PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2016-2017 Thread

HeadInjury
July 16th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Seems like its time for a new season thread.

Roster as it stands now:

PG: Russell, Calderon, Huertas
SG: Clarkson, Williams, Young
SF: Deng, Ingram, Brown
PF: Randle, Nance
C: Mozgov, Black, Zubac

From the summer league play, PF Zach Auguste probably has the best shot of making the team.

Some speculation that Young will be bought out.

I think the team was more talented than its record last year would suggest. In addition to Scott's bizarre lineup/substitution decisions, I think Kobe's poor shooting (36% overall, 28.5% from the 3) threw everything off. No other team would have a 36% shooter as it's first option. But last year was a unique situation.

I think the team will be fun to watch. Biggest question to me is can these guys play defense.

Claw21
July 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I would like to see Jabari Brown make the team.

GoKings!
August 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM
If an L.A. Basketball team could pick up Draymond Green, that'd be cool.

LetTigerIn
August 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM
If an L.A. Basketball team could pick up Draymond Green, that'd be cool.

Well, he could join fellow nut-puncher Chris Paul.

I don't follow basketball enough to know, so I ask what would an all-nut-punch NBA squad look like?

HeadInjury
August 18th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Looks like the Lakers will sign Yi Jianlian to a one year deal.

Claw21
August 25th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Who?

HeadInjury
August 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Top Chinese player. Played in the NBA for a while, then went back home for a few years. Didn't really click first time around.

HeadInjury
October 4th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Ok, so let's all predict the number of wins Lakers will get this season.

I'll say 32.

I took the 17 wins last year, then added 10 for new coach and no Kobe shooting high volume at 36% (28% from the 3) and 5 more wins for the improved roster.

VEGASKING
October 4th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Huertas lead the team is APG last season playing 16 minutes a game. How embarrassing.

And it wasn't just Kobe. Look at everyones shooting percentage. Of the starting 5 (just based on MPG) Clarkson had the best percentage at a mediocre .433. I never realized how bad Hibbert was. How a 7'2 center hasn't shot 50% in any given season in his career is beyond me. Williams .408, Russell .410, Randle .429, Hibbert .443. When even your big men can't shoot 45% you're in trouble.

Really hard to predict anything right now. I hope Walton turns things around but I'd say 25 wins is realistic as of now.

TooCool
October 4th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I kind of want to see what kind of Lakers ball we'll see during the Pre-Season before guessing. But if I *had* to pick now, I'll go with... 30. The West is just too damn powerful.

WestCoastIPA
October 6th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I also think 30 is the number that this team can aspire to. Don't see much more than that, unless all this young talent really gels quickly. I'm really hoping that Walton turns out to be a good choice. We need to give him time though. This is going to be a process, but I think the team is heading in the right direction.

I just want to see the team get better. They've been so bad the last few years, I practically stopped watching the games.

Go Lakers!

LetTigerIn
October 6th, 2016, 03:39 PM
The reported number is 24.5, FWIW.

HeadInjury
October 10th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Lakers 2-1 in the preseason so far. Their loss was a result of the non-NBA caliber players blowing a lead in the 4th quarter.

TooCool
October 10th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I've only been watching the highlights so I have no idea how they're playing defense.

While it's just the Pre-Season, it's crazy to see them drain so many 3s. Live by the 3, die by the 3 offense eh? Very Golden State like.. set a pick, and launch one. And it's interesting to note that when Randle (or any other big guy) has the ball near the paint, other 4 Lakers will spread the floor. The key thing is that they're actually moving and not standing around playing Kobe-ball. Whether or not they do that the whole game I have no idea. It's just a little refreshing to see from the highlight clips anyway.

HeadInjury
October 14th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Lakers have struggled more in the last two games, their preseason record dropping to 2-3. D'Angelo Russell had a heck of a game last night though with 31 points and 11 assists.

SmytheKing
October 14th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Lakers have struggled more in the last two games, their preseason record dropping to 2-3. D'Angelo Russell had a heck of a game last night though with 31 points and 11 assists.

He's a bum........

Kings7
October 20th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Ok, so let's all predict the number of wins Lakers will get this season.

I'll say 32.

27 for me, same prediction as ESPN.

HeadInjury
October 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Lakers waived Yi Jianlian and Anthony Brown today in get to their 15-man roster. Apparently Yi Jianlian asked to be waived. His contract bonuses were heavily weighted to games played and it didn't look like he would get in many.

Anthony Brown is a surprise cut but his shooting has been poor since he was drafted in the 2nd round last year.

Making the team are Thomas Robinson and Metta World Peace, who were thought to be the ones heading out. I imagine both will rarely dress. MWP is basically transitioning to coaching I think.

Nick Young makes the team. The surprise here is that Nick Young actually deserves to be on the team and appears to be in Luke Walton's rotation. Was one of the better players in preseason.

HeadInjury
October 26th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Lakers tied 38-38 after the 1st quarter. The score is a little deceptive. Lakers making outside shots but are being destroyed defensively.

HeadInjury
October 26th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Lakers win 120-114. They are fun to watch, but they are a mess defensively.

TooCool
October 27th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Lakers win 120-114. They are fun to watch, but they are a mess defensively.

Agreed. Still a lot of defensive lapses and both teams were just chucking up shots left and right.

Funny thing though is that we missed a ton of uncontested shots too. If the Lakers would have drained it, they would likely have pulled away easily. But it just felt like both teams would trade baskets, and then both teams would go cold at the same time, all game long.

But I suppose a win is a win. If anything, it has to be a good confidence booster for the kids.

VEGASKING
October 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
D'Antoni is a head coach again. Harden must have lobbied hard to play for an offense minded coach who won't try to make him play defense.

Claw21
October 27th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Houston only scored 18 points in 4th quarter so ,,, yes defense was lacking in the first half, it tightened up when it counted.

HeadInjury
November 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Nice win last night in Atlanta. Now 2-3 for the season. Only one game that wasn't competitive in the 4th quarter so far.

TooCool
November 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM
Nice win last night in Atlanta. Now 2-3 for the season. Only one game that wasn't competitive in the 4th quarter so far.

It's a good sign so far. The Lakers are actually in the games after 3 quarters. Whereas in the Byron Scott era, after the 1st quarter we would already be down by 15+ and you know the game is already lost.

Maybe I'm too nitpicky but I feel like we're too streaky so far. We go on 8-0 runs or we give the other team 10-0 runs. There's no balance yet.

HeadInjury
November 4th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Lakers 117 - Warriors 97

Free Tacos!

TooCool
November 6th, 2016, 10:14 PM
We're over .500!!!

