PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2nd pick in the draft.

Hkyfmly
June 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
So do the Lakers take the kid from DUke at 2 or treadr it away? Please take him and improve the team. Thoughts?

HeadInjury
June 23rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Regarding the unsubstantiated rumors of swapping #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) for Cousins, don't forget the cap implications. Trading for Cousins would cost the team around $10 million in cap space compared to drafting Okafor on a rookie deal. So the trade is effectively #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) pick + solid free agent for Cousins.

Bad idea.

SmytheKing
June 23rd, 2015, 04:56 PM
Regarding the unsubstantiated rumors of swapping #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) for Cousins, don't forget the cap implications. Trading for Cousins would cost the team around $10 million in cap space compared to drafting Okafor on a rookie deal. So the trade is effectively #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) pick + solid free agent for Cousins.

Bad idea.

I was also hearing talk that they'd get the #6 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6) pick as well. While that's a little more palatable, I really don't want him in LA. A malcontent with no leadership to control him? No thanks.

I gotta think they end up going with Okafor at this point. Seems Towns is going to MN and they aren't too sold on Okafor and Russell enough to go against the grain and pick the guard. I hear talk about that Croatian kid, but he looks pretty clumsy and slow. Shoots the lights out though. Pick Okafor, try and get a solid wing at 27 to play defense, pray you can get a Durant or Westbrook in another year, and build out a bench with some key pickups this offseason and next.

HeadInjury
June 23rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
Most of these reports are just being thrown out there to get Internet clicks. I see the Lakers drafting Okafor too.

TooCool
June 24th, 2015, 09:03 AM
The only thing that scares me is that Jim Buss is behind the wheel here.

The Lakers should draft Okafor. No ifs and or buts... unless the T-Wolves snatch him up for some reason, then we get Towns. And who knows... maybe Dwayne Wade will opt out and sign with the Lakers to play with Kobe as well.

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 08:35 AM
More and more reports coming that the Lakers are going to draft Russell. Could just be a smokescreen to try and get something from PHI too knowing they're high on him? Hearing this morning that Okafor's second workout wasn't too good and Russell's was and that's where it's coming from.

Having said that, if the Lakers did that, and then maybe traded Clarkson and Randle for Cousins, are you happy if they can also pick up Aldridge or Love as a FA?

TooCool
June 25th, 2015, 09:27 AM
More and more reports coming that the Lakers are going to draft Russell. Could just be a smokescreen to try and get something from PHI too knowing they're high on him? Hearing this morning that Okafor's second workout wasn't too good and Russell's was and that's where it's coming from.

Having said that, if the Lakers did that, and then maybe traded Clarkson and Randle for Cousins, are you happy if they can also pick up Aldridge or Love as a FA?

If the Lakers know they can get Love to sign here (since he is gonna opt out for a bigger contract), then I'm okay with drafting Russell since we're going to lose Lin anyway. Otherwise, I would still rather have Okafor.. especially since we don't know if Randle is injury prone or not.

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 09:44 AM
If the Lakers know they can get Love to sign here (since he is gonna opt out for a bigger contract), then I'm okay with drafting Russell since we're going to lose Lin anyway. Otherwise, I would still rather have Okafor.. especially since we don't know if Randle is injury prone or not.

Listening to Cowherd (ugh) right now and he just had Ramona on. The thought is that Kupchack wants Okafor, Scott wants Russell, and Buss(t) wants Porzingis. Of course he does.

HeadInjury
June 25th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I think it's pointless to listen to all the talking heads now. Everyone is trolling for hits and contradicting each other and themselves.

I'm pretty sure that if the Lakers traded for Cousins then there would not be room for a max offer to Love or Aldridge. All the more reason to take advantage of the rookie scale and draft Okafor or Russell.

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I think it's pointless to listen to all the talking heads now. Everyone is trolling for hits and contradicting each other and themselves.

I'm pretty sure that if the Lakers traded for Cousins then there would not be room for a max offer to Love or Aldridge. All the more reason to take advantage of the rookie scale and draft Okafor or Russell.

There would be room. Cousins is "only" making like 14 a year. I wouldn't like to get him, but it's a scenario that's trying to be worked out. I don't think it would happen, but there's enough smoke here to know the discussions have been happening.

VEGASKING
June 25th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I'll be happy with any 2 of the following without giving up Clarkson or Randle in the process: Okafor, Russell, Cousins, Aldridge and Love. With Kobe there's your 5 starters for next season.

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 04:49 PM
...and Russell it is.

