PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018

mudfisher
December 1st, 2017, 09:37 AM
Pretty even with no obvious Group of Death. However, Mexico, Sweden, and South Korea probably got the worst of the Draw and landed Germany.

Go Deutstchland! Repeat!!!

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24131075_10155447878442946_2773832400757898620_n.p ng?oh=5e4f4991f2972c7e27c811f02f5e45ed&oe=5A99DEA6

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2017, 12:22 PM
Agreed that's a tough group. I have some Mexican friends who are already predicting 0 goals and last in the group :)

England looks to have a pretty favorable group. Group D should be fun!

My early 1-2 per group predictions with not much thought:

Group A: Russia, Uruguay
Group B: Spain, Portugal
Group C: France/Denmark (but maybe Australia)
Group D: Argentina, Iceland (really a toss-up for #2) (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2%29)
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland
Group F: Germany, South Korea
Group G: Belgium, England (I would put England #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) but it'd be just like them to falter)
Group H: Japan, Poland

05/29/93
December 1st, 2017, 09:18 PM
What group is the US in? Oh, yeah. Nevermind. Still can't believe they didn't make it. SMH.

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2017, 10:23 PM
What group is the US in? Oh, yeah. Nevermind. Still can't believe they didn't make it. SMH.
Group I: USA, Netherlands, Chile, Italy

True group of death

ucsdguy1
June 13th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Well we got 2026.

Looking forward to our group games in Seattle, Guadalajara, and Toronto, then playing Mexico in the knockout stage in Mexico City :23smile:

Moog
June 13th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Woot!

Moog
June 14th, 2018, 09:59 AM
5-0 Russia........I think the World Cup is rigged!!!!

lolz

ucsdguy1
June 14th, 2018, 12:20 PM
5-0 Russia........I think the World Cup is rigged!!!!

lolz
I told someone this morning it wouldn't surprise me at all if somehow Russia gets to the semis or final :)

Seriously though Saudi Arabia was awful

mudfisher
June 14th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Russia (70) and Saudi Arabia (67) are the two worst teams in the tournament.

mudfisher
June 15th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Poor Moroccan just scored an Own Goal for the win for IRAN in extra time.

However, I do like how he gets rewarded with the goal and his name is placed on the scoresheet on the Iran side of the scoresheet. I think that is hilarious.

ucsdguy1
June 15th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Poor Moroccan just scored an Own Goal for the win for IRAN in extra time.

However, I do like how he gets rewarded with the goal and his name is placed on the scoresheet on the Iran side of the scoresheet. I think that is hilarious.
Man I turned that game off in about the 60th. brutal. big one in about an hour.

watched Uruguay/Egypt this morning. Uruguay should've been up 3-0 or 4-0. That Cavani miss off the bar, and that Suarez 3 touches instead of 1...man.

What party?
June 15th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The Ronaldos are playing the Ramos's !!! OMG footy is dope AF. ;)

side note: we're boozing for lunch, right? it seems like a must.

ucsdguy1
June 15th, 2018, 02:59 PM
That was awesome. And of course I'm talking about how CR7 rolled up his shorts before taking that kick.

Seriously though that was so much fun to watch.

I don't know about lunch What party, but I'm planning on it at 3 am for the france game, and pollo saltado at 9 for peru.

What party?
June 15th, 2018, 04:01 PM
That was awesome. And of course I'm talking about how CR7 rolled up his shorts before taking that kick.

Seriously though that was so much fun to watch.

I don't know about lunch What party, but I'm planning on it at 3 am for the france game, and pollo saltado at 9 for peru.

France at 3 am eh? My friend's in town this weekend from NY and i'm taking him to Weho (since he missed Pride)tonight. Pretty sure i'm going to be sleep deprived anyway, so i'm with you with more du vin for the France game. Viva!

ucsdguy1
June 16th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Ha I actually did it. France looks like an all star team that hasn’t found cohesion yet. Tough break for the aussies.

Messi, my my my.

What party?
June 16th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Ha I actually did it. France looks like an all star team that hasn?t found cohesion yet. Tough break for the aussies.

Messi, my my my.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ab/63/de/ab63dead299dfaefd3ac3ed5454afe28--poster-quotes-art-posters.jpg

ucsdguy1
June 16th, 2018, 01:00 PM
And the announcer of the Peru game getting a cool runnings blast off in the second half was awesome. Highly entertaining game

mudfisher
June 16th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Messi has a Penalty Success rating of 45%. He should not be taking penalties. They have Angel Di Maria or Sergio Aguero for that.

But I think Messi's ego won't let him give up the shot.

ucsdguy1
June 18th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Oh that Harry Kane. One could argue England is just the european version of the US team with a bit more skill?