HeadInjury
November 6th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Lakers next 5 games are against Dallas, Sacramento, New Orleans, Minnesota and Brooklyn, all of whom have losing records. Dallas, New Orleans and Minnesota have a total of 2 wins combined.

TooCool
November 7th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Lakers next 5 games are against Dallas, Sacramento, New Orleans, Minnesota and Brooklyn, all of whom have losing records. Dallas, New Orleans and Minnesota have a total of 2 wins combined.

Dirk is out for at least a week too. So you're saying we *SHOULD* win the next 5? 9-3 record would be nuts. :)

HeadInjury
November 9th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I was too busy trying to lift my jaw off the floor last night to watch the game, but the team cr@pped the bed against a shorthanded Dallas.

DancingBarry over at lakersground.net provides a breakdown of each game. Here's his from last night: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=179993

Looks like Young and Clarkson both had great games once again.

HeadInjury
November 13th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Lakers win 126-99 on Saturday, so naturally they lose 125-99 today.

TooCool
November 14th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Lakers win 126-99 on Saturday, so naturally they lose 125-99 today.

Yep.

Saturday against the Pelicans

FG - 52-94
FG% - 55.3%

3PT FG - 16-30
3PT FG% - 53.3%

Sunday against the T-Wolves

FG - 33-71
FG% - 46.5%

3PT FG - 8-24
3PT FG% - 33.3%

Huge differences if you can't make your damn shots. But I think the biggest thing when I saw the box score is... how the hell did the Lakers get 23 less shots on Sunday compared to Saturday? Yikes.

Either way, they're winning. They're above .500 for now at 6-5. However, you did mention in a post earlier that these 5 games are all against teams under .500 and if we are losing to some of them, just wait until we play the tougher teams.

HeadInjury
November 16th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Lakers win last night. Now 7-5 and on pace to win 48 games. The schedule gets harder now so we'll start to see how they really stack up against the rest of the league.

mrm55
November 16th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Kenny Smith, TNT co-host, now lives in LA, and said he watches the Lakers a lot. He figures they're good for 30-40 wins this year.

HeadInjury
November 22nd, 2016, 11:25 PM
That was quite a game against OKC. Lakers blow a 108-99 lead, going scoreless for over 3 minutes at the end of the game, only to have Nick Young intercept a pass intended for a teammate and throw in a bomb from downtown to win it with 5 seconds left.

HeadInjury
November 23rd, 2016, 07:57 AM
Luke Walton on Nick Young's final play: “I think it’s absolute BS he doesn’t get a steal in the stat sheet because he stole that pass.”

VEGASKING
November 23rd, 2016, 09:23 AM
I would have been happy to get a couple used basketballs back for Nick Young in the offseason but he's been pretty good so far. Shooting a career high 45.9%.

TooCool
November 23rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
That's Nick Young for you. LOL

If he missed it, everyone would yell at him for saying it was Lou's ball.

Young traveled big time though on that shot. Caught the ball, took 3 steps. Then he took another 2 steps without dribbling and launched the 3. :lol:

HeadInjury
November 27th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Lakers beat Atlanta to sweep the season series 2-0. They've played the last few games without Russell (knee) and Randle (hip pointer). Starting lineup tonight was Calderon, Young, Deng, Robinson and Mozgov. Yet they beat what was the third ranked team in the East coming in.

HeadInjury
December 11th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Lakers have lost 5 in a row now, dropping to a record of 10-15. Russell, Young, Calderon and Black are out injured. Randle and Nance have dealt with injuries lately, but are playing. Lou Williams continues to be the bright spot.

TooCool
December 15th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Kind of wish we could see what the healthy Lakers could do. But nooooooooo, always gotta have injuries. It's like we're cursed.

HeadInjury
December 20th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Lakers started the season with a record of 10-10. They will reach 20-20 if they can win 9 games in a row.

HeadInjury
January 13th, 2017, 01:43 PM
I'm starting to get a little annoyed at Jose Calderon. He got zero points last night. Had he scored 41, we would have won.

HeadInjury
January 27th, 2017, 07:10 AM
After starting 10-10, the Lakers have gone 6-24 and now have the second worst record in the League.

Russell is injured and the team usually isn't competitive without him.

On the bright side, Zubac is getting minutes now and looks promising. Nance is also back from injury.

Interesting choice to be made on Lou Williams. Might be able to get a late first rounder for him. Team's leading scorer even though coming off the bench.

Note that if the lottery balls are kind again and the Lakers keep their first round pick (top three protected), Philly will get the Lakers' 2018 pick and Orlando will not get the first round pick the Lakers still owe them from the Dwight Howard trade. Instead it gets converted to two second round picks. So keeping their pick this year is actually a big deal.

Absent trading Williams, there isn't much the Lakers can do to tank since they are already playing their young players a lot. There isn't much difference in production between the young players and the vets. I guess they could throw MWP out there for 30 minutes a game, but the young players need those minutes.

If they start winning again and lose the pick fine, but there is a potential silver lining in this.

HeadInjury
February 2nd, 2017, 11:29 AM
Russell returned to action and the Lakers won. I don't think it was a coincidence. Their starting lineup is a disaster without him.

HeadInjury
February 5th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Jeanie Buss has hired Magic Johnson as a special advisor. He has no defined role really, but will report to her.

As low of an opinion that most have of Jim Buss, I think even less of Jeanie. She has no BB acumen whatsoever. When she's interviewed she tries to avoid getting into a discussion of basketball X's and O's. When she does, she can barely form complete sentences, let alone make any sense.

Hiring Magic is a classic Jeanie move because everything is PR with her, so she goes with the most popular person she can think of. Plus Phil Jackson is unavailable and broke her heart.

Magic has had zero success in basketball operations. He was a horrible coach. He's a terrible BB commentator too.

My guess is that Jeanie wants someone with some gravitas "advising" her so that when she pulls the plug on Jim Buss it looks like she's doing it for reasons other than her personal problems with her brother.

I'm fine with Jim Buss getting the axe, but the Buss family could learn something from Phil Anschutz. Put all of the business and BB operations into competent hands and stay out of it.

HeadInjury
February 10th, 2017, 11:18 AM
And now Magic confirms that he wants to call the shots for the team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18657838/magic-johnson-says-wants-call-shots-los-angeles-lakers

VEGASKING
February 10th, 2017, 02:17 PM
No amount of top draft picks are ever enough to turn things around with bad management. I was hoping a few years in the basement to re-stock the talent pool would work but I don't see any change in the near future unless the front office gets a complete overhaul. Amazing how quickly the model franchise in all of sports has turned into the Titanic.