Now, do they keep him or is he part of a trade for something else? Cousins wouldn't really make sense, but who knows?

Looks like they're going hard for Love or Aldridge in the offseason. Or any of the other 10 big men available.

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM
...I'm also not too big to brag that I called the Lakers picking a guard when SOMEONE was calling me an idiot and dumb for even suggesting they'd take someone besides Okafor. Feels good. :)

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Heh. This oughta go over well. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIZTnxjUYAATv_0.jpg:large

TooCool
June 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Heh. This oughta go over well. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIZTnxjUYAATv_0.jpg:large

:lol:

Kobe should just straight up smack him then show him that tweet.

redxalonso
June 26th, 2015, 03:47 AM

LOL
Karma's a beeyotch!

redxalonso
June 26th, 2015, 04:06 AM
Russell/Clarkson
Kobe/Anthony Brown
Rim protector with some OFF./Upshaw?
Randle/Black
KD2016/Larry Nance Jr.

Coach: David Blatt or Tyrone Lue

2016 NBA Champions

redxalonso
June 26th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I'm excited about Larry Nance Jr.

Very athletic and aggressive 6'8 forward who can shoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkwJJS-3lk

SmytheKing
June 26th, 2015, 06:36 AM
I'm excited about Larry Nance Jr.

Very athletic and aggressive 6'8 forward who can shoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkwJJS-3lk

According to what I was hearing last night, he's lost a LOT of that athleticism because of a blown out ACL he got. Still, seems like a pick designed to fill some gaps off the bench. Hope it works out.

I'm super excited to see what Russell can do with Randle over the next couple of years though. Seriously, go find tapes of him and watch his play and passing. He should be a good one.

redxalonso
June 26th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Agreed. He's going to bring Showtime back.

HeadInjury
June 26th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Lakers have signed Robert Upshaw to their summer league team.

Upshaw has first round talent. Maybe even lottery talent, but was kicked off of both Fresno State and Washington in college. Substance abuse and other problems. Supposedly trying to get his life together.

The Lakers summer league team is going to be ridiculous. Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Nance, Brown and Upshaw.

SmytheKing
June 26th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Lakers have signed Robert Upshaw to their summer league team.

Upshaw has first round talent. Maybe even lottery talent, but was kicked off of both Fresno State and Washington in college. Substance abuse and other problems. Supposedly trying to get his life together.

The Lakers summer league team is going to be ridiculous. Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Nance, Brown and Upshaw.

I was leery of using a pick on the guy...but if he can get his head on (doubtful), this could be a HUGE pickup for them. He'll slot in nicely as a rim protector and would likely be a lottery pick if not for his headcase issues. Averaged something like 3.5 blocks a game if I recall?

redxalonso
June 28th, 2015, 05:44 AM
I was leery of using a pick on the guy...but if he can get his head on (doubtful), this could be a HUGE pickup for them. He'll slot in nicely as a rim protector and would likely be a lottery pick if not for his headcase issues. Averaged something like 3.5 blocks a game if I recall?

The main reason why he wasn't drafted is because of a heart condition he currently has.

DeAndre Jordan is a UFA, though.

SmytheKing
June 28th, 2015, 09:01 AM

The main reason why he wasn't drafted is because of a heart condition he currently has.

DeAndre Jordan is a UFA, though.

I thought it was because of his getting the boot from two teams last season? Am I thinking of the wrong dude? The guy from Washington right? Could swear he was having off court issues. Though, a heart condition doesn't help either.

mrm55
June 28th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Two reasons:

"...Perhaps being booted from two teams in two years and admitting to a substance-abuse problem scared NBA teams away from Robert Upshaw, who wasn?t among the 60 players selected in Thursday?s NBA draft.

Or maybe a heart condition that was detected at last month?s NBA combine had something to do with the 7-foot shot-blocking phenom going undrafted despite many draft analysts projecting him as a second-round pick."

redxalonso
June 29th, 2015, 12:06 AM
I thought it was because of his getting the boot from two teams last season? Am I thinking of the wrong dude? The guy from Washington right? Could swear he was having off court issues. Though, a heart condition doesn't help either.

Nope. You've got the right dude. His partying with alcohol and drugs got him kicked out of two programs. However, it was the his reported heart problems that prompted teams to stay away. His heart examination came back negative, though.

If he stays sober, and his health is indeed a non-issue, then the Lakers have an absolute steal.

