it is during public skate im taking my time to learn instead of just skating around forward and being happy with that.

beedee
February 26th, 2017, 10:29 PM
About to head out to my 10:35pm game.

beedee
February 27th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Our unbeaten streak came to an end last night, complements of the other unbeaten team. We lost 4-2, and only had 8 skaters. Im surprised the score wasn't 10-2, they had so many chances that they failed to convert on, and our goalie actually played his ass off and came up huge time and time again. I picked up one assist, nothing fancy, just a pass out of our zone to a forward who wristed it in. I also had quite a few SOG, so that was fun. One shift I probably had 3 or 4 shots from the point, some wristers and some clappers. All made it through, but no luck beating the goalie.

Had we had two extra subs (to make it two even lines) I have a feeling the outcome would have been different, I know we were pretty gassed on the defensive side of things. Next week we play on Monday at 9pm, these 10:35pm games suck, usually they start late and then I'm not home until after midnight (and I'm only 10 minutes from the rink). The worst part about them to me is the deep sense of tiredness I have on Monday morning, really dragging ass this morning. :o/

LetTigerIn
February 27th, 2017, 11:33 AM
After more than a month off due to multiple bye weeks and a prolonged illness, I finally re-joined my team yesterday for a fun and hard-fought 3-2 victory.

Surprisingly, I had a pretty good skate (for me, anyway), especially for such a prolonged layoff. It was probably the most locked into the flow of the game I've ever felt. Unfortunately, it will be three weeks until my next league game. Going to try to get some good ice time before then, though. I was an encouraging win, especially proud of my backchecking, takeaways and blocks.

beedee
March 7th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Good things happen when the Long Beach State goalie subs for your team, we won 6-0.

The team we played was in the upper level of our division, with half of them being at the upper level, the other half not so much. Our first period was pretty bad, we gave up a lot of shots, but then we got it together for the remainder of the game. I had a couple shots, nothing spectacular, it was one of those games where I just felt a little off, partial whiffs on passes and stuff like that. I ended up switching from my very light Bauer Vapor APX stick to my not quite as light Warrior stick at the beginning of the second period. This helped me a little bit in regards to keeping my stick down a bit more, or maybe it was placebo?

Thats about it to report, nothing super exciting happened, I believe we are back at it on Sunday at 8:40pm, finally a game before 10:30pm!!!

Luc SkyBomba
March 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM
I finally got on the stat sheet this season! Two for tripping, two for roughing! The bright side though, the last three games have all been one goal losses as opposed to five goal losses. Two of those were in OT.

LetTigerIn
March 7th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I had a couple shots, nothing spectacular, it was one of those games where I just felt a little off, partial whiffs on passes and stuff like that. I ended up switching from my very light Bauer Vapor APX stick to my not quite as light Warrior stick at the beginning of the second period. This helped me a little bit in regards to keeping my stick down a bit more, or maybe it was placebo?

Sending yourself a message? Like changing goalies to wake up a team?

jammer06
March 7th, 2017, 04:42 PM
He coulda chucked it into the penalty box to let it cool off

xLAxKingsx
March 8th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Have my first game in awhile this saturday. New team names are rather random but ill be a crossbar cronie. Season seems good 4 teams and all have a goalie! Thats a step up from last season.

beedee
March 8th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Have my first game in awhile this saturday. New team names are rather random but ill be a crossbar cronie. Season seems good 4 teams and all have a goalie! Thats a step up from last season.
Are you and Peggy on the same team again this season? He mentioned he has an 11:10pm game tonight!!!!
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/kill_myself_nph.gif

xLAxKingsx
March 8th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Are you and Peggy on the same team again this season? He mentioned he has an 11:10pm game tonight!!!!
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/kill_myself_nph.gif

No he went up to Copper! No way i can play that schedule. Hey question about sticks since you mentioned your dilemma above. I have the same problem but i use a 75 flex thats light and i whiff on hard passes since i dont keep my stick down. When i use my 87 flex i can catch passes and dish much better but my shooting lacks cause i cant get a good flex on it. Should i use a higher end 87 flex thats lighter yet stronger? Or would a higher end 75 flex be stronger? Or is there a in between maybe i just suck at shooting. https://media4.giphy.com/media/Vvvl7RNymbGjS/200.gif#97