HeadInjury
February 10th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Lakers beat the Bucks. They are 3-3 since Russell returned from injury.

Deng with zero points in 29 minutes. Mozgov did not play - coach's decision.

Zubac with 15 points. He may be better than Ingram.

This team drafts well. Historically, trades have been good, except for Nash of course. Although that only happened because Stern nixed the CP3 trade.

They haven't been able to sign high-end free agents in years and the new CBA makes it even harder now. The Deng and Mozgov contracts are really bad. The 4-year terms are brutal.

The Williams signing was excellent though. Ironically, the Young contract we all complained about is now below market, and he'll probably opt out. Had 26 points tonight.

Team still with the 3rd worst record, but I think they'll end up passing some teams and the chances of retaining the pick will be slim.

HeadInjury
February 15th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Rumor is that Lakers are actively shopping Lou Williams. Lou is instant offense and almost won the game last night with 29 points in 24 minutes. However, with the Lakers still a few years away from contending at the earliest and with Lou's poor defensive game, if they can get a 1st rounder for him, I think it's the right move. Might even be able to get a young player on top of a pick.

HeadInjury
February 20th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Sacramento trades Boogie Cousins to New Orleans for three guys averaging less than 10 points per game, most notably 2016 lottery pick Buddy Hield, and a first and a second round pick. The first rounder might not even be a lottery pick as New Orleans is 1.5 games out of a playoff position. New Orleans now has the best power forward and the best center in the league.

Vlade Divac is no Jim Buss.

Apparently, the Lakers inquired but were told Ingram would have to be included and decided to pass.

TooCool
February 21st, 2017, 10:58 AM
Oh Vlade. Helping us out even when you're not a Laker anymore. Thanks!

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 11:38 AM
Magic in charge. Jimmy the loser, and Mitch fired. YES!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18734012/los-angeles-lakers-put-magic-johnson-charge-fire-mitch-kupchak-jim-buss

TooCool
February 21st, 2017, 12:04 PM
Wow, Magic went from special advisor to President of Business Operations in a hurry... :lol:

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 12:44 PM
Basketball operations, not business operations. I'd be happier if he was in a role similar to Luc.

If he hires a great GM and lets him do his job, we should be fine. If he tries to actually make decisions, Phil Jackson will look like a great executive in comparison. In Magic I do not trust.

I think the Mozgov and Deng contracts were the final nails in the coffin for Mitch and Jim.

Timing is a little odd, right before the trade deadline. I don't like the idea of Magic in charge of trading decisions with only 2 days on the job.

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 12:51 PM
Rumor is that Kobe's agent, Rob Pelinka, will be the next GM. Since he's an agent, I think it would take awhile for him to actually take over, since he is going to have to drop all of his clients.

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 12:52 PM
I think the Mozgov and Deng contracts were the final nails in the coffin for Mitch and Jim.

Timing is a little odd, right before the trade deadline. I don't like the idea of Magic in charge of trading decisions with only 2 days on the job.

Agree with the bad contacts, creating an impetus.

My guess as to why it went down with 2 days before the trade deadline is that Magic wanted Cousins, and Jimbo wouldn't pull the trigger. Lakers were close to getting him. Vlade even said he had a better offer 2 days ago, I'm thinking was that the Lakers offer? So Jeanie says "that's it!"

jmo

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 01:04 PM
I think you might be right on Magic thinking they should have traded for Cousins.

Over on Lakersground.net, some posters are posting old tweets from Magic which are cringe worthy. Such as his tweet that Dallas' trade for Rondo will put them in contention in the Western Conference.

http://i.imgur.com/HxC8Mts.png

http://i.imgur.com/2vGZb22.png

http://i.imgur.com/4437o9m.png

http://i.imgur.com/6vAKo9L.png

http://i.imgur.com/NxDL5lV.png

http://i.imgur.com/tdgA09T.png

http://i.imgur.com/UzvvLrW.png

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 01:06 PM
Well, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, it turns out Cousins’ agent did not do the Kings any favors.

“Jarinn Akana and Dan Fegan, who represent Cousins, they did their job here, which was to — and this also complicated what they could get in a trade — Jarinn came out publicly last night and privately they told teams, ‘If you trade for Cousins, we’re telling you, he may not stay. He may nor re-sign with you. The Lakers are going to have a lot of cap space again potentially in a couple years. He could go to L.A. as a free agent. He might not stay in New Orleans or he might not stay in Phoenix or anywhere else...’

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM
The Lakers' press release devoted one whole sentence of gratitude to Mitch Kupchak: "We are grateful for the many contributions Mitch has made to the Lakers over the years and we wish him all the best."

Could have at least mentioned the championships they won with Mitch at the helm. Not very classy.

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 01:18 PM
We're not the only one thinking not getting Cousins was the coup de gras.

Did the Lakers fire Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak because they failed to trade for DeMarcus Cousins?

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/21/14688642/magic-johnson-lakers-jim-buss-demarcus-cousins-trade-rumors

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 02:36 PM
Ramona Shelburne, an NBA Insider and senior writer for ESPN. Is on the Mason & Ireland show right now. She said the Lakers have a #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick from Washington, and possibly Utah for sweet Lou.

LetTigerIn
February 21st, 2017, 02:41 PM
Gotta be said: the Buck stops here.

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 03:12 PM
Ramona Shelburne, an NBA Insider and senior writer for ESPN. Is on the Mason & Ireland show right now. She said the Lakers have a #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick from Washington, and possibly Utah for sweet Lou.

Utah also has Golden State's pick. I bet that's the one being dangled. If it's Utah's own pick being offered, the trade should already be done.

One point I've heard experts say is that Lou's poor defense will be exposed by playoff teams. Might limit what other teams are willing to offer.

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 03:15 PM
Utah also has Golden State's pick. I bet that's the one being dangled. If it's Utah's own pick being offered, the trade should already be done.

One point I've heard experts say is that Lou's poor defense will be exposed by playoff teams. Might limit what other teams are willing to offer.

That, and his theatrics that get him a +1 won't be called in playoff basketball.

VEGASKING
February 21st, 2017, 03:46 PM
Not trading Ingram for Cousins should be a fireable offense. But count me in the group of skeptical people in regards to Magic.

I knew Williams was a good signing. Unfortunately he's been the only one which makes trading him that much tougher. Should be for a top 10 pick but none of the teams that would want him are picking that high. Need to get a taker for Deng and/or Mozgov.