Ice24
June 29th, 2015, 07:17 AM

probably should have left off #rapist (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=rapist) , the other stuff is OK. Kobe was just getting some strange in the mile high city.

Wolvie
June 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Russell was the guy I was hoping they'd take, but I honestly didn't think they would.

mrm55
June 30th, 2015, 02:45 PM
If we get LaMarcus Aldridge, I'm okay with Russell going ahead of Okafor.

If we don't land a quality big we're SOL. With no first round choice next year (no way we fall to the protected top 3 pick).

HeadInjury
June 30th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Rumor from Woj is that the Lakers are trying to get both Aldridge and DeAndre Jordan.

Hypothetically speaking (not part of the rumor), if they could get rid of contracts of Young, Kelly, Sacre, etc., they could offer around $15 million each on deals with opt out after year 1, then sign both to max deals next year.

Not likely to happen but I like that it appears they're swinging for the fences again.

mrm55
July 1st, 2015, 07:42 AM
I'd love to see those 2 guys. Unfortunately most teams are dumping salaries now. So dumping Young, et al probably isn't happening.

MaxwellSmart
July 1st, 2015, 11:24 AM
Here are a couple of rumors from SI:

The Lakers failed to make a "strong impression" on Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge in their meeting and the Spurs are "close" on him, reports Wojnarowski. Wojnarowski adds a decision from Aldridge may be coming soon.

The Lakers "have a shot" at signing Cavs forward Kevin Love and will meet with the free agent big man, reports Bleacher Report's Howard Beck.

MaxwellSmart
July 1st, 2015, 11:34 AM
Oh well. Greg Monroe, maybe?

I?m going back to Cleveland. (http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-cavaliers-unfinished-business/)

mrm55
July 1st, 2015, 11:45 AM
Before the dinner:
Kupchak-"LaMarcus we want you to be the face of the Lakers franchise."
LaMarcus-"Sounds real good to me."

During dinner:
LaMarcus-"So Kobe you going to be hanging them up after this year?"
Kobe-"You kidding man, I never felt better."

= failed to make a strong impression

TooCool
July 1st, 2015, 11:47 AM
Before the dinner:
Kupchak-"LaMarcus we want you to be the face of the Lakers franchise."
LaMarcus-"Sounds real good to me."

During dinner:
LaMarcus-"So Kobe you going to be hanging them up after this year?"
Kobe-"You kidding man, I never felt better."

= failed to make a strong impression

Truthfully though... I don't understand why they need a freaking Power Point Presentation. I remember they gave that to Dwight Howard.

All you need to say is, "Purple and Gold. You're either in or you're out."

MaxwellSmart
July 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
As Mike_Bresnahan says, Aldridge felt too much of Lakers presentation focused on outside opportunities; wanted clearer, better b-ball focus

Geez. How embarrassing.

mrm55
July 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM
Yep, Kobe ran another one out of town. I've lost count, is that four bigs he's taken away from us?

"Lakers Rumors: Kobe Bryant, LaMarcus Aldridge ?Didn?t Gel? In Meeting"

Mike Bresnahan
✔ ‎@Mike_Bresnahan
More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seekin

Mike Bresnahan
✔ ‎@Mike_Bresnahan
Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did.

Great Pau couldn't get out of here quick enough. Playing an extra year for FREE to get out of here. Boy that Kobe is a smooth talker...

Who do we thank for passing on Okafor. Jimmy Boy??

LetTigerIn
July 2nd, 2015, 06:38 AM
Lakers News: Meeting With DeAndre Jordan ?Somewhat Underwhelming? (http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-meeting-with-deandre-jordan-somewhat-underwhelming/2015/07/01/)

mrm55
July 2nd, 2015, 07:29 AM
Apparently we are out of good big men. Passing over a once in every 10 year top rated big in the draft for a guard. Now no bigs want to come here..\ Looks like the only way to get a good big was through the draft and Jimmy (he's in charge) passed on that. The post below is from lead writer at Laker Nation. What a legacy Jimmy is leaving.

"Unfortunately, if Jordan and Monroe both pass, and that seems to be the case at this point in time, the team will have to pursue other options to upgrade the roster. One player the Lakers may start seriously showing interest in is Tobias Harris."

Tobias W-H-O????? Nice draft pick Jimmy...

TooCool
July 2nd, 2015, 08:09 AM
At the rate this is going, Randle better be healthy.

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
If they offer Harris the max, Orlando will match at this point.

Monroe is getting the max from the Bucks. He isn't worth that and isn't the answer anyway.