Luc SkyBomba
March 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM
No he went up to Copper! No way i can play that schedule. Hey question about sticks since you mentioned your dilemma above. I have the same problem but i use a 75 flex thats light and i whiff on hard passes since i dont keep my stick down. When i use my 87 flex i can catch passes and dish much better but my shooting lacks cause i cant get a good flex on it. Should i use a higher end 87 flex thats lighter yet stronger? Or would a higher end 75 flex be stronger? Or is there a in between maybe i just suck at shooting. https://media4.giphy.com/media/Vvvl7RNymbGjS/200.gif#97

Sounds mental. They tell me to keep my stick down too (well pass the puck dickheads!). I'd stick to the 75 flex until you build up the strength to flex that 87.

beedee
March 8th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I agree with Luc. Some nights I'm just off my game a bit. My 67 flex is rad when I get a good snap/wrister off, but sometimes it sucks when receiving hard passes because of how whippy it is. My problem with the 75 flex is that I have to cut two-three inches off it and it becomes closer to a 90 flex. Its not the end of the world, but now that I am playing defense full time, the slightly stiffer stick is good for slap shots from the point.

Luc SkyBomba
March 8th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I agree with Luc. Some nights I'm just off my game a bit. My 67 flex is rad when I get a good snap/wrister off, but sometimes it sucks when receiving hard passes because of how whippy it is. My problem with the 75 flex is that I have to cut two-three inches off it and it becomes closer to a 90 flex. Its not the end of the world, but now that I am playing defense full time, the slightly stiffer stick is good for slap shots from the point.

Ah yeah, I forgot about the change when you cut your stick. That's actually why I moved to a 75 from 85 because I cut my stick down a little.

beedee
March 13th, 2017, 09:26 AM
We won last night, 9-7.

That being said, we only had 6 skaters, yes 6, one of which was a sub. So only 5 of our rostered 14 players showed up...talk about aggravating. Im tired AF this morning! At one point in the game we were down 7-3, and then we ended up scoring 6 unanswered goals, it was nuts. I had over 10 SOG from the point, so that was fun, my first one hit the inside corner of where the post meets the crossbar and unfortunately bounced away towards the slot. Later in the second period I had one go off the far post and clank away from the net as well. I did manage what turned out to be a shot-pass for a nice deflection in for a goal, so that was cool. I paced myself really well throughout the game and never got to the point of exhaustion, but as I'm sure a few of you know, with only one sub, you don't get much time to suck wind on the bench.

First period: I skated the entire period
Second period: Two breaks (and our goalie called a timeout)
Third period: Two breaks.

I'm too tired to write any more, oh yeah, screw this time change too!

**Forgot to add, I went back to using my lighter stick for this game, didn't have any issues.

xLAxKingsx
March 13th, 2017, 11:58 AM
We had our first game Saturday. It was 11-0 at the end but they stopped once we hit 8-0 in the 2nd period. I skated fairly good have been going to public sessions at least 1-2 times a week. Its improved to the point my old team mates said WHAT THE FVCK you are a 100% changed skater from last season. So that was encouraging and even more was i got a goal! So it was a fun start to the season. It wasnt a fun game in the sense that by 3rd period we coasted and felt bad for other team. Its also kinda boring when you yell to each other let them skate and play the puck. But as soon as they crossed the red line they would dump the puck and not even chase. https://media2.giphy.com/media/26FxokTd4sr4BjhMA/200w.gif#66 Hope the rest of the teams are good.

beedee
March 13th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Nice job on the goal, and the improved skating. I feel very awkward when i go public skating since I am used to having my gear on.

Was the other team true, brand new rookies? That is whats tough about rookie, is you have people that are truly brand brand new, and other teams that have people that are first through 4th season rookies...those teams are the ones that usually dominate for the obvious reasons.

xLAxKingsx
March 13th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Nice job on the goal, and the improved skating. I feel very awkward when i go public skating since I am used to having my gear on.

Was the other team true, brand new rookies? That is whats tough about rookie, is you have people that are truly brand brand new, and other teams that have people that are first through 4th season rookies...those teams are the ones that usually dominate for the obvious reasons.

I feel awkward as hell also but i cant get to stick times often so i must do with that.

They had a few that maybe where in their 2nd or 3rd season. But most of them i think where new to a extent they knew how skate just not very well. Our team is made up of 8 skaters from my previous 2 teams so we have some chemistry playing together and we have quite a few seasons in. 1 of our players we did ask him to play nothing but D cause he really doesnt belong in Rookie.

