PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2015 - 2016 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

HeadInjury
July 11th, 2015, 07:37 AM
With Summer League underway, I figure it's time for a new thread.

Lakers lost to the Wolves yesterday by 13. It was tied going into the 4th when things got away.

Jordan Clarkson was by far the best player on the court, with 23 points. Russell's line was 8 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals and 5 turnovers. He's very much a pass first type of PG.

Upshaw is out of shape, but still had 3 blocks in only 12 minutes of play. The Lakers must have been afraid he was going to get snatched up by another team as they signed him to a 2-year deal after the game.

Towns certainly wasn't dominate. He had 12 points on 4-12 shooting and only 3 rebounds. Randle didn't really impress either but he's still recovering from injury.

SmytheKing
July 13th, 2015, 03:47 PM
It'll be really nice to see the reports after summer league. So far they're saying Russell looks good, but I want to hear more about him and Randle after a few more games. Some nice things about Nance coming out too regarding his energy and hustle. Hopefully he can be our next Rick Fox and be "that guy" off the bench. Hope Upshaw can get a little more too and make the team. Not sure if he can though with the depth up front. More wondering if the Lakers could/would be patient with him developing considering that depth right now.

HeadInjury
July 19th, 2015, 12:25 PM
The Lakers finished the summer league a disappointing 1-4. I caught parts of the final two games against Dallas, a 2-point loss, and Utah, a 6-point loss. Too bad the summer league is so short as they were starting to play better. Russell had a really solid game against Utah with 21 points, including going 4 from 7 on three pointers.

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. When you break it down by position, compared to last year:

PG: Russell > Lin. In his rookie year, this might be close comparison, or it may not be.

SG: Clarkson > Kobe. Only speaking about last year.

SF: Kobe > Johnson. In Kobe's new position he'll be an upgrade over any SF we had last year even if he's old and undersized.

PF: Randle > Boozer.

C: Hibbert = Hill. Hibbert is much better defensively, which is more important for the Lakers as they have other scoring options. Obviously, Hill is better offensively, but even there he was inefficient.

As for the bench:

SG: Williams > Ellington

SF: A. Brown > Kelly (when Kelly was played their out of position last year)

PF: Bass = Davis. I like both players.

PF: Nance Jr. > Kelly

C: Upshaw > Sacre

You have to take next season with a grain of salt. The rookies are going to be mistake prone, particularly in the first half of the season. If Kobe is Kobe pre-achilles (unlikely), then they could get near 40 wins I think. But for a team that was so old so recently, a young base is in place and then you have two max slots next offseason.

SmytheKing
July 21st, 2015, 06:47 AM
The Lakers finished the summer league a disappointing 1-4. I caught parts of the final two games against Dallas, a 2-point loss, and Utah, a 6-point loss. Too bad the summer league is so short as they were starting to play better. Russell had a really solid game against Utah with 21 points, including going 4 from 7 on three pointers.

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. When you break it down by position, compared to last year:

PG: Russell > Lin. In his rookie year, this might be close comparison, or it may not be.

SG: Clarkson > Kobe. Only speaking about last year.

SF: Kobe > Johnson. In Kobe's new position he'll be an upgrade over any SF we had last year even if he's old and undersized.

PF: Randle > Boozer.

C: Hibbert = Hill. Hibbert is much better defensively, which is more important for the Lakers as they have other scoring options. Obviously, Hill is better offensively, but even there he was inefficient.

As for the bench:

SG: Williams > Ellington

SF: A. Brown > Kelly (when Kelly was played their out of position last year)

PF: Bass = Davis. I like both players.

PF: Nance Jr. > Kelly

C: Upshaw > Sacre

You have to take next season with a grain of salt. The rookies are going to be mistake prone, particularly in the first half of the season. If Kobe is Kobe pre-achilles (unlikely), then they could get near 40 wins I think. But for a team that was so old so recently, a young base is in place and then you have two max slots next offseason.

Pretty much agree. I think the first half, like you said, is going to be filled with some losses that should have been wins in the name of learning. The youth looks promising and we should get glimpses of potential. I gotta think that in 2-3 years, the young core is going to be really solid if not spectacular. As a Lakers fan, I'm as excited as I've been since they got Pau.

Kings7
September 21st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Russell and Randle are huge question marks. If they play well, things are looking up again. If they look scrappy then.......meh

Ice24
September 22nd, 2015, 04:59 PM
The Lakers are four more players away from making a decent run in the playoffs.

Rogie-Vachon
September 25th, 2015, 01:52 AM
LOL - Lakers re-sign Ron Artest! What a joke. Almost as bad as that idiot Steve Mason on 710 ESPN who was giddy when the news dropped.
What a clown organization - Kobe will not teach the young guys anything because he will continue to shoot the ball.
Once a gunner, always a gunner.

FortyFour
September 25th, 2015, 06:15 AM
At the very least he will be great to practice with for the young guys.

TooCool
September 30th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I saw Kobe's interview on BSPN and he seriously doesn't look like he's over 30 years old. Then again, he looked a little too happy. Felt weird watching happy go lucky Kobe.

SmytheKing
October 13th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I know it's a pre-season game against my High School...but still. The vision and passing is beautiful to see. Bounce passes in stride, hits the cutter in the hands, just really pretty.

https://youtu.be/qUh-1vXe5qE

TooCool
October 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Thoughts and Prayers to Lamar. Dude has been on a downward spiral ever since he married that chick.

TooCool
October 28th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Season opener tonight against the T-Pups! This is our chance to go 1-0... :lol:

Randle better not get injured in the first game again... I fear he might be another Greg Oden. >_<

mrm55
October 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Randle looked fine. Russell sucked. Just like when he played against other rookies and in the pre season. Oh wait let's give Russell 3 or 4 years. No thanks.

In other news. "Okafor became just the eighth rookie since 2000 to score 20 points in his regular season debut. Okafor’s 26 points were the second-most by a center in his NBA debut since ’63, topped only by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar." Gee that name sounds familiar.

Nice pick Jimmy.

TooCool
October 29th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Is it just me or does it feel like when Kobe touches the ball, everyone pretty much stands still? Just like before? No one cuts to the basket or set screens. Then when I see plays where Kobe isn't going to touch the ball, the rest of the team just feels kind of confused. Do they run the pick and roll? Do they run any kind of play? Instead, they pass it around until someone has to heave a 3 pointer because of the shot clock running low.

I like the way Randle moves though. He's got some skills. All he needs to do is get rid of the nerves because he blew a lot of easy shots. He got on KG's bad side too. :lol:

VCRW
October 29th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Is it just me or does it feel like when Kobe touches the ball, everyone pretty much stands still? Just like before? No one cuts to the basket or set screens. Then when I see plays where Kobe isn't going to touch the ball, the rest of the team just feels kind of confused. Do they run the pick and roll? Do they run any kind of play? Instead, they pass it around until someone has to heave a 3 pointer because of the shot clock running low.

I like the way Randle moves though. He's got some skills. All he needs to do is get rid of the nerves because he blew a lot of easy shots. He got on KG's bad side too. :lol:

This is gonna be another tough season to watch these guys. I am just happier knowing that Jeannie is running the team know. I'm already waiting til next year!

LetTigerIn
October 29th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like when Kobe touches the ball, everyone pretty much stands still? Just like before?

I think a lot of this was on Kobe. He seemed to jack up shots pretty quickly.

No one cuts to the basket or set screens. Then when I see plays where Kobe isn't going to touch the ball, the rest of the team just feels kind of confused. Do they run the pick and roll? Do they run any kind of play? Instead, they pass it around until someone has to heave a 3 pointer because of the shot clock running low.

I don't follow basketball like I used to, but I was thinking the same thing, not just about the Lakers, but about the NBA in general. Since, I don't follow that closely, I have to ask myself how much the game itself has changed, and how much I just don't understand the sets that are actually being run and the adjustments if they break down.

I liked Randle, too, going coast-to-coast a couple of times (though only finishing once, and some nice moves under the basket. Hopefully, he'll remain a piece of future Lakers successes.

Speaking of which, the t-shirts given away on opening night said "Our Present, Our Future." That kind of reads like,"We are rebuilding." Though seemingly true, there's hardly a need to advertise it, is there?

HeadInjury
October 30th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Wow are the Lakers bad tonite. People want to blame this on Byron, but these guys are professionals. They should be able to play an ounce of defense. They can't.

D'Angelo Russell has been just horrid. They need to move him to the bench. Kobe Bryant did not play in his first Lakers game. There's no shame in it. Russell is not ready.

The only thing I'll bash Byron on is playing Bass at center. That's crazy. He's brought in Black now due to fouls, but Bass can't play center. Even Sacre would be a better option.

Kobe is still able to to create open shots, which is good. But he's a chucker now. He needs to be more of a facilitator. I guess it's too late to expect him to ever change.

Bogey
October 30th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Go Kings Go!

TooCool
November 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM
I seriously wonder if Byron Scott is trying to tank this early in the season. His substitution patterns absolutely suck. Randle was a beast last night and Scott sits him anyway. I lost count of how many games last season when we were up when Jeremy Lin was in. Then Scott would take him out so we would lose. I'm glad the Staples crowd called him out on it in the 3rd quarter by booing him until Randle got back in.

VEGASKING
November 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
Scott is just a dreadful coach. They don't even have a first round pick this year since they kept it last year so there is no reason to tank.

HeadInjury
November 2nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
The Lakers' 2016 pick is Top-3 protected. Still a possibility that they'll land in the Top 3 if the ping pong balls cooperate.

makemelaugh
November 2nd, 2015, 02:25 PM
I don't pay attention to them anymore because all of the players I liked are gone or retired, and they're basically just a mess now. The way they kept disrespecting Pau was the beginning of the end for me. Remember the painful commercial with Kupchak showing Dwight Howard the retirement banners, while his face and body language were obviously saying, "I don't even care, I'm not going to stay here."? It made me cringe every time. I knew it was all downhill from there, and it's been sad to see. I admire the diehard fans who will stick with them, but hockey is now enough for me.

SmytheKing
November 4th, 2015, 10:51 AM
At what point do the Lakers just take Kobe out to the backyard, give him his favorite meal, and put him down? This is going to get uglier and uglier as the season goes on. Unless he gets injured again of course. He's taken more shots than anyone and over HALF of them have been 3 point attempts. HE HAS MORE 3PT ATTEMPTS THAN NICK YOUNG HAS TOTAL FIELD GOAL ATTEMPTS!!!!

Ugh.

HeadInjury
November 6th, 2015, 01:10 PM
For the most part, Kobe is getting good looks. He's taken a few truly horrible shots, but most are makeable. The one thing I'll give him before I pronounce his career dead is that due to his shoulder injury he didn't get a chance to shoot all summer. There's a chance his shot will improve.

He's also shooting from further away because he lacks the ability to penetrate.

I'm not concerned about the record right now. I expected them to start out bad. The question to me is how well will they be playing after 20 games together? We'll see.

TooCool
November 9th, 2015, 08:48 AM
For the most part, Kobe is getting good looks. He's taken a few truly horrible shots, but most are makeable. The one thing I'll give him before I pronounce his career dead is that due to his shoulder injury he didn't get a chance to shoot all summer. There's a chance his shot will improve.

I'm not concerned about the record right now. I expected them to start out bad. The question to me is how well will they be playing after 20 games together? We'll see.

You make an excellent point. He doesn't have that explosiveness anymore, so he definitely can't get around the defender as easily anymore. So yeah, step back jumpers is his thing now. It seems like when he does try to penetrate, he may not be able to shoot but can still dish it out with the best of them. Ridiculous to see all the Kobe hate (though I'm not surprised to begin with) when I see these articles singling out one really bad shot per game.