Aldridge is 30. The Lakers are a few years away at a minimum, so it wasn't a great fit. Look at it from his perspective. Kobe hasn't lasted a season in 3 years, and Randle and Russell have 15 minutes of NBA experience between them. Is Aldridge supposed to get excited about Clarkson? San Antonio and the other teams bidding for him are much better fits.

Rebuilding takes time. I just hope they add a good piece. I like Ed Davis a lot. Hopefully he is back. Aside from that, they might wan't to consider another Lin like trade, getting a first for taking on a contract. Doesn't Indy want to get rid of Hibbert?

mrm55
July 2nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
"Heading into free agency, the Los Angeles Lakers had high hopes of landing an All-Star player. Unfortunately, these players have either re-signed or signed elsewhere as the storied franchise is looking to improve their talent." -Laker Nation

No one wants to come to the purple and gold. We are the Clippers of 20 years ago. Last 2 to come were Steve Nash, divorced from wife and kids in AZ so chose closest team, to see his kids. Dwight ran out of here as fast as he could.

We had one chance at the gold ring (Okafor), and Jimmy choice a guard. He made the wrong choice. Laker employees and personnel watching the draft "gasped" when we took Russell with the #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) .

We are a long, long way away.

Step down Jimmy. It's too late, but step down. You're as good at making b-ball decisions as you were a horse trainer. Yeah folks before running the Lakers he was a horse trainer. He had 6 horses. Guess what? All owned by his dad. He sucked as a trainer, and they sold the horses off and closed the stable. Deja Vue, we're at the same point now. Sell this franchise now. None off you can hold a candle to your dad.

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
And there goes Ed Davis.

Not the end of the world, but I liked him.

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
Woj reporting Lakers getting a second meeting with Aldridge today.

My guess is that they have another move set up if he signs.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
And there goes Ed Davis.

Not the end of the world, but I liked him.

Interesting. 20 mil to Portland.

He wasn't bad. He didn't get much playing time when it mattered since Scott was trying to tank. That was the problem with our team. We couldn't win because we had to tank.

mrm55
July 2nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
Laker mystique is dead:

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/2/8880797/la-lakers-lamarcus-aldridge-rumors-nba-free-agency-2015

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Well, Clippers' offseason is worse than Lakers. Reports have DeAndre Jordan signing with the Mavs.

FortyFour
July 3rd, 2015, 01:58 PM
Lakers made the right pick at #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) , but Okafor will be good.

Forget about maxing out tier 2 guys like Jordan. Forget about throwing money at a guy because they are the best available player each offseason. Continue to accumulate young, flexible talent (ala Russell, Randal, Clarkson). Eventually, a top tier generational talent will become available. When that time comes, the young flexible core, together with the allure of playing in LA, will attract the big dogs (see Shaq, Kareem).

The Laker allure alone is not enough right now, nor should it be. The road back to the top will be a long one this time around, but it will happen.

mrm55
July 3rd, 2015, 02:42 PM
No one wants to come here.

We will be lucky to get that stiff Jordan Hill back, and I'd rather see you play center than him.

Only way we can get anyone now is through the draft. We are a laughing stock. Buss blew it on a 6'5" guard. HUGE mistake!

FortyFour
July 3rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Babble blabble. Loud noises.

mrm55
July 3rd, 2015, 02:55 PM

Your reasoning is exactly that.

You lose sonny.

FortyFour
July 3rd, 2015, 03:17 PM
If it's a pissing match over who the Lakers should've picked, we won't know who "lost" for many years. I do know that the Lakers historically acquire their bigs, not draft them.

If it's me failing to bring a panicking, pouting, self proclaimed Laker head back to Earth and put things in perspective for them, then I guess I lost. I'm ok with that. Carry on pal.

mrm55
July 3rd, 2015, 04:00 PM
I just don't have time to teach first year Laker fans what's going on. Ask your older brother or daddy. But this should help you.

"As the second full day of free agency closes, the Los Angeles Lakers' failure to make any sort of headway in the market has become abundantly clear. The cream of the crop options have not been receptive to the Lakers' entreaties, the lack of alacrity in moving onto the secondary market has allowed several of those in the second and third tier to go elsewhere, and with a few exceptions, the remaining field looks fairly dismal. Barring a savior appearing out of the blue, the Lakers very well might go into next year with roster looking much as it does now: Kobe Bryant, a collection of promising young prospects, and precious little else."

I mean can you read and understand this?

I think it may be too complex for you.

hokiecat
July 3rd, 2015, 05:24 PM
Babble blabble.