Belgium looked quite good.

empire
June 18th, 2018, 04:53 PM
England did a good defensive job today, to bad for the lack of offence but I think they will get better as the games go on.

ucsdguy1
June 20th, 2018, 08:49 AM
https://the18.com/sites/default/files/u100001394/2018-06-20.gif

mudfisher
June 20th, 2018, 10:20 AM
https://the18.com/sites/default/files/u100001394/2018-06-20.gif

LOL, It would have been funny and fitting for Ronaldo to get a RED card from the review he requested. But no review ever happened.

NobleSavage
June 20th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Watching Iran v Anyonewithtalent is so frickin painful

mudfisher
June 20th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Watching Iran v Anyonewithtalent is so frickin painful

The Iranian Diving Squad must have subbed for the soccer team.

What party?
June 21st, 2018, 12:43 PM
OMG Croatia!!! I think I just found "my" team. ����

Moog
June 21st, 2018, 08:38 PM
Argentina = individuals not a team.

Poor Messi.

mudfisher
June 22nd, 2018, 07:09 AM
It was good to see a obvious dive get called out and reversal of a Penalty.

However, the ref should have given Neymar a Yellow for the dive.

Maybe late justice Neymar got a yellow a few minutes later.

Brazil ended up scoring 2 goals to beat Costa Rica in ET.

ucsdguy1
June 22nd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Wow Nigeria. 2nd is definitely up for grabs now, although Iceland has a pretty difficult route.

ucsdguy1
June 23rd, 2018, 06:40 PM
I had a friend who bet both the Germany/Sweden and Mexico/SoKo games over/under at 3 today.

Wowzers

Moog
June 26th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Argentina by the skin of their teeth.

Nice to see Messi get one.

On to the knockout round!

What party?
June 27th, 2018, 09:51 AM
South Korea scoring in injury time like a boss! Nice job guys, Mexico owes you a drink. For sure Ktown is going to be all smiles today. Congrats to both clubs.

What party?
June 28th, 2018, 12:41 PM
England definitely making the Belgium team nervous. Intense!!

What party?
July 6th, 2018, 01:15 PM
These quarters are seriously ramping up to something special. Brazil got bounced!!! Augusto (8) had two great looks and shanked twice after scoring that header. Bruh. I know you're a sub but dayuuuuum. Belgium's goalie- 'hand of god' save on Neymar?
:flame::beerchug:
Good times. Can't wait for tomorrow...

ucsdguy1
July 6th, 2018, 03:32 PM
This Swedish paper's introduction of its players to England had me laughing

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/9mdAnp/dear-england-youve-got-it-in-the-bag

Well, he’s tall and blond and all that. And half Danish. But a more thorough look into his cv will tell you that he’s literally a s*** Jamie Vardy

empire
July 7th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Bye Bye Sweden....

LetTigerIn
July 9th, 2018, 10:53 AM
The English EWF "September" song is the best so far of World Cup.

What party?
July 9th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Ha! Fantastic. I spent fifteen minutes talking about the Croatia v. Russia game with a coworker, we're going to try and sneak out tomorrow for the France v. Belgium second half (shhhhh). Croatia totally gutted that win out in amazing fashion, England will be playing a tired team which has to be an advantage at this point. Then again 1966* was still a long time ago for a reason, best of luck to them both.

*Mad Men did a scene where Draper and the English guy in the office watched the match (which is the only reason I know about the Brits last cup win because the English dude was supa stoked that they beat 'the Jerry’s'-can i call German people Jerrys' ala world war I slang?- ) at a pub.
:clap2:

Moog
July 10th, 2018, 08:48 AM
^^ Nice Mad Men reference. I forgot about that.

England V France in the final.

Rebecca: You?re not ready at all!

Lane: We have time. The first half of a football match is just flirting.

Rebecca: Well, I?d like to get there, have a nice seat, enjoy the chit-chat.

Lane: If it?s a matter of you and I having a nice lunch, perhaps a ride in the boats in the park.

Rebecca: You don?t even know what?s good for you. Spending an afternoon in the park with our friends?

Lane: One, they?re your friends, and recent ones at that. Two, I have no fond memories of hours spending out watching football. Three?..

Rebecca: You love football!

Lane: No, that?s my father. And I hate this business of bringing England over in pieces. It?s strictly for the homesick.

Rebecca: But [the pub] is for immigrants like us.

Lane: (sighing) How lovely your face becomes when you tell me you need something.

Rebecca: I?d be happy if you?d just pretend to have a good time.

Lane: Then pretend, I shall.

Later, the scene moves to a British pub in NYC. In the background, a black-and-white TV is showing the end of the match at Wembley. Pub patrons in English garb, including Lane, celebrate by singing ?God Save the Queen.?