SmytheKing
November 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM

Oh I don't expect this to be a great season or anything, but when Kobe is taking 30% of the shots (still) and most of them being 3's (where he's never been all that great to begin with), it's just bad for the kids and their development. Imagine the Kings having Lecavalier as the 1C and playing 25 minutes a game and putting Toffoli on the 3rd line. They've now lost two games that were very winnable and both times it came down to them shooting poorly in the 4th quarter. Kobe was 2-12 in the 4th in both of those games. Russell and Randle were combined 1-4. Four total shots for the two guys you're trying to pass the torch to, and twelve for the guy who is supposed to be facilitating that. You can talk about them needing to learn how to do it and whatever, but I recall a 19 year old shooting guard dropping air balls on Utah in an elimination game in the playoffs and he turned out ok.

He went 2-10 from the 3pt line last night. He's 32% overall right now. If they were always contested shots, that'd be one thing. The fact that he's doing so poorly on really good looks makes it even worse. Bottom line, he can't continue to be the guy taking the most shots on the team game in and game out. This is embarrassing. I honestly have no idea what Byron Scott is doing.

Ice24
November 9th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Kobe will go out on his own terms. He has done so much for this organization that he will decide when it is time to give up the rock. Byron Scott will not decide his play. This years team has zero chance of making a run into the playoffs so Kobe will decide how the game is played for the Lakers not Byron or the fans.

jccawdrey
November 9th, 2015, 03:16 PM
The best teams playing at the Stapler now are the (1) Kings, (2) Clippers (3) Sparks (4) the kids playing at the intermission, then the Lakers...

HeadInjury
November 19th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I am not on the anti- Byron Scott bandwagon yet, but his decision to play Brandon Bass at center is just mind boggling.

@MarkG_Medina:
Byron said he's not planning to play Sacre or Tarik Black unless Lakers have a few more bad rebounding games happen.

https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/667441271418593280

SmytheKing
November 19th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I am not on the anti- Byron Scott bandwagon yet, but his decision to play Brandon Bass at center is just mind boggling.

@MarkG_Medina:
Byron said he's not planning to play Sacre or Tarik Black unless Lakers have a few more bad rebounding games happen.

https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/667441271418593280

They're getting absolutely murdered on the interior right now. I thought they'd be at least competing in these games. Something is happening in the 4th and they just quit/fall apart.

TooCool
November 25th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Ugly stat from last night's beatdown.

Tommy Beer: Per Elias: Lakers have played 5,301 NBA games and last night was the 1st ever game in which no player on the team scored more than 10 points

14 mins ago – via Twitter TommyBeer

SmytheKing
November 25th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Ugly stat from last night's beatdown.

Tommy Beer: Per Elias: Lakers have played 5,301 NBA games and last night was the 1st ever game in which no player on the team scored more than 10 points

14 mins ago – via Twitter TommyBeer

Anyone who had a chance, Scott sat them for some reason...

TooCool
November 29th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Damn. Kobe to retire at the end of the season.

I quickly went on Stubhub and it starts at $250 each in the upper level. Check for individual tickets on AXS, and it's sold out. =[

Cross Traffic
November 29th, 2015, 08:11 PM
To watch Kobe shoot bricks?

TooCool
November 29th, 2015, 08:27 PM
To watch Kobe shoot bricks?

Kobe shoot your dog or something Jake?

SmytheKing
November 30th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Goldstar just sent me an email with tickets for Lakers games. Premier level seating for as low as $85 a game. $96 after service charges, but still cheaper than the secondary market.

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM
this made me lol

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12310674_10153755837518205_7595540791703821522_n.j pg?oh=14479733f69272e27b7b9af431ff5953&oe=56E524A1

SmytheKing
December 1st, 2015, 10:39 PM
Get outscored by 20 in the 2nd half by the 76ers? WTF is going on right now? I'm honestly wondering if anyone in the front office or the coaching staff cares about anything other than keeping that pick. This is really shameful. I don't mean to harp on it...but Kobe took 17 3 point shots tonight. I get that this night was going to be all about him, that makes sense. It's in PHI, he just announced he was going to retire. I get it. For real though, 17 3 point attempts? In 30 minutes? He's now shooting 30.5% on the season. Chances it gets below 30% and Scott just lets him do his thing?

I'm fine with a bad year. It's crushing me that guys like Clarkson, Randle, and Russell are getting screwed over in development because of the lack of anything approaching a gameplan though.

TooCool
December 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Get outscored by 20 in the 2nd half by the 76ers? WTF is going on right now? I'm honestly wondering if anyone in the front office or the coaching staff cares about anything other than keeping that pick. This is really shameful. I don't mean to harp on it...but Kobe took 17 3 point shots tonight. I get that this night was going to be all about him, that makes sense. It's in PHI, he just announced he was going to retire. I get it. For real though, 17 3 point attempts? In 30 minutes? He's now shooting 30.5% on the season. Chances it gets below 30% and Scott just lets him do his thing?

I'm fine with a bad year. It's crushing me that guys like Clarkson, Randle, and Russell are getting screwed over in development because of the lack of anything approaching a gameplan though.

It's the Kobe Bryant show. Especially now that he's announced his retirement. He can do anything at will and I'm pretty sure Byron has no say in it. I mean, what is he going to do at this point? Bench Kobe? I don't know if the Lakers are selling out this season, though I'm sure they are now that everyone wants to see Kobe play one last time. The Lakers are definitely selling out arenas when they're on the road.

I can't recall if there was ever a time a 2-14 vs a 0-18 team have their tickets sell out. Well, last night there was easily 20k+ in Philly. Pretty insane.

I have to think that behind the scenes, the players are told to just STFU and collect their paychecks. That has to be the only reasonable thing I can think of at this rate. You're right though. I don't see how this can help Randle and Russell develop especially when they don't have a gameplan. But not only that, they just don't play defense. It's one thing to suck at running your offense and not hit the shots you take... but these guys don't seem to care at all. And I really think that's because they're tanking.

Losing to Philly though, I think it's the right thing to do at this point. Who else is Philly going to beat? And we need to finish worse than Philly somehow.

VEGASKING
December 2nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
And that's the scary thing about the lottery. I still have faith Philly will finish last meaning the Lakers can only fall one spot in the draft to keep the pick. Lose that and an entire year was completely ruined.

mrm55
December 2nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
And that's the scary thing about the lottery. I still have faith Philly will finish last meaning the Lakers can only fall one spot in the draft to keep the pick. Lose that and an entire year was completely ruined.

Buss will blow the pick AGAIN!

SmytheKing
December 7th, 2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151207_williamsnance?cid=fb

TooCool
December 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151207_williamsnance?cid=fb

Not sure what Byron Scott has against D'Angelo Russell.

SmytheKing
December 9th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Not sure what Byron Scott has against D'Angelo Russell.

To me it's not even that. Maybe he feels he can watch some from the bench and learn. Thing is, who is he going to learn from? Scott needs to suit his offense to the talents of the players and he's not doing that. Russell is going to be a fabulous playmaker, but he's going to need shooters taking shots (and making them) and pick and rolls at his disposal.

I just think Scott knows he's done after this year and he's going to just let Kobe do his thing. Gotta be really frustrating for the young guys though. The front office just seems to not only be writing this season off, but not even caring about the development of the players. That's the frustrating part as a fan. Let these guys learn by playing.

SmytheKing
December 10th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Last night is the type of game I want to see more of. Give the young guys the minutes, let them learn and do things. Losses are fine, but letting them take the big shots and have the big minutes lets them make mistakes, gain confidence, and work to get better. Seeing Russell getting the chance to win the game after making a tough shot to put it into OT and Randle doing what he's been doing all season is great. Hopefully we can see more of that type of thing.

HeadInjury
December 10th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Last night is the type of game I want to see more of. Give the young guys the minutes, let them learn and do things. Losses are fine, but letting them take the big shots and have the big minutes lets them make mistakes, gain confidence, and work to get better. Seeing Russell getting the chance to win the game after making a tough shot to put it into OT and Randle doing what he's been doing all season is great. Hopefully we can see more of that type of thing.

I agree. I watched the 4th period and overtime. They played well (except defensively of course). It was fun to watch.

Everyone bashes Scott, but Clarkson progressed well last year and Russell and Randle are progressing this year. I don't mind them coming off the bench for now. Kobe didn't start his first year. They haven't earned anything yet. But Scott needs to give them significant minutes like last night.

SmytheKing
December 10th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I agree. I watched the 4th period and overtime. They played well (except defensively of course). It was fun to watch.

Everyone bashes Scott, but Clarkson progressed well last year and Russell and Randle are progressing this year. I don't mind them coming off the bench for now. Kobe didn't start his first year. They haven't earned anything yet. But Scott needs to give them significant minutes like last night.

I've heard the "Kobe didn't start" thing a lot...but that's apples and oranges. Kobe was drafted onto a team that was 4th best in the conference and was a playoff team already.

redxalonso
December 11th, 2015, 08:08 AM
It wasn't Byron's idea and Byron later admitted it.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/674802479524134916

Kobe did not play after 3:56 of third quarter because he told Byron, "Let them go." He was talking about Lakers young players.

HeadInjury
December 18th, 2015, 12:26 PM
In his last six games, Kobe is shooting 50% overall, including 36% from the three. Seems to be finding his touch.

SmytheKing
December 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM
In his last six games, Kobe is shooting 50% overall, including 36% from the three. Seems to be finding his touch.

It could be that, but I'm betting it's also him taking fewer shots per game (just over three fewer), fewer threes (just over two fewer) and playing fewer minutes (about three fewer). All of that saves energy and means he's taking shots that are closer. Hopefully it's not six games of an aberration and it becomes more of what we see.

redxalonso
December 20th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Tactically, the Lakers have the worst coach in the league.

For PR purposes, the Lakers also have the worst coach in the league.

SmytheKing
January 8th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Man, that Russell kid...

What a bum amirite?

Last night was exactly what I want to see more of too. Showing heart and not quitting...but still coming up short. Got no choice but to protect that pick since it doesn't look like this team is ready yet. Next year we need a coach that can implement a system that can play to the strengths of the youth and really get the most out of them.

TooCool
January 28th, 2016, 08:37 AM
So Shaq is going to get himself a statue next season at Staples. Well deserved.

SmytheKing
January 28th, 2016, 03:57 PM
So Shaq is going to get himself a statue next season at Staples. Well deserved.

I loved the reveal on Kimmel too. Shaq wasn't buying it at all. Probably still doesn't. Really great honor and a really cool plan for how it's going to exist.

HeadInjury
January 29th, 2016, 12:21 PM
The design they showed for Shaq's statue was really cool. Best one by far.

I have stopped even checking in for a few minutes of Lakers games now. Just waiting for Kobe's send off and seeing if we're lucky enough to hold on to our draft pick. If we stay in 29th place the odds of keeping the pick are about 56%.

I'm still not blaming this all on Byron. Seems like people are criticizing him for the development of rookies. He didn't play Clarkson the first half of last season and his development is coming along fine. Neither Randle or Russell are generational players who need to be coddled. There's no shame in coming off the bench.

I do think Byron will get replaced in the off season. Not because he's the root of all evil, but because he isn't the best coach out there and the Lakers need the best coach they can find.

TooCool
January 31st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Marge Hearn passed away today at 98 due to Natural Causes. RIP Marge. :(

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-marge-hearn-obit-20160131-story.html

FortyFour
January 31st, 2016, 07:01 PM
That's too bad. RIP Marge.

mrm55
February 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Good article about what Kobe goes through to get ready for a game. Treatments I've never heard of.