Oh noes.

mrm55
July 3rd, 2015, 06:00 PM
Can you imagine Jerry Buss being turned down by every major free agent in the NBA?

How tone-deaf are Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss? Don't they have any league intelligence to tell them who may be receptive to their overtures before they go all out, only to be embarrassingly rejected? All the cap room in the world means nothing if you can't get the first guy to come.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Mike Bresnahan
✔ ‎@Mike_Bresnahan
Kosta Kofous is "on our radar," according to Lakers source. No signing imminent. They need somebody. Anybody, really.

Hey Fourty Four how's that dime a dozen guard working out for Ya? Did he entice all the bigs to want to come here? Don't forget to put that tooth that fail out under the pillow tonight. The tooth fairy might leave you a quarter.

No pissing contest here. Anyone that knows basketball knows your choice screwed the pooch. Dream on neophyte. LMAO

FortyFour
July 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM
You're incredibly short sighted. I'm talking years down the line. No **** people aren't lining up to play with a rookie PG and PF this year.

You keep combing through the dregs of ESPN and fan boy NBA blogger sites to make your case. The more you talk, the more I realize that you've completely missed the point.

I've already accepted the reality of the situation. There is no quick fix for this team, and they aren't an attractive destination right now. Stop losing sleep over it. I have.

The best thing this years team can do is refrain from offering max money to any of these bozo FA's, and continue to get younger and more flexible. In a few years, the team will look more attractive to FA's if Russell blossoms and Randle develops. Especially if we have 2 max contracts to offer.

Guards might be a dime a dozen, but so are big men who flop and don't amount to anything.

Oh and you can get the **** outta here with that sonny BS. Save it for the bloggers you've been following on social media. That was funny.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 03:27 PM
ESPN is reporting Lakers get their 7th choice- Roy Hibbert. A center so slow the coach of the Pacers said he would bench him this upcoming season, because he's so slow. Even though he's plodding and slow and due to make $16,000,000 this year, who would take him? That basketball genius- Jimmy Buss.

Oh and the Pacers did this because they could replace Hibbert with the center they just acquired in the draft, Myles Turner. That's right Turner in this years draft with Okafor, and can't hold Okafor's jock strap, and we get the guy he's replacing.

Go D'Angelo. LOL

Fourty Four stick to curling, something you know something about. Certainly not basketball. Sonny.

FortyFour
July 4th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Maybe I'll learn something by swinging off the nuts of some hipster bloggers?

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Maybe I'll learn something by swinging off the nuts of some hipster bloggers?

I got Pm'd you do that for free.

First you said D'Angelo was a better pick. That has proven you wrong!

One person who could've made a immediate impact is Okafor. Now you whine, "oh dear maybe I was wrong, it may take years, if ever." You're the biggest back pedaller in the history of sports.

btw have you ever had an original thought? Or do just parrot what your Millenial father says to you? Sonny!!!

FortyFour
July 4th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I finally just realized why no one else is engaging with you. Take a nap, and enjoy the silence.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Fourty Four can you go get your Millenial dad to put together a rational argument? You're just not capable. Sad really.

You lose again, Sonny.

FortyFour
July 4th, 2015, 04:17 PM
That's the thing, we weren't arguing. You made your point, I made my point. You got extremely butt hurt that someone didn't share your opinion, and proceeded to act like a 5 year old. I'm cracking up over here. Please don't ever change.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Who's the 5 year old? ^^^

That's the thing I proved your point wrong. Lakers wouldn't be taking this crappy 7th choice if they would have taken Okafor. We could have gotten a quality guard at 27 or 33 and had no problems with a big. I proved you wrong. You see it, but won't admit it. Now you act out whining, and crying, and obfuscating the real issue, like a 12 year old. Grow up sonny.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Great article by Plaschke saying what a mistake to take Russell second overall:

"Flash back to this summer's NBA draft, when the Lakers stunned the basketball world by passing up big man Jahlil Okafor to select guard D'Angelo Russell. When the gold dust settled, the word out of Lakers camp was that they passed on the traditional franchise-changing giant because they were confident they could fill that spot with Aldridge in free agency. In other words, the Russell pick carried an undercurrent of the old Lakers entitlement that they can have whoever they want."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-plaschke-20150705-column.html#page=1

PS: I'm told I tolerate fools poorly, so if I'm having trouble with you, that may explain why.

HeadInjury
July 4th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Plashcke is an idiot (generally speaking). No sports acumen whatsoever. He has no more insight into the Lakers than he did with the Kings.