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 04:37 PM
Ramona Shelburne ESPN‏@ramonashelburne ? 7 minutes ago

"Pelinka has begun informing his clients of possibility of him being Lakers GM, per sources. He's widely expected to be announced soon."

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 04:47 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
(@WojVerticalNBA)
"Lakers are finalizing a multi-year agreement with agent Rob Pelinka as general manager, league sources tell @TheVertical. He'll start soon"

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 05:46 PM
Not trading Ingram for Cousins should be a fireable offense. But count me in the group of skeptical people in regards to Magic.

I knew Williams was a good signing. Unfortunately he's been the only one which makes trading him that much tougher. Should be for a top 10 pick but none of the teams that would want him are picking that high. Need to get a taker for Deng and/or Mozgov.

Williams isn't worth a top-10 pick.

Since the Lakers cannot trade first round picks in consecutive years, the earliest first rounder they could have traded would be in either 2020 or 2021. Not sure that would have interested Sacramento. If we are talking an Ingram and Randle/D'Lo trade, I wouldn't have been in favor of that. Two lottery picks are tough to trade for a guy that's a free agent in a year and would require a massive contract. Cousins is the best center in the league, but I hear players hated playing with him. Not a bad guy off the court actually, but his teammates didn't like playing with him.

mrm55
February 21st, 2017, 05:51 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
(@WojVerticalNBA)
The Rockets are sending Corey Brewer and a first-round pick to the Lakers for Lou Williams, league source tells @TheVertical

HeadInjury
February 21st, 2017, 06:42 PM
Don't particularly like the Brewer part, since it's another $7.5 million in salary next year.

HeadInjury
February 23rd, 2017, 12:47 PM
If you're following the NBA trade deadline today, multiple reputable reporters are saying that Paul George is hell bent on signing with the Lakers in 2018 unless the Pacers are competitive by then. Apparently, Denver was ready to present a strong offer today for him, but his agent told them he wouldn't re-sign if traded there.

HeadInjury
February 23rd, 2017, 12:54 PM
Lakers trade Huertas to Houston for Tyler Ennis, a 2014 first round pick. He's been basically a bust, so a probable reclamation project.

HeadInjury
February 23rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
Nick Young survives another trade deadline. Not traded.

LetTigerIn
February 23rd, 2017, 02:49 PM
If you're following the NBA trade deadline today, multiple reputable reporters are saying that Paul George is hell bent on signing with the Lakers in 2018 unless the Pacers are competitive by then. Apparently, Denver was ready to present a strong offer today for him, but his agent told them he wouldn't re-sign if traded there.

If that doesn't work out, they could unretire Devean George.

HeadInjury
February 23rd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Ha. Lou Williams scores 27 points in 25 minutes for Houston as they beat New Orleans and Boogie Cousins by 30. Lou didn't even get a chance to participate in the shoot around before the game. Makes a career high 7 three pointers

HeadInjury
February 26th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Lakers lose to Spurs by 21. Ingram started and had 22 points, so that's the silver lining.

HeadInjury
February 26th, 2017, 08:33 PM
It's that time again. I thought the tank was over, but here we are. Lakers will get to keep their first round pick if they finish in the top three in the draft. Here are the odds of getting in the top-three by worst record:

1. 64.3%
2. 55.8%
3. 46.9%
4. 37.8%
5. 29.1%
6. 21.5%
7. 15.0%

Right now, the Lakers are in the 3rd spot, one-half game behind Phoenix in the 2nd spot. Lakers are 3 games ahead of Orlando and four games ahead of Philly. 14 of the Lakers last 22 games are at home, so while the team is in full tank mode now, their schedule will help them win some games one would think.

TooCool
February 27th, 2017, 09:13 AM
It's that time again. I thought the tank was over, but here we are. Lakers will get to keep their first round pick if they finish in the top three in the draft. Here are the odds of getting in the top-three by worst record:

1. 64.3%
2. 55.8%
3. 46.9%
4. 37.8%
5. 29.1%
6. 21.5%
7. 15.0%

Right now, the Lakers are in the 3rd spot, one-half game behind Phoenix in the 2nd spot. Lakers are 3 games ahead of Orlando and four games ahead of Philly. 14 of the Lakers last 22 games are at home, so while the team is in full tank mode now, their schedule will help them win some games one would think.

Going into this season I was half expecting the Lakers to finish just short of the playoff picture. Maybe like 10th in the conference. Guess that won't be happening... :lol:

Back to full tank mode it is. Here's hoping that we get another Top 3 pick and with Magic in charge hopefully some big name Free Agent will actually want to sign here and right the ship.

HeadInjury
March 3rd, 2017, 01:42 PM
Jose Calderon was signed by Golden State and then cut 2 hours later so they could sign Matt Barnes because of the Durant injury. For his troubles, Golden State paid Calderon $400,000.

$200,000 per hour is a pretty sweet gig if you can get it.

mrm55
March 3rd, 2017, 06:41 PM
Please dear God don't let Jim Buss win his job back.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18816027/los-angeles-lakers-jeanie-buss-thwarts-coup-attempt-brothers-johnny-buss-jim-buss

HeadInjury
March 3rd, 2017, 10:59 PM
They all hate each other. They should just collectively pull an Uncle Phil and leave the team for others to operate. Jeanie winning or Jim winning is just the flip side of the same clusterf***.

In tanking news, pretty much a perfect night. Lakers lose. Phoenix, Philly and Orlando all win. Lakers now with the second worst record in the league.

FortyFour
March 4th, 2017, 12:33 AM
I disagree headinjury. Jeanie is deserving of the team and has the respect of league executives. She knows who to surround herself with. Jim on the other hand is a laughing stock and thinks he can do it on his own.

mrm55
March 4th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Jim has failed at everything. In 1985, Jim Buss became president of his father's indoor soccer team, the Los Angeles Lazers for 4 years, but the team folded in 1989 under his tenure. He next became a horse trainer for 9 sad years, receiving from his father the half-dozen thoroughbreds he owned. In 1997, Jerry Buss divested himself of his horse racing stock that was increasingly unprofitable (good job Jimmy, another failed adventure.) btw no other owners entrusted their horses to Jimmy, that tells you how good he was. The Lakers are his third failure. You hear any knowledgeable people say Jimmy should still be there?

HeadInjury
March 4th, 2017, 12:16 PM
I disagree headinjury. Jeanie is deserving of the team and has the respect of league executives. She knows who to surround herself with. Jim on the other hand is a laughing stock and thinks he can do it on his own.

What exactly are Jeanie's accomplishments? Appearing in Playboy? Banging the head coach? Helping drive Jerry West away? Coming up with the Please Stay billboards for Dwight Howard?