Also, why they signed him to the two year $25,000,000 per year deal. To get the Time Warner $3 billion they have to achieve a certain TV rating. Which they probably wouldn't get with all these unproven players. They need Kobe for the TV ratings, and to fill the expensive Staples seats.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14764067/army-lakers-trainers-therapists-keep-kobe-healthy

TooCool
February 16th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Good article about what Kobe goes through to get ready for a game. Treatments I've never heard of.

Also, why they signed him to the two year $25,000,000 per year deal. To get the Time Warner $3 billion they have to achieve a certain TV rating. Which they probably wouldn't get with all these unproven players. They need Kobe for the TV ratings, and to fill the expensive Staples seats.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14764067/army-lakers-trainers-therapists-keep-kobe-healthy

It's really going to suck when he's gone. A lot of people (including myself) find the Lakers unwatchable. It's no fun tuning into a game and knowing the team is going to lose after the 1st quarter... :lol:

But I tune in when I can (especially if the Kings aren't playing that night) just to see him play.

mrm55
February 16th, 2016, 04:05 PM
It's really going to suck when he's gone. A lot of people (including myself) find the Lakers unwatchable. It's no fun tuning into a game and knowing the team is going to lose after the 1st quarter... :lol:

But I tune in when I can (especially if the Kings aren't playing that night) just to see him play.

I too find them completely unwatchable, even with the Mamba. Versus watching their every game for the last 50 glorious, exciting years.

We found out the big names don't care about our max contracts. They want to win a title now.

We are now the Clippers, and will be for a very long time.

PS last few rumors were we are trying to trade D'Angelo. Buss knows he blew it.

HeadInjury
February 17th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I for one do not think the team will be bad for a long time. Hopefully we will keep our pick. We have so much cap space we can do a lot. It won't be a one summer solution but over a couple of years I think we will be competitive again in terms of making the playoffs.

SmytheKing
February 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I too find them completely unwatchable, even with the Mamba. Versus watching their every game for the last 50 glorious, exciting years.

We found out the big names don't care about our max contracts. They want to win a title now.

We are now the Clippers, and will be for a very long time.

PS last few rumors were we are trying to trade D'Angelo. Buss knows he blew it.

I never get tired of this nonsense. Actually, I do.

Russell is having a great rookie year. Stick to your guns and ignore that though.

Ice24
February 19th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I for one do not think the team will be bad for a long time. Hopefully we will keep our pick. We have so much cap space we can do a lot. It won't be a one summer solution but over a couple of years I think we will be competitive again in terms of making the playoffs.

Is that what the Lakers have become, being competitive in terms of making the playoffs. I remember not too long ago that it was a title or bust.

HeadInjury
February 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Is that what the Lakers have become, being competitive in terms of making the playoffs. I remember not too long ago that it was a title or bust.

Chamberlin, West and Baylor.

Kareem, Magic and Worthy.

Shaq and Kobe.

These guys were not merely Hall of Famers, but generational talents. The idea that it would just continue on this way forever was pure fantasy. It's been one hell of a ride, lasting way longer than anyone could have reasonably expected. We're back to the reality where most teams with a great player never win a single title, and now we have none.

SmytheKing
February 20th, 2016, 01:22 PM

Chamberlin, West and Baylor.

Kareem, Magic and Worthy.

Shaq and Kobe.

These guys were not merely Hall of Famers, but generational talents. The idea that it would just continue on this way forever was pure fantasy. It's been one hell of a ride, lasting way longer than anyone could have reasonably expected. We're back to the reality where most teams with a great player never win a single title, and now we have none.

...and it seems people forgot the Sedalle Threat and Cedric Ceballos years.

Ice24
February 20th, 2016, 01:35 PM

didn't Cedric take a little vacation during the season and went to Lake Havasu?

LetTigerIn
February 20th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I haven't followed the Lakers too closely lately, but I did enjoy that team post-Magic and pre-Kobe. That team, even though they certainly weren't the Showtime Lakers, still had some swagger through the '90s thanks to Nick the Quick, Eddie Jones and Ceballos. Having Divac until we got Kobe also helped keep at least a shade of continuity from the Showtime era. This Lakers team doesn't quite have that feel to me.

I get more the feel of lunchpail right now than Showtime or even Lake Show. Don't get me wrong, my favorite current Laker is Nance, and I liked Kurt Rambis and AC Green just like everyone, but I think there needs to be more Lakers swagger. Am I missing something? Please, you die-hards, clue in a casual fan.

mrm55
February 20th, 2016, 03:28 PM
For 40 years we attracted the best. We were good, and it was LA weather and glamour thrown in.

We have enough cap space to get 2 top tier players. Unfortunately we're losers, and no one good wants to be here.

I too like Nance, and especially Clarkson. Hope Randle can improve. Lou Williams is good.The rest are mediocre, or worse.

Jim Buss in the drivers seat has killed the Lakers from ever being a champion for many, many years. Taking Russell 'the bust' over Okafor made us the laughing stock of the league.

In a nutshell no one good wants to be here, no matter how much we can pay, see LaMarcus Aldridge and Dwight Howard.

TooCool
February 20th, 2016, 03:48 PM

I became a Lakers fan during the "era"! I was about 9 years old when I discovered the Lakers during the 93-94 season. Sedalle Threat, Cedric Ceballos, Elden Campbell, Vlade Divac, Anthony Peeler, Nick Van Exel, an aging James Worthy, Kurt Rambis, and special shoutout to Anthony "Pig" Miller. (Maybe they weren't all from that season but it's who I remember in general)

But still... maybe I was just a kid and as a kid, you tend to be way more hopeful in general. But still, I don't recall THAT Lakers team sucking as much as it does now. At the same time, back then... more teams were balanced. At least that's how I remember it right? Other than Jordan and the Bulls, I think even the worst team would finish with at least 25+ wins. Then you look at today, teams like us and Philly. 20 wins at this point would seem like a dream come true.

SmytheKing
February 20th, 2016, 11:49 PM
I became a Lakers fan during the "era"! I was about 9 years old when I discovered the Lakers during the 93-94 season. Sedalle Threat, Cedric Ceballos, Elden Campbell, Vlade Divac, Anthony Peeler, Nick Van Exel, an aging James Worthy, Kurt Rambis, and special shoutout to Anthony "Pig" Miller. (Maybe they weren't all from that season but it's who I remember in general)

But still... maybe I was just a kid and as a kid, you tend to be way more hopeful in general. But still, I don't recall THAT Lakers team sucking as much as it does now. At the same time, back then... more teams were balanced. At least that's how I remember it right? Other than Jordan and the Bulls, I think even the worst team would finish with at least 25+ wins. Then you look at today, teams like us and Philly. 20 wins at this point would seem like a dream come true.

They were just a mediocre team with no real direction. It was certainly an era of them trying to figure out what to do post-Magic. They didn't suck but they had no direction. Very much like the Kings towards the end of Taylors run. Just a team that seemed to be treading water. I know basketball is a lot less about building a team than the NHL, but you never felt the team was a threat. They would show up, win 50 games, lose in the 1st or 2nd round to Seattle or Utah and you'd come back next year.

This team though, Byron Scott is killing us. I know a dude who is friends with him and he (Scott) legitimately thinks he's doing a good job with the kids. Thinks this whole tough love thing is the right way to do it. Also thinks that they need to fit his system instead of trying to cultivate one that works for the personnel that he has. EVERYONE knows that he's lost the room though and it's clear management wants to get rid of him. Not gonna happen till the end of the year though since they're in full tank mode. I just hope they get someone in there that can teach the kids and work with them to utilize their strengths.

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2016, 11:03 PM
Part of it is understanding Byron's history. As a rookie he was hazed badly by some of his teammates, especially Michael Cooper. He was coming into a perfect situation, on a championship level team. They made things tough on him and he thinks that is what these players should deal with. If not hazing, at least treated as inferior and giving them tough love, with the emphasis on tough, not love.

He forgets however that it wasn't Riley doing it to him. He also forgets that this team isn't a championship team and these young guys aren't surrounded by future Hall of Famers like he was.

SmytheKing
March 1st, 2016, 10:50 PM
Just want to remind everyone again that D'Angelo Russell is a bust and he's not very good. Don't forget ok?

FortyFour
March 2nd, 2016, 12:56 AM
Just want to remind everyone again that D'Angelo Russell is a bust and he's not very good. Don't forget ok?

Played out of his mind tonight.

There's some serious young talent and a ton of cap space on the horizon.

mrm55
March 2nd, 2016, 09:27 AM

Russell shows up twice in 60+ games. Yeah he's the next Curry. LMAO.

Compared to Okafor, you're wrong again.

Take him over Okafor would you? There are no decent centers in this years draft. Plenty of guards, as always.

The reality is Okafor was the right choice, and the Lakers blew it. I don't expect the cheerleaders, with blinders to admit they're wrong.

I hope Russell does become great. After 60 games, it isn't showing. Inconsistency does show in all his other games.

btw how's his D?

SmytheKing
March 2nd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Played out of his mind tonight.

There's some serious young talent and a ton of cap space on the horizon.

Yeah. Obviously last night was him playing great, and I know he'll have another 4 point game in him before the season is over, but it shows what he can do. He's having a spectacular rookie year and, if not for Towns, would be in the discussion for ROY. I'm really looking forward to seeing him grow as a player because he's looking to be a rare talent. GREAT vision and can shoot from everywhere on the court. Put on another 15 pounds of muscle and he's going to be hard to handle for most PG's in the league.

mrm55
March 2nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
I added a question while you were replying.

Scott isn't pleased at all with his defense. How do you rate his D?

SmytheKing
March 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Russell shows up twice in 60+ games. Yeah he's the next Curry. LMAO.

Compared to Okafor, you're wrong again.

Take him over Okafor would you? There are no decent centers in this years draft. Plenty of guards, as always.

The reality is Okafor was the right choice, and the Lakers blew it. I don't expect the cheerleaders, with blinders to admit they're wrong.

Yeah Golden State is really struggling without a center. It's why Houston and the Clippers are on pace to beat the all time wins record too.

I'm just loving this too. Twice in 60+ games? He's having the best rookie season for a PG since like Chris Paul. In the several games since the All Star Game he's averaging about 22 points, 6 assists, and 5 rebounds per game. He's got a PER of almost 19. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Go get on the Okafor bandwagon though. He's doing so well the awful 76'ers play better when he's not on the floor. Oh, but he's averaging 17 points and a whole 3 rebounds more than Russell...even though he's a Center. What a gem they got.

It's completely laughable that you STILL think Russell is a bust. Keep holding on though. Lol.

SmytheKing
March 2nd, 2016, 09:37 AM
I added a question while you were replying.

Scott isn't pleased at all with his defense. How do you rate his D?

For a 19 year old with 60 games experience in the NBA? It's pretty decent. Scott isn't pleased with anything.

mrm55
March 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah Golden State is really struggling without a center. It's why Houston and the Clippers are on pace to beat the all time wins record too.

I'm just loving this too. Twice in 60+ games? He's having the best rookie season for a PG since like Chris Paul. In the several games since the All Star Game he's averaging about 22 points, 6 assists, and 5 rebounds per game. He's got a PER of almost 19. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Go get on the Okafor bandwagon though. He's doing so well the awful 76'ers play better when he's not on the floor. Oh, but he's averaging 17 points and a whole 3 rebounds more than Russell...even though he's a Center. What a gem they got.

It's completely laughable that you STILL think Russell is a bust. Keep holding on though. Lol.