I like the Hibbert trade. He's good defensively. And no long term commitment. Good fit.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Lot of LGKers dislike Plaschke.

He's forgotten more about basketball than anyone posting here will ever know.

So stick to the issue: Was taking Russell second better than taking Okafor?

hokiecat
July 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Lot of LGKers dislike Plaschke.

He's forgotten more about basketball than anyone posting here will ever know.

So stick to the issue: Was taking Russell second better than taking Okafor?

Maybe, maybe not. I guess we will know at the end of this year and at the end of 3 years. I don't think it was a bad move. Certainly not worthy of throwing the internet forum equivalent of a temper tantrum in this thread. Were you there at TSC during the work outs? Did you see how Okafor did or didn't do against Tarik Black?

The Lakers are going to be a mess for years anyhow. Nobody good is going to come to LA while Kobe is still here.

And everything Plaschke said was pretty much true. It isn't 1990 where a player needs to be in LA or NY to get advertising dollars and media attention. They can have a media presence anywhere. The Lakers definitely do need to realize that they are not a premier destination any more.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I guess we will know at the end of this year and at the end of 3 years. I don't think it was a bad move. Certainly not worthy of throwing the internet forum equivalent of a temper tantrum in this thread. Were you there at TSC during the work outs? Did you see how Okafor did or didn't do against Tarik Black?

The Lakers are going to be a mess for years anyhow. Nobody good is going to come to LA while Kobe is still here.
Yeah for such a wishy washy, indecisive guy like you (maybe, maybe not) my backing up my position may seem that way to you.

Suggestion for you. Try being a man and taking a stand. ie Grow a pair.

mrm55
July 4th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Mike Bresnahan
✔ ‎@Mike_Bresnahan
Lakers' price to acquire Indiana center Roy Hibbert: A future second-round draft pick, year undisclosed.

6:25 PM - 4 Jul 2015

So cost us a second rounder, we can ill afford to give up, plus $16,000,00 for Hibbert salary (vs $5,000,000 for Okafor). Wow what a deal.

Try reading the reason the Pacers gave up on this very slow player- it's because they replaced him with their 11th pick this year. A guy rated so far below Okafor, he wasn't on anyones radar.

Well you neophytes keep wandering into the basketball forum, but try keeping quiet and let the adults teach you. You have an awful lot to learn.

Game. Set. Match.

hokiecat
July 4th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah for such a wishy washy, indecisive guy like you (maybe, maybe not) my backing up my position may seem that way to you.

Suggestion for you. Try being a man and taking a stand. ie Grow a pair.

LOL. Internet tough guy.

Your backing your position is as irrational as everything else you have said. None of the draft picks have played a single NBA minute. How can you possibly claim that one is better than the other. There is nothing to measure.

mrm55
July 5th, 2015, 02:16 PM
It finally hit me. You guys know absolutely nothing about basketball, especially teenaged hokiecat. After this weeks Lakers embarrassment you show how little you know by saying, "oh gee let's wait 3 years and see". Pull up your big girl panties and look at right now, not 2023. Lakers made a horrible mistake taking a dime a dozen guard. Good big men come along once every 10 years. Okafor led his team to the National Championship, Russell couldn't get his team to the sweet sixteen. You girls hanging onto Russell's nutsack make me laugh.

If you can quit being trolls, try listening to one of the most respected men in basketball give you a clue. You teenagers probably never heard of Charles Barkley. His words: "The Lakers are awful", "no one wants to come to LA", The Lakers haven't drafted well."

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...y-hibbert.nba/

btw you Russell nutsack hanger ons really do need to stick to curling, you certainly have no basketball acumen.

I'm done trying to enlighten you uneducated dolts.

HeadInjury
July 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Lakers sign NBA 6th Man of the Year Lou Williams to a 3-year contact.

I think the Lakers are capped out now. I don't follow the NBA salary cap rules, but I think they have a mid-level exception left for $2.8 million.

Looks like they still need a veteran backup point guard. Apparently, they plan to play Kobe and Nick Young at SF (assuming they keep Nick Young). Byron Scott said last week that he envisioned Russell and Clarkson both starting.

Edit: And now they're signing Brandon Bass (PF - Celtics). Busy couple of days.