I'm fine with Jim being gone. He deserves some credit for the Lakers drafting Bynum years ago and that helped win two titles. But nothing has worked out in recent years. Putting aside all the other failures, the Mozgov and Deng contracts are terminable offenses. Those guys are going to earn 30% of our entire cap for the next three seasons.

I am not on Team Jim or Team Jeanie. I wish they would both just step aside and not be involved in operations at all. Jeanie hiring Magic is the classic example of her M.O.: Trying to be popular. Magic has no experience running a team. First thing he says is he doesn't know the terms of the new CBA. Isn't that reassuring? Then they hire Kobe's agent to be GM. This is the most storied organization in basketball, which is in a complete mess, is going have to assess which youngsters should stay and which should be traded, is going to have to deal with cap constraints and $32 million in dead cap space, and they bring in two guys who have never dealt with these issues before or even been part of operations for an NBA team.

I hope it somehow works out. But there is zero reason to have any confidence in Jeanie to be able to make the right decisions.

mrm55
March 5th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Yes. Phoenix beats Boston at buzzer. Has a 2 game lead on Lakers.

FortyFour
March 5th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Headinjury that's an interesting take but I see it differently. The Buss's will own the Lakers for decades to come. In no scenario will they just walk away from that so anyone who wishes they would just walk away is kidding themselves. All you can hope for is that the right minded ones retain control, and that they surround themselves with the right people for the job. It is how the family ran the team for decades, and recent moves suggest Jeanie understands this well.

Say what you want about Magic not knowing the CBA, but it's business and basketball, 2 things he knows well. That doesn't worry me. His first move was to bring in someone who knows the CBA front and back...

Pelinka won't be the last agent that is hired as a GM (Bob Myers). It's an interesting move, I agree, but here is someone who has relationships with hundreds of players (youthful ones) and can negotiate the business side of basketball very well. You say he was Kobe's agent like it's a bad thing, I don't get that.

Magic has also chosen to give Ryan West (son of Jerry) the keys to player development and a significant voice in the room. Long gone are Mitch and Jim locking themselves in their office come trade deadline.

You can remember Jeanie as being in playboy or being on the NBA Board of Governors. But all she's done since Jerry Buss died is follow his will (let Jim run basketball), fired him in dramatic fashion, and hired legend who has never let them down before and has had one of the most successful post-athletic careers ever. Would I have preferred that she called Jerry West? Yes. Hell yes. But who knows what the future will hold. He's still under contract with the Warriors until the end of this year for what it's worth.

HeadInjury
March 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Magic knows basketball well, no doubt. But that didn't make him a good coach and it doesn't translate into likely success in operations. Phil Jackson had no experience running a club before and, despite being a great coach, his tenure in New York so far has been a disaster.

Ryan West and Jesse Buss have both shown some promise and both were part of the prior regime. I'm glad Ryan is being retained. Jesse Buss was instrumental in the Lakers drafting Clarkson if I recall correctly.

Given Jerry West's age and role with Golden State, turning to him wasn't really an option. I seriously doubt West would have agreed to come back to the team. Jerry Buss' habit of trying to diminish West's importance (while elevating his own) was a sore spot and given Jeannie's allegiance to Jackson, I expect there's some bad feelings there too. It's a shame as West should have been better appreciated by ownership.

Again, I hope it works out. But if it does, it will likely be just good luck as opposed to good decision making. Hopefully, the lottery balls are kind, we get an impact player with our top three pick and Paul George decides to come here after next season. I could see things turning around should that happen.

FortyFour
March 6th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Agreed

mrm55
March 8th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Good synopsis of what happened between Jim and Jeanie.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18840779/the-story-los-angeles-lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-tough-decision

HeadInjury
March 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM
This is what a really dislike about the Buss family. They don't get along that then these types of stories are released trashing one another. Jeanie has the sympathetic ear of Ramona and a couple other writers. I think Kevin Ding is one. (There's article out there from a while back which includes an account of the tragedy of her dog dying.) She gives these reporters access and they provide her with good coverage. But the whole "woe is me" angle and the tough decisions she had to make, etc., is pure spin.

Again, that is her MO. When Kobe got his extension, Jeanie originally defended it as a prime example of what her father stood for and would have done. When Kobe sucked, she turned around and said the contract was Jim's and Mitch's idea, not hers. She was a big time supporter of trying to re-sign Howard and now this article claims she asked Jim and Mitch why they didn't trade him when they had the chance. It was crystal clear at the time what Jim and Mitch had decided to do: re-sign Dwight or use the cap space to try to sign someone else. Obviously, it didn't work, but there was no mystery to what the plan was. Mitch discussed it openly with the media at the time.

The fact that the article implies she was for signing Carmelo Anthony is very telling. We dodged a bullet there. Had they signed him and the team wasn't successful, Jeanie would be blaming it on her brother now.

Ramona is a good writer and it's pretty clear its a 4 vs. 2 situation in the Buss family and Jeanie will win in the end. But if this team doesn't succeed under Magic, Jeanie's not going to have anyone left to blame.

Not trying to suggest that Jim should have been retained. He was a disaster. But Jeanie's need to get stories like this one out about the family's squabbles is part of the problem.

Edit: By the way, Magic making claims of what Jerry Buss supposedly told him from his death bed (pro-Magic, anti-Jim) is a pretty classless move. Does anyone not understand that this is a hit piece orchestrated by Jeanie and Magic?

mrm55
March 8th, 2017, 07:59 PM
None of us here knows the real story. If Jim thought there were fabrications in the story, he would certainly want to tell his side. I don't see him doing that. His silence speaks volumes.

Bottom line is Jim is gone. We all wanted that.

HeadInjury
March 10th, 2017, 01:53 PM
And right on cue, Jeanie's other favored reporter, Kevin Ding, comes out with an article trashing Mitch Kupchak. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697145-lakers-show-loyalty-matters-more-than-family-with-new-magic-pelinka-front-office

Ok, I'm done with the Jeanie bashing, as I've made whatever point there is to make. Like I said, I hope it works out. We will need a good deal of luck to keep our draft pick this year, but if we do we will have a nice young core, including a youngster or two available in trade for an upgrade. We've got a promising albeit inexperienced coach. And of course Jim being out of the picture won't hurt either.

HeadInjury
March 12th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Lakers lose to Philly when Randle's buzzer beater doesn't connect. Lakers are 1.5 games ahead of Phoenix in the tank standings. Next closest team is Orlando, 3.5 games behind. 10 of the Lakers' last 16 games are at home, but aside from one game against Sacramento (who is terrible without Cousins), the Lakers won't be favored in any of their remaining games. Phoenix has two remaining games with Sacramento, and a game each against Brooklyn and Orlando, plus are 4-6 in their last 10, so there's a pretty decent shot Lakers will hold onto the #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) worst record.