I laugh at your blind enthusiasm. You are a hometown cheerleader, with no feel for NBA reality.

Right, Golden State will put their 7 foot center (Bogut) on waivers, when he comes off IR.

Right, the Lakers didn't do everything to try to convince center LaMarcus Alridge to come here. I thought Kupchak might sacrifice Jeanie to get him.

But you know so much more than all the GM's who were aghast at the Lakers not taking Okafor. Now there are no centers in the draft, and no decent center wants to play here with D'Angelo Curry. LMAO

Dream on sonny, you're out of touch with reality.

SmytheKing
March 2nd, 2016, 11:17 AM
I don't care what you laugh at. The fact that you can't see how well Russell is playing tells me what I need to know about your "knowledge". I'm surprised you're not bragging about Festus Ezili too. He's got a better Per 36 than Bogut and just about the same stats playing in fewer actual minutes than him. Hell, you'd probably trade Russell for him because he's almost a 7ft tall center and that's the only way you can win in the NBA. It's why GS won last year (and probably this year) and the Spurs (on the back of 6'7" Kawhi Leonard) won before that and the Heat won two years before that and the Mavericks won the year before that.

Go root for the Sixers if you like the talents of Okafor so much. He's doing "great" there.

HeadInjury
March 2nd, 2016, 01:32 PM
Say what you will about Scott and his bizarre rookie mind games, Clarkson is solid offensively, Randle is 5th in rebounding (per 48 mins played) and Russell is showing real signs of life. (Now if they could only play team defense.)

I suspect Scott is going to be brought back because his roster sucks through no fault of his own and the Bryant farewell tour and his horrid 35% shooting is hurting chemistry and costing the team some wins (granted only a few). I would hope Scott would be replaced not because he's as terrible as some suggest, but because he isn't the best coach available and the discussion should end there.

mrm55
March 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
Say what you will about Scott and his bizarre rookie mind games, Clarkson is solid offensively, Randle is 5th in rebounding (per 48 mins played) and Russell is showing real signs of life. (Now if they could only play team defense.)

I suspect Scott is going to be brought back because his roster sucks through no fault of his own and the Bryant farewell tour and his horrid 35% shooting is hurting chemistry and costing the team some wins (granted only a few). I would hope Scott would be replaced not because he's as terrible as some suggest, but because he isn't the best coach available and the discussion should end there.

Based on Scott turning the Hornets/Pelicans into playoff contenders, and as a result he got coach of the year, I expected more from him. I hope Scott is brought back, but with Mitch saying "no comment" when asked about Scott, doesn't bode well.

I hope Russell averages 26 a night, and 7 assists. But, looking back on what these players have done as pros, since the draft. I would guess Okafor would slip to a 3 or 4 pick, and Russell 8-12, if the draft were now.

HeadInjury
March 2nd, 2016, 04:48 PM
I hope Russell averages 26 a night, and 7 assists. But, looking back on what these players have done as pros, since the draft. I would guess Okafor would slip to a 3 or 4 pick, and Russell 8-12, if the draft were now.

It's too short a time frame to analyze who should have been picked where.

Russell averages 14.4 points a game, playing 27.5 minutes.

In contrast, Stephen Curry averaged 17.5 points a game, playing 36.2 minutes his rookie season. In his third season, he averaged 14.7 points a game, playing 28.2 minutes. In other words, exactly the same as Russell now.

Curry is a generational talent, the greatest three-point shooter in the entire history of the NBA. I'm not expecting Russell to be anywhere near his league, but Russell is doing just fine so far. And next year he won't have to defer to Kobe launching bricks all game.

Edit: I was looking at Russell's PER, not PPG. He averages 13 points per game. Obviously in the same ballpark.

LetTigerIn
March 2nd, 2016, 05:06 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm unsure if Byron Scott's rookie mind games are a good idea or a bad idea. They might look strange more because of the makeup of the team than because of the perceived changing mentality of the players. Do you think they were a good idea or bad, or are you as unsure as I?

If not Byron Scott, who do you think is the best coach for the job?

HeadInjury
March 3rd, 2016, 09:48 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm unsure if Byron Scott's rookie mind games are a good idea or a bad idea. They might look strange more because of the makeup of the team than because of the perceived changing mentality of the players. Do you think they were a good idea or bad, or are you as unsure as I?

If not Byron Scott, who do you think is the best coach for the job?

It's okay with me that he brings them along slow and off the bench. Clarkson hardly played the first half of last season. That's all fine with me. Russell has talked about the lack of communication and that's ridiculous.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Byron has hazed as a rookie by his teammates. He thinks rookies are supposed to have it hard. But he wasn't hazed by Riley. That's where he's getting it wrong. Also, cutting a rookie down to size on a championship team is one thing. On the second worst team it's something entirely different.

On the coaching front, I really have no idea of who would be best. Walton? UConn coach Kevin Ollie? The Celtics seemed to have scored with Brad Stevens. Doesn't have to be the typical retread. Maybe Thibodeau? Bulls certainly haven't improved after sacking him.

SmytheKing
March 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM
It's okay with me that he brings them along slow and off the bench. Clarkson hardly played the first half of last season. That's all fine with me. Russell has talked about the lack of communication and that's ridiculous.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Byron has hazed as a rookie by his teammates. He thinks rookies are supposed to have it hard. But he wasn't hazed by Riley. That's where he's getting it wrong. Also, cutting a rookie down to size on a championship team is one thing. On the second worst team it's something entirely different.

On the coaching front, I really have no idea of who would be best. Walton? UConn coach Kevin Ollie? The Celtics seemed to have scored with Brad Stevens. Doesn't have to be the typical retread. Maybe Thibodeau? Bulls certainly haven't improved after sacking him.

I'd like to see them go with someone different. I like Thibs, but I'm not sure he's the guy you need/want on a young team. He seems better suited for a team of vets that needs structure and a push. I know Ollie was a name people were talking about before they hired Scott, but that might have just been noise. What about Scott Brooks? He had success getting young guys like Westbrook and Durant and Harden to reach their potential. He seems like a guy that would do well with Randall, Russell, and Clarkson. Not to mention whoever they get in the draft this year (fingers crossed). I feel like Walton might be a guy that someone is going to pay a lot of money for and then realize they don't have Steph Curry on their team.

mrm55
March 5th, 2016, 04:18 PM
NBA.com current rookie rankings:

3. Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers
7. D'Angelo Russell, Los Angeles Lakers

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/feature...-18/index.html

HeadInjury
March 6th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Lakers are close to having the 2nd worst record locked up. Phoenix is 4 games ahead with 19 left. They do play Phoenix twice and the rest of their scheduled isn't that tough (about half is against non-playoff teams), but other than Phoenix essentially all the teams remaining have at least double their wins.

2nd worst record gives them only a 55.8% chance of drafting in the top 3. They have a 19.9% chance of drafting #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) overall.

If the ping pong balls don't go their way, they'll still have pick #32 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=32) and, if they lose their pick this year, they'll have both their first and second rounders in 2017.

They still owe Orlando a first round pick, the earliest it being due is in 2018. If the Lakers keep their first rounder this year, the pick to Orlando gets pushed back at least another year. Of course, in that case, they'd still owe a first rounder to Philly too (top-3 protected in 2017 and unprotected in 2018).

Still living with the Chris Paul/Steve Nash debacle for years to come.

TooCool
March 7th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Here's the crazy thing about the Lakers beating the Warriors. Look at Curry and Thompson's shooting stats for the game.

Curry - 6/20 FG, 1/10 3PT
Thompson - 7/20 FG, 0/8 3PT

You know the saying... live and die by the 3. That's why it's crazy that they only suffered from this issue today. So all the other games, if they hit just 3-5 more 3s, they got it in the bag. Just insane how well they shoot the ball on a consistent basis. A team that plays like that has no business winning in the NBA, so I do give them credit for being able to nail the shots on a nightly basis. It's just that today wasn't their day.

HeadInjury
March 7th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Agree 100%.

Fortunately Phoenix won too so nothing lost in the tank standings. Good experience for the young players to win a game like that.

FortyFour
March 7th, 2016, 10:27 PM
That win will be a confident builder for the young ones for years to come.

SmytheKing
March 8th, 2016, 03:17 PM
That win will be a confident builder for the young ones for years to come.

Indeed. It wasn't just a win either. They smashed them. With the younger guys leading the way. Also, nice to see someone who knows the game pretty well (at least I think he does) give some credit to Russell.

https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/706740629229871105

SmytheKing
March 9th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Nice win in a sure-fire letdown game last night. Not really thrilled about them winning and risking that pick...but it's nice to see how they won. Russell with another strong game, Randle just double doubling it up again (can we just start calling him in n out?), and Clarkson putting in some points too...albeit with a few too many 3pt attempts.

Also of note, since being put back in the starting lineup, Russell is averaging 21 points a game (on 49% shooting), 5 assists a game (2.5:1 ratio against TO's), 3 rebounds per game, and 1.2 steals per game. Not too bad for a 19-20 year old playing his first season in the NBA.

FortyFour
March 9th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Especially considering guards typically have more of an adjustment period going from college to the NBA. Russell's ceiling is high and he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders.

mrm55
March 9th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Hope Russell averages 26/7.

Still need a big man. This years lousy rental cost $15,000,000. The big we offered max to, said no thanks.

The most exciting new player is Nance. Looks like he went to the Kurt Rambis school of hard work.

SmytheKing
March 9th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Especially considering guards typically have more of an adjustment period going from college to the NBA. Russell's ceiling is high and he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders.

It'll be interesting to see how they use him moving forward. He's got a bit of combo guard in him, but it would be a shame to not take advantage of his vision. His size should help to create some easier shots down low against smaller guards too. If Randle could get a consistent 10-15 foot jumpshot going, they could pick and roll people to death with Clarkson running off of screens. It could get really confusing out there for the defense.

HeadInjury
March 9th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Phoenix still 4 games up on the Lakers. They also have two games in hand. Were we to slip to the third worst record, our chances of getting a top-3 pick are 46.9% and our chances for landing the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick are 15.6%.

LetTigerIn
March 9th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Hope Russell averages 26/7.

Still need a big man. This years lousy rental cost $15,000,000. The big we offered max to, said no thanks.

The most exciting new player is Nance. Looks like he went to the Kurt Rambis school of hard work.

Nance's dad was a hard worker, too. I think the new model is a better shooter as well.

TooCool
March 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Phoenix still 4 games up on the Lakers. They also have two games in hand. Were we to slip to the third worst record, our chances of getting a top-3 pick are 46.9% and our chances for landing the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick are 15.6%.

Thanks for the numbers. I don't like those odds if we were to slip to the 3rd worst record. Granted, we'll always have that "theory" that the NBA will rig it for us. I mean, they still owe us from Stern blocking the Chris Paul trade don't they? lol

Still, better safe than sorry. I liked how the Lakers won last night's game against Orlando. It's a good learning process. Plus, I like the idea of the new "Big 3" with Randle, Russell, and Clarkson.

mrm55
March 10th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I mean, they still owe us from Stern blocking the Chris Paul trade don't they? .

There's a lot of truth in that. Stern blocked the trade to slow down the Laker dynasty. He wanted to spread the championships around. He was the soup Nazi, "no more multiple championships for you."

What he didn't envision was the Lakers becoming a bottom feeder. Much of NBA growth came from national TV audiences (channel 7) featuring the Lakers as the game of the week. Showing all the Hollywood celebs in the stands. Most other cities they only show one or two noteworthy fans. There are still the few die hard celebs showing up here, but not nearly as many. Stern misses them, and the TV ratings they bring for the NBA.