Edit 2: Woj reporting the Lakers are trying to do a sign and trade of Lin to the Mavs as Mavs lack cap space to sign Lin. Perhaps expanding the Hibbert trade with Indy into a 3-team trade. No idea what's in it for LA. Perhaps getting Indy to take Nick Young? This is beyond my knowledge of the NBA's CBA. I wouldn't think LA could take a contract of any significance back and still fit Hibbert and Williams in under the cap. Unless someone is being shipped out.

SmytheKing
July 6th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Lakers sign NBA 6th Man of the Year Lou Williams to a 3-year contact.

I think the Lakers are capped out now. I don't follow the NBA salary cap rules, but I think they have a mid-level exception left for $2.8 million.

Looks like they still need a veteran backup point guard. Apparently, they plan to play Kobe and Nick Young at SF (assuming they keep Nick Young). Byron Scott said last week that he envisioned Russell and Clarkson both starting.

Edit: And now they're signing Brandon Bass (PF - Celtics). Busy couple of days.

Edit 2: Woj reporting the Lakers are trying to do a sign and trade of Lin to the Mavs as Mavs lack cap space to sign Lin. Perhaps expanding the Hibbert trade with Indy into a 3-team trade. No idea what's in it for LA. Perhaps getting Indy to take Nick Young? This is beyond my knowledge of the NBA's CBA. I wouldn't think LA could take a contract of any significance back and still fit Hibbert and Williams in under the cap. Unless someone is being shipped out.

I'm glad about some of these signings and pickups actually. They're filling in the spots with some guys with grit and some others with vets that don't cost anything long term (like Hibbert). Hibbert should be asked to just protect the rim instead of being expected to contribute on offense like he was on Indy. Using Bass off the bench and having him float with Randle will help with Randle's development too. If he gets a little tired or overwhelmed, you've got someone to come in and help. On the other side, moving Randle to the 3 and have Bass in at the 4 sometimes makes for a big lineup if you need some rebounds. Randle probably won't be a 3 regularly, but might be able to slide in there from time to time.

I don't expect playoffs at all, but this team is shaping up to be a tough out for some teams that should play hard. 40 wins is probably a longshot, but I gotta figure they top 30ish wins. If Clarkson, Russel, and Randle develop like they should, that's going to be a nice core soon.

Russell (Clarkson slides here too)
Clarkson (Kobe sometimes but mostly Williams)
Kobe (Young until they trade him)
Randle (Bass off the bench)
Hibbert

That's not awful. You've got some decent defenders out there and the bench isn't super thin. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in a couple of years when the young guys get a little experience.

mrm55
July 7th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I too really like the Lou Williams signing

Bass' arms look like Karl Malone. With Hibbert and Bass on board, I don't think other teams will be as predisposed to using cheap, hard fouls on our smaller guys.

HeadInjury
July 7th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Davis gone. Wes Johnson reportedly to the Clippers. Hill, Boozer, Lin and Ellington all seemingly gone. Price probably gone as well.

Rumors of trying to move Young, Sacre and Kelly.

Could be that only Kobe, Clarkson, Randle and Black return from last year's team. Jabari Brown might be back. His contract is not guaranteed.

If we do a sign and trade with Dallas for Lin, it better be for a decent return like a 2018 first rounder. (We won't have a first that year and it's the earliest year Dallas could trade us its first round pick.) No reason to help Dallas get better otherwise. Plus it appears we'd have to take Raymond Felton back. While we need another point guard, he's not the ideal guy. Some speculation that we could get Justin Anderson (21st overall pick), but I think that's a pretty long shot.

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2015, 11:25 AM
DeAndre Jordan is reportedly rethinking his decision and may return to the Clippers.

If that happens, then a Lin sign and trade is probably scuttled as Dallas would have plenty of cap room if they were still interested.

mrm55
July 8th, 2015, 01:21 PM
'Lakers, Knicks Finding Salary-Cap Space and Big-Market Allure Are Fool's Gold...'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2517673-lakers-knicks-finding-salary-cap-space-big-market-allure-is-fools-gold

TooCool
July 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM
DeAndre Jordan is reportedly rethinking his decision and may return to the Clippers.

If that happens, then a Lin sign and trade is probably scuttled as Dallas would have plenty of cap room if they were still interested.

Wow. He verbally agreed to the Mavs and then wants to back out on it? Brutal.

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Yep. Apparently he's coming back. Official at 9 p.m. Lin to the Hornets so no sign and trade with Dallas.

mrm55
July 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Lakes may not get Hibbert.

As reported by Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated, executives around the league believe that the Mavericks could approach Indiana about trading for Hibbert after losing out on Jordan:

TooCool
July 9th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Lakes may not get Hibbert.