TooCool
March 13th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Lakers lose to Philly when Randle's buzzer beater doesn't connect. Lakers are 1.5 games ahead of Phoenix in the tank standings. Next closest team is Orlando, 3.5 games behind. 10 of the Lakers' last 16 games are at home, but aside from one game against Sacramento (who is terrible without Cousins), the Lakers won't be favored in any of their remaining games. Phoenix has two remaining games with Sacramento, and a game each against Brooklyn and Orlando, plus are 4-6 in their last 10, so there's a pretty decent shot Lakers will hold onto the #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) worst record.

Still can't believe that out of all the games they won, it was stupidly against Phoenix.

HeadInjury
March 14th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Zubac with 25 points and 11 rebounds last night in 30 minutes. Nothing else worth mentioning.

HeadInjury
March 19th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Lakers lose to Cavs 125-120. D'Lo went off for 40. Irving had even more.

HeadInjury
March 20th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Orlando beats Philly and both are now 6 ahead of the Lakers in the win column. So now just a battle with Phoenix for the second worst record. Lakers 2 games ahead with 12 left.

Note there is no tiebreaker. If Lakers and Phoenix end up tied they will just split 2nd and 3rd place odds evenly.

TooCool
March 21st, 2017, 01:39 AM
Orlando beats Philly and both are now 6 ahead of the Lakers in the win column. So now just a battle with Phoenix for the second worst record. Lakers 2 games ahead with 12 left.

Note there is no tiebreaker. If Lakers and Phoenix end up tied they will just split 2nd and 3rd place odds evenly.

There is no way the Lakers **** this up right? Other than the lottery screwing us over. But even then, I think we're due for a #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick. The NBA still owes us from that Chris Paul fiasco.

HeadInjury
March 21st, 2017, 06:55 AM
Odds wise, it's basically just a coin flip's chance that we keep our pick.

mrm55
March 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
Shaq gets his bronze statute tomorrow.

"Before the Lakers (20-51) play the Minnesota Timberwolves (28-42) on Friday at Staples Center, more people will be part of O?Neal?s big night, beginning at 2 p.m. with a street festival that is free and open to the general public.

Then at 4 p.m., several Lakers guests ? including a former coach (Phil Jackson), a former executive (Jerry West), a Hall of Fame center (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and former teammates (Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Gary Payton, Devean George, Brian Cook) ? will witness the unveiling of O?Neal?s statue, which will be suspended 10 feet above the ground at Star Plaza.

The statue of the towering big man will share the same space with other Lakers luminaries, including a dazzling point guard (Magic Johnson), a late broadcaster (Chick Hearn), an accomplished player and executive known as Mr. Clutch (West) and another dominant center who relied on a skyhook (Abdul-Jabbar)."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/face-747357-validated-neal.html

HeadInjury
March 26th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Lakers only one-half game ahead of Phoenix in the standings now. Phoenix is in full tank mode, having lost 7 in a row. Phoenix has one more win though, which is significant as wins are hard to come by. Both teams have a tough schedule down the stretch. Phoenix's schedule is probably a little tougher.

mrm55
March 27th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Buss family feud over with Jeanie removing brother Jim as a trustee.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-jim-jeanie-buss-trust-20170326-story.html

HeadInjury
April 3rd, 2017, 10:42 AM
Lakers' win yesterday drops them to third in the tank standings, a half-game behind Phoenix. The Suns have lost 12 in a row. Both teams have 22 wins.

Lakers with 5 games left: @ San Antonio, Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans and @ Golden State.

Suns with 4 games left: Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas and @ Sacramento.

Would have to think that ending up tied with Phoenix would be a good result at this point.

Kings7
April 3rd, 2017, 11:57 AM
Lakers' win yesterday drops them to third in the tank standings, a half-game behind Phoenix. The Suns have lost 12 in a row. Both teams have 22 wins.

Lakers with 5 games left: @ San Antonio, Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans and @ Golden State.

Suns with 4 games left: Golden State, Oklahoma City, Dallas and @ Sacramento.

Would have to think that ending up tied with Phoenix would be a good result at this point.

Why would it be a good result to be tied w/Phoenix? I think Lakers would still be considered "third worst" since they have a better Conference record.

HeadInjury
April 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM
Why would it be a good result to be tied w/Phoenix? I think Lakers would still be considered "third worst" since they have a better Conference record.

My understanding is they will equally split the second and third place ping pong balls between them if they end up tied.

Kings7
April 4th, 2017, 01:17 AM
My understanding is they will equally split the second and third place ping pong balls between them if they end up tied.

I think you're correct. Well let's see if either team wins a game. Looks like LAL youngsters wanna win.

HeadInjury
April 4th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I think if they end with the same record, the League would resort to tiebreakers to determine the order of picks in the second round. Regarding the lottery, if they end up tied and if the 2nd and 3rd spots in the lottery have an odd number of number combinations, they would have to use tiebreakers to determine which team gets the one extra number combination. There's something like a thousand different number combinations, so that difference would be negligible.

HeadInjury
April 4th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Here's a good summary of where things currently stand lottery-wise: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19069426/nba-draft-lottery-odds-celtics-lakers-suns-chasing-top-picks

VEGASKING
April 5th, 2017, 08:53 AM
And thanks to the trade that keeps on giving the Celtics have the best record in the east and the best shot at the top pick. And the Nets #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) pick next season as well.

TooCool
April 5th, 2017, 09:04 PM
We beat the Spurs tonight... :facepalm:

Kings7
April 6th, 2017, 12:07 AM
We beat the Spurs tonight... :facepalm:

Nice win, lol. Lakers even rested Russell, gave Ingram limited minutes, but still managed to win. Suns last two games vs. Dallas and SAC, both winnable games.

HeadInjury
April 6th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Nice win, lol. Lakers even rested Russell, gave Ingram limited minutes, but still managed to win. Suns last two games vs. Dallas and SAC, both winnable games.

Luke tried his best to tank it, but a lineup of Black, MWP, Ennis, Nwaba and Robinson caught fire in the 4th. Can't ask the players to intentionally throw games, so I for one cannot get upset at the win.

HeadInjury
April 8th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Phoenix wins! Phoenix wins! Phoenix wins!

But so did we. :hairout:

TooCool
April 8th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Phoenix wins! Phoenix wins! Phoenix wins!

But so did we. :hairout:

The Lakers are being real stupid these last few games.