He knows he owes us, but how does he pay up?

HeadInjury
March 11th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Anyone hoping that Robert Upshaw would pan out for the Lakers can forget that now.

Cut from the D-League today for violating its substance abuse policy.

FortyFour
March 13th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Tough game for Russell tonight.

TooCool
March 14th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Tough game for Russell tonight.

Growing pains. :)

SmytheKing
March 14th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Growing pains. :)

I think it's that and the weird back to 20 minutes because Lou Williams is back thing that Byron is doing. I don't get it. I really don't.

TooCool
March 14th, 2016, 08:08 AM
I think it's that and the weird back to 20 minutes because Lou Williams is back thing that Byron is doing. I don't get it. I really don't.

The only thing I can think of is that because we're tanking anyway... he might as well spread the minutes to at least all 10 guys. He's trying to get everyone enough playing time, even though the logical thing would be is to give Russell more experience.

That's the only excuse I can make up. I don't know what the hell Scott is thinking. Now that I think about it, I don't know why we (Lakers fans in general) wanted him so badly anyway. We should have really given the job to Brian Shaw, though obviously that ship has long sailed.

SmytheKing
March 14th, 2016, 11:04 AM

The only thing I can think of is that because we're tanking anyway... he might as well spread the minutes to at least all 10 guys. He's trying to get everyone enough playing time, even though the logical thing would be is to give Russell more experience.

That's the only excuse I can make up. I don't know what the hell Scott is thinking. Now that I think about it, I don't know why we (Lakers fans in general) wanted him so badly anyway. We should have really given the job to Brian Shaw, though obviously that ship has long sailed.

I'd feel a lot better about reducing his minutes if there was teaching going on. It just feels like a math teacher dividing minutes on a little league team so the parents don't get mad.

I'll be happy if they move on from him next year. He's just unimaginative and feels vindictive.

FortyFour
March 14th, 2016, 12:18 PM
While I can relate to your frustrations with Scott, I feel Russell will ultimately benefit from his tough love. I feel like we've already seen that to some extent. Better for Russell to experience that now with Scott than with the next coach, in my opinion.

SmytheKing
March 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM
While I can relate to your frustrations with Scott, I feel Russell will ultimately benefit from his tough love. I feel like we've already seen that to some extent. Better for Russell to experience that now with Scott than with the next coach, in my opinion.

There isn't anything wrong with "tough love", but there has to be some communication and explanation. By all means, if you screw up, take a seat. However, a good coach will explain to you why you're sitting and talk with you through it. Help you correct it. Byron just sits him there and doesn't say anything. Russell (and Clarkson and Randle to an extent) have been left to fend for themselves. That's the real problem. That and his lack of consistency when the vets play poor versus the young guys. Simply, "they haven't earned it yet" is so embarrassingly childish and antiquated.

FortyFour
March 14th, 2016, 01:32 PM
That's a fair criticism.

SmytheKing
March 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Well, you knew this was going to start happening.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-ben-simmons-isn-t-the-top-prospect-in-the-2016-nba-draft-190023711.html

Though, there are several criticisms in there that raise red flags. Now, I haven't watched ANY college BB this year so I won't suggest I'm right here, but what makes Simmons so special? From everything I've read, he can't shoot outside of eight feet, and he's not big enough to play Power Forward or Center in the NBA so...where does he fit and does he translate well to the pros? It seems like Ingram is a much better bet of the two at this point. Younger, longer wingspan, much better shooter, athletic...

Help me out. Also, convince me this isn't last year all over again where the guy everyone was all giddy about (Okafor) gets passed by another prospect (Towns) who was the better player all along and the Lakers miss out on a truly special player.

HeadInjury
March 15th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Updating the tankathon, Lakers are 4 games ahead of Phoenix and 4.5 games ahead of Brooklyn with 15 games left.

FortyFour
March 15th, 2016, 08:48 AM
With the way this team is playing lately, and considering these are KB24's last games, I feel they are at risk of winning enough games to move them out of the 2 spot.

TooCool
March 15th, 2016, 08:57 AM
With the way this team is playing lately, and considering these are KB24's last games, I feel they are at risk of winning enough games to move them out of the 2 spot.

Almost like a reverse Brian Willsie. =\

Not sure how Phoenix got so bad. It's like a trainwreck over there. And Philly is too useless to catch us, not that they want to anyway.

The Lakers are definitely winning the final home game of the season against the Jazz. No way Kobe doesn't at least go out with a W.

SmytheKing
March 15th, 2016, 09:19 AM

They're a combined 6-20 against their last opponents with two games against the Suns who they've split the season series with. It feels like they're pretty locked in to that #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) spot at this point. 15 games left, Have to go AT LEAST 5-10 to move out of that spot while PHO goes 0-15. If PHO even goes 2-13 the Lakers have to play almost .500 to do it.

SmytheKing
March 16th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Looks pretty clear. The Lakers need interior help in a big way. They've been getting eaten up inside. Combination of young guards still learning how to play and aging vets that can't do it anymore. That should be the priority this offseason more than anything. Getting a center who can protect and move. Are there any out there that could be had?

HeadInjury
March 16th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Some rumblings that Hassan Whiteside wants to play for the Lakers. Averages something like 4 blocks a game. He makes less than a million now, but will be seeking a max contract. He's unrestricted.

I doubt there's a better choice. The good thing is that Lakers can pursue their KD pipe dream and still be able to agree to terms with Whiteside right away.

TooCool
March 16th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Some rumblings that Hassan Whiteside wants to play for the Lakers. Averages something like 4 blocks a game. He makes less than a million now, but will be seeking a max contract. He's unrestricted.

I doubt there's a better choice. The good thing is that Lakers can pursue their KD pipe dream and still be able to agree to terms with Whiteside right away.

I'd take him over Sacre any day.

SmytheKing
March 16th, 2016, 08:52 AM

I'd take him over Sacre any day.

Yeah. He would be a good pickup I suppose. I hesitate to give people max contracts on one good year...but the Lakers don't seem to be in a position to do anything but that. Not only that, he's young and DOES fit what the Lakers need. Just...30 million a year because of one year? Yeesh. Times we live in though I guess.

I see his numbers but haven't really seen him play. Are his points a product of garbage clean up or within the offense they run down there? Hell, if he put up 12 rebounds and ~3 blocks a game, that's good enough. Points are just bonus I suppose.

HeadInjury
March 16th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I think a max contract next year starts at about $22 million with 5% increases allowed each year. I think if he changes teams the longest deal permitted is four years.

Irony is that Lakers worked him out last season and passed.

SmytheKing
March 16th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I think a max contract next year starts at about $22 million with 5% increases allowed each year. I think if he changes teams the longest deal permitted is four years.

Irony is that Lakers worked him out last season and passed.

That's not terrible then considering the amount of cap room. Worst case, you maybe pay $5-10 million more per year for a guy you had to overpay to get anyway considering the team. Knowing they aren't going to be world beaters for probably another 3 years, I'd rather they start competing every night and try and get a lower seed during that time than flounder for several more years like the Sixers.

HeadInjury
March 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM
Lakers now 5 games ahead of both the Suns and Nets in the tankathon with 13 games left. Second worst record is almost certainly locked up at this point.

TooCool
March 21st, 2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks for beating us last week Phoenix!

On another NBA note.. pretty insane that the Warriors and Spurs are both undefeated at home this season. Who knew home court advantage had such an effect? But we all know that there is no parody in the NBA.

mrm55
March 21st, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'll feel better if they lose the next 2. The second game being a back to back at Phoenix.

HeadInjury
March 23rd, 2016, 10:07 PM
Lakers lose to Phoenix. The tank is complete.

TooCool
March 23rd, 2016, 11:43 PM
Lakers lose to Phoenix. The tank is complete.

Thank you Phoenix! They owe us after robbing us with that Steve Nash trade.

HeadInjury
March 24th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Yeah, . . . so this happened.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15062583

VEGASKING
March 25th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Great week for Swaggy. First the harassment of that woman with Clarkson and now this. Hopefully he will be gone next year.

TooCool
March 25th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Great week for Swaggy. First the harassment of that woman with Clarkson and now this. Hopefully he will be gone next year.

I think that woman who said she was harassed was just an attention whore. I never followed up on it but I think the Lakers knew Clarkson and Young were not in the wrong. As for this snapchat thing... meh. That's just Nick Young being stupid as usual. He definitely offers no value to the team whatsoever.

HeadInjury
March 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
It less about what Nick said and more about how it got to the Internet. Did D-Lo actually post it? Definite man-code violation.

mrm55
March 26th, 2016, 05:18 PM
The Lakers have a 55.8 percent chance at a top-3 pick, and a 19.9 percent chance of the top pick if they remain in the No. 2 slot.

I can't believe after this terrible season it's almost a coin flip to lose our first round pick.

TooCool
March 26th, 2016, 11:24 PM
The Lakers have a 55.8 percent chance at a top-3 pick, and a 19.9 percent chance of the top pick if they remain in the No. 2 slot.

I can't believe after this terrible season it's almost a coin flip to lose our first round pick.

I'm just going to keep telling myself "Stern, you owe us. Give us the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick."

HeadInjury
March 27th, 2016, 11:44 AM

Well, if we lose it this year, at least we'll keep our first-round pick next year, which will almost certainly be a lottery pick. So it would suck, but there's that silver lining.

If we keep the pick I hope we are able to draft Brandon Ingram. He would fit in better than Simmons, who has no outside game.

HeadInjury
March 29th, 2016, 09:32 AM
And the Lakers lose to Utah . . . by 48 points.

TooCool
March 29th, 2016, 10:40 AM
And the Lakers lose to Utah . . . by 48 points.

When I was a kid, I absolutely hated the Jazz. I'd often chant "Die Jazz Die!" to the tune of their "Go Jazz Go" chants. If we lost by 48 to them back then, I would be so upset. Now it's just laughable... in a good way I guess.

mrm55
March 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM
When I was a kid, I absolutely hated the Jazz. I'd often chant "Die Jazz Die!" to the tune of their "Go Jazz Go" chants. If we lost by 48 to them back then, I would be so upset. Now it's just laughable... in a good way I guess.

Was it Stockton or Malone, or both that made you hate them? They say Stockton was a dirty player. I really didn't think he compared to Lambier or Rodman on the nasty scale.

LetTigerIn
March 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I didn't hate the Jazz, but I did hate Karl Malone. That ignorant hayseed cost the world a couple of years worth of Magic running the show. I was not happy when he came to the Lakers.

HeadInjury
March 29th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Everything is smelling like roses in Lakerland.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15095276/dangelo-russell-center-los-angeles-lakers-rift-video-took-nick-young-made-public

SmytheKing
March 30th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Everything is smelling like roses in Lakerland.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15095276/dangelo-russell-center-los-angeles-lakers-rift-video-took-nick-young-made-public

It's so funny considering they're running around honoring a guy who did the same thing about a decade or so ago. "Bro code" is so overrated and childish. Don't want your fiance to find out that you're cheating on her, don't cheat on her. Pretty easy.

TooCool
March 30th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Was it Stockton or Malone, or both that made you hate them? They say Stockton was a dirty player. I really didn't think he compared to Lambier or Rodman on the nasty scale.

I always thought Malone was a dirty player, throwing elbows when the refs weren't looking. I don't recall hating John Stockton. Maybe it was more that they had a dangerous duo and we had well... Ceballos, Van Exel, Divac, Campbell, etc. lol

TooCool
April 6th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Man... Just tuning in as usual tonight but for some reason I felt extra emotional tonight. I think it is FINALLY starting to sink in... had to choke back some tears (onions man!). I think I'm going to be bawling next Wednesday night.

mrm55
April 7th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Lakers clinch 2nd worst record.