Nyssa42
March 13th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm on a new, all-chicks team. I have never played with only women before....it is beginner level, and some of the people are brand new. I feel like frickin' Jagr out there....it is kind of fun to be one of the best players for once! The games are like in super slow motion. I'm playing D, and it is so easy. I had a chance to go grab the puck sitting right in the slot where I probably would have scored last night, but I didn't take the chance because I am so used to the speed of my other team. Had a great rush up the ice another time, but one of the newbies went offside.
The most interesting part of it is how much I notice my arm strength compared to the other "girls". I have to remember when I play against the guys on my other team that I must use ALL my arm strength in a board battle or even just poking the puck off a player's stick. Because I barely have to use any force against most of the girls. I can keep playing till I am 80 in this league! Actually, I hope people stick with it and get better so that the competition is a little better next season. I can tell the other teams have improved, and we have only had a 10 week season. Playoffs are next week and the week after. (only 4 teams in the league).

jammer06
March 13th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I feel awkward as hell also but i cant get to stick times often so i must do with that.

They had a few that maybe where in their 2nd or 3rd season. But most of them i think where new to a extent they knew how skate just not very well. Our team is made up of 8 skaters from my previous 2 teams so we have some chemistry playing together and we have quite a few seasons in. 1 of our players we did ask him to play nothing but D cause he really doesnt belong in Rookie.

Wear your gear at the public skate, its better to look awkward but not be afraid of improving and falling down, than not improving cuz you feel awkward and are afraid to fall down.

beedee
March 21st, 2017, 10:16 AM
We lost last night, 6-4. The opponent was the Knights, whom was our nemesis last season, and they got moved up for this season. They are one of the most polished beer league teams I've played against. I had a hunch they play together more than once a week, and I was talking to a ref after the game in the parking lot and mentioned that they had remarkable chemistry for a beer league team. He said most of them skate at a pick-up there Wednesday nights, it really shows, they are good!

My legs felt like cement for most of the first period, and I was feeling kind of blah most of the game. I even took the PGD (pre-game dump) upon arriving at the rink (i always try to avoid this, but sometimes you can't). I had a handful of shots from the point, a nice one-timer right off of a face off that was won back to me, I sailed it just over the corner of the crossbar by about 5", it was a beauty as I really got ahold of it, almost felt like one of those amazing shots in golf where you don't even feel the ball contact the club! Later in the third I hit the far post on a back hander, like 1/2" to the left and it would have gone in, oh whales. It was refreshing to have 2 full lines of forwards and D again, so that was nice. We had a sub goalie again, whom kept us in the game, we gave up so many outnumbered attacks it was embarrassing...again, this other team really could skate!

Looks like we are back at it on Sunday at 8:40pm.

xLAxKingsx
March 21st, 2017, 11:23 AM
Played my 2nd game this past Saturday. It was my first time getting into it with someone. Other team had a copper goalie sub and he was really good. So their D started playing really lose and rough so i started to dish it back. Dude tripped me on a play and when i fell the puck was at his feet so i slashed him hard on the shins and he started to cry. I laughed and he went on to yell stop it or im gonna kick your butt. I laughed some more and kept playing him hard he ended up switching to right D next shift till end of game. I dont get it if you wanna play rough im fine with it just take it back and dont cry. I was a bit emotional though we couldnt get anything past the goalie and were down 6-0 in third till we dropped 4 on him in last 5 mins. Still ended up losing and he didnt say anything else. Wont see them until 3 weeks from now but im looking forward to it. Hopefully they have their rookie goalie and its a even matched game.

beedee
March 21st, 2017, 02:20 PM
Played my 2nd game this past Saturday. It was my first time getting into it with someone. Other team had a copper goalie sub and he was really good. So their D started playing really lose and rough so i started to dish it back. Dude tripped me on a play and when i fell the puck was at his feet so i slashed him hard on the shins and he started to cry. I laughed and he went on to yell stop it or im gonna kick your butt. I laughed some more and kept playing him hard he ended up switching to right D next shift till end of game. I dont get it if you wanna play rough im fine with it just take it back and dont cry. I was a bit emotional though we couldnt get anything past the goalie and were down 6-0 in third till we dropped 4 on him in last 5 mins. Still ended up losing and he didnt say anything else. Wont see them until 3 weeks from now but im looking forward to it. Hopefully they have their rookie goalie and its a even matched game.