As reported by Jake Fischer of Sports Illustrated, executives around the league believe that the Mavericks could approach Indiana about trading for Hibbert after losing out on Jordan:

I did think it's weird that they never announced the exact trade details for days now.

ucsdguy1
July 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM
From insidesocal.com:

The signing technically is not official.

But Roy Hibbert basically indicated as such, the former Indiana Pacers center posting a Lakers banner on his Twitter account. The Lakers are believed to be sending a future second round draft pick to Indiana, which became eager to clear Hibbert’s $15.5 million salary for next season amid a diminished role on a faster-paced offense. But it remains unclear if the trade will involve additional moves, including the Lakers sending any combination of Nick Young, Robert Sacre and Ryan Kelly.

The 28-year-old Hibbert has made two NBA All-Star appearances and has cemented himself as one of the league’s best shot blockers. But both his rebounding and scoring is considered subpar. He has averaged 11.1 points on 46.4 percent shooting, 6.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks through seven NBA seasons with the Pacers.

https://twitter.com/Hoya2aPacer

HeadInjury
July 9th, 2015, 10:54 AM
The trade was described as Hibbert for a future 2nd and cash.

My guess is that it hasn't been announced because they are still exploring options for expanding the trade into a three-team deal. Lakers want to shed Young, Kelly and/or Sacre.

A reporter with the Indianapolis Star said he expected the trade to go down today.

I doubt Larry Bird and Kupchak are the type of GMs to renege on a deal. We shall see.

mrm55
July 9th, 2015, 11:02 AM
A reporter with the Indianapolis Star said he expected the trade to go down today.

*lights candles*

HeadInjury
July 9th, 2015, 12:22 PM
At a minimum, Hibbert self-identifies as a Laker.

https://twitter.com/hoya2apacer

And then there's this:

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/619232278602891265

MaxwellSmart
July 9th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Meanwhile, here are some Laker-related tweets:

Los Angeles Lakers:

Byron Scott on the backcourt of Kobe, Clarkson and Russell: "I see all three of those guys being able to run the offense."

Byron says Metta World Peace was impressed by Randle when he came in for a workout: "Metta said, 'That guy's super strong.'"

Byron on D'Angelo: "He's made a few passes that have guys saying, 'How did you make that pass?'"

Byron says Kobe is doing "a lot of lower-body work" but nothing with his upper body.

Byron on Julius: "Listening to the guys who have guarded him, some of the guys say he?s the strongest guy they?ve ever guarded."

Mike Bresnahan:

Metta World Peace (remember him?) worked out vs. Randle, called him tough, Byron said. Everyone talking about Randle's improved fitness.

Plenty to happen before opening night, but D'Angelo, Clarkson and Kobe will probably play together, Byron said. In other words, Kobe = SF

Jordan Clarkson's been working on his shot. Byron: "He's been knocking that thing down on a regular basis. And from deep."

Randle has dropped 15-20 lbs, filled lane on fast break, but not quite there with three-point shot.

Eric Pincus:

Byron Scott said Julius Randle could be a stretch 4 maybe in 16/17 but this year his range is 15-17 feet

mrm55
July 9th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Done:

"The Indiana Pacers announced Thursday they have acquired a future Second Round draft pick from the L.A. Lakers in exchange for Roy Hibbert."

HeadInjury
July 10th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Well, as of today, this is the 15-man roster:

PG: Russell, ?
SG: Clarkson, Williams, J. Brown
SF: Kobe, Young, A. Brown
PF: Randle, Bass, Nance Jr., Kelly
C: Hibbert, Black, Sacre, Upshaw

Clarkson and Brown can play PG, but with a room exception still left ($2.8 million), you'd figure they'll go for a veteran PG.

Kelly and Sacre are never going to get playing time. If they can't trade them, I think one or both end up getting cut in training camp. They need to sign Upshaw just in case he pans out.

This is such an improvement over last year's squad. They may not win many games because of so many rookies/2nd year players, but I can get behind this team and enjoy watching them develop..

ucsdguy1
July 10th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I listened to an interview with Artest on 980 this morning. I really, really love that guy

mrm55
July 10th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I listened to an interview with Artest on 980 this morning. I really, really love that guy

Me too.

Thanking his shrink was priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkLp3ixrzQ

FortyFour
March 13th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Okafor is done for the year with what sounds like torn cartilage in his knee. What looked like a promising year quickly turned forgettable with injuries and that street fight turned TMZ.