I don't think 'clinch' should be used.

mrm55
April 12th, 2016, 01:57 PM
When will this mess of giving up our top draft picks end? Looks like it could be 2020.

'...Finishing the season with the second-worst record means the Lakers have a 55.8% chance of keeping their first rounder this season. If they do not send the pick this year, it will have top-three protection in 2017 before being unprotected in 2018. How this resolves also affects Orlando because the Magic cannot receive a pick from the Lakers until two seasons after LA sends the pick to the Sixers. Additionally, if the Lakers retain their pick both this year and next, Orlando gets two second round picks instead.'

Ice24
April 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Lakers clinch 2nd worst record.

I don't think 'clinch' should be used.

achieved the 2nd worst record?

mrm55
April 12th, 2016, 03:49 PM
achieved the 2nd worst record?

stumbled to 2nd worst record?

FortyFour
April 12th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Let's just cross our fingers for a top 3 pick this year and worry about the rest later. If they can keep their pick, pull the plug on Jim Buss, and replace Byron Scott, they may be able to attract some quality free agents and get on the road to recovery to where losing those draft picks won't hurt as much. That's a lot of ifs.

TooCool
April 13th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Kobe's final game in about 18 hours.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/6yWXoQqvp91p6/200.gif

LetTigerIn
April 13th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Knicks' Phil Jackson 'badly' wants out, planning escape to Lakers, report says (http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2016/04/knicks_phil_jackson_contract_lakers.html)

That, according to a report from Michael Grange of Sportsnet.ca, has led Jackson to look to get back toward his fiancee and his ex-team, the Los Angeles Lakers. Per Grange's report:

One is that Jackson badly wants out of New York, preferring to return back to Los Angeles to be near his fianc?e, Lakers scion Jeanie Buss. Jackson is believed to have an out in his Knicks deal that could free him up to do just that at the end of next season unless things between him and Dolan become untenable before that. It's believed that as soon as Jeanie's brother Jim Buss—blamed for the Lakers current free fall—is somehow removed from the scene, Jackson will be back as soon as he can engineer it.

React!

Dexter
April 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM
This dude has separation anxiety disorder.

TooCool
April 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Knicks' Phil Jackson 'badly' wants out, planning escape to Lakers, report says (http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2016/04/knicks_phil_jackson_contract_lakers.html)

React!

Jim Buss did **** things up. He definitely needs to step down.

SmytheKing
April 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Jim Buss did **** things up. He definitely needs to step down.

agreed...but I'm not sure Phil is the guy to lead them back. You want to coach or be involved? Sure. Cool. You want to make personnel decisions? Meh...not sure he's the one for the job.

SmytheKing
April 13th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Well, I guess this was always the way it was going to end wasn't it? :)

TooCool
April 13th, 2016, 10:38 PM
What a perfect ending. I was honestly hoping he would score 40, for old times sake. When he got that, I wanted 50. When he got 50, I thought that was enough but then he pretty much carried the team to victory. It's like he kicked in that 2nd gear like he always does and there was no damn way he would miss his shots down the stretch.

I know the haters will blatantly point out that he had 50 Field Goal Attempts. But if they watched the game, they would see that no one wanted to shoot. They even passed up open shots to have Kobe heave it at the basket with the shot clock winding down.

Also a lot of credit to the Jazz defenders. They didn't really double team him (I think that would have pissed people off) but they still played him strong. Kobe had to constantly fight through screens to get the ball in his hands.

All in all.. it was vintage Kobe. He carried the team to victory and this was the perfect way for him to go out.

Ice24
April 13th, 2016, 10:39 PM
You're only as good as your last game and what game it was. Congratulations Kobe for an incredible 20 years.

SmytheKing
April 13th, 2016, 10:46 PM
What a perfect ending. I was honestly hoping he would score 40, for old times sake. When he got that, I wanted 50. When he got 50, I thought that was enough but then he pretty much carried the team to victory. It's like he kicked in that 2nd gear like he always does and there was no damn way he would miss his shots down the stretch.

I know the haters will blatantly point out that he had 50 Field Goal Attempts. But if they watched the game, they would see that no one wanted to shoot. They even passed up open shots to have Kobe heave it at the basket with the shot clock winding down.

Also a lot of credit to the Jazz defenders. They didn't really double team him (I think that would have pissed people off) but they still played him strong. Kobe had to constantly fight through screens to get the ball in his hands.

All in all.. it was vintage Kobe. He carried the team to victory and this was the perfect way for him to go out.

It's funny to me that it was against Utah and the last two shots he made were 3 pointers considering what I, and probably almost every Laker fan, remembers from his first year.

HeadInjury
April 13th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Seriously, that was one of the greatest sports moments in LA history, maybe the best not involving a championship. Completely surreal how he took over the game at the end while being completely exhausted.

FortyFour
April 13th, 2016, 11:21 PM
What an incredible night. What started as a celebration turned into history. All the players, and the memories. It's a great night to be a Laker fan.

Trapper9
April 14th, 2016, 03:11 AM
I had heard during the game that no Hall of Famer ever hit 30 in their last game. 60 (and the game winner to boot) is just ridiculous.
I'm glad I watched it. he will be missed.

SmytheKing
April 25th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Well, the ax finally fell today. At least Thibs and Brooks are already gone so that's good....

Who next? I'm not a huge fan of the Walton idea because it seems like systems were already in place. Not sure he has the experience yet to implement something of his own doing here and he certainly doesn't have the shooters to do what GS is doing...

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/25/lakers-byron-scott-fired-kobe-bryant-dangelo-russell-nick-young

TooCool
April 25th, 2016, 09:09 AM
He's definitely the fall guy. I'm sure he did his job and tanked the way he was suppose to. However, I didn't agree with his "tough love" and way of developing our stars.

What are the odds that Luke will even want to come here though? Sure, if he stays in GS, he is stuck behind Kerr. But with Kerr's health problems.. what are the odds he gets promoted there AND he has a great team to work with? If that's the case, I don't think he would want to be here with our crappy team.

SmytheKing
April 25th, 2016, 10:05 AM
He's definitely the fall guy. I'm sure he did his job and tanked the way he was suppose to. However, I didn't agree with his "tough love" and way of developing our stars.

What are the odds that Luke will even want to come here though? Sure, if he stays in GS, he is stuck behind Kerr. But with Kerr's health problems.. what are the odds he gets promoted there AND he has a great team to work with? If that's the case, I don't think he would want to be here with our crappy team.

Yeah I wonder if he'd want to leave too. One, he's learning in a great organization that has the chance to win a couple of more rings. Two, as you said, there's the chance he gets full control in another year or two. Lead THAT team to a ring, and you've got your pick of where you go, and a couple of championships. Or, come to the Lakers and build from the ground up with a dysfunctional front office that's got quite a bit of immature infighting going on.

If I'm the Lakers I'm trying to get someone new though instead of an old guard guy. I'm not familiar enough with college coaches or NBA assistants, but I'd like a younger dude who has some experience in a winning environment.

HeadInjury
April 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Not Byron's fault for the team's performance really. But my thought on this all season was: is he the best coach available? Clearly the answer is "no" so this was the correct decision.

Other than Phil Jackson, the Lakers haven't made a good coaching hire in about 25 years.

HeadInjury
April 30th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Lakers hire Luke Walton.

Should be able to better relate to young players.

TooCool
May 2nd, 2016, 08:23 AM
Lakers hire Luke Walton.

Should be able to better relate to young players.

We'll see how it goes. It'll definitely be a challenge to go from coaching a good team like GS to a really bad team like us. But like you said, if anyone can relate to the players it's probably Luke.

What I really want to see is the team play some damn defense.

Anyone also find it weird how there are so many quotes about him and what he expects to do as head coach right now? Shouldn't he be focused on getting another ring first? ;)

HeadInjury
May 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Lakers gets 2nd pick in the Draft Lottery!

Either Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram. Philly got the number one and we'll get the one they don't select.

SmytheKing
May 17th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Lakers gets 2nd pick in the Draft Lottery!

Either Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram. Philly got the number one and we'll get the one they don't select.

Not upset at all with this. Honestly feels like you can't go wrong with either.

Does Philly get too creative for their own good and trade down to three and pick up the (high) first that Boston has next year instead of picking first? Do they flip with la and get randle and give the Lakers their pick back next year? Probably not, but it could be fun to speculate.

mrm55
May 18th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Lakers blew the pick last year. Russell 9th in Rookie voting. Scott benched him because of his poor work ethic.

Get Buss outta here before he blows this pick too.

TooCool
May 18th, 2016, 09:58 AM
While we can't go wrong with either pick... I'm actually surprised that the NBA didn't rig it so that we'd outright get the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick. They still owe us after all.

SmytheKing
May 18th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Lakers blew the pick last year. Russell 9th in Rookie voting. Scott benched him because of his poor work ethic.

Get Buss outta here before he blows this pick too.

http://www.blog.thehoya.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/stan.gif

Scott didn't bench him because of poor work ethic, but ok.

Also, lol at basing anything on reporter votes. Good times. We get it, you hate everything. Move on.

SmytheKing
May 18th, 2016, 12:15 PM
While we can't go wrong with either pick... I'm actually surprised that the NBA didn't rig it so that we'd outright get the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick. They still owe us after all.

That "basketball reasons" BS literally screwed up the franchise. There wasn't any recovery from it and sent management into repair mode immediately. Culminating in the horrific trade for Nash that will haunt us for another 2-3 years.

I only hope they get a center that isn't dead (WTF happened to Hibbert?!?!?), that Walton can deliver on the promise of his hype, and that the four youngsters take a nice leap forward and keep improving. Simmons or Ingram will likely be the best player on the roster (based on current talent) as soon as they're drafted but adding either to the core already there puts the Lakers in a nice spot for the upcoming future. I'm hoping to see a lot more ball movement which should play to the strengths of Russell, as well as helping Ingram (my guess at who they get) and Clarkson get a lot of nicer looks. Add in some pick and roll to that design and they should see a lot of improvement over this past year.

mrm55
May 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Scott didn't bench him because of poor work ethic, but ok.

Also, lol at basing anything on reporter votes. Good times. We get it, you hate everything. Move on.

Have you any facts to back up your fantasies? Do some research, that's why Scott benched him, plus he couldn't play. LMAO at how you try to sound like you know something.

Reporters know a helluva lot more than you. Sounds like you hate the truth.

mrm55
May 18th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I only hope they get a center that isn't dead (WTF happened to Hibbert?!?!?), .

Can someone explain to this guy we could've gotten a very good center in last years draft. Oh I forgot he thought Russell was better. LMAO

Then he said we could get a free agent center, after that draft mistake. Problem is no good centers want to come to a losing team.

Now he's crying for a good center. Make up your mind.

Your posts are boring me. When you have facts I'll reply. Tired of your nonsensical ramblings.

TooCool
May 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Huge choke job by OKC. I can't see Durant re-signing after his choke job. So come to LA!!! We got everything here for you. :)

SmytheKing
June 3rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Heard an interesting rumor yesterday and it's certainly worth listening to.

To the Lakers: Okafor and the Lakers 1st next year
To PHI: 2nd overall

There's a lot of pros and cons to this deal, but I'd REALLY consider it. Getting next years 1st back is what makes it worth it to me. The question is whether or not Okafor is a good fit with the youth and off court issues they already have. Does he (and the rest of the team) grow up? I gotta figure they do but, what if you make that deal and they don't? Further, what if Ingram is exactly what this team needs moving forward? A guy who hates to lose, a great shooter, a 3, solid defender.