Ahh yes, the billy bad ass that can dish it out but can't take it, every team has a few of them. The best is when they get in your face and try to act tough, and then you drop the gloves, land a few before the refs tackle you and then the guy usually cries even harder. "WTF man, its just beer league"....well don't try to act tough and get in my face if you aren't ready to knuckle up.

xLAxKingsx
March 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM
Ahh yes, the billy bad ass that can dish it out but can't take it, every team has a few of them. The best is when they get in your face and try to act tough, and then you drop the gloves, land a few before the refs tackle you and then the guy usually cries even harder. "WTF man, its just beer league"....well don't try to act tough and get in my face if you aren't ready to knuckle up.

Only reason i would avoid any contact is not because im afraid of getting kicked out or suspended his team is made up of 5 friends and im sure they would all jump on me and my team is made up of softies this season.

I just dont get how people like to play rough but then get mad when they get it back. I was having a good time it was nice to play slightly aggressive.

beedee
March 21st, 2017, 02:37 PM
Only reason i would avoid any contact is not because im afraid of getting kicked out or suspended his team is made up of 5 friends and im sure they would all jump on me and my team is made up of softies this season.

I just dont get how people like to play rough but then get mad when they get it back. I was having a good time it was nice to play slightly aggressive.

I hear ya man. As you guys advance and move up, you'll see the contact will tend to increase, as will scrums, and eventually fisticuffs. Been involved in quite a few myself, that is what was so great about the last team I played for. No one took any crap and scuffles ensued. One time some dumbass on the other team ran our goalie...as I pulled him off our goalie by his cage, (and eventually pulled his helmet off) our goalie went to town with his blocker to the guys dome. I kid you not, 5 or 6 blocker shots to the guys head, he literally was KO'ed. Never ever run a goalie.

xLAxKingsx
March 21st, 2017, 02:42 PM
I hear ya man. As you guys advance and move up, you'll see the contact will tend to increase, as will scrums, and eventually fisticuffs. Been involved in quite a few myself, that is what was so great about the last team I played for. No one took any crap and scuffles ensued. One time some dumbass on the other team ran our goalie...as I pulled him off our goalie by his cage, (and eventually pulled his helmet off) our goalie went to town with his blocker to the guys dome. I kid you not, 5 or 6 blocker shots to the guys head, he literally was KO'ed. Never ever run a goalie.

Thats what i hear and thats why im trying my hardest to improve my skating and game. Ive actually been hitting the rink 2-3 a week now. I was hustling hard and playing with some fire instead of the usual lets just have fun and play like we are kids. I want to get better and move on from this low level and get on with a team that hopefully sticks around for awhile. Some copper games ive seen dudes playing together for a long time make it look really fun out there.

Myk13
March 24th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Going to pick up in Carlsbad today if anyone is down

xLAxKingsx
March 26th, 2017, 06:25 PM
3rd game of the season and it ended at 12-5. I also scored 2 goals and not meaning less goals either lol. Scored to tie it and then scored to take the lead 3-2. They where also very nice first one off a face off from the top circle I let it rip and beat the goalie over the shoulder top shelf thru traffic. Even the ref gave me a high five and a damn that was nice comment. My 2nd game came on a break away once I entered their zone the D got me off the puck and he over skated I said **** it and stopped as hard as I could even though stopping is terrible for me. Picked up the puck left circle and beat the goalie far post 7th hole. It was a huge booster for the night and I feel my game improving. Hopefully I can join hat trick club this season.

beedee
March 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM
^ Nice job man, sounds like you are finding your groove!

We lost last night, 7-4. We only had 7 skaters, I'm getting really tired of this crap where only half or less than half of the team shows up. I had a major blunder when trying to zip a home run pass to our winger at the far blue line, I ended up fanning on the pass from the top of our own face off circle, their winger picked it up and scored....pretty sweet. The other team had "that guy" on it, where he would slash anyone and everyone, and then when you call him out on it, "F You Bitch!" is all he could say. I could see their team talking to him throughout the game after such incidents, which leads me to believe the guy is a complete dickhead and this happens all the time.

Anyhow, I'm starting to think this will be my last season with this team, I'm too old for this BS of no one showing up and late game times. I might just play pickup from here on out. No outrageous league fees, no worries about teammates not showing up, no refs, etc....