HeadInjury
April 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Phoenix wins again.

So naturally, we're up 14 in the 2nd.

HeadInjury
April 10th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Russell with the in and out and back in 3 at the buzzer to win it. His grandmother passed away yesterday and it was emotional for him. Lakers still 1 game behind Phoenix. Lakers have 2 games left, Phoenix only 1. A tie with Phoenix is the best they can do and this point. Lakers' 4-game win streak is not exactly timely.

TooCool
April 10th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Russell with the in and out and back in 3 at the buzzer to win it. His grandmother passed away yesterday and it was emotional for him. Lakers still 1 game behind Phoenix. Lakers have 2 games left, Phoenix only 1. A tie with Phoenix is the best they can do and this point. Lakers' 4-game win streak is not exactly timely.

Good for Russell for being clutch. I guess that helps down the line... but this 4 game winning streak. :facepalm: You do that at the beginning of the season, not when you need to tank.

Kings7
April 11th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Great WINS for Lakers. 4 in a row is HUGE. Now a win at GSW to wrap up the season would be nice.

mrm55
April 11th, 2017, 04:02 PM
It's a rumor, but makes perfect sense:

"Before Jim Buss was relieved of his position as vice president of basketball operations, the 57-year-old was reportedly trying to save his job by making some moves. Unfortunately for him, these moves jeopardized the future of the franchise with the team having to part ways with parts of the young core." Jeanie stopped him.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-jeanie-buss-prevented-jim-buss-from-mortgaging-future-in-trade-talks/2017/04/11/

HeadInjury
April 12th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Lakers win again, this time without Russell. New Orleans didn't play Boogie or Davis, so not a surprise victory. MWP started and had 18 points in what will almost certainly be his last home game as a Laker.

Phoenix got destroyed so the victory didn't cost us anything at this point. Lakers have one game left and there's no harm in rooting for them now as the 3rd seed in the lottery is guaranteed.

Lakers have a 46.9% chance of retaining their pick. If they don't, they'll have the 28th and 33rd picks in the draft. If they get a top-3 pick, the 33rd pick goes to Orlando.

mrm55
April 12th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Great article on Metta.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-plaschke-20170411-story.html

HeadInjury
May 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM
NBA Draft Lottery is tonight at 5 p.m on ESPN. Lakers with about a 47% chance of being in the top 3 and getting to keep their pick.

TooCool
May 16th, 2017, 10:06 AM
NBA Draft Lottery is tonight at 5 p.m on ESPN. Lakers with about a 47% chance of being in the top 3 and getting to keep their pick.

If it's anything like the NHL Draft Lottery, we're f***ed.

VEGASKING
May 16th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Lakers keeping the pick. Order of the top three after commercial break.

Second pick again. Boston #1. (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1.)

HeadInjury
May 16th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Yep, Top 3!

Keep our 2019 #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) as well.

VEGASKING
May 16th, 2017, 05:57 PM
So, Lonzo Ball getting his wish and staying in LA?

HeadInjury
May 16th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Yeah, they're going for Lonzo. Move Russell to the 2 or trade him.

HeadInjury
May 16th, 2017, 06:18 PM
For those of you keeping score:

2017: Lakers have the #2 and #28 picks in the draft. No second round pick.

2018: Both the Lakers' first and second round picks traded away, but will have Denver's second round pick.

2019: Lakers have their first round pick. Their second round pick is traded away, but will have Chicago's second round pick.

TooCool
May 17th, 2017, 12:28 PM
For those of you keeping score:

2017: Lakers have the #2 and #28 picks in the draft. No second round pick.

2018: Both the Lakers' first and second round picks traded away, but will have Denver's second round pick.

2019: Lakers have their first round pick. Their second round pick is traded away, but will have Chicago's second round pick.

So that Steve Nash trade that effed us good. Will that ever go to Philly now? I mean, it doesn't "expire" right? Whenever we pick out of the Top 3, I assume it still goes to them eventually?

mrm55
May 17th, 2017, 04:03 PM
So that Steve Nash trade that effed us good. Will that ever go to Philly now? I mean, it doesn't "expire" right? Whenever we pick out of the Top 3, I assume it still goes to them eventually?

PHI gets our First next year. No protection for us in 2018.

TooCool
May 17th, 2017, 04:43 PM
PHI gets our First next year. No protection for us in 2018.

Ah thank you. So the expiration date was 2018 :lol:

Lakers better stop sucking then.

HeadInjury
May 17th, 2017, 08:07 PM
And Orlando gets our second rounders this year and next instead of a first round pick.

HeadInjury
May 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Don McLean on Petros & Money was making a good case for selecting Kentucky's De'Andre Fox instead of Ball. A more versatile player in his view.

Fox destroyed the Bruins in their Sweet 16 rematch.

mervaldez
May 17th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Don McLean on Petros & Money was making a good case for selecting Kentucky's De'Andre Fox instead of Ball. A more versatile player in his view.

Fox destroyed the Bruins in their Sweet 16 rematch.

I'm good with, just cuz:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/kristine-leahy-issues-powerful-response-to-lavar-ball%E2%80%99s-threatening-comments-on-fs1/ar-BBBfwMp?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Can't imagine Jeanie being too happy with this.

If it's anything like the NHL Draft Lottery, we're f***ed.

No worries, it was the NBA draft (Celtics/Lakers ping pong balls chilled, filled with helium, just plain searched for and pulled out, etc)

ucsdguy1
May 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Am I crazy that Lonzo Ball just seems a tad bit overrated, and afraid his dad is going to spout off on potential free agent targets down the road that may impact who wants to come here..?

TooCool
May 18th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Am I crazy that Lonzo Ball just seems a tad bit overrated, and afraid his dad is going to spout off on potential free agent targets down the road that may impact who wants to come here..?

Not crazy at all. I mean I don't know the guy at all, but judging by how he's presented on 710 ESPN (on my drive home), he sounds like a team cancer with his attitude and his dad.

mrm55
May 19th, 2017, 02:25 PM
We start being a real team now, like the last 5 of 6 games showed.

Hopefully we won't be having anymore #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) picks for a long time.

So my vote is to keep the that #2 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) pick in this very deep draft. I'd say it's 70-30 Paul George comes on his own to us next year. No need to give up anything.

HeadInjury
May 19th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Agree. Also, Paul George is a tad overrated in the media, in the sense that some act like he's a superstar. He a real solid player, but a notch below the top level. Trading a couple of our younger guys for him would be counterproductive. Need to add him to the existing roster.

Seems pretty clear he wants to come here after next season.