I don't know how likely that trade is to materialize but, getting two of the top 3 players from last years draft and another 1st for the #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) this year...it certainly makes you think about it. Is Ingram going to be better over the next decade than Okafor? What about that extra 1st? Is he going to be better in total than both of them? That pick is likely to still be a top 10 pick so...you've got to think about it right?

mrm55
June 14th, 2016, 04:11 PM
✔ ‎@ChrisBHaynes

Raptors G DeMar DeRozan has officially opted out and is a free agent, league sources informed @clevelanddotcom. His deadline was June 15.

As for other suitors in free agency, the Compton native has been linked to the Los Angeles Lakers many times over the last few months. Before the end of the Raptors? playoff run, the consensus around the league, if he chose to leave the Raptors, was that he?d head back home and wear purple and gold for the foreseeable future.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-news-demar-derozan-officially-opts-out-of-contract-with-raptors/2016/06/14/

HeadInjury
June 18th, 2016, 08:30 AM
DeRozan opting out was a complete no-brainer, even if he wants to stay in Toronto.

TooCool
June 20th, 2016, 08:52 AM
With the Cavs winning, that means K-Love to L.A. is out of the question huh? =x

SmytheKing
June 20th, 2016, 10:09 AM
With the Cavs winning, that means K-Love to L.A. is out of the question huh? =x

Honestly I can't see CLE holding onto him, but at the same time, what do you expect to get for the guy too? They basically won it without him and that 22 million could be spent better somewhere else. Just not sure what their options are considering how up and down he's been since he has been there.

VEGASKING
June 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
With Lebron and Durant do we really need Love? The Warriors record gets broken the very next season as the Lakers go 82-0 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs.

mrm55
June 20th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Love this rumor: 'LeBron James wants to form ‘superteam’ in Los Angeles.' Steve Smith essentially said the same thing.

http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/nba-rumors-lebron-james-super-team-los-angeles-lakers-clippers/29767/

HeadInjury
June 21st, 2016, 12:36 PM
Internet abuzz with rumor that Ben Simmons told by Sixers that he'll be the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick. Simmons posted a picture of himself practicing in Sixers gear today so apparently true.

Ingram seems to be the better fit, so should work out well if true.

TooCool
June 21st, 2016, 08:18 PM
Love this rumor: 'LeBron James wants to form ‘superteam’ in Los Angeles.' Steve Smith essentially said the same thing.

http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/nba-rumors-lebron-james-super-team-los-angeles-lakers-clippers/29767/

Here's the thing with Lebron... lets say he were to come to Los Angeles and he had a choice. Which would it be?

Lakers - Prestigious. Can add his name to the long list of Laker legends should he help us win more titles.
Clippers - He gave the Cavs their first title, why not the Clippers as well?

I don't know.. lol. What's strange is that he really wants to play with Carmelo. 710 ESPN talked about how if Lebron came to the Lakers, Durant would sign as well. I guess that's what I like about NBA Free Agency. Lots of nonsense that can actually happen.

HeadInjury
June 23rd, 2016, 08:48 PM
As expected, Lakers take Brandon Ingram with the second pick.

With the 32nd pick, Lakers selected Ivica Zubac, a 19-year-old, 7' 1", 265 lb. center from Croatia. Was ranked as a 1st round pick. Some mock drafts had him going in the teens. One commentator says he dropped because he wants to come over right away and some teams were interested in stashing him in Europe for the time being. So presumably will be coming over next year.

SmytheKing
June 23rd, 2016, 09:00 PM
As expected, Lakers take Brandon Ingram with the second pick.

With the 32nd pick, Lakers selected Ivica Zubac, a 19-year-old, 7' 1", 265 lb. center from Croatia. Was ranked as a 1st round pick. Some mock drafts had him going in the teens. One commentator says he dropped because he wants to come over right away and some teams were interested in stashing him in Europe for the time being. So presumably will be coming over next year.

Yeah I was reading about this guy and watching some video. Pretty mobile for a guy his size. Needs to develop an outside shot but he's shooting 85% from the FT line so he's got the technique you'd think. Another thing is he's not very good defensively yet. They say that should come around with proper coaching so...let's see what happens. He seems perfect for the sort of offense you figure Walton will run (lots of movement) and he looks to be a decent rebounder too (3.5 offensive rebounds per 40 adjusted).

All in all it seems the Lakers kept it simple and addressed two needs in this draft. A SF and a C. Bring on Free Agency...and hope they don't just buy guys because they can, and instead get guys that play hard and add some grit.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ivica-Zubac-73314/

Claw21
June 24th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Lakers have $70 mil in available cap space? Wow!

VEGASKING
June 24th, 2016, 01:23 PM
The cap went up 25, 30, 35 million or whatever it was. Kobe another 25 million off the books. They have cap room for 3 max contracts. Convincing guys worth a max contract to come is another matter.

HeadInjury
June 24th, 2016, 01:29 PM
It goes up to about $110 million in another year.

Kings7
June 24th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Lebron would never join the Lakers due to the whole Kobe vs. Lebron thing, fans wouldn't embrace him. IF he comes to LA he would join CP3 his close buddy.

Claw21
June 25th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Is there a minimum salary cap floor teams need to be at? What if no relevant free agent players come to LA and Lakers don't end up signing anybody.

mrm55
June 25th, 2016, 12:54 PM
What if no relevant free agent players come to LA and Lakers don't end up signing anybody.

That has been my fear for 2 years. Right now we are the Clippers of 10 years ago.

From Laker Nation: "Unfortunately for the Lakers, they are not among the initial list of teams that Durant is currently setting up meetings with at the outset of free agency according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical: Kevin Durant?s representatives at Roc Nation are working to solidify invitations with the Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Thunder, league sources said.

Wojnarowski does note that the Lakers, among other teams, could still eventually get a meeting with Durant, but are on the outside at this time:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-l-a-not-on-list-of-teams-expected-to-meet-with-kevin-durant/2016/06/25/

FortyFour
June 25th, 2016, 01:45 PM
We are a year or 2 away from being able to draw a legit star free agent like Durant. There is nothing wrong with that. If Luke and the kids can show some lift this year, we may have a shot next year if we retain our cap flexibility and core of top tier young talent. The Lakers aren't in a bad spot.

Claw21
June 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
But do the lakers have to be at a minimum salary cap before the season starts?

HeadInjury
June 25th, 2016, 11:30 PM
The salary floor is $84.6 million, but there's no penalty if a team falls short. They just cut a check for the rest and those dollars get divided among the players who finish the season on the roster.

HeadInjury
June 26th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Byron Scott Tribute Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7kMi9aIL_s

This is a thing of beauty. Well worth the watch.

TooCool
June 27th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Byron Scott Tribute Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7kMi9aIL_s

This is a thing of beauty. Well worth the watch.

Great editing by that person. Scott was told to tank, and he did his job. Did I agree with the way he coached? Hell no.

However, I have to admit that I'm stoked with Luke Walton as the coach. This upcoming season should be fun.

Kings7
June 29th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Honestly I can't see CLE holding onto him, but at the same time, what do you expect to get for the guy too? They basically won it without him and that 22 million could be spent better somewhere else. Just not sure what their options are considering how up and down he's been since he has been there.

Love was a beast in Game 7. They don't win that game without him. Getting him to play that hungry throughout the season is another story..

SmytheKing
June 30th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Well, off to a great start in FA.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/6/30/12071796/la-lakers-free-agent-rumors-hassan-whiteside-miami-heat-meeting

"Whiteside has received interest from a bunch of teams, but to this point, he has agreed to meet with only two besides Miami: Dallas and Portland."

Claw21
June 30th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Lakers just signed a 30 year old Russian dude I've never heard of for 16 mil a year. Silly Mitch.

Ice24
June 30th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Lakers just signed a 30 year old Russian dude I've never heard of for 16 mil a year. Silly Mitch.

You never heard of Arvydas Sabonis? I believe he is about 60 years old.

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 12:25 AM
Mozgov. I'll sound like an apologist but word is that this is the guy Luke wanted. He loves him. Shaw coached him in Denver and also loved him. They needed a center. So if this is their guy and they think they can get the most out of him with consistent minutes, then the money won't look as bad when the cap goes up next year.

He looked great vs Golden State in the finals last year but then they went small and never turned back. Needless to say this isn't a signing most people envisioned but long gone are the days when the team is built around their center. Mozgov will bring a level of professionalism and work ethic that the locker room needs as well. Now please trade Nick Young.

TooCool
July 1st, 2016, 01:28 AM
Yikes.. we got hosed.

I mean, I guess if Luke wants him and he likes him.. maybe he can put him to good use. But all I see (and I'm sure everyone else) is that we're going to pay a backup center 64 million bucks. :facepalm:

The ESPN "analyst", Amin Elhassan said it best. "Do you have a pulse? Do you like basketball? Have some money!" :lol:

SmytheKing
July 1st, 2016, 06:32 AM
Yikes.. we got hosed.

I mean, I guess if Luke wants him and he likes him.. maybe he can put him to good use. But all I see (and I'm sure everyone else) is that we're going to pay a backup center 64 million bucks. :facepalm:

The ESPN "analyst", Amin Elhassan said it best. "Do you have a pulse? Do you like basketball? Have some money!" :lol:
Yeah....The cap is going to make salaries look absurd. But you gotta spend it on the right guys. This might work out...but it feels like the wrong guy. What do I know though?

Ice24
July 1st, 2016, 08:23 AM
You take what you can get. The Lakers are no longer a team that FA's are jumping to go to.

mrm55
July 1st, 2016, 08:24 AM
He played a combined 25 minutes(or 3.5 minutes per game) in the Cavs' seven-game Finals win over the Warriors.

What an addition, for only 16 million a year. That money would be right for his play in 2015. It's ludicrous based on his most recent year.

btw he just ate up 17% of our salary cap.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2016, 08:53 AM
The NBA is giving out funny money now. I heard a rumor that the fourth year is a team option. Less of an issue if true.

The reality is that 17-win teams don't attract marque free agents. The only hope for snagging some of these top free agents was their current teams not offering the max. But all the top guys are getting max offers.

SmytheKing
July 1st, 2016, 10:16 AM
The NBA is giving out funny money now. I heard a rumor that the fourth year is a team option. Less of an issue if true.

The reality is that 17-win teams don't attract marque free agents. The only hope for snagging some of these top free agents was their current teams not offering the max. But all the top guys are getting max offers.

It was also dumb for the Lakers to clear all this cap space and ignore that every other team in the league was going to have a ton of it too...and be forced to spend a lot of it. Just poor planning by management for years now and we're seeing the fruits of them resting on their laurels because "We're the Lakers". This isn't 1985 anymore. Get with it.

mrm55
July 1st, 2016, 01:05 PM
We're like a bad, small market team. We have to pay more, and give longer contracts just to get second string players.

Claw21
July 1st, 2016, 01:13 PM
The Russian came back too early from surgery from what I read. As long as no free agents interfere with Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Randle, Nance playing time then I'm okay with it. Nick Young needs to go though.

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 02:15 PM
He's going to be our starting center. When the cap goes up it'll be closer to 10% of the cap. Considering what Noah got at this stage of his career, this is a cheap option. There's still room for 2 max guys and Nick Young won't be around, saving more money.

mrm55
July 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM
The 17% is based on the projected $94,000,000 cap.

Jim Buss GTFO!