Well after the match has ended, the Lanes join Edwin Baker, a Jaguar executive, and his wife for dinner at a quiet table.

Mrs. Baker, directing her comments at the men: Now I want both of you to make a pledge that this is the end of football for some time.

Edwin: We beat the bloody Jerries for the World Cup, darling! That is the end of football.

Cut to the agency?s conference room, where the partners are gathered for a meeting.

Lane: Excuse me, gentlemen, if I may, I have a bit of new business.

Pete: Taking leave again?

Lane: Not at all. I don?t know if you are aware, but England won the World Cup!

Roger: Cup of what?

What party?
July 10th, 2018, 09:26 AM
^^ Nice Mad Men reference. I forgot about that.

England V France in the final.
Ha! Thanks. Glad you liked it. Might start re-watching Mad Men. I listened to a Nerdist podcast that described that show as a testament to loneliness. Which seems pretty spot-on, so i'd like to watch it through that filter. Plus the whole Jon Hamm free balling in those tight suits like a Boss! [sorry, sorry, sorry, if its funny to me i type it]

Anyway, everyone thinks France is a gimme but if the Belgium goalie shows up, it will be a dog fight. But if he doesn't, 8-0 France. Pretty excited. Since i'm that person: Belgium v. Croatia final. At this point there are no bad combinations of teams.

Moog
July 10th, 2018, 10:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnQIs3J35Dc

ucsdguy1
July 10th, 2018, 10:29 AM
now that everyone in England seemingly feels there's no ceiling, it'd be about perfect time for them to slip up.

France/Belgium is hard to call man. France's lineup is just a who's who of talent, but Belgium are no slackers. But because Belgium and England have the most Tottenham players left, I'm going Belgium/England final.

Belgium 3-2 over France.
England 2-1 over Croatia.

And I'll probably be wrong on both.

Moog
July 10th, 2018, 12:57 PM
France is in.

One more to go.

jammer06
July 10th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, there's a co2 shortage in the UK, it's gonna be ugly tomorrow when we show up in London

What party?
July 10th, 2018, 01:35 PM
France is in.

One more to go.

Vainly seeking the false romance of martyrdom my anti-France stance fails. I may have told a room full of strangers to go to hell today. *giggling* So a mixed day. =)

One more to go indeed.

Moog
July 10th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, there's a co2 shortage in the UK, it's gonna be ugly tomorrow when we show up in London

Brace yourself!!!

ucsdguy1
July 10th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I was way off

What party?
July 10th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I was way off

it was kind of stinker game don't blame yourself. there were way too many offensive threats on Belgium that did nothing. welp, better luck tomorrow.

Moog
July 11th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Current champs: Croatia

The UFWC title reaches the penultimate stage of the FIFA World Cup as reigning Unofficial Football World Champions Croatia play original UFWC champions England. Croatia took the title from Denmark in the round of 16, then beat Russia in the quarter finals – with both wins coming via penalty shoot-outs. England were the first UFWC champions in 1873 – 145 years ago. They beat Colombia in the round of 16 and Sweden in the quarter finals to set up this clash. As a reminder, whoever wins the 2018 World Cup final will unify the UFWC and FIFA titles and become undisputed unofficial and official football world champions.

England wins today, they become the new (unofficial) champs!

https://www.ufwc.co.uk/

King Ludwig
July 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Did the San Jose Sharks kidnap the English soccer team and take their place???

What party?
July 11th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Woot! Woot! Get it Croatia. Awesome job!!!

There are more people currently on the 405 than in the entire country of Croatia.

Stoked for SUNDAY FUNDAY.

ucsdguy1
July 11th, 2018, 02:19 PM
you know that feeling when you do your best to barricade yourself as you're taping the game to watch later, and at 2:10 someone walks in your office "dude how did England lose?"

jammer06
July 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM
So far everyone around me is just kinda deflated but nothing too crazy. Then again I ain't looking for trouble.

Moog
July 11th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Welp, France V Croatia......I don't think anybody had that one picked.

Moog
July 13th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Predictions on the Final?

I'm going with France.

ucsdguy1
July 13th, 2018, 02:49 PM
France 1-0

jammer06
July 14th, 2018, 11:35 PM
It would be a shocker if France doesn't win

What party?
July 15th, 2018, 09:57 AM
https://youtu.be/ngf2zHq4FEI

Moog
July 16th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I guess nobody thought it would be a 6 goal final. It was a fun one. Would have been nicer if it was a bit closer.

...and really Russia?!?!? Over 20 minutes to set up the stage and bring out the trophy?

....and nobody checked the weather forecast to see that maybe they should have had more than one umbrella on hand?!?!?!?

Hilarious. Bravo to the French and Croatian Presidents who did not care at all about being soaked in the downpour! Classy!