I read that Atlanta offered Indy 4 first round picks for him at the trade deadline and Indy refused. None of those would have been lottery picks (2 were Atlanta's picks, one was Cleveland's and the other was a lottery-protected pick from a third team. So 3 of the 4 would have been in the 20's. Still, that's a lot to turn down.

mrm55
May 25th, 2017, 10:49 AM
There is only one player the Lakers will not part with this summer: Brandon Ingram. per Magic Johnson.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/25/lakers-trade-rumors-brandon-ingram-untouchable

mrm55
June 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
During the Finals heard someone say Lakers want to emulate Warriors, where all players positions are interchangeable.

Read this scenario somewhere, it sounds interesting,. Keep in mind Philly is loaded with talented, young bigs. They need a guard, not another big.

1) Lakers draft Lonzo Ball with the #2 pick
2) Philly drafts Josh Jackson with #3 , then trades him to the Lakers for D?Angelo Russell and their #28 pick.

What do you think?

TooCool
June 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I watched a little of the Finals and it's just ridiculous to see what it has become. It's an All-Star game to me. They don't utilize the shot clock and just chuck 3 pointers left and right. What if Kobe was in his prime and this happened? I think he could easily put up 50 points a night just playing this type of ridiculous ball.

mrm55
June 18th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Yes!

Paul George has told the Indiana Pacers that he will not re-sign with the club after next season and the All-Star forward would prefer to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers when he is a free agent 2018, The Vertical reported Sunday.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19672053/paul-george-tells-indiana-pacers-leave-2018

HeadInjury
June 18th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Multiple sources reporting (Woj/Shelbourne) that Paul George has told Indy that he won't re-sign and prefers the Lakers.

To me, George is trying to get traded so the Lakers get his Bird rights and he will have one last shot next season to qualify for the super max. He isn't demanding a trade and says he intends to play out the year, but you can kind of reads between the lines.

Lakers have the leverage but Indy won't give him away. A package of Clarkson, Black or Brewer, the 28th pick and a future pick or two might get it done.

Of course the Lakers could simply wait, but if PG13 is traded and then qualifies for the super max, his new team could offer him something like $70 million more. You have to figure that under such a scenario, PG13 could get over his love of the Lakers.

HeadInjury
June 18th, 2017, 02:50 PM
mrm55 beat me by a hair

HeadInjury
June 20th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Woj reporting that the Lakers have traded D'Angelo Russell and Mozgov to the Nets for Brook Lopez and the 27th pick.

Lopez's contract expires after next season.

How bad was Mozgov's contract? It cost us Russell just to get rid of it.

Lopez's contract expires after this season.

I think the plan is to trade for PG13 and have cap space for LeBron to sign as a free agent in a year.

mrm55
June 20th, 2017, 03:37 PM
This time you scooped me.

With that trade, it looks like Ball or De'Aaron Fox.

A Nets fan reaction:

"As a Nets fan, I can only take so much solace in the fact that we’re incredibly good at supplementing the future success of every franchise we come in contact with.

Welcome to Brooklyn, D’Angelo, where your hopes and dreams will die one 22-win season at a time. "

HeadInjury
June 20th, 2017, 04:02 PM
There's a few different ways of looking at the trade.

1. Maybe they have Paul George close to wrapped up and plan to play him at the 2 with Ball at the point.

2. Maybe they have info from someone like LeBron or Cousins that they want to come here after next year. If that's the case (particularly LeBron), you make whatever trade needed to clear of the cap space.

3. Maybe they aren't high on D'Lo and they can justify it based on Mozgov's horrendous contract. Magic just thinks Jim and Mitch drafted the wrong guy and signed the wrong guy and he's just cleaning up their mess.

If Randle goes to Indy, I think it's a good indication they think LeBron is coming. If it's Clarkson going, perhaps not.

2018-19 Lineup?

Ball
George
Ingram
James
Zubac

With Nance and either Clarkson or Randle off the bench.

mrm55
June 20th, 2017, 05:09 PM
#3 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3)

Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account
@ramonashelburne

"Lakers had called multiple teams in lottery about acquiring Russell this week. No takers. He becomes the guy who helps them get off Moz $"

FortyFour
June 20th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Russell a victim of bad contracts. Arguably their best player traded for tax relief they don't even need yet. Frustrating but hard to judge until all the pieces fall into place.

TooCool
June 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
Don't like this trade as I don't want the Lakers to draft Lonzo... meh.

But geez.. everyone knew how stupid that Mozgov deal was. Someone remind me... why did we overpay him again? Because Luke Walton saw potential in him or something?

mrm55
June 21st, 2017, 12:32 PM
Don't like this trade as I don't want the Lakers to draft Lonzo... meh.

But geez.. everyone knew how stupid that Mozgov deal was. Someone remind me... why did we overpay him again? Because Luke Walton saw potential in him or something?

Buss and Kupchak desperately trying to save their jobs.

HeadInjury
June 22nd, 2017, 12:52 PM
As expected, Nick Young opted out of the last year of his contract.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19701654/nick-young-los-angeles-lakers-decline-player-option-2017-18-season

ucsdguy1
June 22nd, 2017, 01:46 PM
As expected, Nick Young opted out of the last year of his contract.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19701654/nick-young-los-angeles-lakers-decline-player-option-2017-18-season
https://i.imgur.com/dzyrUl2.gif

FortyFour
June 22nd, 2017, 07:01 PM
Here we go.

HeadInjury
June 22nd, 2017, 08:36 PM
After trading the 28th pick for the 30th and 42nd picks, Lakers select Lonzo Ball at #2, Kyle Kuzma at #27 (Power Forward - Utah), Josh Hart at #30 (Shooting Guard - Villanova) and Thomas Bryant at #42 (Center - Indiana).

TooCool
June 22nd, 2017, 09:31 PM
Pretty good haul overall.

HeadInjury
June 22nd, 2017, 10:24 PM
Hart is a senior, I think the only senior drafted in the first round. Commentators seem to have a lot of good things to say about him. One of the ESPN guys said he would immediately be a rotation player. Has a good all around game.

Byrant is a good three-point shooter for a center, shooting 38%. He's 6' 11" and has a 7' 6" wingspan. I think this probably means the end of Tarik Black's time with the Lakers.

HeadInjury
June 22nd, 2017, 11:31 PM
Lakers have also signed undrafted shooting guard PJ Dozier from South Carolina, who made the Final 4 this year.

Ice24
June 23rd, 2017, 10:35 AM
Lakers have also signed undrafted shooting guard PJ Dozier from South Carolina, who made the Final 4 this year.

DJ's son?