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 03:54 PM
This wasn't Jim Buss. It was Luke Walton and Brian Shaw. I'm not a fan of Jim Buss either but he stepped out of the way and let the coaches get their guy. This deal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It reminds me of when the Knicks took Porzingis with the 4th pick.

mrm55
July 1st, 2016, 04:04 PM
Coaches don't have final say. The owner does.

How in the world does this 30 year old, slow, Russian, on the downside of his career, who has never averaged more than 8 points in his career, remind you of an up and coming superstar, who in his rookie year averaged almost twice what this stiff did???

Good Lord

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 04:16 PM
It was an easy move to make fun of, that was the comparison.

Buss writes the check but again, this is Walton/Shaw's guy. Wait until you hear them talk about him.

Mozgov should be a serviceable center who defends the paint and has a good work ethic. He'll be good in the locker room. The Lakers were better off with this move than blowing even more of their cap on someone like Noah. Whiteside nor Horford were coming here at this stage of the rebuild, and Whiteside is a risky move at $20m+ a year. This is a realistic move that still allows them to offer 2 max deals if needed.

Mozgov was played out of the starting lineup by Tristen Thompson in a system that shot a zillion 3's. That isn't going to be our system, and Mozgov actually looked really good when he had consistent playing time.

mrm55
July 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
If he wasn't a plodder, I'd say there's a chance. I don't watch all the teams, but my guess is he's in the top 5 of slowest men in the NBA. That doesn't fit GSW mode, which Luke was brought here to implement.

I think Luke was saying the polite thing ("oh I like him") when management just gave him 17% of the cap.

We'll see.

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 04:30 PM
This deal obviously isn't what we all had in mind for the first signing, but when I asked a reliable source, I learned Walton and Shaw wanted Mosgov. That's what made be change my tune about the deal. They still have money. So I'll guess we'll see. It'll be interesting what guys like Biyombo and Ezeli sign for. If it's much less than 16M then that will confirm the overpayment.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2016, 09:57 PM
If he wasn't a plodder, I'd say there's a chance. I don't watch all the teams, but my guess is he's in the top 5 of slowest men in the NBA. That doesn't fit GSW mode, which Luke was brought here to implement.

I think Luke was saying the polite thing ("oh I like him") when management just gave him 17% of the cap.

We'll see.

Don't worry dude. Mike Conley signed the biggest contract ever today.

Mike Conley.

Mike Conley.

Mike Conley.

In Memphis.

Just let that sink in for awhile.

Mike Conley.

As in he played in 56 games last season, Mike Conley.

As in he shot 42.2 % from the field, Mike Conley.

Let that sink in a little more. Mike Conley.

Richest contract ever in the history of the NBA. Mike Conley.

As in, he shot 36% from the 3. Mike Conley.

Richest contract ever. I know you've let it sink in, but contemplate that a little more.

Mike Conley. 6 assists and 15 points a game, Mike Conley.

Mike Conley. Some dude in Memphis.

Not one of the 50 best players in the NBA right now. Seriously.

Wouldn't be the best player on the Lakers.

Arguably better than D'Lo, who you hate. But even you wouldn't trade D'Lo for the abortion of a contract that Mike Conley has.

****ing Mike Conley.

Now, what's your issue with the Lakers again?

FortyFour
July 1st, 2016, 10:43 PM
We talkin bout practice...err...Mike Conley.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2016, 02:19 AM
Unreal with the Mike Conley 5 yr/153 million deal. What in the **** is going on.

Cross Traffic
July 2nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
All that sweet TV money ABC/ESPN and TNT pay the NBA...speaking of BAD contracts...

Luol Deng is now a Laker 4y/72m....

https://media.giphy.com/media/12Tt4U7hlXXaRa/giphy.gif

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2016, 06:47 AM
It's okay. Deng promised he'll play every game just like this one from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uneLf-0507c

mrm55
July 2nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Now, what's your issue with the Lakers again?

Real simple issue.

We paid $15,000,000 for a old, slow second string center. Center Jahill Okafor who has 5 times the potential of this old man was available for $5,000,000 on a rookie contract.

Buss took a locker room cancer instead.

Lakers needed a center. Huge issue.

SmytheKing
July 2nd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Over the evening I stopped to think about it. None of the contracts the Lakers handed out were bad in any sense of it. They HAVE to spend around 80 million dollars which means they HAVE to sign people. They weren't getting any of the big names so, you get what you can. Deng isn't a bad player. Neither is Mozgov. The fact that they're being paid ~$16 million a year only sounds bad because older contracts have guys playing for less. When Serge Ibaka gets a 5 year 140 million dollar deal next year, let me know how bad contract a 3 year deal is for a guy at half the cost. Just can't compare these contracts with older ones. The equivalent of a 16 a year contract was like 12.

mrm55
July 2nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
After seeing more "deals", I Concur.

Claw21
July 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
I'd be happy if Lakers could unload Lou Williams and Nick Young.

SmytheKing
July 2nd, 2016, 01:25 PM
I saw a tweet that said basically to imagine if the Lakers news went like this.

Re-signed Jordan Clarkson on Thurs night
Signed Deng on Friday afternoon
Signed Mozgov on Friday night

No one would care. It's mostly the optics of Mozgov not only being the first news reported, but the first FA contract signed in the NBA. It was the first shock that everyone reacted to. Now though, these other contracts...it's not terrible at all. Just an adjustment period needed. There's still work to do but, the Lakers have improved their defense (on paper) and their outside shooting. Add in a new system and we'll see how it goes.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
As strange as it sounds.. Deng's contract sounds serviceable.

It's nuts though, with all these other guys getting paid huge. It makes Kobe's 24 mil look like chump change.

FortyFour
July 2nd, 2016, 04:05 PM
The NBA is a lucrative business. All this money is either going to the owners, or the players. It's a good collective bargaining agreement for the players, that's for sure. It's probably better this way.

SmytheKing
July 2nd, 2016, 04:44 PM
As strange as it sounds.. Deng's contract sounds serviceable.

It's nuts though, with all these other guys getting paid huge. It makes Kobe's 24 mil look like chump change.

...as Al Horford signs for nearly 30 million a year. Four years and $113 million.

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2016, 06:44 AM
Reports are that neither Mozgov's and Deng's contracts have team options in the final years. Sounds like the Lakers had to throw money and term at these guys to get them to sign.

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2016, 06:49 AM
I realize that a highlight reel doesn't paint an accurate picture, but Mosgov does have some skills to look forward to seeing in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1798nvbpEYw

mrm55
July 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
With the dust settling, here's an interesting thought (not mine):

"There is no quick fix in L.A. To become a viable free-agent destination, the Lakers need Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, and Randle to become stars. If those guys can live up to their potential, their future is bright. In the meantime, the only thing the Lakers can do is acquire players who can put those guys in the best position to succeed. That?s the only way to judge the Mozgov and Deng deals, not by how it affects their salary cap."

TooCool
July 3rd, 2016, 10:21 PM
With the dust settling, here's an interesting thought (not mine):

"There is no quick fix in L.A. To become a viable free-agent destination, the Lakers need Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, and Randle to become stars. If those guys can live up to their potential, their future is bright. In the meantime, the only thing the Lakers can do is acquire players who can put those guys in the best position to succeed. That’s the only way to judge the Mozgov and Deng deals, not by how it affects their salary cap."

To be honest. I'm okay with that.

Generally, when the Lakers are mentioned people usually think of champions. However, these last 4+ years we got to the point where we're pretty much the butt of the league (with lots of history and haters), but that is still more than we can say for the Clippers who are just the butt of the league no matter what. It's cool that the Clips are trying to win, but until they do.. no one will care.

So for us, I'm willing to see guys like Randle, Russell, Ingram, and Clarkson grow to become superstars in their own right. That's where I'm excited about Luke Walton coaching I think. As much as I love Kobe, I'm excited to see how the Lakers play when the gameplan isn't "Kobe ball (aka, stand around and let him do his thing). Just play hard, develop properly, and get back to .500. When we're good enough to finally lose that protected pick to Phoenix, then that's when we should be decent enough to maybe attract more free agents in the future.

But for now, I'm excited to see how they'll gel and hopefully see them play decent ball. If they win, great. If they don't, who cares right? :)

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2016, 11:21 PM
Tarik Black re-signs for 2 years, $12.85 million.

Criminally underused by Scott.

Claw21
July 4th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Meanwhile, Durant signs with Golden State so all these absurd contracts everybody is signing don't matter.

HeadInjury
July 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Durant announces he is signing with Golden State. The legend that is Jerry West strikes again.

Would have to think that increases the likelihood and Russell Westbrook is a Laker next year. He's an LA native and his family still lives here.

Claw21
July 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Jerry West was able to get a word with Durant. How did the Lakers ever let West get away? Initially, I thought he just retired. Did I miss something?

HeadInjury
July 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Meanwhile, Durant signs with Golden State so all these absurd contracts everybody is signing don't matter.

The Warriors will have to trade Bogut now. Probably have to renounce the rights to Harrison Barnes too.

HeadInjury
July 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Jerry West was able to get a word with Durant. How did the Lakers ever let West get away? Initially, I thought he just retired. Did I miss something?

West didn't get along with Jackson. Jerry Buss let him leave. West first went to Memphis and has worked for the Warriors for quite some time.

mrm55
July 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM
The 2017 odds on GSW winning it all are -125.

In 25 years I've never seen future book odds so low (before the season even begins) on any of the 4 major sports.

Claw21
July 4th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Trade L. Williams and Nick Young to OKC. They need scorers.

TooCool
July 4th, 2016, 02:05 PM
So Stern was able to block the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade because he didn't want us to have a super team. But of course there's no way Silver is able to block any deals via free agency.

Now I can definitely see Wade going to the Knicks or reunite with Lebron if he feels like he wants a chance to beat Golden State next year.

HeadInjury
July 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Lakers acquire PG Jose Calderon from the Bulls. Not sure what for. Possible Lakers getting something for taking him ($7.7 million expiring contract). Bulls had to clear cap space to sign Wade.

Edit: Mike Bresnahan saying Lakers getting two future 2nd round picks in the trade. I think something would have to go back to Chicago, maybe the rights to an unsigned draft pick or something.

Calderon was on the Knicks last year then traded to Chicago in the Derrick Rose deal. As a backup, he'll be fine. Was not good as a starter in New York.

TooCool
July 6th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Well, there's always this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Eik_rrJiU

HeadInjury
July 6th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Huertas' defense on that play was horrid.

Claw21
July 6th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Huertas is horrid.

HeadInjury
July 7th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Huertas is horrid.

Two More Years!

Two More Years!

Two More Years!

Sorry

SmytheKing
July 8th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Two More Years!

Two More Years!

Two More Years!

Sorry

That signing is really odd. I mean, Huertas/Clarkson/Williams/Russell/Calderon are all basically PG's. I know Clarkson and Williams can play SG too...but it seems like a bigger backcourt than you want. Someone getting moved soon?

FortyFour
July 8th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Summer league game #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) was encouraging. Wow.

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2016, 09:59 PM
D'Lo, Ingram, Zubac, Nance, all looked solid.

Claw21
July 8th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I know it's only summer but you're right, they looked really good. Crazy defense and blocked shots everywhere. Zubac surprised me. That kid looks real good.

TooCool
July 9th, 2016, 03:07 AM
Nice to see the final box score and a 20+ point win. I only saw like 4 minutes of the 2nd quarter and I didn't care enough to stick around. What I did see was Ingram working the post a bit, and Russell putting on a show. Then on the Pelicans side, all their guard did was dribble up the court and chuck jumpers over and over. So yeah, like you guys said. It's summer league.